PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Plumbing question

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 01:05 PM
I had my house custom built off-site 3 years ago, and one of the disadvantages was not getting to troubleshoot electrical and plumbing during construction.

The entire house inside is PEX, and I have no idea if that’s related to the issue. Every single water outlet functions as expected, but one. The first floor bathroom faucet is barely a trickle and I can’t for the life of me figure out why. Any ideas?

ptlyon
01-29-2021, 01:10 PM
Is there a screen on the faucet? Maybe a cockroach climbed up in there.

dlphg9
01-29-2021, 01:12 PM
Is it plugged in?

FlaChief58
01-29-2021, 01:13 PM
Make sure the shutoff valves are on all the way. If so, remove the aerator and check the screen. While you have it out, turn the faucet on to make sure you have good pressure. If that doesn't take care of it, the supply lines or the cartridge in the faucet may be plugged

Old Dog
01-29-2021, 01:23 PM
You should PM Bob Dole for advice.....Oh wait, never mind.

I second the aerator/screen advice

TLO
01-29-2021, 01:50 PM
Burn the house down and call it a day

Wilson8
01-29-2021, 01:53 PM
Is this a recent problem? Since your home was built 3 years ago, I assume that it worked at one time.

From that same bathroom, does shower or stool seem to have any problem with the water supply?

Do you have a lot of minerals in your water? Checking the screen sounds like a good idea.

ModSocks
01-29-2021, 02:01 PM
I dont know shit about plumbing but my first guess would be a bad water pressure regulator.

srvy
01-29-2021, 02:19 PM
Is this a recent problem? Since your home was built 3 years ago, I assume that it worked at one time.

From that same bathroom, does shower or stool seem to have any problem with the water supply?

Do you have a lot of minerals in your water? Checking the screen sounds like a good idea.

This

Also you said it's been a trickle since moving in. Maybe the plumber didn't flush the line well before installing the faucet. Also the washer could not be seated correctly or is defective. I have had this happen to me before.

ModSocks
01-29-2021, 02:20 PM
Have you checked the blinker fluid?

Scooter LaCanforno
01-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Make sure the shutoff valves are on all the way. If so, remove the aerator and check the screen. While you have it out, turn the faucet on to make sure you have good pressure. If that doesn't take care of it, the supply lines or the cartridge in the faucet may be plugged

^ ^ ^ What he said ^ ^ ^

srvy
01-29-2021, 02:33 PM
One other thing to look at if the quick fixes don't work. See if your water line connections to the faucet are auto-shutoff if pressure drops. Those are nice if a line bursts while out of town to keep from flooding your house. The pressure valves can be finicky causing it to not open correctly causing a low flow.

Are both hot and cold at a slow flow?

If the rest of the house is getting good pressure the water pressure valve is most likely ok. My guess is a restriction at the faucet head or a defective water line hose if its auto shutoff.

ModSocks
01-29-2021, 02:38 PM
Could it be a kinked flex line?

I replaced my water heater last weekend and bought new Stainless lines. I bought them too long though and when i installed them there was a slight kink in the bend and it reduced water flow in my bathroom. Changed them out to a shorter line so no kink and it fixed my bathroom faucet issue.

/shrug

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 03:00 PM
One other thing to look at if the quick fixes don't work. See if your water line connections to the faucet are auto-shutoff if pressure drops. Those are nice if a line bursts while out of town to keep from flooding your house. The pressure valves can be finicky causing it to not open correctly causing a low flow.

Are both hot and cold at a slow flow?

If the rest of the house is getting good pressure the water pressure valve is most likely ok. My guess is a restriction at the faucet head or a defective water line hose if its auto shutoff.

It’s bad on both sides. I think I checked the screen and shutoff valves at the beginning, but I’ll recheck when I get home. I’m afraid there is a kink in the PEX in the wall somewhere.

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 03:08 PM
Is it the hot or the cold?

Does the bath have a bath, does the water work there?

If the cold doesn't work does the toilet flush. of lines?

Do you have access from basement? any visual kinking

If the cold at the sink doesn't work the problem is the shut off or faucet. If the hot doesn't work you will need to test for water at the shut off valves.

I'd get a SS lead and a 5 gal bucket and see if it's supply lines or faucet. Faucet should be warranted. Brand of faucet? one handle or two?

Have you called them?

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 03:32 PM
<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PjbXOSnyMeA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass
01-29-2021, 03:33 PM
It's likely the Fetzer valve.

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 03:44 PM
If it's happening on both the hot and cold, it's probably a problem with the faucet. Some have water saving devices on them that easily get clogged, but they usually can be removed. Do you know what brand the faucet is?

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 04:43 PM
If it's happening on both the hot and cold, it's probably a problem with the faucet. Some have water saving devices on them that easily get clogged, but they usually can be removed. Do you know what brand the faucet is?

I’ll have to look when I get home. It’s the wrong faucet anyway. I have a lavatory in the loft, as well. Every fixture in the main bath is satin nickel...except this faucet. They put the satin nickel one upstairs.

I should probably swap them and see if that fixes it.

01-29-2021, 04:53 PM
I’ll have to look when I get home. It’s the wrong faucet anyway. I have a lavatory in the loft, as well. Every fixture in the main bath is satin nickel...except this faucet. They put the satin nickel one upstairs.

I should probably swap them and see if that fixes it.

Do you have a bidet too?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2021, 04:55 PM
It's as simple as disconnecting your supply lines and put them in a bucket and turn them on to see if you have pressure which you will. Bet $100 the faucet cartridge is plugged.

eDave
01-29-2021, 04:56 PM
This the kind of problem I pay to mitigate.

ChiTown
01-29-2021, 04:57 PM
Do you have a bidet too?

Bob Dole thought it was a water fountain...

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 05:03 PM

I should probably swap them and see if that fixes it.Definitely worth a try if you can maneuver your old ass under there to remove them. If you end up having to replace one, I'd avoid buying from a big box store, even the name brand ones there are cheaply manufactured. Buy a Moen or Delta online from Ferguson.

scho63
01-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Use the Flux Capacitor, go back in time and fix that shit.

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 05:04 PM
It's as simple as disconnecting your supply lines and put them in a bucket and turn them on to see if you have pressure which you will. Bet $100 the faucet cartridge is plugged.I'm not one to tell Bob Dole what to do, but this is actually a better starting point.

Shiver Me Timbers
01-29-2021, 05:28 PM
I'm not one to tell Bob Dole what to do, but this is actually a better starting point.

90% chance it is the faucet if water is flowing free in the rest O the house.
Faucets made these days are plastic, plastic to look like brushed or polished metal and tubes o plastic. Robert- you have a plugged up faucet. Turn the supply off, unhook the lines and run them into a bucket. If it free flows- throw the faucet in the garbage. Or find the exact same model at HD and "exchange"it.

Shiver Me Timbers
01-29-2021, 05:35 PM
One other question kind of off topic-

who built your "built off site" home? Just curious. My inlwaws/outlaws used to own a company (sold it) that build fully framed homes and ships them over the road. They had a crew of 15 people that would coordinate transportation. Highways to county roads back to highways- raise a powerline- move a fence and gate. Had no idea how they acutally managed that. was way before google maps and high speed internet.

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 05:51 PM
90% chance it is the faucet if water is flowing free in the rest O the house.
Faucets made these days are plastic, plastic to look like brushed or polished metal and tubes o plastic. Robert- you have a plugged up faucet. Turn the supply off, unhook the lines and run them into a bucket. If it free flows- throw the faucet in the garbage. Or find the exact same model at HD and "exchange"it.There are high quality faucets out there, but if he didn't specify what he wanted before it was built, then yeah, I'm sure it's cheap builder grade garbage.

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 07:26 PM
One other question kind of off topic-

who built your "built off site" home? Just curious. My inlwaws/outlaws used to own a company (sold it) that build fully framed homes and ships them over the road. They had a crew of 15 people that would coordinate transportation. Highways to county roads back to highways- raise a powerline- move a fence and gate. Had no idea how they acutally managed that. was way before google maps and high speed internet.

The building trades program at the community college built it based on my own design. I paid a regional mover to transport and place it. The highway department actually set the route (which wasn’t how I would have routed it). I watched them load it and pull out, then went and had a couple of beers. I couldn’t bring myself to follow it. I set the 6x6 piers myself. It was an adventure, for sure, but I really enjoy my little place in the woods. No light pollution, plenty of nature. Only 11 miles to town. I built a 16x20 deck on the front, which has been great for live bands at house parties.

Inspector
01-29-2021, 07:34 PM
Almost surely it's the screen on the spigot. Mine clogs frequently due to the hard water in my area.

Unscrew the end, disassemble (ensure you note the order things come apart to make sure you put them back the same.) Clean all the sediment and reassemble. That should do it.

Good luck!

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 07:35 PM
I just had the floor joists, walls, ceiling joists, and roof rafters set on top of a foundation in one day. All prewired, sided, insulated even the roof was set in place with just minimal flashing and trim needed on the outside.

It will be watertight next week but is tarped just in case.

sOne other question kind of off topic-

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 07:41 PM
There are high quality faucets out there, but if he didn't specify what he wanted before it was built, then yeah, I'm sure it's cheap builder grade garbage.

It’s a Delta. I just went and pulled the aerator, which appears to be a little disposable cartridge. I can blow through it in reverse, but not in the direction of flow. It is the problem. Pressure is normal with is removed. I swear I checked that bastard when I first hooked up the water.

Just went and looked and the POS is $12.48 to replace. Wtf? In a $60 faucet.

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 07:44 PM
There are high quality faucets out there, but if he didn't specify what he wanted before it was built, then yeah, I'm sure it's cheap builder grade garbage.

My very first house had name brand fixtures and almost every non remodeled house I have ever bought had Gerber as the lowest quality I have ever seen. This was a spec designed house so Bob Dole got what ever he paid for. even if one was not in the right place.

Bob, Hopefully, you can make things right and get a name brand faucet replaced under warranty. All should be well

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 08:13 PM
My very first house had name brand fixtures and almost every non remodeled house I have ever bought had Gerber as the lowest quality I have ever seen. This was a spec designed house so Bob Dole got what ever he paid for. even if one was not in the right place.

Bob, Hopefully, you can make things right and get a name brand faucet replaced under warranty. All should be well

It’s just the aerator. I don’t get it.I can blow through it in reverse just fine. Direction of flow, almost nothing.

And yeah, I picked it out because it was going on a sink that’s been used maybe 4 times in 2 years. I’m basically the only person that ever goes up in the loft, which doesn’t even have a toilet. Just a chamber pot and a small vanity.

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 08:14 PM
It’s a Delta. I just went and pulled the aerator, which appears to be a little disposable cartridge. I can blow through it in reverse, but not in the direction of flow. It is the problem. Pressure is normal with is removed. I swear I checked that bastard when I first hooked up the water.

Just went and looked and the POS is $12.48 to replace. Wtf? In a $60 faucet.This should work just fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-2-2-GPM-Dual-Thread-PCA-Faucet-Aerator-97195-05/203673068?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

HonestChieffan
01-29-2021, 08:19 PM
throw it away and buy Moen

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 08:21 PM
This should work just fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-2-2-GPM-Dual-Thread-PCA-Faucet-Aerator-97195-05/203673068?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

This is the bad part. Thanks for the lead! Of course, they don’t have it in stock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-2-2-GPM-Regular-Size-SLC-Aerator-Insert-with-Washers-97177-05/203673050

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 08:23 PM
On a related note, if you have really hard water you might want to consider a water softener, it eliminates these types of issues. Our new place has one, and I scoffed at it at first, but after living with it a couple years it's proved to be worth its weight in gold.

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 08:24 PM
This is the bad part. Thanks for the lead! Of course, they don’t have it in stock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NEOPERL-2-2-GPM-Regular-Size-SLC-Aerator-Insert-with-Washers-97177-05/203673050You can pop the insert out of the one I linked and it will look just like that.

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 08:26 PM
You can pop the insert out of the one I linked and it will look just like that.

That’s where we’re at. I’ll just run it without the insert. Fuck it.

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 08:30 PM
If you happen to have any CLR around you could try soaking it overnight.

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 08:31 PM
On a related note, if you have really hard water you might want to consider a water softener, it eliminates these types of issues. Our new place has one, and I scoffed at it at first, but after living with it a couple years it's proved to be worth its weight in gold.

The water (well) isn’t overly hard. It’s a little sandy, so I just flush the water heater every 6 months. Only 20 gallons, so not a big deal. If I got a softener it would have to be an outdoor model. The water heater sits under the wall oven accessible from the back side, so there’s no space.

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 08:31 PM
If you happen to have any CLR around you could try soaking it overnight.

I don’t, but I’ll pick some up next time I’m in town.

ptlyon
01-29-2021, 08:33 PM
Bob's blowing aerators.

HA Ha

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 08:35 PM
The water (well) isn’t overly hard. It’s a little sandy, so I just flush the water heater every 6 months. Only 20 gallons, so not a big deal. If I got a softener it would have to be an outdoor model. The water heater sits under the wall oven accessible from the back side, so there’s no space.Shit, if it's sand then CLR isn't going to help. Seems there should be some kind of way to filter that so it's not destroying all of your plumbing.

srvy
01-29-2021, 09:00 PM

Might try soaking in lime away overnight. I've rescued them a few times that way.

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 09:11 PM
Were there little rocks in the screen? They probably have been there since being installed.

Just clean them and soak in vinegar ever 6 months with the water heater.

**** Moan.

Soft water is a great thing but other than brining systems the price is hefty. I have no knowledge of these but for a small cost they may help.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKZ37hsg/image-2021-01-29-220947.png

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 09:15 PM
Call delta, they should replace it at no charge. If they don't volunteer to replace, bitch a little about your whole house having Delta but this is the only one with an issue,

Delta has been great for me.

Does this unit use a special wrench?

Bob Dole
01-29-2021, 09:22 PM
Shit, if it's sand then CLR isn't going to help. Seems there should be some kind of way to filter that so it's not destroying all of your plumbing.

I just looked and found a sediment pre-filter for around $40. I’d have to do some plumbing gymnastics to install it since it works on gravity. I’m 180’ buried horizontal from the well house then come straight up in to the house to tie in. I’d have to use 4 90s and build a hump so I had a horizontal to install it and then figure out how to insulate it where I could flush the filter.

Have I mentioned I hate plumbing? So bad, in fact, that I have all the parts to put in an outdoor faucet and can’t get motivated to go install the damned thing.

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 09:39 PM
Just pull them, soak them overnight if they need it, and reinstall but I think what you are looking at is overkill for one rarely used faucet. Remove, flush some water, and reinstall and see if you have an issue.

Call Delta!

I just looked and found a sediment pre-filter for around $40. I’d have to do some plumbing gymnastics to install it since it works on gravity. I’m 180’ buried horizontal from the well house then come straight up in to the house to tie in. I’d have to use 4 90s and build a hump so I had a horizontal to install it and then figure out how to insulate it where I could flush the filter.

Have I mentioned I hate plumbing? So bad, in fact, that I have all the parts to put in an outdoor faucet and can’t get motivated to go install the damned thing.

neech
01-29-2021, 09:51 PM

You aren't the only one brother, several times I've tried to do it myself on plumbing projects and end up calling my in-law or a plumber.

I decided to call someone who knows what they are doing to do any plumbing needs around my house years ago and never regretted it.

ptlyon
01-29-2021, 10:02 PM
Call delta, they should replace it at no charge. If they don't volunteer to replace, bitch a little about your whole house having Delta but this is the only one with an issue,

That, and tell them you're Bob Dole

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 10:15 PM

Have I mentioned I hate plumbing? So bad, in fact, that I have all the parts to put in an outdoor faucet and can’t get motivated to go install the damned thing.Ugh. Guess I had assumed it was something that could be installed inside somewhere. I don't mind plumbing on the supply side of things, the truly scary shit is on the waste side. Visiting Bob Dole's shack in the woods is on my bucket list but I wouldn't recommend waiting around for me to show up...it could be a while.

cooper barrett
01-29-2021, 10:27 PM
The rule everyone needs to know about plumbing.

Don't shake hands.

He doesn't need a sediment filter, you need one of those when your pipes are spitting rocks. Just do some PM, clean your screens, and all will be fine.

Ugh. Guess I had assumed it was something that could be installed inside somewhere. I don't mind plumbing on the supply side of things, the truly scary shit is on the waste side. Visiting Bob Dole's shack in the woods is on my bucket list but I wouldn't recommend waiting around for me to show up...it could be a while.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-29-2021, 10:34 PM

CLEAR OUT YOUR IN BOX. HOW THE HELL R WE SUPPOSED TO PM YOU!

ptlyon
01-29-2021, 10:36 PM
PAGING BOB DOLE... CLEAR YOUR BOX. PAGING BOB DOLE...

Bugeater
01-29-2021, 11:02 PM
Oh damn, someone should send him a PM to let him know his PM box is full.

srvy
01-30-2021, 12:29 AM
You aren't the only one brother, several times I've tried to do it myself on plumbing projects and end up calling my in-law or a plumber.

I decided to call someone who knows what they are doing to do any plumbing needs around my house years ago and never regretted it.

Everyone hates plumbing. What I hate more is paying a plumber's prices. They do earn every penny of it.

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 03:16 AM
Ugh. Guess I had assumed it was something that could be installed inside somewhere. I don't mind plumbing on the supply side of things, the truly scary shit is on the waste side. Visiting Bob Dole's shack in the woods is on my bucket list but I wouldn't recommend waiting around for me to show up...it could be a while.

Thankfully there’s only about 12 feet on the waste side and maybe 4 joints. Buried the tank right next to the side of the house.

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 03:18 AM
The rule everyone needs to know about plumbing.

Don't shake hands.

He doesn't need a sediment filter, you need one of those when your pipes are spitting rocks. Just do some PM, clean your screens, and all will be fine.

There is sediment coming from the well. If I could eliminate it before it got inside, my PM would be a lot easier.

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 03:21 AM
PAGING BOB DOLE... CLEAR YOUR BOX. PAGING BOB DOLE...

I just emptied the 3000+ messages. lol

cooper barrett
01-30-2021, 07:15 AM
Is it true that shit flows downhill?

D.A.P.
01-30-2021, 08:11 AM
It’s all ball bearings.

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 08:20 AM
Is it true that shit flows downhill?

It is, but there is a careful balance between too fast and too slow.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-30-2021, 08:30 AM
I just emptied the 3000+ messages. lol

PM Sent!
:thumb:

cooper barrett
01-30-2021, 08:52 AM
"Riding the wave"

It is, but there is a careful balance between too fast and too slow.