PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is It Time To Release Gay?

dtrain
12-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Damien Wilson hasn't practiced all week if he doesn't play does Willie Gay get the start?

SuperBowl4
12-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Not yet

Deberg_1990
12-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Yes. It’s time to cut Gay. Bust

RaidersOftheCellar
12-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Yes. It’s time to cut Gay. Bust

I wish the mods would cut your gay threads.

KC_Lee
12-11-2020, 11:25 AM
<iframe src='https://gfycat.com/ifr/UnrulyAjarEuropeanpolecat' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='524'></iframe><p> <a href="https://gfycat.com/unrulyajareuropeanpolecat-community-ken-jeong-mr-chang-ha-gay-s02e01-insult">via Gfycat</a></p>

Wallcrawler
12-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Thought this was a DeBerg thread. Turns out its just really shitty wording of the thread title. Yawn.

Pretty sure the word youre looking for is "unleash."

DaFace
12-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Poor wording.

htismaqe
12-11-2020, 11:37 AM
If Wilson can't play, we should see Gay get the most snaps he's gotten all season.

carcosa
12-11-2020, 11:37 AM
Poor wording.

plz use mod powers to change "release" to "unleash"

staylor26
12-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Great news for Gay. Bad news for all of us that are tired of watching Niemann.

alpha_omega
12-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Ok...I got it. I was wondering why in the world we would be releasing him.

Buehler445
12-11-2020, 11:43 AM
plz use mod powers to change "release" to "unleash"

Surely there is a better joke in there somewhere. Assault the offense with gay, Bring the gay hammer, lay wood with gay, something.

Where is Iowanian when you need him?

htismaqe
12-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Great news for Gay. Bad news for all of us that are tired of watching Niemann.

Against another team, they might just run more nickel. There's probably going to be a lot of base 4-3 against the Dolphins though.

ChiefBlueCFC
12-11-2020, 11:59 AM
I mean, I think ideally we would see Gay but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot of Niemann

KurtCobain
12-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Clickbait.

CapsLockKey
12-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Surely there is a better joke in there somewhere. Assault the offense with gay, Bring the gay hammer, lay wood with gay, something.

Where is Iowanian when you need him?Is it time for Gay's coming out party?

Deberg_1990
12-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Is it time to let Gay be more dominant or remain submissive?

Jewish Rabbi
12-11-2020, 12:38 PM
I’d like Billay to release some gay on me

kjwood75nro
12-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Time for Gay to plug some holes and stuff the backfield.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-11-2020, 01:09 PM
release him to char Tua Fish? ya know it

AdolfOliverBush
12-11-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't know what Miami's game plan is, but I can guarantee you they're going to have a fullback.

carcosa
12-11-2020, 01:19 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And yes, Andy Reid expects to have Willie Gay Jr. start if Damien Wilson doesn&#39;t play against the Dolphins.</p>&mdash; Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/1337475823436242947?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ptlyon
12-11-2020, 01:24 PM
This thread is soooo Gay... (insert reply here)

Kman34
12-11-2020, 01:25 PM
It’s time to turn Gay.........

Loose...

Chris Meck
12-11-2020, 01:39 PM
...and Gay just keeps coming in his face!

PAChiefsGuy
12-11-2020, 01:44 PM
This definitely get my vote for the worst worded thread of the year.

Peter Gibbons
12-11-2020, 03:56 PM
The title would have worked better if his name was Kraken and not Gay.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Gay & Kraken both need working suckers

Rasputin
12-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Fucking Deberg_1990 thread.

Halfcan
12-11-2020, 04:06 PM
Gay should spy Tua and smash his face in every down.

dlphg9
12-11-2020, 04:08 PM
Gay actually started last week against the Broncos. It was the 5th time this season.

Deberg_1990
12-14-2020, 03:31 PM
This was a hell of a play in real time

It’s time to release the Gay

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m curious what it is about Gay that has KC&#39;s coaching staff not utilizing a guy who can cover ground like this. <a href="https://t.co/SAY3jiuI2a">pic.twitter.com/SAY3jiuI2a</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/1338568066867757056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaFace
12-14-2020, 03:48 PM
I'm guessing that he still has gaps in his knowledge of the defensive scheme. Clearly he has the athleticism to make big plays, but if you worry about him blowing coverages, you have to limit his involvement.

Hopefully he'll be close enough that we can let him loose a little more in the playoffs.

Megatron96
12-14-2020, 04:26 PM
Did anyone else see Wilson on the field yesterday? I swear I saw a "54" jersey during one of the replays.

And yes, I know Wilson was supposed to be out for the game, which is part of why I'm asking.

Megatron96
12-14-2020, 04:28 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m curious what it is about Gay that has KC&#39;s coaching staff not utilizing a guy who can cover ground like this. <a href="https://t.co/SAY3jiuI2a">pic.twitter.com/SAY3jiuI2a</a></p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/1338568066867757056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's a fine play by Willie. Love the recognition and how he didn't overrun the play. He intercepted whoever that was perfectly.

OKchiefs
12-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Take PFF grades with a grain of salt, but PFF says he didn’t have enough snaps to qualify for a complete grade but would have graded as his best game. Take from that what you will.

notorious
12-14-2020, 05:09 PM
That play was fantastic.

He completely erased it. Stopped the RB cold.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-14-2020, 05:10 PM

Gay explodes into the runner in the backfield...

-King-
12-14-2020, 06:38 PM

That was like peak football iq mixed with athleticism. He read that the whole way and had enough athleticism to still shut it down when the WR tried to run to the other side.

lewdog
12-14-2020, 07:37 PM
That was like peak football iq mixed with athleticism. He read that the whole way and had enough athleticism to still shut it down when the WR tried to run to the other side.

NFL speed on guys this size is just flat out crazy.

mililo4cpa
12-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Did anyone else see Wilson on the field yesterday? I swear I saw a "54" jersey during one of the replays.

And yes, I know Wilson was supposed to be out for the game, which is part of why I'm asking.

I swore the same thing, but then realized it was 64 - Mike Pennel.

How I could confuse Wilson with Pennel is beyond me....

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2020, 11:07 PM

I KNOW he's not actually twice as fast as everyone else on the field, but he sure looks like it.

dlphg9
12-14-2020, 11:41 PM
There is no reason Gay shouldn't be playing 75%+ of the plays on D. He's the best LB we have and Gay is only sitting because he's a rookie. I haven't seen him out of position anymore than any of the other LBs and the good thing about him is he has the speed to get back into position. He should be playing more.

Megatron96
12-15-2020, 12:32 AM
There is no reason Gay shouldn't be playing 75%+ of the plays on D. He's the best LB we have and Gay is only sitting because he's a rookie. I haven't seen him out of position anymore than any of the other LBs and the good thing about him is he has the speed to get back into position. He should be playing more.

Apparently Spags/House don't feel like he's ready for that. I wish they did though. Gay covers ground like a young Brian Urlacher.

dlphg9
12-15-2020, 12:43 AM
Apparently Spags/House don't feel like he's ready for that. I wish they did though. Gay covers ground like a young Brian Urlacher.

I think it's just something with this team and not wanting rookies to get overwhelmed. They are overly cautious with young guys.

ChiefsFanatic
12-15-2020, 12:52 AM
Apparently Spags/House don't feel like he's ready for that. I wish they did though. Gay covers ground like a young Brian Urlacher.I feel like there is no way Gay could hurt our defense more than Niemann does, AND he has the speed and athleticism to make up for being out of position, or just to make a play period.

I understand not wanting to overwhelm a young player, but this defense needs a playmaker at the second level badly. He was a 2nd round pick, and it's time for him to start producing. If Spags and House can't get a 2nd round pick ready to make an impact after 3 months, then something is very wrong.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Megatron96
12-15-2020, 12:59 AM
I feel like there is no way Gay could hurt our defense more than Niemann does, AND he has the speed and athleticism to make up for being out of position, or just to make a play period.

I understand not wanting to overwhelm a young player, but this defense needs a playmaker at the second level badly. He was a 2nd round pick, and it's time for him to start producing. If Spags and House can't get a 2nd round pick ready to make an impact after 3 months, then something is very wrong.

I agree with just about all of this.

I think Gay couldn't screw up any worse than Neimann at this point. But Neimann calls the pre-snap alignments when Hitch isn't out there. Not sure Gay is ready for that, and if not, then who calls the alignments?

Other than that, Gay is definitely a better LB than Neimann in every respect, and once the ball is snapped, Gay is the best LB on the team.

ChiefsFanatic
12-15-2020, 01:06 AM
I agree with just about all of this.

I think Gay couldn't screw up any worse than Neimann at this point. But Neimann calls the pre-snap alignments when Hitch isn't out there. Not sure Gay is ready for that, and if not, then who calls the alignments?

Other than that, Gay is definitely a better LB than Neimann in every respect, and once the ball is snapped, Gay is the best LB on the team.Surely there are other players who could do that. Maybe Tyrann or DD, since Spags uses them close to the LOS so much.

In tonight's game, a Browns player read the run correctly, ran into the hole and lunged to his left, thinking that the RB was going to be there, but even before the Browns player decided to go left, the RB had already cut the other way. It was comical, especially on the slow motion replay.

I was like, he pulled a Niemann.

Megatron96
12-15-2020, 01:17 AM
Surely there are other players who could do that. Maybe Tyrann or DD, since Spags uses them close to the LOS so much.

In tonight's game, a Browns player read the run correctly, ran into the hole and lunged to his left, thinking that the RB was going to be there, but even before the Browns player decided to go left, the RB had already cut the other way. It was comical, especially on the slow motion replay.

I was like, he pulled a Niemann.

I saw that too. Think that was 51, who is their best LB I think. I think he actually stumbled over someone's feet/leg. i was going to watch the replay tomorrow so I'll remember to check that play out.

And I don't have a clue why HB or DD couldn't do that. I don't understand why Wilson can't.

I do know though, that Tyrann only calls the alignments for the DBs. I've never seen him go up and tell a LB where to go.

ChiefsFanatic
12-15-2020, 01:31 AM
I saw that too. Think that was 51, who is their best LB I think. I think he actually stumbled over someone's feet/leg. i was going to watch the replay tomorrow so I'll remember to check that play out.

And I don't have a clue why HB or DD couldn't do that. I don't understand why Wilson can't.

I do know though, that Tyrann only calls the alignments for the DBs. I've never seen him go up and tell a LB where to go.Oh, maybe he did stumble. I wasn't watching his feet. A stumble would make sense. But, I have watched Niemann run to where he thought the running lane would be, only to get swallowed by offensive linemen, and I have seen him identify the correct running lane, but then take the wrong angle, which combined with his lack of speed, ends with him missing the runner by a step or two.

Here is a shocking statistic. Niemann has been credited with 21 solo tackles and 12 assisted tackles for a total of 33 tackles.

I don't know what the snap discrepancy is, but I think everyone can agree that Niemann has seen substantially more playing time this year, right? Well, in fewer snaps, Gay has been credited with 20 solo tackles (1 less than Niemann) and 8 assisted tackles for a total of 28 tackles.

Niemann has 1 more solo tackle, and just 5 more tackles overall, than Gay. I had no idea that Gay was so close to Niemann on tackles.

Megatron96
12-15-2020, 01:42 AM
Oh, maybe he did stumble. I wasn't watching his feet. A stumble would make sense. But, I have watched Niemann run to where he thought the running lane would be, only to get swallowed by offensive linemen, and I have seen him identify the correct running lane, but then take the wrong angle, which combined with his lack of speed, ends with him missing the runner by a step or two.

Here is a shocking statistic. Niemann has been credited with 21 solo tackles and 12 assisted tackles for a total of 33 tackles.

I don't know what the snap discrepancy is, but I think everyone can agree that Niemann has seen substantially more playing time this year, right? Well, in fewer snaps, Gay has been credited with 20 solo tackles (1 less than Niemann) and 8 assisted tackles for a total of 28 tackles.

Niemann has 1 more solo tackle, and just 5 more tackles overall, than Gay. I had no idea that Gay was so close to Niemann on tackles.

Yeah, Niemann just isn't a starting LB in the NFL.

I guess it has to be certain situations, packages of plays for certain scenarios. I mean, with enough study nearly any LB in the NFL ought to be able to memorize basic alignments. So the only thing I can think of is specific alignment modifications that come up, especially when we've got the lead and the other team is trying to go hurry-up or whatever. We have to remember that Gay hardly played football in college; he's all raw instinct and physical ability right now. He doesn't have much in the way of experience and just sheer game reps to fall back on when it comes to decision-making yet.

Dunerdr
12-15-2020, 07:48 AM
Are we ready to suck this guy off or what?

htismaqe
12-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Yeah, Niemann just isn't a starting LB in the NFL.

I guess it has to be certain situations, packages of plays for certain scenarios. I mean, with enough study nearly any LB in the NFL ought to be able to memorize basic alignments. So the only thing I can think of is specific alignment modifications that come up, especially when we've got the lead and the other team is trying to go hurry-up or whatever. We have to remember that Gay hardly played football in college; he's all raw instinct and physical ability right now. He doesn't have much in the way of experience and just sheer game reps to fall back on when it comes to decision-making yet.

Spags' defense is pretty complicated and the LB's are responsible for a lot of it.

He'll be out there when he's ready.

We waited 50 years for a Super Bowl win and now that they've done it, people act like they're fucking stupid.

Which is fucking stupid.

notorious
12-15-2020, 07:52 AM
This guy is going to make a play to win a game in the playoffs.

ptlyon
12-15-2020, 07:58 AM
This guy is going to make a play to win a game in the playoffs.

How early in the game will that be?

Chris Meck
12-15-2020, 08:15 AM

Urlacher was never that fast.

Gay is being put in positions to be successful and we need to be patient. He barely played in college and was a raw prospect. There's a lot to be excited about with him, but we need to be patient.

notorious
12-15-2020, 08:17 AM
My first thought when I see him playing: Holy shit he's fast.

My second thought when I see him playing: Holy shit he's big.

Marcellus
12-15-2020, 08:53 AM
Take PFF grades with a grain of salt, but PFF says he didn’t have enough snaps to qualify for a complete grade but would have graded as his best game. Take from that what you will.

Actually I believe they said he would have been the highest graded defender in the entire game for either team.

Chris Meck
12-15-2020, 08:56 AM
I might use Gay as a spy on Hill this week. Kind of like Spags used to do with D'OD and Watson.

notorious
12-15-2020, 08:57 AM
Actually I believe they said he would have been the highest graded defender in the entire game for either team.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/v3p3CtSrNYNLa/giphy.gif

Megatron96
12-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Urlacher was never that fast.

Gay is being put in positions to be successful and we need to be patient. He barely played in college and was a raw prospect. There's a lot to be excited about with him, but we need to be patient.

Urlacher was pretty fast. Ran like a 4.5s 40. And he could really cover ground in a hurry.

StinkBox
12-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Just send Patrick to the Cowboys and dance like no one is watching you sassy boys.</br></br>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l5aZJBLAu1E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OKchiefs
12-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Spags' defense is pretty complicated and the LB's are responsible for a lot of it.

He'll be out there when he's ready.

We waited 50 years for a Super Bowl win and now that they've done it, people act like they're ****ing stupid.

Which is ****ing stupid.

If linebackers are in fact that important in this defense and difficult to learn, that would imply the position is very important, right? Because i’ve also been told by some on here that they don’t value linebackers all that much, which doesn’t really mesh with what you just said. I’m not saying you’re the one who said that, but i’m curious which is correct.

OKchiefs
12-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Urlacher was pretty fast. Ran like a 4.5s 40. And he could really cover ground in a hurry.

I believe Urlacher was a college safety converted to linebacker? He was perfect for the Tampa 2 Chicago ran, similar to Derrick Brooks.

Megatron96
12-15-2020, 10:19 AM
I believe Urlacher was a college safety converted to linebacker? He was perfect for the Tampa 2 Chicago ran, similar to Derrick Brooks.

I don't know what he played in college. But that would explain his football IQ. The guy could be 20 yards upfield and still recognize a run, and then had the athleticism to get back downfield and make a play on the RB.

poolboy
12-15-2020, 10:24 AM
My first thought when I see him playing: Holy shit he's fast.

My second thought when I see him playing: Holy shit he's big.

third thought holy shit can that guy hit

notorious
12-15-2020, 10:26 AM
third thought holy shit can that guy hit

Yeah, he stoned a few plays.

We're used to opposing players running through our LB's and getting an extra yard or two. Not with Gay.

htismaqe
12-15-2020, 12:29 PM
If linebackers are in fact that important in this defense and difficult to learn, that would imply the position is very important, right? Because i’ve also been told by some on here that they don’t value linebackers all that much, which doesn’t really mesh with what you just said. I’m not saying you’re the one who said that, but i’m curious which is correct.

They obviously value LB's to a certain extent, considering what they paid to get Hitchens out of free agency. Plus they spent a 2nd rounder on Gay.

I think the argument might be about using a first rounder on a LB, which is really a different discussion.

Chief Roundup
12-15-2020, 12:35 PM
They obviously value LB's to a certain extent, considering what they paid to get Hitchens out of free agency. Plus they spent a 2nd rounder on Gay.

I think the argument might be about using a first rounder on a LB, which is really a different discussion.

Our starting LBs for 2021 are on the roster right now. We will need some depth as we will probably lose Wilson since he is an UFA but Niemann is a RFA. We might draft someone for depth or sign some cheap FA.

Pitt Gorilla
12-15-2020, 12:51 PM
I feel like there is no way Gay could hurt our defense more than Niemann does, AND he has the speed and athleticism to make up for being out of position, or just to make a play period.

Sent from my GM1915 using TapatalkWhere are people getting this nonsense? Yeah, I'd love for him to play more, but the Chiefs do as well.

They really don't GAF about Chief Fan's made-up timeline, nor should they.

DaFace
12-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Where are people getting this nonsense? Yeah, I'd love for him to play more, but the Chiefs do as well.

They really don't GAF about Chief Fan's made-up timeline, nor should they.

People seem to ignore that he also had no offseason to prepare. It's a super weird year.

I also think that people have trouble understanding defensive schemes and how they impact players. He does look great when he's out there, but I bet if we actually had the data to look at, there are probably some alignments where he's just not out there at all because he doesn't quite have the role down there in those situations.

htismaqe
12-15-2020, 01:28 PM
People seem to ignore that he also had no offseason to prepare. It's a super weird year.

I also think that people have trouble understanding defensive schemes and how they impact players. He does look great when he's out there, but I bet if we actually had the data to look at, there are probably some alignments where he's just not out there at all because he doesn't quite have the role down there in those situations.

He also didn't have a ton of playing time in college. His junior year we was suspended for 8 of 13 games and then he passed on his senior year to enter the draft.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Spray Gay all over the field.

T-post Tom
12-15-2020, 02:30 PM
Chiefs DB Tyrann Mathieu praises character of rookie LB Willie Gay Jr.

When the Kansas City Chiefs suited up to face the Miami Dolphins in Week 14, fans believed they were set to get an extended look at rookie linebacker Willie Gay Jr. on defense. In limited opportunities on the season, he’s flashed superior athleticism and playmaking ability — the type that you don’t keep on the sidelines.

The second-round draft pick by the Chiefs appeared to be next in line to fill in for injured linebacker Damien Wilson. Andy Reid even suggested as much during his final press conference of the week. When the dust settled Gay got the start but played just 17 defensive snaps, giving way to veteran Ben Niemann, who played 90% of the defensive snaps.

