PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Steve DeBerg still the oldest Oldest QB to start an NFL game. But Brady is closing...

Deberg_1990
01-30-2021, 01:02 PM
I had forgotten DeBerg had started a game for the Falcons when he was nearly 45.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/01/30/super-bowl-55-tom-brady-rekindles-memories-old-bucs-and-chiefs-qb/4315255001/

Steve DeBerg has done the math on Tom Brady’s age.

The former NFL quarterback knows that Brady, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback, doesn’t turn 44 until August.

DeBerg also knows that an NFL record is at risk – his own for being the oldest QB ever to start a game, a record he set on Oct. 25, 1998, when DeBerg’s age was 44 years and 279 days.

So if Brady is going to break DeBerg’s record, Brady will need to start at least one game beyond next year’s Super Bowl, no sooner than the start of the regular season in September 2022, when Brady will be 45.

DeBerg, now 67, even discussed the matter during a golf outing before the season with Tampa Bay head coach Bruce Arians.

“I mentioned to him that Brady needs to win the Super Bowl the next two years,” DeBerg told USA TODAY Sports recently as Brady and Arians prepared to lead the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl against Kansas City Feb. 7.

“I like the way you think,” Arians replied, according to DeBerg.

“It’s kind of selfish,” DeBerg told him. “Because if you win the Super Bowl the next two years, I think Brady will probably retire, and he won’t break my record.”

It was worth a chuckle at the time, but then things got weird. Cosmic forces seemed to align and turn back the clock on DeBerg.

Not only did part of his wish come true with a Super Bowl berth for Brady and Tampa Bay, but the game will be in Tampa, the first time a team will play a Super Bowl in its home stadium. And home is still Tampa for DeBerg, who is having a senior moment as the former starting QB of both Super Bowl teams – the Bucs and Chiefs.

He played for Tampa Bay (1984-87), then Kansas City (1988-1991), and then Tampa again (1992-93), setting up a whirlwind tour of old times for DeBerg since November, when he watched the Chiefs beat the Bucs in Tampa 27-24.

An old friend even had come to town to visit on Thanksgiving weekend: former Chiefs running back Christian Okoye, DeBerg’s former Chiefs teammate. Their running backs coach back then in Kansas City was Arians, now 68, then in his late 30s.

“We went to the game together,” DeBerg said of Okoye. “I remember telling him, 'I’m predicting this is a preview of the Super Bowl.’ It was wishful thinking at the time.”

Now it’s real, with old man Brady playing an unusual role on a Super Bowl team, much like DeBerg did in 1998 – a player-coach who was old enough to be the father of many of his teammates.

One big difference between them is how they got there. Brady, 43, has played in 20 straight seasons since 2000, all of them in New England until this season. By contrast, in the summer of 1998, DeBerg hadn’t played in the NFL since 1993 and even had started a career in coaching as an assistant in 1995-96 under then-New York Giants head coach Dan Reeves.

He wasn’t in the greatest shape back then. But he had a goal: He wanted to be a player-coach as a third-string quarterback, even if it meant he never stepped on the field.

So he sent out letters to select teams, including the Atlanta Falcons, where Reeves was head coach. He asked for a tryout, got one with Atlanta and eventually made the team as a backup behind starter Chris Chandler.

Then Chandler got injured and couldn’t play. In stepped DeBerg to start against the New York Jets, the game in which he set the age record. The Falcons lost 28-3, one of only three losses that season for Atlanta, including the Super Bowl against Denver in January 1999.

“He was such a calming positive influence to me,” Chandler told USA TODAY Sports. Coming off the field during games, Chandler said sometimes he would be upset about the game. DeBerg would see him on the sideline and say, “You’re fine. Relax.”

At the time, Chandler was 33 and a veteran himself after 10 seasons in the league.

“When you have a guy that has been in the league so long, he kind of commanded respect, because he’s been through the wars,” said Chandler, now retired and living in St. George, Utah. “He was the funniest guy as well.”

Asked for an example of his humor, Chandler said, “You probably can’t print any of it.”

DeBerg’s body still got shocked.

“I remember one game I think we almost got him killed,” said Bob Whitfield, one of DeBerg’s blockers in that game for Atlanta. He believes it was the Jets game.

“He had to come in, and he caught a vicious hit, woo-eee!” Whitfield told USA TODAY Sports. “Somebody missed a blitz pickup, but he got up, wounded. But he got up. That’s saying something.”

Whitfield remembers DeBerg took his share of teasing for being old. DeBerg lapped it up.

“It was an awesome experience, especially helping some of the receivers and some of the young players on the team, encouraging them and trying to help them with suggestions,” said DeBerg, who played in eight games that season including his one start. “The team really blossomed and had a magical year.”

Reeves has said that was the role he wanted DeBerg to play for that team. Arians has said the same about Brady, calling him “another coach.”

DeBerg 'can't lose' in this Super Bowl

This will be Brady’s third Super Bowl since turning 40, an unprecedented feat. But DeBerg is still the oldest player to be on a Super Bowl roster at 45 years, 12 days. Though DeBerg didn’t play in that Super Bowl with Atlanta against Denver, he suited up for it, and it’s still a career highlight.

Before that, his career had been marked by two decades of durability, a footnote stop in Denver, lots of losses in Tampa and a rebound in Kansas City.

“He’s a better player than he got credit for,” Chandler said.

After starting his pro career in San Francisco from 1978-80, he played under Reeves in Denver from 1981-83, paving the way for quarterback John Elway’s arrival there in 1984.

Then came Tampa, where he wore those classic creamsicle orange and white Bucs uniforms but had little success until after he was traded to Kansas City in March 1988. That’s where he helped lead the Chiefs to the playoffs twice, in 1990 and 1991, before finishing there with a starting record of 31-20-1.

He then returned to Tampa as a free agent for his final stint with the Bucs in 1992-93, where he served as a backup to Vinny Testaverde and Craig Erickson. His record as a starter in Tampa was 8-29 over six seasons.

Nearly 30 years later, he is retired with two children and two grandchildren. He plans to watch the big game with his family at home, where is rooting interest has been smartly considered.

“I’m going to wear a Buccaneers shirt and a Chiefs shirt and a Buccaneers hat and a Chiefs hat and whoever’s on offense I’ll wear that outfit,” he said. “I can’t lose. I really have a good relationship with both organizations.”

Despite what he told Arians before the season, DeBerg also said he’d be fine with Brady breaking his age record. His only advice to him is to stay healthy and don’t get injured.

“He’s the greatest of all time,” DeBerg said. “If somebody’s going to break your record, that’s the guy.”

Beef Supreme
01-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Deberg Inception

BryanBusby
01-30-2021, 01:14 PM
Falcons are all about that 28-3

KChiefs1
01-30-2021, 01:33 PM
I had forgotten DeBerg had started a game for the Falcons when he was nearly 45.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/01/30/super-bowl-55-tom-brady-rekindles-memories-old-bucs-and-chiefs-qb/4315255001/

Steve DeBerg has done the math on Tom Brady’s age.

The former NFL quarterback knows that Brady, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback, doesn’t turn 44 until August.

DeBerg also knows that an NFL record is at risk – his own for being the oldest QB ever to start a game, a record he set on Oct. 25, 1998, when DeBerg’s age was 44 years and 279 days.

So if Brady is going to break DeBerg’s record, Brady will need to start at least one game beyond next year’s Super Bowl, no sooner than the start of the regular season in September 2022, when Brady will be 45.

DeBerg, now 67, even discussed the matter during a golf outing before the season with Tampa Bay head coach Bruce Arians.

“I mentioned to him that Brady needs to win the Super Bowl the next two years,” DeBerg told USA TODAY Sports recently as Brady and Arians prepared to lead the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl against Kansas City Feb. 7.

“I like the way you think,” Arians replied, according to DeBerg.

“It’s kind of selfish,” DeBerg told him. “Because if you win the Super Bowl the next two years, I think Brady will probably retire, and he won’t break my record.”

It was worth a chuckle at the time, but then things got weird. Cosmic forces seemed to align and turn back the clock on DeBerg.

Not only did part of his wish come true with a Super Bowl berth for Brady and Tampa Bay, but the game will be in Tampa, the first time a team will play a Super Bowl in its home stadium. And home is still Tampa for DeBerg, who is having a senior moment as the former starting QB of both Super Bowl teams – the Bucs and Chiefs.

He played for Tampa Bay (1984-87), then Kansas City (1988-1991), and then Tampa again (1992-93), setting up a whirlwind tour of old times for DeBerg since November, when he watched the Chiefs beat the Bucs in Tampa 27-24.

An old friend even had come to town to visit on Thanksgiving weekend: former Chiefs running back Christian Okoye, DeBerg’s former Chiefs teammate. Their running backs coach back then in Kansas City was Arians, now 68, then in his late 30s.

“We went to the game together,” DeBerg said of Okoye. “I remember telling him, 'I’m predicting this is a preview of the Super Bowl.’ It was wishful thinking at the time.”

Now it’s real, with old man Brady playing an unusual role on a Super Bowl team, much like DeBerg did in 1998 – a player-coach who was old enough to be the father of many of his teammates.

One big difference between them is how they got there. Brady, 43, has played in 20 straight seasons since 2000, all of them in New England until this season. By contrast, in the summer of 1998, DeBerg hadn’t played in the NFL since 1993 and even had started a career in coaching as an assistant in 1995-96 under then-New York Giants head coach Dan Reeves.

He wasn’t in the greatest shape back then. But he had a goal: He wanted to be a player-coach as a third-string quarterback, even if it meant he never stepped on the field.

So he sent out letters to select teams, including the Atlanta Falcons, where Reeves was head coach. He asked for a tryout, got one with Atlanta and eventually made the team as a backup behind starter Chris Chandler.

Then Chandler got injured and couldn’t play. In stepped DeBerg to start against the New York Jets, the game in which he set the age record. The Falcons lost 28-3, one of only three losses that season for Atlanta, including the Super Bowl against Denver in January 1999.

“He was such a calming positive influence to me,” Chandler told USA TODAY Sports. Coming off the field during games, Chandler said sometimes he would be upset about the game. DeBerg would see him on the sideline and say, “You’re fine. Relax.”

At the time, Chandler was 33 and a veteran himself after 10 seasons in the league.

“When you have a guy that has been in the league so long, he kind of commanded respect, because he’s been through the wars,” said Chandler, now retired and living in St. George, Utah. “He was the funniest guy as well.”

Asked for an example of his humor, Chandler said, “You probably can’t print any of it.”

DeBerg’s body still got shocked.

“I remember one game I think we almost got him killed,” said Bob Whitfield, one of DeBerg’s blockers in that game for Atlanta. He believes it was the Jets game.

“He had to come in, and he caught a vicious hit, woo-eee!” Whitfield told USA TODAY Sports. “Somebody missed a blitz pickup, but he got up, wounded. But he got up. That’s saying something.”

Whitfield remembers DeBerg took his share of teasing for being old. DeBerg lapped it up.

“It was an awesome experience, especially helping some of the receivers and some of the young players on the team, encouraging them and trying to help them with suggestions,” said DeBerg, who played in eight games that season including his one start. “The team really blossomed and had a magical year.”

Reeves has said that was the role he wanted DeBerg to play for that team. Arians has said the same about Brady, calling him “another coach.”

DeBerg 'can't lose' in this Super Bowl

This will be Brady’s third Super Bowl since turning 40, an unprecedented feat. But DeBerg is still the oldest player to be on a Super Bowl roster at 45 years, 12 days. Though DeBerg didn’t play in that Super Bowl with Atlanta against Denver, he suited up for it, and it’s still a career highlight.

Before that, his career had been marked by two decades of durability, a footnote stop in Denver, lots of losses in Tampa and a rebound in Kansas City.

“He’s a better player than he got credit for,” Chandler said.

After starting his pro career in San Francisco from 1978-80, he played under Reeves in Denver from 1981-83, paving the way for quarterback John Elway’s arrival there in 1984.

Then came Tampa, where he wore those classic creamsicle orange and white Bucs uniforms but had little success until after he was traded to Kansas City in March 1988. That’s where he helped lead the Chiefs to the playoffs twice, in 1990 and 1991, before finishing there with a starting record of 31-20-1.

He then returned to Tampa as a free agent for his final stint with the Bucs in 1992-93, where he served as a backup to Vinny Testaverde and Craig Erickson. His record as a starter in Tampa was 8-29 over six seasons.

Nearly 30 years later, he is retired with two children and two grandchildren. He plans to watch the big game with his family at home, where is rooting interest has been smartly considered.

“I’m going to wear a Buccaneers shirt and a Chiefs shirt and a Buccaneers hat and a Chiefs hat and whoever’s on offense I’ll wear that outfit,” he said. “I can’t lose. I really have a good relationship with both organizations.”

Despite what he told Arians before the season, DeBerg also said he’d be fine with Brady breaking his age record. His only advice to him is to stay healthy and don’t get injured.

“He’s the greatest of all time,” DeBerg said. “If somebody’s going to break your record, that’s the guy.”

Atlanta ruined what could have been one of the all-time great Super Bowl games in 1998. Vikings vs Donkos would have been great.

rabblerouser
01-30-2021, 01:42 PM
Falcons are all about that 28-3

Ouch

rabblerouser
01-30-2021, 01:43 PM
Atlanta ruined what could have been one of the all-time great Super Bowl games in 1998. Vikings vs Donkos would have been great.

Yuuuuuuuuup.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-30-2021, 01:50 PM
I'd rather deberg start on Sunday than read another one of your God damned threads

Deberg_1990
01-30-2021, 01:52 PM

Eugene Robinson?

Hammock Parties
01-30-2021, 01:53 PM
Chris Jones will eat his ACL, thus preserving Deberg's record.

TLO
01-30-2021, 02:02 PM
TOM BRADY IS OLD..

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 03:47 PM
So George Blanda didn’t start any games his last 3 seasons?

Bowser
01-30-2021, 03:54 PM
I'm having a hard time reconciling Steve DeBerg being 67

golfindude
01-30-2021, 03:59 PM
I don't think they had a SB then but how old
was George Blanda when he QB the raiders ?

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 04:12 PM

He was 48 his final season.

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 04:13 PM

His final season was 1975.

PurpleJesus28
01-30-2021, 04:36 PM

Randy and I agree.

https://media.giphy.com/media/7j19MXXwqr0ZO/giphy.gif

prhom
01-30-2021, 05:17 PM
I'm having a hard time reconciling Steve DeBerg being 67

Yeah, me too. For me, I think it’s because I started following the Chiefs in 1989 when I was 8. A lot of those players from that time still aren’t that old, but I see now that he had already been in the league for a loooong time at that point. Most guys that old were already done playing but he still had a lot of years left! Lol!

I always like him and was amused by the fact that he had the best play action fake in the league. He was a master of it. Of course he had to be, because he didn’t have many other things he was great at, but as a kid I was easily impressed.

The current chiefs have come a long way from the chiefs teams of that era.

PurpleJesus28
01-30-2021, 05:49 PM
Yeah, me too. For me, I think it’s because I started following the Chiefs in 1989 when I was 8. A lot of those players from that time still aren’t that old, but I see now that he had already been in the league for a loooong time at that point. Most guys that old were already done playing but he still had a lot of years left! Lol!

I always like him and was amused by the fact that he had the best play action fake in the league. He was a master of it. Of course he had to be, because he didn’t have many other things he was great at, but as a kid I was easily impressed.

The current chiefs have come a long way from the chiefs teams of that era.

What i remember most about DeBerg playing here,was his leg hike he would do,and when he had the broken pinky.

rabblerouser
01-30-2021, 06:05 PM
What i remember most about DeBerg playing here,was his leg hike he would do,and when he had the broken pinky.

Pinky Play-Action!!

It impressed me as youngster watching DeBerg operate out the shotgun with that pinky...

PurpleJesus28
01-30-2021, 06:10 PM
Pinky Play-Action!!

It impressed me as youngster watching DeBerg operate out the shotgun with that pinky...

I imitated him a time or 2 haha.Not to mention they played on that astroturf.

rabblerouser
01-30-2021, 06:15 PM
I imitated him a time or 2 haha.Not to mention they played on that astroturf.

*What are your biggest memories of the 80s?*

As if the Cold War, Reaganomics, lawn darts, and astroturf aren't scary enough, I had to watch this guy heave an oblong air-filled pigskin through the air with a gin pin stuck through his pinky.

"Don't be a pussy" isn't just a statement.

Rain Man
01-30-2021, 08:21 PM
So George Blanda didn’t start any games his last 3 seasons?

That was my initial reaction, but it looks like his last quarterback start was when he was 41. He threw passes up to the age of 48, but apparently not as a starter.

Oh, and screw Blanda. Stupid Raider.

HemiEd
01-30-2021, 09:15 PM
That was my initial reaction, but it looks like his last quarterback start was when he was 41. He threw passes up to the age of 48, but apparently not as a starter.

Oh, and screw Blanda. Stupid Raider.

If I am not having a brain fart, he was a kicker his last few years. Right?

Rain Man
01-30-2021, 09:27 PM
If I am not having a brain fart, he was a kicker his last few years. Right?

Yeah, he was a kicker and backup QB. For some reason I thought I saw him starting games when I was a kid in about 1972, but maybe not.

Bob Dole
01-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Pinky Play-Action!!

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fexternal-preview.redd.it%2FXETntZHlZTa6y70cqO1jdVBrGUPgx8PbyhaTN64j4X0.jpg%3Fauto%3Dwebp%26s%3D6187d9cc3606d6 36a77a9a3a656263d70c58ff3f&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FKansasCityChiefs%2Fcomments%2Ff4cszd%2Fwhos_old_enough_ to_remember_this_icon_of_kansas%2F&tbnid=NmXlkbXnRFwjTM&vet=1&docid=axW8ivEe7ZDKEM&w=269&h=238&hl=en-us&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

I recall a photo of it unwrapped.

HemiEd
01-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Yeah, he was a kicker and backup QB. For some reason I thought I saw him starting games when I was a kid in about 1972, but maybe not.
I only remember him as a kicker for the team I despised and hated it every time I saw him come out for a kick.

Been a long time ago and memories of the Raiders are shaded by hate, but I am starting to remember him at QB some, probably around the 72 you mention. Mostly Kenny Stabler and Daryle Lamonica though

lwardo9
01-30-2021, 10:44 PM
wonder what the odds are for him to go all the way next season?

lower than chance of injury? must be some big free agents looking to join him in the sun/tax haven