PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Valheim

keg in kc
02-07-2021, 12:39 PM
The big new thing on Steam right now. Early access Viking survival RPG that is only $19.99 (!!!). I watched a number of hours of different guys streaming it yesterday, and I'm tempted to get it even though my PC is complete shit. If it ever comes to console, I'm all over it...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/

<iframe width="921" height="518" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IAMPr9kytfk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam
02-07-2021, 07:04 PM
me and some buddies have been playing a ton but still feels like a ton more left to do.

pretty cool game, well worth 20 bucks

unlurking
02-08-2021, 12:37 PM
Looks fun. Amon Amarth in the game too or just one of the trailers? :D

BigBeauford
02-08-2021, 01:30 PM
I bought.

Imon Yourside
02-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Bought it after our ummm ya yesterday and stayed up way too long playing it with a buddy. These dudes are gonna be rich haha!

Warning! Once you start playing it you won't be able to stop! :)

unlurking
02-08-2021, 08:38 PM
Anyone else have problems with the workbench not working?

EDIT: I ended up having to extend the side walls and roof, up and out one additional wall length. Easily spent 2+ hours rebuilding and testing on two different world instances trying to troubleshoot. May be a Linux specific issue.

Imon Yourside
02-08-2021, 11:12 PM
Anyone else have problems with the workbench not working?

I have yet to encounter a single bug which is quite surprising for an Early Access title.

unlurking
02-09-2021, 07:39 AM
I have yet to encounter a single bug which is quite surprising for an Early Access title.

Now that I can build a workbench (albeit extra effort) I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. Basically building and running around exploring so far, have not yet gone after the first foresaken. Been killed by trees twice. lol

keg in kc
02-09-2021, 09:54 AM
Now that I can build a workbench (albeit extra effort) I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. Basically building and running around exploring so far, have not yet gone after the first foresaken. Been killed by trees twice. lolI've been playing real slow and cautious. Spent several hours building a shack and and exploring the meadows area around me, finding the edges of the black forest region. Made leather armor and upgraded all the gear I could to tier 3. Tried the first forsaken last night before bed and he was a piece of cake. Swam across the river in front of my house and found more meadows so I'm going to explore that and then figure out where I want to build my initial black forest expedition camp.

This may be the best $20 I've ever spent on a game.

Imon Yourside
02-09-2021, 01:48 PM
I've been playing real slow and cautious. Spent several hours building a shack and and exploring the meadows area around me, finding the edges of the black forest region. Made leather armor and upgraded all the gear I could to tier 3. Tried the first forsaken last night before bed and he was a piece of cake. Swam across the river in front of my house and found more meadows so I'm going to explore that and then figure out where I want to build my initial black forest expedition camp.

This may be the best $20 I've ever spent on a game.

I'm still hooked and can't wait to play more, Dang their goes more of my life lol.

Actually i'm doing the opposite i'm spreading out making little outposts everywhere because honestly death is just part of the game. Tons of content thus far and the map is GIGANTIC so I hope it continues to hold my attention.

keg in kc
02-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Death isn't a part of my game. Haven't come close to dying yet.

keg in kc
02-09-2021, 03:42 PM
My first little shack at the start of the game.

Beef Supreme
02-09-2021, 03:46 PM
What's so great about this game? It looks like basic bitch survival game number 999876. What am I missing?

alanm
02-09-2021, 04:50 PM
What's so great about this game? It looks like basic bitch survival game number 999876. What am I missing?Vikings Man!!

Imon Yourside
02-09-2021, 05:30 PM
What's so great about this game? It looks like basic bitch survival game number 999876. What am I missing?

Very polished, has bosses and you level up. Huge procedurally generated world and to be honest look at its competition everything but this sucks right now. It reminds me of a ps2 graphics version of minecraft with some badass lighting and really high frame rates.

To sum it up nothing groundbreaking, just incorporates a lot of other games good ideas into one package and gives you that feeling of NOT wanting to put it down.

Imon Yourside
02-09-2021, 05:31 PM
Vikings Man!!

Hah not even a fan of the mythos but the game is fun.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vm4afjS__oo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam
02-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Putting more and more time into this game. really cool game. very do whatever the fuck you wantish, tons of fun with friends. Shenanigans and freedom.

TambaBerry
02-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Yeah I'm enjoying it, found some dungeons last night and working our way up to boss fights. Really wanting to build an entire village

Otter
02-12-2021, 05:06 PM
I'm jaded against pre-release games after being burned so I'll hold off but I do like they cross over between MMO survival.

hometeam
02-12-2021, 07:37 PM
I'm jaded against pre-release games after being burned so I'll hold off but I do like they cross over between MMO survival.

This game is fin sweet dude EA or not

Imon Yourside
02-12-2021, 09:06 PM
This game is fin sweet dude EA or not

Ironically it's LESS EA than most AAA releases nowadays.

stumppy
02-12-2021, 09:41 PM
First off, I haven't played any game in years. The last time I was into gaming I was playing Far Cry 2.
After watching the video in the OP and reading how much everyone here liked it I went ahead and bought it. Killer game. I'm just exploring and collecting shit right now but everything about this game is top notch as far as I can tell. A lot of fun for $20.

unlurking
02-16-2021, 11:47 PM
Finally got around to setting up a dedicated server tonight. Basically starting over and still enjoying. Thanks for the heads up on this keg, I haven't done any gaming in years (decades) and this is a fun and almost nostalgic jump back in with the graphics and the small PvE servers.

Imon Yourside
02-17-2021, 08:01 AM
Anyone seen the Shadowy Figure following them around at night? It disappears when you walk towards it. I was wondering if anything happens involving him later in the story. No spoilers just a yes or no would do.

unlurking
02-17-2021, 09:40 AM
Anyone seen the Shadowy Figure following them around at night? It disappears when you walk towards it. I was wondering if anything happens involving him later in the story. No spoilers just a yes or no would do.
I have not, but will start watching for! I've been trying to avoid most spoilers too. How many bosses have you killed? Maybe it's a part of the story line for the next boss? I've only finished Eikthyr (sp) and recently restarted. Again. lol

Imon Yourside
02-17-2021, 02:21 PM
I have not, but will start watching for! I've been trying to avoid most spoilers too. How many bosses have you killed? Maybe it's a part of the story line for the next boss? I've only finished Eikthyr (sp) and recently restarted. Again. lol

I've only killed the 2nd boss but ya it's creepy and happens in the woods at night very strange lol.

unlurking
02-17-2021, 02:24 PM
That sounds awesome. :D

hometeam
02-17-2021, 05:23 PM

was really fun the first time we saw it. we even saw it with 3 of us and as we krept closer it would snap to one of the 3 positions looking at us.

AS of now I believe it is only an easter egg and there is no interaction. Ive tried shooting it, rushing it. walking backwards, sneaking, everything. Just a ghost~

Fish
02-17-2021, 05:34 PM
I bet it's Odin checking up on his warriors...

Fish
02-17-2021, 11:00 PM
So, I played this for a while. It's Viking Minecraft. Finally figured out a starter house. Had to look up how to build a damn fire, LOL. Then how to build a chimney so the rain didn't put it out. Had some pretty comic deaths. Found a skeleton castle with stairs that were glitched so I couldn't get upstairs to the chest. Running out of stamina while fleeing enemies is frustrating as hell. The forest areas seemed way congested with stuff sometimes though so you couldn't see where you're going while running around. Clearly has some physics issues that could be improved. Considering I've seen like 0.0001% of the map, I'm intrigued...

alanm
02-18-2021, 10:29 PM
Anyone seen the Shadowy Figure following them around at night? It disappears when you walk towards it. I was wondering if anything happens involving him later in the story. No spoilers just a yes or no would do.It's Odin. He pops in now and then just to watch and keep a eye on you. If it were a wraith you would know but you only encounter them in the swamp.

alanm
02-18-2021, 10:31 PM
I've only killed the 2nd boss but ya it's creepy and happens in the woods at night very strange lol.He pops up it the day time too. I've only seen him once. Maybe you guys need more help. ;)

alanm
02-18-2021, 10:34 PM
So, I played this for a while. It's Viking Minecraft. Finally figured out a starter house. Had to look up how to build a damn fire, LOL. Then how to build a chimney so the rain didn't put it out. Had some pretty comic deaths. Found a skeleton castle with stairs that were glitched so I couldn't get upstairs to the chest. Running out of stamina while fleeing enemies is frustrating as hell. The forest areas seemed way congested with stuff sometimes though so you couldn't see where you're going while running around. Clearly has some physics issues that could be improved. Considering I've seen like 0.0001% of the map, I'm intrigued...You can jump up if stairs are missing. Every thing you do increases your ability to do things. There are a lot of tutorials on youtube about doing things if you need help.

alanm
02-18-2021, 10:37 PM
I'm loving this game. Graphics aren't the greatest but there not supposed to be. Watch out for death mosquitos and wolves and Goblins. Their instant death until you build up the ability to fight them off.

hometeam
02-18-2021, 10:41 PM
ive progressed as far as the game allows. Now we are just fleshing out our base for fun. Pretty cool game with lots of potential AND mod potential. Thats gonna be the endgame for this. Big, fat, juicy, mods.

kccrow
02-18-2021, 10:42 PM
I thought about it for a while because I like games like 7 Days to Die. Just watched some friends play for a long while but it left me feeling like it's too much MMO, crossed bits of Life is Feudal and Rust. Meh. Probably will not get.

Imon Yourside
02-19-2021, 05:50 AM
ive progressed as far as the game allows. Now we are just fleshing out our base for fun. Pretty cool game with lots of potential AND mod potential. Thats gonna be the endgame for this. Big, fat, juicy, mods.

I surely hope so, does it have workshop? I know it's early but I haven't seen any mods for it. Modded games are always the most fun to me and I can't wait for that to become reality in this.

*doesn't have workshop yet hopefully in the future.

hometeam
02-19-2021, 07:57 PM
I surely hope so, does it have workshop? I know it's early but I haven't seen any mods for it. Modded games are always the most fun to me and I can't wait for that to become reality in this.

*doesn't have workshop yet hopefully in the future.

it does not have workshop, and they have said recently they will not be 'officially' supporting mods.

100% promise that dont matter one bit and there are gonna be tons of mods for this game, ala minecraft. Minecraft technically does not support mods yet there are ten thousand mods out there for it. Gonna be the same way.

Imon Yourside
02-20-2021, 02:03 AM
it does not have workshop, and they have said recently they will not be 'officially' supporting mods.

100% promise that dont matter one bit and there are gonna be tons of mods for this game, ala minecraft. Minecraft technically does not support mods yet there are ten thousand mods out there for it. Gonna be the same way.

Right I did see a few mods for it but they seem to have a chance at messing up your savegame on updates. I'm going to hold off for now until it's more stable.

keg in kc
02-20-2021, 10:24 PM
ive progressed as far as the game allows. Now we are just fleshing out our base for fun. Pretty cool game with lots of potential AND mod potential. Thats gonna be the endgame for this. Big, fat, juicy, mods.As far as the game allows right now. My understanding is that there will be more biomes introduced in the future. And my interpretation of that is that more biomes equals more forsaken and more crafting progression.

I'm kind of going the opposite route as you. I'm building this massive base, but have so far only killed the initial forsaken.

Fish
02-21-2021, 12:54 AM

Wait... so does this Early Access "Version" limit your progress?

kcxiv
02-21-2021, 02:24 AM

im pretty sure he means they have just done all the content that it has to offer.

hometeam
02-21-2021, 05:13 PM

Nope,

there is just a finite amount of progression at the moment, which depending on how you play I would say most people are going to get somewhere between 60-150 hours out of it unless they really get into building, and then it can go infinitely. Plus you can still help friends, make new characters, challenge yourself, roleplay, etc.

and mods are starting to come out of the woodwork

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/

TambaBerry
02-23-2021, 11:10 AM
spent two hours last night just sailing around lol i might be addicted to this damn game

unlurking
02-23-2021, 03:21 PM
I'm about 30 hours in, just started my 2nd base in the black forest to start working towards bronze and the elder. The spot I picked for my new base is right next to a greydwarf spawn area and it's taking me forever just to get some clear cutting done so I can start to expand my base. So far, really enjoying this game.

My only disappointment right now is that I can't get my server to show up in the list. Have to connect by IP, and it won't take an FQDN either. Hope they fix that soon.

Fish
03-02-2021, 11:53 PM
Made it to the Bronze age, and haven't even fought the second boss. Trying to reach the Elder, but the water travel is a bitch. Get a proper workbench close to the water, blah blah. Then I finally get a raft on the water, and it proceeds to rain for almost 2 days, LOL. Made about 4 days in-game travel, and set up another camp at a draugr fort, after almost dying clearing it out. Setup my first teleport ring, and name it "Draugr fort." Teleport back to my main camp, and immediately renamed that teleport ring because I didn't know how they worked. Then couldn't remember how to type "Draugr fort" correctly(maybe a little drunk) to connect back to the remote one. Had to walk back, LOL. :banghead:

Fun though. And I haven't really even scratched the surface... Looking up some info, and see motherfuckers building full out castles?

Imon Yourside
03-03-2021, 01:50 AM
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wd48qaf6OwU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch
07-08-2021, 12:26 PM
spent two hours last night just sailing around lol i might be addicted to this damn game

I am.

I plan to get a server on GPortal. Anyone be interested?...

eDave
07-08-2021, 10:40 PM
How's the development been coming along so far? For $20, it's the perfect game for me to waste some time on from time to time when I want to get away.

Rausch
07-12-2021, 03:52 PM
How's the development been coming along so far? For $20, it's the perfect game for me to waste some time on from time to time when I want to get away.

I've only been playing about two months and IIRC the last patch came out a week before I d/loaded it. I've never played a pre-release before so I don't know how often patches and updates usually come out.

I can say I haven't run in to a single bug yet. Not one in 2 months of playing. That wasn't true of ARK after 5 years...

alanm
07-12-2021, 04:33 PM
I've only been playing about two months and IIRC the last patch came out a week before I d/loaded it. I've never played a pre-release before so I don't know how often patches and updates usually come out.

I can say I haven't run in to a single bug yet. Not one in 2 months of playing. That wasn't true of ARK after 5 years...There's a guy on You Tube named Raptor that does a bunch of tutorials on Valheim in case you're interested. He's been through all the bosses and built a shitload of stuff. The swamp is a ass kicker to get thru. The Death mosquitoes are brutal. :eek: But their mostly on the prairies.

BleedingRed
07-12-2021, 09:08 PM
I beat this game with some friends and a dedicated server. Great game, not near enough content.

They would do well to flesh out instancing, so you could go raiding etc. all in all loved it, but has very little replay ability

Imon Yourside
07-12-2021, 11:21 PM
I beat this game with some friends and a dedicated server. Great game, not near enough content.

They would do well to flesh out instancing, so you could go raiding etc. all in all loved it, but has very little replay ability

Yup I hit a wall a while back.

alanm
07-13-2021, 07:08 AM
Yup I hit a wall a while back.There is going to be new bosses and new realms to explore soon. Right now the game is still in it's infancy. IMO they released it way too soon. It's a small group of developers and most likely needed money to continue.

Imon Yourside
07-13-2021, 06:31 PM
There is going to be new bosses and new realms to explore soon. Right now the game is still in it's infancy. IMO they released it way too soon. It's a small group of developers and most likely needed money to continue.

Sure I understand it's ea. I come back to games all the time, most things I play are in early beta to start.

Rausch
07-14-2021, 04:02 PM
Yup I hit a wall a while back.

These games with building systems I could play forever. Base construction is probably as much fun to me as playing the damned thing...

Fish
07-14-2021, 04:20 PM
I stopped playing after reaching the iron era and seeing how hard it was to get iron scrap back to your base. The swamp sucks...

Imon Yourside
07-17-2021, 02:25 AM
I stopped playing after reaching the iron era and seeing how hard it was to get iron scrap back to your base. The swamp sucks...

Mod the game to your liking.

eDave
09-04-2021, 03:18 AM
Making my move to tackle Iron, I moved to a new island, established a base, tagged my bed. On my final boat trip, loaded with portal ingredients, I find 2 Trolls smashing the fuck out of my new base. They smell my ass and come at me at a speed I've never seen. I dropped sail, went full starboard, and smashed me to a pulp before the sail dropped. I promptly respawn in my bed where I am promptly smashed to fuck by these fucking asshole Trolls because they saw me while they were assaulting my smelter.

These fuckers left nothing but the bed which is parked right into a concrete corner against a dug out cliff. So I think, I'll just destroy the bed each time I respawn and I'll respawn 100 miles away and take pause to grind metal to get back to where I keep getting my shit shoved back up my ass. ​

I can't even get out of the bed before I get my shit shoved up every single hole.

I just want to find a gap so I can run like hell, into a swamp or plain where I will promptly get my shit shoved it.

Valheim is a metaphor for life and I'm not sure if Valheim isn't hell.

eDave
02-07-2022, 03:06 PM
Corporate HQ

https://i.ibb.co/frFNKLW/Day.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zZbgM1M/Day2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/w0kC1S1/Night.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/dpkwZH9/NIght2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/tZ5C0H7/NIght3.jpg

BleedingRed
02-07-2022, 05:13 PM
So me and friends discovered the mods for better graphics and bringing ore through portals and better raids…. We are about to start playing again

hometeam
02-07-2022, 08:47 PM
ive been playing on a mmo-styled multiplayer server called tyrenheim, still having tons of fun

Ming the Merciless
12-21-2023, 06:06 PM
damn, edave's base looks legit

i just picked this up and killed the second boss. working my way to the 3rd but troll raids and druger raids are getting annoying. Iron doesnt seem easy to get.

My village is suffering.

Ming the Merciless
12-21-2023, 06:07 PM
So me and friends discovered the mods for better graphics and bringing ore through portals and better raids…. We are about to start playing again

do tell

Imon Yourside
12-21-2023, 10:49 PM
Best game of the last few years :)

Rausch
12-22-2023, 06:02 AM
Best game of the last few years :)

I do love this game. It's the model for a successful indie game.

I haven't played it in like a year now but mostly due to the fact that wen I do I lose large batches of time. 6 or 7 hours flies by.

Imon Yourside
12-28-2023, 09:15 AM
<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q5SwVSCyQgM" title="The Black Bastion - Valheim Dark Fantasy Megabuild" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the mod Planbuild you can download that from here

https://www.valheimians.com/build/the-black-bastion/

and 1 click place it in your world.

go bo
04-19-2024, 05:06 AM
I love this game because you can build and grow your own settlement over time. And you can fight battles worthy of Valhalla. The only thing I wish it had more of was taming and riding. I mean, the ability to tame a few creatures and saddle one.
My friends and I play it every day. But not all of us can leave our PCs running 24/7 for the server. So we got a private server because some of my friends play early or at random times during the day. And we won't lose our world if someone's PC dies. We got our server from SuperCraft (https://supercraft.host/valheim-server-hosting/), in case someone might need one.

Rausch
04-21-2024, 07:37 AM
With the mod Planbuild you can download that from here

https://www.valheimians.com/build/the-black-bastion/

and 1 click place it in your world.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fFINcK3xcfs?si=ZljJCLq5Y1987mom" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is pretty impressive as well.

Imon Yourside
04-21-2024, 11:15 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fFINcK3xcfs?si=ZljJCLq5Y1987mom" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is pretty impressive as well.

Good to see, I figured with all the new survival games this one would take a back seat.