PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mahomes and Reid elite closers, set another record

jerryaldini
12-20-2020, 10:14 PM
The Chiefs have won six consecutive games by fewer than 7 points. That's an NFL record to you and me, Rusty. And the last 5 games is a 2015 Royals bullpen situation.

The six began with CAR game where the offense was unable to seal the deal after getting the ball at midfield at 1;53. Three and out, punting to the CAR 9 with 1:26 left and no timeouts. The defense rose to the occasion.

But in the last 5 games Andy and GOAT have put together impressive, non-because Chiefs days, game killing drives. Andy has become clock wizard with Mahomes. So the next time the Chiefs need to kill the clock, just chill baby chill. Here they are for your remembering pleasure:

LV 7 plays 75 yards 1:15 TD 35-31

TB 8 plays 33 yards 4:10 end of game

DEN 10 plays 55 yards 5:03 FG 22-16

MIA 10 plays 47 yards 3:07 FG 33-27

NO 7 plays 34 yards 2:06 end of game

Red Dawg
12-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Definitely elite. Mahomes has been magic burning time and getting points.

carcosa
12-20-2020, 10:21 PM
And I never, at any point, felt like they were gonna lose any of those games.

TribalElder
12-20-2020, 10:22 PM
Also, I believe another record fell today. I think its the first time we went undefeated on the road in a season (heard it mentioned today)

jjchieffan
12-20-2020, 10:26 PM
It's been great. And the best part is that Andy hasn't been just old school running the ball to take more time off. He trusts Mahomes to make the plays to move the chains. It's aggressive, and it's successful.

Mecca
12-20-2020, 10:28 PM
Also, I believe another record fell today. I think its the first time we went undefeated on the road in a season (heard it mentioned today)

It's also the first time any team in history has 5 road wins in a single season against teams that finished above 500, it could move to 6 depends on the Raiders.

Chieftain
12-20-2020, 10:31 PM
Reid called a great game. Probably the best playcalling of any game this season. I can't think of a single play in today's game that I questioned. That's elite level coaching. Of course helps having Mahomes.

DTVietnam
12-20-2020, 10:53 PM
Reid still takes his foot off the gas a bit too early sometimes and makes games closer than they should be...

smithandrew051
12-20-2020, 11:03 PM
Reid still takes his foot off the gas a bit too early sometimes and makes games closer than they should be...

I don’t think he takes his foot off the gas too early, but definitely earlier than the fans would like. We still won all of those games, so it wasn’t too early.

This is where you can tell which analysts and “experts” actually watch the Chiefs play and which ones just glance over the box score.

There is a HUGE difference between winning on the final play of the game and having a huge lead then taking your foot off the gas. Both games might have the same margin of victory, but both tell very different stories.

I think we all know that we won’t lay off the gas in the playoffs until the game is well in hand.

Reid is perfectly fine with a bunch of close wins in the regular season. He doesn’t run the score up like Baltimore, but it would be fun to see him do it a few times.

Easy 6
12-20-2020, 11:05 PM
And I never, at any point, felt like they were gonna lose any of those games.

Same... 15 is the ultimate cheat code and his entire team damn well knows it, they always know they've got a legit shot

ChiefsFanatic
12-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Reid called a great game. Probably the best playcalling of any game this season. I can't think of a single play in today's game that I questioned. That's elite level coaching. Of course helps having Mahomes.I disagree slightly. Reid's play calling in the red zone was much improved compared to previous games, but overall he put Mahomes in the line of fire too much.

With our poor offensive line play, Reid once again called a majority of passing plays that did not have short check downs or shallow crosses, etc. He has developed a habit of calling plays with routes that take longer than 2.5 seconds to develop, forcing Mahomes to hold onto the ball longer than 2.5 seconds.

The offensive line is a patchwork of 2nd and 3rd stringers, and Reid calls plays like we have Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, and Tait out there.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

BWillie
12-20-2020, 11:33 PM
Loved the play calling at the end of the game.

Priest31kc
12-21-2020, 12:10 AM
I disagree slightly. Reid's play calling in the red zone was much improved compared to previous games, but overall he put Mahomes in the line of fire too much.

With our poor offensive line play, Reid once again called a majority of passing plays that did not have short check downs or shallow crosses, etc. He has developed a habit of calling plays with routes that take longer than 2.5 seconds to develop, forcing Mahomes to hold onto the ball longer than 2.5 seconds.

The offensive line is a patchwork of 2nd and 3rd stringers, and Reid calls plays like we have Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, and Tait out there.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Agreed. He adjusted in the 2nd half, but Im confused why we had that game plan at all vs that rush with Schwartz & Remmers out, and why it took until after half to run more quick passing game.

duncan_idaho
12-21-2020, 06:47 AM
Agree that you can tell which analysts are watching the Chiefs closely and which are not.

The ones expressing “concern” about the
chiefs are not watching (or taking the oppositional viewpoint because someone has to).

Throughout this win streak, the number of teams who had the ball in the 4th quarter with a shot to tie or take the lead is small (3 games out of 9).

The Chiefs 4-minute offense has been excellently efficient and clock choking.

HayWire
12-21-2020, 07:10 AM

Agreed. I'm guilty of yelling "Fat Andy" at the TV when he lets up.

I know he's known as a nice guy and he doesn't want to run the score up but damn.

While I do wish he would have more of a "step on your throat" mentality it's also kind of pointless to bitch when we are the defending champions.

Dayze
12-21-2020, 08:03 AM
I think the game wouldn't have even been close if D-Rob didn't D-Rob it at the end of the half.

that gave the Aints and spark / hope for the 2nd half. wouldve been totally different if the chiefs were up by 17 mid way through the 3rd.

TwistedChief
12-21-2020, 08:10 AM
Since we’re talking about cool stats, Mahomes is now 9-0 in his career against top-5 defenses. Wow.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2020, 08:14 AM
I think the game wouldn't have even been close if D-Rob didn't D-Rob it at the end of the half.

that gave the Aints and spark / hope for the 2nd half. wouldve been totally different if the chiefs were up by 17 mid way through the 3rd.

That and Mahomes fumble around the 30 yard line.

I think it was 29-15 Chiefs at that point?

One thing I’ve learned this season.....Only the Chiefs can beat the Chiefs.

chiefzilla1501
12-21-2020, 08:16 AM
I've had a lot of issues with how Andy closes out games. But ever since he trusted mahomes it looks pretty awesome. And I'd have to think it's vice versa. How many times have we gone for it on 4th down because mahomes pleaded to the sidelines? It's pretty crazy to think about how perfect a qb mahomes is for Reid.

Gary Cooper
12-21-2020, 08:34 AM
I don't remember Reid being an elite closer until Mahomes became starter. We've had some epic collapses under Reid in big games prior to Mahomes. They're a great compliment to each other but I think Mahomes should get most the credit.

duncan_idaho
12-21-2020, 08:36 AM
I don't remember Reid being an elite closer until Mahomes became starter. We've had some epic collapses under Reid in big games prior to Mahomes. They're a great compliment to each other but I think Mahomes should get most the credit.

He wasn’t. Mahomes gives him the confidence to be more aggressive trying to pick up 1st downs late in games. Those more aggressive playcalls are still very high percentage because of Mahomes’ skillset.

It’s just a great combo.

O.city
12-21-2020, 08:37 AM
All coaches are great closers when they have great qbs

Shocking development

Dartgod
12-21-2020, 08:49 AM

You know what happens when he doesn't take his foot off the gas? Mahomes gets crushed and fumbles the ball because our decimated OL can't hold back an elite pass rush. Be careful what you wish for.

stevieray
12-21-2020, 09:07 AM
Savor these momets ya'll.. don't pick them apart.

This ride doesn't come around very often.

O.city
12-21-2020, 09:36 AM
You know what happens when he doesn't take his foot off the gas? Mahomes gets crushed and fumbles the ball because our decimated OL can't hold back an elite pass rush. Be careful what you wish for.

People would have been pissed because they always are but on the 3rd and 10 when he got smashed and fumbled, I told my BIL I’d just run it and punt.

You’re up 2 scores and the saints offense looks like a popgun

duncan_idaho
12-21-2020, 09:37 AM
All coaches are great closers when they have great qbs

Shocking development

Yes, they are. As long as they trust their guy to get the job done and are a little aggressive when it's "winning time."

O.city
12-21-2020, 09:39 AM
Yes, they are. As long as they trust their guy to get the job done and are a little aggressive when it's "winning time."

I just hate the “andy has become this or that”

Nah. He’s what he’s always been he just has a hall of fame Ray qb who he trusts now.

Andy has always been a great head coach.

bowener
12-21-2020, 09:42 AM
Reid called a great game. Probably the best playcalling of any game this season. I can't think of a single play in today's game that I questioned. That's elite level coaching. Of course helps having Mahomes.

I can't agree with you. He knows the OL is backups of backups and yet he called a ton of deep routes and plays that take forever to develop. It got more frustrating to watch because the Saints D made it clear they were sticking with the double high safeties. The reverses were especially terrible choices against a fast defense too. Chiefs had success rushing the ball and should have gone to the run more often early to wear down that defense and make shit easy for the garbage OL.

ChiTown
12-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Since we’re talking about cool stats, Mahomes is now 9-0 in his career against top-5 defenses. Wow.

THAT is amazing!

Azide22
12-21-2020, 10:01 AM
I dont think he took the foot off the pedal last 2 weeks at least. They made costly turnovers, and were playing good teams. Miami game - Mahomes puts ball to Hill on last INT 5 yards deeper, its 37-10. Now throwing deep balls up 20 isnt taking pedal off.

This week, they were playing for it still - but sack fumble gave them a chance and some momentum, but on 2nd down after 2 min warning- pass play that all but sealed game. That was aggressive.

FloridaMan88
12-21-2020, 10:51 AM
The more accurate headline is that Mahomes is such an elite closer he has transformed Andy Reid and his previous game management comedy of errors into an elite closer as well.

jerryaldini
01-17-2021, 10:05 PM
Today 8 plays, 24 yards, killed final 4:09. Another masterful finish by Reid.

Meanwhile on the Browns final drive they decided to milk clock on each snap and used 4 minutes to get one first down and 12 yards. Needing a TD it was bad clock management by Stefanski.