Following the game, Chiefs DB Tyrann Mathieu was asked of Gay’s development and whether he thought that he rose to the occasion in Week 14. His response should encourage Chiefs fans anxiously awaiting a larger role for the rookie.

“He’s a mature young man,” Mathieu said of Gay. “I’m so impressed with him and really his character. Not everything has gone his way this season, pretty sure he wanted to be a day one starter, but he just kept his head down. He’s always prepared at meetings, coach is calling on him, he always knows what to do, he always knows the answer. And I think that’s all you can ask from a young player is a guy that’s just committed to the team and I think Willie (Gay) shows that each and every week.”

It doesn’t appear to be for a lack of effort, mastery and smarts that Gay Jr. isn’t getting on the field more often. It’s just a matter of a rookie waiting for his time to come and it hasn’t yet. When it does, he’ll have to seize the day.

As for the outlook for the future, Mathieu is optimistic that Chiefs fans will see the results of Gay’s labors soon.

“It’s going to take, for guys like me and Chris (Jones) and Frank (Clark) and (Anthony) Hitchens to step up and continue to encourage him,” Mathieu continued. “Because I truly believe at some point in the season he’s going to make some big plays for us, and he’s going to be one of those guys we lean on, especially going forward.”

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/15/kansas-city-chiefs-tyrann-mathieu-praise-for-willie-gay/

ptlyon
12-15-2020, 02:40 PM
Spray Gay all over the field.

After reading below I just did

ChiefsFanatic
12-15-2020, 02:50 PM
Where are people getting this nonsense? Yeah, I'd love for him to play more, but the Chiefs do as well.

They really don't GAF about Chief Fan's made-up timeline, nor should they.My point is that a second round pick is usually expected to make an impact at some point during the season, especially when they are at a position of need. But, I stand by saying that if coaches can't get a 2nd round pick ready in 3 months, regardless of position, then something is probably wrong.

But, I can't remember if I posted this after that or not, but according to the stats, Gay has already produces nearly as much as Niemann, so he has already made an impact, with a lot fewer snaps. He has one less solo tackle than Niemann (from memory) and just five fewer total tackles.

So, I kind of made that post you quoted meaningless by looking at the official stats.

Pitt Gorilla
12-15-2020, 03:19 PM
My point is that a second round pick is usually expected to make an impact at some point during the season, especially when they are at a position of need. But, I stand by saying that if coaches can't get a 2nd round pick ready in 3 months, regardless of position, then something is probably wrong.

But, I can't remember if I posted this after that or not, but according to the stats, Gay has already produces nearly as much as Niemann, so he has already made an impact, with a lot fewer snaps. He has one less solo tackle than Niemann (from memory) and just five fewer total tackles.

So, I kind of made that post you quoted meaningless by looking at the official stats.

Sent from my GM1915 using TapatalkPatrick Mahomes, most likely one of THE best ever, was drafted #10 overall in the first round of the draft. Guy didn't play until the last week of the season and that was because we had little to lose/gain. Gay is doing significantly more than that.

Now, do I think we win our playoff game that year with Mahomes? Yes, I do. Do I think Gay will be playing more by week 16? Yes, I do.

htismaqe
12-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Man, I really wish we didn't have complete dumbasses for coaches.

We could have won a Super Bowl by now if they could just get their 2nd round picks to pay more.

Dunerdr
12-16-2020, 07:04 AM
Man, I really wish we didn't have complete dumbasses for coaches.

We could have won a Super Bowl by now if they could just get their 2nd round picks to pay more.

Sounds like we will rid ourselves of that fool Bienemy who kept Mahomes on the bench and i severly limiting Le'Veon Bell and keeping Harman down.

staylor26
12-16-2020, 07:21 AM
My point is that a second round pick is usually expected to make an impact at some point during the season, especially when they are at a position of need. But, I stand by saying that if coaches can't get a 2nd round pick ready in 3 months, regardless of position, then something is probably wrong.

:facepalm:

This is so fucking stupid it’s unbelievable.

ChiefsFanatic
12-16-2020, 07:37 AM
:facepalm:

This is so fucking stupid it’s unbelievable.

Oh no. How will I go on living now?

If you think a second round linebacker, which was a position of need, should just get a redshirt year, ok. Good for you. But, unless you are a QB, second day players are usually expected to make some kind of impact on the team.

And when a player the caliber of Ben Niemann, an UDFA with considerably less physical talent than your 2nd round pick, who most consider the worst player currently getting significant snaps on defense, is taking snaps away from that 2nd round pick, 3 months into the season, and you don't see a problem with that, I can't take anything you say seriously. With fewer snaps, Gay has nearly identical tackling stats, and has flashed on several plays lately that show off his physical skills. To me, and to a lot of other fans, and posters on this site, it appears that the defense is better with Gay on the field, and at the same time the defense couldn't be any worse with Gay on the field.

So, pound away on your keyboard, Warrior, pound away. You are doing the lords work.

AdolfOliverBush
12-16-2020, 08:57 AM

If you think a second round linebacker, which was a position of need, should just get a redshirt year, ok. Good for you. But, unless you are a QB, second day players are usually expected to make some kind of impact on the team.

And when a player the caliber of Ben Niemann, an UDFA with considerably less physical talent than your 2nd round pick, who most consider the worst player currently getting significant snaps on defense, is taking snaps away from that 2nd round pick, 3 months into the season, and you don't see a problem with that, I can't take anything you say seriously. With fewer snaps, Gay has nearly identical tackling stats, and has flashed on several plays lately that show off his physical skills. To me, and to a lot of other fans, and posters on this site, it appears that the defense is better with Gay on the field, and at the same time the defense couldn't be any worse with Gay on the field.

So, pound away on your keyboard, Warrior, pound away. You are doing the lords work.

If something is wrong, which is doubtful, it's probably that Gay isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (he may be a genius for all I know). The coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure Gay would be playing more if KC was 1-12.

kysirsoze
12-16-2020, 09:50 AM

He's been steadily improving and taking a larger role. He didn't have a proper off-season or preseason. In person meetings are even restricted . He is vouched for by the coaches and players who say his role is going to continue to grow. What the hell is there to complain about?

htismaqe
12-16-2020, 11:44 AM
Ben Niemann is still playing! :deevee:

notorious
12-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Ben Niemann is still playing! :deevee:

I wouldn't call it "playing".

More like "Ben Niemann is on the field"

Deberg_1990
12-21-2020, 02:14 PM
It’s time to release the Gay!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> linebackers in the last two games in Weeks 14-15<br><br>Willie Gay Jr.<br>• 88.2 Overall<br>• 90.4 Coverage<br>• 29 Snaps<br><br>Ben Niemann<br>• 56.5 Overall<br>• 49.1 Coverage<br>• 122 Snaps<br><br>Anthony Hitchens<br>• 29.5 Overall<br>• 29.3 Coverage<br>• 78 Snaps<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a></p>&mdash; PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1341086775146639363?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 02:17 PM
It’s time to release the Gay!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> linebackers in the last two games in Weeks 14-15<br><br>Willie Gay Jr.<br>• 88.2 Overall<br>• 90.4 Coverage<br>• 29 Snaps<br><br>Ben Niemann<br>• 56.5 Overall<br>• 49.1 Coverage<br>• 122 Snaps<br><br>Anthony Hitchens<br>• 29.5 Overall<br>• 29.3 Coverage<br>• 78 Snaps<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a></p>&mdash; PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1341086775146639363?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dude, those grades are obviously WAY off.

There's no way Niemann graded higher than Hitchens. Hitchens was all over the field yesterday and was in on nearly every running play. He had one of his best games of the year yesterday. PFF is trash.

-King-
12-21-2020, 02:19 PM
29 snaps in 2 games is unbelievable. I don't get it at all. It's like they're not even trying to get him out there more.

staylor26
12-21-2020, 02:27 PM
29 snaps in 2 games is unbelievable. I don't get it at all. It's like they're not even trying to get him out there more.

https://i.imgur.com/RKrR15s.jpg

Riflemen
12-21-2020, 02:27 PM
I'm really not a Nieman fan. He misses a lot of tackles. He's go to be the worst player on the team who gets playing time imo.

Mahomes_Is_God
12-21-2020, 02:38 PM
Willie Gay is a professional football player in the National Football League, IMO.

-King-
12-21-2020, 02:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RKrR15s.jpg

That's kind of funny.

But seriously, we all thought he would get increasing snap counts as the season went on and 14 games in, he hasn't. I think it's fair to wonder why.

KChiefs1
12-21-2020, 02:40 PM

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-21-2020, 02:47 PM
Dude, those grades are obviously WAY off.

There's no way Niemann graded higher than Hitchens. Hitchens was all over the field yesterday and was in on nearly every running play. He had one of his best games of the year yesterday. PFF is trash.

In fairness, rewatching the game, Niemann played better than he has in other games as well. People, expecting him to cover a TE in a hook to curl zone drop when Brees has all day in the pocket, don't understand football...

ChiefsFanatic
12-21-2020, 02:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> linebackers in the last two games in Weeks 14-15<br><br>Willie Gay Jr.<br>• 88.2 Overall<br>• 90.4 Coverage<br>• 29 Snaps<br><br>Ben Niemann<br>• 56.5 Overall<br>• 49.1 Coverage<br>• 122 Snaps<br><br>Anthony Hitchens<br>• 29.5 Overall<br>• 29.3 Coverage<br>• 78 Snaps<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a></p>— PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1341086775146639363?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>In significantly less playing time, Gay had one less solo tackle than Niemann coming into the Saints game. Seeing the disparity in snaps and production in that tweet make it even more ridiculous that Niemann is playing instead of Gay.

DaFace
12-21-2020, 02:51 PM
That's kind of funny.

But seriously, we all thought he would get increasing snap counts as the season went on and 14 games in, he hasn't. I think it's fair to wonder why.

My guess:

He's good at playing the "see ball, get ball" game.

He's not good at playing the "get the defensive alignments in place so that the other 10 guys on the field can be successful" game.

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 02:52 PM
My guess:

He's not good at playing the "get the defensive alignments in place so that the other 10 guys on the field can be successful" game.

Yep.

-King-
12-21-2020, 03:03 PM
My guess:

Neimann doesn't do that on the majority of snaps he's in on

wazu
12-21-2020, 03:03 PM
My guess:

So then Niemann must be some defensive football genius. Maybe the fact that he sucks has somehow made him really good at telling everybody else what to do to help cover for his shitty play.

Riflemen
12-21-2020, 03:07 PM
My guess:

Yes, he reminds me of Lavaar Arrington. He's a freak but not that smart.

KChiefs1
12-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Yes, he reminds me of Lavaar Arrington. He's a freak but not that smart.

Well he did attend Mississippi State.

Pitt Gorilla
12-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Man, if only Spags/House had a clue about what they were doing. Hell, we might even have a Super Bowl. If only.

dlphg9
12-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Man, if only Spags/House had a clue about what they were doing. Hell, we might even have a Super Bowl. If only.

God damn, this "we can't question the coaches about anything because we won a Super Bowl" thing is stupid as hell.

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 03:27 PM
God damn, this "we can't question the coaches about anything because we won a Super Bowl" thing is stupid as hell.

Spags has more than one SB ring, BTW.

And it's not that we can't question them. A lot of this isn't "questioning" it's flat out accusing them of being inept.

Which is just ridiculous.

-King-
12-21-2020, 03:30 PM

Especially coming from the guy who cried about cutting Kareem Hunt for 2 years.

Megatron96
12-21-2020, 03:31 PM

I'm reasonably confident that Spags and House haven't forgotten about Gay. Just as I'm confident that Gay is playing as many snaps as they feel he's ready for. When Gay is ready to play more, he will.

It's really that simple.

And questioning the competence of a man that has won two Super Bowl rings with two different teams and two completely different sets of players in two different decades is what's really stupid. Just sayin'.

RunKC
12-21-2020, 03:35 PM
My guess:

In terms of positions, the closer you get to the center of the field equals the more knowledge you need to have success.

-King-
12-21-2020, 03:37 PM
I'm reasonably confident that Spags and House haven't forgotten about Gay. Just as I'm confident that Gay is playing as many snaps as they feel he's ready for. When Gay is ready to play more, he will.

It's really that simple.

And questioning the competence of a man that has won two Super Bowl rings with two different teams and two completely different sets of players in two different decades is what's really stupid. Just sayin'.

Yeah but it's still a message/discussion board. We can still discuss and try to figure out what those reasons are ourselves.

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 03:42 PM
Yeah but it's still a message/discussion board. We can still discuss and try to figure out what those reasons are ourselves.

True and there's a lot of people doing just that.

There's also a lot of people suggesting that these coaches are clueless.

Both are true.

Ming the Merciless
12-21-2020, 03:43 PM
I thought SandyCheeks and TiggerUppercut already left this board?

Megatron96
12-21-2020, 03:43 PM

no issues with discussion. Calling Spags competence into question is a big stretch, all things considered, though.

Ming the Merciless
12-21-2020, 03:45 PM
no issues with discussion. Calling Spags competence into question is a big stretch, all things considered, though.

holy shit you have a lot of posts in 1 year

i need to get back into shape

-King-
12-21-2020, 03:52 PM
True and there's a lot of people doing just that.

There's also a lot of people suggesting that these coaches are clueless.

Both are true.

Not really. It's more like:

Person A: Something must really be wrong if he still isn't really getting on the field this late in the season.

You and others: Yeah, superbowl winning coaches Spags and House must have no idea what they're doing huh? They must be stupid huh?!??

Megatron96
12-21-2020, 03:55 PM
holy shit you have a lot of posts in 1 year

i need to get back into shape

heh, this is what happens when a stupid virus closes everything down. My free time is spent either fishing or here.

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 03:56 PM
Not really. It's more like:

Person A: Something must really be wrong if he still isn't really getting on the field this late in the season.

You and others: Yeah, superbowl winning coaches Spags and House must have no idea what they're doing huh? They must be stupid huh?!??

This is a direct quote, from you even:

"It's like they're not even trying to get him out there more."

You flat out accused them of not trying. Like they want to lose or something.

Come on, man. You're better than this.

Ming the Merciless
12-21-2020, 03:59 PM
heh, this is what happens when a stupid virus closes everything down. My free time is spent either fishing or here.

noice

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8hdbns1Xdk0?start=3" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King-
12-21-2020, 04:03 PM
This is a direct quote, from you even:

"It's like they're not even trying to get him out there more."

You flat out accused them of not trying. Like they want to lose or something.

Come on, man. You're better than this.

That's not calling him stupid. That's the truth. His snap counts haven't really increased. He played 12 total snaps yesterday. If they were trying to get him out there more, they would and let him make his rookie mistakes so that hopefully by playoff time, he would have at least some of them ironed out and be able to play more snaps.

But at week 15, the time to do that may have passed.

I don't know how you took that as me attacking their competence over me talking about their strategy.

DaFace
12-21-2020, 04:16 PM
That's not calling him stupid. That's the truth. His snap counts haven't really increased. He played 12 total snaps yesterday. If they were trying to get him out there more, they would and let him make his rookie mistakes so that hopefully by playoff time, he would have at least some of them ironed out and be able to play more snaps.

But at week 15, the time to do that may have passed.

I don't know how you took that as me attacking their competence over me talking about their strategy.

I think it just comes across as pompous when you're making an evaluation of their strategy with 5% of their knowledge about the situation. It's clear that Spags isn't incompetent, so my conclusion is that Gay is fucking up in ways that we don't know about rather than Spags' strategy being wrong in this particular situation despite a track record to the contrary.

crispystl
12-21-2020, 04:23 PM
I'm really not a Nieman fan. He misses a lot of tackles. He's go to be the worst player on the team who gets playing time imo.

He’s the worst player on D that gets playing time and Keizer is the worst player on Offense that plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitt Gorilla
12-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Absolutely. Anyone suggesting that his playing time is somehow "incorrect" or "ridiculous" is a different deal altogether.

-King-
12-21-2020, 06:14 PM
I think it just comes across as pompous when you're making an evaluation of their strategy with 5% of their knowledge about the situation. It's clear that Spags isn't incompetent, so my conclusion is that Gay is fucking up in ways that we don't know about rather than Spags' strategy being wrong in this particular situation despite a track record to the contrary.

I didn't say that Spags strategy was wrong. I just personally don't understand it. And no, I get that they don't owe me anything and I'm a dumbass that doesn't understand shit and that they forgot more about football that I'll ever know and yada yada yada.

And I agree with you that it has to be something he isn't mentally getting. But damn, I still think he could be out there on plays where Neimann isn't calling the defense which is the majority amount of plays. Cause with Neimann, even if he reads the play right, he simply lacks the athleticism to get out and make the play. Not to mention the plays where he doesn't read the play. So it's always a lose lose with him.

But damn, can we discuss football without it being some conspiracy about since we don't like something or disagree with something that means we hate being the best team in football or we think the coaches are dumb? This is getting to be like when patriots fans would criticize Bills drafting and some other Patriots fan would come in with "Oh I gUeSs YoU haTe WiNnIng SupErBowlS hUh?" It's such a lazy thing to do IMO.

Megatron96
12-21-2020, 06:26 PM
I didn't say that Spags strategy was wrong. I just personally don't understand it. And no, I get that they don't owe me anything and I'm a dumbass that doesn't understand shit and that they forgot more about football that I'll ever know and yada yada yada.

And I agree with you that it has to be something he isn't mentally getting. But damn, I still think he could be out there on plays where Neimann isn't calling the defense which is the majority amount of plays. Cause with Neimann, even if he reads the play right, he simply lacks the athleticism to get out and make the play. Not to mention the plays where he doesn't read the play. So it's always a lose lose with him.

But damn, can we discuss football without it being some conspiracy about since we don't like something or disagree with something that means we hate being the best team in football or we think the coaches are dumb? This is getting to be like when patriots fans would criticize Bills drafting and some other Patriots fan would come in with "Oh I gUeSs YoU haTe WiNnIng SupErBowlS hUh?" It's such a lazy thing to do IMO.

Done. At least as far as I'm concerned. Tabula rasa and all that. Site-wide.

Getting disgusted with myself as much as anyone lately anyway. New leaf turned over.

Peace.:thumb:

Megatron96
12-21-2020, 06:35 PM

Just a thought: did NOR go into a hurry-up type offense early in the second half? I don't remember now, but if they did, it would've limited how Spags subbed player packages in and out of the game.

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 07:16 PM

I get it, and it really isn't fair to people like you who just wanna discuss it.

But take a look at the site lately - there's so much just blind bitching and moaning - this guy sucks, this guy sucks, the coaches suck, fire this guy, cut this guy.

It wears on people after a while.

O.city
12-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Wish we could cut htisimage

staylor26
12-21-2020, 07:44 PM
Wish we could cut htisimage

LMAO

You’ve become quite the troll as of late.

Bored?

DaFace
12-21-2020, 08:11 PM
Wish we could cut htisimageThe mods have a plan for him. You just have to be patient.

stevieray
12-21-2020, 09:43 PM
He took a bad angle on Hill and got punk'd.

He'll learn.

BWillie
12-21-2020, 09:55 PM
There is more than playing football than just being fast. But being fast is becoming more and more important as coverage acumen is increasingly importance in todays pass happy NFL

htismaqe
12-21-2020, 10:09 PM
The mods have a plan for him. You just have to be patient.

ROFL

This ought to be fun.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2020, 03:09 PM
I thought he looked really good today.

crispystl
12-27-2020, 03:47 PM
Gay looked great today. He’s gonna be a hell
Of a player for us. Him, Sneed and Wharton should all be key players in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halfcan
12-27-2020, 03:49 PM
Gay had 9 stops and a tackle for a loss. He led the team.

Peter Gibbons
12-27-2020, 03:54 PM
When the Gay was released today I found myself elated. NTTIAWWT

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-27-2020, 03:59 PM
Gay had 9 stops and a tackle for a loss. He led the team.

Cut him.

CasselGotPeedOn
12-27-2020, 04:00 PM
Gay really does have limitless potential

RealSNR
12-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Gay's out of the closet! Now he's gonna pound dudes!

Bl00dyBizkitz
12-27-2020, 04:02 PM
He should get starting time next week, too.

Could really use some fresh legs on Defense in the playoffs.

Brody Wa
12-27-2020, 04:47 PM
We will lose in the first round of the playoffs this year if we play like we played against the Falcolns. That was a ugly game.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Gay made some good plays, but some really really bad ones as well. Rewatch the game and focus on him. Niemann was playing pretty good today if you watch as well. However, Gay definitely has way more upside potential, I hope he learns from his mistakes...

-King-
12-27-2020, 05:48 PM
Gay made some good plays, but some really really bad ones as well. Rewatch the game and focus on him. Niemann was playing pretty good today if you watch as well. However, Gay definitely has way more upside potential, I hope he learns from his mistakes...

What were those really bad plays you keep talking about?

Pitt Gorilla
12-27-2020, 05:50 PM
Again, I hate to say it, but we really do miss Hitch on the field.

TwistedChief
12-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Gay has a ton of potential. And he shows that every single time he's on the field. He's exactly the player we envisioned when Veach drafted him.

But the guy didn't even play that much in college and then missed OTAs, the preseason, etc. There's no way he has the ability to QB the defense like Hitchens or Niemann does...yet.

But when he puts it all together, he's going to be really special. Love his physical ability.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-27-2020, 07:57 PM
What were those really bad plays you keep talking about?

Again, rewatch the game and focus on him... He has a ton of upside, but he got pancaked to his back on a running play and blown up by the fullback on another. He is often out of position or has misreads. He had some really good plays because he is very very athletic and will be the future at the position, but those saying he was amazing today, didn't watch him on every play.

-King-
12-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Again, rewatch the game and focus on him... He has a ton of upside, but he got pancaked to his back on a running play and blown up by the fullback on another. He is often out of position or has misreads. He had some really good plays because he is very very athletic and will be the future at the position, but those saying he was amazing today, didn't watch him on every play.

And he still made more plays and was better than Neimann on Neimanns best day.

Hoover
12-27-2020, 08:35 PM
I thought we played well until Neiman went out. That other LB dude was way out of position.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2020, 09:21 PM
I thought we played well until Neiman went out. That other LB dude was way out of position.

They only gave up 14 points. In today’s game, that’s playing really well.

louie aguiar
12-27-2020, 09:26 PM
Chiefs best lb since Derrick Johnson.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2020, 09:29 PM
Gay pounded very hard today.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-27-2020, 10:29 PM

Again, rewatch, its just not true... Niemann was actually playing fairly well today, which is his ceiling, again, Gay isn't near his ceiling, and is the future. However, he looked like a HS player on some plays, and an NFL star on some plays today...

htismaqe
12-27-2020, 10:41 PM

Not today sorry. Gay was too shallow in his drops and was out of position in the passing game several times. He’s got a ways to go. Bormann actually had a really good game.

Great Expectations
12-28-2020, 06:27 AM
Not today sorry. Gay was too shallow in his drops and was out of position in the passing game several times. He’s got a ways to go. Bormann actually had a really good game.

Even with those coachable improvements needed he is still a lot better than Neiman who doesn’t make the play when he is in the correct position. Gay is so much more athletic that he sometimes makes plays when he is out of position.

Great Expectations
12-28-2020, 06:33 AM
Again, rewatch, its just not true... Niemann was actually playing fairly well today, which is his ceiling, again, Gay isn't near his ceiling, and is the future. However, he looked like a HS player on some plays, and an NFL star on some plays today...

If Neimann was just a little below average athlete he could’ve picked off Ryan on the play where he threw the ball 15 yards high and 5 yards down the field to the RB (was this the play he hurt himself on?). Instead he looks like he has cement in his shoes and can’t get anywhere in open space.

Dunerdr
12-28-2020, 07:06 AM
We will probably be forced to with injuries but id give gay every snap next week. He's got to be on the field to grow. lets get him as good as we can as we roll into the playoffs.

O.city
12-28-2020, 08:10 AM
In my opinion, this is why he should have been playing earlier. He's making mistakes now you woudl expect a rookie to make. You can see the athleticism but he just needs experience.

Perineum Ripper
12-28-2020, 08:32 AM
If Neimann was just a little below average athlete he could’ve picked off Ryan on the play where he threw the ball 15 yards high and 5 yards down the field to the RB (was this the play he hurt himself on?). Instead he looks like he has cement in his shoes and can’t get anywhere in open space.

That was also the play where he hurt hamstring or whatever it was, he was skipping on one leg on his way to the ball. So that might not be the greatest play to point out

He has tons of plays where he sucks fat donkey cock

Iczer
12-28-2020, 08:37 AM

I dunno it seemed like Nieman kept filling the wrong gaps allowing wide open runs

Chris Meck
12-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Yeah, we saw that good, the bad, and the ugly with Gay this week.

Wow, he can fly, and is very physical.

Also-wow can he just look clueless.

He's just not mentally ready to be in there all the time yet.

That being said, I think they should play him all game next week, the reps will do him good.

Chris Meck
12-28-2020, 08:58 AM
In my opinion, this is why he should have been playing earlier. He's making mistakes now you woudl expect a rookie to make. You can see the athleticism but he just needs experience.

well, when you're trying to win your division, and then trying to get the bye and home field advantage to return to the Super Bowl and win it, you can't really risk all that on a rookie losing you games you must win.

It's not like we're blowing people out; a few bad plays could make the difference between 14-2 and 11-5.

I say 14-2 because I expect we'll not play the starters all that much this week and will lose.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-28-2020, 09:29 AM
Yeah, we saw that good, the bad, and the ugly with Gay this week.

Wow, he can fly, and is very physical.

Also-wow can he just look clueless.

He's just not mentally ready to be in there all the time yet.

That being said, I think they should play him all game next week, the reps will do him good.

^this^ I'm excited about Gay's future with the Chiefs...

emaw1979
12-28-2020, 09:43 AM
well, when you're trying to win your division, and then trying to get the bye and home field advantage to return to the Super Bowl and win it, you can't really risk all that on a rookie losing you games you must win.

It's not like we're blowing people out; a few bad plays could make the difference between 14-2 and 11-5.

I say 14-2 because I expect we'll not play the starters all that much this week and will lose.

I normally agree with this take but there is no reason to start Neiman over Gay. Neiman's physical limitations are far greater than Gay's mental limitations. The best and fastest way for Gay to learn and make his impact is on the field not sitting behind a horrible LB that "knows the playbook."

O.city
12-28-2020, 09:48 AM

Yeah, I don't disagree.

This year being what it is, they weren't gonna get much from rookies who needed some seasoning.

Megatron96
12-28-2020, 09:59 AM
I normally agree with this take but there is no reason to start Neiman over Gay. Neiman's physical limitations are far greater than Gay's mental limitations. The best and fastest way for Gay to learn and make his impact is on the field not sitting behind a horrible LB that "knows the playbook."

Bearing in mind that Gay, nor any of the rooks, got a real preseason or any preseason games to get some of that 'seasoning,' you fellas are talking about.

Iczer
12-28-2020, 10:08 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> LB Willie Gay Jr. made a big impact on Sunday<br><br>• 49 Snaps<br>• 85.2 Overall (Best with 20+ snaps)<br>• 87.0 Run Defense (Season-Best)<br>• 81.2 Tackling (Season-Best)<br>• 69.9 Coverage<br>• 10 Tackles<br>• 0 Missed Tackles<br>• 6 Stops<br><br>📸: Denny Medley, USA Today<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a> <a href="https://t.co/eeZfwtU0Ny">pic.twitter.com/eeZfwtU0Ny</a></p>&mdash; PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1343572430460170246?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaFace
12-28-2020, 10:17 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> LB Willie Gay Jr. made a big impact on Sunday<br><br>• 49 Snaps<br>• 85.2 Overall (Best with 20+ snaps)<br>• 87.0 Run Defense (Season-Best)<br>• 81.2 Tackling (Season-Best)<br>• 69.9 Coverage<br>• 10 Tackles<br>• 0 Missed Tackles<br>• 6 Stops<br><br>[emoji991]: Denny Medley, USA Today<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a> <a href="https://t.co/eeZfwtU0Ny">pic.twitter.com/eeZfwtU0Ny</a></p>— PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1343572430460170246?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>I really try to view PFF for what it is and not try to read too much into it, but it's really hard to get excited about tweets like this when they're right beside tweets like this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> LB Ben Niemann had by far the best game of his career on Sunday<br><br>• 84.9 Overall (Career-Best, season-best by >10)<br>• 90.7 Coverage (Career-Best, season-best by >20)<br>• 74.0 Tackling<br>• 5 Yards Allowed<br>• Forced Fumble<br><br>[emoji991]: Denny Medley, USA Today<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChiefsKingdom?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ChiefsKingdom</a> <a href="https://t.co/bCt4G2RGKv">pic.twitter.com/bCt4G2RGKv</a></p>— PFF KC Chiefs (@PFF_Chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1343573693990137857?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You mean that guys contribute more when they are on the field more? How insightful...

Chris Meck
12-28-2020, 10:24 AM
I think there's a tendency to watch football and see-

Hey, Gay made a great tackle there! Nice play! He should be in every down!

And then the next play, there's a dump-off to a RB in the flat where Gay misread the flow and the play goes for 40 yards or something and if you're watching you don't understand that it was Gay who screwed up.

Both of those things happened yesterday.

I think Gay has star potential; but he's not yet ready for primetime and it's difficult when you're trying to win a SB to put him out there and take the bad with the good.

Now this week? hell yeah, he plays every damned snap if you can arrange it.

We're going to need him to make some plays this postseason.

htismaqe
12-28-2020, 10:26 AM
Funny, I’d have to say those PFF ratings are pretty accurate from what I saw yesterday.

htismaqe
12-28-2020, 10:27 AM

And then the next play, there's a dump-off to a RB in the flat where Gay misread the flow and the play goes for 40 yards or something and if you're watching you don't understand that it was Gay who screwed up.

I think Gay has star potential; but he's not yet ready for primetime and it's difficult when you're trying to win a SB to put him out there and take the bad with the good.

Exactly. Two of their chunk plays over the middle were to spots where Gay should have been if his drop was deep enough. He’s getting there but he’s not there yet.

DaFace
12-28-2020, 10:32 AM
Funny, I’d have to say those PFF ratings are pretty accurate from what I saw yesterday.Sure, but my point is that they're largely just driven by time on the field rather than an average performance per play.

scho63
12-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Gay was quick to the ball, made great tackles and smacked that runner to jar the ball loose and turn the game at that moment.

I want him in all game this week when needed.

Megatron96
12-28-2020, 10:39 AM

This.

I thought Gay had a great game, overall. But he also missed some plays, and maybe I didn't see it right, but I'm almost positive that Gay did, in fact, miss one tackle. But someone else came and cleaned it up, so who cares?

And I was surprised at how well Niemann played overall as well.

But often PFF rates/ranks players in ways that I find puzzling. Last season, for instance, they decided that Patrick was the 6th best QB in the NFL after week 3 or 4? Based on things like "hidden INTs/Turnovers" or something?

So in a very general sense I can agree with PFF, in that both Gay and Niemann played well yesterday.

The actual numbers that they throw out there I tend to treat as arbitrary, with a fairly wide window for error, unless I can find another source to back up their "ratings."

htismaqe
12-28-2020, 10:41 AM
Sure, but my point is that they're largely just driven by time on the field rather than an average performance per play.

It’s the inherent bias of a small sample size, IMO. All PFF does is watch the games, just like we do. Less snaps equals more overall weight per snap, good or bad.

BossChief
12-28-2020, 12:43 PM
Gotta give Gay enough snaps to let the coaches have game tape to coach him with leading up to our divisional round game.

Sassy Squatch
01-01-2021, 02:47 PM
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/1/1/22209259/chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-says-willie-gay-is-going-to-see-a-lot-of-football-nfl-darius-harris-week-16

“What Willie does is he plays fast,” Spagnuolo noted. “He plays fast and he’s physical — and that’s what you want in your linebackers. [But] there’s still a learning curve here — I think that’s true of anybody that plays that particular position in year one. And again, I go back to not having the offseason and whatnot, but we’re getting him caught up. He’s certainly going to see a lot of football now — and that’s a good thing for him.”