PDA

View Full Version : Misc Black bear season coming to MO this Oct.

dlphg9
03-27-2021, 12:05 PM
https://ktvo.com/news/local/mdc-announces-first-black-bear-season-for-missouri-to-run-this-fall

"The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) announces the state’s first black-bear hunting season is slated for this coming fall, Oct. 18–27."

The approved regulations limit bear hunting to Missouri residents and restrict bear hunting to designated areas of southern Missouri. Missouri residents will be able to apply during May for the Oct. 18-27 hunt with permit selection by July 1 through a random drawing of applicants.

Missouri’s estimated 800 (600 – 1000) black bears are found south of the Missouri River, and primarily south of Interstate 44. MDC has established three Bear Management Zones (BMZ) in southern Missouri and will issue annual permit numbers and harvest quotas for each of the three BMZs. Each permit will be for a specific BMZ and may be used on public or private property within the BMZ.

Permit and harvest quotas for the upcoming Oct. 18-27 bear season will be:

BMZ 1: Permit quota of 200 issued with a harvest quota of 20 bears

BMZ 2: permit quota of 50 issued with a harvest quota of 5 bears

BMZ 3: Permit quota of 50 issued with a a harvest quota of 5 bears

The limited hunting season will be restricted to Missouri residents and will begin each year on the third Monday in October and run for 10 days or until BMZ-specific quotas are reached. Once the specific harvest quotas are filled for each BMZ, the season for that BMZ will be closed.

“Being able to add this iconic species to the long list of hunting opportunities for Missourians is a testament to the decades of bear research and management by MDC staff,” said MDC Director Sara Parker Pauley. “A limited annual hunting season will help manage the growing number of black bears in the state.”

MDC proposed a limited and highly regulated black-bear hunting season following several years of public comment, including informational open houses in 2019 and a public-input process in the spring and fall of 2020.

“A bear-hunting season in our state will provide opportunities for Missourians to participate in the sustainable harvest of this valuable wildlife species,” said MDC Bear Biologist Laura Conlee. “As our black bear population continues to grow, a highly regulated hunting season will be an essential part of population management into the future. The timing and length of the season, allowed hunting methods, and a limited permit allocation coupled with a limited harvest quota will ensure a sustainable harvest of our growing bear population.”

"Hunting hours will be a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset. Hunters will be allowed to use both archery and firearms equipment with allowable methods being the same as those for deer and elk, except the use of an atlatl. Baiting and the use of dogs will not be allowed.

The harvest limit will be one bear per permit. Only lone black bears may be taken. Hunters may not take bears that are known to be in the presence of others bears, including female black bears with cubs. Bears may not be disturbed, pushed, harassed, or taken from a den. Bear hunters must wear hunter orange, make reasonable efforts to retrieve shot bears, and may not leave or abandon commonly edible portions.

All harvested bears must be telechecked by 10 p.m. on the day of harvest. Harvested bears must remain intact as a field-dressed carcass or quartered until the bear has been telechecked.

MDC will also require the submission of a tooth from each harvested bear within 10 days of harvest. This will help MDC staff with black bear research and management.

Hunters who are issued permits must call MDC each day before they intend to hunt to determine if the BMZ-specific quota has been reached. If harvest quotas are not reached, the season will close at the end of the 10 designated hunting days."

Definitely signing up for this. Only 300 permits will be issued and only 10% of those permits can legally be filled. So only 30 people can legally harvest a bear, so it'll be a very exclusive club lol.

Kman34
03-27-2021, 12:24 PM
I killed a bear when I was only 3...

Bwana
03-27-2021, 12:29 PM
They need to open up a grizzly season around here. The nasty stinky things are so over populated, it's ridiculous. Every time they try, the tree hugger's throw out a lawsuit and end up blocking it through some pussy judge.

Otter
03-27-2021, 12:41 PM
Bear meat, in my experience, leaves much to be desired. White tail, mule deer, hell even rabbit is much better.

Might make a neat carpet for in front of the fire place however.

Bowser
03-27-2021, 12:45 PM
They need to open up a grizzly season around here. The nasty stinky things are so over populated, it's ridiculous. Every time they try, the tree hugger's throw out a lawsuit and end up blocking it through some pussy judge.

You're just looking for a reason to take the Barret for a ride. :D

Mennonite
03-27-2021, 12:47 PM
Black bear season?

Raaaacist. And possibly homophobic.

Otter
03-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Black bear season?

Raaaacist. And possibly homophobic.

I've got some mountain lion chops on my bucket list. I've heard nothing but good things about those cuts.

Spott
03-27-2021, 02:02 PM
Is bear meat any good?

TLO
03-27-2021, 02:04 PM
Is bear meat any good?

Tastes like chicken

Pablo
03-27-2021, 02:09 PM
billay hunts bears. Different kind though.

jettio
Mitchell Trubisky got out just in time.

LiveSteam
Cotton tailes are food of the Gods.
Just use a little lemon pepper with your flower and toss into a cast iron skillet of peanut oil.
And God will show up for dinner.

Why Not?
03-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Would absolutely be in for this, but alas, I live 10 minutes into KS.

Frazod
03-27-2021, 02:29 PM
Wow, I didn't even realize that Missouri had bears. Of course, I never lived in the southern part of the state.

tmax63
03-27-2021, 02:53 PM
Is bear meat any good?

As long as you do a really good job of trimming the fat off it when butchered. Kind of like raccoon, get rid of the fat and it makes great shredded BBQ or stew.;)

Titty Meat
03-27-2021, 03:01 PM
I love a big black bear

scho63
03-27-2021, 03:12 PM
I love a big black bear

I see what you did there! :LOL:

Bwana
03-27-2021, 03:42 PM
Is bear meat any good?

I only tried it once and I wasn't impressed.

Spott
03-27-2021, 03:53 PM
As long as you do a really good job of trimming the fat off it when butchered. Kind of like raccoon, get rid of the fat and it makes great shredded BBQ or stew.;)

I had some relatives down in the ozarks that used to talk about eating raccoons and possums, but I’ve never been hungry enough to scoop one up off the road and eat it.

Spott
03-27-2021, 03:56 PM

If any place would have bear on a menu, I would think it would be Montana. I did see a few grizzlies from a distance the last time I was there. I would think they would be more edible than black bears because of their size.

Boise_Chief
03-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Bear is similar to pork. Select cuts and then lots of sausage. We have a guy that make fantastic jalapeño cheddar summer sausage

Bwana
03-27-2021, 04:43 PM
If any place would have bear on a menu, I would think it would be Montana. I did see a few grizzlies from a distance the last time I was there. I would think they would be more edible than black bears because of their size.

I have never seen it on a menu, but a buddy of mine shot one several years ago and we tried a couple of bear steaks. :hmmm:

jdubya
03-27-2021, 04:49 PM
Bear meat can be delicious. More than any other meat though it needs to be processed perfectly. Bear fat goes rancid so fast you need to get rid of as much as you can as soon as you can. Also depends on time of year and what the bear has been eating. My buddy opened up a bear one morning and it smelled like red wine. It was already self marinated in berries because that’s what it was eating. Folks who have had bad bear meat should smack whoever processed it before blaming it on the bear.

Mennonite
03-27-2021, 05:13 PM
If anyone ever wondered how Missouri ended up in the SEC this thread explains it.

Frazod
03-27-2021, 06:07 PM

Pretty much the way I feel about buffalo.

LiveSteam
03-27-2021, 06:24 PM
I got to eat a Nebraska harvested Antalope, few months back.
Diced up and browned in a pan of butter.
Was delicious. Would definitely drive out around the Wyoming boarder to harvest one.
Was way better than deer. IMO

Halfcan
03-27-2021, 07:42 PM
I would like to shoot a bear with a camera, not a gun. A Kodiak Bear catching a salmon in mid-flight would be a dream pic to get.

lewdog
03-27-2021, 07:48 PM

You take that back!!!

kjwood75nro
03-27-2021, 07:56 PM
OT, but does anybody know anybody who's successfully harvested a deer with an atlatl?

Crazy.

Titty Meat
03-27-2021, 08:10 PM
You take that back!!!

Hes too fat

philfree
03-27-2021, 08:18 PM
My brother who lives south of Rogersville has a/some bear that get into his trash cans. He has to kind of look before he takes his trash out. They'd probably just run off if he came out and they were there but you never know.

tmax63
03-27-2021, 08:51 PM
I had some relatives down in the ozarks that used to talk about eating raccoons and possums, but I’ve never been hungry enough to scoop one up off the road and eat it.

I've never ate roadkill either. You've probably never heard of racoon hunting. It's been a lot of years since then though. I could of made you a barbeque sandwich that you'd swear was the best pork you ever ate. Like the other gent said it's in the butchering and handling. To Bwana's point, we didn't make steaks out of her, just a lot of stew meat and roasts to make 'que with.

philfree
03-27-2021, 09:14 PM
I've never ate roadkill either. You've probably never heard of racoon hunting. It's been a lot of years since then though. I could of made you a barbeque sandwich that you'd swear was the best pork you ever ate. Like the other gent said it's in the butchering and handling. To Bwana's point, we didn't make steaks out of her, just a lot of stew meat and roasts to make 'que with.

Guy who used to work for me was always interested in Groundhog.

Frazod
03-27-2021, 09:57 PM
You take that back!!!

I probably should give it another try. I ordered it at a place in Custer once. The meat was stringy and tough, and had a weird flavor. I did not care for it. But the restaurant wasn't exactly four stars.

I'm just not a fan of buffaloes in general, particularly live ones. They're big, ugly, smelly and mean, and a serious traffic hazard. Topped a hill in Yellowstone once going about 50 and one of the goddamn things was standing in the middle of the road. Slammed on the brakes and missed it by inches. And they're all over the place in the Black Hills fucking shit up (the Black Hills being my favorite place on earth and a frequent vacation destination). Between them and all the friggin deer the roads can be like an obstacle course. I've never talked to anybody who lives in area that doesn't hate them.

Had they actually been hunted to extinction, I'd really have no problem with it.

ghak99
03-27-2021, 10:18 PM
I got to eat a Nebraska harvested Antalope, few months back.
Diced up and browned in a pan of butter.
Was delicious. Would definitely drive out around the Wyoming boarder to harvest one.
Was way better than deer. IMO

I think you've licked way too much ass.

I've yet to make a Wyoming sage goat taste good. Even the jerkey tastes like I drug it down the road and through the bush to favor it.

LiveSteam
03-27-2021, 10:20 PM
I thought it was excellent.
Not as excellent as a hot females ass. But excellent none the same.
Maybe Nebraska's are eating corn and the ones you've ate are eating grass?
I can tell the difference in beef.. And grass raised beef SUCKS!

ghak99
03-27-2021, 10:21 PM
Without bait, this bear season is going to be very difficult.

At least sending people out after them should restore a little of the fear of humans that they're quickly losing in many areas.

Frazod
03-27-2021, 10:23 PM

At least sending people out after them should restore a little of the fear of humans that they're quickly losing in many areas.

I thought people were bait. :D

ghak99
03-27-2021, 10:28 PM
I thought it was excellent. Maybe Nebraska's are eating corn and the ones you've ate are eating grass?
I can tell the difference in beef.. And grass raised beef SUCKS!

There is definitely no corn where I hunt them, so that could be it. They're lucky if they can even find an alfalfa field. Nothing but some grass, sagebrush, yuccas, and those damn little ground cactus that magically appear out of thin air as soon as you start to stalk.

ghak99
03-27-2021, 10:29 PM
I thought people were bait. :D

There's plenty in the Branson area that need to be used as bait.

srvy
03-27-2021, 10:42 PM
I've eaten bear a few times as one of the engineers in our office is from Wisconsin and goes back every year to hunt bear with his Dad.

