PDA

View Full Version : Football HC Matt Nagy, GM Ryan Pace will return after 'impressive' finish to 2020

Megatron96
01-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Chairman George McCaskey lauded the duo's resiliency during the team's 8-8 season

"Despite a second straight non-winning season, in which they started 5-1 before finishing 8-8 and failing to advance past their first playoff game for the second time in three years, the Chicago Bears are running it back in 2021. Chairman George McCaskey and president Ted Phillips announced Wednesday that coach Matt Nagy and general manager Ryan Pace will both return for another season, citing an "impressive" finish to the 2020 campaign -- the third under Nagy's guidance and sixth under Pace.

"Have mistakes been made? Yes," McCaskey said, per reporters. "But I think Ryan and Matt are learning and growing in their roles ... I understand your frustration. We're frustrated, too ... (but) sticking with these guys is the best route for the Bears at this time ... We all want things to get better, and a lot of times, you have to go through tough times to get better. The way they've handled adversity the last two seasons leads us to the conclusion that they're the best people to lead us through 2021."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-announce-coach-matt-nagy-gm-ryan-pace-will-return-after-impressive-finish-to-2020/

Hmm.

Pablo
01-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Lololol loser franchise.

Megatron96
01-13-2021, 03:26 PM
It's almost like no one over there knows what they're doing.

DaneMcCloud
01-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Ryan Pace should have been fired long ago but Nagy coached his fucking ass off in 2021.

They don't have a QB, their receivers are garbage, as are their running backs (although David Montgomery looked decent in the last part of the season) yet Nagy was somehow able to get 8 wins out of a shit squad and make the playoffs.

Buehler445
01-13-2021, 03:30 PM
Ryan Pace should have been fired long ago but Nagy coached his fucking ass of in 2021.

They don't have a QB, their receivers are garbage, as are their running backs (although David Montgomery looked decent in the last part of the season) yet Nagy was somehow able to get 8 wins out of a shit squad and make the playoffs.

Agreed.

Pace.... Other than that Mack trade, which looks good, still.....Trubisky.....Woof.

But Nagy got some things done.

Megatron96
01-13-2021, 03:40 PM
Ryan Pace should have been fired long ago but Nagy coached his fucking ass off in 2021.

Agreed. I think I read earlier this season that their OL was messed up as well.

Biggest issue is obviously QB. They haven't had one in three seasons or whatever. Give Nagy a real QB and a couple seasons, I bet CHI would be a much better offensive team.

KCUnited
01-13-2021, 03:46 PM
Their owner isn't committed to winning a championship, hence falling ass backwards into the playoffs with Pace is good enough.

louie aguiar
01-13-2021, 03:55 PM
Ryan Pace will forever be tainted by the 2017 draft and his decision to draft Trubisky ahead of Mahomes and Watson

Frazod
01-13-2021, 04:02 PM
Ryan Pace will forever be tainted by the 2017 draft and his decision to draft Trubisky ahead of Mahomes and Watson

Not just that - he actually traded up from 3 to 2 to do it. It's still crazy to think he did that for somebody who probably should have gone in the third round.

When you factor in the picks he dumped to get Mack, he absolutely decimated their ability to draft talent for a couple of years.

He's gotta have pictures of Halas fucking a goat or something.

RealSNR
01-13-2021, 04:09 PM
I mean, I know historically sucktastic franchises have won championships in the past 20 years, but the Bears finding a franchise QB better than Jim McMahon is one of the more unbelievable, "I'll believe it when I see it" scenarios.

The Bears are totally the worst franchise when it comes to QBs in NFL history, right?

Hammock Parties
01-13-2021, 04:10 PM
They just need a QB

Buehler445
01-13-2021, 04:14 PM
I mean, I know historically sucktastic franchises have won championships in the past 20 years, but the Bears finding a franchise QB better than Jim McMahon is one of the more unbelievable, "I'll believe it when I see it" scenarios.

The Bears are totally the worst franchise when it comes to QBs in NFL history, right?

Rex Grossman disagrees.For like the 4 seconds before defenses figured him out. ROFL

Megatron96
01-13-2021, 04:16 PM

This is kind of what I've been thinking for a few decades now. How is it possible that CHI couldn't find one decent QB, even just on Kirk Cousins' level since McMahon? Doesn't seem possible.

Easy 6
01-13-2021, 04:40 PM
Heard a quote from Pace today on the Doug Gottlieb show

"Every decision I make for this team is the right decision"

That is some astonishing arrogance, very Pioli-like... good luck, Bears fans

htismaqe
01-13-2021, 05:17 PM

Yep.

Firing Nagy would have been really dumb.

Megatron96
01-13-2021, 05:23 PM
Heard a quote from Pace today on the Doug Gottlieb show

"Every decision I make for this team is the right decision"

That is some astonishing arrogance, very Pioli-like... good luck, Bears fans

Soooo . . . he doesn't remember drafting Tru-biscuit? PTSD?

MahiMike
01-13-2021, 08:55 PM
Deserved. Good to see someone keep their job after getting to the playoffs w/Mitch Trubisky. Mitch played well down the stretch too.

notorious
01-13-2021, 08:58 PM
They just need a QB

If only they had a top 5 draft pick the last few years.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2021, 09:18 PM
Trubisky back at starter ?

Megatron96
01-13-2021, 11:37 PM
Trubisky back at starter ?

Unlikely, considering that CHI has already announced that they are not seeking to pick up his 5th year option.

Buehler445
01-13-2021, 11:43 PM
Unlikely, considering that CHI has already announced that they are not seeking to pick up his 5th year option.

They can probably extend him cheap. Because who's going to pay him?

Rausch
01-13-2021, 11:44 PM
They can probably extend him cheap. Because who's going to pay him?

There are 3 pro bowl level QB's wanting out of their cities. I doubt the Lions would trade with Chi-town but there are options out there.

Hell, imagine Watson in Chicago...

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2021, 11:48 PM
Not just that - he actually traded up from 3 to 2 to do it. It's still crazy to think he did that for somebody who probably should have gone in the third round.

Chiefs had a hard on for Trubisky as well. Lots of revisionist history going on with him with the success of Mahomes.

Dunerdr
01-14-2021, 07:00 AM
There are 3 pro bowl level QB's wanting out of their cities. I doubt the Lions would trade with Chi-town but there are options out there.

Hell, imagine Watson in Chicago...

After the Mack trade this is kind of what i was thinking. Maybe they can send Foles plus picks, or dare i say, Mack plus picks?

Beef Supreme
01-14-2021, 07:16 AM
Chiefs had a hard on for Trubisky as well. Lots of revisionist history going on with him with the success of Mahomes.

Say what now?

KCUnited
01-14-2021, 07:21 AM
Pace never considered anyone other than Trubisky, then gave Mike Glennon 18 million to go 1-3 as a starter. The fuck would you trust this guy finding their next QB?

Dunerdr
01-14-2021, 07:40 AM

Where did this come from? Ive never heard that. Pre draft the chiefs were smoke screening that they wanted to trade up and get a line backer. I remember the Chiefs supposedly being in on Osweiller and Manziel, but ive never heard that.

Frazod
01-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Where did this come from? Ive never heard that. Pre draft the chiefs were smoke screening that they wanted to trade up and get a line backer. I remember the Chiefs supposedly being in on Osweiller and Manziel, but ive never heard that.

Yeah, I call bullshit on that one.

Skyy God
01-14-2021, 08:41 AM
Pace never considered anyone other than Trubisky, then gave Mike Glennon 18 million to go 1-3 as a starter. The **** would you trust this guy finding their next QB?

And traded for Foles.

Red Dawg
01-14-2021, 08:42 AM
If only they had a top 5 draft pick the last few years.

Was that Naggys fault? That was not if I recall.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2021, 09:52 AM
At some point gms have to learn a valuable lesson that drafting a top 3 pick qb should not stop you from finding a qbotf. Not a bandaid. Not an expensive backup. A true qbotf. Props to Arizona and Seattle, two good examples of teams who didn't settle too long on their QB and it really paid off for them.

FloridaMan88
01-14-2021, 10:04 AM
Just amazing how so many billion dollar entities (which is the valuation of most NFL franchises, including the Bears), are satisfied with consistent mediocrity.

The Bears only backed into the playoffs because of the expanded 7th seed, and because of a fluke tie breaking scenario over Arizona and then were promptly curb stomped by the Saints.

But apparently that outcome, along with the Trublowsky over Mahomes/Watson epic failure is "impressive" enough for their loser ownership.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-14-2021, 10:05 AM

Bullshit

Beef Supreme
01-14-2021, 11:47 AM
Just amazing how so many billion dollar entities (which is the valuation of most NFL franchises, including the Bears), are satisfied with consistent mediocrity.

The Bears only backed into the playoffs because of the expanded 7th seed, and because of a fluke tie breaking scenario over Arizona and then were promptly curb stomped by the Saints.

But apparently that outcome, along with the Trublowsky over Mahomes/Watson epic failure is "impressive" enough for their loser ownership.

If you can make billions being consistently mediocre, it's hard to argue with the business strategy.

GloucesterChief
01-14-2021, 11:54 AM
With the way the NFL tv contracts work, you get paid regardless. It is not like baseball where teams sucking for a long time can be attributed to small market and lack of finances.