PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I've never seen a delay of game penalty that shouldn't have been called

DaFace
12-06-2020, 10:23 PM
I mean...WTF was that?

TLO
12-06-2020, 10:24 PM
Very odd. Butker comes through in the clutch though.

pugsnotdrugs19
Yeah that was weird AF.

Normally they won’t call it for even an extra second after it hits zero.

mlyonsd
Yeah that was BS

RealSNR
12-06-2020, 10:25 PM
What's this ref's name again?

I want to remember it so I can curse him loudly all night the next time he does a game of ours

petegz28
Clock is supposed to run through 0, meaning to -1....that was a bullshit flag as was the holding on the td pass

Hammock Parties
Just awful.

Fortunately we are a team full of motherfucking studs.

SupDock
12-06-2020, 10:26 PM
Someone blew the whistle before the play clock even hit zero. Think about that

I have no idea how that could happen.

Shiver Me Timbers
it was total bs
just like Hills catch in the endzone that was ruled incomplete. should have been reviewed "upstairs".

TwistedChief
It was on par with the infamous 'forward progress' Triplette debacle.

Bl00dyBizkitz
12-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Normally it goes down to the zero for an extra second then the whistle is blown.

The whistle was blown with 1 on the clock. And you can't argue it either.

What in the fuck?

kstater
Did they ever switch back over to the stadium clocks? I know they started keeping time on the field at one point. Wonder if that is what it was. NBCs graphic wasn't the actual clock

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

petegz28
it was total bs
just like Hills catch in the endzone that was ruled incomplete. should have been reviewed "upstairs".

Would have been had they ruled it a TD.....since they called it INC it was on Andy's replay guy to put the nachos down and do his job. He almost cost us the game.

carcosa
That was next level ref incompetence. Almost beautifully bad

tyecopeland
12-06-2020, 10:28 PM
I wonder if it had something to do with the clock malfunction earlier in the quarter. They announced that they would keep the clock on the field. So I am speculating that one of the officials was keeping the play clock by hand still and had it a couple seconds early.

suzzer99
12-06-2020, 10:28 PM
That was the quickest trigger on delay of game I’ve ever seen.

BossChief
12-06-2020, 10:29 PM
In the same game as a touchdown catch isn’t called a TD catch after never touching the ground.

Weird game.

Indian Chief
How many times over the years have you seen the clock hit zero and then the ball gets snapped, with no flag? And when it's brought up in the broadcast, they explain it by saying the ref has to watch the clock and then when he sees zero, he shifts his eyes to the snap. In that second or so, the ball is usually in the QB's hands and they don't call a penalty. So how the **** do you explain throwing a flag and blowing the whistle while there is still actual time on the goddamn clock?

Shiver Me Timbers
need black op to chime in but I am thinking the star chamber does not want a chiefs repeat

FloridaMan88
12-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Every WTF moment went against the Chiefs tonight and they won.

Crazy shit like the non challenge.

But in the end... Mahomes.

KCUnited
12-06-2020, 10:31 PM
Looked like blackops to me

siberian khatru
How many times over the years have you seen the clock hit zero and then the ball gets snapped, with no flag? And when it's brought up in the broadcast, they explain it by saying the ref has to watch the clock and then when he sees zero, he shifts his eyes to the snap. In that second or so, the ball is usually in the QB's hands and they don't call a penalty. So how the **** do you explain throwing a flag and blowing the whistle while there is still actual time on the goddamn clock?

Happened in the Super Bowl

Bwana
They tried to horse **** us, but Butner was the man.

DaFace
12-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Did they ever switch back over to the stadium clocks? I know they started keeping time on the field at one point. Wonder if that is what it was. NBCs graphic wasn't the actual clock

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That's POSSIBLE. I'd love to know if that was the case because it's the only explanation that makes some level of sense.

TLO
Every WTF moment went against the Chiefs tonight and they won.

Crazy shit like the non challenge.

But in the end... Mahomes.

There were some very odd moments. Not all officiating related by any means either.

But these guys still find a way to win.

chiefzilla1501
As I said in the other thread... Think I might scream if people keep bitching about butker missing 1 point XPs when he's been damn near automatic on crucial 3 pt FGs. Guy is an absolute killer.

