PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ray Lewis said he quit watching Super Bowl LV after rash of penalties on Chiefs

petegz28
03-27-2021, 08:40 AM
Sorry if Q

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article250228975.html?fbclid=IwAR1k82hl_ztzelmRPAP1E3dkUOZpHl7RazNHoXYzTzvd3s4t92vGq2v2a8Y

There was no definitive turning point in Super Bowl LV, but a pivotal stretch came late in the first half of the Buccaneers’ 31-9 win over the Chiefs.

At the two minute warning, Tampa Bay led 14-3 but the Chiefs had a first down at the Buccaneers’ 18-yard line. The Chiefs managed just 4 yards on their next three plays and settled for a 34-yard field goal from Harrison Butker with 1:01 left in the quarter.

The Buccaneers got the ball back and drove 71 yards in 55 seconds for a touchdown. The Chiefs were called for a pair of pass-interference penalties that accounted for 42 yards on the drive.

It was at that point that former Ravens star Ray Lewis turned off the television. Lewis, a seven-time All-Pro linebacker who is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was disgusted by the penalties on the Chiefs, who were flagged eight times for 95 yards in the first half.

During an interview Thursday on ESPN’s “First Take,” Lewis mentioned the Super Bowl when talking with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman about how defenses are treated in the NFL these days.

“It’s hard. It’s hard to watch the game,” Lewis said. “I’m going to give you a few names and you tell me why you guys remember them. When you think about Jack Lambert, when you think about Dick Butkus, when you think about Mike Singletary, when you think about Ronnie Lott, when you think about those type of players, what do you think about?

“You think about physical football. You think about defenders having the offensive coordinator fear you, because on the other side you could deliver that hit. But now, Stephen, Max, I turned the TV off in the Super Bowl once they made those few calls against Kansas City, because you can’t call those types of calls, but that’s the way the game has gone.

“And the essence of the game, right, the essence of the game is you buckle both chin straps up, and you pay a price if you come across the middle. And that isn’t the answer anymore man. And it’s just really hard to watch football, even from the collegiate level.”

Lewis later praised the Buccaneers defense for shutting down the Chiefs in the Super Bowl and mentioned how the Ravens shut down the Giants in a 34-7 win in Super Bowl XXXV.

“When you talk about dominating a Super Bowl, you’ve got to remember ... 20 years ago in that same stadium, Raymond James Stadium, they didn’t score,” Lewis said. “The Giants didn’t score and to watch Kansas City not score, Todd Bowles and that defense, defense wins championships.”

Jewish Rabbi
03-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Jesus Christ man, it’s been almost two months. Give it up.

Deberg_1990
03-27-2021, 08:56 AM
He’s right. As the game has exploded in popularity over the past 20-30 years, the overall level of defense has declined.

You never even see the 13-10, 10-7 type of games anymore.

But it’s what the NFL wanted. They don’t care because the games popularity is stronger than ever.

SuperBowl4
03-27-2021, 09:17 AM
Totally Non Gay All Male Tackle-Fest -> "Would God allow a murderer to go to 13 pro bowls? I rest my faith" - Jon Stewart - referring to Ray Lewis - Jon Stewart's The Daily Show 2013 Super Bowl recap. ROFL -

rico
03-27-2021, 09:28 AM
We need more people like Ray Lewis out there!

rydogg58
03-27-2021, 09:32 AM
We need more people like Ray Lewis out there!

We'd likely end up up less people in the world if there were more people like Ray Lewis.

ThyKingdomCome15
03-27-2021, 09:34 AM

No

tmax63
03-27-2021, 09:50 AM
We'd likely end up up less people in the world if there were more people like Ray Lewis.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Rain Man
03-27-2021, 10:51 AM
If there's anything Ray Lewis doesn't like, it's injustice.

Well, in most cases.

Kman34
03-27-2021, 11:48 AM
Those penalties weren’t for late hits or personal fouls... They were the on phantom coverage fouls.. Ray needed to call it what it was... A gift to Tom Brady by the refs...

displacedinMN
03-27-2021, 12:32 PM
#investigatecarlcheffers

lawrenceRaider
03-27-2021, 01:03 PM

His commentary is an indictment of football in general and how it is totally stacked in favor of offense.

notorious
03-27-2021, 01:08 PM
I stopped watching, too.

The writing was on the wall.

Spott
03-27-2021, 01:13 PM
I stopped watching, too.

The writing was on the wall.

I turned it off at halftime, too. There was no sense watching the rest of it because it was obvious to everyone the refs were taking matters into their own hands. We’ve all seen this show a million times before, and it always ends up the same.

KC_Connection
03-27-2021, 01:27 PM
I mean I effectively stopped watching too. That game was all but fixed in Brady’s favor and there was no coming back after that 1st half.

Mennonite
03-27-2021, 01:32 PM
If there's anything Ray Lewis doesn't like, it's injustice.

Well, in most cases.

If there was justice in this world we'd be commenting on a story about how Ray Lewis just shanked his cell mate Tom Brady for being a kiddy-diddler.

Chiefshrink
03-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Ambulance chasers ruin everything it seems.:rolleyes:

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-27-2021, 05:37 PM
What's amazing i n this thread is the number of people that say they quit watching at halftime when Mahomes made a comeback in every playoff game last year. I call bullshit.

Baby Lee
03-27-2021, 05:59 PM
What's amazing i n this thread is the number of people that say they quit watching at halftime when Mahomes made a comeback in every playoff game last year. I call bullshit.

I watched the whole thing because;

it was just me and a SB for the first time since I was a teenager, thanks Chguy-NUH.

it was the last football for a long time regardless

Coochie liquor
03-27-2021, 06:00 PM

This! I was talking mad shit to the Bucs fans I know at halftime. Telling them Patrick has this and they’ll talk about this comeback for years. But the refs weren’t having it.

Rain Man
03-27-2021, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I quit enjoying it when brady's officiating crew took over, but I sure as heck didn't stop watching it. This Chiefs team can overcome anything.

Titty Meat
03-27-2021, 06:18 PM
This never happened

PHOG
03-27-2021, 06:23 PM
Fuck Ray Lewis, and I never stopped watching.

Chiefshrink
03-27-2021, 06:34 PM

Hog I get your point, I seriously do BUT this game was different on top of the biased officiating in the first half. I had no doubt about the 54 SB and a comeback BUT 55 SB when you only have 2 starters on the o-line and the rest are back ups not to mention your 2 starters should be backups as well, I assure you TB d line were licking their chops.

I did not feel good about this game AT ALL going in. But no one can say Pat didn't try to overcome the adversity presented to him because his unbelievable athletic feats of attempting 2 passes that should have been TDs showed just how competitive and never say die this kid really IS AT HEART. Even IF he completes those passes for TDs we still lose that game IMHO. Of course I watched the whole game as painful as it was.

ThyKingdomCome15
03-27-2021, 07:02 PM
It took the air out of the game. It was clear even had the Chiefs got back in it another slew of penalty flags woulda been thrown. There was no coming back.

kcxiv
03-27-2021, 07:03 PM
i think i checked out with like 8 min left in the 4th. no way was i going to watch the end of that shit. While the Chiefs did play like shit, it sure wasnt a level playing field.

Red Beans
03-27-2021, 07:15 PM
Killer take by Ray. He really cut to the chase.

Bob Dole
03-28-2021, 02:53 AM
I turned it off after the second bs PI.

BigRedChief
03-28-2021, 07:59 AM
He’s right. As the game has exploded in popularity over the past 20-30 years, the overall level of defense has declined.

You never even see the 13-10, 10-7 type of games anymore.

But it’s what the NFL wanted. They don’t care because the games popularity is stronger than ever.The NFL did it because the people wanted it.

The public doesn't want Hill blown up by some no name LB because he ran a route in the middle of the field. That era is over. Lewis is a dinosaur.

Long live the Mahomes era!

InChiefsHeaven
03-28-2021, 08:01 AM
It was the SB, and my team was playing in it. No way I was turning it off. BUT...I stepped out to the garage with my buddy to smoke a cigar, which I was saving till after the game, but I figured screw it...this was not going to be a win. Might as well enjoy my damn cigar.

I still held out hope in the second half, but it was obvious to me that the Chiefs really only showed up with one player, our hero Patrick. Add to that the officiating especially in the 2nd quarter...I knew the Chiefs were cooked. I consoled myself with the knowledge that the Chiefs have had 2 SB's in a row, and there will be more to come. We have a generational QB. We lost the game, but the future is very bright.

Also, and I know this isn't popular, but I hope we never play Tom Brady again in a meaningful game. He will not lose it. It is what it is. I hate that guy, and all of his fans...

Happy Palm Sunday to all.

Why Not?
03-28-2021, 08:23 AM
Also, and I know this isn't popular, but I hope we never play Tom Brady again in a meaningful game. He will not lose it. It is what it is.

Agreed. At this point, I don't care about beating him. I just want him to go away.

Bearcat
03-28-2021, 08:48 AM

Two people? The two people saying it is amazing?

Redbled
03-28-2021, 10:39 AM
The only reason the officiating got ok in the 2nd half was cause they didn’t need to continue to help the Bucs. If the game had gotten close you better believe Tom would have gotten all the calls he needed. Most tainted title in history.

Sorry
03-28-2021, 10:51 AM
I mean I effectively stopped watching too. That game was all but fixed in Brady’s favor and there was no coming back after that 1st half.

Yeah, nfl told KC oline to suck - which would lead to some of them losing their livelihoods on a perennial contender. Also told KC to drop passes.Or KC being known for holding going into the game. This is what happens when you give teams two weeks to prepare and the teams already played each other during the season. Did you say kc win was fixed on all the holding y’all did in the prior SB that wasn’t called?

KC_Connection
03-28-2021, 11:46 AM
Yeah, nfl told KC oline to suck - which would lead to some of them losing their livelihoods on a perennial contender. Also told KC to drop passes.Or KC being known for holding going into the game. This is what happens when you give teams two weeks to prepare and the teams already played each other during the season. Did you say kc win was fixed on all the holding y’all did in the prior SB that wasn’t called?
The NFL gifted Brady a 2 touchdown lead in the 1st half on phantom calls, which irreversibly changed the way the game was played in the 2nd half. It was one of the more blatant screwjobs of the guy's entire career, which is saying something.

KC_Connection
03-28-2021, 11:50 AM
Also, and I know this isn't popular, but I hope we never play Tom Brady again in a meaningful game. He will not lose it. It is what it is. I hate that guy, and all of his fans...

By not lose it, I assume you mean the NFL will not let him lose it. If so, I agree. The Chiefs will want to avoid Brady in any future big games. Those games are not played on a level playing field and never have been.

siberian khatru
03-28-2021, 12:26 PM
It was the SB, and my team was playing in it. No way I was turning it off. BUT...I stepped out to the garage with my buddy to smoke a cigar, which I was saving till after the game, but I figured screw it...this was not going to be a win. Might as well enjoy my damn cigar.

I still held out hope in the second half, but it was obvious to me that the Chiefs really only showed up with one player, our hero Patrick. Add to that the officiating especially in the 2nd quarter...I knew the Chiefs were cooked. I consoled myself with the knowledge that the Chiefs have had 2 SB's in a row, and there will be more to come. We have a generational QB. We lost the game, but the future is very bright.

Happy Palm Sunday to all.

Man, I could’ve written almost exactly that post. :thumb:

Lzen
03-28-2021, 01:31 PM
Agreed. At this point, I don't care about beating him. I just want him to go away.

Maybe if we're lucky someone will break his leg like Alex Smith and he'll be forced to retire. At this point, that's the only way I see the refs not giving him a big game win.

Chieftain
03-28-2021, 01:41 PM
I hate complaining about the Refs but there is a reason fans throughout the league complain too about these cöcksuckers. The first half of the SB was as one-sided of an officiating as you will ever see. Even faider and donkey fans would agree.

Bugeater
03-28-2021, 06:03 PM

You are a Sorry piece of shit for sure. Please go back to whatever miserable rock you crawled out from under.

Cntrygal
03-28-2021, 06:18 PM

Try being in the AFCE for the last 20 years......

Spott
03-28-2021, 06:21 PM
You are a Sorry piece of shit for sure. Please go back to whatever miserable rock you crawled out from under.

You have the power to send him back.

Coochie liquor
03-28-2021, 06:27 PM
The NFL gifted Brady a 2 touchdown lead in the 1st half on phantom calls, which irreversibly changed the way the game was played in the 2nd half. It was one of the more blatant screwjobs of the guy's entire career, which is saying something.

It fucking sucks that we lost. But there were other things at play as well. Andy using the TO’s to give TB enough time to make another score was absolutely infuriating. Thinking we could go into this game with zero starters on the OL, and the exact same gameplan we had in week 11, without any kind of adjustment at half, was some of the worst coaching I’ve ever seen from Andy. Not running the ball when we were actually gaining yards on it on the first half was ridiculous. The refs didn’t help, the OL wasn’t even protecting our half a billion dollar investment. This game was never gonna be a win. Brady, at home, for a SB, for the first time ever wasn’t gonna be denied. Let’s just hope we can get our shit together and stay healthy for the season this year.

comochiefsfan
03-28-2021, 06:52 PM
I have no earthly idea why anybody on here wants to play the Buccaneers again in the Super Bowl.

I'm so fucking tired of the referees getting down on their knees for Brady every time he needs them to.

The first half of the Super Bowl was the kind of shit that almost ruins the whole thing for you. It sort of made me wonder why the fuck I was so invested in the game when the whole thing was so blatantly steered towards Tampa Bay.

I have absolutely no interest in reliving that farce. Another clown show like that might put me off the NFL for good.

Spott
03-28-2021, 07:00 PM
I have no earthly idea why anybody on here wants to play the Buccaneers again in the Super Bowl.

I'm so fucking tired of the referees getting down on their knees for Brady every time he needs them to.

The first half of the Super Bowl was the kind of shit that almost ruins the whole thing for you. It sort of made me wonder why the fuck I was so invested in the game when the whole thing was so blatantly steered towards Tampa Bay.

I have absolutely no interest in reliving that farce. Another clown show like that might put me off the NFL for good.

It felt like a colossal waste of time to watch every game all season just to have the refs take a giant shit on the game just to appease their little golden boy yet again. I should have known better, but there’s been way too many blatant examples of the league steering games to fit their agenda.

comochiefsfan
03-28-2021, 07:17 PM
It felt like a colossal waste of time to watch every game all season just to have the refs take a giant shit on the game just to appease their little golden boy yet again. I should have known better, but there’s been way too many blatant examples of the league steering games to fit their agenda.The lack of transparency with officiating is infuriating to me. That charade takes place in the first half and we're just supposed to accept it and not question it.

Why is Carl Cheffers not required to speak to the media after the championship game of the fucking league? Why can't he explain to us what the thought process was behind throwing some of those phantom flags? Why aren't replay officials mic'd up? Why are officials so secretive and protected?

I know the answer, but it's so frustrating mainly because not a single fan wants the league to steer games but they fucking do it anyway.

Bearcat
03-28-2021, 07:19 PM
It fucking sucks that we lost. But there were other things at play as well. Andy using the TO’s to give TB enough time to make another score was absolutely infuriating. Thinking we could go into this game with zero starters on the OL, and the exact same gameplan we had in week 11, without any kind of adjustment at half, was some of the worst coaching I’ve ever seen from Andy. Not running the ball when we were actually gaining yards on it on the first half was ridiculous. The refs didn’t help, the OL wasn’t even protecting our half a billion dollar investment. This game was never gonna be a win. Brady, at home, for a SB, for the first time ever wasn’t gonna be denied. Let’s just hope we can get our shit together and stay healthy for the season this year.

Yeah, I don't think I've seen anyone (or else very few) say the Chiefs had a good chance at winning that game... that's not really the point, it's the calls "irreversibly changed the way the game was played in the 2nd half".

And as a fan, you always know there's a chance your team will shit the bed. That's part of sports. OTOH, feeling like a game you've looked forward to for an entire year get ripped away from you by that level of bullshit is what really got me.

I compared it to planning some huge vacation a year in advance.... and if you got there and it rained the entire time, well, that happens. It sucks, but sometimes it rains. But, if the hotel fucked you out of your reservation and some asshole stole your luggage and your wallet AND it rained the entire time, the rain wouldn't even matter.... it would be the assholes who literally took away the experience.

And we all know the magic of Mahomes, thus having any chance in the 2nd half is infinitely better..... and you want that hope in the 2nd half, because Mahomes can overcome almost anything. Look forward to those ~4 hours all year and we got about a quarter of that.

ChiefsFanatic
03-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Reid and EB called their worst game in 3 years. They did not protect Mahomes they way they should have, and they seemed to never fully comprehend that our backup tackles couldn't block a stationary sled, much less the Tampa D-line.

But the officials absolutely affected the outcome of the game, on some very questionable calls.

Having the refs play a part in the outcome of big games won't stop until the NFL hires full time officials, and allows the media to hold those officials accountable for their questionable calls.

And the NFL will never make either of those things happen, because they need poor officiating to exist. I am not saying that they specifically predetermine the game winner beforehand, because the people betting on the games and making bank don't actually have to pick the outright winner to win money.

The NFL has been making money from legal sports betting, through who knows how many layers of illegal protection, for decades. They are the only professional sports league, I believe in the world, that mandates that teams disclose player injuries publicly each week before the next game. At least they were the only sports league that did so at one time, but maybe some league somewhere has the same mandate now.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Bearcat
03-28-2021, 07:23 PM
It felt like a colossal waste of time to watch every game all season just to have the refs take a giant shit on the game just to appease their little golden boy yet again. I should have known better, but there’s been way too many blatant examples of the league steering games to fit their agenda.

The lack of transparency with officiating is infuriating to me. That charade takes place in the first half and we're just supposed to accept it and not question it.

Why is Carl Cheffers not required to speak to the media after the championship game of the fucking league? Why can't he explain to us what the thought process was behind throwing some of those phantom flags? Why aren't replay officials mic'd up? Why are officials so secretive and protected?

I know the answer, but it's so frustrating mainly because not a single fan wants the league to steer games but they fucking do it anyway.

Exactly.... and it strips future seasons of at least some hype (if not all of it). Of course, not every future playoff/SB game will be that horribly officiated, but just knowing how bad it can be with zero fucks given from the NFL will kill excitement leading up to games.

Oh hey, the Chiefs are really great this year... guess we'll see if they're supposed to win it all. :shrug:

comochiefsfan
03-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Exactly.... and it strips future seasons of at least some hype (if not all of it). Of course, not every future playoff/SB game will be that horribly officiated, but just knowing how bad it can be with zero ****s given from the NFL will kill excitement leading up to games.

Oh hey, the Chiefs are really great this year... guess we'll see if they're supposed to win it all. :shrug:I just want to be able to go into games with the confidence that my team has a fair shot to win. I don't think that's asking too much.

I can live with losing if it's because we just played poorly. That shit happens and at least you know the loss was all on us. I can't live with losing if it's because the officials never gave us a fair shake. I wish the league would just end the charade, fix officiating and let the teams decide who the better squad is. Leave the fucking refball out of it. Literally not a single person wants that outside of the league office.

displacedinMN
03-29-2021, 07:27 AM
I hate complaining about the Refs but there is a reason fans throughout the league complain too about these cöcksuckers. The first half of the SB was as one-sided of an officiating as you will ever see. Even faider and donkey fans would agree.

Even the announcers/talking heads agreed. I have not talked to anyone that does not agree with that statement. So disappointed at the whole thing.

#investigatecarlcheffers