PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Mattress hunting

03-03-2021, 06:23 AM
Been trying to find a new mattress since mine is damn old tempurpedic. Tried two from oki but they just didn't fit the bill. Purchased a beautyrest black series x and haven't been able to sleep for more than an hour at a time. I've never had this problem before. I might wake up sore but I've always been able to sleep on any mattress. Except this one.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Looks like I'm going to have to exchange it for a new tempurpedic.

HemiEd
03-03-2021, 06:30 AM
There are a couple pretty good mattress threads on here and that is how we learned about the original mattress factory. https://www.originalmattress.com/

Several years ago, the big mattress companies made the mattresses one sided so you can't flip them.

These you can flip and we absolutely love ours. We had gone through several new mattresses including posturepedic, beautyrest, sealy etc in the last few years that all developed uneven support.

03-03-2021, 06:37 AM
There are a couple pretty good mattress threads on here and that is how we learned about the original mattress factory. https://www.originalmattress.com/

Several years ago, the big mattress companies made the mattresses one sided so you can't flip them.

These you can flip and we absolutely love ours. We had gone through several new mattresses including posturepedic, beautyrest, sealy etc in the last few years that all developed uneven support.

Thanks. I'm tied to the store at this point since they only do store credit on exchanges.

HemiEd
03-03-2021, 06:49 AM
Thanks. I'm tied to the store at this point since they only do store credit on exchanges.

I understand, we went through that with Mattress Firm ourselves and finally said fuck it.

Hopefully you find a suitable one.

It was coincedence that we were ready to pull the trigger with them and found out their factory was in Virginia Beach where we were headed to see my wife's sister.

The shipping/delivery story is worthy of a couple beers around the camp fire.

stevieray
03-03-2021, 08:08 AM
What kind of caliber does it take to bring down a King?

KC_Lee
03-03-2021, 08:09 AM
Do you have your mattress blind?
Are you planning on wearing mattress urine to cover your scent?

Dayze
03-03-2021, 08:14 AM
Love our purple mattress. had it a littel over a year and a half I think. so far so good.
not sure which stores sell them; we got ours at Macy's.

TambaBerry
03-03-2021, 12:50 PM
We bougta nectar about six months ago and personally love it

Rain Man
03-03-2021, 12:55 PM
I find that mattress hunting works best when I go out at night and shine a bright spotlight directly on them. But be warned that it wakes up the ladies sleeping on them and they call the police.

Indian Chief
03-03-2021, 01:39 PM
You are a treasure Rain Man. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Jewish Rabbi
03-03-2021, 07:00 PM
Not sure about mattress hunting but Frazod can show you how to hunt a refrigerator.

eDave
03-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Don't lead them as much. They are deceptively slow.

03-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Dammit guys
LMAO

Answer the question.

digger
03-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Been trying to find a new mattress since mine is damn old tempurpedic. Tried two from oki but they just didn't fit the bill. Purchased a beautyrest black series x and haven't been able to sleep for more than an hour at a time. I've never had this problem before. I might wake up sore but I've always been able to sleep on any mattress. Except this one.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Looks like I'm going to have to exchange it for a new tempurpedic. Following, on a purple now, this after 2k at NFM that just didn't work, this is the 3rd different one in 18 months, next one likely a sleep number, but I've not been told good things.

About ready to give up...

Eureka
03-03-2021, 07:16 PM
I found that individual coils suck.

I was able to find one through Macys that has coils that are connected. Kind of like the old-school mattress. Took 4 different mattress's and finally had to contact the supplier of my old mattress who said they only make it for the Macys line.

Keyword is connected Coils. Good luck on finding one. Maybe, the place you are now forced to buy a mattress from has a coil setup like this.

Peter Gibbons
03-03-2021, 07:22 PM
I hate mattress shopping. The consequence of getting the decision wrong is terrible sleep. Then you have to try and correct the problem while sleep deprived. It’s a rigged game. I suggest strong stimulants to avoid sleeping all together. Good luck!

HemiEd
03-03-2021, 08:11 PM
I found that individual coils suck.

I was able to find one through Macys that has coils that are connected. Kind of like the old-school mattress. Took 4 different mattress's and finally had to contact the supplier of my old mattress who said they only make it for the Macys line.

Keyword is connected Coils. Good luck on finding one. Maybe, the place you are now forced to buy a mattress from has a coil setup like this.

Original Mattress Factory is connected coils and it is very heavy. They had cutaways of the top competitors there on the floor that was pretty interesting.

We went to the sleep number shop and I couldn't get out of that dog and pony show quick enough. But we did lay down on and try several of their mattresses. They reminded me of the old Kirby vacuum cleaner sales people.

dlphg9
03-03-2021, 08:52 PM
I hate my fucking bed. I've had it about 2 years now and I still wake up with hip and back pain. The hip pain makes it hard to walk. I think the mattress is too soft, because our old mattress was pretty firm and I was sleeping on that like a baby, but it was like 10 years old and the old lady wanted something softer.

So I'm either

A. Getting a sleep number bed

Or

B. Getting a firm mattress topper and then buying this bad boy and slapping it on there https://www.eightsleep.com/product/pod-pro-cover/

03-03-2021, 09:05 PM
I've never had that happen before. I just could not sleep at all on this mattress. Plus it's marketed as a cooling mattress and I felt like I was baking on it. It was the beautyrest black X series firm. I was expecting the best sleep of my life not the absolute worst.

Decided to get the upgraded tempurpedic adapt. Hopefully it's ultimately worth the money considering its not much different than what I've been sleeping on for the last 13 years.

BryanBusby
03-03-2021, 09:07 PM
I got the hybrid Tempurpedic with an adjustable base.

Fucking expensive and fucking worth it.

htismaqe
03-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Make sure to use a bow and arrow.

Shotguns make a mess.

htismaqe
03-03-2021, 09:09 PM

We went from a Sleep Number (didn't really like it) to Tempur-Pedic (didn't really like it either) to a Nectar. The Nectar actually sleeps the best of the 3. The biggest problem with the Tempur was that it was always really hot, even with all the "cooling" add-ons.

Mr. Wizard
03-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Anybody have a split queen? I have got to find a way to learn to sleep on my back. I understand you basically use two large singles. We don’t mind paying what it takes, just want good sleep.

htismaqe
03-03-2021, 09:23 PM
Anybody have a split queen? I have got to find a way to learn to sleep on my back. I understand you basically use two large singles. We don’t mind paying what it takes, just want good sleep.

We have a split king.

BryanBusby
03-03-2021, 09:26 PM
We went from a Sleep Number (didn't really like it) to Tempur-Pedic (didn't really like it either) to a Nectar. The Nectar actually sleeps the best of the 3. The biggest problem with the Tempur was that it was always really hot, even with all the "cooling" add-ons.
That was my biggest concern when we picked it out because I usually sleep hot and I fucking hate it.

I don't know if it's because we got the top end mattress protector when we bought it at NFM or because we got a hybrid mattress instead, but I have not had any issues with the heat.

It really has been a pleasant bed for us.

htismaqe
03-03-2021, 09:27 PM
That was my biggest concern when we picked it out because I usually sleep hot and I fucking hate it.

I don't know if it's because we got the top end mattress protector when we bought it at NFM or because we got a hybrid mattress instead, but I have not had any issues with the heat.

It really has been a pleasant bed for us.

We had the mattress protector, the cooling pad, and everything else. None of it worked. It was sweltering, even in winter.

Strongside
03-03-2021, 09:32 PM
We bought a Casper and love it.

mlyonsd
03-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't give up my 20 year old temperpedic for anything except another one that is adjustable.

Eureka
03-03-2021, 09:37 PM
Original Mattress Factory is connected coils and it is very heavy. They had cutaways of the top competitors there on the floor that was pretty interesting.

We went to the sleep number shop and I couldn't get out of that dog and pony show quick enough. But we did lay down on and try several of their mattresses. They reminded me of the old Kirby vacuum cleaner sales people.

Yeah, those people probably work on commission. Connected coils worked for me as well.

I'm thinking about buying a side sleeper pillow. I think someone recommended it in one of the other mattress threads.

T-post Tom
03-03-2021, 09:57 PM
https://shop.fourseasons.com/collections/mattress

dlphg9
03-04-2021, 01:12 AM
Yeah, those people probably work on commission. Connected coils worked for me as well.

I'm thinking about buying a side sleeper pillow. I think someone recommended it in one of the other mattress threads.

Do you sleep on your side? If so are you putting a pillow between legs? Keeps the spine properly aligned. Also make sure your neck is parallel with your mattress.

This has become a huge pet peeve of mine, when friends/acquaintances of mine would talk about how comfortable their bed is because of all their pillows. Like 10 mother fuckin pillows on a bed and I'm like how the hell would all those pillows be comfortable. I sleep with one pillow usually and my fiance sleeps with 2 and then I chuck the rest off the bed. They just take up room and break your god damn neck.

cooper barrett
03-04-2021, 02:26 AM
I used to buy mine at JC Penney outlet,

The last mattress was a hybrid from IKIA and after 5 years it is needing replacement. Ikea is shipping a new mattress to my new next week at no charge.

KCUnited
03-04-2021, 07:15 AM
I'm simple and prefer a really firm mattress with a pancake thin pillow. Grabbed Beautyrest Silver Xtra Firm on Covid sale last year and love it. It's like sleeping on a soft floor.

I roll over on it and my entire spine ripple pops and I feel great everyday.

Nickhead
04-09-2021, 05:22 AM
if it's got a hot chick in it, it's a good mattress ;)

cooper barrett
04-09-2021, 07:14 AM
So by putting a sheet of plywood and a mattress protector over my Ikea Hybrid, I can kiss the bone cracker goodbye?

I'm simple and prefer a really firm mattress with a pancake thin pillow. Grabbed Beautyrest Silver Xtra Firm on Covid sale last year and love it. It's like sleeping on a soft floor.

I roll over on it and my entire spine ripple pops and I feel great everyday.

BigBeauford
04-09-2021, 07:19 AM
Perfect timing on this thread since we are on the hunt too. I want a firm AF bed.

Saulbadguy
04-09-2021, 07:29 AM
Wouldn't give up my 20 year old temperpedic for anything except another one that is adjustable.

This. Tempurpedic is definitely worth the money.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-09-2021, 10:43 AM
This. Tempurpedic is definitely worth the money.

^this^ had my first adjustable one for about a year and its great.

Reroka
04-09-2021, 10:49 AM

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Looks like I'm going to have to exchange it for a new tempurpedic.

Sleep Number bed. Love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rams Fan
04-09-2021, 11:49 AM
I worked in corporate HQ for one of these companies and seeing some of these responses makes me laugh. LMAO

Sofa King
04-09-2021, 12:14 PM
I worked in corporate HQ for one of these companies and seeing some of these responses makes me laugh. LMAO

Why

JohnnyHammersticks
04-09-2021, 12:20 PM
I was about to fork out a few grand on a new mattress and got talked into trying a 3" memory foam mattress topper before I did. Threw it on top of my old pillowtop Serta and wouldn't even think about buying a new mattress now. Total cost ~ $100. Think the brand was Dreamfoam or something like that.

Shoes
04-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Obligatory:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BRp_z3HwIlg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rams Fan
04-09-2021, 02:09 PM
Why

Some of the comments regarding the quality of the products could not be further from the truth as well as understanding how the whole business works.

Realistically in the U.S. there’s only 3-4 manufacturers that dominate the market and everything else is not worth bringing up, especially in terms of quality.

Sofa King
04-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Some of the comments regarding the quality of the products could not be further from the truth as well as understanding how the whole business works.

Realistically in the U.S. there’s only 3-4 manufacturers that dominate the market and everything else is not worth bringing up, especially in terms of quality.

Well, let's hear it from an expert. Whatcha got? Can't just come in and say this stuff without actually taking the time to write up some advice from your experience.

04-09-2021, 02:36 PM

Details please. Break it down for us phlebes.

Donger
04-09-2021, 02:36 PM
I wonder what it costs to make a mattress, particularly one that retails for thousands.

Rams Fan
04-09-2021, 03:08 PM
So, realistically within the U.S., there are four manufacturers that are likely viable long term:

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

Casper's IPO went terrible and they aren't making a profit any time soon due to their high cost of marketing with low sales.

Bed in the boxes, for the most part, are complete crap given the material. Some are decent, most are bad.

Depending on the manufacturer, they're probably charging 70-80% more than the actual manufacturing cost of the product.

Some manufacturers/retailers don't operate on a commission system for their stores and their sales people get paid a flat rate.

Best time to look for mattress products is Thursday-Monday, especially around the times of Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Black Friday, and President's Day.

Also, depending on the manufacturer, the cost of their product might be the same as going to a whole saler (ie: Mattress Firm) or purchasing directly from a manufacturer's website, regardless of region.

Mattress industry is super ****ing profitable.

Online shopping is booming for mattresses and is probably going to lead to more bed in boxes to flood the market, when the majority of them are absolute dog shit because it doesn't cost shit to make a mattress but you can make a gigantic profit off selling one.

Eureka
04-09-2021, 03:34 PM
So, realistically within the U.S., there are four manufacturers that are likely viable long term:

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

Casper's IPO went terrible and they aren't making a profit any time soon due to their high cost of marketing with low sales.

Bed in the boxes, for the most part, are complete crap given the material. Some are decent, most are bad.

Depending on the manufacturer, they're probably charging 70-80% more than the actual manufacturing cost of the product.

Some manufacturers/retailers don't operate on a commission system for their stores and their sales people get paid a flat rate.

Best time to look for mattress products is Thursday-Monday, especially around the times of Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Black Friday, and President's Day.

Also, depending on the manufacturer, the cost of their product might be the same as going to a whole saler (ie: Mattress Firm) or purchasing directly from a manufacturer's website, regardless of region.

Online shopping is booming for mattresses and is probably going to lead to more bed in boxes to flood the market, when the majority of them are absolute dog shit because it doesn't cost shit to make a mattress but you can make a gigantic profit off selling one.

This is good info. I sold mattress's for a bit and the profit margin was huge. Recently tried a bed in box mattress and quickly sent it back.

Had an Airloom before and couldn't find an Airloom that had traditional old school coils that my old bed had. But I did find out that Airloom still made that mattress, just now only for the Macy's hotel collection. At 50% off it still cost 3k. It was worth it to me because after trying 3 different beds this new Airloom felt like that last one.

Bed shopping kind of sucks!

ljmhawk
04-09-2021, 04:21 PM
i’m looking for a new mattress as well. been looking at the dreamcloud hybrid or cocoon chill hybrid by sealy. i need a bed that stays cool, i sleep hot

Sofa King
04-09-2021, 04:41 PM
i’m looking for a new mattress as well. been looking at the dreamcloud hybrid or cocoon chill hybrid by sealy. i need a bed that stays cool, i sleep hot

Me too. God that's miserable.

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

In what order would you rank them best to worst. Any particulars to look out for when choosing one? Things to avoid or look for?

mililo4cpa
04-09-2021, 04:45 PM
^this^ had my first adjustable one for about a year and its great.

This is me as well....I cried when I laid down the cash, and this thing better last me 15 years, but damn is it awesome!

Rams Fan
04-09-2021, 04:57 PM
This is me as well....I cried when I laid down the cash, and this thing better last me 15 years, but damn is it awesome!

I had the opportunity to get one with my employee discount but declined. My mattress is still comfortable without it.

In what order would you rank them best to worst. Any particulars to look out for when choosing one? Things to avoid or look for?

I think Purple is probably the lowest quality of the 4, with Tempur-Sealy / Sleep Number / Serta are all probably comparable in quality and it just depends on personal preference.

As for avoid or look for, I personally suggest trying a mattress before buying it. Otherwise you end up with a product that isn't good or doesn't fit what you desire.

EPodolak
04-09-2021, 05:07 PM
TempurPedic Cloud Luxe is amazing - tried it in a store then went online shopping for something marketed as comparable. Found a small manufacturer that I think was eventually bought by Nest...it's the best mattress I've ever owned and relatively inexpensive. Great for the bones and joints. Got a pretty good deal on adjustable bases on Amazon too, we've been really happy with all of it.

kcxiv
04-09-2021, 06:09 PM
I just got me a decent serta one for about 600 bucks nice and firm. I went from sleeping about 4 to 5 and a half hours a night, to easily 7 to sometimes 8 hours a night. Its been so fucking nice.

Peter Gibbons
04-09-2021, 06:13 PM

I hear sleeping in an oxygen rich chamber while sedated with propofol can drastically reduce your body temperature. Have you considered this approach? Michael Jackson used to swear by it.

BigBeauford
04-09-2021, 06:29 PM
I had the opportunity to get one with my employee discount but declined. My mattress is still comfortable without it.

I think Purple is probably the lowest quality of the 4, with Tempur-Sealy / Sleep Number / Serta are all probably comparable in quality and it just depends on personal preference.

As for avoid or look for, I personally suggest trying a mattress before buying it. Otherwise you end up with a product that isn't good or doesn't fit what you desire.

What's the scoop on Saatva? That mattress is getting lots of accolades.

Zebedee DuBois
04-09-2021, 06:55 PM
I worked in a business that makes the catalyst for foams. All sorts of foams: rigid slab insulation foam, shoe sole foam, car seat, car dash, refrigerator insulation foam, etc. Almost all of it is polyurethane, which makes up 90 to 95% of the foam. The remainder is the catalyst, which causes the polyurethane to foam up, and causes it to have the desire properties of density, elasticity, rigidity, etc. It is a very profitable specialty business, whereas the polyurethane is a commodity chemical. I've seen foam production and a production line can pump out thousands of linear feet of foam a day. I have a hard time imagining there is $50 of foam in any mattress - probably more like $15. I don't know about the springs and mattress cover or anything, but I have to believe that a $1000 mattress is $900 profit.

Donger
04-09-2021, 07:00 PM
I Hate Big Mattress.

Rams Fan
04-09-2021, 07:01 PM

They’re a newer bed in the box brand.

That’s all I know about them.

Rams Fan
04-09-2021, 07:04 PM
I Hate Big Mattress.

I loved working for Big Mattress aside from the pay not being good starting out.

And loved the discounts too.

cooper barrett
04-10-2021, 06:27 AM
And what do you do now? Market poop scoopers for a living?

Serta Simmons
Sleep Number
Purple
Tempur-Sealy

Rams Fan
04-10-2021, 06:53 AM
And what do you do now? Market poop scoopers for a living?

Started and quit a PhD and now work in consulting for a relatively well known company.

dj56dt58
04-10-2021, 05:38 PM
Drive up and down a few allies and you'll get a great deal on one.

Beef Supreme
04-10-2021, 11:00 PM
I've seen several free-range mattresses in the past week. A few laying out by the side of the road, and in one case right in the damn middle of the road. They are fearless. Just daring you to come try something.

Couch-Potato
04-10-2021, 11:18 PM
hurry before sale ends!

saturnknts
04-11-2021, 02:56 AM

As for avoid or look for, I personally suggest trying a mattress before buying it. Otherwise you end up with a product that isn't good or doesn't fit what you desire.Agree that beds in a box are a joke. Hate the edges as they are not rigid.

And what's funny about the rest of the mattresses are they are mostly made in the same plants. We haul for Denver Mattress and they make most brands of rigid mattresses and slap a tag on em.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

cooper barrett
04-11-2021, 05:53 AM
I saw one (a free range of a hybrid sort) come off the roof of a car at I-49 (71 Hiway) and Blue Ridge, slide under the car that was following it (Ford Crown Vic), then that car caught on fire (burned to a crisp) as the person who had the mattress stopped, realized what happened, and just drove on home to OP.

Just to be followed home by yours truly.

The little **** got 6 months and a big bill for the fire department’s clean up and the bill for a new car to replace the crispy one.

Moral to the story... tie down you alley finds really well or it could really cost you

displacedinMN
04-11-2021, 07:37 AM
I saw one (a free range of a hybrid sort) come off the roof of a car at I-49 (71 Hiway) and Blue Ridge, slide under the car that was following it (Ford Crown Vic), then that car caught on fire (burned to a crisp) as the person who had the mattress stopped, realized what happened, and just drove on home to OP.

Just to be followed home by yours truly.

The little **** got 6 months and a big bill for the fire department’s clean up and the bill for a new car to replace the crispy one.

Moral to the story... tie down you alley finds really well or it could really cost you

or get a friend that has a truck or trailer

theoldcoach
04-11-2021, 08:50 AM

The Saatva Latex Hybrid is absolutely awesome. We have a split king bed.....which means two twin extra long mattresses side by side on adjustable frames.

These mattresses are the best we have ever had. They are pricey. But in my opinion.......they are worth it.

We love them and to us they have been worth every penny. And when you are in your mid 70's........a good night's sleep means more than money.

BigBeauford
04-11-2021, 09:05 AM
The Saatva Latex Hybrid is absolutely awesome. We have a split king bed.....which means two twin extra long mattresses side by side on adjustable frames.

These mattresses are the best we have ever had. They are pricey. But in my opinion.......they are worth it.

We love them and to us they have been worth every penny. And when you are in your mid 70's........a good night's sleep means more than money.

I'm about to pull the trigger, I just need to know that it's a fiiiiirm bed. We've had a Simmons with a pillow top for 11 years and I fucking hate that squishy piece of shit.

BigBeauford
04-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Welp, I went and laid on a Purple, and I think that's the bed. Man was that a comfortable bed, and yes, it's little patented top felt very supportive. Kept me on top of the bed and they part and bend just enough to comfort me. My only concerns are long term durability and how much that top layer will retain that shape.

cooper barrett
04-12-2021, 03:48 PM
I miss JC Penny outlet. I just bought a really nice set for $200 every few years and sold the old one. Overall cost was about $50 a year. I have no idea where the floor models, refused deliveries, and too dirty to deliver units go to now.

My next will be one of these

http://www.bowlesmattress.com/

Agree that beds in a box are a joke. Hate the edges as they are not rigid.

And what's funny about the rest of the mattresses are they are mostly made in the same plants. We haul for Denver Mattress and they make most brands of rigid mattresses and slap a tag on em.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

theoldcoach
04-12-2021, 05:09 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger, I just need to know that it's a fiiiiirm bed. We've had a Simmons with a pillow top for 11 years and I ****ing hate that squishy piece of shit.

Our Saatva is firm. Well.....mine is. My wife got a softer firmness for the mattress on her side which is what she likes.

But mine is firm and awesome! And so far it has held up well to the adjustable bed. We have had them for a little less than 3 years so far.

The combination works well for us.

Mephistopheles Janx
07-27-2022, 08:02 PM
I just spent more money on a mattress than I did for my 2005 Ford Escape 3 years ago.

The mattress is backordered so it will take 3 weeks for it to arrive but I'm currently sleeping on a 10 year old Denver Mattress piece of shit and will now be sleeping on a Purple Hybrid 3.

Mattress Firm has $300 off the price and Purple gives you a $300 allowance towards accessories. I used it on new box springs.

$3,800 delivered and my old shit hauled away.

TribalElder
07-27-2022, 08:28 PM
sleep number or suffer

BigBeauford
07-27-2022, 09:35 PM
I just spent more money on a mattress than I did for my 2005 Ford Escape 3 years ago.

The mattress is backordered so it will take 3 weeks for it to arrive but I'm currently sleeping on a 10 year old Denver Mattress piece of shit and will now be sleeping on a Purple Hybrid 3.

Mattress Firm has $300 off the price and Purple gives you a $300 allowance towards accessories. I used it on new box springs.

$3,800 delivered and my old shit hauled away.

Our purple hybrid 2 is god tier. Been sleeping on it since my post.

BryanBusby
07-27-2022, 09:36 PM

About 18 months later, still worth it. Just fucking do it.

Lzen
07-28-2022, 07:51 AM
I tried one of those Purple mattresses a couple of years ago. It was the one that cost $1000 (at that time). I thought it was okay but not soft enough for me. As I've gotten older, I can't sleep on anything that is firm. The cool thing about Purple is that they gave me the option of what to do with the mattress. I gave it to the local homeless shelter and Purple gave me a refund. Win win.

We ended up getting a Serta Bartley plush mattress instead. I would give a link but, looking around on the internet, it seems they aren't available any longer. The last 2 mattresses that I've gotten were Sertas and they have been really good.

I did try a Sealy and it was even better but the wife didn't care for it. :(

scho63
07-28-2022, 08:37 AM
I only need a mattress as I have had platform beds for 28 years.

I buy a Sealy firm queen and it has never been more than $400 and works/lasts great.

I could sleep on a pile of sticks or a concrete floor. I'm lucky.

Couch-Potato
07-29-2022, 07:09 PM
One day the sale will be over, and we'll all be mad we missed out.

Peter Gibbons
07-29-2022, 07:23 PM
About 18 months later, still worth it. Just ****ing do it.

I have the same setup and was very hesitant to spend that much money. In hindsight, it was the best money ever spent.

Zebedee DuBois
07-29-2022, 08:51 PM
We got a new bed several months ago. Moved up from an old queen to a Ghost adjustable platform split-king from Costco. Memory foam mattress that is squished flat for delivery.

This is what my wife wanted. I was initially wary because I thought I needed a firm bed.

Firstly, the split part is great because evidently I spin like Im on a rotisserie. Plus the adjustable part works great for watching a bit of TV before sleep.

And the mattress IS softer feeling than I would have thought I liked - but Ive been sleeping like a champ. I sink in a little and then it supports me well.