493rd
12-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Inexcusable and that one kinda felt egregious. NFL better reprimand those assholes.

Rain Man
Those are the types of things that really damage credibility.

If they were keeping time on the field, I guess I can see it being a legitimate error or miscommunication. But they need to explain that if it happened, and I question whether that's the case. The Chiefs were clearly running down the play clock before the snap and they were all shocked at the call out on the field. So they were looking at a clock when they snapped it.

SupDock
I don't know how something like that isn't reviewable.

I mean I get it, it's a little bit subjective when they blow the whistle after the clock hit zero, but the clock never hit zero

Just bizarre

Dayze
12-06-2020, 10:34 PM
That was next level ref incompetence. Almost beautifully bad

So incompetent it’s almost intentional

SupDock
12-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Those are the types of things that really damage credibility.

If they were keeping time on the field, I guess I can see it being a legitimate error or miscommunication. But they need to explain that if it happened, and I question whether that's the case. The Chiefs were clearly running down the play clock before the snap and they were all shocked at the call out on the field. So they were looking at a clock when they snapped it.

I was expecting Andy to look more upset than he did

I didn't feel like I saw a lot of complaining at all, which I thought was strange

KCUnited
12-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Could've been one of Triplette's 2 twins

RINGLEADER
12-06-2020, 10:37 PM
Hopefully the lesson learned is that we have the ability to put 45 up every game and we can't rely on the refs to not try to take TDs and FGs away by any means possible.

KChiefs1
12-06-2020, 10:46 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/9372NkYW5Z9Rx8y1DX/giphy.gif

JakeF
12-06-2020, 10:50 PM
It's usually goes the other way. The refs usually wait too long before blowing the whistle and the announcers have to explain how the refs wait to look and then wait until the clock in completely on 0 before looking back at the ball to see if it's been snapped.

This went completely the other way. I'm not even sure the clock at hit 0 yet. Pretty shitty.

KChiefs1
12-06-2020, 10:50 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIP6lo3eZFbMDcru/giphy.gif

Megatron96
12-06-2020, 10:51 PM
That was maybe the weirdest thing I've ever seen a group of refs eff up in a game. How do you call DoG when there's still "1" on the clock?

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Foiled!

12-06-2020, 11:06 PM
It was on par with the infamous 'forward progress' Triplette debacle.

Except we won this time

oldman
12-06-2020, 11:15 PM
It was the game clock that had a problem, not the play clock. That said, the ball was snapped just as the play clock went from 1 to 0.

JakeF
12-06-2020, 11:27 PM
It was the game clock that had a problem, not the play clock. That said, the ball was snapped just as the play clock went from 1 to 0. They're supposed to turn to see if the ball was snapped AFTER the clock hits zero.

DaFace
12-06-2020, 11:39 PM
They're supposed to turn to see if the ball was snapped AFTER the clock hits zero.And they are regularly VERY lenient about it. I know I've seen a time or two this year where I would swear it was at -2 and didn't get called.

BigRedChief
12-06-2020, 11:42 PM
Another question. Why wasn’t the bench paying attention that we are running the clock down. We have 3 time outs, why wasn’t one used?

Pitt Gorilla
12-06-2020, 11:43 PM
As I said in the other thread... Think I might scream if people keep bitching about butker missing 1 point XPs when he's been damn near automatic on crucial 3 pt FGs. Guy is an absolute killer.

Exactly this. People are stupid.

Ron Swanson
12-06-2020, 11:43 PM
Another question. Why wasn’t the bench paying attention that we are running the clock down. We have 3 time outs, why wasn’t one used?

Didn't need to, it was snapped in plenty of time.

DaFace
12-06-2020, 11:46 PM
For the record, this wasn't related to the clocks not working. They're fine.

https://i.redd.it/zguwfaff1p361.jpg

BigRedChief
12-06-2020, 11:47 PM
Didn't need to, it was snapped in plenty of time.

Evidently not. So there was a need. No reason to cut it that close.

Ron Swanson
12-06-2020, 11:49 PM

The ref that threw that flag should be suspended and investigated. Missing a bang bang play at full speed is one thing, that reeked of corruption.

jerryaldini
12-06-2020, 11:55 PM
Yeah that is so egregious needs to be addressed by the league. Short field easily could have sent us to OT. Imagine the meltdown after the holding, missed TD...

Megatron96
12-07-2020, 12:02 AM

Wtf? Are you trolling, or are you just really stupid? No, this has to be sarcasm. no one's this stupid.

staylor26
12-07-2020, 12:04 AM

Why didn’t the bench call a TO when the ball was snapped before the clock hit 0?

Is this a serious question?

Demonpenz
12-07-2020, 12:05 AM
They can't just put a buzzer with a light around it like a normal sport can they?

Ghost of Maslowski
12-07-2020, 12:09 AM
been watching NFL games for more than 30 years and never once seen that happen

seen plenty of plays, including one late in the last Super Bowl, not get called for delay with the play clock on zero though

of course, in this same game, a KC WR caught a TD pass that was somehow ruled incomplete despite the ball never touching the ground, and none of these garbage refs actually saw that happen, either

Redbled
12-07-2020, 12:16 AM
The call appears to be crap.

What I don’t understand is why not take the TO with 1 second left allowing your kicker to kick it at any point in the play clock he wants to. Seems that it would almost always take more time off and certainly safer as well. You see that all the time where coaches say I want a TO with 1 second on the play clock.

Megatron96
12-07-2020, 12:25 AM

What I don’t understand is why not take the TO with 1 second left allowing your kicker to kick it at any point in the play clock he wants to. Seems that it would almost always take more time off and certainly safer as well. You see that all the time where coaches say I want a TO with 1 second on the play clock.

There was still a "2" on the stupid clock when they snapped it. Why would they call a TO when the ball had obviously already been snapped? Just in case the refs decided to have a unanimous group brainfart? A brainfart that has never happened in the history of the NFL?

morphius
12-07-2020, 01:05 AM

It had been answered here already, but why bother if you are out there in plenty of time, everything is set and the bball gets off in time. If things looked doubtful, sure. But hiking the ball with one on the clock is common.

UK_Chief
12-07-2020, 01:35 AM
Was there a clear offsides that wasn’t called on Denver too?

KC_Connection
12-07-2020, 02:14 AM
Refs were trying to keep the game close for the entire 2nd half. This was just a particularly egregious example of it.

Another reason why you should put bad teams away while you have the chance in this league before the refereeing can get involved.

KC_Connection
12-07-2020, 02:15 AM
I was expecting Andy to look more upset than he did

I didn't feel like I saw a lot of complaining at all, which I thought was strange

Well that would fall right in line with his behavior the rest of the game. He coached like he didn't give a shit about this one at all.

Rasputin
12-07-2020, 02:22 AM

We got hosed on that one.

MIAdragon
12-07-2020, 02:22 AM
There was still a "2" on the stupid clock when they snapped it. Why would they call a TO when the ball had obviously already been snapped? Just in case the refs decided to have a unanimous group brainfart? A brainfart that has never happened in the history of the NFL?

Running clock is exactly what he’s supposed to do, every last second. We got hit with a shit call, it’s not on him or the bench.

Rasputin
12-07-2020, 02:25 AM
I'm more upset about the Tyreek Hill touchdown that wasn't called a touchdown nore reviewed. I thought all scoring plays were to be reviewed.

KC_Connection
12-07-2020, 02:25 AM
I'm more upset about the Tyreek Hill touchdown that wasn't called a touchdown nore reviewed. I thought all scoring plays were to be reviewed.
Wasn't a scoring play. They called it incomplete.

MIAdragon
12-07-2020, 02:26 AM

Still puzzled why we rushed the punt?

PunkinDrublic
12-07-2020, 02:36 AM
Well I’m sure the parties responsible for that mistake will be held accountable by the league.

-King-
12-07-2020, 02:43 AM
Still puzzled why we rushed the punt?

Cause literally no one thought that he caught it. It wasn't rushed, it was a normal procedure punt.

-King-
12-07-2020, 02:43 AM
I mean...WTF was that?

Bullshit is what it was. I don't understand why the players and coaches didn't seem upset about it though

Mahomes_Is_God
12-07-2020, 02:58 AM
The league is getting desperate. They realize we're just going to steamroll everybody so they're going out of their way to make our games close.

Rasputin
12-07-2020, 03:21 AM
Wasn't a scoring play. They called it incomplete.

Right but league still should have got it right it still should have been reviewed and I'm just saying out of principle. They got it wrong.

Bob Dole
12-07-2020, 04:51 AM
Cause literally no one thought that he caught it. It wasn't rushed, it was a normal procedure punt.

With 9 seconds left on the play clock? It was rushed.

SuperBowl4
12-07-2020, 04:54 AM
over officiating jerks! -> http://youtu.be/HCosRfNZnEw

jallmon
12-07-2020, 05:10 AM
That's POSSIBLE. I'd love to know if that was the case because it's the only explanation that makes some level of sense.

Yes. I've heard it explained many times that the ref watches the clock, when the clock shows zero, he/she looks down to see if the ball is snapped. On this play, the whistle/flag were at 01 on the clock we saw on tv (not sure exactly what "clock" we were seeing).

So nice to have a kicker that says fuck it and kicks it again, but he shouldn't have to do that.

Coogs
12-07-2020, 05:29 AM
Right but league still should have got it right it still should have been reviewed and I'm just saying out of principle. They got it wrong.

This! Refs are only supposed to call what they see. You can not call what you "think" happened. The ref that was emphatically calling it incomplete was on the wrong side of the play to even have a chance of seeing the ball hit the ground. Just because he thought the ball probably hit the ground he made the wrong call. League should have buzzed in there.

Damn near 17 points taken away from the Chiefs again last night against a West opponent. Twice in one season.

Sassy Squatch
12-07-2020, 05:37 AM
There was a problem with the clock earlier in the game. Wonder if that had anything to do with it and the TV clock wasn't lined up quite right with the actual on field clock.

Frazod
12-07-2020, 06:27 AM
Well I’m sure the parties responsible for that mistake will be held accountable by the league.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get right on that.

https://i.gifer.com/DXo4.gif

digger
12-07-2020, 07:00 AM
This had all the markings of a "Trap" game and we over came a lot, add this to the list...

htismaqe
12-07-2020, 07:05 AM
There was a problem with the clock earlier in the game. Wonder if that had anything to do with it and the TV clock wasn't lined up quite right with the actual on field clock.

Pretty sure they showed a replay with the actual game clock in PIP down in the corner and it showed the ball being snapped before the clock his zero.

oldman
12-07-2020, 07:13 AM

There was no excuse for that call. It was the game clock, not the play clock that had a problem. What you're seeing in the window is the actual play clock. I'm beginning to think the zebras are out to get us.
The TD that wasn't a TD wasn't on the officials because even Hill didn't think he had it. But there wasn't any need to hurry the punt.

Dunerdr
12-07-2020, 07:17 AM
There was no excuse for that call. It was the game clock, not the play clock that had a problem. What you're seeing in the window is the actual play clock. I'm beginning to think the zebras are out to get us.
The TD that wasn't a TD wasn't on the officials because even Hill didn't think he had it. But there wasn't any need to hurry the punt.

The punt wasnt hurried it was normal procedure. No one in that stadium thought he caught that ball. Not even Hill.

RedinTexas
12-07-2020, 07:24 AM
There is the game clock and there is the play clock. The game clock may have been in the hands of the refs at the time, but why in the hell would the play clock be in the hands of the refs? The play clock is there for the players and the refs to see. How can the players get a play off in less than the allotted time unless they have access to a play clock that allows them to know how much time is left?

If the play clock was malfunctioning and "in the hands of the refs," why wouldn't the refs be cutting just a little bit of slack to the players that don't have the full knowledge that the players do? Why wouldn't the NBC crew explain that the refs had control and the play clock that we could see wasn't official?

The play clock that we could see was almost 100% certainly the official play clock. There was time left on the clock when the ball was snapped. The referee that called delay of game was wrong and not on a "close call." Calling a penalty for something that did not actually happen is pretty bad, but usually there is an explanation for it such as that it looked like it happened. There is no excuse for that penalty. It was wrong and the official that called it should be severely disciplined.

htismaqe
12-07-2020, 07:25 AM
The play clock that we could see was almost 100% certainly the official play clock. There was time left on the clock when the ball was snapped. The referee that called delay of game was wrong and not on a "close call." Calling a penalty for something that did not actually happen is pretty bad, but usually there is an explanation for it such as that it looked like it happened. There is no excuse for that penalty. It was wrong and the official that called it should be severely disciplined.

Exactly this.

notorious
12-07-2020, 07:29 AM
It was bullshit, plain and simple.

If you want to ever see a “nudge” to keep games close, watch last night.

tmax63
12-07-2020, 07:54 AM
In years past this game would have been an upset loss and everyone would be screaming bloody hell about it but this year they still won the game. It's good to be the King.

rabblerouser
12-07-2020, 07:56 AM
In the same game as a touchdown catch isn’t called a TD catch after never touching the ground.

Weird game.

Such
A
Weird.
Game

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-07-2020, 08:14 AM
They want Mahomes to pull some wild play out of his ass for ratings

FAX
12-07-2020, 08:34 AM
I chalk that game up to Brain Freeze.

Everybody had it.

Wally, EB, Officials, Tyreek ... the whole show.

FAX THE EVALUATOR

Frosty
12-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Was there a clear offsides that wasn’t called on Denver too?

Yes and I'm still salty over that one. I believe it was on the Chiefs' second drive and it was 3rd and 4 so it would have kept the drive alive.:mad:

DaFace
12-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Yes and I'm still salty over that one. I believe it was on the Chiefs' second drive and it was 3rd and 4 so it would have kept the drive alive.:mad:Eh, the defender definitely jumped, but I don't know think he actually crossed the line.

FAX
12-07-2020, 08:39 AM
I know think he did.

FAX THE EVALUATOR

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Ice their own kicker?

Jewish Rabbi
12-07-2020, 09:01 AM
The ref that threw that flag should be suspended and investigated. Missing a bang bang play at full speed is one thing, that reeked of corruption.

These refs deserve to die!!!

tyecopeland
12-07-2020, 09:05 AM

They just would have called a delay of game before the timeout because we would have waited maybe even a split second longer to call the timeout than they did to snap it.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-07-2020, 09:07 AM
LMAO

Officials righting the wrong from 2018?

LMAO

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/01/broncos-chiefs-delay-of-game/

Comments are epic...

Bearcat
12-07-2020, 09:15 AM
LMAO

Officials righting the wrong from 2018?

LMAO

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/01/broncos-chiefs-delay-of-game/

Comments are epic...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/joV1k1sNOT5xC" width="480" height="272" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/trump-press-conference-joV1k1sNOT5xC">via GIPHY</a></p>

scho63
12-07-2020, 09:16 AM
I mean...WTF was that?

Ref had $100 on the under. ;)

KChiefs1
12-07-2020, 09:22 AM
There is the game clock and there is the play clock. The game clock may have been in the hands of the refs at the time, but why in the hell would the play clock be in the hands of the refs? The play clock is there for the players and the refs to see. How can the players get a play off in less than the allotted time unless they have access to a play clock that allows them to know how much time is left?

If the play clock was malfunctioning and "in the hands of the refs," why wouldn't the refs be cutting just a little bit of slack to the players that don't have the full knowledge that the players do? Why wouldn't the NBC crew explain that the refs had control and the play clock that we could see wasn't official?

I’m waiting for the NFL to comment on this.

Egregious

jettio
12-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Maybe the Chiefs need to upgrade the officials locker room or something. Seems like we get treated worse at home than on the road.

Including the 2018 AFC Championship, 6 of the Chiefs last 7 losses are at Arrowhead, and most of the games had some memorable bad calls against the Chiefs.

Lzen
12-07-2020, 11:29 AM
Eh, the defender definitely jumped, but I don't know think he actually crossed the line.

