PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Brett Veach explains why Chiefs drafted LB Nick Bolton and Center Creed Humphrey

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2021, 01:34 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZziQiOzWMe0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BossChief
05-01-2021, 02:18 AM
Absolutely sounds like if Marshals medical (a follow up MRI) was in their hands they would have taken him.

He didn’t make him by name, but it seems pretty obvious who he was talking about.

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2021, 02:38 AM
Absolutely sounds like if Marshals medical (a follow up MRI) was in their hands they would have taken him.

He didn’t make him by name, but it seems pretty obvious who he was talking about.

Veach was complimentary about Bolton, but was really talking up Humphrey

TambaBerry
05-01-2021, 02:51 AM
I love listening to veach, seems like the guy really knows his shit

MahomesMagic
05-01-2021, 07:07 AM
Seems like Bolton was a target and they were surprised Creed was even there.

smithandrew051
05-01-2021, 07:09 AM
Not that it matters (it doesn’t), but most are grading these picks between a B- and A-.

Probably fair, but the Humphrey pick looks better with all of our other OL moves.

gonefishin53
05-01-2021, 07:33 AM
I hope I live long enough to see him put on that gold jacket in Canton, Ohio.

Toad
05-01-2021, 07:49 AM

Agreed. Seems like he was referencing Marshall with comment.

oldman
05-01-2021, 08:06 AM
BV doesn't have to explain ANYTHING!! Being a fan for nearly 60 years, I'm glad to sit back and watch the big boys do their thing. No more Todd Blackledge over Marino and Kelly, no more Ethan Hortons, Percy Snows, and Jon Baldwins.

Bowser
05-01-2021, 08:11 AM
I really, really wanted a player like (or exactly) Marshall, but Humphrey might be the guy of this draft that fell for no good reason and in five years we're talking about how amazing it is we got him. Besides, we all watched the Super Bowl and every sports fan everywhere knew what the Chiefs had to do. And cousin, they fucking well did it through the draft and offseason.

TEX
05-01-2021, 08:36 AM
I really, really wanted a player like (or exactly) Marshall, but Humphrey might be the guy of this draft that fell for no good reason and in five years we're talking about how amazing it is we got him. Besides, we all watched the Super Bowl and every sports fan everywhere knew what the Chiefs had to do. And cousin, they ****ing well did it through the draft and offseason.

Completely agree. I was right there with wanting Marshall. However, I knew if we passed at 58 he would not be there at 63. Figured Carolina would grab him b/c of Joe Brady, and they did. Would have loved he and Humphrey. Not sold on Bolton. But what do I know?

TEX
05-01-2021, 08:37 AM
BV doesn't have to explain ANYTHING!! Being a fan for nearly 60 years, I'm glad to sit back and watch the big boys do their thing. No more Todd Blackledge over Marino and Kelly, no more Ethan Hortons, Percy Snows, and Jon Baldwins.

Trezelle Jenkins anyone??? :cuss:

Wallcrawler
05-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Veach is literally pulling off shit you only see against the remedial AI in Madden.

Lets see, Ill give you pick 31 and a 3, you go ahead and give me your STUD 24 year old left tackle, and go ahead and give me your second round pick also.

Its also like he played out the draft without saving, saw all the player ratings, then drafted accordingly.

Throw in the way he molds and re shapes contracts around to pay all these players, its insane. Its literally Madden shit he's pulling in the real world.

Revamped a defense in one offseason and has now literally rebuild an elite O line from the ground up in another.

Best GM I've ever seen by far.

Stryker
05-01-2021, 08:41 AM
I really, really wanted a player like (or exactly) Marshall, but Humphrey might be the guy of this draft that fell for no good reason and in five years we're talking about how amazing it is we got him. Besides, we all watched the Super Bowl and every sports fan everywhere knew what the Chiefs had to do. And cousin, they fucking well did it through the draft and offseason.

Agreed! :thumb:

Coach
05-01-2021, 08:53 AM

I think Humphrey fell because of his measurables (mainly, short arms).

But ironically, in the 2011 NFL Draft, Rodney Hudson was a 2nd rounder and he had short arms, but here we are, 10 years later, he has done well for the Chiefs and the Raiders (before being traded to Arizona).

If you were to compare Hudson and Humphrey's testing numbers, Humphrey arm length is very close to Hudson, but all other measurables exceeds Hudson.

I truly think this one is an excellent pick.

RedinTexas
05-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Trezelle Jenkins anyone??? :cuss:

Junior Siavii

smithandrew051
05-01-2021, 09:06 AM
I wonder if the Reed signing allowed them to pass on Basham?

Maybe having more depth and flexibility along the DL allowed them to focus on LB for an upgrade this year and to have a plan post Hitchens.

staylor26
05-01-2021, 09:10 AM
I wonder if the Reed signing allowed them to pass on Basham?

Maybe having more depth and flexibility along the DL allowed them to focus on LB for an upgrade this year and to have a plan post Hitchens.

Possibly. They can get an edge rusher on day 3 with upside and draft one early next year along with a WR.

smithandrew051
05-01-2021, 09:12 AM
Possibly. They can get an edge rusher on day 3 with upside and draft one early next year along with a WR.

If we move on from Hitchens after this year, that’s a bit of a scary situation. I know he isn’t the best, but the staff seems to really trust him to get everyone lined up as a coach on the field.

Those guys aren’t available in FA often, so it’s probably best to get a guy you trust a year early.

O.city
05-01-2021, 09:13 AM

I think de is a spot you probably just patch up this year and look at early next year.

These late round DEs can be solid but it’s tough for me them to turn into genuine ass kickers there

staylor26
05-01-2021, 09:14 AM
I think de is a spot you probably just patch up this year and look at early next year.

These late round DEs can be solid but it’s tough for me them to turn into genuine ass kickers there

After hitting on Danna, I’d like to see them take another shot at somebody with more upside.

RunKC
05-01-2021, 09:17 AM
After hitting on Danna, I’d like to see them take another shot at somebody with more upside.

Who do you have in mind?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-01-2021, 09:20 AM
What year do we predict Veach gets his gold jacket?

staylor26
05-01-2021, 09:26 AM
Who do you have in mind?

Elerson Smith or one of the FSU/ND guys.

O.city
05-01-2021, 09:31 AM

Danna is a nice find but he’s more rotational depth upside. I think you need someone with higher upside thetr as a cornerstone of clark leaves

staylor26
05-01-2021, 11:57 AM

BOOM

ljmhawk
05-01-2021, 12:01 PM
still need a #2 WR bad….pringle, hardman and robinson aren’t going to cut it.

petegz28
05-01-2021, 12:27 PM
I think Humphrey fell because of his measurables (mainly, short arms).

But ironically, in the 2011 NFL Draft, Rodney Hudson was a 2nd rounder and he had short arms, but here we are, 10 years later, he has done well for the Chiefs and the Raiders (before being traded to Arizona).

If you were to compare Hudson and Humphrey's testing numbers, Humphrey arm length is very close to Hudson, but all other measurables exceeds Hudson.

I truly think this one is an excellent pick.

Sometimes I think the "measureables" can be overrated. Can the kid play or can't he? Can he play at a high level consistently or can't he?

petegz28
05-01-2021, 12:30 PM
still need a #2 WR bad….pringle, hardman and robinson aren’t going to cut it.

I wouldn't sell Hardman short just yet. When Reek and Watkins went down he feasted. I would like to see him get one full season as the #2 from camp on then make the decision.

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2021, 12:42 PM

You nailed it, man. I really wanted smith, but you were right on it!

Chris Meck
05-01-2021, 12:44 PM

Done.

staylor26
05-01-2021, 12:53 PM
Done.

Yup! :thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2021, 01:18 PM
I didn't watch the video yet, but the "why" is pretty easy here. In each case, Beach likely said, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me" when each guy was still on the board at our pick(s).

First round talents at positions of need.

loochy
05-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Junior Siavii

Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson