PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Deandre Baker could be able to play for 2021 season

Megatron96
01-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Per Arrowhead Pride's John Dixon, Andy Reid says Deandre Baker's surgery went very well, and he's expected to make a full recovery.

There's even a good chance that he will be able to play in 2021.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/1/4/22213607/andy-reid-provides-rather-positive-update-on-cornerback-deandre-baker

mililo4cpa
01-06-2021, 12:19 PM
In his presser on Monday, Reid said that Baker actually showed up to the facility (like a minute before Reid started) and was able to put some slight weight on it....

Think of that....around 5pm EST Sunday, Baker snaps his femur......by what, 12pm EST Monday, he's back in the building.....

I'm no doctor, but that sounded unreal to me.....

pugsnotdrugs19
In a shitty situation, it would seem to be the best case scenario. Given what it looked like.

Rain Man
I was sure he was dead when I saw the replay.

Megatron96
01-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Judging from the one replay I saw, it looked really bad. Like career-ending type of injury. It's a great blessing that he's going to be okay.

SupDock
01-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Amazing news

htismaqe
01-06-2021, 01:08 PM
Yeah, some of us were talking about this the other day. Sure sounds like it was a perfectly clean break and a simple surgery. Reid said the other day he was putting some weight on it already. He's going to be on the team next year and get some playing time.

Megatron96
01-06-2021, 01:10 PM
Still makes you wonder though. Just how the hell did he break his femur just running down the field? Could we have missed something on the replay? Did he get kicked in the leg right before stumbling and going down?

Just weird that he broke it without any contact whatsoever.

DaneMcCloud
01-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Still makes you wonder though. Just how the hell did he break his femur just running down the field? Could we have missed something on the replay? Did he get kicked in the leg right before stumbling and going down?

Just weird that he broke it without any contact whatsoever.

If you watched video of the injury, it appears his foot gets stuck in the turf but his momentum is carrying him forward, causing the break.

It's a pretty gruesome watch.

Zebedee DuBois
01-06-2021, 01:24 PM
I was sure he was dead when I saw the replay.

Deandre Lazarus Baker

Randallflagg
01-06-2021, 01:24 PM
Amazing news

I agree. With a little luck - he will return :clap:

SupDock
01-06-2021, 01:30 PM
If you watched video of the injury, it appears his foot gets stuck in the turf but his momentum is carrying him forward, causing the break.

Still seems like a bizarre injury. You would expect a lot of structures in your leg to fail before your femur. If your foot gets stuck, your upper body is not fixed, so you fall down.

A non contact femur fracture is unusual.

htismaqe
01-06-2021, 01:50 PM

But to his point, all it takes is for some tendons and ligaments to be stronger than the end of the femur.

It seems freakish because we EXPECT to see a guy in the situation blow out a knee. Usually bones are stronger than tendons or ligaments. In this case, they weren't, and the bone snapped.

That ends up being a good thing long term because bones, if repaired correctly, can return completely to 100%.

scho63
01-06-2021, 01:59 PM
From everything all you guys have said about what it looked like, I'm damn glad I didn't see it. :eek:

Megatron96
01-06-2021, 02:01 PM
From everything all you guys have said about what it looked like, I'm damn glad I didn't see it. :eek:

It was pretty gross. Kind of like the Theisman break, but up above the knee.

ClevelandBronco
01-06-2021, 02:04 PM
I think the team may have orchestrated this whole thing just to show up Alex Smith.

Megatron96
01-06-2021, 02:09 PM
But to his point, all it takes is for some tendons and ligaments to be stronger than the end of the femur.

It seems freakish because we EXPECT to see a guy in the situation blow out a knee. Usually bones are stronger than tendons or ligaments. In this case, they weren't, and the bone snapped.

That ends up being a good thing long term because bones, if repaired correctly, can return completely to 100%.

Yeah, the mystery is how the femur broke before he blew out his knee. My father was a radiologist, diagnostician. Which means X-rays, CAT scans, PETs, MRIs, etc. As a kid, I used to get dropped off at the hospital instead of at home because my parents were both working at the end of the school day. So from about 5 years old to 16, I spent a lot of time looking at X-rays, hanging around the Emergency Room, and the like. And I remember my pops telling me that the femur was the second strongest bone in the body, and stronger than a steel pipe of the same dimensions. Super tough to break one without using some kind of fulcrum and a huge amount of pressure.

So watching someone blow one up without a body hitting it is just weird. And like I said before, the only time I've ever seen anything like what happened to Baker was when a teammate of mine had a tumor in his femur.

A perfectly healthy femur breaking without contact seems extraordinarily rare.

mililo4cpa
01-06-2021, 02:10 PM

I, for one, will never watch that replay. I'll take your word for it!

Dunerdr
01-06-2021, 02:16 PM

If im not mistaken thought he way the force was would be forcing the knee to compress correct? This would have the knee where its supposed to be not creating a sideways force thats often associated with non contact knee injury. Usually its a guy cutting or atleast moving another direction. Baker appeared to be moving full speed forward and his foot just planted. Is it still crazy and unlikely? yes. But so was Bo Jacksons injury. A lot of things should have failed first but didnt.

htismaqe
01-06-2021, 02:18 PM
If im not mistaken thought he way the force was would be forcing the knee to compress correct? This would have the knee where its supposed to be not creating a sideways force thats often associated with non contact knee injury. Usually its a guy cutting or atleast moving another direction. Baker appeared to be moving full speed forward and his foot just planted. Is it still crazy and unlikely? yes. But so was Bo Jacksons injury. A lot of things should have failed first but didnt.

It's entirely possible the patella itself acted like a fulcrum/wedge and that's what snapped the femur. I don't know where his leg broke but the closer it is to the knee, I imagine the closer it is to possible.

Dunerdr
01-06-2021, 03:04 PM
It's entirely possible the patella itself acted like a fulcrum/wedge and that's what snapped the femur. I don't know where his leg broke but the closer it is to the knee, I imagine the closer it is to possible.

A wild injury and a rare brake without extreme external force, hopefully his recovery is just as freaky and impressive.

MMXcalibur
01-06-2021, 03:55 PM
Good for Baker, and even better for our defensive prospects.

Bowser
01-06-2021, 05:20 PM

Arrowhead's field had a pretty decent reputation up until that moment.

And I'll take your word for it, don't' think I need a re-watch of that play!

SupDock
01-06-2021, 05:30 PM

Definitely, and arguing about why it shouldn't happen is moot, because it did happen. It's still kind of fun to talk about though.

Megatron96
01-06-2021, 05:36 PM

Hard to say without watching it again in super slo-mo and zoomed in, which I have no interest in doing, but it looked like the break was just a few inches above the knee. 4-6 inches maybe? Definitely not up closer to the hip.

mkp785
01-07-2021, 01:54 AM
This is great news. The kid made some mistakes like a lot of us but he's trying to make amends. Glad to hear he has a good chance at coming back by 2021 opening day.

He has the pedigree and ability to fill a massive hole here. What team couldn't use a corner who can cover outside and still blitz when needed?

tmax63
01-07-2021, 07:15 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that he could have taken a shot on his thigh during a previous play and weakened it. I don't get that deep into it by watching the games several times or the various recordings of the game but it would be a plausible explanation that the break was caused by a couple hits that structurally weakened the femur allowing it to break the way it did.

InChiefsHeaven
01-07-2021, 09:59 AM
So then, the general consensus us that it was just and absolute freak accident, and not related to some kind of bone density\bone cancer issue? God, I hope so...for his sake.

thabear04
02-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Chiefs sign Baker for a future contract.

mkp785
02-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Chiefs sign Baker for a future contract.

After the shitty week Chiefs fans have had it would be massive if him and the Prince end up playing to their potential. Franchise altering, really if we hit those 2.

Phoneix
11-14-2021, 12:48 PM
So what has happened to Baker? I almost forgot he was on this team....he hasn't played since since Week 6. I thought he was doing better than Hughes??

ThyKingdomCome15
11-14-2021, 12:58 PM
So what has happened to Baker? I almost forgot he was on this team....he hasn't played since since Week 6. I thought he was doing better than Hughes??

He's the #4 or #5 corner at best. Fenton, Sneed, and Ward are all ahead of him. Same for Huges.