PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Paul Westphal, dead at 70, RIP

HemiEd
01-03-2021, 05:38 AM
I heard this on the radio yesterday, while working out in the shop. It caused me pause, as his was a name you heard often back in the day.

(AP) - Paul Westphal, a Hall of Fame player who won a championship with the Boston Celtics in 1974 and later coached in the league and in college, died Saturday. He was 70.

He died in Scottsdale, Arizona, according to a statement from Southern California, where Westphal starred in college. He was diagnosed with brain cancer last August.

A five-time All-Star guard, Westphal played in the NBA from 1972-84. After winning a championship with the Celtics, he made the finals in 1976 with Phoenix, where he was a key part of one of the most riveting games in league history. He also played for Seattle and the New York Knicks.

He averaged 15.6 points, 4.4 assists and 1.9 rebounds during his career.

After his playing career ended, Westphal moved into coaching. He led the Suns to the NBA Finals in 1993, and also was head coach of Seattle and Sacramento. He had stints as an assistant with Dallas and Brooklyn.

“There may be just a handful of people who have as much influence and significance on the history of the Phoenix Suns,” former team owner Jerry Colangelo said. “All he accomplished as a player and as a coach. Off the court, he was a gentleman, a family man, great moral character. He represented the Suns the way you want every player to represent your franchise.”

At the college level, Westphal coached at Southwestern Baptist Bible College (now Arizona Christian University), Grand Canyon and Pepperdine.

https://www.wect.com/2021/01/02/paul-westphal-hall-famer-nba-champion-dies/

Scooter LaCanforno
01-03-2021, 06:52 AM
RIP. Great Player who I watched when he was with the Knicks and Celtics.

MVChiefFan
01-03-2021, 08:16 AM
As a Suns fan, Westy meant a lot. Sad day. RIP

siberian khatru
01-03-2021, 08:47 AM
I was a big Westphal fan in my yute. Remember watching Game 5 of the 76 Finals with my dad. RIP.

scho63
01-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Good player and I always equated him with the Suns. Totally forgot his time with the Celtics.

RIP to another one of my sports generation

raidersnumber1
01-03-2021, 10:36 AM
he was good guy. RIP.

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2021, 12:40 PM
Seems way too young. Always remember him with the Suns.