PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ravens propose an interesting OT rule change

RunKC
03-04-2021, 03:34 PM
This looks like a great alternative IMO:

It works like this: One team picks the spot of the ball to start overtime, and the other team chooses whether to play offense or defense.

If the one team picks, for example, the offense’s own 20 yard line, the opponent would then choose whether to play offense from their own 20 or to play defense, with the other team having the ball on its own 20. This would minimize greatly the impact of the coin toss; under this proposal, the coin toss would be used only to give the team that wins the toss the right to pick the spot of the ball (along with the end zone to be defended) or to choose offense or defense.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Spot and choose.&quot; Get used to that term. The Ravens will be proposing it as a new way to more fairly resolve overtime games than tossing a coin to determine first possession. <a href="https://t.co/AQLkBQ6jCJ">https://t.co/AQLkBQ6jCJ</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1367344144507686914?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TLO
03-04-2021, 03:40 PM
Not a fan

kysirsoze
03-04-2021, 03:40 PM
First reading... I love this. Not only makes it less random and therefore more fair, it adds a new element of strategy. NFL probably won't do it because it's too fun.

smithandrew051
03-04-2021, 03:41 PM
That would be something. I assume every team would just pick the 50 though.

I can’t imagine you would put the opponent in field goal range.

Might as well just put the ball at the 50 and flip a coin. Every team will want the ball.

AdolfOliverBush
03-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Just use the NCAA's OT rules and be done with it.

kysirsoze

Might as well just put the ball at the 50 and flip a coin. Every team will want the ball.

Not how it works. The team that spots it chooses which goal to defend. So if someone puts the Chiefs on the 5, the Chiefs would have to go 95 yards or choose to play defense.

smithandrew051

On second thought, never mind. You’d pick the opposing 20-30. Make them drive the field.

FloridaMan88
03-04-2021, 03:44 PM
They also want added shit breaks for Lamar.

smithandrew051
03-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Not how it works. The team that spots it chooses which goal to defend. So if someone puts the Chiefs on the 5, the Chiefs would have to go 95 yards or choose to play defense.

Yeah you’re right. I read that too quick.

eDave
03-04-2021, 03:46 PM

Ah. It wasn't clicking with me. Thanks.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2021, 03:52 PM
Dumb as fuck

Dante84
03-04-2021, 03:56 PM
Why not just do what College does? Jesus.

Even shorten the game by having them spot it at 20 yards, so the teams can only get 1 first down. A maximum of 8 plays per drive, assuming no penalties.

wazu
03-04-2021, 04:10 PM
I like it. If we win the toss, we say put it on the offense's 1 yard line, daring them to play defense.

eDave
03-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Raven's have male cheerleaders. Very progressive organization.

HemiEd
03-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Why not just leave it alone? Or at the most, drop the TD and it's over rule. Make sure each team gets a posession.

eDave
03-04-2021, 04:13 PM
Why not just leave it alone? Or at the most, drop the TD and it's over rule. Make sure each team gets a posession.

It definitely needs tweaked.

displacedinMN
03-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Nothing proposed will help the ravens win a SB with whats his butt.

duncan_idaho
03-04-2021, 04:42 PM
It's too cute.

Make it simple. Guarantee each team one possession.

If the score is tied after each tie has had a possession, make it a sudden death game. Next team to score wins.

kccrow
03-04-2021, 04:50 PM
It's stupid.

One team would always pick the 1-yard line and the other team would always pick offense because they'd rather take their chances than give the other team 1st and goal from the 1.

It really does not matter what limitations they give, the spot team will always pick the point furthest from the opponent's endzone.

The only way to make it fair is to go to the college system or some hybrid.

My vote would be to go the exact college system with one exception, start the ball at the 50 instead of the 25.

suzzer99
03-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Just do my idea:

If the first team to touch the ball scores, the second team gets one chance to beat (not tie) that score. Otherwise OT is sudden death as normal.

So if they kick a FG, you have to score a TD. If they score a TD+1, you have to score a TD+2. If they have the balls to go for a TD+2, they win. But if they miss, they leave themselves open to losing to a TD+1.

Think of how exciting it would have been in the AFCCG - knowing Mahomes had to drive for an TD+2 to win, no ties.

It's debatable if you even want to take the ball in this scenario. I think you do, but it's a hell of a lot closer than now when winning the coin flip is such a gigantic advantage.

TEX
03-04-2021, 05:04 PM
It's too cute.

If the score is tied after each tie has had a possession, make it a sudden death game. Next team to score wins.

Exactly. Nice and simple. That's the problem....

Chief Pagan
03-04-2021, 05:07 PM
Just do my idea:

If the first team to touch the ball scores, the second team gets one chance to beat (not tie) that score. Otherwise OT is sudden death as normal.

So if they kick a FG, you have to score a TD. If they score a TD+1, you have to score a TD+2. If they have the balls to go for a TD+2, they win. But if they miss, they leave themselves open to losing to a TD+1.

Think of how exciting it would have been in the AFCCG - knowing Mahomes had to drive for an TD+2 to win, no ties.

It's debatable if you even want to take the ball in this scenario. I think you do, but it's a hell of a lot closer than now when winning the coin flip is such a gigantic advantage.

I like the idea in the OP. But this idea is also much better than the current system.

But OT needs to go back to 15 minutes in any event.

Sorry
03-04-2021, 05:34 PM
I’d rather have this:

Team starts at 20 yard line in the redZone. Only get one first down. If you’re within the ten yard line- which means you got the first down- you cannot win a third set of downs of there is a DPI, you only get another try of whatever down you’re on. If the defense wants to just do dpi then the offense moves up closer but there are no resetting of the downs. So if it’s 4th down, it stays forth down.

But if it’s a turnover downs it goes back to the 20 for the other squad. So it’s not a sudden death match but an actual shortened quarter and whoever has the most points at the end wins. I think maybe a 6-8 min quarter with one timeout and one challenge.

Idk I’m an advocate for a true winner takes all where both teams get a chance to score

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Time for Lamar's next contract. Quick everyone look busy!

kysirsoze
03-04-2021, 05:41 PM
It's stupid.

One team would always pick the 1-yard line and the other team would always pick offense because they'd rather take their chances than give the other team 1st and goal from the 1.

All but like 3 or 4 teams would be stupid to take offense on the 1.

kysirsoze
03-04-2021, 05:42 PM
It's too cute.

I like that it's cute!

scho63
03-04-2021, 05:44 PM
For anyone who has ever owned a business with a partner, this is how many do a buy/sell agreement.

One person sets a price of the business and the other has the right then to sell it or buy it at that price.

It keeps the price fair: you put too high a price you gotta buy it, too low a price the other guy buys it.

crispystl
03-04-2021, 05:52 PM
It's stupid.

This^^

crispystl
03-04-2021, 05:54 PM
Just do my idea:

This is pretty good actually.

alpha_omega
03-04-2021, 06:03 PM
Uhhhh, no.

College rules would be fine. I’d really like to see a full 15 min quarter, but I get why that won’t work.

lcarus
03-04-2021, 06:07 PM
I like the way the NCAA does it. It's fair. It's fun. Why not.

suzzer99
03-04-2021, 09:32 PM

I know it's good. Someone needs to give me 5 minutes in a room with Goodell and I'll sell him on it.

suzzer99
03-04-2021, 09:32 PM

I know it's good. Someone needs to give me 5 minutes in a room with Goodell and I'll sell him on it.

I've had this idea even before the new OT rules. They met me halfway, but need to go the full distance.

kccrow
03-05-2021, 03:52 AM
Just do my idea:

Not such a bad idea

listopencil
03-05-2021, 04:12 AM
Just play a ten minute quarter with a running clock and no time outs allowed until the last three minutes, each team gets two time outs. Whoever is ahead when the ten minutes is over is the winner. If it's still tied then it's a tie. They can flip a coin to see who gets the ball first.

Chief Pagan
03-05-2021, 10:13 AM
Uhhhh, no.

College rules would be fine. I’d really like to see a full 15 min quarter, but I get why that won’t work.

OT used to be 15 minutes so I don't agree it can't work. It's just the networks don't like it.

If a strong running team like the Titans or Browns win the toss they might be able to put together a nine minute drive and kick a field goal with essentially no time on the clock which almost defeats the both teams get a possession if the first team only scores a field goal.

kepp
03-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Just use the NCAA's OT rules and be done with it.

This

Shag
03-05-2021, 11:50 AM
It's stupid.

It really does not matter what limitations they give, the spot team will always pick the point furthest from the opponent's endzone.

The only way to make it fair is to go to the college system or some hybrid.

My vote would be to go the exact college system with one exception, start the ball at the 50 instead of the 25.

By my understanding, that's not how it would work. It's not choosing "their 1yd line", it's choosing "the defense's 1yd line". The second team would then choose to play either offense or defense. Regardless of whether team 2 chooses offense/defense, the length of field would be exactly the same.

Gary Cooper
03-05-2021, 11:56 AM
The 15 minute (or even 12 minute OT) is the only format that makes sense to me. The college system is too gimmicky. Creates absurdly high scoring games and manufactured situations, unlike in a real game. Screw that.

They're talking about adding a 17th regular season game but don't want to extend overtime to a full quarter. How many overtimes does an NFL team average per season? Usually two or three at most.

Oh and the Ravens should just propose a format where passing is forbidden in overtime. That would suit them best.

kccrow
03-05-2021, 12:03 PM
By my understanding, that's not how it would work. It's not choosing "their 1yd line", it's choosing "the defense's 1yd line". The second team would then choose to play either offense or defense. Regardless of whether team 2 chooses offense/defense, the length of field would be exactly the same.

What would stop them from always choosing the 1-yard line? That's the issue with it entirely, regardless of everything else. Either you play offense starting from the 1 or you start on defense with them starting from the 1.

The best case is to hope to be the team that gets to choose offense or defense. I'd choose defense with them starting at the 1 every time. The odds are in my favor that they won't score from there and I'd get a much more favorable field position.

SithCeNtZ
03-05-2021, 12:16 PM
What would stop them from always choosing the 1-yard line? That's the issue with it entirely, regardless of everything else. Either you play offense starting from the 1 or you start on defense with them starting from the 1.

The best case is to hope to be the team that gets to choose offense or defense. I'd choose defense with them starting at the 1 every time. The odds are in my favor that they won't score from there and I'd get a much more favorable field position.

You kind of answered your own question. If you are a bad offense you would never say the 1 because you know you'd be screwed because they will pick you to be on offense.

But to your point I think it would settle in that basically every proposal would end up being somewhere in the 20-10 yard range, depending on the matchup. People saying "OMG so much strategy" just haven't thought it through. You might as well just hold an auction at midfield and say whoever takes the ball farther back gets it to start OT. Start at the 25 and bid down. That's basically the same thing.

kccrow
03-05-2021, 12:26 PM
You kind of answered your own question. If you are a bad offense you would never say the 1 because you know you'd be screwed because they will pick you to be on offense.

But to your point I think it would settle in that basically every proposal would end up being somewhere in the 20-10 yard range, depending on the matchup. People saying "OMG so much strategy" just haven't thought it through. You might as well just hold an auction at midfield and say whoever takes the ball farther back gets it to start OT. Start at the 25 and bid down. That's basically the same thing.

Makes sense to me. I didn't really look at it like that. That said, then, you'll always have the best offenses pushing it back the furthest. A team like KC would probably choose the 10. A team like Baltimore or Tennessee might choose the 25. I guess it could work out better than I originally thought.

Analytically, NFL teams score roughly the same percentage of the time as the yards they start from their own endzone. In a one-off situation like this, how much will they throw analytics to the wind? How much will the strength of your punter come into play? I'd hate to choose the 10, be forced to play offense and fail, then have my Punter come in and shank one.

Hayneplane
03-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Personally I would scrap overtime for regular season games and allow a draw but for play offs the right of reply is the only equitable system. Give each team minimum of one position and if both have the same number of points move on to next score of any type wins.