PDA

View Full Version : Life In the age of COVID, have you traveled?

J Diddy
03-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Last year we were about to hop on a plane and fly to Florida. That flight-trip got canceled. Our 5 year anniversary is on the 18th and we’re revisiting where we spent our honeymoon-in Vegas.

Anything new to expect on the plane? Will people be talking about gas prices? Will the plane come apart in mid air??

Are peanut allergies a thing?

Rain Man
03-03-2021, 07:45 PM
I've been more than five miles from home precisely once in the past year, and that was only about ten miles. I've become a medieval villager.

The wife and I have long-held reservations in California in April. If we can get vaccinated before then, we might go. But I doubt that we'll be vaccinated in time and it's a high-Covid area, so it's doubtful.

I also have a deferred trip in May to West Virginia that was pushed back from last year. If I'm vaccinated by then, I'm tempted to rent an RV and do that one as a road trip.

lewdog
03-03-2021, 07:46 PM
To and from work, yes.

eDave
03-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Flying is all normal except for the mask and there are no meal or booze options. Might even get yourself a full row. Last few trips I've made are not selling the middle seat (Delta).

displacedinMN
03-03-2021, 07:55 PM
Fargo once.
Wife and kid 1 are going to AZ in a few weeks. They did not invite me

Jewish Rabbi
03-03-2021, 07:58 PM
I took your mom to poundtown last night

J Diddy
03-03-2021, 08:01 PM
I took your mom to poundtown last night

Moms been dead and cremated since 1992.

I think your kink is weird.

Bearcat
03-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Last I knew, Southwest (at least) isn't using middle seats and you have to keep your mask on the entire time..... and with no middle seats, overhead bins aren't as much of a hassle. And there isn't the same lineup thing at the gate for Southwest, but that doesn't stop people from crowding the front, of course.

wutamess
03-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Florida twice (once for the Superbowl) (once to Miami during the height of Florida's fuckery).

Lake of the Ozarks
Phoenix, AZ

Didn't catch the shit until I was HERE! 5 day stint at KU Med center right before Halloween.

cabletech94
03-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Wife and I are going to key west in June for our 20th anniversary. She got vaccinated last month being in the health care industry. I get my first shot on Monday. I am jonzin’ for some authentic key lime pie.

mlyonsd
03-03-2021, 08:03 PM
I've flown to Florida twice and went on a week long driving tour of Wisconsin last October.

lewdog
03-03-2021, 08:09 PM
Fargo once.
Wife and kid 1 are going to AZ in a few weeks. They did not invite me

What the French, toast?!

Dartgod
03-03-2021, 08:09 PM
Last I knew, Southwest (at least) isn't using middle seats and you have to keep your mask on the entire time..... and with no middle seats, overhead bins aren't as much of a hassle. And there isn't the same lineup thing at the gate for Southwest, but that doesn't stop people from crowding the front, of course.

Nein. My wife had travel funds on SWA that she had to use before they expired and went to San Antonio with a friend in early December. Full flights including middle both ways.

penguinz
03-03-2021, 08:10 PM
I spent a few days here last September.... 39°20'34.0"N 105°15'60.0"W
https://goo.gl/maps/7fyJik3gd7enhSRx8

Sucked not being able to have campfire. Was weird to see ash falling from sky like it was snowing.

wheeler08
03-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Wife and I are going to key west in June for our 20th anniversary. She got vaccinated last month being in the health care industry. I get my first shot on Monday. I am jonzin’ for some authentic key lime pie.

I went to Key West for first time in February. Was A lot of fun and the fishing was great. Flew American, plane was packed full. Was kinda surprised. I thought there would be some gaps.

Cops were pushy on Duval st about wearing masks while walking down street. But everyone took them off at next block. Only wore them to go inside some where.

Went to Orlando after Christmas. Drove there.

Was in Gatlinburg in June.

eDave
03-03-2021, 08:15 PM

Sucked not being able to have campfire. Was weird to see ash falling from sky like it was snowing.

There's a pic of Red Rock for those numbers.

https://i.ibb.co/dpR9KVd/RedRocks.jpg

HonestChieffan
03-03-2021, 08:17 PM
been to costco

HemiEd
03-03-2021, 08:19 PM
Two road trips to Virginia Beach, one to Ft. Worth, one to Wichita and getting ready or the second.
No planes for me if I can avoid it. :shake:

Hammock Parties
03-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Trip to see my cousin, and my parents.

Nobody died.

Peter Gibbons
03-03-2021, 08:28 PM
I’ve been on exactly three flights (all domestic) during the past year. That is a huge drop for me as I normally travel 250k miles per year for the past twenty some years. I have worked extremely hard to avoid travel but some was unavoidable due to my job. I was doubled masked sucking a zinc lozenge during all flights. I escaped unharmed but feel many of the flights were way too lax with their precautions.

What is new on a plane? Hyperbole by the airlines about the use of electrostatic sprayers and extreme exaggeration about the level of sanitization provided by such a device. In case you don’t know, these devices are modern day snake oil.

displacedinMN
03-03-2021, 08:30 PM
What the French, toast?!

Wife decided to go during NDSU spring break with kid 1. Somewhat to get away from Kid 2...who has been in the house with wife for a year.

with me getting out of the house every day-wife decided to leave me at home. These things happen when your wife makes more money than you do.

We will be going to either Philly or NYC for kid 2 to college in August

Deberg_1990
03-03-2021, 08:36 PM
Yes. Many times

Spott
03-03-2021, 08:45 PM
I’ve flown back and forth between Ohio and Florida almost every week since Memorial Day. Iirc, it’s something like 35 out of the past 40 weekends. The flights have been super cheap, including getting a handful of them for free. Depending on what airline you go on, some serve food and some don’t. Also been to Key West, Daytona, St Augustine and been to the Orlando theme parks several times in the last year.

CoMoChief
03-03-2021, 09:27 PM
I had a corona virus back in Nov of 2019.

It was a bad flu...nothing more. Fever and puked a little bit. Lost some lbs.

After a few days I was back to normal. I always manage to get sick around Thanksgiving and Xmas...as do a lot of people.

I travel all around the US about every other week.

No vaccine for me. What a god damn scam that is.

Haven't been sick since...

Back in April of 2020 airports were a ghost town. One late flight home back to KC from ATL, I was the only person on the plane other than the flight crew....

And Southwest still managed to lose one of my bags. :cuss:

Strongside
03-03-2021, 09:30 PM
We flew to Florida last June, and then drove to Wyoming/Montana in the fall. Both great trips. We’ve been fortunate enough to avoid any family cases aside from younger members who could handle it, so the biggest bummer for us personally has been the inability to travel internationally, which we typically do 2-3 times a year.

Many have had it far worse than us, so not being able to travel is a tear in a bucket - and a sacrifice we’ve been OK with making - though it sucks.

To be honest I just miss concerts.

BigRedChief
03-03-2021, 10:28 PM
No, postponed a 30 year anniversary celebration last April. Wife has traveled to Missouri to take care of an ailing mom.

Katie
03-03-2021, 11:24 PM
Just returned from Cabo. Easy in and out, although I had to take a COVID test before coming back. Already had COVID but they make you test anyway.

POND_OF_RED
03-04-2021, 12:06 AM
Never stopped flying/traveling for work. The airlines are definitely getting closer to full now. Delta and Alaska are the only two major airlines I still know of that are blocking off the middle seats. No booze and they hand out little snack packs occasionally with pretzels (peanuts are a thing of the past on planes) Delta does a soda and snack. The airports are pretty much back to full service dining as well. It all still really just depends on where you end up. Masks at all times. In the airports and on the planes unless you’re eating and drinking. Yes, they are strict about it.

BWillie
03-04-2021, 12:39 AM
I had a corona virus back in Nov of 2019.

It was a bad flu...nothing more. Fever and puked a little bit. Lost some lbs.

After a few days I was back to normal. I always manage to get sick around Thanksgiving and Xmas...as do a lot of people.

I travel all around the US about every other week.

No vaccine for me. What a god damn scam that is.

Haven't been sick since...

Back in April of 2020 airports were a ghost town. One late flight home back to KC from ATL, I was the only person on the plane other than the flight crew....

And Southwest still managed to lose one of my bags. :cuss:

Seems unlikely.

Bugeater
03-04-2021, 12:46 AM
Did a road trip to Colorado and Wyoming on Memorial Day weekend, and another in October along with a visit to the Black Hills. Did several other weekend getaways over the summer. Haven't flown anywhere though, although not because of Covid, but because I despise flying.

Dunerdr
03-04-2021, 01:47 AM
Yeah buddy! Went to KC multiple times, Dallas a few times, and took a week and a half vacation to Gatlinburg back in July. Havent had covid luckily. I guess i should not i live in the Tulsa area, i dont count my trips to okc and branson as travel because they're day trips but ive done those many times as well. Hell ive been to more theme parks in the last year than i had been to in the previous 10 years. We had purchased 6 flags season tickets right before covid hit and proceeded to get our monies worth in Dallas and St. Louis.

roman gnome
03-04-2021, 02:17 AM
February in Florida!
https://i.imgur.com/3eT4L2x.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/otX1j68.jpg

KC_Lee
03-04-2021, 08:50 AM
A few times with the girlfriend last summer, scuba trips on MO, AR, and IL, but nothing major.

penguinz
03-04-2021, 08:52 AM
There's a pic of Red Rock for those numbers.

https://i.ibb.co/dpR9KVd/RedRocks.jpg

Not sure why. Red Rocks is a good 30 minutes from this spot.

scho63
03-04-2021, 09:34 AM
To the pharmacy, to my PO Box, to the cigar store, to the grocery store, to work.

I travel in a small circle. Kinda like a giant hamster behind the wheel.

ChiefBlueCFC
03-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Last July I had a work trip to Bozeman, MT, in October, I went to Pecos, TX and then I returned to Bozeman, MT in January. I drove all three trips so I didn't have to deal with flying. But, I prefer to drive over flying as long as it is under 17-18 hr drive.

I did notice in July, that there seemed to be a lot more people driving on the road than normal. In reality, I would drive to those places even if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, but that is just me.

I've had some co-workers that have flown and they said they enjoyed it more now because there weren't as many people travelling.

ChiTown
03-04-2021, 10:33 AM
I’m still traveling, as I haven’t really let it slow me down. I’m in Breckinridge skiing this week. Life goes on. Fuck Covid

TinyEvel
03-04-2021, 11:07 AM
Only camping.

Rain Man
03-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Last July I had a work trip to Bozeman, MT, in October, I went to Pecos, TX and then I returned to Bozeman, MT in January. I drove all three trips so I didn't have to deal with flying. But, I prefer to drive over flying as long as it is under 17-18 hr drive.

I did notice in July, that there seemed to be a lot more people driving on the road than normal. In reality, I would drive to those places even if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, but that is just me.

I've had some co-workers that have flown and they said they enjoyed it more now because there weren't as many people travelling.

17 or 18 hours from Des Moines? So basically you drive if it's in North America and there aren't pyramids or polar bears?

Pitt Gorilla
03-04-2021, 11:13 AM
Yes. One of our sons plays for a regional AAU basketball team, so we've travelled a bit.

ChiefBlueCFC
03-04-2021, 11:24 AM
17 or 18 hours from Des Moines? So basically you drive if it's in North America and there aren't pyramids or polar bears?

Ha, yeah pretty much

Donger
03-04-2021, 11:27 AM
I’m still traveling, as I haven’t really let it slow me down. I’m in Breckinridge skiing this week. Life goes on. **** Covid

No you aren't.

ChiTown
03-04-2021, 12:18 PM
No you aren't.

I’m not in Breck this week?

Donger
03-04-2021, 12:34 PM
I’m not in Breck this week?

Breck, yes. Breckenridge, not Breckinridge, flatlander...

:)

sedated
03-04-2021, 12:41 PM
I'm heading to Des Moines soon - any suggestions of cool bars/restaurants would be appreciated. Especially if it has a patio and/or still practices distancing.

ChiTown
03-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Breck, yes. Breckenridge, not Breckinridge, flatlander...

:)

Ha! I can’t believe spell check let me get away that.

It’s snowy today. We tried skiing for about 90 mins, but the mountain is packed and the lighting is way too flat (for us, anyway). It’s my last day, too :(. I may try going back out by myself this afternoon. My wife is already back in her jammies LMAO

Bearcat
03-04-2021, 12:58 PM
I'm heading to Des Moines soon - any suggestions of cool bars/restaurants would be appreciated. Especially if it has a patio and/or still practices distancing.

Drive deeper into BFE and go to Toppling Goliath Brewing and Pulpit Rock Brewing in Decorah. And then ship me some growlers.

Granted, I never knew you could be in Des Moines, drive over 200 miles in any direction and still be in Iowa.... :shrug:

ChiefBlueCFC
03-04-2021, 01:13 PM

Court Ave downtown is where a lot of the bars are located. There should be some outdoor seating, especially now that we are out of that frigid bullshit from a few weeks ago.

Also, by Jordan Creek Town Center has some restaurants that have some outdoor seating.

KCUnited
03-04-2021, 01:21 PM

El Bait Shop*

*I've never been but its on a list I keep of notoriously great bars to visit in each state. Quick review of Yelp states "ample outdoor seating".

J Diddy
03-04-2021, 03:14 PM
No, postponed a 30 year anniversary celebration last April. Wife has traveled to Missouri to take care of an ailing mom.

Hope your wife's mom is doing good now.

30 years? How has she put up with you for that long?

seclark
03-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Get the second COVID shot next week. Start working back in the office next week also. Been working at home for a year now. Haven’t been anywhere but the river.

Taking the wife to Vegas for our 40th to see our granddaughter the end of the month. Been a year since Christmas, and grandma’s driving me nuts. It’s time
sec

InChiefsHeaven
03-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Drove to Manhattan KS to visit some friends last summer...made sure the window was down and I coughed the whole way to spread that good Nebraska Rona!!

Planning a trip to Memphis and Eureka Springs this summer...

03-04-2021, 04:50 PM
I flew from NJ to Denver to pigsknuckle last September. Flying I had no issues, it’s when I came back. United wouldn’t let me check in to my return flight until I electronically signed something from nj.gov saying I would self quarantine for 14 days upon my return. I didn’t know pigsknuckle was such a hotspot for covid. States returning from that you didn’t have to quarantine were california, ny, Washington state Lol but wyoming and Montana you had to self quarantine. What a joke.

Now you need a covid test 2 days before to be able to come to NJ. It depends on your state’s rules I guess, but lesson Learned. I drove to Ohio for xmas and had no issues

Coochie liquor
03-04-2021, 05:43 PM
Went to Jamaica for 10 days during 4th of July, and went to Cancun for a week over New Years. Got another Jamaica trip planned and payed for to be there over 4th of July again this year.

scho63
03-04-2021, 05:53 PM
Went to Jamaica for 10 days during 4th of July, and went to Cancun for a week over New Years. Got another Jamaica trip planned and payed for to be there over 4th of July again this year.

That's like the 10th time in Jamaica. You love that place! :clap:

JD10367
03-04-2021, 06:36 PM
We went to Disney World this past November. I felt safer in the parks than I do back at home. Everything was spaced out, they were cleaning stuff, almost no one misbehaved and when a cast member saw a nose peeking out of a mask they addressed it. If you're into the "Disney magic" (fireworks, parades, character greetings, etc.,.) you wouldn't like it, but if you like the rides--as I do--then it's pretty good. The lines were very long due to social distancing but with no FastPasses they moved pretty quickly.

What we DIDN'T do is fly there. No way I'm getting into a metal tube shoulder to shoulder with 300 strangers breathing recycled air for 3 hours. We drove down and back from New England. About 28 hours straight (including food and gas stops and a quick rest area nap).

Bearcat
03-04-2021, 07:07 PM
We went to Disney World this past November. I felt safer in the parks than I do back at home. Everything was spaced out, they were cleaning stuff, almost no one misbehaved and when a cast member saw a nose peeking out of a mask they addressed it. If you're into the "Disney magic" (fireworks, parades, character greetings, etc.,.) you wouldn't like it, but if you like the rides--as I do--then it's pretty good. The lines were very long due to social distancing but with no FastPasses they moved pretty quickly.

What we DIDN'T do is fly there. No way I'm getting into a metal tube shoulder to shoulder with 300 strangers breathing recycled air for 3 hours. We drove down and back from New England. About 28 hours straight (including food and gas stops and a quick rest area nap).

Not to dismiss the point about 300 people in a metal tube, but the air filtering in planes is (supposedly) very impressive and uses outside air as well. It was nice when they weren't using middle seats, and at least at that time people seemed pretty mindful to keep their distance when possible and not crowd the aisle and what not.

It's still a lot of fairly close contact, of course. I've only flown once since late January of last year, but now with both shots in the arm, ready to leave the state for the first time in months.

cooper barrett
03-04-2021, 07:15 PM
I drove from Indy to KC and back a couple of times. I stayed away from truck stops, brought my own food, and paid at the pump. Never saw a car pulled over unless it looked like a break down or flat so it was a fun drive.

When I drove from Indy to Payson, I did the same thing for food and water but slept in the car, which was great as rear seats have lots of legroom. I normally attract the OKHP like I am a magnet but this run, never even saw one.
https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/1049x590/quality/80/https://s.aolcdn.com/os/ab/_cms/2020/04/13170440/IMG_1361.jpg

When I came back to Indy, I flew SWA and took an afternoon/ evening non stop and it was not crowded so middle seats were open. There was a snowstorm in Indy when we touched down. The car rental was the biggest pain in the ass as they couldn't seem to get cars out.

I don't plan to fly this year but I will be driving to AZ in a few weeks and (hopefully) being able to safely use "indoor" restrooms will be nice.

Spott
03-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Not to dismiss the point about 300 people in a metal tube, but the air filtering in planes is (supposedly) very impressive and uses outside air as well. It was nice when they weren't using middle seats, and at least at that time people seemed pretty mindful to keep their distance when possible and not crowd the aisle and what not.

It's still a lot of fairly close contact, of course. I've only flown once since late January of last year, but now with both shots in the arm, ready to leave the state for the first time in months.

I have yet to see the middle seats being left open on any of the airlines I’ve flown. The filtration systems on planes are very good and people are generally more careful on the plane when it comes to masks, social distancing, etc. The airlines have put a lot of effort into keeping their planes safe and sanitized.

03-04-2021, 07:27 PM
I have yet to see the middle seats being left open on any of the airlines I’ve flown. The filtration systems on planes are very good and people are generally more careful on the plane when it comes to masks, social distancing, etc. The airlines have put a lot of effort into keeping their planes safe and sanitized.

Yeah, agreed. the planes I flew on were completely booked, no open seats. They cleaned them very well and would give you a huge sanitary wipe after you get situated. The only downside I had was having to wear a mask for 9 consecutive hours lol

Coochie liquor
03-04-2021, 07:31 PM
That's like the 10th time in Jamaica. You love that place! :clap:

My plan is move to Jamaica or another Caribbean island (Barbados and St Lucia I’m looking at you) in the next 2 years. See how it plays out.

Spott
03-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Yeah, agreed. the planes I flew on were completely booked, no open seats. They cleaned them very well and would give you a huge sanitary wipe after you get situated. The only downside I had was having to wear a mask for 9 consecutive hours lol

Luckily my flights are only 2 hours each way. I usually bring some kind of food so I can get a little break from the whole mask thing. Having TSA precheck has been great over the last year because I can get to the airport 30 minutes before the flight and still be good on time.

FlaChief58
03-04-2021, 07:34 PM
We've stayed in Florida. We take 2-3 day trips whenever we can just exploring our state. We want to go to Virginia so we can see our grandson for the first time, but since he was a premie, we'll have to wait until he's stronger and heals from his upcoming hernia surgery.

03-04-2021, 07:43 PM
Luckily my flights are only 2 hours each way. I usually bring some kind of food so I can get a little break from the whole mask thing. Having TSA precheck has been great over the last year because I can get to the airport 30 minutes before the flight and still be good on time.

Yeah, I have Tsa pre check too. It was over 4 hours to Denver with a 1 hour layover and then an hour and change from Denver to pigsknuckle. I have to get to Newark 2 hours ahead because it’s a shit show getting there and a shitshow once you get inside. One of the big reasons I got Tsa pre check. And if you use the United credit card for it it’s free.

Iowanian
03-04-2021, 08:07 PM
I’m planning a trip at this very moment.

I planned another trip for s week.

I’m free. I do what I want to do because im not a nervous sheep.

cooper barrett
03-04-2021, 09:23 PM
How to decide where.

1-Caribbean Island with public nude beaches

2- see #1

My plan is move to Jamaica or another Caribbean island (Barbados and St Lucia I’m looking at you) in the next 2 years. See how it plays out.

philfree
03-04-2021, 09:55 PM
Not until now. We're sitting in the Marriott 3 hours from PCB. This place is right on 54 holes of golf(Capital Hill Golf in Prattville, AL) so I'll get up and play 9 in the morning then drive on down to the beach and stay for a couple of weeks. It's been a long time coming.

Bugeater
03-04-2021, 10:21 PM
I'm heading to Des Moines soon - any suggestions of cool bars/restaurants would be appreciated. Especially if it has a patio and/or still practices distancing.Some of my favorites are Mullets down by the ballpark, Founders Irish Pub in Bondurant and Brickyard Burgers and Brews in Adel.

Discuss Thrower
03-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Selfish, selfish, selfish..

CoMoChief
03-05-2021, 10:29 AM
How to decide where.

1-Caribbean Island with public nude beaches

2- see #1

Be careful of what you wish for. LMAO

There's a lot of bad that comes with the little good you might see.

NewChief
03-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Our travel:

We were headed to Santa Fe for Spring Break last year right when COVID struck. We cancelled that trip. We went to my inlaws lake house instead and rode bikes all week in Bella Vista. Not really a vacation but still.

We rescheduled our Santa Fe trip for June and went during COVID. Stayed out there two weeks. One week in Santa Fe and one week in Taos. State was "shut down", but we were basically hiking and biking in isolation (except for two days at Angelfire Bikepark).

We went to Minnesota to the Boundary Waters in late July for a week. Also stopped on the way north in Duluth for mountain biking before spending a week in the middle of nowhere fishing.

I went back to Angelfire for a weekend MTB trip in October on a father/son trip with two other dads and our kids.

We went to Las Cruces, New Mexico with another family in our "circle" for Thanksgiving week for a week of mountain biking.

Went to Palm Beach, FL for two weeks over Christmas Break and into New Year's to hang with the inlaws. Was a little nervous, since they live in a retirement community, but we all took precautions.

We also did quite a few long weekend trips locally for biking and such, taking advantage of virtual schooling and work to get away from the house.

So, yes... we've travelled during COVID, extensively. Being able to work and school remotely has allowed us a lot of flexibility, and we've taken advantage of it to have a pretty amazing year with our family as a group, engaging in adventure. Albeit, most of our "travel" has been to remote destinations and most of our activity has been outdoors recreation.

jdubya
03-05-2021, 02:10 PM

If you are in National forest, no man can be denied a "warming" fire.