PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Boulevard Beer and Female Employees

gblowfish
01-30-2021, 11:09 AM
Big shakeup at Boulevard. Some execs resigned because of company culture of treating women badly, especially about pregnancy issues. The founder is coming out of retirement to run the company for awhile until things get straightened out. Problems didn't start until after the Belgians bought it out and the suits started running the joint. I hope they get it all fixed up. I don't want to lose my Tank 7 on Bob's 47 or Wheat Beer. Very fond of all of them!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/boulevard-brewing-company-responds-to-harassment-allegations.654259/

KCUnited
01-30-2021, 11:16 AM
Been monitoring for a few days now

Disappointing to hear

RockChalk
01-30-2021, 11:22 AM
Have a friend who was a brewer there and she ended up quitting because of the harassment and poor treatment by her boss after she got pregnant. She’s never told us much more than that. Not surprised at any of this though. Hopefully they McDonald can come in there and clean house.

Eureka
01-30-2021, 11:24 AM
Harassment in the workplace sucks. It comes in many forms and should not be tolerated.

Prison Bitch
01-30-2021, 11:32 AM
The hiring manager told me he wouldn’t hire women because they are lazy.

Yeah, sure. Lulz.

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 11:36 AM
Meh...I love their beers, especially the smokestack series, but they're getting awful damn proud of them anymore with their asking prices. Probably wouldn't miss them if they went belly up (they won't though).

joethomas
01-30-2021, 11:37 AM
I can't understand who these idiots are in this day and age who are openly harassing women in their workplace. Even apart from it being a POS thing to do, you know you're going to be branded for life at that company if anyone so much as makes an accusation toward you. Most places you're likely to just be let go for not being worth the risk. You should be fired just because there's no way your boss can trust your judgement if you're that stupid

gblowfish
01-30-2021, 11:45 AM
John McDonald the founder is by all accounts a stand up decent guy. He was still on the board of the Belgian Company that bought them out maybe 10 years ago. He lives just a few blocks away from the Brewery. They asked him to come in and oversee things for awhile until this all gets straightened up. I hope he brings some common sense and sanity back into the business side. I hated to see this story. Not only for the bad treatment of the women who work there, but because Boulevard has been a big KC success story. I really enjoy their beers, and would hate to see consumer backlash put them out of business. I think they're too big to fail, but they definitely need to get this under control. It's also surprising because Boulevard is involved with just about every major charity event in KC. They've been seen up until now as good Corporate Stewards.

Bowser
01-30-2021, 11:59 AM
They should have never sold out to the Belgians. When your bosses are half a world away and just look at profit reports, things might tend to get "overlooked" as long as the profitability stays within accepted norms?

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 12:05 PM
They should have never sold out to the Belgians. When your bosses are half a world away and just look at profit reports, things might tend to get "overlooked" as long as the profitability stays within accepted norms?You're phrasing that as a question?

Bowser
01-30-2021, 12:06 PM
You're phrasing that as a question?

In a completely rhetorical fashion, n00b mod. :)

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 12:11 PM
In a completely rhetorical fashion, n00b mod. :)vBulletin message: You cannot ban another moderator from a thread

:cuss:

Spott
01-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Don’t make me pull this car over, n00b mods.

Bowser
01-30-2021, 12:14 PM
vBulletin message: You cannot ban another moderator from a thread

:cuss:

LMAO

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/08/no-power.gif

stevieray
01-30-2021, 12:26 PM
I've met John Mc Donald a few times, I primed and sealed the wall across the from the Brewery for a big Boulevard mural(where the Royals mural is now..), and then he sold it to the Belgians...:deevee:

I have no doubt he'll nip this in the bud.

Discuss Thrower
01-30-2021, 01:01 PM
Make Boulevard and Stockyard switch brewing facilities.

BWillie
01-30-2021, 01:03 PM
If they get maternity leave, then I get paternity leave. Or pet leave if Im childless and decide to buy a cat or dog or hamster.

mililo4cpa
01-30-2021, 01:09 PM
on a separate but related note: when I came to Orlando at the end of 2017, I could get Boulevard Wheat in bottles at Total Wine, and I'd buy up the entire lot. I was even trying to obtain a keg for my kegerator at home, but could live with the bottles....

Slowly, the bottles started going away, and could only get cans.....then ultimately the cans went away

They have several other Boulevard varieties, including Tank 7 and Calling IPA, so I know that Blvd is still distributed here....but no wheat now for a couple years....

I blame the Belgians

rabblerouser
01-30-2021, 01:48 PM
If they get maternity leave, then I get paternity leave. Or pet leave if Im childless and decide to buy a cat or dog or hamster.

Well, that or you just pay me more because I'm not going to take maternity/paternity leave...

Eureka
01-30-2021, 01:52 PM
If they get maternity leave, then I get paternity leave..

I received 8 weeks paid of paternity leave from my employer & the state of CA this past summer.

No women boss's sexually harassed me about it though.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-30-2021, 01:53 PM
Meh...not much loss if they belly up

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 02:01 PM
If they get maternity leave, then I get paternity leave. Or pet leave if Im childless and decide to buy a cat or dog or hamster.They? You are aware one of "them" carried your ungrateful ass around for 9 months and then subsequently destroyed their vagina squeezing you out?

neech
01-30-2021, 02:01 PM
My boss stood me and another female employee up in the lab, in front of another coworker, and demanded to know if we were pregnant. When we refused to answer, he told the other woman “the only way you could be pregnant is by your cat”.

The good news is she has a witness to the conversation, lawyer time.

Eureka
01-30-2021, 02:03 PM
They? You are aware one of "them" carried your ungrateful ass around for 9 months and then destroyed their vagina squeezing you out?

Hey hey hey now. Let's not overlook the fathers 5 minute contribution. :harumph: Probably even worked up a sweat during that time frame.

Molitoth
01-30-2021, 02:04 PM
Meh...not much loss if they belly up

eff off.

We are blessed to have an amazing brewery like Boulevard in our town to supply good beers, and jobs.

Sorry your taste in beer sucks.

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 02:07 PM
Hey hey hey now. Let's not overlook the fathers 5 minute contribution. :harumph: Probably even worked up a sweat during that time frame.5 minutes??? You trying to set some kind of record?

Pasta Little Brioni
01-30-2021, 02:13 PM
eff off.

We are blessed to have an amazing brewery like Boulevard in our town to supply good beers, and jobs.

Sorry your taste in beer sucks.

Great example for the community and a meh product

Buehler445
01-30-2021, 02:20 PM
That sucks.

I don’t know the statistics but that probably amounts to quite a few jobs.

I can't understand who these idiots are in this day and age who are openly harassing women in their workplace. Even apart from it being a POS thing to do, you know you're going to be branded for life at that company if anyone so much as makes an accusation toward you. Most places you're likely to just be let go for not being worth the risk. You should be fired just because there's no way your boss can trust your judgement if you're that stupid

Some people are just complete garbage at life and have somehow managed to fail upwards. I have a buddy that was the CFO at a $100M company. He told me his boss (CEO) is garbage. I was like, “fuck off, no way a dude can be responsible for $100M in sales and be garbage.” Then he told me a bunch of stuff he maybe shouldn’t have, but yeah, positions that should require a baseline competency can be filled by guys that aren’t good at anything.

Dude was bad at a lot of stuff beyond just being a sexist asshole, but he was that too. My buddy hired a gal for the HR position. She, as part of her job, was outspoken about deficiencies in their protocols.

I’m not shitting, fuckhead CEO said the words, “I wish she’d know her gender role.” When my buddy shared that one I was dumbfounded. I asked him what the fuck is a gender role? After some discussion we decided he made it up, but we guessed that to him that meant look pretty and make sandwiches. I was appalled. I knew the gal, she was competent and professional. He’s just shit. And he was running (albeit poorly) a $100M company, and was 60 and been in professional jobs his whole life.

If I plant too close to the road ditch it seems like the whole fucking county has to tell me about it, but this guy can make a career out of doing nothing well while being an asshole every day of every year.

GloucesterChief
01-30-2021, 02:32 PM
That sucks.

Some people are just complete garbage at life and have somehow managed to fail upwards. I have a buddy that was the CFO at a $100M company. He told me his boss (CEO) is garbage. I was like, “**** off, no way a dude can be responsible for $100M in sales and be garbage.” Then he told me a bunch of stuff he maybe shouldn’t have, but yeah, positions that should require a baseline competency can be filled by guys that aren’t good at anything.

Dude was bad at a lot of stuff beyond just being a sexist asshole, but he was that too. My buddy hired a gal for the HR position. She, as part of her job, was outspoken about deficiencies in their protocols.

I’m not shitting, ****head CEO said the words, “I wish she’d know her gender role.” When my buddy shared that one I was dumbfounded. I asked him what the **** is a gender role? After some discussion we decided he made it up, but we guessed that to him that meant look pretty and make sandwiches. I was appalled. I knew the gal, she was competent and professional. He’s just shit. And he was running (albeit poorly) a $100M company, and was 60 and been in professional jobs his whole life.

If I plant too close to the road ditch it seems like the whole ****ing county has to tell me about it, but this guy can make a career out of doing nothing well while being an asshole every day of every year.

Probably has to do with employment law. Companies are loathe to say anything but this person worked here for this long with this title. So the hiring company just has to assume they are competent if they worked at x level for x amount of time.

Now if companies could say 'this person worked here for x amount time but we shit canned them as soon as it was remotely feasible because the person in question was an incompetent boob' things way be different.

Spott
01-30-2021, 02:36 PM
on a separate but related note: when I came to Orlando at the end of 2017, I could get Boulevard Wheat in bottles at Total Wine, and I'd buy up the entire lot. I was even trying to obtain a keg for my kegerator at home, but could live with the bottles....

Slowly, the bottles started going away, and could only get cans.....then ultimately the cans went away

They have several other Boulevard varieties, including Tank 7 and Calling IPA, so I know that Blvd is still distributed here....but no wheat now for a couple years....

I blame the Belgians

Totally off topic, but if you go to the Fresh Market on Mills, they carry Gates and Jack Stack BBQ sauce. I haven’t looked for Boulevard beer there, but I will the next time I’m there.

Titty Meat
01-30-2021, 03:01 PM
They? You are aware one of "them" carried your ungrateful ass around for 9 months and then subsequently destroyed their vagina squeezing you out?

Well its debatable what destroyed the vagina first when you're talking about girth gods like Busby and Lewdog

srvy
01-30-2021, 03:15 PM
That sucks.

Some people are just complete garbage at life and have somehow managed to fail upwards. I have a buddy that was the CFO at a $100M company. He told me his boss (CEO) is garbage. I was like, “fuck off, no way a dude can be responsible for $100M in sales and be garbage.” Then he told me a bunch of stuff he maybe shouldn’t have, but yeah, positions that should require a baseline competency can be filled by guys that aren’t good at anything.

I’m not shitting, fuckhead CEO said the words, “I wish she’d know her gender role.” When my buddy shared that one I was dumbfounded. I asked him what the fuck is a gender role? After some discussion we decided he made it up, but we guessed that to him that meant look pretty and make sandwiches. I was appalled. I knew the gal, she was competent and professional. He’s just shit. And he was running (albeit poorly) a $100M company, and was 60 and been in professional jobs his whole life.

If I plant too close to the road ditch it seems like the whole fucking county has to tell me about it, but this guy can make a career out of doing nothing well while being an asshole every day of every year.

Just tell them you're stabilizing that ditch bank.

BWillie
01-30-2021, 04:01 PM
I assume that thing looks like this when they have kids? https://www.cookingclassy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/lasagna15-768x512.jpg

]They? You are aware one of "them" carried your ungrateful ass around for 9 months and then subsequently destroyed their vagina squeezing you out?

Demonpenz
01-30-2021, 05:25 PM
Westport flea market burgers BLVD beer and Western auto sign are low key retarded

Titty Meat
01-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Westport flea market burgers BLVD beer and Western auto sign are low key retarded

I prefer the sonic/aldi on 87th and the lenexa city center

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 06:04 PM
I assume that thing looks like this when they have kids? https://www.cookingclassy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/lasagna15-768x512.jpg

I've seen worse. :shrug:

ghak99
01-30-2021, 06:05 PM
I hope he brings back 80 acre after he kicks those Belgians in the nutz.

EPodolak
01-30-2021, 08:01 PM
https://untappd.akamaized.net/photo/2017_04_22/5ac2ed837c144d0b6c66382fff125651_320x320.jpeg

Rain Man
01-30-2021, 08:03 PM

Some people are just complete garbage at life and have somehow managed to fail upwards. I have a buddy that was the CFO at a $100M company. He told me his boss (CEO) is garbage. I was like, “**** off, no way a dude can be responsible for $100M in sales and be garbage.” Then he told me a bunch of stuff he maybe shouldn’t have, but yeah, positions that should require a baseline competency can be filled by guys that aren’t good at anything.

I’m not shitting, ****head CEO said the words, “I wish she’d know her gender role.” When my buddy shared that one I was dumbfounded. I asked him what the **** is a gender role? After some discussion we decided he made it up, but we guessed that to him that meant look pretty and make sandwiches. I was appalled. I knew the gal, she was competent and professional. He’s just shit. And he was running (albeit poorly) a $100M company, and was 60 and been in professional jobs his whole life.

If I plant too close to the road ditch it seems like the whole ****ing county has to tell me about it, but this guy can make a career out of doing nothing well while being an asshole every day of every year.

I generally assume that businesses have their act together on culture in the modern legal environment, because it's not hard to do and there are significant legal risks to not do it. But I guess that's not correct.

I know a person (female) who went to work at a large automobile dealership not long ago. She said that culture was abominable. People would make crude jokes, they'd make fun of customers behind their back, and all sorts of negative stuff. She was there about six months and saw that the organization was promoting and protecting those people, so she bailed. The organization was making a choice about what they valued, I guess, but I have no idea how a company makes that choice in the 21st century.

Demonpenz
01-30-2021, 08:41 PM
I prefer the sonic/aldi on 87th and the lenexa city center

There are two giant companies there

Titty Meat
01-30-2021, 08:48 PM
There are two giant companies there

Wanna grab a drink at Cronins and you can teach me how to approach women?

Bugeater
01-30-2021, 09:02 PM
Wanna grab a drink at Cronins and you can teach me how to approach women?All that's going to get you is a restraining order, if not two.