PDA

View Full Version : News Man survives miraculously after getting trapped in car buried by snow plow 10 hours

Otter
12-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Man gets trapped in car under snow for 10 hours, rescued | Photo Credit: YouTube

A man had to spend 10 hours in his car in freezing temperatures after a passing snowplow and rapidly accumulating snow buried the vehicle.

Kevin Kresen was driving off during a snowstorm in the town of Owego when he hit a ditch and was also 'plowed by a truck'. As his vehicle's door was blocked by the thick accumulation of snow, he had no other option than to wait for rescue inside the vehicle, according to an AP report

Fortunately, he was able to get a call through to 911 and was rescued in the nick of time by a New York state trooper. But that happened after 10 long hours.

State Police Sgt. Jason Cawley, the man who rescued carried out the rescue, said Kevin could've died had he arrived at the location an hour later.

“If he was in there for another hour his body temperature would have gone lower, and I’m convinced he wouldn’t have made it,” said Jason Cawley.

Watch video:

Kevin said he drove his car into a ditch around midnight. He tried calling 911 in the early hours of Thursday but was unable to get through. As the car was completely disabled by the freezing temperatures, Kevin was left without any heat.

How was he located?

After the 911 call, first responders were able to narrow the call to a 5-km stretch along a river in Owego, which was covered with over 40 inches of snow.

When the responders reached the spot, they noticed Kevin's car was almost completely covered in snow.

Cawley reached the spot and punched the side window of the car. When Kevin responded from inside, the State Police officer was shocked to realise he was standing almost on top of the car.

Cawley then cleared the glass and managed to dig Kevin out with the help of a passerby.

The 58-year-old suffered from frostbite and hypothermia due to excessive exposure to freezing temperatures. He was immediately taken to a hospital, where his body temperature returned to normal.

Otter
12-22-2020, 07:32 PM
When I can't figure out how to get out of my vehicle after the first 5 hours just shoot me.

Coogs
12-22-2020, 07:40 PM
So the cop punched out the window, and then was shocked to find out he was standing on top of the car. Not the sharpest cop.

Rain Man
12-22-2020, 07:45 PM
When I can't figure out how to get out of my vehicle after the first 5 hours just shoot me.

Yeah, that seems kind of odd. But I guess if the snow packs around your windows, they're going to be reinforced very strongly. You'd have to bust a window and then pull it in.

I'll admit that I always kind of like manual window cranks for that reason. If the car goes off a bridge, I can roll down a window pretty fast. With power windows it's going to take something more.

I keep thinking that I need to get one of those window-breaker things for our car. We don't exactly have a lot of bridges in Colorado, though I guess now I know that I need it for getting snowed in.

FAX
12-22-2020, 07:48 PM
I've imagined most of the fearsome and nightmarish means that could ultimately lead to my demise.

But for some reason, "Buried By A Snowplow" was somehow omitted.

FAX

Otter
12-22-2020, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that seems kind of odd. But I guess if the snow packs around your windows, they're going to be reinforced very strongly. You'd have to bust a window and then pull it in.

I'll admit that I always kind of like manual window cranks for that reason. If the car goes off a bridge, I can roll down a window pretty fast. With power windows it's going to take something more.

I keep thinking that I need to get one of those window-breaker things for our car. We don't exactly have a lot of bridges in Colorado, though I guess now I know that I need it for getting snowed in.

The Frozen Chosen down in Silverton can get away with this in a pinch but I'm sorry, at some point you cannot be part of the heard and still be considered productive.

And yes, I spelled "heard" instead of "herd".

Easy 6
12-22-2020, 07:59 PM

:eek: WHAT DO I DO HERE?

Rain Man
12-22-2020, 08:08 PM
The Frozen Chosen down in Silverton can get away with this in a pinch but I'm sorry, at some point you cannot be part of the heard and still be considered productive.

And yes, I spelled "heard" instead of "herd".

If you go off that road above Silverton, your best option is to leave a note for future archaeologists about what 21st-century America was like.

Otter
12-22-2020, 08:41 PM
If you go off that road above Silverton, your best option is to leave a note for future archaeologists about what 21st-century America was like.

Silverton to Vail is kind of like the beginning scene in "The Shining". It's a good luck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kiV3J_e977Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red Dawg
12-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Idiot.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-22-2020, 09:00 PM
#11 drink antifreeze

Valiant
12-22-2020, 09:07 PM
Just like a sinking car. Roll your windows down and go up.

frozenchief
12-22-2020, 09:16 PM
Idiot.

Maybe. Maybe not.

In Alaska, we have a term ‘snow suck’. I have no doubt CP will have fun with it. But in heavy snow, when it is hard to see the road let alone lane markings, the deeper snow on the side of the road can pull a car off the road and into the ditch quite quickly and unexpectedly. The idea is that the snow just sucks you into the ditch, hence the name. This is also far more likely with that heavy, wet snow that you get right around freezing. If it’s colder and the snow is drier, it isn’t such an issue.

It’s a problem just because all of a sudden your vehicle really wants to swerve rightward into the ditch but the initial reaction is to swerve hard leftward. Swerving hard to the left, though, can put you into oncoming traffic or make you start swerving all over an icy road. The best reaction is to point your steering wheel slightly to the left while taking your foot off the gas and lightly hitting the brakes. Snow deep enough to create snow suck, usually several inches, will slow you down quickly. If you’re lucky, you’ll slow down enough that you can get back onto the road. If not, well, you’re in the ditch.

The article just says that the guy went into the ditch. Doesn’t sound like he was hot dogging it or other dangerous driving. Maybe he was, although I’d expect that more from someone 18 or 28 instead of 58. So maybe he was an idiot and maybe he didn’t see the lane markers, his right tires hit deeper snow on the side of the road and the next thing he knows, he’s in the ditch. If he’s idiotic about anything it’s living in an area with that much snow without an emergency kit in his car: blankets and other materials necessary to stay warm and alive should he get into this situation.

ChiefsFanatic
12-23-2020, 05:17 AM
I watched one of those I Survived type shoes on A&E or TMC, and a person was stranded in their car for much longer than 10 hours, and survived by eating Taco Bell sauce packets.

At least that's my memory of the show.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk