PDA

View Full Version : Football Dolphins GM says Tua is QB for 2021

pugsnotdrugs19
01-05-2021, 02:20 PM
https://twitter.com/armandosalguero/status/1346547052768075779?s=21

Chris Grier says Tua Tagovailoa is the Dolphins 2021 QB.

Despite having the #3 pick... the plan appears to be trying to help Tua out.

Love this because this team could be really good if they get the QB right, and I don’t think Tua is it.

staylor26
01-05-2021, 02:21 PM
They’ll draft Sewell, Chase, or Smith unless they trade down.

I still think Tua can be a great game manager, so if they continue to build around him and get that defense playing at an elite level, they could still be a damn good team.

Imagine them getting one of those 3 and Najee Harris...

louie aguiar
01-05-2021, 02:27 PM
If they drafted Herbert instead of Tua, they would be looking great. I haven't been impressed with Tua, I don't think he'll amount to much. I also thought the same of Josh Allen, though.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Of course he is. The question is if they go the Blake bortles and Trubisky route and do zero to bring qb competition. They should have enough reason for concern that they consider aggressively drafting for a qb in 2021. Fitzmagic doesn't do that. He is a bandaid if Tua doesn't work out, as we quickly learned with nick foles.

Mecca
01-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Louis Riddick was on ESPN today basically ripping the shit out of people for saying the Dolphins should draft a QB and "The expectations people have for young QBs is ridiculous"

Sassy Squatch

I still think Tua can be a great game manager, so if they continue to build around him and get that defense playing at an elite level, they could still be a damn good team.

Would you go with Smith over Chase for the familiarity Smith already has with Tua even if you viewed Chase as a slightly better prospect?

Think Sewell is their best bet if he's available, FTR

Megatron96
Probably it's the right move. At least it's a high-percentage move. Can't chase QBs in every draft. At some point you have to play the cards you're dealt.

And Tua could become a good QB. He might just need to adjust to the speed of the NFL, kind of like how Andrew Luck did. No, I'm not saying the kid will be the next Andrew Luck. But he could see a similar trajectory in his development. It took about three seasons, iirc, for Luck to really be comfortable with the speed of NFL defenses, and begin to become the QB that everyone thought he could be. Even then Luck never was the Manning 2.0 a lot of people assumed he would be. But he did become a very good QB.

Tua could still become a solid QB. They kind of have to give him an entire season at least to prove himself.

ModSocks
If they drafted Herbert instead of Tua, they would be looking great. I haven't been impressed with Tua, I don't think he'll amount to much. I also thought the same of Josh Allen, though.

Most of the NFL world thought Tua was better than Herbert. I bet Dolphins fans certainly did.

Fug 'em. I never felt bad for the Bears for drafting Trubisky either.

FloridaMan88
01-05-2021, 02:31 PM
The excuse that Tua doesn't have enough talent around him on offense to look better than a mediocre game manager is interesting when Ryan Fitzpatrick was able to generate a more explosive downfield passing game with the same personnel.

RunKC
01-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Yeah I have a feeling the Dolphins will regret draft Tua over Herbert. They would have been scary with Herbert and their core players right now.

ModSocks
01-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Probably it's the right move. At least it's a high-percentage move. Can't chase QBs in every draft. At some point you have to play the cards you're dealt.

And Tua could become a good QB. He might just need to adjust to the speed of the NFL, kind of like how Andrew Luck did. No, I'm not saying the kid will be the next Andrew Luck. But he could see a similar trajectory in his development. It took about three seasons, iirc, for Luck to really be comfortable with the speed of NFL defenses, and begin to become the QB that everyone thought he could be. Even then Luck never was the Manning 2.0 a lot of people assumed he would be. But he did become a very good QB.

Tua could still become a solid QB. They kind of have to give him an entire season at least to prove himself.

Tua's ceiling is Alex Smith imo. Assuming he stays healthy enough to be a check-down game manager.

MahomesMagic
01-05-2021, 02:33 PM

Herbert was a physical tools QB, Tua was a more cerebral college QB.

The physical tools show up first in the NFL.

Tua should not have even been playing this year. He will be fine.

And Fields is not the answer.

staylor26
01-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Would you go with Smith over Chase for the familiarity Smith already has with Tua even if you viewed Chase as a slightly better prospect?

Think Sewell is their best bet if he's available, FTR

I could see it, but I think I’d personally go Chase.

Seeing how good Jefferson is, and thinking how much better Chase was than him in 2019, it’s easy not to forget just how good of a prospect Chase is/was for me.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either guy though.

But Sewell would still be #1 on my board either way. They could move Jackson over to RT and slide Hunt inside. You probably get better at 3 positions with that pick while having up to 4 starters on the OL within the first 2 years of their rookie deals.

Then add Harris or Etienne and you’ve really got something.

InChiefsHeaven
01-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Of course he is. The question is if they go the Blake bortles and Trubisky route and do zero to bring qb competition. They should have enough reason for concern that they consider aggressively drafting for a qb in 2021. Fitzmagic doesn't do that. He is a bandaid if Tua doesn't work out, as we quickly learned with nick foles.

They should bring in that dude from Philly that started the 4th quarter against the WFT...that would boost Tua's confidence!

ModSocks
01-05-2021, 02:35 PM

Lol, horse shit. There was nothing cerebral about Tua.

And people proclaimed that Herbert was a noodle arm, inaccurate QB with no leadership qualities.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2021, 02:36 PM
What a disastrous decision. Tua won't amount to shit

TribalElder
Tua sucks

he showed up in a dress like a bitch and couldn't win without his dad (fitzmagic) there to support him

CasselGotPeedOn

Might as well draft all of his Bama buds and try to recreate what he did in college

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2021, 02:38 PM
I could see it, but I think I’d personally go Chase.

Seeing how good Jefferson is, and thinking how much better Chase was than him in 2019, it’s easy not to forget just how good of a prospect Chase is/was for me.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either guy though.

But Sewell would still be #1 on my board either way. They could move Jackson over to RT and slide Hunt inside. You probably get better at 3 positions with that pick while having up to 4 starters on the OL within the first 2 years of their rookie deals.

Other than not having a QB and they will continue to be Buffalo's bitch

notorious
01-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Tua has a Chad Pennington arm.

Don't know how far that's going to take him.

Sassy Squatch
01-05-2021, 02:40 PM
The Dolphins should hire Galu Tagovailoa to whip their young QB into shape.

staylor26
01-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Other than not having a QB and they will continue to be Buffalo's bitch

That will absolutely be their weakness and probably keep them from winning a SB.

But if they build a great team around Tua and he can at least be a game manager, they could still be a really good football team.

MahomesMagic
01-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Lol, horse shit. There was nothing cerebral about Tua.

And people proclaimed that Herbert was a noodle arm, inaccurate QB with no leadership qualities.

I get it that the NFL is all about instant gratification. You shouldn't write a QB off in their rookie year. BTW, I never thought Miami should have handed Tua the starting job. He is not as ready as Fitz.

Lots of rookies would look bad compared to Fitz because Fitz is a good, seasoned NFL QB.

What I see with Tua is a guy who is just a touch behind and the NFL is a little bit fast for him. When it slows down, which it will, I think people who said he's a bust will look silly.

Speaking of the AFC East, Tua is WAY ahead of where Allen was Year 1 in the NFL.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2021, 02:44 PM
Tua has a Chad Pennington arm.

Don't know how far that's going to take him.

Pennington was the master of the 9-10 win season.

And getting hurt.....

Megatron96
01-05-2021, 02:45 PM
Tua's ceiling is Alex Smith imo. Assuming he stays healthy enough to be a check-down game manager.

Okay, let's go with that. Alex Smith is a winner. He's won 99-168 games, has all respectable QB stats, and if not for a couple really weird circumstances, he'd have a few more playoff wins. If he has a really critical weakness to his game, it's his reluctance to air it out, right? He's too conservative many times.

But what if Tua is basically the same QB, but is willing to go downfield say . . . 25% more often? Basically you're talking about Joe Montana Lite. Except Tua will be able to run a little, like Alex could in his early years.

My point is just that it's too early to know exactly what they've got in Tua. Too early to just go after another QB anyway. He might not have some of the physical metrics, but if he's really as cerebral as everyone thought he was, then maybe the game he should be emulating is Alex Smith with a touch of Montana thrown in. That could work.

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Louis Riddick was on ESPN today basically ripping the shit out of people for saying the Dolphins should draft a QB and "The expectations people have for young QBs is ridiculous"

He's absolutely right.

ModSocks
01-05-2021, 02:47 PM
I get it that the NFL is all about instant gratification. You shouldn't write a QB off in their rookie year. BTW, I never thought Miami should have handed Tua the starting job. He is not as ready as Fitz.

Lots of rookies would look bad compared to Fitz because Fitz is a good, seasoned NFL QB.

What I see with Tua is a guy who is just a touch behind and the NFL is a little bit fast for him. When it slows down, which it will, I think people who said he's a bust will look silly.

Speaking of the AFC East, Tua is WAY ahead of where Allen was Year 1 in the NFL.

Depends on what you consider a bust. I think Tua will have a 10 year career assuming he stays healthy. I just don't think he ever develops into your prototypical franchise QB. He'll be in that Teddy Bridgwater tier of QB's. Imo.

ModSocks
01-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Okay, let's go with that. Alex Smith is a winner. He's won 99-168 games, has all respectable QB stats, and if not for a couple really weird circumstances, he'd have a few more playoff wins. If he has a really critical weakness to his game, it's his reluctance to air it out, right? He's too conservative many times.

But what if Tua is basically the same QB, but is willing to go downfield say . . . 25% more often? Basically you're talking about Joe Montana Lite. Except Tua will be able to run a little, like Alex could in his early years.

My point is just that it's too early to know exactly what they've got in Tua. Too early to just go after another QB anyway. He might not have some of the physical metrics, but if he's really as cerebral as everyone thought he was, then maybe the game he should be emulating is Alex Smith with a touch of Montana thrown in. That could work.

I agree that it's too early to draft another QB. Tua showed enough to cock tease you. I just don't think he's any good under pressure and can't throw into tight windows. He's reluctant, almost gun shy. Kinda robotic like a Daniel Jones. He doesn't exude god-given talent like some of these other guys. He's going to have to work really fucking hard at it, and i think he WILL, as he seems like a hard working, high character guy. But his ceiling will always be limited by his talent. That's my 2-cents at least.

I see him as a capable NFL QB at leading a low-powered offense with a focus on not turning the ball over and playing defense. I don't see him as ever being "the man".

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2021, 02:53 PM
He's absolutely right.

But Tua sucks, so....

ModSocks
01-05-2021, 02:54 PM
He's absolutely right.

Expectations have changed. Too many QB's coming out of the draft now and finding early success.

MahomesMagic
01-05-2021, 02:55 PM
Depends on what you consider a bust. I think Tua will have a 10 year career assuming he stays healthy. I just don't think he ever develops into your prototypical franchise QB. He'll be in that Teddy Bridgwater tier of QB's. Imo.

Ok. I think he will be better than Goff and Dak Prescott, IF he stays healthy. My biggest worry on him was the injuries and just getting through the season behind Miami's young OL.

The downside to Tua is you need to invest more in OL than your average top college prospect.

He should not have played this year, IMO.

Baby Lee
01-05-2021, 02:56 PM

The expectations for young QBs OVERALL have been skewed by Mahomes, and to a lesser extent Allen and Herbert.

That doesn't make Tua any better, though. He's right and wrong. Very few QBs are Mahomesian, . . . some would say singular. But many QBs are still superior to Tua. Something may click for him at some point, but he's not on a trajectory for franchise quality.

Baby Lee
01-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Ok. I think he will be better than Goff and Dak Prescott, IF he stays healthy. My biggest worry on him was the injuries and just getting through the season behind Miami's young OL.

The downside to Tua is you need to invest more in OL than your average top college prospect.

He should not have played this year, IMO.

That's an apt slotting, I'd only alter that he's better than Goff but not as good as Dak. 18-22 range of rank among 32 starters. Competent to be a safe choice for a good team, but not necessarily something you would invest all your eggs in no matter what, . . but also not something you are in desperation mode to replace no matter what either, . . . dare I say Alexian, as is the parlance hereabouts?

Deberg_1990
01-05-2021, 03:02 PM
If I were a Miami fan, I definitely would be worried and a little upset that they could have had Herbert.

Megatron96
01-05-2021, 03:04 PM
I agree that it's too early to draft another QB. Tua showed enough to cock tease you. I just don't think he's any good under pressure and can't throw into tight windows. He's reluctant, almost gun shy. Kinda robotic like a Daniel Jones. He doesn't exude god-given talent like some of these other guys. He's going to have to work really fucking hard at it, and i think he WILL, as he seems like a hard working, high character guy. But his ceiling will always be limited by his talent. That's my 2-cents at least.

I see him as a capable NFL QB at leading a low-powered offense with a focus on not turning the ball over and playing defense. I don't see him as ever being "the man".

Mostly I agree.

However, let's remember that he didn't get a real preseason, no preseason games, etc. And he was coming back from a very serious injury. Heck, he might not have been 100% when they started him. He broke his hip, fcs. Anyway, both things might have contributed to how he played this season.

I think they have to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him at least another season or two to show something. Heck, he probably shouldn't have started this season, based on what we saw. Which again is hardly his fault. But he was never going to jump into this season and be super successful. he simply doesn't have the big arm or whatever to do that.

MahomesMagic
01-05-2021, 03:05 PM
That's an apt slotting, I'd only alter that he's better than Goff but not as good as Dak. 18-22 range of rank among 32 starters. Competent to be a safe choice for a good team, but not necessarily something you would invest all your eggs in no matter what, . . but also not something you are in desperation mode to replace no matter what either, . . . dare I say Alexian, as is the parlance hereabouts?

Goff gets 30 million a year. He wins games.

Yes, from our (KC) standpoint that isn't that exciting but there is a reason NFL teams pay Goff, pay Dak. You don't just grab anyone off the shelf as a replacement.

MahiMike
01-05-2021, 03:09 PM
As soon as the new contract went into place where they control the pay by slot and position, I said teams should draft a QB in 1st round each year.

Why not keep trying till you get your franchise QB.

Baby Lee
01-05-2021, 03:14 PM
Goff gets 30 million a year. He wins games.

Yes, from our (KC) standpoint that isn't that exciting but there is a reason NFL teams pay Goff, pay Dak. You don't just grab anyone off the shelf as a replacement.

What exactly do you think you're disagreeing with me on here?

Unless I'm misreading and you're simply echoing and amplifying.

I agree, he's not exciting but he's not a disaster. About at the level where you keep alert for the opportunity to improve, but don't panic for a quick replacement.

htismaqe
01-05-2021, 03:14 PM

Alex could make all the throws. His biggest problem was mental - not wanting to push the ball downfield.

Tua's boundary throws are terrible. He's like Lamar Jackson without the running ability. Over the middle he's fine but force him to throw outside and he's just not good.

Marcellus
01-05-2021, 03:21 PM
As soon as the new contract went into place where they control the pay by slot and position, I said teams should draft a QB in 1st round each year.

Because this is a terrible way to build a team. You aren't even likely to be in a position to draft a "franchise" QB every year in the 1st round. Hell it took KC giving up 2 1st rounders to get Mahomes.

Sure you take your shot if you have a guy you really like but you need to at least attempt to build around them and give them a shot before drafting another guy very high.

Hebert may digress simply by getting a new coaching staff for 2021. You want improvement from a young guy stop changing shit on him every season.

MahomesMagic
01-05-2021, 03:21 PM
What exactly do you think you're disagreeing with me on here?

Unless I'm misreading and you're simply echoing and amplifying.

I agree, he's not exciting but he's not a disaster. About at the level where you keep alert for the opportunity to improve, but don't panic for a quick replacement.

Yeah, this part.

The Franchise
01-05-2021, 03:26 PM

Because those contracts are guaranteed.

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2021, 03:27 PM
Expectations have changed. Too many QB's coming out of the draft now and finding early success.

Have they? Mahomes wasn't the starter until Year 2.

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2021, 03:32 PM
The expectations for young QBs OVERALL have been skewed by Mahomes, and to a lesser extent Allen and Herbert.

That doesn't make Tua any better, though. He's right and wrong. Very few QBs are Mahomesian, . . . some would say singular. But many QBs are still superior to Tua. Something may click for him at some point, but he's not on a trajectory for franchise quality.With which rookie QB trajectory are you comparing him?

pugsnotdrugs19
01-05-2021, 03:35 PM
It just seems like Tua takes forever to make decisions out there and with his arm, that’s no bueno. They aren’t Alabama open anymore.

I think he holds this franchise back from true being a true contender.

louie aguiar
01-05-2021, 03:36 PM

The physical tools show up first in the NFL.

Tua should not have even been playing this year. He will be fine.

And Fields is not the answer.

Allen is also a tools QB but he didn't make the leap until year 3. I'm not advocating giving up on Tua, I agree that the expectations are ridiculous. I just think that it's tough to make it as a QB in the NFL when you don't have elite physical tools/arm talent.

MahomesMagic
01-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Allen is also a tools QB but he didn't make the leap until year 3. I'm not advocating giving up on Tua, I agree that the expectations are ridiculous. I just think that it's tough to make it as a QB in the NFL when you don't have elite physical tools/arm talent.

Brees, Brady did ok for themselves.

Burrow does not have elite physical tools but is one of the best QB prospects I have seen come into the NFL.

There's more to QB than big arm, throw hard, run fast.

htismaqe
01-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Brees, Brady did ok for themselves.

Burrow does not have elite physical tools but is one of the best QB prospects I have seen come into the NFL.

There's more to QB than big arm, throw hard, run fast.

Burrow can make all the throws. Brees and Brady could make all the throws.

Tua has a significant deficiency throwing outside the numbers. That's going to severely limit his ability to excel in the NFL.

Easy 6
01-05-2021, 03:54 PM

I completely agree, put a bunch of talent around him and coach the shit out of him... spending consecutive #1's on a QB is a huge waste of precious resources

staylor26
01-05-2021, 04:04 PM
I completely agree, put a bunch of talent around him and coach the shit out of him... spending consecutive #1's on a QB is a huge waste of precious resources

And if that doesn’t work out, you draft another QB down the line with a team already in place.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Burrow can make all the throws. Brees and Brady could make all the throws.

Tua has a significant deficiency throwing outside the numbers. That's going to severely limit his ability to excel in the NFL.

Yup. They will never win a title with him and will waste any talent they accumulate

BeMyValentine
01-05-2021, 04:25 PM

I agree with most of your draft analysis each year but I don't see Etienne being a good NFL back. His blitz pickup is softer than a marshmallow.

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2021, 04:37 PM
But Tua sucks, so....

Why are you saying that?

mililo4cpa
01-05-2021, 04:47 PM
I'm kind of mixed on the whole thing:

On one hand, he wasn't impressive in the time he had to play

On the other hand, he has only a handful of games, and probably not fair to judge him at that point

However, I'm just not seeing "it" with the guy, and he hasn't really shown me much of anything that suggests that he's going to be much more than what he is right now. Doesn't mean he can't, and of course, I don't get to see they guy every day taking reps nor do I get paid to make that decision (so hard to argue with people who do get paid to do so...)

But man, some of those games were just rough, and not necessarily because of the rookie learning curve (cough, cough Raiders game against a D that just loves to get torched....)

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2021, 05:22 PM
I'm kind of mixed on the whole thing:

On one hand, he wasn't impressive in the time he had to play

On the other hand, he has only a handful of games, and probably not fair to judge him at that point

However, I'm just not seeing "it" with the guy, and he hasn't really shown me much of anything that suggests that he's going to be much more than what he is right now. Doesn't mean he can't, and of course, I don't get to see they guy every day taking reps nor do I get paid to make that decision (so hard to argue with people who do get paid to do so...)

But man, some of those games were just rough, and not necessarily because of the rookie learning curve (cough, cough Raiders game against a D that just loves to get torched....)
Did you see “it” with Josh Allen in year 1 or year 2?

OKchiefs
01-05-2021, 05:40 PM
*disclaimer, i’m not bitching, just asking

Tua actually looked decent against KC and had some decent drives near the end of the game despite nearly every skill position player seemingly leaving the game injured. Am I off on that? That’s the only game I actually watched him, but it seems pretty apparent he’s been bad in most other games.

tredadda
01-05-2021, 05:43 PM
That will absolutely be their weakness and probably keep them from winning a SB.

But if they build a great team around Tua and he can at least be a game manager, they could still be a really good football team.

Would you draft Sewell then considering Tua is a southpaw or would you go skill position like WR to give him another weapon?

mililo4cpa
01-05-2021, 05:47 PM
Did you see “it” with Josh Allen in year 1 or year 2?

Not sure what Allen has to do with Tua, but OK, here it goes:

Compared to Tua....yep, there were way more flashes by Allen in year one.

In regards to just Allen in Year 1....I felt about the same...very mixed. I also could see some good qualities along with the poor. You can't teach arm strength, and Allen did show some good instinctual ability to get out of the pocket and run. Of course, his accuracy sucked in year one, but some of that probably attributed to game speed and technique, which are somewhat workable. He also made the most boneheaded of decisions in the most inopportune times, so there were questions about that.

But, inevitably, the Bills were better with Allen than without. I don't know if I can say the same for the Fish at this point. They certainly weren't better with him than with Fitz

Tua, seems to have some good accuracy on his throws, but doesn't have the arm strength to really push the ball downfield. He seems to have enough instinctual sense to escape the pocket, but otherwise he just checks the ball down (he completed 3 more passes than Ryan Fitzpatrick, but had like 200 less yards)....He had the same YPA as Big Ben and Alex Smith and a shade above Sam Darnold.

But with that, I'm willing to concede that there is room for Tua to grow, hence "mixed" right now.....but I can definitively say that I didn't see anything that made me think "wow, this kid is going to be amazing when it all comes together". Even the most newest of rookies that turn out to be special are able to show those flashes, and I just didn't see it with him....

Buehler445
01-05-2021, 05:49 PM
The thing I don’t get about Tua is in college he was this gunslinging menace. Downfield everywhere. Now he’s Alex Smith 2.0.

tredadda
01-05-2021, 05:50 PM
The thing I don’t get about Tua is in college he was this gunslinging menace. Downfield everywhere. Now he’s Alex Smith 2.0.

Talent disparity between Alabama vs their opponents and Miami vs theirs.

Sassy Squatch
01-05-2021, 05:55 PM
That hip injury very well could have cost him some throwing power.

Megatron96
01-05-2021, 06:03 PM

This was what I was alluding to before. Tua is still recovering from that hip surgery, I guarantee it. Sure, he's well enough to play, but I'd bet anything he isn't 100% back to what he was before the injury. It might take another year before he's really 100%, which might be why he looks like he has a weak arm.

Hell, even if this is about all the arm he has, there's dozens of examples of NFL QBs with about the same arm strength that did very well anyway.

Though I have to admit, I wasn't really impressed with Tua's overall accuracy. He would have to be more accurate to remain in the NFL for long.

RealSNR
01-05-2021, 06:04 PM
If I were a Miami fan, I definitely would be worried and a little upset that they could have had Herbert.

LMAO

I wish I could watch alternate reality Dolphins fan Deberg work his magic on a Miami forum.

Fiedler_1990: "Should the Dolphins have drafted Justin Herbert instead of Tua?"

Megatron96
01-05-2021, 06:11 PM
LMAO

I wish I could watch alternate reality Dolphins fan Deberg work his magic on a Miami forum.

ROFL
Maybe that's exactly what he's doing on a bunch of forums. Ha, I hope he is, actually.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2021, 06:11 PM
LMAO

Mitchell_1993:

Bob Dole
01-05-2021, 06:17 PM
I hope he checked with the head coach first.

displacedinMN
01-05-2021, 06:21 PM
we should take Fitz as a backup

Megatron96
01-05-2021, 06:29 PM

Don't think we can afford him.

And I've read rumors that the Chiefs are probably looking at finding a young QB to step in next year as QB2 or 3. Maybe a late draft pick or a Josh Rosen type? You know, a young QB that didn't stick wherever and is just looking to stay in the league that has some decent skills. Gotta keep costs down was the point of the story.

DaneMcCloud
01-05-2021, 06:30 PM

I doubt he wants to sit on the bench for 19 games a year when he can at least play in a few, if not many, in another city.

Easy 6
01-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Solid read on it, splits it both ways fairly

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/dave-hyde-tua-is-anointed-this-dolphins-rebuild-is-either-confirmed-or-sunk/ar-BB1cvovv?ocid=msedgntp

Indian Chief
01-05-2021, 09:39 PM
I'll back up what some others have said -- I don't think the plan was for Tua to necessarily start this year. The opportunity presented itself and they felt he was healthy enough to go. He just doesn't seem 100% percent yet.

GloucesterChief
01-05-2021, 09:59 PM
Don't think we can afford him.

And I've read rumors that the Chiefs are probably looking at finding a young QB to step in next year as QB2 or 3. Maybe a late draft pick or a Josh Rosen type? You know, a young QB that didn't stick wherever and is just looking to stay in the league that has some decent skills. Gotta keep costs down was the point of the story.

Would love to get Minshew for that role.

Red Dawg
01-05-2021, 10:41 PM
Not a Tua believer. He will win them nothing.

Buehler445
01-06-2021, 01:53 AM

I had considered that. If it did, everyone involved is fucked.

But even if it was wouldn’t you see him try and sling one because it used to work?

Pitt Gorilla
11-14-2022, 11:48 PM
Tua has been looking pretty good. Perhaps patience was the proper choice.

chiefzilla1501
11-14-2022, 11:53 PM
Tua has been looking pretty good. Perhaps patience was the proper choice.

He has but I’m still super curious to see how he looks in windy sf and cold buffalo. Those “accurate” balls which for him are often moonballs will float very differently in the weather. And those passes barely reaching the outside will need more mustard to hit the receiver.

But who knows… he’s proven me wrong so far.

JPH83
11-15-2022, 03:43 AM
He has but I’m still super curious to see how he looks in windy sf and cold buffalo. Those “accurate” balls which for him are often moonballs will float very differently in the weather. And those passes barely reaching the outside will need more mustard to hit the receiver.

But who knows… he’s proven me wrong so far.

He has looked very good, but man he's got a team around him. If he's throwing to MVS, JJSS, Hardman and Watson, I don't think he's getting these numbers!

Bump
11-15-2022, 04:15 AM
He has looked very good, but man he's got a team around him. If he's throwing to MVS, JJSS, Hardman and Watson, I don't think he's getting these numbers!

People always said (non Chiefs fans) during Mahomes first couple of seasons "Mahomes isn't very good, he's got Kelce and Hill to throw to"

beer bacon
11-15-2022, 04:34 AM
mahomes is his own thing. let’s see how tua does when the pressure dials up. he has been great. which qbs are mahome’s calibur? we’ll see in a couple months

Bump
11-15-2022, 04:52 AM
mahomes is his own thing. let’s see how tua does when the pressure dials up. he has been great. which qbs are mahome’s calibur? we’ll see in a couple months

please don't mistake that for thinking Tua is really good or anything, haven't ever watched him play honestly. But I do remember people saying that shit about Mahomes. I'm just saying Tua must be somewhat decent. I'm a believer that putting a dogshit QB on a team with good receivers isn't going to make the QB not dogshit.

JPH83
11-15-2022, 05:11 AM
please don't mistake that for thinking Tua is really good or anything, haven't ever watched him play honestly. But I do remember people saying that shit about Mahomes. I'm just saying Tua must be somewhat decent. I'm a believer that putting a dogshit QB on a team with good receivers isn't going to make the QB not dogshit.

Yeah it's a fair point. Only thing I'd say is he didn't have Tyreek the last 2 years and looked bang average.

MahomesMagic
11-15-2022, 06:15 AM

;)

Eleazar
11-15-2022, 07:09 AM
Don’t look now but the Fins have won every game Tua has both started and finished.

ThaVirus
11-15-2022, 07:28 AM
His efficiency numbers have been absurd

MahomesMagic
11-15-2022, 08:46 AM
His efficiency numbers have been absurd

My comp for him coming out was Matt Ryan.

Very good player that will look bad when things are off but can elevate with a good cast and scheme.

FloridaMan88
11-15-2022, 11:07 AM
Is Tua better than Suckbert now?

All of the talk about Miami blowing it by picking Tua over Suckbert... Tua has a far better wins/losses record as a starting QB than Suckbert and now that he has weapons around him, he's putting up the similar stats that Suckbet has been putting up.

ModSocks
11-15-2022, 11:32 AM
Is Tua better than Suckbert now?

All of the talk about Miami blowing it by picking Tua over Suckbert... Tua has a far better wins/losses record as a starting QB than Suckbert and now that he has weapons around him, he's putting up the similar stats that Suckbet has been putting up.

Jesus Christ.

Name the guys Herbert is throwing at right now. Then name Tua's.

Screw the stats, look at the players play and look at the context of the situations.

FloridaMan88
11-15-2022, 11:33 AM
Jesus Christ.

Name the guys Herbert is throwing at right now. Then name Tua's.

Screw the stats, look at the players play and look at the context of the situations.

First two years of Suckbert's career he had far better talent around him than Tua and he still had a WORSE win/loss record as a starting QB.

ModSocks
11-15-2022, 11:39 AM
First two years of Suckbert's career he had far better talent around him than Tua and he still had a WORSE win/loss record as a starting QB.

That's wrong too.

Tua was getting benched mid game last season for Fitzmagic on a stacked roster. That was a damn good roster last year too.

Meanwhile, that Chargers roster gets over hyped every season and every season half of them are dead by mid year.

ModSocks
11-15-2022, 11:44 AM
Tua is playing in a fresh new, innovative offense that the league hasn't figured out yet, a HC who's caught the league by storm, with 4.3 speed at damn near every offensive skill position.

Herbert is playing for an uncreative, dink and dunk offense right now and his receivers would likely be practice squad guys for the Chiefs. His HC will be fired at the end of the season.

The Chargers look like the train wreck they are every year and the Dolphins look like they've really built something.

If the Chargers still had their starting tackles, Allen, Williams, Bosa, Jackson (and the list goes on and on) you might not be asking these questions.

MahomesMagic
11-15-2022, 12:03 PM
That's wrong too.

Tua was getting benched mid game last season for Fitzmagic on a stacked roster. That was a damn good roster last year too.

Meanwhile, that Chargers roster gets over hyped every season and every season half of them are dead by mid year.

Tua's offensive line was horrible last year.

Hammock Parties
11-15-2022, 12:07 PM
Tua is playing in a fresh new, innovative offense that the league hasn't figured out yet, a HC who's caught the league by storm, with 4.3 speed at damn near every offensive skill position.

And yet the Dolphins average 27 PPG in Tua's starts.

Don't crown 'em just yet.

Red Dawg
11-15-2022, 12:11 PM
Tua is just the latest to get over-praised by worthless TV shows. He's won nothing yet and hasn't been battle tested. In the past, late in the year when battle tested he would mess up.

KChiefs1
11-15-2022, 12:14 PM
Tua is just the latest to get over-praised by worthless TV shows. He's won nothing yet and hasn't been battle tested. In the past, late in the year when battle tested he would mess up.

Justin Fields is getting a lot of love for a loser too. Dude is more of a RB than a QB. Even when he rushes for 150+ the Bears still lose.

JohnnyHammersticks
11-15-2022, 12:18 PM
Anybody know where Pugs is hiding?

Always enjoyed his football takes.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2022, 06:03 PM
yeah they're not beating buffalo

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tua had 9 mostly wide open or flat out wide open misses on Sunday where he DID NOT have pressure in his face. Here&#39;s all 9: <a href="https://t.co/KsEXaJCe8J">pic.twitter.com/KsEXaJCe8J</a></p>&mdash; Rich (@richjmadrid) <a href="https://twitter.com/richjmadrid/status/1600567649054130176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TribalElder
12-07-2022, 09:54 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tyreek Hill said Eric Fisher remembered their special handshake from Kansas City. Tyreek says his kid is a huge fan of “Big Fish.”</p>&mdash; Joe Schad (@schadjoe) <a href="https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1600616285527633920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Abba-Dabba
12-07-2022, 10:07 PM
yeah they're not beating buffalo

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tua had 9 mostly wide open or flat out wide open misses on Sunday where he DID NOT have pressure in his face. Here&#39;s all 9: <a href="https://t.co/KsEXaJCe8J">pic.twitter.com/KsEXaJCe8J</a></p>&mdash; Rich (@richjmadrid) <a href="https://twitter.com/richjmadrid/status/1600567649054130176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can't make it past watching what an actual LT looks like.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2022, 10:14 PM

that's their backup LT

TribalElder
12-07-2022, 10:20 PM
Eric Fisher is their LT now

Imon Yourside
12-08-2022, 12:24 AM
that's their backup LT

Eric Fisher is their LT now

Speaks volumes about our LT

RealSNR
12-08-2022, 12:31 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tyreek Hill said Eric Fisher remembered their special handshake from Kansas City. Tyreek says his kid is a huge fan of “Big Fish.”</p>&mdash; Joe Schad (@schadjoe) <a href="https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1600616285527633920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Tyreek also says Tua is the most accurate QB in the NFL and that's preferable to playing with Mahomes.

Tyreek says lots of things.

Abba-Dabba
12-08-2022, 12:36 AM
that's their backup LT

Is that somehow supposed to make it better? Sheesh.

jd1020
12-08-2022, 02:02 AM

A video that shows the 9 plays in which Tua didn't have pressure in his face and the LT had 1 on 1 priority of his edge in 3 of those plays and you come away bashing OBJ who had a pretty good game against the same team.

Abba-Dabba
12-08-2022, 06:50 AM
A video that shows the 9 plays in which Tua didn't have pressure in his face and the LT had 1 on 1 priority of his edge in 3 of those plays and you come away bashing OBJ who had a pretty good game against the same team.

I bash OBJ because he is getting paid as a top 5 starting LT in the league and has had the results of a bottom 5 starting LT in the league.

chiefzilla1501
12-08-2022, 06:57 AM
Still waiting for tua to see an actual weather game. We will get our wish soon playing a division game IN buffalo and New England. Hopefully cold as balls and windy.

Eleazar
12-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Tua's been decent, but it seems obvious he's overachieving versus his real ability right now. You can see down to down that he still has some problems reading the field and his accuracy is suspect at times.

Apart from this, against decent teams this year Miami's often been held to 15-20 points. Of course there were some injuries and matchups that could explain that, but I think Miami's defense deserves more of the credit than they're getting.

The Dolphins have @Buffalo coming up, but only middling teams remaining on their schedule otherwise. They've lost to almost every team on their schedule who is likely to make the postseason. We won't really know who they are until playoff time.

kcclone
12-08-2022, 10:02 AM
McDaniels knows full well how to work around a sub optimal QB. He’s surrounded Tua with weapons.

They certainly have the offense to win a playoff game. But I don’t see how their defense and Tua will be able to rattle off multiple windows in the AFC playoffs.

Mecca
12-08-2022, 10:05 AM
Both of the Dolphins starting OT's are injured.

Coochie liquor
12-08-2022, 10:23 AM

And their backups are probably still playing better than our 2 starters.

notorious
12-08-2022, 10:35 AM
It's all practice until the playoffs start.

Buehler445
12-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Still waiting for tua to see an actual weather game. We will get our wish soon playing a division game IN buffalo and New England. Hopefully cold as balls and windy.

Fuck that. Hopefully he doesn't get a weather game until he signs his 300M guaranteed contract.

Gary Cooper
12-08-2022, 12:22 PM
Just line them up against Clark/Karlaftis. They'll look like Orlando Pace and Forrest Gregg.

scho63
12-26-2022, 09:20 PM
Tua out again due to concussion. Someone in the game thread thought he was concussed and caused the 3 INTs. Looks like they were right

Hammock Parties
12-26-2022, 09:21 PM
dolphins really going to miss the playoffs LMAO

WhawhaWhat
12-26-2022, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't be offended if the Chiefs have play the Jets in the first round.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2022, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't be offended if the Chiefs have play the Jets in the first round.

what i want is the jets or patriots upsetting someone in the playoffs so we, as the one seed, get them in the divisional round

that would make the loser of CIN/BUF just scream bloody murder at us all offseason when we win the SB LMAO

lewdog
12-26-2022, 09:29 PM
Tua is a fucking loser with a shitty ass throwing motion. I have no idea why anyone though he'd be a good NFL QB.

TribalElder
12-26-2022, 09:30 PM

Once that reality sets in I will enjoy hearing excuses from Cheetah

tredadda
12-26-2022, 09:37 PM

Looks like KC wouldn’t have to worry about double teaming him.

Nickhead
12-26-2022, 10:20 PM
ROFL

Bump
12-26-2022, 10:54 PM

he's gonna make it about the Chiefs somehow lol and finish whatever he says with 'no kap' just so you know he's serious

Buehler445
12-26-2022, 11:20 PM
ROFL

ROFL

Goddamn it. That's funny.

Nickhead
12-27-2022, 02:32 AM
ROFL

ThyKingdomCome15
12-27-2022, 03:58 AM
I wonder if the Dolphins would bench Tua if they could sign Tom Brady this offseason.

ThaVirus
12-27-2022, 08:39 AM
Guy needs to learn how to fall properly to avoid injury.

I'm convinced that's a skill.

Wisconsin_Chief
12-27-2022, 08:48 AM

Pretty clear you're correct about it being a skill. Mahomes takes more shots than just about anyone, and aside from the freak knee issue he always pops right back up. I think a lot of it is about body control, which he clearly has mastered. The disgusting TD run last week was the perfect example.

tredadda
12-27-2022, 09:10 AM

Oh it’s a skill. Look at the WWE.

notorious
12-27-2022, 09:19 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7geetIEKuG0?start=60" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63
12-27-2022, 11:43 AM
Tua gets one more bad concussion and he may pull an Andrew Luck.

tredadda
12-27-2022, 12:44 PM
Tua gets one more bad concussion and he may pull an Andrew Luck.

He might want to wait till he gets paid like Luck did before doing that.

Skyy God
12-27-2022, 03:18 PM
‘Fins are mishandling Tua.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1607504071077859329?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1607504071077859329%7Ctwgr% 5E0e974fa818a8947baf19328e5c7f619cbfe99a3b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdefector.com%2Fwhos-going-to-protect-tua-tagovailoa%2F

Skyy God
12-27-2022, 03:19 PM
I wonder if the Dolphins would bench Tua if they could sign Tom Brady this offseason.

They already tampered for him in 2020.