PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs SI: The Inevitability of the Kansas City Chiefs

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 03:57 PM
<section class="l-grid lm-grid--detail lm-grid--with-right-rail"><header class="m-detail-header mm-detail-header--in-content-well">The Inevitability of the Kansas City Chiefs

The season is already over, we're all just going through the motions now.

</header>"The Kansas City Chiefs don’t win well enough."

That’s what I’ve been hearing and reading from analysts throughout our hermetically sealed football bubble. I’ve even seen it from some Chiefs fans on Twitter.

The Chiefs are 14-1, but they aren’t obliterating their opponents and mailing the leftover viscera to their families, so are they really winning?
The Chiefs have the best record in football, but their wins are being counted against them more than the losses of all other playoff teams. Nearly every discussion about the Chiefs over the last three or four weeks has legitimately been “Why aren’t the Chiefs blowing everyone out, and should we be concerned?”

This is, in part, the Chiefs’ own doing. While the Chiefs have mostly goofed off, sleepwalked, and can’t-be-bothered their way to a 14-1 record, the Buffalo Bills and Green Bay Packers have spent the last couple of weeks looking a lot more exciting.

Yet, the Chiefs have the second-best point differential in the NFL. They trail only the Baltimore Ravens, who they always beat. So, to be clear, the lackadaisical team that looks like it couldn’t care less and refuses to blow out teams is second in the league at scoring more points than their opponent.

I get it. The version of the NFL we know today was built on storylines and narratives. Like 50% of the stuff I’ve written about the Chiefs has been complaining about dumb made-up media/fan narratives or trying to find narratives of my own to spend a thousand words on. Without the rivalries or beefs or soap operas or redemption arcs, the NFL wouldn’t be one of the biggest sports and entertainment goliaths in the world.

<aside class="m-in-content-ad-row l-inline not-size-a not-size-b"></aside>The Chiefs' inevitability runs counter to the idea the NFL is the land of parity. It’s difficult to preach “any given Sunday” when Kansas City feels so inevitable. We all already know the ending, but we’re pretending like we didn’t peek at the last page before starting the prologue. We’ve known where this season has been headed since last season ended.

The Chiefs have no competition. Everyone knows it. The comparison to the '90s Chicago Bulls and 2010s Golden State Warriors are already tired. They could kneel the ball every play until the fourth quarter and still put up 31. They have no peers. It's the Chiefs, about a galaxy of empty space, and then everyone else.

That’s not just this year; it’s the next 15 years. People like to point to the Chiefs' collection of talent and say there’s no way the team can maintain its powerhouse status after Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill are gone. I would remind those people that Kelce and Hill were third- and fifth-round picks. The Chiefs are about to be a Patriots-tier dynasty that also drafts well. It’s over, folks.

Turning to the 2020 playoffs, the Bills or Tennessee Titans on their absolute most flawless days will beat the Chiefs on their absolute worst day. That is legitimately the only reality in which the Chiefs do not get to a second-straight Super Bowl.

The rest of the AFC has no shot. The Steelers and Colts have lumbering, geriatric noodle-arm quarterbacks who load up like trebuchets before hucking the ball seven yards downfield in an excruciating, borderline-tortuous fashion. The Ravens have had three seasons to figure out how to attack Mahomes and just keep getting embarrassed. The Browns would need twice the graupel they got last time (https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/01/poor-weather-wreaks-havoc-on-raiders-game-vs-browns/) to even have a shot at keeping it close. The Dolphins are just kinda there.

<aside class="m-in-content-ad-row l-inline not-size-a not-size-b"></aside>As far as potential Super Bowl opponents, the Packers and Seahawks fall into the Bills and Titans “if we don’t make a single mistake and the Chiefs eat themselves, then we have a shot” camp. Everyone else is hopeless. All of their fatal flaws are infinitely exploitable by even a middling Chiefs performance.

It’s not fun for anyone but the Chiefs and their fans to exist in a world where no one else has a fair shot. But it is what it is, and after this postseason, reality will finally set in. The only thing stopping the Chiefs are injuries or themselves.