He will have a parking lot cookout every successful year. Its become a tradition, bear burgers and shredded BBQ bear samiches. It tasted more like beef to me than pork denser though.
I talk with him all the time he said its best slow cooked or in stews and things. They don't really do well with steak cuts so most the back straps are cut into roasts a few stake cuts and the rest ground into burgers. Like any animal that eats other animals, it has to be cooked to like 160 to 170 internal to kill trichinosis.

He also said when they butcher they cut as much of the fat out as they can and before cooking any missed they remove as it can put off sour tastes. What the bear has been eating will flavor the meat. Ideally if they have been feeding on berries the meats delicious if fish it can nearly become inedible on its own. The fall a bear is trying to store as much fat for hibernation as it can. Spring bear he said is the best.

HemiEd
03-28-2021, 05:52 AM
Wow, I didn't even realize that Missouri had bears. Of course, I never lived in the southern part of the state.

Several of our neighbors have told me storys about seeing them here at the lake and I just blew it off as tall tales.

Bwana
03-28-2021, 06:36 AM

That's been a big problem with Grizzly bears around here. They haven't been hunted for so long, a lot of them don't have any fear of humans. In fact, they have been conditioned to run toward a gun shot during elk season, because they have learned that a gun shot means a gut pile and a free meal a lot of the time. Dangerous situation to say the least.

Frazod
03-28-2021, 07:32 AM
That's been a big problem with Grizzly bears around here. They haven't been hunted for so long, a lot of them don't have any fear of humans. In fact, they have been conditioned to run toward a gun shot during elk season, because they have learned that a gun shot means a gut pile and a free meal a lot of the time. Dangerous situation to say the least.

Wouldn't grizzlies pretty much not have fear of anything regardless of whether they're hunted or not?

redfan
03-28-2021, 08:48 AM
Aw yeah, rug steaks for everybody!!

Discuss Thrower
03-28-2021, 08:53 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yMlKJGKyoCo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bwana
03-28-2021, 10:26 AM
Wouldn't grizzlies pretty much not have fear of anything regardless of whether they're hunted or not?

Anything has fear if it's hunted and shot at. The bears are on the "I don't give a crap" program right now.

Like I said, anytime a bear hears a shot and runs toward it, shit is out of balance and God help you if you're forced to shot one. Every time that happens, there is a lengthy investigation and you're basically guilty, until proven innocent.

lewdog
03-28-2021, 10:55 AM
I probably should give it another try. I ordered it at a place in Custer once. The meat was stringy and tough, and had a weird flavor. I did not care for it. But the restaurant wasn't exactly four stars.

I'm just not a fan of buffaloes in general, particularly live ones. They're big, ugly, smelly and mean, and a serious traffic hazard. Topped a hill in Yellowstone once going about 50 and one of the goddamn things was standing in the middle of the road. Slammed on the brakes and missed it by inches. And they're all over the place in the Black Hills fucking shit up (the Black Hills being my favorite place on earth and a frequent vacation destination). Between them and all the friggin deer the roads can be like an obstacle course. I've never talked to anybody who lives in area that doesn't hate them.

Had they actually been hunted to extinction, I'd really have no problem with it.

I absolutely love bison burgers. We make them a few times a month and they’re great.

Megatron96
03-28-2021, 11:01 AM
Black bear basically tastes like pork. Depending on what they were eating recently, they can be delicious.

Antelope backstraps are food of the Gods.

Bison, properly cooked, is better than beef. Ditto elk.

TLO
03-28-2021, 11:14 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/amplify_video_thumb/1275450222806659073/img/ahxWsIuWcvMQvMsZ.jpg

Hammock Parties
03-28-2021, 11:22 AM
What bear is best?

LiveSteam
03-28-2021, 11:38 AM
A bear naked lady

Frazod
03-28-2021, 02:00 PM
Anything has fear if it's hunted and shot at. The bears are on the "I don't give a crap" program right now.

Like I said, anytime a bear hears a shot and runs toward it, shit is out of balance and God help you if you're forced to shot one. Every time that happens, there is a lengthy investigation and you're basically guilty, until proven innocent.

Yeah, that's crazy. I'm just surprised that an apex predator would ever show fear, but I'll take your word for it. My only experience with bears is zoos and that one time I saw a couple of them about 300 yards distant at Yellowstone.

Sounds like the bears are smarter than the conservationists. Seems like "well, otherwise I would have been eaten" should always be a bulletproof defense.

ghak99
03-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that's crazy. I'm just surprised that an apex predator would ever show fear, but I'll take your word for it. My only experience with bears is zoos and that one time I saw a couple of them about 300 yards distant at Yellowstone.

Sounds like the bears are smarter than the conservationists. Seems like "well, otherwise I would have been eaten" should always be a bulletproof defense.

I've never been in a bear's mind, but I was once crawling down a trail under the scrub oaks while trying to drop into a canyon in order to get in close to a bull elk. Just imagine a tunnel of brush you have to get down and crawl in while packing a bow and listening to a bull bugling his ass off ~150 yards away. I crawled right up to a monstrous pile of bear shit that was still steaming. This apex predator nearly ran over the two guys behind me and didn't even bother explaining why I was crawling over two grown men like an idiot during my about face.

It's been years and I still wonder just how close a bear of that size has to be in order for its shit to still be steaming and just what would have happened had we met head on in that damn tunnel of death.

Frazod
03-28-2021, 02:28 PM
I've never been in a bear's mind, but I was once crawling down a trail under the scrub oaks while trying to drop into a canyon in order to get in close to a bull elk. Just imagine a tunnel of brush you have to get down and crawl in while packing a bow and listening to a bull bugling his ass off ~150 yards away. I crawled right up to a monstrous pile of bear shit that was still steaming. This apex predator nearly ran over the two guys behind me and didn't even bother explaining why I was crawling over two grown men like an idiot during my about face.

It's been years and I still wonder just how close a bear of that size has to be in order for its shit to still be steaming and just what would have happened had we met head on in that damn tunnel of death.

Yeesh. Yeah, I don't think that bow would have done you much good. LMAO

eDave
03-28-2021, 02:45 PM

Had some Buffalo Chili in Colorado and it was read bad.

Peter Gibbons
03-28-2021, 03:00 PM
Is it safe to assume that my severe colorblindness will exonerate me if I shoot a brown bear instead?

Bwana
03-28-2021, 03:34 PM

What gets you in trouble most of the time, is if they don't hear you and you surprise them, or if you get a sow with cubs. I'm not saying they won't hunt you for food, it can happen, but it's pretty rare. They are a lot more predictable than a moose most of the time.

Frazod
03-28-2021, 03:40 PM
What gets you in trouble most of the time, is if they don't hear you and you surprise them, or if you get a sow with cubs. I'm not saying they won't hunt you for food, it can happen, but it's pretty rare. They are a lot more predictable than a moose most of the time.

Do you have moose in your area?

Bearcat
03-28-2021, 04:05 PM
What bear is best?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/f7N0Pe5MA3Ekw" width="480" height="240" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-john-krasinski-jim-halpert-f7N0Pe5MA3Ekw">via GIPHY</a></p>

Bwana
03-28-2021, 04:27 PM
Do you have moose in your area?

We do.

Al Bundy
03-28-2021, 10:04 PM
We do.

I have been around them in Minnesota. They are quit intense.

Marcellus
03-29-2021, 10:15 AM

I live on the southern MO border outside of Joplin, there have been a handful of bear sightings locally the last few years. Usually an adolescent out roaming new territory.

Bwana
03-29-2021, 11:59 AM
I have been around them in Minnesota. They are quit intense.

Yep, if they pin their ears back and or their hair stands up, things are about to get a little western. The ears are the biggest tell on a pissed off moose.

It's about like when a bisons tail goes up, it starts pawing at the ground, or shaking its head, you know there is about to be some great You Tube bison vs tourist video. :doh!: