PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink January Crock Pot Goodies

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 12:34 PM
It's crock pot season! Here in cow country, there's all kind of funky receipes for Crock Pots. I went to a pot luck party in Lexington, MO a few years ago and one of our friends brought what she called "Cowboy Beans." This is the recipe. You can do this in the oven at low heat -275 degrees- or in a crock pot for several hours. I like the crock pot. If you don't like bacon you can use Chorizo Sausage. Instead of pork & beans I use Bush's baked beans. Instead of catsup I just add more BBQ sauce. I like Original KC Masterpiece (not the cheap Clorox stuff, but original recipe) and use a little more black molasses instead of brown sugar. Or you can use sorghum. I like black beans and butter beans in the bean mix. You can serve this up like Chili. It's super good! How bout you? Whatcha got?

ptlyon
01-26-2021, 12:55 PM
I use Bush's as a starter too George. Either original or brown sugar and one onion can, or 3 if there's a crowd.

Then I add to taste:
Cooked hamburger (usually a pound)
Cooked bacon
Ketchup and mustard
Brown sugar if I didn't use the canned one

Throw it all in a crock pot on low all day and adjust more ingredients tasting during the day if needed

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 01:10 PM
There's also a bean salad they call "Cowboy Caviar." I haven't made this but it sounds pretty good:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/103674/cowboy-caviar/?printview

Sorce
01-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Stick of butter
2 bricks of cream cheese
1/2 cup pepperjack cheese
2lbs frozen corn.

Let everything but the corn melt in a crock pot then add the corn and let it heat through.

Randallflagg
01-26-2021, 01:18 PM
I remember as a kid the best baked beans I have ever tasted - my Grandmothers. A year or so back I stumbled across this recipe. I guarantee if you guys make them, it will blow your mind,

Ingredients
8 slices bacon, halved
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into small dice
3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
3/4 c. barbecue sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. distilled or cider vinegar
2 tsp. dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon

--------------------------------------------------------

Directions
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.

Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.

Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients).

Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.

Boy Howdy!!! Bean Heaven

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9890/the-best-baked-beans-ever/

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Stick of butter
2 bricks of cream cheese
2lbs frozen corn.

Let everything but the corn melt in a crock pot then add the corn and let it heat through.

Is this runny?

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 01:48 PM
How bout this one?
Crock Pot Mushrooms:

3 or 4 packages of your favorite whole or sliced mushrooms
1 bottle Wishbone or your favorite zesty italian dressing
about 1/3 bottle of worsh sause
1/2 stick of butter. Use real butter.
tablespoon minced garlic
Dash of onion powder
Tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning

Crockpot on low for 4 or 5 hours.
Enjoy!

SupDock
01-26-2021, 02:06 PM
How bout this one?
Crock Pot Mushrooms:

tablespoon minced garlic
Dash of onion powder

Enjoy!

I was hoping you would link this! Is this your famous mushroom recipe? I remember a thread last year where it was brought up, and for some reason the mushroom recipe crossed my mind and I wanted to revisit it.

Sorce
01-26-2021, 02:42 PM
Is this runny?

Very creamy

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 03:46 PM
I was hoping you would link this! Is this your famous mushroom recipe? I remember a thread last year where it was brought up, and for some reason the mushroom recipe crossed my mind and I wanted to revisit it.

Yes, this is real good for a party, kind of like doing little meatballs. Depending on how many people you intend to feed, each standard package of mushrooms will feed 2 to 3 people. I like Wishbone zesty italian as the dressing. Don't use creamy italian, use an oil base italian. The whole fresh mushrooms soak up a lot of the wetness and will squish when you bite them. If you don't like that, use sliced mushrooms. Either way, they cook down a bit while they crock, so when you first fill the crock pot, you'll lose about 1/3rd of your volume once they cook down.

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 04:01 PM
If you like crock pot meat balls, try this:
Pack of 24 frozen meatballs (not italian, regular style). 1/3rd jar of basic grape jelly. 1 cup Gates BBQ sauce or your favorite. Tip: Don't use Bryant's original, not a good match. I like Gates for this very much. Add about 1/2 cup of Ketchup for Patrick Mahomes, a couple dashes of Worsh sauce and some hot sauce if you like heat. I put in just about a teaspoon of little rooster or Zim's Hot Sauce if you have it. Also added some Gates seasoning, a little garlic powder and some celery salt. Let that all crock on low for four or five hours. Plate the meatballs, stick a toothpick in each and nosh away!

Zebedee DuBois
01-26-2021, 04:04 PM
We have crock pot burritos frequently - toss in some pork shoulder, beans, hot peppers, etc.

SupDock
01-26-2021, 04:08 PM
Yes, this is real good for a party, kind of like doing little meatballs. Depending on how many people you intend to feed, each standard package of mushrooms will feed 2 to 3 people. I like Wishbone zesty italian as the dressing. Don't use creamy italian, use an oil base italian. The whole fresh mushrooms soak up a lot of the wetness and will squish when you bite them. If you don't like that, use sliced mushrooms. Either way, they cook down a bit while they crock, so when you first fill the crock pot, you'll lose about 1/3rd of your volume once they cook down.

Thanks so much!

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much!

I also like to make small batches of these and put them over the top of a nicely grilled steak. Makes a nice complimentary steak side. Also forgot to mention, they'll be a lot of liquid in the crock pot, so pull the mushrooms out with a slotted spoon. Don't want them to be too runny on the plate.

Bwana
01-26-2021, 04:16 PM
This thread is making me hungry.

ptlyon
01-26-2021, 04:18 PM
Thought you wouldn't give out your mushroom recipe George?

Monticore
01-26-2021, 04:42 PM
I assume all these recipes will work in a an air fryer.

stumppy
01-26-2021, 05:33 PM
I opened this thread and ended up adding several things to my grocery list.

The Cowboy Beans have been in the oven for about an hour now.:D

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 06:51 PM
Thought you wouldn't give out your mushroom recipe George?

I was lured...

gblowfish
01-26-2021, 06:52 PM
I opened this thread and ended up adding several things to my grocery list.

The Cowboy Beans have been in the oven for about an hour now.:D

Let us know how they turn out!

REDHOTGTO
01-26-2021, 07:11 PM
if ya like hot heres a dandy
2 pkgs frozen meatballs
5 fresh jalepenos sliced
2 pks whole mushrooms
1 (maybe 2 depends on room) chunked onion i prefer sweet yellow
cook on low till shrooms and peppers are soft, stirring every half hour or so

Megatron96
01-26-2021, 07:22 PM
Damn. Well, time to make drip beef sammies again.

burt
01-26-2021, 07:31 PM
We call these ugly beans...

4 cans Ranch style beans
1 onion
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar
1/2 to 1 full chopped garlic (to taste)
1/2 cup bbq sauce (just about any)
3 tbs Bryants
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs mustard
1 tbs pepper
add a shot or 2 of any dry rubs you might have around.

chop bacon into 1 inch slices cook
chop onion and saute with butter
mix all ingredients
cook on stovetop at medium to low for 20 to 30 minutes

Serve.

I like it as a dip with ruffles. Just a total different kind of beans than most peeps serve. And another reason I am fat.

gblowfish
01-30-2021, 11:03 AM
It's going to be a damp, yucky day with rain and dropping temps. Mrs B is going to go visit her sister in Kansas, so I'm going to stay home with the kitties and do laundry and putter. Making Cowboy Beans in the crock pot. I'm using a recipe that's a hybrid between two recipes I've received from friends. So in the crock pot, here's what I'm doing: 1 lb ground chuck, 1 lb thick cut bacon with strips cut into thirds, 1 sweet onion. 1 can ea black beans and chili beans. 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can small whole white potatoes. Spices: 3/4 cup Gates BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup black sorghum, kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, dry mustard. I like to bake bacon in the oven at 350. It takes longer but turns out perfect. When the bacon is done, set it aside on a paper towel to dry. Put the bacon grease into a frying pan, and sautee the chopped onion (just ground it up in a food processor); Once the onions have cooked down in the bacon grease, put in the ground chuck and brown it up. Once thoroughly browned, drain off the fat and put in into the crock pot with all the other ingredients. Cook on low for 5 or 6 hours. I'll let you know how it turns out. It sure smells good!

scho63
01-30-2021, 11:07 AM
I should have gotten advice in this thread BEFORE I did a Corned Beef a couple days ago.

Didn't turn out so great.

Anyone do corned beef in a crock? Advice?

gblowfish
01-30-2021, 11:12 AM
I should have gotten advice in this thread BEFORE I did a Corned Beef a couple days ago.

Didn't turn out so great.

Anyone do corned beef in a crock? Advice?

Betty Crocker's your main squeeze:
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooked-corned-beef-dinner/d93e9cd9-b4b4-4fbe-8d04-297c69cdcba5

scho63
01-30-2021, 08:35 PM
Betty Crocker's your main squeeze:
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooked-corned-beef-dinner/d93e9cd9-b4b4-4fbe-8d04-297c69cdcba5

I will forever call her Betty Crockpot! :thumb:

cabletech94
01-30-2021, 09:58 PM
Made chicken tacos in the crockpot for the first time. So easy.

1. 2 fresh chicken breasts
2. 1 pint of salsa ( I used homemade, year old batch)
3. Generous serving of bulk taco seasoning (probably 2 packages of taco season).

Slow cooker for 7 to 8 hours. Shred. Pile together with your favorite taco ingredients. Enjoy!

Zebedee DuBois
01-30-2021, 10:00 PM
Did a crockpot jambalaya today. Andouille sausage, chicken thighs, shrimp, onion, garlic, tomatoes, poblanos, green chiles, celery, chicken broth, oregano, cajun spice, thyme, parsley, cayenne. Rice cooked separately and mixed when serving.

Buehler445
01-30-2021, 11:09 PM
Did a crockpot jambalaya today. Andouille sausage, chicken thighs, shrimp, onion, garlic, tomatoes, poblanos, green chiles, celery, chicken broth, oregano, cajun spice, thyme, parsley, cayenne. Rice cooked separately and mixed when serving.

What kind of rice?

srvy
01-31-2021, 01:42 AM

3. Generous serving of bulk taco seasoning (probably 2 packages of taco season).

Slow cooker for 7 to 8 hours. Shred. Pile together with your favorite taco ingredients. Enjoy!

I do a similar chicken taco. Instead, I use a jar of green salsa verde a package of dry Williams usually chicken taco seasoning. My son loves them.

cabletech94
01-31-2021, 08:03 AM
I do a similar chicken taco. Instead, I use a jar of green salsa verde a package of dry Williams usually chicken taco seasoning. My son loves them.

Oooooooo. I like that verde option!!!! Love the options when it comes to tacos!!!!! Hundreds if not thousands of options!!!!

Zebedee DuBois
01-31-2021, 09:43 AM
What kind of rice?

I was going to make brown rice, but if I used the basmati it would empty the container, and my OCD kicked in.

gblowfish
01-31-2021, 12:12 PM
The Cowboy beans turned out great. They get a little greasy when crocked for several hours as the bacon continues to break down. The flavor was outstanding. Best to serve with a slotted spoon.

Buehler445
01-31-2021, 12:16 PM
The Cowboy beans turned out great. They get a little greasy when crocked for several hours as the bacon continues to break down. The flavor was outstanding. Best to serve with a slotted spoon.

Cook the bacon first? Maybe add 1/3 of the bacon fat?

gblowfish
01-31-2021, 12:21 PM
Cook the bacon first? Maybe add 1/3 of the bacon fat?

I did cook the bacon first. I used the thick cut bacon and I just think it's got a lot of fat in it. Slow cooking for six hours is going to eek out a bunch more fat.

Buehler445
01-31-2021, 12:23 PM
Good to know. Thanks, G.

gblowfish
01-31-2021, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I think on the next batch I'm going to use standard cut bacon and maybe just use a half a package instead of a full package. That would be a good adjustment. Maybe use leaner beef too. Ground Chuck is around 80/20, maybe I'll use the 90/10 next time.

Sorce
01-31-2021, 12:40 PM

Slow cooker for 7 to 8 hours. Shred. Pile together with your favorite taco ingredients. Enjoy!I do a similar recipe in the instant pot, 3 chicken thighs, one breast a cup of broth, taco seasoning and salsa. Shred and return to liquid. Then remove chicken and serve.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ptlyon
01-31-2021, 01:38 PM
Agree on the bacon. Cook the fat out so it's not in the beans and then it also has texture.

bringbackmarty
01-31-2021, 02:53 PM
Stick of butter
2 bricks of cream cheese
2lbs frozen corn.

I'm making this today, gotta sub the pepper jack out for cheddar because my kids are wusses and don't like anything spicy.

Holladay
02-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Welp, going to do the meatballs for a Super Bowl get together!

For the first few games I did my chili and Bang Bang Shrimp. Both turned out great.

I copied and pasted all of the recipes on the thread. I have not tried Crock Pot stuff yet. As I tend to burn water, a crock pot will be of great assistance.

There are some mighty fine cooks on the Planet. Thanks.

Whoops, We are screwed.

Wouldn't be cool to have a "Chiefs Planet" cook book to sell in the KC areaSTFU

Stryker
02-01-2021, 07:42 PM
How bout this one?
Crock Pot Mushrooms:

tablespoon minced garlic
Dash of onion powder

Enjoy!

Been wanting to try this since you first mentioned a while back! Thank you kind sir for the recipe!