Yup. Also, earlier in that drive they missed a false start by Kelce.

The Franchise
12-07-2020, 11:44 AM
I’m waiting for the NFL to comment on this.

Egregious

Keep waiting. They aren’t going to say shit.

BigCatDaddy
12-07-2020, 11:48 AM

Refs need to be accessible to the media after games for things like this.

"So, you through the flag and there wasn't a 0 on clock, can you tell us why you did that?"

RedinTexas
12-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Refs need to be accessible to the media after games for things like this.

"So, you through the flag and there wasn't a 0 on clock, can you tell us why you did that?"

Let's help break it down for them as to how that happened. It was either

1 - Incompetence
or
2 - Intent

If it was incompetence, it can be forgiven, but very telling as to the level of officiating we have in the NFL. If it was intent, then we need to know why, and he needs to be both fired and possibly prosecuted. There are no other answers for what caused this penalty.

-King-
12-07-2020, 12:02 PM
With 9 seconds left on the play clock? It was rushed.

Do you think teams normally punt with 0 seconds on the clock?

Valiant
12-07-2020, 12:04 PM

I was yelling he caught that. But I guess Andy couldn't hear me from the house. My cousin thought it bounced.

But in all seriousness, how did every ref get it wrong multiple times on those two plays?

displacedinMN
12-07-2020, 12:13 PM
I have heard so many times this weekend the refs were conferring and it was a 3 ref conference penalty.

No one conferenced this. Should have been automatically reviewed.

Yet with the glitches, we won. Thank god.

htismaqe
12-07-2020, 01:01 PM

Exactly.

-King-
12-07-2020, 01:06 PM
I was yelling he caught that. But I guess Andy couldn't hear me from the house. My cousin thought it bounced.

But in all seriousness, how did every ref get it wrong multiple times on those two plays?

The ref in the end zone was behind the play and had no way of seeing what happened. And when Tyreek got up acting like it was an incompletion,he had no reason to believe it didn't hit the ground on the bobble.

The playclock issue was just a terrible fuck up that I hope we get an answer for. I just don't get how that even happens.

tyecopeland
12-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Ref had $100 on the under. ;)

Maybe he needed some more fantasy points from the Denver defense

Pitt Gorilla
12-07-2020, 01:53 PM
The ref in the end zone was behind the play and had no way of seeing what happened. And when Tyreek got up acting like it was an incompletion,he had no reason to believe it didn't hit the ground on the bobble.

The playclock issue was just a terrible **** up that I hope we get an answer for. I just don't get how that even happens.
Which ref saw the ball hit the ground? If player reactions are what matters, there should be PI called on just about every pass play.

What's the negative of assuming it was a catch? NFL reviews scoring plays and would have confirmed the catch. By assuming it wasn't a catch, they remove the opportunity to arrive at the correct call.

Bob Dole
12-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Do you think teams normally punt with 0 seconds on the clock?

Nursing a lead, it’s probably under 5. Quite a bit of difference between 9 and 0, mister hard head.

Hydrae
12-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Maybe the Chiefs need to upgrade the officials locker room or something. Seems like we get treated worse at home than on the road.

Including the 2018 AFC Championship, 6 of the Chiefs last 7 losses are at Arrowhead, and most of the games had some memorable bad calls against the Chiefs.

I have been noticing that our home record is not as good as our road record the last couple of years. Is this due to the guys getting to sleep at home (and getting some!) the night before? Maybe we should make them spend the night before the game at a local hotel. :shrug:

Frazod
12-07-2020, 02:09 PM
I have been noticing that our home record is not as good as our road record the last couple of years. Is this due to the guys getting to sleep at home (and getting some!) the night before? Maybe we should make them spend the night before the game at a local hotel. :shrug:

Perhaps we should bug that room. I'd love to hear what those fuckers say to each other before and after the game.

-King-
12-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Nursing a lead, it’s probably under 5. Quite a bit of difference between 9 and 0, mister hard head.

Nursing a lead? It was 3-3 in the 2nd quarter.

tyecopeland
12-07-2020, 02:13 PM

Were we nursing a lead at that point in the game? At 10:45 left in the 2nd quarter?