PDA

View Full Version : Life What's your theory on my name mixups?

Rain Man
05-06-2021, 01:48 PM
Over the course of our lives, we'll regularly encounter people who get our name wrong. It just happens, and it's no big deal.

However, when people forget my name, they disproportionately call me Brian. (Or maybe Bryan, I can't tell.) This is not a coincidence, because it's really disproportionate. We're talking probably 50 percent of the time, when someone gets my name wrong, they call me Brian/Bryan.

There must be a reason for this. What's the reason?

I'll post a few of my theories in a poll, but other theories are welcome. I need to solve this mystery.

Third Eye
05-06-2021, 01:52 PM
In fairness, Brian and Rain have 4 letters in common.

Dunerdr
05-06-2021, 01:53 PM
But Brian/Bryan sound nothing like Rain Man.

RedinTexas
05-06-2021, 01:56 PM
In a former life you were probably known as "Brian of Nazareth." People just "know" who you really are.

htismaqe
05-06-2021, 01:57 PM
It's Brain.

Of course.

digger
05-06-2021, 01:58 PM
When people get my name wrong, they change letters and remove letters. Never been called something totally wrong, because they get parts right... just miss on the whole name...

Zebedee DuBois
05-06-2021, 02:02 PM
Its like calling some women, that have a common personality trait, "Karen".

You remind people of the "Brian/Byron" personality trait.

Beef Supreme
05-06-2021, 02:04 PM
Get a brian, moran.

htismaqe
05-06-2021, 02:09 PM
When people get my name wrong, they change letters and remove letters. Never been called something totally wrong, because they get parts right... just miss on the whole name...

That's what happens with my name.

It's REY, not ERY.

Bearcat
05-06-2021, 02:13 PM
It's Brain.

Of course.

Brain Man

Pitt Gorilla
05-06-2021, 02:14 PM
I can't believe people butcher Brach Beach's name so badly/frequently.

Otter
05-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Been called "whitey" since I was a teenager. Grandfather was called "speedy".

Nicknames make for easy recall.

Kman34
05-06-2021, 02:15 PM
I thought your name was Raymond this whole time...

seclark
05-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Been called "whitey" since I was a teenager. Grandfather was called "speedy".

Nicknames make for easy recall.

not always a good thing, though.
had a neighbor w/a speech problem that pronounced my name "salt cock".
people still call me that:mad:
sec

Otter
05-06-2021, 02:20 PM
sec

ROFL

Sofa King
05-06-2021, 02:20 PM
sec

Quoted

stumppy
05-06-2021, 02:21 PM
I didn't know your name was Alex, man.

KC_Lee
05-06-2021, 02:21 PM
It's Brain.

Of course.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GBkT19uH2RQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

big nasty kcnut
05-06-2021, 02:44 PM
Because their stupid and brian is a good cop out name.

MTG#10
05-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Its not Bryan its Bryne.

KC_Lee
05-06-2021, 02:49 PM
It's pronounced Do-Moss

htismaqe
05-06-2021, 02:51 PM
It's pronounced Do-Moss

Dumbass.

Willie Lanier
05-06-2021, 03:12 PM
I apologize in my head I've been calling you man rain for years (stupid dad joke)

EPodolak
05-06-2021, 03:45 PM
If you tell your last name, is the first+last mashing up into something triggering "Brian". Give them a wrong last name and see if it clears this issue up.

JakeF
05-06-2021, 03:48 PM
I blame your preference of car color.

Peach is not a natural color for a car.

BWillie
05-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Over the course of our lives, we'll regularly encounter people who get our name wrong. It just happens, and it's no big deal.

However, when people forget my name, they disproportionately call me Brian. (Or maybe Bryan, I can't tell.) This is not a coincidence, because it's really disproportionate. We're talking probably 50 percent of the time, when someone gets my name wrong, they call me Brian/Bryan.

There must be a reason for this. What's the reason?

I'll post a few of my theories in a poll, but other theories are welcome. I need to solve this mystery.

Is your real name Ryan? Or something resembling that. If so then I think it's just coincidence. If your real name is like Khaliq or Hank. Makese no sense...and you just look like a guy named Brian.

mililo4cpa
05-06-2021, 04:08 PM

Same with me....add and delete letters all the time....

Maybe that’s Rainman’s problem: people selectively eliminate all the actual letters of his real name, and then add the letter B-R-I(Y)-A-N....with the net result Brian

Rain Man
05-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Same with me....add and delete letters all the time....

Maybe that’s Rainman’s problem: people selectively eliminate all the actual letters of his real name, and then add the letter B-R-I(Y)-A-N....with the net result Brian

Yeah, the second syllable of Brian/Bryan is kind of right. So it's like they remember the back half of the name and then play the odds on filling in the first syllable.

mililo4cpa
05-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Yeah, the second syllable of Brian/Bryan is kind of right. So it's like they remember the back half of the name and then play the odds on filling in the first syllable.

Maybe when you introduce yourself, your brain hears the full version, but the listener hears “Brrrrrrrrb-AN”, so they take a shot and call you Brian in hopes that’s what that strange sound meant?

Rain Man
05-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Maybe when you introduce yourself, your brain hears the full version, but the listener hears “Brrrrrrrrb-AN”, so they take a shot and call you Brian in hopes that’s what that strange sound meant?

My real name is Brrrrrrban, so I guess you could be right.

RedinTexas
05-06-2021, 05:12 PM

Is that Brrrrrrrban, or Brian?

Rasputin
05-06-2021, 05:17 PM
My biolical parents misspelled my name Casey because everyone calls me KC.

Rain Man
05-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Is that Brrrrrrrban, or Brian?

Stop calling me Brian! My name is Brrrrrrrban!

RedinTexas
05-06-2021, 05:32 PM
Is that a rolling r, or does it rhyme with turban?

Rain Man
05-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Is that a rolling r, or does it rhyme with turban?

Definitely a trilled R.

eDave
05-06-2021, 08:21 PM
I always have to pause and remember if it's Rain Man or Rainman. I not smart.

mlyonsd
05-06-2021, 08:30 PM
I think RM is fucking with me.

All my early life anyone named Brian was named Brian. Then 20 years ago my daughter married a Bryan from Canada. I was like ok.

Since then it seems anyone named Bryan/Brian spells it Bryan. I've definitely noticed it and now RM starts a thread about it.

Wilson8
05-06-2021, 09:20 PM
Dear Brrrrrrban Cranston,

People are getting you confused with Bryan Cranston.

There are worse things than being mistaken for a movie and TV star.

I often get called Brian.

Enjoy the fame.

Sincerely,

Brrrrrrban Dennehy

crazycoffey
05-06-2021, 11:37 PM
Easy answer. When you take away all the false assumptions, whatever you have left, no matter how ridiculous, is the only logical choice.

You look like a Bryan/Brian, to most the people who forget your name....

TinyEvel
05-07-2021, 12:56 AM
People get my name wrong a lot of the time too, but 50 percent of the times it's not even close. My name doesn't even sound anything close to dickhead.

crazycoffey
05-07-2021, 03:41 AM
People get my name wrong a lot of the time too, but 50 percent of the times it's not even close. My name doesn't even sound anything close to dickhead.

Well, when you are what you eat........

Gadzooks
05-07-2021, 04:38 AM
My buddy Craig is always called "Greg" in emails. He wonders how these people are able to get in touch with him since Craig is in his email address.

He once had a lady named Mary say, "what's the difference? Craig, Greg it's close enough, it's 1 letter". Craig referred to Mary as "Gary" in every future email, meeting, social event. Mary didn't appreciate it.

Craig might be a dick but he's right. Being flippant about a person's name can be deemed as an affront. At the least it shows a level of disrespect.

I've worked with a lot of people based out of India and I do my upmost to at least attempt to pronounce their names correctly. Most are understanding. They're not douchey about it, like Greg.

Coogs
05-07-2021, 05:23 AM
Have you ever heard the old saying "you are one in a million"?

I just looked up the population of Greater Denver, and it is right under 3 million.

This would mean there are 3 of you in the Greater Denver area.

Maybe the other 2 are named Brian and Bryan.

Hence, the mix up. :shrug:

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
05-07-2021, 05:29 AM

Then we'll just call you Jim Beam and your problem will be solved.:thumb:

mililo4cpa
05-07-2021, 06:46 AM
The real question is "why are you the bad guy" when you correct someone on your name?

Person 1: "Hey Brian, do you have those TPS reports done?"

Person 2: "Why yes, they are right here.....also, my name isn't Bryan, it's Brrrrban...."

Person 1: "OK, but you don't have to be a jerk about it....."

I never understood that

Sorce
05-07-2021, 07:20 AM
You had a brother who you absorbed in the womb. If he had been born his name would have been Brian. The cells are still there meaning you have always been part Brian.

luv
05-07-2021, 07:29 AM
For me, it's Lori. There was an Olympic volleyball player that came out of Willard (small town near here) named Lori with the same last name as me (no relation as far as we can tell, even though the last name is not common in the Midwest). My name also starts with the letter L.

Otter
05-07-2021, 10:00 AM
You had a brother who you absorbed in the womb. If he had been born his name would have been Brian. The cells are still there meaning you have always been part Brian.

Inbred cannibalism

You rock, Rain Man! :rockon: