PDA

View Full Version : Football So this is tampering, correct?

The Franchise
02-03-2021, 03:07 PM
I mean it’s pretty fucking obvious.

In a podcast interview with Cris Collinsworth and impending free agent Richard Sherman, Raiders coach Jon Gruden hinted at having interest in signing Sherman.

It was basically tampering on Gruden's behalf, as coaches and executives aren't permitted to speak with free agents until two days prior to the start of the new league year, which is in mid-March. But Gruden wasn't biting his tongue. “Richard Sherman, if you are a free agent, which there is a rumor you are, we are looking for an alpha presence in our secondary,” Gruden said. “Somebody that could play this Hawk 3-press technique with the read step. If you’re available and interested, maybe you and I can get together at some point off-air.” The Raiders need secondary help in the worst way and just hired DC Gus Bradley, who coached Sherman in Seattle and will be installing the defense Sherman has played in throughout his career. Turning 33 next month, Sherman isn't expected back in San Francisco.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-03-2021, 03:10 PM
He wouldn't commit until Sammy finds a new home

Kman34
02-03-2021, 03:13 PM
Let them sign him.. He’s not what he used to be.. Patrick would rape him..

comochiefsfan
02-03-2021, 03:14 PM
I for one welcome the idea of the Raiders signing old washed up corners.

Prison Bitch
02-03-2021, 03:15 PM
remember when we’d get all hot & bothered by signing Patrick Surtain and Ty Law?

Direckshun
02-03-2021, 03:16 PM
I mean it’s pretty ****ing obvious.

In a podcast interview with Cris Collinsworth and impending free agent Richard Sherman, Raiders coach Jon Gruden hinted at having interest in signing Sherman.

It was basically tampering on Gruden's behalf, as coaches and executives aren't permitted to speak with free agents until two days prior to the start of the new league year, which is in mid-March. But Gruden wasn't biting his tongue. “Richard Sherman, if you are a free agent, which there is a rumor you are, we are looking for an alpha presence in our secondary,” Gruden said. “Somebody that could play this Hawk 3-press technique with the read step. If you’re available and interested, maybe you and I can get together at some point off-air.” The Raiders need secondary help in the worst way and just hired DC Gus Bradley, who coached Sherman in Seattle and will be installing the defense Sherman has played in throughout his career. Turning 33 next month, Sherman isn't expected back in San Francisco.

I don't think it's tampering if he's a free agent, right?

He is a free agent. (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/richard-sherman-7873/)

Skyy God
02-03-2021, 03:20 PM

He is a free agent. (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/richard-sherman-7873/)

Set to become a FA next month.

So, def tampering.

penguinz
02-03-2021, 03:20 PM

He technically isn't a free agent until the 2021 season officially starts.

staylor26
02-03-2021, 03:21 PM

:facepalm:

He’s not a free agent yet.

We got fined a 3rd round pick because Andy Reid spoke to Maclin on the phone much closer to free agency.

The Franchise
02-03-2021, 03:22 PM

Not a free agent until the beginning of the league year.

jdubya
02-03-2021, 03:23 PM
My GOS meter isn't registering anything on this one.

staylor26
To answer the question, it’s absolutely tampering, but nothing will happen.

Pants
remember when we’d get all hot & bothered by signing Patrick Surtain and Ty Law?

I get disgusted with myself thinking back about how excited I got for Surtain. Sammy Knight too. I don't think I was super stoked about Ty Law.

jdubya
02-03-2021, 03:28 PM
The NFL defines tampering as “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media.’’ “Any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL’’

meh......nothing to see here.

dlphg9
02-03-2021, 03:31 PM
This is 100% tampering and they should lose at least one pick and get a fine.

New World Order
02-03-2021, 03:37 PM
If that's not tampering then I don't know what is

Beef Supreme
02-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Less tampering than that cost the Chiefs a 3rd round pick.

Kman34
02-03-2021, 03:58 PM
ITS TAMPERING.. WATERBOARD GRUDEN...

CaliforniaChief
02-03-2021, 04:26 PM

Seems like yesterday.
*looks at draft reports*
Now his kid is entering the league. I'm aging.

Megatron96
02-03-2021, 08:00 PM
Don’t know why we care?

RealSNR
02-03-2021, 08:10 PM
You assholes and your "Meh don't care" bullshit.

I don't care if we're superior to them in every way shape and form.

Fuck. The. Raiders.

Fine them their entire stash of draft picks. Why? Because fuck them, that's why.

Boy, for being lost in the desert for 50 fucking years until we got Patrick Mahomes, we sure got complacent in a hurry, didn't we?

rabblerouser
02-03-2021, 08:12 PM

Remember when we thought we were always just a brokedick CB away from winning it all!?

ROFL
LMAO

I was such a typical Chieffan.

dlphg9
02-03-2021, 08:17 PM
I text 610 about this and Rob text me back saying "He's a free agent". I told him not until the league year, but he didnt say anything back.

notorious
02-03-2021, 08:17 PM
For the people saying they don't care.

Imagine Kelce, Tyreek, etc. getting offers from other teams months before their contracts expire.

The NFL has to drop the hammer on this.

scho63
02-03-2021, 08:20 PM

ROFL

rabblerouser
02-03-2021, 08:31 PM
I text 610 about this and Rob text me back saying "He's a free agent". I told him not until the league year, but he didnt say anything back.

So how come Jared Veldheer could sign with the Packers for the Divisional round right after the Colts lost in the wild card, smart ass?

staylor26
02-03-2021, 08:35 PM
So how come Jared Veldheer could sign with the Packers for the Divisional round right after the Colts lost in the wild card, smart ass?

Veldheer was able to be signed by the Packers because he was on the Colts PS.

Totally different scenarios.

Bowser
02-04-2021, 12:55 AM
http://isgrudengoneyet.com/

RealSNR
02-04-2021, 06:50 AM
For the people saying they don't care.

Imagine Kelce, Tyreek, etc. getting offers from other teams months before their contracts expire.

The NFL has to drop the hammer on this.
I'm honestly a little bit disgusted at those fans who say, "Don't care"

Coochie liquor
02-04-2021, 06:55 AM
This is 100% tampering and they should have to give Carr a 10 year contract and get a fine.

Fyp

Buehler445
02-04-2021, 07:22 AM

Dark days indeed.

You assholes and your "Meh don't care" bullshit.

I don't care if we're superior to them in every way shape and form.

Fuck. The. Raiders.

Fine them their entire stash of draft picks. Why? Because fuck them, that's why.

Boy, for being lost in the desert for 50 fucking years until we got Patrick Mahomes, we sure got complacent in a hurry, didn't we?

This man. This man right here gets it.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/34483141.jpg

dlphg9
02-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Veldheer was able to be signed by the Packers because he was on the Colts PS.

Totally different scenarios.

Staylor answered it for me. Way to look really smart, smart ass.

htismaqe
02-04-2021, 08:01 AM
I'm honestly a little bit disgusted at those fans who say, "Don't care"

Exactly.

This is about the integrity of the process. You let this snowball roll and the sky is the limit.

If the Chiefs are gonna get pinched because of the Maclin situation, the NFL absolutely has to levy a punishment for this.

PutQuinnIn
02-04-2021, 10:14 AM
Isn't he hurt every year and misses half a season?

lcarus
02-04-2021, 10:22 AM
After much serious contemplation (a good 3 seconds anyway) I have to agree with SNR here. Fuck the Raiders to eternity.

wazu
02-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Gotta think the NFL cracks down on this. We may not agree with the level of severity based on what they did to us, but they absolutely have to lose a draft pick.

Grim
02-04-2021, 10:32 AM
Less tampering than that cost the Chiefs a 3rd round pick.
The Chiefs also lost a sixth for that tampering but they were in direct communication with Maclin and talking contract numbers.

The Raiders should get dinged for it. I think penalizing them a 6th round pick would be too stiff.... a 7th sounds about right.

wazu
02-04-2021, 10:50 AM
The Chiefs also lost a sixth for that tampering but they were in direct communication with Maclin and talking contract numbers.

The Raiders should get dinged for it. I think penalizing them a 6th round pick would be too stiff.... a 7th sounds about right.

Screw that. This is a flagrant violation through the media for all to see. 3rd round pick is to be expected given precedent set.

htismaqe
02-04-2021, 11:32 AM

Um, no.

The Chiefs lost TWO picks - a 2016 third-round draft pick and 2017 sixth-round draft pick.

This should warrant at least a 4th rounder.

Bowser
02-04-2021, 11:52 AM
Um, no.

The Chiefs lost TWO picks - a 2016 third-round draft pick and 2017 sixth-round draft pick.

And suspend Sherman the first four games if he signs with Vegas. :D

(Just as an aside, is Sherman at that spot in his career where he makes the move to safety?)

Sassy Squatch
02-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Please sign him. Absolutely destroyed his worthless ass in the Super Bowl.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Bury the Faid

Grim
02-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Um, no.

Umm... yeah...
He said they lost a third.
I said they also lost a sixth.
The Chiefs negotiated contract details with Maclin..they had terms before FA began... Gruden didn't do much more than state interest publicly.

staylor26
02-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Umm... yeah...
If you can't keep up, perhaps you shouldn't join in.ROFL

Well based on precedent your claim that they should only be fined a 7th makes no fucking sense.

Grim
02-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Well based on precedent your claim that they should only be fined a 7th makes no ****ing sense.
Howso?
The Chiefs negotiated terms with Maclin before FA.
The Raiders just expressed interest.
A 7th would be more appropriate.

dlphg9
02-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Umm... yeah...
The Chiefs negotiated contract details with Maclin..they had terms before FA began... Gruden didn't do much more than state interest publicly.

You have no idea what you are talking about. All the Chiefs did was have direct contact with Maclin.

http://es.pn/1QEAqur

Chiefs lose picks, fined for pursuit of Jeremy Maclin in 2015
play
Chiefs penalized for violating anti-tampering rule (2:25)
Mar 9, 2016
Adam Teicher
ESPN Staff Writer
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Chiefs were fined and stripped of two draft picks by the NFL for a violation of the league's anti-tampering policy for having improper contact with wide receiver Jeremy Maclin before the start of last year's free-agent signing period.

The Chiefs will lose their third-round draft pick this year and their sixth-round choice in 2017. The Chiefs were also fined $250,000. Coach Andy Reid was fined $75,000, and general manager John Dorsey was fined $25,000.

The only thing they did wrong was directly contact Maclin during the negotiating period prior to free agency. They were only allowed to talk to the agent.

So yeah I'd say what Gruden did is alot worse and he told Sherman to get with him after to talk if he was interested. That's tampering like hell. They should at minimum lose a 2nd.

dlphg9
02-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Howso?
The Chiefs negotiated terms with Maclin before FA.
The Raiders just expressed interest.
A 7th would be more appropriate.

There is no report that said they negotiated directly with Maclin. Just that they spoke. The Chiefs got a lesser penalty for cooperating and giving all phone records. If the Chiefs would have talked contract directly with Maclin, then it would have been reported.