PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs **** The Star

comochiefsfan
02-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Worthless trash rag. Thought i'd see more of this garbage this week, but in reality the only story i've seen regarding name and imagery is from KC's own local newspaper.

Never seen a local paper hate a team they cover more than the Star hates the Chiefs.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article248955689.html

"Like most Kansas Citians, we wish the best of luck Sunday to the Chiefs, who will compete in their second straight Super Bowl.

The team won last year. We like their chances this year.

Millions of casual football fans will watch the game. Some of those viewers will be perplexed, perhaps even frustrated, by the team’s continued use of Native American imagery — the name, the arrowhead on the helmet, the troubling tomahawk chop and the crude chant that goes with it.

These gestures, and others like them, are clearly and appropriately endangered. Since the Chiefs last won the Super Bowl, the Washington Football Team dropped its offensive nickname, after resisting a change for decades.

Last December, the Cleveland Indians, a major league baseball team, announced plans for a new name.

Less than two weeks ago, the Shawnee Mission School District decided inappropriate mascot names will be prohibited. Students at Shawnee Mission North and a handful of other schools will soon cheer for their teams in a different way.

“It feels historic to me,” one school board member said, and she’s right. It also feels long overdue.

The Chiefs might have joined this list. To their credit, the team made minor changes this season, and continued their dialogue with Native American groups and other interested parties about the use of imagery. But the Chiefs did not even take the important interim step of banning the offensive chop, or reconsider the team’s name.

Kansas Citians are well aware of this controversy. Most have taken positions on the name, for it or against it. We’ve implored the team several times to consider how history will judge its continued use of the imagery, and asked leadership to think again. They haven’t taken that advice.

But the Super Bowl will put the Chiefs’ decisions front and center, for tens of millions of football fans. For those fans, a message: Many Kansas Citians will cringe along with you when spectators do the chop.

We embrace the team’s on-field success, but don’t think a corrosive chant has much to do with it.

It isn’t fair to ask groups offended by these symbols to wait even longer for change.

Some day, the Chiefs will change their name. It’s inevitable. That day may be 20 years from now, or next week. But it will happen, and the team — and our region — will be better for it."

Marcellus
02-03-2021, 02:27 PM
:facepalm:

I cant wait until that shit show of a rag is out of business.

Direckshun
02-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Just want to be clear,

Thinking the name "Chiefs" is culturally inappropriate and may need to be changed = hating the Kansas City Chiefs?

I just want to make sure we've got the rules here, because they sound suspiciously grade schoolish.

Indian Chief
02-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Prediction: they fold before the Chiefs change their name

Deberg_1990
02-03-2021, 02:29 PM
A corrosive chant. :facepalm:

No one is going to cringe watching the chant. Give me a break.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-03-2021, 02:29 PM
The TP shortage went to their heads

comochiefsfan
02-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Just want to be clear,

Thinking the name "Chiefs" is culturally inappropriate and may need to be changed = hating the Kansas City Chiefs?

I just want to make sure we've got the rules here, because they sound suspiciously grade schoolish.

Well when you combine that with actively trying to get Tyreek Hill kicked off the team, the evidence starts to mount up in that direction a little bit.

lawrenceRaider
Just want to be clear,

Until we eliminate all anthropomorphic team mascots, it is asinine to pick out teams like the Chiefs.

We aren't talking about a name that is any kind of slur here. What, you want to get your panties in a bunch about cultural appropriation? Hell, that's been going on since humans ran into other humans with different culture.

KChiefs1
People still care about the KC Star?

alpha_omega
02-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Who is the author on that? Editorial staff???

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-03-2021, 02:32 PM
KK doing car dealership commercials on 810 is far more rage worthy

DaFace
02-03-2021, 02:35 PM
I kind of feel bad for the sports writers. They're really not bad and add some unique perspectives sometimes.

But I have no intention of throwing any money at them. The broader organization is outdated and probably needs to die. There are plenty of better sources for Chiefs news and discussion out there.

Marcellus
02-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Just want to be clear,

No, thinking the name "Chiefs" is culturally inappropriate is just plain ****ing stupid.

Especially when the team has involved many tribes in ceremonies and recognition who have no problem with it. If a handful of tribes want to take issue with it, **** them. This isn't a unilateral belief among Native Americans by any stretch of the imagination.

I am tired of the 1% trying to make all the rules for the other 99%. And 99% of the 1% complaining are fucking white people.

Prison Bitch
02-03-2021, 02:40 PM
People still care about the KC Red Star?

Fixed

Rain Man
02-03-2021, 02:40 PM
News organizations are no longer news organizations. They're nearly all editorial magazines, either overtly or covertly.

I used to have CNN as my home page to catch up on news. I finally got fed up with having to filter their opinions out to see what the news is, and I recently switched to reuters.com. I'm really liking reuters. They seem to actually report the news.

Spott
02-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Are there any news sources that aren’t politically biased any more? I guess it’s just impossible to report the news without some idiots adding their bullshit political opinions along with it.

Bearcat
02-03-2021, 02:46 PM
This is an actual article by someone at the Star? Not like an opinion piece/write-in bullshit or whatever?

CasselGotPeedOn
02-03-2021, 02:50 PM
"By the Kansas City Star Editorial Board"

LMAO LMAO LMAO

No one wanted to put their name on that garbage.

DaFace
02-03-2021, 02:53 PM
This is an actual article by someone at the Star? Not like an opinion piece/write-in bullshit or whatever?

It's an editorial, which is meant to be a bit of an opinion piece. But the editors are meant to be kind of the guideposts for the organization, so it's much more than some random letter to the editor kind of thing.

ClevelandBronco
The Star is correct in saying that the name will be changed. Y'all might want to start the process of getting used to the truth of that. I think the Star is blowing sunshine (or smoke signals?) up our asses when they declare that the team and the region will be better for the change, but they had to end the piece with some sort of hook and that's the one that came to their minds.

Look, I know that there's some mayor from back in the days. Fine. If ownership is going to try to make that one fly, they're going to have to get rid of every single shred of Native American imagery (and maybe the red, even though it's not the skins sort of red) and hope that everyone forgets that any of that stuff was ever part of the brand.

And then the team is going to have to stop seeking approval from this Native American group or that one. If the Chiefs name doesn't have anything to do with them, it's none of their business in the first place. Stop making it their business.

And while Hunt is overseeing those things, he should be thinking of a new name. Because he will change it. Guaranteed.

comochiefsfan
This is an actual article by someone at the Star? Not like an opinion piece/write-in bullshit or whatever?By the "Editorial Board" apparently lol.

Spineless cowards. If you're going to put out an unpopular opinion at least have the stones to put your name on it.

comochiefsfan
02-03-2021, 02:54 PM
The Star is correct in saying that the name will be changed. Y'all might want to start the process of getting used to the truth of that. I think the Star is blowing sunshine (or smoke signals?) up our asses when they declare that the team and the region will be better for the change, but they had to end the piece with some sort of hook and that's the one that came to their minds.

Look, I know that there's some mayor from back in the days. Fine. If ownership is going to try to make that one fly, they're going to have to get rid of every single shred of Native American imagery (and maybe the red, even though it's not the skins sort of red) and hope that everyone forgets that any of that stuff was ever part of the brand.

And then the team is going to have to stop seeking approval from this Native American group or that one. If the Chiefs name doesn't have anything to do with them, it's none of their business in the first place. Stop making it their business.

And while Hunt is overseeing those things, he should be thinking of a new name. Because he will change it. Guaranteed.They'll just change the logo before they change the name.

Why change both the name and logo when you only need to change one?

IowaHawkeyeChief
02-03-2021, 02:56 PM
Fuck the Star... Fuck Direckshun...

Both can drink antifreeze because they think "Chiefs" is inappropriate...

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2021, 02:57 PM
They'll just change the logo before they change the name.

This isn't about constructing a reasoned case. Look around.

Bearcat
02-03-2021, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the other link.... wow. And they link to a 2nd article they just published ~6 weeks ago, so apparently all over it.

I mean.... say they did a bunch of research and surveys and could say "20% of Kansas Citians agree..." (and maybe they have).... then I could kind of see the public plea and speaking for those people, even though the whole "cringing" and "corrosive" stuff is of course extreme Karen-ing.

How they wrote those articles is really embarrassing for them though, and using the Super Bowl as a way to say "millions will be cringing with us"... :shake:

staylor26
02-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Just want to be clear,

You’re either being disingenuous or forgetting the Tyreek Hill shit.

IowaHawkeyeChief
02-03-2021, 02:59 PM

And while Hunt is overseeing those things, he should be thinking of a new name. Because he will change it. Guaranteed.
LMAO... The LGBT community will soon be coming after your teams logo, the Broncos are done...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bronco

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2021, 03:01 PM
LMAO... The LGBT community will soon be coming after your teams logo, the Broncos are done...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bronco

Not my team and I wouldn't be shocked.

comochiefsfan
02-03-2021, 03:02 PM
This isn't about constructing a reasoned case. Look around.Yeah, no.

It took something as ridiculously extreme as the George Floyd protests to get the Redskins to finally change their name, and that was only because their sponsors threatened to cut ties with them if they didn't.

A very small minority care at all about the Chiefs name compared to Washington.

Worst case scenario if somehow it ever came to a situation where the Chiefs did receive a similar level of scrutiny, then they could simply remove the Arrowhead outline from around the "KC" and just leave that on a red background. Then they could technically be anything.

Fire Chief
Chief Executive Officer
Chief of Staff

They have a much easier out than the other Native American teams do. And I doubt the league is going to push them to rebrand anytime soon. Not when the value of the brand is at an all time high.

Baby Lee
02-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Less than two weeks ago, the Shawnee Mission School District decided inappropriate mascot names will be prohibited. Students at Shawnee Mission North and a handful of other schools will soon cheer for their teams in a different way.

Fucking retards don't even know what a Shawnee Mission is, and that's right there in plain English.

Living on that land named for the coerced conversion of the dirt worshippers, talking about sensitivity.

Kill me now, Lord.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-03-2021, 03:05 PM
They'll just change the logo before they change the name.

I fail to see how the logo is offensive. I fail to see how the name is offensive.
So get rid of the Drum and War Paint. Who cares. Fans will still do the chop even if they are called the KC Bearcats

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2021, 03:06 PM
Yeah, no.

It took something as ridiculously extreme as the George Floyd protests to get the Redskins to finally change their name, and that was only because their sponsors threatened to cut ties with them if they didn't.

A very small minority care at all about the Chiefs name compared to Washington.

Worst case scenario if somehow it ever came to a situation where the Chiefs did receive a similar level of scrutiny, then they could simply remove the Arrowhead outline from around the "KC" and just leave that on a red background. Then they could technically be anything.

Fire Chief
Chief Executive Officer
Chief of Staff

They have a much easier out than the other Native American teams do. And I doubt the league is going to push them to rebrand anytime soon. Not when the value of the brand is at an all time high.

That might be the best time for a change. They're going to alienate fewer hardcore fans when they have a top of the line product to offer.

And the demise of the Skins and Indians just means that those buffers for the Chiefs and the Braves have already fallen and empowered the emotional opposition.

Direckshun
02-03-2021, 03:08 PM
You’re either being disingenuous or forgetting the Tyreek Hill shit.

Ah, so not wanting a player on your team = hating the Chiefs?

I mean, a player is not the team, right? I am massively stupid, so I'm going to need that explained to me.

comochiefsfan
02-03-2021, 03:17 PM

I mean, a player is not the team, right? I am massively stupid, so I'm going to need that explained to me.They tried to frame an innocent man as a child abuser.

A man who is massively popular in the community.

They can all go to hell.

Jewish Rabbi
02-03-2021, 03:21 PM

I mean, a player is not the team, right? I am massively stupid, so I'm going to need that explained to me.

Chiefsplanet would be better without you.

LoneWolf
02-03-2021, 03:25 PM
I am massively stupid

You could have just typed this, you fucking soy boy.

staylor26
02-03-2021, 03:28 PM

Yea, you’re massively fucking stupid...

KChiefs1
02-03-2021, 03:30 PM
I can’t wait until the cancel culture has been canceled.

Tonka83
02-03-2021, 03:32 PM
I didn't think Brooke Pryor could be out woke.
I was wrong.

Mennonite
02-03-2021, 03:35 PM

It'll never happen. We're all riding on the same tiger now and the only way to keep from getting eaten is to constantly throw your fellow passengers into its maw.

TrebMaxx
02-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Could we be the Kansas City Arrowheads? Or would that offend rocks?

RedinTexas
02-03-2021, 03:38 PM
The KC star is garbage and they are dead wrong about the team name being offensive.

I don't think the name is offensive. I don't think the logo is offensive. I don't think the Chiefs are the #1 target of those who are trying to get names changed of US sports teams. I would have no problem with our favorite football team remaining the "Kansas City Chiefs" until the end of time.

However, I do think that changing the name of our team is inevitable eventually. As sad as I would be to see it happen, I would rather it be done sooner rather than later.

gblowfish
02-03-2021, 03:40 PM
McClatchy Group who owns the Star filed for bankruptcy. The last thing I saw was that they had plans to close down the big green glass printing building right across the freeway from Sprint Center and outsource printing. The original Star HQ building is being renovated for general office space. The Star is a shell of what is used to be, and it's not relevant to anything anymore. Just the way it is.

Baby Lee
02-03-2021, 03:43 PM
It'll never happen. We're all riding on the same tiger now and the only way to keep from getting eaten is to constantly throw your fellow passengers into its maw.

I wouldn't be surprised if, on a long enough timeline there is a backlash.

Kids in primary school today, having none of the prior 'trauma' associated with slurs, and rebelling against the censorious culture, just blithely spouting ALL SORTS of shit we'd be aghast at today when they come of age.

joethomas
02-03-2021, 03:46 PM
the chop should go, IMO. But the team name and symbolism are not racist. The white people who are being outraged about the team's name on behalf of people who are not outraged should STFU.

KCUnited
02-03-2021, 03:50 PM
If the Chiefs were a Black QB, they would’ve been out of a job a long time ago

BWillie
02-03-2021, 03:53 PM
Does the Kansas City Star understand they are appropriating in the use of their name?

"Kansas" was named for the Kansa Indians or known as "the people of the south wind". So Kansas was named after Native Americans as a tribute to them. Not only is the state name racist, the Kansas City Star is as well since it is in their name. I demand that it be changed to the City Star immediately.

KChiefs1
02-03-2021, 03:55 PM
You know how many cities around the USA are named for Native American tribes?

KChiefs1
02-03-2021, 03:56 PM
I guess I don’t understand how something went from honoring something to it now being a derogatory term?

Gary Cooper
02-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Does the Kansas City Star understand they are appropriating in the use of their name?

"Kansas" was named for the Kansa Indians or known as "the people of the south wind". So Kansas was named after Native Americans as a tribute to them. Not only is the state name racist, the Kansas City Star is as well since it is in their name. I demand that it be changed to the City Star immediately.

And Jackson County is named after a slave owner.

So is Washington D.C.

joethomas
02-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Yes, how do they want us to rename the city? You can't call it "the large city spanning western Missouri and Eastern Kansas" since mentioning anything related to native peoples or languages in a name is racist and therefore the names of both states are racist

Mecca
02-03-2021, 04:04 PM
I guess I don’t understand how something went from honoring something to it now being a derogatory term?

We went from a super harsh society about 20-25 years ago to now we've over corrected so everyone is super sensitive.

There are tons of things that play into this but we've grown much softer as a society in general.

ChiefBlueCFC
02-03-2021, 04:05 PM
KC Star and Adam Teicher love trying to continuously shit on the Chiefs

SuperChief
02-03-2021, 04:07 PM

This is probably the best point made thus far.

I'm Native. I'm also a die-hard Chiefs fan. I don't know how to feel about all this. I think the obvious problems are obvious - the chant, the chop, the costumes, etc. I think it's also fair that there are ways to honor the Native aspects of the team's history, but doing them in a culturally appropriated way seems dumb.

It's not as black and white as people want to make the issue seem. Lots of grey. What some call "cancel culture," I'd call "consequences." You probably don't like hearing that. Opinions are what they are.

BWillie
02-03-2021, 04:08 PM
You know how many cities around the USA are named for Native American tribes?

All racist and should be changed, IMMEDIATELY!

Hoover
02-03-2021, 04:18 PM
I fucking hate English majors...

alanm
02-03-2021, 04:30 PM
"By the Kansas City Star Editorial Board"

LMAO LMAO LMAO

No one wanted to put their name on that garbage.Was hoping we could sic Clay on someone. But they were smart enough not to put their name to this piece of shit commentary.

alanm
02-03-2021, 04:32 PM
You know how many cities around the USA are named for Native American tribes?Omaha for one. :thumb:

alanm
02-03-2021, 04:33 PM
We went from a super harsh society about 20-25 years ago to now we've over corrected so everyone is super sensitive.

There are tons of things that play into this but we've grown much softer as a society in general.I'm just waiting for the Chinese to invade and put us out of our misery.

mr. tegu
02-03-2021, 04:43 PM
The old “right side of history argument.” Can’t they come up with an actual good reason? No? Well that would explain why nothing needs to change. I also like how they equate changing the name to being a minor “interim” step. Pure insanity.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Missouri is an Indian tribe as well

PHOG
02-03-2021, 04:48 PM
I would think the KC Star will be out of business well before the Chiefs name is ever changed.

And good riddance, the spineless bastards.

Baby Lee
02-03-2021, 04:56 PM

I'm Native. I'm also a die-hard Chiefs fan. I don't know how to feel about all this. I think the obvious problems are obvious - the chant, the chop, the costumes, etc. I think it's also fair that there are ways to honor the Native aspects of the team's history, but doing them in a culturally appropriated way seems dumb.

It's not as black and white as people want to make the issue seem. Lots of grey. What some call "cancel culture," I'd call "consequences." You probably don't like hearing that. Opinions are what they are.

Of course cancel culture is consequences. The point is that the consequences are too enduring comprehensive and kneejerk for the slights.

This is an example that is offered for the simply off-the wall overreaction than anything else.

Some middle-aged gay theater critic of some 30-odd years or a major paper in Canada lost his job the other day, because a few years back, he criticized the movie 'Promising Young Woman.' This is already a problematic film to critique for a number of reasons, but he navigated the waters, fairly well.

But

He SEEMED to throw slight shade at the portrayal by Carey Mulligan of a honey-pot [the movie is a revenge fantasy about some chick who lures men by pretending to be drunk into . . . consequences]. It was largely ignored, until Mulligan herself tweetered that her feelers were hurt.

Valiant
02-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Just want to be clear,

Where did the word chief come from?

RustShack
02-03-2021, 07:22 PM
Is the Chief of police also inappropriate now?

Halfcan
02-03-2021, 07:23 PM
KC Star and whoever wrote this garbage can go fuck themselves. Whether it is next week or 20 years from now, it is inevitable they need to fuck off.

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2021, 07:25 PM
C’mon. The freaking stadium is Arrowhead. It ain’t about mayors and fire chiefs.

Bwana
02-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Fuck the KC Star, that is all.

Halfcan
02-03-2021, 07:28 PM
The Chiefs should revoke all access to the Star. They are worthless trolls.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2021, 07:29 PM
C’mon. The freaking stadium is Arrowhead. It ain’t about mayors and fire chiefs.

Exactly.

The Chiefs will be able to keep their name, as long as they remove the Native American imagery.

They changed "The Chop" before the start of the 2020 season and I'd imagine there will be more incremental changes in the next 5 years or so.

mlyonsd
02-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Hopefully the Star editorial board dies in a tire fire.

RedinTexas
02-03-2021, 07:49 PM
Exactly.

The Chiefs will be able to keep their name, as long as they remove the Native American imagery.

They changed "The Chop" before the start of the 2020 season and I'd imagine there will be more incremental changes in the next 5 years or so.

Incremental changes won't satisfy the self-appointed censors of all that might cause hurt feelings. In fact, each incremental change will be taken as an admission of guilt and they will redouble their efforts with every concession.

Bearcat
02-03-2021, 07:51 PM

That's just a sponsor.

https://dg6qn11ynnp6a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/22090154/345966LOGO.jpg

bigjosh
02-03-2021, 07:51 PM
I wont click on the link and give it views.

Anybody know who wrote that shit so i can talk shit to them on twitter?

Bwana
02-03-2021, 07:56 PM
That's just a sponsor.

https://dg6qn11ynnp6a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/22090154/345966LOGO.jpg

I'm offended! :deevee:

Halfcan
02-03-2021, 07:56 PM
Anyone that has an issue with a picture of an Arrowhead has mental issues and can't be taken seriously.

alanm
02-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Anyone that has an issue with a picture of an Arrowhead has mental issues and can't be taken seriously.Apparently that's the whole editorial staff at the Star.

Bwana
02-03-2021, 08:14 PM
I hope the slap dick that wrote that doesn't own any of these.

Chevrolet Cheyenne (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cheyenne)
Dodge Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Dakota)
Ford Thunderbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird)
Jeep Cherokee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee)
Jeep Comanche (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Comanche)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee)
Mazda Navajo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Qashqai)
Anything Pontiac (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_(automobile))

Pontiac Aztek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek)
Volkswagen Touareg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Touareg) (North African desert tribe)
Winnebago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnebago_Industries)

TambaBerry
02-03-2021, 08:23 PM
the name, the arrowhead on the helmet, the troubling tomahawk chop and the crude chant that goes with it.

There are other ethnicities that have used the word Chief, an arrowhead isn't owned by native American, the chop isn't a team thing it's the fans, anything else you fucking dumbass writer

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2021, 08:23 PM
I hope the slap dick that wrote that doesn't own any of these.

Chevrolet Cheyenne (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cheyenne)
Dodge Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Dakota)
Ford Thunderbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird)
Jeep Cherokee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee)
Jeep Comanche (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Comanche)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee)
Mazda Navajo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Qashqai)
Anything Pontiac (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_(automobile))

Pontiac Aztek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek)
Volkswagen Touareg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Touareg) (North African desert tribe)
Winnebago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnebago_Industries)

Safe bet all members of the Star editorial board drive Priuses.

RedinTexas
02-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Safe bet all members of the Star editorial board drive Priuses.

Yugos

Baby Lee
02-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Yugos

Bicycles, recumbent, . . . with those little clips on their trouser legs.

POND_OF_RED
02-03-2021, 08:50 PM
I work in Indian reservations constantly. I have met TONS of Chiefs fans on these reservations. If it was so offensive I think we would hear more about it from the tribes. The headdress has always been offensive and I think most people are aware of that by now hopefully. The chop is no more offensive than the Viking Skol. Is anyone talking about that? Are all Minnesota fans FOR raping and pillaging villages?

Halfcan
02-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Apparently that's the whole editorial staff at the Star.

The same hypocrite assholes that will pander to Chiefs fans next week with a full-page spread after our big win.

I bet they will set aside their concerns over all the troubling imagery to sell a few papers.

displacedinMN
02-03-2021, 08:53 PM
Is the Chief of police also inappropriate now?

yes, But so is master bath

I know we made a list of this around here somewhere.

Spott
02-03-2021, 08:55 PM
Are all Minnesota fans FOR raping and pillaging villages?

Probably not. That’s more of a raider fan way of thinking.

RustShack
02-03-2021, 09:03 PM
It’s wild that the Star is more offended by this than any Native American is.

mlyonsd
02-03-2021, 09:12 PM
It’s wild that the Star is more offended by this than any Native American is.
If you haven't figured it out already the media has decided to tell you how to think. If you disagree they will eventually make enough morons bitch slap you in social media to agree with them.

If anyone is paying for the Star they should stop now.

tredadda
02-03-2021, 09:53 PM
I fucking hate English majors...

Marty Schottenheimer was an English Major.

jerryaldini
02-03-2021, 10:00 PM
Don't know why they hang on to the embarrassing chop and 1950s cowboys and indians movie music. The name is fine.

Bowser
02-04-2021, 12:53 AM

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on what these consequences will mean to the rest of us, SuperChief.

ChiefsFanatic
02-04-2021, 01:34 AM
Marty Schottenheimer was an English Major.Bullshit. Marty is a classically trained Gleam Catcher. He trained at the Royal Academy, where he honed his razor sharp Gleam Vision, often seeing Gleams that his instructors couldn't even see.

But, Marty made too many public waves for the Gleam Illuminati to ignore. Marty rebelled against the Gleam Illuminati, and openly pointed out Gleams, often while being recorded by undercover Illuminati spies.

Pointing out Gleams to the uninitiated common folk is like breaking the first rule of Fight Club. As punishment for his Gleam transgressions, the Gleam Illuminati deployed a sinister ring of paid villains to ruin and discredit Marty. It has long been rumored that the list of villains included Earnest Byner, Lin Elliot, and Marlon McCree, who all actively sabotaged Marty as inside men, as well as the infamous assassin John Elway, codename: Horse Face.

When the inevitable happens, and Marty catches his final Gleam, he will be missed by so many people, but especially by all those who would have never witnessed a Gleam without Marty in their lives.

Gleam On, Marty, Gleam On.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

vonBobo
02-04-2021, 02:27 AM
People chopping look fucking stoooooooopid

Bill Brasky
02-04-2021, 02:35 AM
News organizations are no longer news organizations. They're nearly all editorial magazines, either overtly or covertly.

I used to have CNN as my home page to catch up on news. I finally got fed up with having to filter their opinions out to see what the news is, and I recently switched to reuters.com. I'm really liking reuters. They seem to actually report the news.

Reuters and the AP wire are where it’s at. All news organizations can stick their spin up their fat asses. I just want the facts and let me make up my own mind.

Marcellus
02-04-2021, 08:49 AM
Exactly.

LMAO no they didn't. They said they did but there is no actual change. Nobody is using their "fist".

The truth is they know they cant control it happening or not so they used a PR spin to allow it to continue since they literally cant stop it.

ChiefsCountry
02-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Woke white people are more offended than Indians.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 09:00 AM
I'm interested in hearing your opinions on what these consequences will mean to the rest of us, SuperChief.

If I had to guess, it likely means you can't be openly racist in public without being ridiculed. Part of the social contract, really. Those that defy the contract may find it harder to live a normal life - gain employment, socially interact with normal people who abide by the contract, etc. Use your imagination.

Zap Rowsdower
02-04-2021, 09:27 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GcpheawnOuw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mr. tegu
02-04-2021, 09:44 AM
If I had to guess, it likely means you can't be openly racist in public without being ridiculed. Part of the social contract, really. Those that defy the contract may find it harder to live a normal life - gain employment, socially interact with normal people who abide by the contract, etc. Use your imagination.

Cancel culture is not limited to racism, but even with regards to racism, the definition of racism is twisted beyond recognition for those who wield it as a cancel culture weapon.

jettio
02-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Most newspapers and broadcast media changed their stylebooks years ago to never use Redskins when doing a story on the Washington NFL team.

If newspapers and media are not changing their stylebooks to never use the word Chiefs, then it is kind of silly for the Star Editorial Board to predict that a name change is inevitable.

KCChiefsFan88
02-04-2021, 09:48 AM
To recap the KC Star's ongoing war against the Chiefs...

1) They aggressively attempted to end Tyreek's career with a prolonged defamatory smear campaign.

2) They baselessly claimed the Chiefs promote a culture of domestic violence.

3) They wanted the Chiefs to sit Patrick Mahomes last week due to his non-existent concussion.

4) They want the Chiefs to change their name, logos, branding, etc. to be as woke as possible.

Of course at the same time the KC Star Editorial Board has no problem with their newspaper trying to profit off the Chiefs by selling books, commemorative merchandise, etc. After all they need to pay for their Mission Hills homes and hefty monthly Whole Foods expenditures.

RedinTexas
02-04-2021, 09:49 AM

The problem here is who shall be the arbiter of what constitutes "racism?" The definition seems to wildly expand when the "arbiters" don't like the people accused and equally wildly contract when the "arbiters" do like the people accused.

Marcellus
02-04-2021, 10:00 AM
The problem here is who shall be the arbiter of what constitutes "racism?" The definition seems to wildly expand when the "arbiters" don't like the people accused and equally wildly contract when the "arbiters" do like the people accused.

I'm out in public all the time in a fairly redneck part of the country and cant remember the last time I saw anyone being "openly racist in public". I am not saying it never happens or racism doesn't exist, I am just saying its got to be very very very rare for that kind of stuff to occur.

It really makes me wonder what world some of these people live in.

BWillie
02-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Can you imagine how much more apparel sales Clark would make if they changed the name though? Everyone would have to buy new shit. Worth tens of millions.

The college I went to was called Chiefs before I got there but they ended up changing their name.

For the record, I do not think the Chiefs should have to do it. I'm tired of hearing about it and it just disappoints me that there is such a double standard in this country. Vikings, not racist. Irish, not racist. Chiefs, now that is racist.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 01:00 PM
I'm out in public all the time in a fairly redneck part of the country and cant remember the last time I saw anyone being "openly racist in public". I am not saying it never happens or racism doesn't exist, I am just saying its got to be very very very rare for that kind of stuff to occur.

It really makes me wonder what world some of these people live in.

Well, there's a front page thread about a famous person doing just that. You might have missed that. There's a sitting U.S. congresswoman who posted open racist rhetoric for all to see.

You're right, there are two different realities in which we live. I choose the one that's right in front of my face, but you do you man.

LoneWolf
02-04-2021, 01:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/246074849151180/posts/1119959198429403/?d=n

Start flooding their comments. This “article” is beyond stupid.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 01:02 PM

See my comment referring to the social contract. Quite a bit of common sense in those Terms and Conditions. If you're having trouble deciphering what's not-so-good to say in public, I'd be happy to have a dialogue with you about my perceptions.

RedinTexas
02-04-2021, 01:06 PM
See my comment referring to the social contract. Quite a bit of common sense in those Terms and Conditions. If you're having trouble deciphering what's not-so-good to say in public, I'd be happy to have a dialogue with you about my perceptions.

So, you're the arbiter? You'll have to excuse me if I don't find you qualified to stand in judgement of the rest of humankind. Firstly because you clearly have opinions on the matter that seem to make you closed-minded to some degree. Secondly, power corrupts. Once you have such power, you'll use it to suit yourself rather than that goal of equality you seem to seek. No, anyone that wants that job is clearly ill-suited to handle it.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 01:14 PM
So, you're the arbiter? You'll have to excuse me if I don't find you qualified to stand in judgement of the rest of humankind. Firstly because you clearly have opinions on the matter that seem to make you closed-minded to some degree. Secondly, power corrupts. Once you have such power, you'll use it to suit yourself rather than that goal of equality you seem to seek. No, anyone that wants that job is clearly ill-suited to handle it.

Reading is hard.

RedinTexas
02-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Reading is hard.

Superiority complexes are common.

mr. tegu
02-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Well, there's a front page thread about a famous person doing just that. You might have missed that. There's a sitting U.S. congresswoman who posted open racist rhetoric for all to see.

You're right, there are two different realities in which we live. I choose the one that's right in front of my face, but you do you man.

There’s a front page thread about someone being openly racist in public? Do explain.

KCChiefsFan88
02-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Can you imagine how much more apparel sales Clark would make if they changed the name though? Everyone would have to buy new shit. Worth tens of millions.

The college I went to was called Chiefs before I got there but they ended up changing their name.

For the record, I do not think the Chiefs should have to do it. I'm tired of hearing about it and it just disappoints me that there is such a double standard in this country. Vikings, not racist. Irish, not racist. Chiefs, now that is racist.

If the Chiefs caved into Woke Cancel Mania and changed their name, I think many people (including myself) wouldn’t buy anything with the new snowflake branding.

IowaHawkeyeChief
02-04-2021, 01:24 PM

So to clarify, you're good with "Chiefs", and I can see how a "costume" is deemed disrespectful, but as a season ticket holder, I don't see any of those anymore, maybe I missed one somewhere, but they pretty much don't exist anymore and we have a Wolf as the mascot. On the chop/chant, curious on why that is offensive? Seriously interested in understanding why?

IowaHawkeyeChief
02-04-2021, 01:27 PM
There’s a front page thread about someone being openly racist in public? Do explain.

He's talking about the b celebrity country music dude who was on tape using the N word... I think we can all agree that is wrong, and is apples and oranges to this discussion.

KCChiefsFan88
02-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Woke white people are more offended than Indians.

This.

The Tomahawk Chop was introduced into sports culture by Florida State with the blessing/approval from the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

seamonster
02-04-2021, 01:29 PM

people like this character should be fired from their job and removed from gainful employment. I can't understand why businesses tolerate the SuperChiefs of the world. Anybody that thinks they know what does and does not offend all of the American Indian tribes and has to stir up shit is pure cancer. There should be a checklist to identify these creeps to keep them out of organizations.

Baby Lee
02-04-2021, 01:30 PM
Those perpetually scouring society for incidents of 'open racism' have no actual respect for the actual moral foundations for the derogation of racism. They only respect the power inherent in the concept.

So they abuse the notion to expand it to 'don't do anything that fits my definition of asshole' or I will attempt to destroy you. But they have no respect for anyone else's definition of asshole, and will act like that with elan.

Baby Lee
02-04-2021, 01:32 PM
He's talking about the b celebrity country music dude who was on tape using the N word... I think we can all agree that is wrong, and is apples and oranges to this discussion.

He said the word, while drunk, towards a fellow caucasian drinking buddy.

It qualifies as 'drunken carelessness regarding forbidden speech,' but 'displaying open racism' is not evidenced by the currently known facts.

mr. tegu
02-04-2021, 01:33 PM

I’m aware. I would like him to explain how that’s an example of being openly racist in public.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 01:53 PM

After reading this message board for more than a decade, I don't think we all agree to that. At all. I only base this on the posts I read here, every day.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 01:57 PM
So to clarify, you're good with "Chiefs", and I can see how a "costume" is deemed disrespectful, but as a season ticket holder, I don't see any of those anymore, maybe I missed one somewhere, but they pretty much don't exist anymore and we have a Wolfe as the mascot. On the chop/chant, curious on why that is offensive? Seriously interested in understanding why?

I, personally, don't find the chop or the chant offensive; however, I know many that do (mostly Native folks in my community). I think to myself, "What am I losing if the chop and the chant are gone? What do they gain by it getting the axe (pun not intended)?"

I can think of a million other things in the world to be pissed about, but this? I'm not going to die on this hill, so-to-speak.

SuperChief
02-04-2021, 02:03 PM
I'm sure this will hit DC before too long. I'm not asking people to agree with me, only hear my side of this really complex story. Like I said, it's not black and white, it's very much grey. And trust me - I've heard your side of the story. I spent 20 years surrounded by your side of the story, and I used to think just like you. People can change after introspection, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I hope you all have a great rest of your day, sincerely.

Marcellus
02-04-2021, 02:06 PM

No there isn't, that's not remotely what happened. A white guy calling another white guy a name is not a instance of racism but there you go you do you.

Perfect example of the stupidity of the standards anymore.

mr. tegu
02-04-2021, 02:11 PM
I'm sure this will hit DC before too long. I'm not asking people to agree with me, only hear my side of this really complex story. Like I said, it's not black and white, it's very much grey. And trust me - I've heard your side of the story. I spent 20 years surrounded by your side of the story, and I used to think just like you. People can change after introspection, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I hope you all have a great rest of your day, sincerely.

It would help if you actually gave your side of the story regarding what constitutes open racism in public. This is my problem with statements like yours though and it’s also a perfect example of the problem with cancel culture which you seem to cheer because it has consequences. You just say him using the n word at his home is an example of openly being racist in public seemingly without any concern for accuracy any ability to explain that statement and instead just expect it to be held as accurate because it has the racist accusation in it which is very popular these days.

T-post Tom
02-04-2021, 02:20 PM
“They haven’t taken that advice.” ~ KC Star

The real sin. (In the eyes of the “Board.”)

I wonder what the editorial review board from back when Ernest Hemingway was chasing ambulances for the Star would think of today’s editorial review board.

D.A.P.
02-04-2021, 04:26 PM
People still read newspapers?

Frazod
02-04-2021, 05:05 PM
People still read newspapers?

Nope. Hence the reason these fuckers hate the Chiefs, us, and pretty much everything else.

Easy 6
02-04-2021, 05:47 PM
It never fails to amaze me that in even the reddest of red states, the big city newspapers in those states are staunchly left without fail...it's never made any sense to me, and it needs to change

BlackOp
02-04-2021, 05:54 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_sKX2Gk7eFY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2021, 06:02 PM
It never fails to amaze me that in even the reddest of red states, the big city newspapers in those states are staunchly left without fail...it's never made any sense to me, and it needs to change

It's never going to change because the most populated cities are almost always Blue cities.

Jackson County, St. Louis County and Boone County (Mizzou) all went Blue by between 12%-28%.

Johnson County, Kansas went Blue as well, so it would be foolish for the KC Star or any other "Urban" newspaper to cater to people that live in rural areas.

petegz28
02-04-2021, 06:04 PM
It's never going to change because the most populated cities are almost always Blue cities.

Jackson County, St. Louis County and Boone County (Mizzou) all went Blue by between 12%-28%.

Johnson County, Kansas went Blue as well, so it would be foolish for the KC Star or any other "Urban" newspaper to cater to people that live in rural areas.

I think what Dane is trying to say is ..

FUCK THE KANSAS CITY STAR!!!!

srvy
02-04-2021, 06:04 PM
These are the latest I can find on members of KC Stars editorial board Derek Donovan, Melinda Henneberger, Dave Helling, Toriano Porter, Michael Ryan and Colleen Nelson.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/o6lfke/picture194984919/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/EditorialBoard
This is from 2017 so may not be current.
The Star’s editorial board, left to right: Mary Sanchez, Dave Helling, Colleen McCain Nelson, Toriano Porter, Steve Kraske, Derek Donovan, Melinda Henneberger

Bob Dole
02-04-2021, 06:08 PM

**** THE KANSAS CITY STAR!!!!

Just change the name to the Star Democrat. I miss the days where the publication’s name told you their slant.

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2021, 06:11 PM

FUCK THE KANSAS CITY STAR!!!!

I stopped visiting the KC Star years ago when they instituted a Paywall because I'm not shelling out money to read Pete Grathoff's Blog or Blair Kerkoff's twice a month colunm or Vahe Gregorian's "Human Interest stories".

Mellinger's columns were occasionally worth a read but more often than not, his takes were really bad.

Frazod
02-04-2021, 06:25 PM

The problem with this is the demographic they cater to doesn't buy newspapers.

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2021, 06:28 PM
The problem with this is the demographic they cater to doesn't buy newspapers.

Yeah, for sure. My parents stopped their yearly subscription almost a decade ago and my other family members have never even subscribed.

The only reason I kept going to their site was to read Terez and Mellinger but now that Mellinger's columns require a subscription, I don't even bother.

Sports Illustrated is about to implement a Paywall and I'll stop visiting that site as well, which has become rather worthless since laying off so many writers along with the departure of Peter King.

Sorter
02-04-2021, 06:38 PM
After reading this message board for more than a decade, I don't think we all agree to that. At all. I only base this on the posts I read here, every day.

I am interested in seeing the posts that don't agree with that. It's not your obligation to post links/quotes, I just don't get to peruse threads like I used to.

O.city
02-04-2021, 07:11 PM
Sorter is back!

Frazod
02-04-2021, 07:17 PM
Yeah, for sure. My parents stopped their yearly subscription almost a decade ago and my other family members have never even subscribed.

The only reason I kept going to their site was to read Terez and Mellinger but now that Mellinger's columns require a subscription, I don't even bother.

Sports Illustrated is about to implement a Paywall and I'll stop visiting that site as well, which has become rather worthless since laying off so many writers along with the departure of Peter King.

Same reason ESPN's shows are tanking. They cater to people who don't watch TV, and shit all over the folks who do.

Strongside
02-04-2021, 07:21 PM
They're just doing what all media outlets do to survive nowadays - whatever it takes to generate a click. Ad revenue is the only way these clowns stay in business, and they can't charge for ads no one sees. Gotta sensationalize.

DaneMcCloud
02-04-2021, 07:24 PM
Same reason ESPN's shows are tanking. They cater to people who don't watch TV, and shit all over the folks who do.

I have ESPN & ESPN2 for their Live sports, although I did watch their OJ Simpson and Michael Jordan documentaries.

I've never watched any of their hosted shows, so I'm always in the dark when people talk about things that are said on that network.

I've seen enough clips on CP from Stephen A. Smith to last a least a lifetime.

Fish
02-04-2021, 07:46 PM
The last gasps of a dying newspaper saying anything they can to remain relevant.

KCChiefsFan88
02-04-2021, 07:55 PM
These are the latest I can find on members of KC Stars editorial board Derek Donovan, Melinda Henneberger, Dave Helling, Toriano Porter, Michael Ryan and Colleen Nelson.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/o6lfke/picture194984919/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/EditorialBoard
This is from 2017 so may not be current.
The Star’s editorial board, left to right: Mary Sanchez, Dave Helling, Colleen McCain Nelson, Toriano Porter, Steve Kraske, Derek Donovan, Melinda Henneberger

For their next group picture they should dress up like the Chiefs players did in their team photo back in the day... they would look less dull and snowflakey.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6e/5c/a7/6e5ca7253f7c7b5d2c98563bc4124494.jpg

liquidlounge
02-04-2021, 08:18 PM
The Star should be a case study on how to not do it for a local / regional, Midwest newspaper. It’s just bizarre how the Star just lost its clout and respect over the last decade. Not one person in our office subscribes to it anymore - they just lost touch with their audience. It’s hard to believe it’s printed in Iowa??! Zero “Star” power or personality in their staff. The sports page just became overrun with social commentary - does anyone think Vahe Gregorian even cares about sports? I quit subscribing 3 weeks ago. End of an era I guess

Easy 6
02-04-2021, 08:36 PM

But do those largest in the state, often state capital based papers not have an obligation to more fairly represent the views of their overall state?

Red states are red in spite of their cities

Hammock Parties
02-04-2021, 08:39 PM
im going 'shop them dipshits with warpaint and headresses

TwistedChief
02-04-2021, 08:50 PM
I stopped visiting the KC Star years ago when they instituted a Paywall because I'm not shelling out money to read Pete Grathoff's Blog or Blair Kerkoff's twice a month colunm or Vahe Gregorian's "Human Interest stories".

Mellinger's columns were occasionally worth a read but more often than not, his takes were really bad.

So, I still pay for the Star. It's a vestige of my childhood as a kid growing up in West Palm Beach somehow regularly reading Jason Whitlock and feeling like the Star represented my porthole to the Chiefs.

I like Mellinger and they've improved the team surrounding him over the last couple years (see ya, Brooke). I never grew up or lived anywhere near KC so there's still some real nostalgia for me that makes it more than a newspaper. I vividly remember reading it on the way to the airport in a taxi with my father the morning after we lost to the Broncos in the playoffs in 1998. Soul crushing.

Halfcan
02-04-2021, 10:21 PM
I, personally, don't find the chop or the chant offensive; however, I know many that do (mostly Native folks in my community). I think to myself, "What am I losing if the chop and the chant are gone? What do they gain by it getting the axe (pun not intended)?"

I can think of a million other things in the world to be pissed about, but this? I'm not going to die on this hill, so-to-speak.

Considering that Clark Hunt- beat the drum during the AFC Championship so all of us could do the Chop- it is not going anywhere soon.

It was magical.

Halfcan
02-04-2021, 10:25 PM
For their next group picture they should dress up like the Chiefs players did in their team photo back in the day... they would look less dull and snowflakey.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6e/5c/a7/6e5ca7253f7c7b5d2c98563bc4124494.jpg

I am sure all the Native Americans across the country are glad these Social Justice Warriors are fighting for their "feelings" against the awful CHIEFS!

Fucking morons! :doh!:

Discuss Thrower
02-04-2021, 11:57 PM
I for one think we should band together and get "You'll Never Walk Alone" banned from Liverpool matches since it very clearly espouses an ableist sentiment.

F150
02-05-2021, 06:28 AM

Looks like the ultimate SJW Management team. God can you imagine listening to them whine and carry on over the latest SJ issue?

Anyone who gets in the boat with this bullshit should be ashamed.

No respect given when individuals see themselves as having some set of ideas and beliefs that are so lofty and filled with goodness that they support imposing those ideas on all others because its for the good of all to be required to abide the demands of the SJW team.

I support their right to their beliefs but draw the line when they assume so lofty better than you perch and preach their crap.

Keep the Chief, the Arrowhead, the chop and the drum. Those who are somehow offended can cheer on some other team or find a protest to close strip joints, or allow boys to piss in a girls restroom. Make sure you have a clean pussy hat to wear.

Ok, thats done.

Now lets beat the dickens out of TB tomorrow and may all Chiefs fns have a safe SuperBowl experience!

F150
02-05-2021, 09:42 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7if8HyqD6G4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJJasonp
02-05-2021, 10:50 AM
I'm convinced that in these crazy times, all news has become clickbait.

Just like Cowherd and talking heads on sports shows, they come up with crap that they dont necessarily believe in, but they know it gets people talking and riles at least 1/2 of their customers up.

And here we are talking about it (and I've had at least 4-5 emails this week from the KC Star, offering Chiefs special-edition this or thats).

All about clicks.

liquidlounge
02-05-2021, 11:17 AM
Its also crazy that nobody ever questions the Star's circulation claims. They are claiming something just south of a half a million printed copies? I don't know one person on my block who gets the "paper" delivered. The marketing guy in me says this number is deceptive and way overstated. The folks who advertise in the Star are more than likely being defrauded.

Baby Lee
02-05-2021, 11:51 AM
I'm convinced that in these crazy times, all news has become clickbait.

Just like Cowherd and talking heads on sports shows, they come up with crap that they dont necessarily believe in, but they know it gets people talking and riles at least 1/2 of their customers up.

And here we are talking about it (and I've had at least 4-5 emails this week from the KC Star, offering Chiefs special-edition this or thats).

All about clicks.

Morton Downey Jr. started it all.

Turned Oprah and Donahue into Springer and Jesse-Raphael, and the daytime TV consumer from Soap Opera into the gossip clatch on The View, then it jumped to web pages.

JohnnyV13
02-05-2021, 12:09 PM
I have come to realize that I have been participating in racist cultural appropriation for most of my life. This insightful article from the Star has made me see the error of my ways. I have avowed to make amends.

Thus,

1) the Kansas City Chiefs must get rid of all offensive culturally appropriated images and practices like the Tomahawk Chop.

2) We can keep the name "Chiefs" because it is not inherently offensive, but we must remove any association with Native American practices.

3) We can no longer associate the team with "Kansas City" because the name "Kansas" is derived from the Kansa tribe. Continuing to call this land by a bastardized name of the tribe it was stolen from is to celebrate a horrific conquest.

4) We could consider calling the team the Missouri Chiefs, but the name "Missouri" is derived from a local Sioux tribe. Thus, we need to name the team the "City Chiefs".

5) We should also change the culturally-appropriated ways we keep score and how we number the yard lines on the field. We use Arabic numerals, which have been appropriated from Arabic culture. This is completely wrong. My first thought was we could then use Roman numerals for yard markers, but that would be culturally appropriating the number system of ethnic Romans.

6) I suppose we could use binary, but not only is it typically expressed in Arabic numerals, it was also invented by Gottfried Wilhelm Leibnez, which would be cultural appropriation from Germanic culture. Thus, binary number systems are out.

7) That means we need to use an American numbering system for yard markers and to keep score. Hexidecimal was invented by John Nystrom. While he was born in Sweden, he was an American citizen when he proposed replacing the decimal system with hexidecimal.

8) Unfortunately, hexidecimal is traditionally expressed using characters from the Roman alphabet and Arabic numberals. Thus, we need to derive entirely new characters to represent the hexidecimal system.

9) And, since the English language traditionally uses an alphabet derived from Roman culture, we need to devise an entirely new system of characters to represent our spoken language. I truly regret resorting to this culturally appropriated from of written communication, but I feel compelled to do so because I know no other way to communicate in writing.

KCChiefsFan88
02-05-2021, 12:16 PM
So when is the KC Star planning to change the name of their book that they are endlessly selling?

“Hail to the (Fill in your Cancel Woke Snowflake Replacement Name)”

Also why don’t they donate proceeds of the profits they make from books and other Chiefs memorabilia towards injun causes if they are so concerned about the natives?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0192/7790/6020/products/Kansas_City_Chiefs_2019-20-Cover_Flat-Final_large.progressive_e9fe5ae9-526c-487d-b62a-480c84692719_1296x.jpg?v=1581080392

Hammock Parties
02-05-2021, 01:25 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">HOW ARE YOU GUYS SO BAD AT YOUR JOB <a href="https://twitter.com/KCStar?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KCStar</a> ????? <a href="https://t.co/RvHOCgX27U">pic.twitter.com/RvHOCgX27U</a></p>&mdash; Ja Ja Ding Dong (@jjackson_chiefs) <a href="https://twitter.com/jjackson_chiefs/status/1357772032742731776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

F150
02-05-2021, 01:36 PM
So when is the KC Star planning to change the name of their book that they are endlessly selling?

“Hail to the (Fill in your Cancel Woke Snowflake Replacement Name)”

Also why don’t they donate proceeds of the profits they make from books and other Chiefs memorabilia towards injun causes if they are so concerned about the natives?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0192/7790/6020/products/Kansas_City_Chiefs_2019-20-Cover_Flat-Final_large.progressive_e9fe5ae9-526c-487d-b62a-480c84692719_1296x.jpg?v=1581080392

Hail to the Cities

TEX
02-05-2021, 01:41 PM
Worthless trash rag. Thought i'd see more of this garbage this week, but in reality the only story i've seen regarding name and imagery is from KC's own local newspaper.

Never seen a local paper hate a team they cover more than the Star hates the Chiefs.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article248955689.html

"Like most Kansas Citians, we wish the best of luck Sunday to the Chiefs, who will compete in their second straight Super Bowl.

The team won last year. We like their chances this year.

Millions of casual football fans will watch the game. Some of those viewers will be perplexed, perhaps even frustrated, by the team’s continued use of Native American imagery — the name, the arrowhead on the helmet, the troubling tomahawk chop and the crude chant that goes with it.

These gestures, and others like them, are clearly and appropriately endangered. Since the Chiefs last won the Super Bowl, the Washington Football Team dropped its offensive nickname, after resisting a change for decades.

Last December, the Cleveland Indians, a major league baseball team, announced plans for a new name.

“It feels historic to me,” one school board member said, and she’s right. It also feels long overdue.

The Chiefs might have joined this list. To their credit, the team made minor changes this season, and continued their dialogue with Native American groups and other interested parties about the use of imagery. But the Chiefs did not even take the important interim step of banning the offensive chop, or reconsider the team’s name.

Kansas Citians are well aware of this controversy. Most have taken positions on the name, for it or against it. We’ve implored the team several times to consider how history will judge its continued use of the imagery, and asked leadership to think again. They haven’t taken that advice.

But the Super Bowl will put the Chiefs’ decisions front and center, for tens of millions of football fans. For those fans, a message: Many Kansas Citians will cringe along with you when spectators do the chop.

We embrace the team’s on-field success, but don’t think a corrosive chant has much to do with it.

It isn’t fair to ask groups offended by these symbols to wait even longer for change.

Some day, the Chiefs will change their name. It’s inevitable. That day may be 20 years from now, or next week. But it will happen, and the team — and our region — will be better for it."

FUCK THEM!
Speaking for the majority? Bet not. Speaking for the cancel culture - bet so.

Baby Lee
02-05-2021, 01:45 PM
The oddly comforting irony, if you were to track in real time right now the 'buzz' around the KC Star, this thread is probably the most prominent blip.

srvy
02-05-2021, 01:57 PM
Its also crazy that nobody ever questions the Star's circulation claims. They are claiming something just south of a half a million printed copies? I don't know one person on my block who gets the "paper" delivered. The marketing guy in me says this number is deceptive and way overstated. The folks who advertise in the Star are more than likely being defrauded.

I can remember when I would leave for work early in the morning a fresh paper was laying on almost every driveway of neighborhoods I passed. Now it's none they are rare as diamonds.