PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cam back to New England; 1-year $14m

pugsnotdrugs19
03-12-2021, 07:39 AM
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1370367181796610049?s=21

Comp update: Patriots are finalizing a 1-year deal worth close to $14 million for Cam Newton to return to New England, per source.

louie aguiar
03-12-2021, 07:40 AM
he was horrible last year

BossChief
03-12-2021, 07:40 AM
Lolololol

I didn’t know they stacked shit that high.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-12-2021, 07:41 AM
It is said they still can and will likely add to the position but I am still surprised they even went this route

SuperBowl4
03-12-2021, 07:42 AM
Worst signing ever. The guy just looks DONE. Not even worth being a backup.

RealSNR
03-12-2021, 07:48 AM
Belishit sucks.

GoForIt
03-12-2021, 07:50 AM
Bill has really lost it. Horrible signing.

rabblerouser
03-12-2021, 08:20 AM
ROFL
LMAO

ROFL
LMAO

:shrug:

LMAO
ROFL

rabblerouser
03-12-2021, 08:21 AM
Bill has really lost it. Horrible signing.

I would rather sign a gimpy Alex Smith than a ginpy Cam Jewton.

KC_Connection
03-12-2021, 08:28 AM
????

Well glad to see the Patriots really are cooked.

Dayze
03-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Suckers.

Cam gonna milk another season.

morphius
03-12-2021, 08:40 AM
That is hilarious. NE fans heads are going to explode.

MahomesMagic
03-12-2021, 08:42 AM
It's definitely not good. I think their options are pretty limited.

I would prefer Jacoby Brisset but that ain't world changing either.

Gravedigger
03-12-2021, 08:42 AM
They'll draft a QB and bench him midway through the season, we all know how this story ends.

Red Dawg
03-12-2021, 08:46 AM
Bill is a terrible personnel guy. Cam is pathetic and washed.

Hammock Parties
03-12-2021, 08:47 AM
pats are treading water

tredadda
03-12-2021, 08:47 AM
Not sure what they were hoping to gain by doing this. He wasn't even starter quality last year. This is definitely a head scratcher.

Kman34
03-12-2021, 09:00 AM
I guess they are counting on their opted out players coming back and the defense carrying the team.... Fools..

scho63
03-12-2021, 09:12 AM
They would have been better off signing Matt Cassel........ROFL

Chris Meck
03-12-2021, 09:17 AM
I....what?

LMAO

Easy 6
03-12-2021, 09:26 AM

Absolutely

BossChief
03-12-2021, 09:27 AM
6m of the contract is incentives for making the playoffs.

notorious
03-12-2021, 09:29 AM
New England fan is asking themselves “Where have all the Pass Interferences gooooone?”

stevieray
03-12-2021, 09:29 AM
:LOL:

bdj23
03-12-2021, 09:42 AM
If I was him, I'd throw some draft capital at Tampa Bay for Brady.

morphius
03-12-2021, 09:54 AM
Bill must be doubling down on "any idiot can play QB in my system", cause even after a couple hours that is the only thing that makes any sense.

TEX
03-12-2021, 10:34 AM
Man, I'd love to be able to suck at my job, as much as Newton does at his, and still get paid $14 Million.

gblowfish
03-12-2021, 10:37 AM
Wicked Pissah...

Deberg_1990
03-12-2021, 10:54 AM
Hes Bellichek's new Vinny Testaverde I guess?

Graystoke
03-12-2021, 11:02 AM
God I love seeing the Patriots implode

stevegroganfan
03-12-2021, 11:13 AM
Cam went 7-8 last year and not 3-12. It would have probably been 9-6 if the Patriots didn't have the COVID opt outs which included Hightower and Newton had more familiarity with the system from a real preseason/didn't get covid himself. Call it 9-7 since if Newton had played, the Chiefs game probably still a loss but closer game for sure.

So if you buy that 9-7 notion under more normal circumstances. Team with its highest draft position in years and lots of salary cap room after not having much money the year before, may be able to not only make the playoffs but win a game or two in them.

Cam isn't the same player he once was when he won MVP but I disagree with the notion that he sucks.

I'd rather take my chances in the short term of building this Patriots roster with 8 million or so guaranteed to Cam than 40+ million this year going to Dak. Patriots are LUCKY to get someone with Cam's relatively good upside at such little money. Cam isn't the long term answer since he relies so much on his legs but he could be a good bridge QB for the next 1-2 years.

The other reason this is a good move is now the Patriots have no desperation to overpay to trade up in the draft for a quarterback.

Chris Meck
03-12-2021, 11:24 AM
Cam went 7-8 last year and not 3-12. It would have probably been 9-6 if the Patriots didn't have the COVID opt outs which included Hightower and Newton had more familiarity with the system from a real preseason/didn't get covid himself. Call it 9-7 since if Newton had played, the Chiefs game probably still a loss but closer game for sure.

So if you buy that 9-7 notion under more normal circumstances. Team with its highest draft position in years and lots of salary cap room after not having much money the year before, may be able to not only make the playoffs but win a game or two in them.

Cam isn't the same player he once was when he won MVP but I disagree with the notion that he sucks.

I'd rather take my chances in the short term of building this Patriots roster with 8 million or so guaranteed to Cam than 40+ million this year going to Dak. Patriots are LUCKY to get someone with Cam's relatively good upside at such little money. Cam isn't the long term answer since he relies so much on his legs but he could be a good bridge QB for the next 1-2 years.

The other reason this is a good move is now the Patriots have no desperation to overpay to trade up in the draft for a quarterback.

Oh dude.

Dude.

LMAO

RealSNR
03-12-2021, 11:27 AM

Brady left because Bill refused to give him anybody who could get open. And now that he has a more ineffective QB than Brady, he still hasn't changed. Why? Because something something mumble mumble team game mumble mumble do your job.

He's too far up his own asshole to see that just because his team building philosophy of "I'm God and everybody else sucks a fat dick" worked in the past, it doesn't mean it will always work.

FloridaMan88
03-12-2021, 11:28 AM

In other words you are trying to convince yourself that the Faketriots are more than a floundering franchise with shitty QB play and there is no hope for a change in this direction in the near future.

Enjoy your 7-9/mediocre existence.

tredadda
03-12-2021, 11:51 AM

I give you credit for being one of the few people to remain a Pats fan and not to suddenly become a Bucs fan.

Easy 6
03-12-2021, 11:56 AM
I would 100% no troll legit be gouging out my eyes with a melon baller at the thought of Cam Newton leading my team this year

TEX
03-12-2021, 11:57 AM

NOT buying the "9-7 notion, but am buying the Pats are done. Keeping Cam is a prime example of why.

GoForIt
03-12-2021, 12:22 PM

Cam is the desperation move. Bill completely crapped the bed moving on from Brady and having zero succession plan.

Bowser
03-12-2021, 12:34 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9GOHzv61L2UyYM/giphy.gif

tk13
03-12-2021, 12:39 PM
The only thing I can think of is at least now he'll have a whole offseason to work with this team. He basically came in right before training camp last year.

Also wonder if the Pats draft a QB and use Cam in a Kurt Warner/Eli Manning setup.

rabblerouser
03-12-2021, 12:40 PM
I would 100% no troll legit be gouging out my eyes with a melon baller at the thought of Cam Newton leading my team this year

Hey, do you remember the shit we deluded ourselves with every single offseason from 1998-2016?

I remember after 2003, when it was announced Gunther was coming back, I thought "instant top 10 defense and playoff run is assured."

WTF happened? The best Chiefs offense ever not lead by Mahomes or Dawson. RECORD-BREAKING offense, one of the best offenses of all time.

What did that get us? 7-9. Because we had the same ****ing players on defense that shit the bed down the stretch in 2003.

If Patriot fans think that Hightower is worth 2 wins alone and that Belichick is some kind of QB whisperer who can tame that old wild stallion in Brokedick Newton, who the **** are we to tell them not to believe that bullshit?

buy tickets. Buy Cam Newton jerseys the way people bought Alex Smith jerseys and Matt Cassel jerseys and Elvis Grbac jerseys. Hell, I still have my 1993 Joe Montana jeresey. At least he got us to an AFC Championship Game, and if it weren't for an illegal (and uncalled) helmet-to-helmet hit on Montana, the Chiefs probably beat Dallas and the concussed Aikman in the Souper Bowl...

So, the only way that Newton does ANYTHING is if the NFL wants Brady in two straight SBs (again) and this time want him to beat NE in the big game. He became the only QB to win a Super Bowl in his home stadium. Might as well let him be the only QB to beat his former team in the dance. ****, I think NE is the only team he hasn't beaten at this point, right??

Chris Meck
03-12-2021, 01:29 PM
Bill's lucky that The Jets are so inept, or he'd finish last in that division this year.

Red Dawg
03-12-2021, 03:52 PM
The only thing I can think of is at least now he'll have a whole offseason to work with this team. He basically came in right before training camp last year.

Also wonder if the Pats draft a QB and use Cam in a Kurt Warner/Eli Manning setup.

I don't care how much work he gets. They have shit for skill players and FA's are not interested with no Brady. They won't win jack shit in the near future.

Bwana
03-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Dumpster Fire.

Kiimo
03-12-2021, 04:49 PM
I have truly enjoyed the death of Patriot Fan. They had one of the best runs ever but since nobody cared about the team before Brady I'm sure their loyalty is naturally shifting back to the Red Sox. Or Tampa lol

tredadda
03-12-2021, 04:50 PM
I don't care how much work he gets. They have shit for skill players and FA's are not interested with no Brady. They won't win jack shit in the near future.

Yes. FAs were willing to tolerate Bill because they knew they had a chance to win with Brady. He is gone. FAs are not going to put up with Bill's B.S. and style without that.

Hoover
03-12-2021, 04:53 PM
Yes. FAs were willing to tolerate Bill because they knew they had a chance to win with Brady. He is gone. FAs are not going to put up with Bill's B.S. and style without that.
Going to be interesting to see what they can do with their 70 million in cap space.

jallmon
03-12-2021, 04:54 PM
Man, idk. Pay twice as much for the same guy who didn't do well last year? Sounds to me like he wants CN as a fallback in case something else he's going to try craters. Or in case he does go get a good QB, and his oline collapses, he can put in CN as a sacrificial anode.

Billicheat is a devious critter.

tredadda
03-12-2021, 05:04 PM
Going to be interesting to see what they can do with their 70 million in cap space.

Oh they will bring people in as money talks. They just won't take any discounts.

TripleThreat
03-12-2021, 05:06 PM

I agree with this post, though I seem to be in the minority in that regard.

I don’t think cam is washed. The patriots looked like an average football team at the beginning of the season last year before cam had to take a few weeks off, that if you didn’t bring your game, they could beat you.

I think the upside is there, they were missing a ton of players last year, and COVID didn’t help. None of us ever believed cam to be a book smart guy, so a limited off season, limited in person appearances, and the missed early game time is enough for me to think this signing has more upside than downside...

He still is just a bridge qb though.

rabblerouser
03-12-2021, 05:53 PM

I would consider 7-8 to be no different than 3-12 if the 3-12 mark didn't carry such a significantly higher draft pick...

crispystl
03-12-2021, 06:34 PM
They still play football up there?

JD10367
03-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Eh. I actually don't mind this move as much as I would've six months ago. He's not great but he's not horrible. And there's not much of a better option out there. He had no preseason, then he was one of the first to get the Rona which really fucked up his progress. Not to mention he had literally no weapons. Clearly they have no interest in Stidham; the last game of a lost season was against the lowly Jets, and they STILL wouldn't put Stidham in, so obviously he's not in their plans. They could trade for Mahomes and would still probably go 8-8 due to the lack of talent on the roster, so they might as well roll with Cam, draft a young QB, and shuffle through a rebuilding year.

Chris Meck
03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Can you fucking imagine THIS being your fucking plan?

LOL

LMAO

FloridaMan88
03-12-2021, 06:49 PM
Eh. I actually don't mind this move as much as I would've six months ago. He's not great but he's not horrible. And there's not much of a better option out there. He had no preseason, then he was one of the first to get the Rona which really ****ed up his progress. Not to mention he had literally no weapons. Clearly they have no interest in Stidham; the last game of a lost season was against the lowly Jets, and they STILL wouldn't put Stidham in, so obviously he's not in their plans. They could trade for Mahomes and would still probably go 8-8 due to the lack of talent on the roster, so they might as well roll with Cam, draft a young QB, and shuffle through a rebuilding year.

Faketriots fans wanting to believe that a lack of preseason last year explains Cam’s struggles is hilariously pathetic.

Rookie QB’s Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow had no preseason and it didn’t affect them.

All of the preseason preparation in the world won’t change the fact that Cam is done.

The Faketriots look like they have given up... enjoy perennial 7-9.

JD10367
03-12-2021, 06:55 PM
Can you ****ing imagine THIS being your ****ing plan?

LOL

LMAO

Easy to make fun of others now that you have the best young QB and won the Super Bowl last season... oh, wait, you didn't. So you sound like the guy who came in 2nd at the Indy 500 making fun of everyone else behind him. There are about 5 stud QBs in the league right now, and everyone else is making do with whatever works. If you'd like to trade us Mahomes we'll be happy to take him off your hands and cut Cam.

JD10367
03-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Faketriots fans wanting to believe that a lack of preseason last year explains Cam’s struggles is hilariously pathetic.

Rookie QB’s Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow had no preseason and it didn’t affect them.

All of the preseason preparation in the world won’t change the fact that Cam is done.

The Faketriots look like they have given up... enjoy perennial 7-9.

We didn't win the Super Bowl. You didn't win the Super Bowl.

And you sound like a fucking child with that "Faketriots" bullshit.

You and 95% of the posters here are why I'm happy Tampa won.

Chris Meck
03-12-2021, 06:59 PM
Easy to make fun of others now that you have the best young QB and won the Super Bowl last season... oh, wait, you didn't. So you sound like the guy who came in 2nd at the Indy 500 making fun of everyone else behind him. There are about 5 stud QBs in the league right now, and everyone else is making do with whatever works. If you'd like to trade us Mahomes we'll be happy to take him off your hands and cut Cam.

you really gotta reach to talk smack, eh?

Our run is just beginning.

What I don't get is this-Belichick is a smart guy. He knows you can't win with Cam. I mean, he has to, right? What the fuck is he doing?

And yeah, at any point in time, there are about 5 elite QB's. If you don't have one, you'd better be doing whatever is necessary to get one.

Giving Cam Newton $14m ain't it.

Trust us, we did that shit for 50 fucking years.

FloridaMan88
03-12-2021, 07:00 PM

And you sound like a ****ing child with that "Faketriots" bullshit.

The Chiefs are aggressively attacking the primary cause for why they didn’t win the Super Bowl by tearing down and rebuilding their offensive line.

Meanwhile the Faketriots are bringing back Can’t Newton and embracing mediocrity.

Enjoy.

LMAO

Chris Meck
03-12-2021, 07:04 PM
hey you know what's hilarious?

The Patriots are going to pay Cam Newton TWICE what we'll pay Mahomes in 2021.

alpha_omega
03-12-2021, 07:09 PM
8-8 (or 8-9 or 9-8). Same thing.

Sorry
03-12-2021, 09:27 PM
Cam was injured and lost track of the offense plus he had covid.. check out I am athlete podcast

BryanBusby
03-12-2021, 09:32 PM
I think the base value of this deal really is 1yr/5m. Honestly, it's not bad when you put it into perspective.

Either he reaches ridiculous levels and is worth all 14m or he gets paid like a back up, which is the level he's at by now.

RealSNR
03-13-2021, 12:20 AM

Belishit isn't "making do." He's taking the Denver Broncos approach to finding a QB right now. If he keeps being a stubborn retard like he's always been, the results will be the same, and one day he'll find himself "promoted" away from the sidelines.

Washed up Cam Newton? May as well be washed up Joe Flacco. Hell, for the longest time last offseason he tried convincing NFL media that Jarrett Stidham was an actual NFL starting QB. Elway did the same fucking thing with Trevor Semen.

We're making fun of the Patriots because in their goal to never get desperate, they're DESPERATE to not get desperate, because the piles of shit they're bringing in to start at QB are fucking pathetic. We're in the middle of a QB renaissance and THIS is Bill's solution.

It's the moves of a guy who's too fucking full of his own ass to admit he was wrong about something and move on.

notorious
03-13-2021, 01:26 AM
Damn, JD hit that button.

htismaqe
03-13-2021, 01:30 AM
Belishit isn't "making do." He's taking the Denver Broncos approach to finding a QB right now. If he keeps being a stubborn retard like he's always been, the results will be the same, and one day he'll find himself "promoted" away from the sidelines.

Washed up Cam Newton? May as well be washed up Joe Flacco. Hell, for the longest time last offseason he tried convincing NFL media that Jarrett Stidham was an actual NFL starting QB. Elway did the same fucking thing with Trevor Semen.

We're making fun of the Patriots because in their goal to never get desperate, they're DESPERATE to not get desperate, because the piles of shit they're bringing in to start at QB are fucking pathetic. We're in the middle of a QB renaissance and THIS is Bill's solution.

It's the moves of a guy who's too fucking full of his own ass to admit he was wrong about something and move on.

It's the moves of a guy that had Tom Brady land in his lap.

No Tom Brady, no Patriots. Pretty simple.

FloridaMan88
03-13-2021, 05:31 AM

There is a reason BeliFraud is a below .500 HC when coaching teams without Brady as his starting QB.

mililo4cpa
03-13-2021, 05:58 AM

whatever makes you sleep well!

Skyy God
03-13-2021, 06:45 AM

Ok, Himmler.

InChiefsHeaven
03-13-2021, 07:00 AM

As a guy who hates the Patriots, I think this really sums it up. The Patriots have really been the New England Tom's for 20 years...that's why many Pats fans followed him to Tompa Bay. Their team is gonna suck for a long time now, because their success was all about Tom.

Honestly, in 12 or 15 years, it could be the same thing for the Chiefs. When Mahomes finally rides off into the sunset, the Chiefs may well fall back into 70s level suck. But...that's a loooooong way off. Make that hay boys...the sun is shining on KC.

Coochie liquor
03-13-2021, 08:23 AM

Must suck being the third best team in your division after all these years, huh?

rydogg58
03-13-2021, 10:03 AM

And you sound like a fucking child with that "Faketriots" bullshit.

I highly doubt the bolded part is true. If there is a segment of football fans that truly hated how the last super bowl ended MORE than Chiefs fans, it was Patriot fans. You and your lot got to sit back and watch Brady prove that it wasn't just the coach that brought all those rings to New England. And it pisses you off because you know those days are long behind you.

Chris Meck
03-13-2021, 10:12 AM
The irony of Patriots fans crying about KC fans being arrogant.

eat a bunch of 2-14 dicks you assholes.

Chief Roundup
03-13-2021, 10:19 AM
It is really a 1 year $5.5 Million contract with only $3.5 Million guaranteed. The rest is incentives that will never be met.

rabblerouser
03-13-2021, 10:47 AM
They still play football up there?

Kind of.

rabblerouser
03-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Can you ****ing imagine THIS being your ****ing plan?

LOL

LMAO

(Remembers alternating Brokie Croyle with Damon "Chandler Bing" Huard in 2007)

Yes, and it's a terrible plan.

Chris Meck
03-13-2021, 11:25 AM
(Remembers alternating Brokie Croyle with Damon "Chandler Bing" Huard in 2007)

Yes, and it's a terrible plan.

remembers alternating Steve Fuller with Bill Kenney.

jeez what a shitty plan.

Remembers alternating Steve Deberg with Ron Jaworski

ooh, that one too.

Remembers trying Mark Vlasic with hope in our hearts

Dear god, that was shitty