PDA

View Full Version : Life Young people fear social interaction post Covid

HonestChieffan
03-30-2021, 05:23 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have never felt comfortable interacting with people<a href="https://t.co/qZFD8du1vm">https://t.co/qZFD8du1vm</a></p>&mdash; David Burge (@iowahawkblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1377038013050535937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 30, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have to wonder what is the long term impact of closings, shutdowns, mandates on our youth.

The Franchise
03-30-2021, 05:23 PM
This needed its own thread.

eDave
03-30-2021, 05:25 PM
This is an ill placed thread.

Deberg_1990
03-30-2021, 05:26 PM
All the young spring breakers in Florida say Hi!

displacedinMN
03-30-2021, 05:26 PM
My niece had a baby 10 months ago..and has barely seen any other children

Pablo
03-30-2021, 05:29 PM
Young people are also afraid to look you in the eye or shake your hand or change their own oil!!!

Titty Meat
03-30-2021, 05:30 PM
Young people are fucking pussies

Spott
03-30-2021, 05:31 PM
Probably better for everyone if millennials stay inside. Nobody will miss them.

Third Eye
03-30-2021, 05:31 PM
I would imagine the numbers would look quite similar if this was done pre shutdown.

Chiefspants
03-30-2021, 05:39 PM
I would imagine the numbers would look quite similar if this was done pre shutdown.

100%.

This seems pretty in line with younger people’s thoughts on social interaction in general.

eDave
03-30-2021, 05:43 PM
When I attend one of my gigs they are mainly filled with menials and they just don't care for me. I get disrespected all the time and a lot just don't want to talk to me because I'm a "Boomer", though not quite, and dress in an oxford.

Then they see me with the talent and learn I financed the whole thing for them to be able to even be there, then they change. Then I buy them a drink.

They exist within their own bubble and just don't have any hope of successful bank accounts. And they resent the hell out of those who they think do because somehow we are the reason they don't want to do what we did to get those successful bank accounts.

Hell, I was a Manager Trainee at Blockbuster in my old neighborhood fucking with unrewound tapes and making dick out of college.

mr. tegu
03-30-2021, 05:46 PM
This is likely not a result of COVID and was certainly present in high numbers before it existed.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-30-2021, 05:50 PM

That’s actually Gen Z not millennials

Pablo
03-30-2021, 05:52 PM

Everyone under 40 is a millennial and everyone over 40 is a boomer. Pretty easy to keep straight.

eDave
03-30-2021, 05:56 PM

Everyone worried about menials but Z is the real wave and conservative values ARE NOT an acceptable thing for them.

BWillie
03-30-2021, 05:57 PM

It's almost like millennials stay the same age or something. Any "kid" or or even "young adult" you see is Gen Z not millennial. I think GenZ is as old as 26 years old. Millennials up to 39.

As regards to the article/study, I think that is kind of normal that older people are less fearful of social interaction. I used to have a ton of social anxiety in middle school and early high school. Even in college it was still there. I don't know if grow out of it is the right word but everyday you get more comfortable in your own skin and don't give a shit as much.

Pablo
03-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Pat is a millennial. Brady is a boomer. You do the math.

Titty Meat
03-30-2021, 06:02 PM
When I attend one of my gigs they are mainly filled with menials and they just don't care for me. I get disrespected all the time and a lot just don't want to talk to me because I'm a "Boomer", though not quite, and dress in an oxford.

Then they see me with the talent and learn I financed the whole thing for them to be able to even be there, then they change. Then I buy them a drink.

They exist within their own bubble and just don't have any hope of successful bank accounts. And they resent the hell out of those who they think do because somehow we are the reason they don't want to do what we did to get those successful bank accounts.

Hell, I was a Manager Trainee at Blockbuster in my old neighborhood ****ing with unrewound tapes and making dick out of college.

You sound poor

eDave
03-30-2021, 06:03 PM
You sound poor

Read it again.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-30-2021, 06:04 PM
1995 is last year of millennial

Dayze
03-30-2021, 06:09 PM
We have no less than 3 younger people at my work that, for whatever reason, shortly after being hired, all of a sudden each of them have some sort of 'anxiety' and require some sort of special arrangement; One of them, gets too anxious driving in rush hour, so he has very odd /non-standard hours as the rest of use in a normal 8-5 type environment; he works 4am to like 1pm. And he essentially, requires a list of things he needs to do for the day so when he arrives, he works on that. If there's something not on that list that needs to be done, and he should know by virtue of his position, ....it doesn't get done. Probably making $50k a year ( he's not my direct so I don't know)

another, all of a sudden, has anxiety about being around other people (this was even pre Covid) where she would remote / Google Hangout to a meeting if there were more than 2 or 3 people in the meeting...even though she's in the office.

rush hour guy even has some sort of doctors note from what I've heard....no idea what that means, but other people (including myself) were like "oh cool...so we can work super early and leave early to beat rush hour"?.....and then were told no.

and another on my team, absolutely refuses to communicate in person with anyone; EVERYTHING is done via email. and in my profession, that doesn't cut it. This person was actually let go on Friday because she wasn't doing anything really at all; and she was making $59k

another, was hired as a basically a coordinator to file various paperwork with municipalities, I suspect making around 40k or so; and after about 18 months, he said he was essentially a Project Manager and wanted a raise to note of $80k. and he was definitely NOT doing anything that a normal person would consider PM. He confided in my that he was going to bring it up in his review...and I was like "yeah....I mean, you do what you gotta do but you gotta be careful going in there with some of those requests". Basically, he was so far out of whack with what he was asking they just said "thanks but no thanks" a few weeks after his review.

It's very strange. we've had very poor results with hiring anyone under I'd say 25 yrs old. We have a few, but I'd say we 'hit' on probably only 20%. the rest are just more hassle than they're worth. At my place, our managers don't even want to bother hiring someone under 25; it takes a hard sell to managers when we want to bring someone on after interviewing them .

Titty Meat
03-30-2021, 06:11 PM
Read it again.

nice edit bro

Spott
03-30-2021, 06:13 PM
1995 is last year of millennial

Depends on which one of the charts you look at. The age group I see most often for millennials is born between 1982-2000, although 39 years old seems more like Gen X.

eDave
03-30-2021, 06:18 PM
nice edit bro

Felt like I was repeating myself when what I was saying was right there in the fucking post you don't seem to have read thoroughly.

Spott
03-30-2021, 06:37 PM
Felt like I was repeating myself when what I was saying was right there in the fucking post you don't seem to have read thoroughly.

It’s too bad those little whipper snappers were being disrespectful to you at Blockbuster. I bet those little punks didn’t even rewind the movies when they returned them.

eDave
03-30-2021, 06:39 PM
It’s too bad those little whipper snappers were being disrespectful to you at Blockbuster. I bet those little punks didn’t even rewind the movies when they returned them.

You have issues with comprehension as well. Most menials weren't born when I worked at BB.

Don't stoop to Billay's level. Dude is a turd in every category.

crayzkirk
03-30-2021, 06:41 PM
One of my friends, whom I haven't seen for a year, is forbidden by his daughter to see or associate with anyone who is not vaccinated. The fear is that he is going to get infected and kill his grandchildren and entire family.

eDave
03-30-2021, 06:43 PM
One of my friends, whom I haven't seen for a year, is forbidden by his daughter to see or associate with anyone who is not vaccinated. The fear is that he is going to get infected and kill his grandchildren and entire family.

It's all weird. My crazy ass Trumper parents are like this. Haven't seen them in a year because they won't let any of us near.

Kellerfox
03-30-2021, 06:46 PM
Depends on which one of the charts you look at. The age group I see most often for millennials is born between 1982-2000, although 39 years old seems more like Gen X.

I don’t think 2000 is the most common, but splitting hairs. 1996 and 1998 seem to be most prevalent in online materials, but I’ve listened to multiple social scientists on the topic who are adamant that 1995 is a hard cut off. These distinctions (generational psychology) are important to my line of work.

To be a Millennial, you have to have memories of the pivotal life events for that generations youth. That is Y2K, 9-11, and entering the job marketing during the Great Recession. Millenials also remember dial up internet and a time before cell phones. Lasting memories don’t start until age 5, so, To have those experiences, you would have to have been born in 1995 or before. Those born in 2000 don’t share in those key memories that define the generation.

Gen Alpha is ages 0-10
Gen Z is ages 11-25
Gen Y (Millenials) are 26-40
Gen X (Latchkey Kids) are 41-60
Boomers are 61-80
Silent Generation are 81-95
Greatest Generation are 96-115

To your point though, “gapers” are a real thing for all generations. An “old” Millenial born in 1980 has more in common with a Gen Xer born in 1978 than they do with a “young” Millenial born in 1995. Meanwhile, that “young” Millenial probably has more in common with a Gen Zer born in 1999. Generation labels are merely an artificial construct used to define groups of people based on common life experiences which may or may not define their world views.

Titty Meat
03-30-2021, 06:47 PM
You have issues with comprehension as well. Most menials weren't born when I worked at BB.

Someone forgot their bipolar medication today

Spott
03-30-2021, 06:47 PM

I don’t think you fully comprehended my sarcasm. :)

I wouldn’t be buying the “menials” drinks, especially after they dissed your vintage Gen X Oxford.

eDave
03-30-2021, 06:52 PM
I don’t think you fully comprehended my sarcasm. :)

I wouldn’t be buying the “menials” drinks, especially after they dissed your vintage Gen X Oxford.

Buying drinks is more of a habit. Perhaps a luxury. And they don't specifically diss my attire. It's just that my attire pronounces age.

I've had compliments on shirts though as they are real nice.

eDave
03-30-2021, 06:53 PM
Someone forgot their bipolar medication today

You are too cowardly to kill yourself. Prove me wrong.

Chiefshrink
03-30-2021, 07:03 PM
Everyone under 40 is a millennial and everyone over 40 is a boomer. Pretty easy to keep straight.

The breakdown by age looks like this:
Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. They're currently between 57-75 years old (71.6 million in the U.S.)
Gen X: Gen X was born between 1965 and 1979/80 and is currently between 41-56 years old (65.2 million people in the U.S.)
Gen Y: Gen Y, or Millennials, were born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years old (72.1 million in the U.S.)
Gen Y.1 = 25-29 years old (around 31 million people in the U.S.)
Gen Y.2 = 29-39 (around 42 million people in the U.S.)
Gen Z: Gen Z is the newest generation, born between 1997 and 2012/15. They are currently between 6 and 24 years old (nearly 68 million in the U.S.)

The term “Millennial” has become the popular way to reference both segments of Gen Y (more on Y.1 and Y.2 below).
And as for “Zillennials,” those wedged at the tail end of Millennials and the start of Gen Z are sometimes labeled with this moniker — a group made up of people born between 1994 and the year 2000.
Realistically, the name Generation Z is a placeholder for the youngest people on the planet. It’s likely to morph as they leave adolescence and mature into their adult identities.

Why are generations named after letters?

It started with Generation X, people born between 1965-1980. The preceding generation was the Baby Boomers, born 1946-1964. Post World War II, Americans enjoyed new-found prosperity, which resulted in a "baby boom." The children born as a result were dubbed the Baby Boomers.
But the generation that followed the Boomers didn’t have a blatant cultural identifier. In fact, that’s the anecdotal origin of the term Gen X — illustrating the undetermined characteristics they would come to be known by. Depending on whom you ask, it was either sociologists, a novelist, or Billy Idol who cemented this phrase in our vocabulary.

From there on it was all down-alphabet. The generation following Gen X naturally became Gen Y, born 1981-1996 (give or take a few years on either end). The term “Millennial” is widely credited to Neil Howe, along with William Strauss. The pair coined the term in 1989 when the impending turn of the millennium began to feature heavily in the cultural consciousness.
Generation Z refers to babies born from the late 90s through today. A flurry of potential labels has also appeared, including Gen Tech, post-Millennials, iGeneration, Gen Y-Fi, and Zoomers.

Splitting up Gen Y

Javelin Research noticed that not all Millennials are currently in the same stage of life. While all Millennials were born around the turn of the century, some of them are still in early adulthood, wrestling with new careers and settling down, while the older Millennials have a home and are building a family. You can imagine how having a child might change your interests and priorities, so for marketing purposes, it's useful to split this generation into Gen Y.1 and Gen Y.2.
Not only are the two groups culturally different, but they’re in vastly different phases of their financial life. The younger group are just now flexing their buying power. The latter group has a more extensive history and may be refinancing their mortgage and raising children. The contrast in priorities and needs is stark.
The same logic can be applied to any generation that is in this stage of life or younger. As we get older, we tend to homogenize and face similar life issues. The younger we are, the more dramatic each stage of life is. Consider the difference between someone in elementary school and high school. While they might be the same generation, they have very different views and needs.
Marketing to young generations as a single cohort will not be nearly as effective as segmenting your strategy and messaging.

Why are generation cohort names important?
Each generation label serves as a short-hand to reference nearly 20 years of attitude, motivations, and historical events. Few individuals self-identify as Gen X, Millennial, or any other name.

They’re useful terms for marketers and tend to trickle down into common usage. Again, it’s important to emphasize that referring to a cohort only by the age range gets complicated quickly. Ten years from now, the priorities of Millennials will have changed — and marketing tactics must adjust instep. There are also other categories of cohorts you can use to better understand consumers going beyond age or generation..

Remember, these arbitrary generational cutoff points are just that. They aren’t an exact science, and are continually evolving.
Whatever terminology or grouping you use, the goal is to reach people with marketing messages relevant to their phase of life. In short, no matter how many letters get added to the alphabet soup, the most important thing you can do is seek to understand the soup du jour for the type of consumer you want to attract.

What makes each generation different?
Before we dive into each generation, remember that the exact years born are in dispute, because there are no comparably definitive thresholds by which the later generations (after Boomers) are defined. But this should give you a general range to help identify what generation you belong in.

The other fact to remember is that new technology is typically first adopted by the youngest generation and then is gradually adopted by the older generations. As an example, 96% of Americans have a smartphone, but Gen Z (the youngest generation) is the highest user.

The Baby Boomer Generation
Baby Boomer
Boomer Birth Years: 1946 to 1964
Current Age: 57 to 75
Generation Size: 71.6 million

Media Consumption: Baby boomers are the biggest consumers of traditional media like television, radio, magazines, and newspaper. Despite being so traditional, 90% of baby boomers have a Facebook account. This generation has begun to adopt more technology in order to stay in touch with family members and reconnect with old friends.

Banking Habits: Boomers prefer to go into a branch to perform transactions. This generational cohort still prefers to use cash, especially for purchases under $5.
Shaping Events: Post-WWII optimism, the cold war, and the hippie movement.
What's next on their financial horizon: This generation is experiencing the highest growth in student loan debt. While this might seem counterintuitive, it can be explained by the fact that this generation has the most wealth and is looking to help their children with their student debt. They have a belief that you should take care of your children enough to set them on the right course and don't plan on leaving any inheritance. With more Americans outliving their retirement fund, declining pensions, and social security in jeopardy, ensuring you can successfully fund retirement is a major concern for Boomers.

Generation X
GenX
Gen X Birth Years: 1965 to 1979/80
Current Age: 41 to 56
Other Nicknames: "Latchkey" generation, MTV generation
Generation Size: 65.2 million
Media Consumption: Gen X still reads newspapers, magazines, listens to the radio, and watches TV (about 165 hours' worth of TV a month). However, they are also digitally savvy and spend roughly 7 hours a week on Facebook (the highest of any generational cohort).

Banking Habits: Since they are digitally savvy, Gen X will do some research and financial management online, but still prefer to do transactions in person. They believe banking is a person-to-person business and demonstrate brand loyalty.
Shaping Events: End of the cold war, the rise of personal computing, and feeling lost between the two huge generations.

What's next on Gen X's financial horizon: Gen X is trying to raise a family, pay off student debt, and take care of aging parents. These demands put a high strain on their resources. The average Gen Xer carries $142,000 in debt, though most of this is in their mortgage. They are looking to reduce their debt while building a stable saving plan for the future.

Millennials (Gen Y)
Millennail Gen Y
Millennial Birth Years: 1981 to 1994/6
Current Age: 25 to 40
Other Nicknames: Gen Y, Gen Me, Gen We, Echo Boomers
Generation Size: 72.1 million

Media Consumption: 95% still watch TV, but Netflix edges out traditional cable as the preferred provider. Cord-cutting in favor of streaming services is the popular choice. This generation is extremely comfortable with mobile devices, but 32% will still use a computer for purchases. They typically have multiple social media accounts.

Banking Habits: Millennials have less brand loyalty than previous generations. They prefer to shop product and features first, and have little patience for inefficient or poor service. Because of this, Millennials place their trust in brands with superior product history such as Apple and Google. They seek digital tools to help manage their debt and see their banks as transactional as opposed to relational.

Shaping Events: The Great Recession, the technological explosion of the internet and social media, and 9/11
What's next on their financial horizon: Millennials are powering the workforce, but with huge amounts of student debt. This is delaying major purchases like weddings and homes. Because of this financial instability, Millennials choose access over ownership, which can be seen through their preference for on-demand services. They want partners that will help guide them to their big purchases.

Gen Z
GenZ
Gen Z Birth Years: 1997 to 2012/15
Currently Aged: 6 to 24
Other Nicknames: iGeneration, Post-millennials, Homeland Generation
Generation Size: 68 million

Media Consumption: The average Gen Zer received their first mobile phone at age 10.3 years. Many of them grew up playing with their parents' mobile phones or tablets. They have grown up in a hyper-connected world and the smartphone is their preferred method of communication. On average, they spend 3 hours a day on their mobile device.

Banking Habits: This generation has seen the struggle of Millennials and has adopted a more fiscally conservative approach. They want to avoid debt and appreciate accounts or services that aid in that endeavor. Debit cards top their priority list, followed by mobile banking.
Shaping Events: Smartphones, social media, never knowing a country not at war, and seeing the financial struggles of their parents (Gen X).

What's next on Gen Z's financial horizon: Learning about personal finance. They have a strong appetite for financial education and are opening savings accounts at younger ages than prior generations.
If you want to know more about Gen Z, check out this deep dive into their media consumption and banking habits.

Do generations use technology differently?
Younger generations have often led older Americans in their adoption and use of technology, and this largely holds true today.
Although Baby Boomers may trail Gen X and Millennials on native technology usage, the rate at which Boomers expand their use of technology is accelerated.
In fact, Boomers are far more likely to own a smartphone than they were in 2011 (68% in 2019 vs. 25% then).

Are generations the best way to categorize consumer behavior?
Knowing generational trends is important, as they can unveil similar attitudes and behaviors among consumers who experienced world events at the same life stage as their cohorts. And it doesn’t hurt to understand these age groups since marketing tools and audience segmentations generally include age as a factor.
But the generations don’t tell the whole story and their behaviors can be hard to lock down. After all, every generation grows up. So. can you rely on age ranges alone? Here's what we think.

Do generations bank differently?
Absolutely, and for several reasons.
Each generation has been in the workforce for different lengths of time and accumulated varying degrees of wealth.

Baby Boomers have an average net worth of $1,066,000 and a median net worth of $224,000.

Gen Xers average net worth is around $288,700, but the median is $59,800.

Millennials have an average net worth around $76,200, but their median net worth is only $11,100.

Gen Z's average net worth is difficult to report on since so much of the generation has no net worth or career as of yet.

Each generation is preparing and saving for different life stages; be that retirement, children's college tuition, or buying a first car.
Each generation grew up in evolving technological worlds and has unique preferences in regard to managing financial relationships.
Each generation grew up in different financial climates, which has informed their financial attitudes and opinions of institutions. However, in the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has become the great equalizer, as all generations have had to adapt to a new way of banking and living.

How are these banking differences appearing in the marketplace?
Ease of use vs. personal service.
If you think bots are taking over the world, you might be right. But for Millennial and Gen Z consumers, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, according to a recent Adobe Analytics study, 44% of Gen Z and 31% of Millennials have used a banking chatbot to answer their questions. And before you think that must be a terrible user experience, over half of both groups who actually used a chatbot said the experience was better than talking to a real person.

However, for more complicated banking tasks, even the younger generations prefer the added assistance of a human representative.
Security still comes first, always. But each generation has their own priorities.
When choosing a new place to bank, “security” was the top-rated concern across Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Boomers. “Reputation” (also known as your brand) finished second for both Gen Z and Millennial consumers.
However, for Gen Z and Boomer consumers, branch locations was the second most popular result, with “reputation” close behind. Younger consumers still care about branch locations, but weight it around the same level as an institution’s digital and app services.

For Generation X, digital and app services were edged out by in-person support. For Baby Boomers, banking local was more important.4 However, before you write off the importance of your online and mobile banking for these consumers…
Technology isn’t just for younger generations anymore.
The trend has long been for each new generation to adopt digital and mobile banking services more readily. But the COVID-19 pandemic has turned on a new wave of late-adopters who now bank digitally, too.

According to a recent Zelle survey, now 82% of seniors age 55+ are banking online more frequently — with 61% and 55% turning to social media and mobile banking more frequently too.5
That lines up closely with the start of the Baby Boomer demographic (currently ages 57 to 75). And while only time will tell how lasting this shift to digital tools and services will be, the more positive your digital experience, the more likely you are to extend your digital reach with this generation.
Today, older generations are behaving more like younger generations. And if you want to succeed in tomorrow’s market, you already need to meet these younger generations where they are. Now is the time to extend your brand of great service beyond the branch.

KCUnited
03-30-2021, 07:15 PM
Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. They're currently between 57-75 years old (71.6 million in the U.S.)
Gen X: Gen X was born between 1965 and 1979/80 and is currently between 41-56 years old (65.2 million people in the U.S.)
Gen Y: Gen Y, or Millennials, were born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years old (72.1 million in the U.S.)
Gen Z: Gen Z is the newest generation, born between 1997 and 2012/15. They are currently between 6 and 24 years old (nearly 68 million in the U.S.)

The term “Millennial” has become the popular way to reference both segments of Gen Y (more on Y.1 and Y.2 below).
And as for “Zillennials,” those wedged at the tail end of Millennials and the start of Gen Z are sometimes labeled with this moniker — a group made up of people born between 1994 and the year 2000.
Realistically, the name Generation Z is a placeholder for the youngest people on the planet. It’s likely to morph as they leave adolescence and mature into their adult identities.

It started with Generation X, people born between 1965-1980. The preceding generation was the Baby Boomers, born 1946-1964. Post World War II, Americans enjoyed new-found prosperity, which resulted in a "baby boom." The children born as a result were dubbed the Baby Boomers.
But the generation that followed the Boomers didn’t have a blatant cultural identifier. In fact, that’s the anecdotal origin of the term Gen X — illustrating the undetermined characteristics they would come to be known by. Depending on whom you ask, it was either sociologists, a novelist, or Billy Idol who cemented this phrase in our vocabulary.

From there on it was all down-alphabet. The generation following Gen X naturally became Gen Y, born 1981-1996 (give or take a few years on either end). The term “Millennial” is widely credited to Neil Howe, along with William Strauss. The pair coined the term in 1989 when the impending turn of the millennium began to feature heavily in the cultural consciousness.
Generation Z refers to babies born from the late 90s through today. A flurry of potential labels has also appeared, including Gen Tech, post-Millennials, iGeneration, Gen Y-Fi, and Zoomers.

Splitting up Gen Y

Javelin Research noticed that not all Millennials are currently in the same stage of life. While all Millennials were born around the turn of the century, some of them are still in early adulthood, wrestling with new careers and settling down, while the older Millennials have a home and are building a family. You can imagine how having a child might change your interests and priorities, so for marketing purposes, it's useful to split this generation into Gen Y.1 and Gen Y.2.
Not only are the two groups culturally different, but they’re in vastly different phases of their financial life. The younger group are just now flexing their buying power. The latter group has a more extensive history and may be refinancing their mortgage and raising children. The contrast in priorities and needs is stark.
The same logic can be applied to any generation that is in this stage of life or younger. As we get older, we tend to homogenize and face similar life issues. The younger we are, the more dramatic each stage of life is. Consider the difference between someone in elementary school and high school. While they might be the same generation, they have very different views and needs.
Marketing to young generations as a single cohort will not be nearly as effective as segmenting your strategy and messaging.

Each generation label serves as a short-hand to reference nearly 20 years of attitude, motivations, and historical events. Few individuals self-identify as Gen X, Millennial, or any other name.

They’re useful terms for marketers and tend to trickle down into common usage. Again, it’s important to emphasize that referring to a cohort only by the age range gets complicated quickly. Ten years from now, the priorities of Millennials will have changed — and marketing tactics must adjust instep. There are also other categories of cohorts you can use to better understand consumers going beyond age or generation..

Remember, these arbitrary generational cutoff points are just that. They aren’t an exact science, and are continually evolving.
Whatever terminology or grouping you use, the goal is to reach people with marketing messages relevant to their phase of life. In short, no matter how many letters get added to the alphabet soup, the most important thing you can do is seek to understand the soup du jour for the type of consumer you want to attract.

Before we dive into each generation, remember that the exact years born are in dispute, because there are no comparably definitive thresholds by which the later generations (after Boomers) are defined. But this should give you a general range to help identify what generation you belong in.

The other fact to remember is that new technology is typically first adopted by the youngest generation and then is gradually adopted by the older generations. As an example, 96% of Americans have a smartphone, but Gen Z (the youngest generation) is the highest user.

Baby Boomer

Media Consumption: Baby boomers are the biggest consumers of traditional media like television, radio, magazines, and newspaper. Despite being so traditional, 90% of baby boomers have a Facebook account. This generation has begun to adopt more technology in order to stay in touch with family members and reconnect with old friends.

Banking Habits: Boomers prefer to go into a branch to perform transactions. This generational cohort still prefers to use cash, especially for purchases under $5.
What's next on their financial horizon: This generation is experiencing the highest growth in student loan debt. While this might seem counterintuitive, it can be explained by the fact that this generation has the most wealth and is looking to help their children with their student debt. They have a belief that you should take care of your children enough to set them on the right course and don't plan on leaving any inheritance. With more Americans outliving their retirement fund, declining pensions, and social security in jeopardy, ensuring you can successfully fund retirement is a major concern for Boomers.

Generation X
GenX
Media Consumption: Gen X still reads newspapers, magazines, listens to the radio, and watches TV (about 165 hours' worth of TV a month). However, they are also digitally savvy and spend roughly 7 hours a week on Facebook (the highest of any generational cohort).

Banking Habits: Since they are digitally savvy, Gen X will do some research and financial management online, but still prefer to do transactions in person. They believe banking is a person-to-person business and demonstrate brand loyalty.
Shaping Events: End of the cold war, the rise of personal computing, and feeling lost between the two huge generations.

What's next on Gen X's financial horizon: Gen X is trying to raise a family, pay off student debt, and take care of aging parents. These demands put a high strain on their resources. The average Gen Xer carries $142,000 in debt, though most of this is in their mortgage. They are looking to reduce their debt while building a stable saving plan for the future.

Millennials (Gen Y)
Millennail Gen Y

Media Consumption: 95% still watch TV, but Netflix edges out traditional cable as the preferred provider. Cord-cutting in favor of streaming services is the popular choice. This generation is extremely comfortable with mobile devices, but 32% will still use a computer for purchases. They typically have multiple social media accounts.

Banking Habits: Millennials have less brand loyalty than previous generations. They prefer to shop product and features first, and have little patience for inefficient or poor service. Because of this, Millennials place their trust in brands with superior product history such as Apple and Google. They seek digital tools to help manage their debt and see their banks as transactional as opposed to relational.

Shaping Events: The Great Recession, the technological explosion of the internet and social media, and 9/11
What's next on their financial horizon: Millennials are powering the workforce, but with huge amounts of student debt. This is delaying major purchases like weddings and homes. Because of this financial instability, Millennials choose access over ownership, which can be seen through their preference for on-demand services. They want partners that will help guide them to their big purchases.

Gen Z
GenZ

Media Consumption: The average Gen Zer received their first mobile phone at age 10.3 years. Many of them grew up playing with their parents' mobile phones or tablets. They have grown up in a hyper-connected world and the smartphone is their preferred method of communication. On average, they spend 3 hours a day on their mobile device.

Banking Habits: This generation has seen the struggle of Millennials and has adopted a more fiscally conservative approach. They want to avoid debt and appreciate accounts or services that aid in that endeavor. Debit cards top their priority list, followed by mobile banking.
Shaping Events: Smartphones, social media, never knowing a country not at war, and seeing the financial struggles of their parents (Gen X).

What's next on Gen Z's financial horizon: Learning about personal finance. They have a strong appetite for financial education and are opening savings accounts at younger ages than prior generations.
If you want to know more about Gen Z, check out this deep dive into their media consumption and banking habits.

Younger generations have often led older Americans in their adoption and use of technology, and this largely holds true today.
Although Baby Boomers may trail Gen X and Millennials on native technology usage, the rate at which Boomers expand their use of technology is accelerated.
In fact, Boomers are far more likely to own a smartphone than they were in 2011 (68% in 2019 vs. 25% then).

Knowing generational trends is important, as they can unveil similar attitudes and behaviors among consumers who experienced world events at the same life stage as their cohorts. And it doesn’t hurt to understand these age groups since marketing tools and audience segmentations generally include age as a factor.
But the generations don’t tell the whole story and their behaviors can be hard to lock down. After all, every generation grows up. So. can you rely on age ranges alone? Here's what we think.

Each generation has been in the workforce for different lengths of time and accumulated varying degrees of wealth.

Baby Boomers have an average net worth of $1,066,000 and a median net worth of $224,000.

Millennials have an average net worth around $76,200, but their median net worth is only $11,100.

Gen Z's average net worth is difficult to report on since so much of the generation has no net worth or career as of yet.

Each generation is preparing and saving for different life stages; be that retirement, children's college tuition, or buying a first car.
Each generation grew up in evolving technological worlds and has unique preferences in regard to managing financial relationships.
Each generation grew up in different financial climates, which has informed their financial attitudes and opinions of institutions. However, in the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has become the great equalizer, as all generations have had to adapt to a new way of banking and living.

If you think bots are taking over the world, you might be right. But for Millennial and Gen Z consumers, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, according to a recent Adobe Analytics study, 44% of Gen Z and 31% of Millennials have used a banking chatbot to answer their questions. And before you think that must be a terrible user experience, over half of both groups who actually used a chatbot said the experience was better than talking to a real person.

However, for more complicated banking tasks, even the younger generations prefer the added assistance of a human representative.
Security still comes first, always. But each generation has their own priorities.
When choosing a new place to bank, “security” was the top-rated concern across Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Boomers. “Reputation” (also known as your brand) finished second for both Gen Z and Millennial consumers.
However, for Gen Z and Boomer consumers, branch locations was the second most popular result, with “reputation” close behind. Younger consumers still care about branch locations, but weight it around the same level as an institution’s digital and app services.

For Generation X, digital and app services were edged out by in-person support. For Baby Boomers, banking local was more important.4 However, before you write off the importance of your online and mobile banking for these consumers…
The trend has long been for each new generation to adopt digital and mobile banking services more readily. But the COVID-19 pandemic has turned on a new wave of late-adopters who now bank digitally, too.

According to a recent Zelle survey, now 82% of seniors age 55+ are banking online more frequently — with 61% and 55% turning to social media and mobile banking more frequently too.5
That lines up closely with the start of the Baby Boomer demographic (currently ages 57 to 75). And while only time will tell how lasting this shift to digital tools and services will be, the more positive your digital experience, the more likely you are to extend your digital reach with this generation.
Today, older generations are behaving more like younger generations. And if you want to succeed in tomorrow’s market, you already need to meet these younger generations where they are. Now is the time to extend your brand of great service beyond the branch.
https://i.imgur.com/zlv8xX9.gif

TLO
03-30-2021, 07:16 PM

Splitting up Gen Y

Baby Boomer

Generation X
GenX

Millennials (Gen Y)
Millennail Gen Y

Gen Z
GenZ

Thank you

Chiefshrink
03-30-2021, 07:18 PM
Thank you

You are welcome !!:thumb:

Bob Dole
03-30-2021, 07:23 PM
So the brainwashed masses fell for more brainwashing. Shocking.

LoneWolf
03-30-2021, 07:27 PM

Brady is a boomer?

Spott
03-30-2021, 07:30 PM
Brady is a boomer?

Well, it does feel like he’s been playing since WWII.

eDave
03-30-2021, 07:32 PM
It's all a state of mind, man.

displacedinMN
03-30-2021, 07:35 PM
I identify as a greatest generationer

Spott
03-30-2021, 07:38 PM
It's all a state of mind, man.

Only a boomer would say that. LMAO

eDave
03-30-2021, 07:41 PM
Only a boomer would say that. LMAO

Gen X, bub. Probably till the day I die.

Fish
03-30-2021, 07:42 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7VnAB6a.png

Chief Roundup
03-30-2021, 07:45 PM
Seriously, what are they not afraid of when compared to prior generations?

RealSNR
03-30-2021, 07:46 PM
Gen X, bub. Probably till the day I die.

Well, yeah. Because you can't change when you were born.

cosmo20002
03-30-2021, 07:47 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have never felt comfortable interacting with people<a href="https://t.co/qZFD8du1vm">https://t.co/qZFD8du1vm</a></p>&mdash; David Burge (@iowahawkblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1377038013050535937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 30, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have to wonder what is the long term impact of closings, shutdowns, mandates on our youth.

Old people crabbing about young people.

That's new.

Old people with tens of thousands of posts on message board talking about people fearing social interaction.

Neat.

eDave
03-30-2021, 07:49 PM

Check the brains on this guy.

Chief Roundup
03-30-2021, 07:50 PM
Old people crabbing about young people.

That's new.

Old people with tens of thousands of posts on message board talking about people fearing social interaction.

Neat.

Independence vs interdependence is a problem within our society. There needs to be more interdependence.

eDave
03-30-2021, 07:51 PM
You spelled intelligence wrong.

displacedinMN
03-30-2021, 08:22 PM

Your birthday is the 9 month anniversary of your parents having sex...

jd1020
03-30-2021, 08:51 PM
I imagine a lot of young people fear social interaction regardless of covid. It's not uncommon to go out to eat these days and see a whole table just staring at their fucking phones probably texting each other to avoid talking.

BWillie
03-30-2021, 08:52 PM

Lol Brady is a Gen X. Not even close to a boomer. Pat is either a really old Gen Z or a really young Millennial

Fat Elvis
03-30-2021, 09:03 PM
I'm sure this never occurred to some of you old people, but maybe, just maybe...you aren't nearly as interesting as you think you are, and young people just don't want to listen to your shit.

https://www.goldderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Cover.jpg

loochy
03-30-2021, 09:08 PM
Bunch of fags

BigRedChief
03-30-2021, 09:35 PM
I’m Vaccinated now. I still don’t want some of you ****ers near me.

lewdog
03-30-2021, 09:39 PM
Only social interaction I'm fearing is the one I have to have with all those Boomers just leeching off the system.

Dunerdr
03-31-2021, 02:45 AM
To be fair, this is probably just a minority of young people who are virtue signaling on fucking twitter. Spring break and the local college campus sure leads me to believe this is untrue.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2021, 02:55 AM

Hellfire, brimstone, the afterlife. Basically anything that is make believe.

Mahomes_Is_God
03-31-2021, 03:17 AM
The penis shrinkage news is relevant in this thread. The decline of men leads to the decline of civilization. We're doomed.

RealSNR
03-31-2021, 05:51 AM
Check the brains on this guy.

Hey, you're the one who said you're Gen X "probably until the day I die"

RealSNR
03-31-2021, 05:59 AM
Why doesn't San Francisco's starting QB know the difference between a depository and a suppository?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4BUUgoIR14o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rainbarrel
03-31-2021, 06:50 AM
The sheep are nervous again.

RealSNR
03-31-2021, 06:54 AM
The sheep are nervous again.

https://lolpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/1601150833209.jpeg

ChiliConCarnage
03-31-2021, 06:56 AM
We sign any young, socially anxious pieces of shit yet?

Saulbadguy
03-31-2021, 06:58 AM

https://bunny.teeshirt21.com/2017/11/09/m_33503-1510246155562-Gildan-Men-Black-_w91_-front.jpg

stevieray
03-31-2021, 07:23 AM
Awesome!

The age discrimination in the thread is the cherry on top.

scho63
03-31-2021, 07:57 AM
I think this story was written just for OaktardHater

AdolfOliverBush
03-31-2021, 08:04 AM
https://bunny.teeshirt21.com/2017/11/09/m_33503-1510246155562-Gildan-Men-Black-_w91_-front.jpg

LMAO Why not just wear a shirt that says "Live, Laugh Love"?

htismaqe
03-31-2021, 08:25 AM
Um, they were scared of other people BEFORE COVID.

htismaqe
03-31-2021, 08:28 AM
I'm sure this never occurred to some of you old people, but maybe, just maybe...you aren't nearly as interesting as you think you are, and young people just don't want to listen to your shit.

https://www.goldderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Cover.jpg

I do a lot of volunteer work with youth my kids' age, so 15-20.

To say that they don't want to interact with old people only is patently false. They don't want to interact with EACH OTHER. They'd rather sit on an electronic device and pretend the real world doesn't exist most of the time.

A good 60% of the kids I spend time with over the age of 16 don't even have a driver's license and are literally scared to get behind the wheel.

AdolfOliverBush
03-31-2021, 08:37 AM
They may fear social interaction now, but they'll get over that as they age, and eventually come to despise social interaction like normal people. LMAO

htismaqe
03-31-2021, 08:39 AM
They may fear social interaction now, but they'll get over that as they age, and eventually come to despise social interaction like normal people. LMAO

ROFL

So true.

My daughter has a t-shirt that says "I practiced social distancing before it was cool" and I have one that says "I practice antisocial distancing".

stevieray
03-31-2021, 08:43 AM
I'm sure this never occurred to some of you old people

^think's he's not old^

these are my favs.

Rainbarrel
03-31-2021, 09:00 AM

I chose a bad time to invest in prophylactic machines.

notorious
03-31-2021, 09:51 AM
It’s not that way out here. Kids are great, and work hard, too.

Grade school functions are mixed with high school, and the older kids do great with the younger kids.

Maybe that’s the difference between and rural, ag-based economy and a city economy.

rabblerouser
03-31-2021, 10:10 AM
Good. Tell them to stay the fuck home.

ChiefBlueCFC
03-31-2021, 11:01 AM
Rabble rabble rabble rabble the younger generation is ruining rabble rabble rabble rabble kids don't respect old fuckers rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

stevieray
03-31-2021, 11:04 AM
Rabble rabble rabble rabble the younger generation is ruining rabble rabble rabble rabble kids don't respect old ****ers rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

^deflection^

mililo4cpa
03-31-2021, 11:13 AM
I just want to know what the next Generation is going to be called. Is it like an Excel Spreadsheet, and starts with "AA" after "Z"?

Oh yeah, and who names these things? not very creative....

Titty Meat
03-31-2021, 11:16 AM
Awesome!

The age discrimination in the thread is the cherry on top.

Can it old man

stevieray
03-31-2021, 11:17 AM
Can it old man

try harder.

Titty Meat
03-31-2021, 11:18 AM
try harder.

You need a pill to do that boomer

stevieray
03-31-2021, 11:20 AM
You need a pill to do that boomer

^scrub^

bdj23
03-31-2021, 11:24 AM

You're thinking zoomers, technically I'm a millennial.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2021, 11:52 AM

Grade school functions are mixed with high school, and the older kids do great with the younger kids.

Maybe that’s the difference between and rural, ag-based economy and a city economy.

They are working hard because they want to get the hell out of BFE.

RealSNR
03-31-2021, 11:54 AM
I just want to know what the next Generation is going to be called. Is it like an Excel Spreadsheet, and starts with "AA" after "Z"?

Oh yeah, and who names these things? not very creative....

Generation Aardvark

CoMoChief
03-31-2021, 12:02 PM
Half of the people under 25 don't even know how to interact with people in general.

Way to balls deep in their phones.

Skyy God
03-31-2021, 12:54 PM
Old man yells at cloud.jpg

Rausch
03-31-2021, 12:56 PM
Young people are ignorant about a lot of things. That's natural.

The media overblows EVERYTHING. Unfortunately also normal.

But perhaps stupid will actually prevent STD's for once...

ThaVirus
03-31-2021, 01:20 PM

Lol

Add to this anyone who refers to themselves as an alpha male. No, you're just a dipshit.

ThaVirus
03-31-2021, 01:23 PM
I'm sensing a lot of selection bias in this thread. Probably a lot of confirmation bias as well.

Eureka
03-31-2021, 01:27 PM

Had a soon last August. Last weekend he was finally around other children ages 3 and 6 but couldn't get close/touch. I was sort of relieved when he was constantly watching them and then laughing at what they were doing. I hope to soon get him around other kids as he has technically been hibernating since being born. Now that I think about it he has never been to a restaurant or grocery store etc. Only grandparents house and nothing public. I want to change that asap.

We have no less than 3 younger people at my work that, for whatever reason, shortly after being hired, all of a sudden each of them have some sort of 'anxiety' and require some sort of special arrangement; One of them, gets too anxious driving in rush hour, so he has very odd /non-standard hours as the rest of use in a normal 8-5 type environment; he works 4am to like 1pm. And he essentially, requires a list of things he needs to do for the day so when he arrives, he works on that. If there's something not on that list that needs to be done, and he should know by virtue of his position, ....it doesn't get done. Probably making $50k a year ( he's not my direct so I don't know)

another, all of a sudden, has anxiety about being around other people (this was even pre Covid) where she would remote / Google Hangout to a meeting if there were more than 2 or 3 people in the meeting...even though she's in the office.

rush hour guy even has some sort of doctors note from what I've heard....no idea what that means, but other people (including myself) were like "oh cool...so we can work super early and leave early to beat rush hour"?.....and then were told no.

and another on my team, absolutely refuses to communicate in person with anyone; EVERYTHING is done via email. and in my profession, that doesn't cut it. This person was actually let go on Friday because she wasn't doing anything really at all; and she was making $59k

another, was hired as a basically a coordinator to file various paperwork with municipalities, I suspect making around 40k or so; and after about 18 months, he said he was essentially a Project Manager and wanted a raise to note of $80k. and he was definitely NOT doing anything that a normal person would consider PM. He confided in my that he was going to bring it up in his review...and I was like "yeah....I mean, you do what you gotta do but you gotta be careful going in there with some of those requests". Basically, he was so far out of whack with what he was asking they just said "thanks but no thanks" a few weeks after his review.

It's very strange. we've had very poor results with hiring anyone under I'd say 25 yrs old. We have a few, but I'd say we 'hit' on probably only 20%. the rest are just more hassle than they're worth. At my place, our managers don't even want to bother hiring someone under 25; it takes a hard sell to managers when we want to bring someone on after interviewing them .

The building I work in has lots of younger workers here. Most of them seem outgoing and are talkative to me as it is sort of my job to know who's in the building. But there are a few who seem quite and only converse with me when needed so I can def understand your take on this. At least 30%+ seem not adapt at socializing.

AdolfOliverBush
03-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Young people are ignorant about a lot of things. That's natural.

The media overblows EVERYTHING. Unfortunately also normal.

But perhaps stupid will actually prevent STD's for once...

Old people are also ignorant about a lot of things. Age and wisdom do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, and there is a good chance that a 20-year-old dipshit will eventually be a 70-year-old dipshit.

Coach
03-31-2021, 04:59 PM

Fuck yes. I'm a man. I'm 40!

Rausch
03-31-2021, 05:02 PM
Old people are also ignorant about a lot of things. Age and wisdom do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, and there is a good chance that a 20-year-old dipshit will eventually be a 70-year-old dipshit.

All true.

sedated
03-31-2021, 05:09 PM
Same situation, new thing to blame it on.

I thought the problem was social media.

Or video games.

Or rock music.

Or television.

Rausch
03-31-2021, 05:16 PM

Or video games.

Or rock music.

Or television.

Social media made it possible for ALL people to lose their social skills. In those over 30 they eroded when typing became "simpler" - in those under 20 or so they never really developed them because they grew up after the advent of social media...

alanm
03-31-2021, 05:39 PM

Maybe that’s the difference between and rural, ag-based economy and a city economy.Same here. Must be a city thing.

stevieray
03-31-2021, 05:52 PM

Or video games.

Or rock music.

Or television.

Or all of the above.

They don't call them programs for nothing

;)

tredadda
03-31-2021, 06:19 PM

Or video games.

Or rock music.

Or television.

Stupid social media like the Facebook, the Twitter, the YouTube, and the football message boards.

srvy
03-31-2021, 06:28 PM

Hell, I was a Manager Trainee at Blockbuster in my old neighborhood fucking with unrewound tapes and making dick out of college.

When you were their age did you like to hang out with your parents or people of that age group?

Frankly speaking, it seems odd that you want to. But then again performing cunnilingus on your best buddies GF while he is copping zzzzzz's they cant trust to be around you. :p

eDave
03-31-2021, 06:36 PM
When you were their age did you like to hang out with your parents or people of that age group?

Frankly speaking, it seems odd that you want to. But then again performing cunnilingus on your best buddies GF while he is copping zzzzzz's they cant trust to be around you. :p

Because it's a small little business of mine that keeps growing.

dmahurin
03-31-2021, 07:41 PM

displacedinMN
04-02-2021, 08:23 AM

someone downvoted me for this

But the reality is it sucks. If this was normal times, it would not be happening. It sucks.
It will be interesting to see what covid babies will do and be socially when all this is done.