The 2020 season was over when it started, the games were just a formality.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/the-inevitability-of-the-kansas-city-chiefs?fbclid=IwAR3fD1E9Ao1Lqx9TKqJfVEv2UrZ22PiTkjCfljQ-JqmJ2L0ouqE1hikwOTM
</section>

Hammock Parties
12-31-2020, 03:59 PM
The Unbearable Lightness of Mahomes

MahomesMagic
12-31-2020, 04:00 PM
The Steelers and Colts have lumbering, geriatric noodle-arm quarterbacks who load up like trebuchets before hucking the ball seven yards downfield

Lol.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2020, 04:03 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Throw

BWillie
12-31-2020, 04:05 PM
Whenever the Independence Missouri Chiefs wish to score, they can do so. I've noticed whenever they NEED a TD. They get a TD.

And they seem to not get up to playing avg teams for whatever reason.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
12-31-2020, 04:05 PM
I thought the NFL was all about the rating$. Close makes the most

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 04:08 PM
Brisco is right................

The Chiefs' wins are being held against them more than other teams' losses.

Bearcat
12-31-2020, 04:08 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

(and hopefully this article ages well)

Easy 6
12-31-2020, 04:11 PM
"The Steelers and Colts have lumbering, geriatric, noodle arm quarterbacks who load up like trebuchets before hucking the ball seven yards downfield..."

LMAO I like the cut of this guys jib

ReynardMuldrake
12-31-2020, 04:14 PM
Watching this team be down is kinda like watching Bruce Banner getting shoved around. You're just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

htismaqe
12-31-2020, 04:14 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting.

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2020, 04:16 PM
I've apparently been living in a cave for a yet to be determined amount of time...

When did Sports Illustrated start aligning themselves with shitty-ass FanNation bloggers?

Saw that it was from SI and thought this might be a Andy Benoit or Jenny Vrentas piece and it's from some basement slapdick.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-31-2020, 04:20 PM
Brisco is right................

The Chiefs' wins are being held against them more than other teams' losses.

Everyone is looking for reasons to believe the Chiefs aren’t going back-to-back. That’s all it means.

siberian khatru
12-31-2020, 04:21 PM
I've apparently been living in a cave for a yet to be determined amount of time...

When did Sports Illustrated start aligning themselves with shitty-ass FanNation bloggers?

Saw that it was from SI and thought this might be a Andy Benoit or Jenny Vrentas piece and it's from some basement slapdick.

Same here.

This is a fan post.

https://www.si.com/.image/ar_1:1%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cg_face%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_640/MTc3NTEyMjg0NDE4MDI1Mjc5/image-from-ios-2.jpg

Jacob Harris is a writer of semi-frequency for Arrowhead Report on SI.com. He previously wrote at a fluctuating pace for Arrowhead Addict. Follow Jacob’s Twitter @jacobnharris.

KCUnited
12-31-2020, 04:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zlv8xX9.gif

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Same here.

This is a fan post.

Jacob Harris is a writer of semi-frequency for Arrowhead Report on SI.com. He previously wrote at a fluctuating pace for Arrowhead Addict. Follow Jacob’s Twitter @jacobnharris.

Saw the title and was hoping it was long-form, talking to players/coaches/front office about how they've been planning to "run it back" since LIV ended, how difficult things have been on the field and front office due to COVID, etc.

Instead, we get a puff piece that damn near anyone here could have done better.

Easy 6
12-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Thats a manly beard, combined with the scholarly looking specs and Chiefs gear... I still like the cut of his jib

Pablo
12-31-2020, 04:27 PM
Whoa, surprised Jason could stop gettin' pussy for the hour it took him to put this together.

Pitt Gorilla
12-31-2020, 04:27 PM
Currently, our offensive line prevents us from putting up better numbers. If they can get healthy, we'll look better.

OnTheWarpath15
12-31-2020, 04:28 PM
Whoa, surprised Jason could stop gettin' pussy for the hour it took him to put this together.

Hour? Dude looks slow but there's no way that took more than 20 minutes.

Pablo
12-31-2020, 04:30 PM
Hrmm, I wonder how daquix feels about this article...

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 04:31 PM

Saw that it was from SI and thought this might be a Andy Benoit or Jenny Vrentas piece and it's from some basement slapdick.You did take awhile to get over covid. ;)

SI is trying to be like the Athletic. Trying to get beat writers for every team but not paying shit. So you get who will work for free or near free.

Peter Gibbons
12-31-2020, 04:31 PM
This writer seems nice.

Rain Man
12-31-2020, 04:48 PM
It’s not fun for anyone but the Chiefs and their fans to exist in a world where no one else has a fair shot.

In a lucky coincidence, these are the only people I care about in the football world.

htismaqe
12-31-2020, 04:50 PM
Same here.

This is a fan post.

https://www.si.com/.image/ar_1:1%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cg_face%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_640/MTc3NTEyMjg0NDE4MDI1Mjc5/image-from-ios-2.jpg

The beard alone is epic. Lay off the dude.

comochiefsfan
12-31-2020, 04:50 PM
Hrmm, I wonder how daquix feels about this article...

I'm gonna love every second of the ass whooping we lay on his "amazing" team.

Zebedee DuBois
12-31-2020, 04:54 PM
I enjoyed reading that.

Is it good journalism or accurate analysis? No, of course not - but really - just about as good and accurate as any other sports journalism story.

big nasty kcnut
12-31-2020, 04:57 PM
The chiefs are Batman. The rest of the league kite man.

TrebMaxx
12-31-2020, 04:59 PM
First off, that beard is awesome. I also agree the weakness that could derail our season is our offensive line. Maybe the rest will get them healthy but it is a fine line between rest and rust.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2020, 05:02 PM
The only team that can beat the Chiefs is the Chiefs. With that said, there are numerous examples of dominant teams having flat or ineffective performances in one game samples that led to stunning defeats on a championship path. Just a few off the top of my head:

1983 Nebraska
1986 Miami Hurricanes
1998 Minnesota Vikings
2001 Rams
2007 Patriots

It's not common, but it can and has happened, especially when the ball ain't round.

htismaqe
12-31-2020, 05:06 PM
I’m not super worried about the o-line. This team has not been playing to protect the line. They’re running too many deep shots and not playing enough short and intermediate stuff. I think they’ll have a bevy of plays ready for the playoffs.

New World Order
12-31-2020, 05:10 PM
That guy should be writing every NFL article for SI

mkp785
12-31-2020, 05:13 PM
Everyone is looking for reasons to believe the Chiefs aren’t going back-to-back. That’s all it means.

This. They're trying to build drama into the playoffs. When the only even remote competition for us lies in the Superbowl, and that really depends on who makes it out of the NFC.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-31-2020, 05:20 PM
The one thing scaring the shit out of me at this point is COVID scenarios. And we saw it today with Fitzpatrick, the Browns.

I don’t want any team to lose players from it in the playoffs, let alone the Chiefs. It would just totally suck ass.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 05:47 PM
Saw the title and was hoping it was long-form, talking to players/coaches/front office about how they've been planning to "run it back" since LIV ended, how difficult things have been on the field and front office due to COVID, etc.

Instead, we get a puff piece that damn near anyone here could have done better.

It's basically Fan Fiction. And quotes like these shouldn't be allowed in print on a website such as SI, but they need clicks, too.

The Chiefs have no competition. Everyone knows it.

:facepalm:

Even the best sportswriters today are disappearing because there's just no money in it due to online piracy and the fact that nearly every sports magazine has been dying a slow death for nearly a decade.

So instead, sports websites, even Sports Illustrated, allows fans to write for their website for 1 penny a word because they'll at least garner some hits.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 05:48 PM
SI is trying to be like the Athletic. Trying to get beat writers for every team but not paying shit. So you get who will work for free or near free.

They're allowing anyone that can put two paragraphs together to "write" for clicks.

The Athletic, on the other hand, started out with the best sportwriters of the day but even they're struggling to pay the top writers, many of whom have already left.

tredadda
12-31-2020, 06:11 PM
He does have a point. People are knocking KC because they don't blow other teams out. The SB hangover is a real thing for most teams. This one has lost once all year after winning the SB. Its not like they did it against the NFC Least either. They beat NO (who up until a couple of weeks ago was the #1 seed in the NFC) and a loaded TB team (both on the road). They also knocked off Buffalo (the #2 seed in the AFC) and Miami (who should make the playoffs) also on the road. Finally they knocked off the Ravens, on the road as well. This team was a few questionable calls against the Raiders from being undefeated. What this team is doing is unprecedented and if the best argument people have against them is strength of victory then I am fine with that.

They do get bored against lesser teams, but the reality is they play differently against top tier teams and remind everyone who is the defending SB Champs.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2020, 06:12 PM
They're allowing anyone that can put two paragraphs together to "write" for clicks.

The small sites started doing this years ago and now the big boys are playing copycat.

The talent is spread extremely thin at this point. Quality suffers.

Megatron96
12-31-2020, 06:16 PM
Regardless of who wrote the piece, he's not really wrong.

This whole season I've felt a kind of inevitability about the Chiefs. Even in the week 5 Raiders game, I thought we were going to win the whole game. And even after the loss, I wasn't terribly concerned about it.

I can honestly say that I've never been more confident in the Chiefs to win every game, and ultimately to win it all in Feb.

And even if they don't win another Ring this season, I have every confidence that they will the following season. And several more times after that.

The Chiefs are a 2-mile long freight train approaching cruising speed. Essentially unstoppable, unless they stop themselves.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 06:28 PM
Regardless of who wrote the piece, he's not really wrong

That's because you're a fan.

His writing is fan fiction nonsense. There's absolutely no way any respected football writer that's a member of the PFWAA would write something as stupid as this nonsense.

It's utterly fucking ridiculous.

The Chiefs have no competition. Everyone knows it. The comparison to the '90s Chicago Bulls and 2010s Golden State Warriors are already tired. They could kneel the ball every play until the fourth quarter and still put up 31. They have no peers. It's the Chiefs, about a galaxy of empty space, and then everyone else.

That’s not just this year; it’s the next 15 years.

That is just epic dumbassery. Again, it's freaking Fan Fiction.

Megatron96
12-31-2020, 06:32 PM
That's because you're a fan.

His writing is fan fiction nonsense. There's absolutely no way any respected football writer that's a member of the PFWAA would write somethin as stupid as this nonsense.

It's utterly fucking ridiculous.

Well yeah, that bit is over the top.

I just was referring to the feeling of inevitability. Not his extensive use of hyperbole.

Basically, it feels like an op-ed piece (as opposed to analysis), and the guys that write those can pretty much write whatever they want. It's like writing a piece about how much one believes that blue-green is the best color for shoes.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Well yeah, that bit is over the top.

A bit?

LMAO

This is like Arrowhead Pride commenters, not an actual, real-life journalist.

Basically, it feels like an op-ed piece (as opposed to analysis), and the guys that write those can pretty much write whatever they want. It's like writing a piece about how much one believes that blue-green is the best color for shoes.

It's written by a Chiefs Homer for Chiefs Homers. It's completely unrealistic and very poorly written. It's why he's being paid a penny a word.

Again, it's Fan Fiction.

KCChiefsFan88
12-31-2020, 06:38 PM
It’s no worse than the regular garbage written by “professional” journalists such as Adam Teicher or Brooke Pryor.

stevieray
12-31-2020, 06:41 PM
It's pretty much harmless.

njchiefs
12-31-2020, 06:46 PM
Vegas knows. Check the latest Super Bowl odds. Nobody else knows.

Easy 6
12-31-2020, 06:47 PM
A bit?

LMAO

It's written by a Chiefs Homer for Chiefs Homers. It's completely unrealistic and very poorly written. It's why he's being paid a penny a word.

Again, it's Fan Fiction.

You're waaay too upset about this, man

It wasn't exactly what I was expecting from SI either, but it was good for the humor if nothing else... dude just got a major boost to his resume, good for him

Deberg_1990
12-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Feels like something Clayton Wendler would write.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Feels like something Clayton Wendler would write.

Clay's a better writer than this bozo

carcosa
12-31-2020, 06:50 PM
I am very angry that somebody wrote something about how good my favorite football team is!!!!!!!

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 06:50 PM
You're waaay too upset about this, man

It wasn't exactly what I was expecting from SI either, but it was good for the humor if nothing else... dude just got a major boost to his resume, good for him

I'm not upset about it at all. But as a former sportwriter in my early days, what passes as "sports journalism" these days is horrifying.

These magazines don't give a shit about the quality of their content. All they care about it clicks.

Jim Murray is rolling over in his grave.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2020, 06:52 PM
Clay's a better writer than this bozo

I was writing better trash than this at WPI 15 years ago.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 06:52 PM

Exactly

Megatron96
12-31-2020, 06:53 PM
A bit?

LMAO

Again, it's Fan Fiction.

You really want to argue about this piece? Just need to mix it up right now or what?

It's an opinion piece. Take it for what it is, or don't. Not going to spar with you over some random guy's feelings.

Oh, and Happy New Year, Dane. Have a drink or something.

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 06:56 PM
You really want to argue about this piece? Just need to mix it up right now or what?

It's an opinion piece. Take it for what it is, or don't. Not going to spar with you over some random guy's feelings.

Oh, and Happy New Year, Dane. Have a drink or something.

I'm not arguing about anything.

There used to be a time on Chiefsplanet where we'd laugh about shitty pieces like this on Arrowhead Pride or Chiefs Coalition and so forth. There used to be some pretty damn good writers on this site as well.

I guess that time has passed because more people seem to be happy reading this kind of schlock than well written sports journalism.

tk13
12-31-2020, 06:58 PM
Putting the "SI" in front of this is probably disingenuous. This is basically like a message board post that someone published in a blog. We should be the favorites to win, but to post this after we could barely beat the Falcons looks dumb. Especially when we're living in a pandemic that could hit any of these playoff teams and force them to miss key players in any playoff game.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-31-2020, 07:06 PM
Same here.

This is a fan post.

Dante?

htismaqe
12-31-2020, 07:14 PM

There used to be a time on Chiefsplanet where we'd laugh about shitty pieces like this on Arrowhead Pride or Chiefs Coalition and so forth. There used to be some pretty damn good writers on this site as well.

I guess that time has passed because more people seem to be happy reading this kind of schlock than well written sports journalism.

Even the best publications are pretty much crap anymore. Sports “journalism” is a lost art.

Frazod
12-31-2020, 07:17 PM
Even the best publications are pretty much crap anymore. Sports “journalism” is a lost art.

All journalism is a lost art.

Megatron96
12-31-2020, 07:26 PM

Okay, fine then.

I'm not holding it up as some kind of great piece either. I just don't care what some random guy thinks. Is he a little too bombastic? Yeah, which makes it funny. But I don't care enough about this piece to get excited about it either. Maybe it's the scotch.

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 07:32 PM

The Athletic, on the other hand, started out with the best sportwriters of the day but even they're struggling to pay the top writers, many of whom have already left.
I’ve been paying my $2 a month since it was born. It’s essential. I don’t want to read bloggers for my in depth insight into my teams.

Bearcat
12-31-2020, 07:35 PM
Okay, fine then.

I'm not holding it up as some kind of great piece either. I just don't care what some random guy thinks. Is he a little too bombastic? Yeah, which makes it funny. But I don't care enough about this piece to get excited about it either. Maybe it's the scotch.

Yeah, I appreciate it for what it is, which is arguing the whole "they aren't winning by enough!" schtick that leads to people believing the Bills and other teams are the next AFC SB representative because they hold all the momentums.

"No competition"/"rest of the AFC has not shot" is bombastic as you say. It's far better than anyone you'd listen to on major sports radio/TV because it goes against their dumb narratives, but it's of course not deep diving into anything or really making you think, either.

Someone here could have posted it and it would have gotten a thumbs up.

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 07:36 PM
Putting the "SI" in front of this is probably disingenuous.I found it in my feed. An SI tweet from a SI account. WTF would you call it then?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2020, 07:43 PM

Whatever happened to WPI and Athan?

KCChiefsFan88
12-31-2020, 07:51 PM
I found it in my feed. An SI tweet from a SI account. WTF would you call it then?

It’s part of Fannation which is part of SI.

Not sure why people are getting so triggered by it... it’s not as if it was a virtual lynching as “professional” journalist Brooke Pryor attempted to do to Tyreek.

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 07:54 PM
Whatever happened to WPI and Athan?he lives about 30 minutes from me. New wife. Baby. Works in business. Writes part time.

DaFace
12-31-2020, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I appreciate it for what it is, which is arguing the whole "they aren't winning by enough!" schtick that leads to people believing the Bills and other teams are the next AFC SB representative because they hold all the momentums.

"No competition"/"rest of the AFC has not shot" is bombastic as you say. It's far better than anyone you'd listen to on major sports radio/TV because it goes against their dumb narratives, but it's of course not deep diving into anything or really making you think, either.

Someone here could have posted it and it would have gotten a thumbs up.I think the dissonance is the source. It's fine for a fan post on Arrowhead Pride. Pretty weak for what I used to believe Sports Illustrated was, though.

diqlix
12-31-2020, 07:59 PM
“ Turning to the 2020 playoffs, the Bills or Tennessee Titans on their absolute most flawless days will beat the Chiefs on their absolute worst day.”

That’s a step further than some posters will admit at least:)

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 07:59 PM
I think the dissonance is the source. It's fine for a fan post on Arrowhead Pride. Pretty weak for what I used to believe Sports Illustrated was, though.bearcats post about why we don’t beat down inferior teams was way more illuminating than any other reason I’ve read by the professionals.

KCChiefsFan88
12-31-2020, 08:03 PM
“ Turning to the 2020 playoffs, the Bills or Tennessee Titans on their absolute most flawless days will beat the Chiefs on their absolute worst day.”

That’s a step further than some posters will admit at least:)

Tennessee played the perfect first half in the AFC Championship Game last year... and they still trailed at the half and ended up losing the game by double digits.

diqlix
12-31-2020, 08:03 PM
bearcats post about why we don’t beat down inferior teams was way more illuminating than any other reason I’ve read by the professionals.

I like Bearcat but the homerism shines through brightly when he talks about how the Chiefs don’t give their all to win regular season games.

diqlix
12-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Tennessee played the perfect first half in the AFC Championship Game last year... and they still trailed at the half and ended up losing the game by double digits.

Yeah I don’t think the Titans would beat the Chiefs.

Halfcan
12-31-2020, 08:04 PM
The last SI article I read about the Chiefs- was a total hit piece on how our stupid fans were ignoring Covid protocols at the stadium. It was a total lie and put out as confirmed.

Pablo
12-31-2020, 08:05 PM
he lives about 30 minutes from me. New wife. Baby. Works in business. Writes part time.

Does he work at computer in business?

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 08:05 PM
I like Bearcat but the homerism shines through brightly when he talks about how the Chiefs don’t give their all to win regular season games.
Wellll duh. Is he trying to pass himself as the Edward R. Murrow of sports journalism? It was a random post in a thread 60+ pages long already.

Bearcat
12-31-2020, 08:10 PM

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="4713624" data-share-method="host" data-width="40%" data-aspect-ratio="1.0"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/simpsons-crown-gif-4713624">King Homer GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/simpsons-gifs">Simpsons GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

diqlix
12-31-2020, 08:10 PM
Wellll duh. Is he trying to pass himself as the Edward R. Murrow of sports journalism? It was a random post in a thread 60+ pages long already.

True.

RaidersOftheCellar
12-31-2020, 08:14 PM
Little over the top, but I dig it.

Bearcat
12-31-2020, 08:15 PM
I think the dissonance is the source. It's fine for a fan post on Arrowhead Pride. Pretty weak for what I used to believe Sports Illustrated was, though.

True... I also get my most in-depth NFL stuff from youtube, so there's that, heh.

New World Order
12-31-2020, 08:21 PM

There's no homerism when your team is 14-1 and the defending SB champs

BigRedChief
12-31-2020, 08:27 PM
Does he work at computer in business?he did till he got promoted to head honcho.

Skyy God
12-31-2020, 08:34 PM
That’s some quality neckbeard non-journalistic clickbait.

diqlix
12-31-2020, 08:36 PM
That’s some quality neckbeard non-journalistic clickbait.

Literally laughed out loud.

jerryaldini
12-31-2020, 09:01 PM
Somebody should post it on the Mane and Patriots boards anyway. I would've called it the inevitability of Mahomes. There's truth to that for sure. Much like Jordan, no one has ever seen anything like it, and likely won't for a long time to come.

Chiefshrink
12-31-2020, 09:59 PM
Somebody should post it on the Mane and Patriots boards anyway. I would've called it the inevitability of Mahomes. There's truth to that for sure. Much like Jordan, no one has ever seen anything like it, and likely won't for a long time to come.

I thoroughly understand and agree with your point. But Pat has been getting the crap kicked out of him of late and starting to get happy feet which means he is starting to not trust his interior line, rushing passes even easy passes that are inaccurate and beginning to throw more interceptions over time. After the NO game which that one particular sandwich tackle sack really shook him up and you could see it on the sideline. He is a tough kid both mentally, emotionally and physically. But you can only take so much. Let's hope his psyche has short term memory because he has experienced a rough stretch here.

htismaqe
12-31-2020, 11:25 PM
I thoroughly understand and agree with your point. But Pat has been getting the crap kicked out of him of late and starting to get happy feet which means he is starting to not trust his interior line, rushing passes even easy passes that are inaccurate and beginning to throw more interceptions over time. After the NO game which that one particular sandwich tackle sack really shook him up and you could see it on the sideline. He is a tough kid both mentally, emotionally and physically. But you can only take so much. Let's hope his psyche has short term memory because he has experienced a rough stretch here.

He’s been running around the way he always does. He’s been missing throws that he normally doesn’t miss. It’s not just the line, there’s way more to it than that.

TEX
12-31-2020, 11:26 PM

Why? Pats and Donks are irrelevant and their fans know it. They also know that KC will bitch slap them for years to come. No type of validation is needed from them.

Halfcan
12-31-2020, 11:27 PM

Mahomes came in right after that when we got a turnover, then led us down the field for a scoring drive. I think his psyche is fine.

Raiderhater
01-01-2021, 12:13 AM
Anyone who says the Chiefs are inevitable clearly has never read a CP game day thread.

BigRedChief
01-01-2021, 09:36 AM
He’s been running around the way he always does. He’s been missing throws that he normally doesn’t miss. It’s not just the line, there’s way more to it than that.Yep, somethings up. He just doesn't make mistakes like that. No idea what, but its definitely not normal.

O.city
01-01-2021, 09:38 AM
https://twitter.com/nfl_dougfarrar/status/1345022445359546368?s=21

He’s been under a fuck load of pressure the last three weeks. It takes a toll

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 09:41 AM
https://twitter.com/nfl_dougfarrar/status/1345022445359546368?s=21

He’s been under a fuck load of pressure the last three weeks. It takes a toll

He played on of his better games against New Orleans, who applied a fuck load of pressure.

Blaming it all on the line is a cop out. It isn’t that simple.

O.city
01-01-2021, 09:44 AM
He played on of his better games against New Orleans, who applied a **** load of pressure.

Blaming it all on the line is a cop out. It isn’t that simple.

He threw for 3 tds but it was a low completion percentage low QBR game. Under the pressure he was under it was fine but it wasn’t close to one of his better games

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2021, 10:27 AM
The good news is the Chiefs defense is starting to win games for us. As awesome as our offense was in last year's playoffs, defense played an equal part in our success. Who knows... Maybe we'll look back at our late season offense "slump" and be thankful that it woke up the defense. Mahomes injury last year was when our D turned things around.

But in order for us to stop winning ugly our offense needs to clean up some stuff. Our OL is what it is. But our short passing game absolutely must get cleaned up. We've got 3 weeks to focus on that. Because if our offense gets back in sync with the D playing like they are now... Holy shit, look out.

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2021, 10:30 AM
Mahomes came in right after that when we got a turnover, then led us down the field for a scoring drive. I think his psyche is fine.

His psyche on short passes is not fine. He isn't afraid of getting hit. That's not the main issue. Hes become tentative to throw passes he fears will get tipped.

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 10:31 AM
His psyche on short passes is not fine. He isn't afraid of getting hit. That's not the main issue. Hes become tentative to throw passes he fears will get tipped.

Yep. They’re forcing the ball deep even when they don’t have to. The short stuff isn’t working and it’s not the line. His throws aren’t even on target much of the time.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2021, 10:47 AM
Yep. They’re forcing the ball deep even when they don’t have to. The short stuff isn’t working and it’s not the line. His throws aren’t even on target much of the time.

Actually it is the OL is getting bullied and being pushed back on their heels and allowing the passrushers hands to get their hands up to swat and block the pass.

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 10:53 AM
Actually it is the OL is getting bullied and being pushed back on their heels and allowing the passrushers hands to get their hands up to swat and block the pass.

He missed two screen passes against Atlanta and it wasn’t the line. There more to it than just the line.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2021, 10:56 AM
He missed two screen passes against Atlanta and it wasn’t the line. There more to it than just the line.

One of those screen passes was cross body with a defender in his face. Le'veon quit on the play in question too

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 11:17 AM
One of those screen passes was cross body with a defender in his face. Le'veon quit on the play in question too

One of them wasn’t even catchable. Can’t blame that on anybody but Mahomes.

Again, not saying the line isn’t the problem but it isn’t the only problem.

In fact, people better hope it’s not the only problem because it isn’t getting fixed at this point. Play calling can be fixed, schemes can be adjusted. This line is what it is until the offseason because Schwartz isn’t coming back.

Mecca
01-01-2021, 11:20 AM

In fact, people better hope it’s not the only problem because it isn’t getting fixed at this point. Play calling can be fixed, schemes can be adjusted. This line is what it is until the offseason because Schwartz isn’t coming back.

You mean this year or you think he calls it quits.

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 11:48 AM
You mean this year or you think he calls it quits.

This year.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2021, 12:07 PM

I'll say this Patrick has earned the benefit of the doubt, because look at the different variables he had to adapt which includes as you mentioned backup OL , a depleted running game, and honestly complacency on the team.

Mahomes is the least of our problems especially when he activates GOD MODE.

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 12:11 PM
I'll say this Patrick has earned the benefit of the doubt, because look at the different variables he had to adapt which includes as you mentioned backup OL , a depleted running game, and honestly complacency on the team.

Mahomes is the least of our problems especially when he activates GOD MODE.

Not saying we should roast him. Just saying that there’s plenty of reasons they’re struggling and it’s not all on the o-line. If it is all just the line, we are probably fucked at this point in the season so we better hope it isn’t.

Halfcan
01-01-2021, 03:02 PM

Because of one game against the Falcons? I think everyone is overreacting.

Mahomes will be rested up from that beating in New Orleans and dominate.

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2021, 03:12 PM
Because of one game against the Falcons? I think everyone is overreacting.

Mahomes will be rested up from that beating in New Orleans and dominate.

One game? Mahomes had a bajillion tipped passes in Denver then a couple of tips vs Miami. It's been a problem way beyond atl. Mahomes is inaccurate in the short game because he is understandably worried about getting passes knocked down. I trust Reid to fix it but it's definitely not an overreaction. Defenses made an adjustment to us and we need to adjust back.

stevieray
01-01-2021, 05:42 PM
It's been a problem way beyond atl. Mahomes is inaccurate in the short game because he is understandably worried about getting passes knocked down. .

Nah, he's got the touch of a surgeon, IMO.

Our problems start and end with the patchwork Oline.

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 05:43 PM

Except they don’t. There’s a play calling issue. There’s timing issues. The line has been patchwork all season. These issues just started about 6 weeks ago.

DaneMcCloud
01-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Except they don’t. There’s a play calling issue. There’s timing issues. The line has been patchwork all season. These issues just started about 6 weeks ago.

The line was patchworked last year, too, same as 2018.

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2021, 06:11 PM

Not recently. I have confidence he'll fix it. But right now he looks like he's overcompensating on his passing windows. He's sailing more of his short passes than we're used to ever since he started getting passes tipped. Part of that is pmIII needs to regain confidence in his OL but he could also help himself by improving his footwork and touch on the short stuff.

stevieray
01-01-2021, 06:16 PM

eh, he's dropping too far back.

These issues still managed to produce HFA.

They are well aware of what needs to be worked on.

I think the CEH injury is huge.

stevieray
01-01-2021, 06:17 PM
touch on the short stuff.

I just don't see that as a problem.

Easy 6
01-01-2021, 06:24 PM
I just don't see that as a problem.

Me neither, I'm absolutely convinced he was nursing some very sore ribs last week courtesy of the Saints... he'll be good as new after all this rest IMO

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 07:10 PM
eh, he's dropping too far back.

These issues still managed to produce HFA.

They are well aware of what needs to be worked on.

I think the CEH injury is huge.

Yeah, I’m not saying it’s a game breaking problem. I just don’t agree that it’s all on the o-line. There’s a lot more going on that just bad line pay. In fact, your last sentence is one. ;)