View Full Version : Life My Dad is so awesome, he waited for me

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-07-2021, 09:02 PM
My sister told him Jimmy was on the way, drove 8 hours at 90mph and made it. I got to the hospital, I made my way to his room on the 5th floor . I grabbed his hand , rubbed his shoulder, told him i was here .

He took his last four breaths and was gone.

Buried him yesterday.

God is good!

BIG_DADDY
05-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Went through this recently. So awesome to be able to say goodbye. God bless you brother.

POND_OF_RED
05-07-2021, 09:06 PM
That’s incredible. Glad you were there to comfort him in his final moments and I’m glad he put up one last incredible fight to share that moment with you.

InChiefsHeaven
05-07-2021, 09:08 PM
One of the greatest gifts one could receive. My mom waited for us all to finally leave the room, especially my dad. We had surrounded her bedside for 9 days, took shifts overnight, never left her side. Finally, the priest told my father that he needed to tell mom (who was unconscious for 5 days) that he loved her and that it was OK for her to go now. He did so, left the room and 5 minutes later she was gone.

God Bless you man. You really had a moment that many people never have. Cherish it and his memory.

eDave
05-07-2021, 09:09 PM
Wow. This jolted and grabbed me and sent shivers all over. Bitter sweet.

What a moment for both of you. RIP Hog Sr. Be well, Jr.

mlyonsd
05-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Thoughts and prayers Hog. It always sucks losing someone. I missed my mom by 15 minutes.

BIG_DADDY
05-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Thoughts and prayers Hog. It always sucks losing someone. I missed my mom by 15 minutes.

That's hard man. Super tough when it goes down like that.

Wisconsin_Chief
05-07-2021, 09:17 PM
Thank you for posting this.

Beautiful.

HayWire
05-07-2021, 09:19 PM
Awesome. RIP to the ol man and condolences to you.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-07-2021, 09:20 PM

I'm sorry for that. She knows you were there though, even if it wasn't physically.

Rasputin
05-07-2021, 09:21 PM
You are blessed to have that moment cherish it.

I was privileged to spend the last night with my Dad in the nursing home and in the morning put my head on his chest and felt his last breath and I looked in his eyes and I saw the purist form of love I've ever seen then his life was gone but that was the closest I've ever felt to God and I was loved. Tears rolling down my cheek writing this for you. God Bless.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-07-2021, 09:24 PM
You are blessed to have that moment cherish it.

I was privileged to spend the last night with my Dad in the nursing home and in the morning put my head on his chest and felt his last breath and I looked in his eyes and I saw the purist form of love I've ever seen then his life was gone but that was the closest I've ever felt to God and I was loved. Tears rolling down my cheek writing this for you. God Bless.

Amen, It's a life changing moment.

EPodolak
05-07-2021, 09:29 PM
Best to you Hog, glad you got to be there at the end.

KS Smitty
05-07-2021, 09:31 PM
Sincere condolences on your loss. Being with a loved one in their last moments is a very powerful experience, it sure helps with the "afterwards". Peace to you.

big nasty kcnut
05-07-2021, 09:33 PM
My mom had a brain aneurysm in 2008 i got off work at midnight got on the bus and got all the way down to corpus christi. My brother picked me up and we went to the hospital i saw my mom who was fighting so much to live. We were telling her it ok to go. I went to my grandma house to rest after the long trip down and not even a hour later my mom was gone. I was just glad to see her before she passed.
Glad you got that chance hog.

Jewish Rabbi
05-07-2021, 09:34 PM
Sorry for your loss brother, glad you were able to see him one last time to say goodbye.

notorious
05-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Glad you made it buddy.

RIP Hog Dad.

ThyKingdomCome15
05-07-2021, 09:39 PM
That's amazing. Glad you could be there for him.

Rain Man
05-07-2021, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry it had to happen, but I'm glad that you got to be there before it did. My best to you and all those you love.

Chief Roundup
05-07-2021, 09:50 PM
Hog, I hate it that you lost your dad. I am super glad that you made it there to be with him before he passed and he realized you were with him.
May God be with you during this time.

Raiderhater
05-07-2021, 09:51 PM
Wow. I’m sorry for your loss but, happy you both had that moment to say goodbye.

Easy 6
05-07-2021, 09:57 PM
Its never easy Hog, just be so thankful you made it for those last crucial moments

RIP, time leaves deep wounds but they eventually scar over... God Bless

ModSocks
05-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Condolences, my good man. Congrats on finding your path through it.

Titty Meat
05-07-2021, 10:14 PM
Sorry for your loss

teedubya
05-07-2021, 10:22 PM
My sister told him Jimmy was on the way, drove 8 hours at 90mph and made it. I got to the hospital, I made my way to his room on the 5th floor . I grabbed his hand , rubbed his shoulder, told him i was here .

Buried him yesterday.

God is good!

Much love, homie. Sorry for your loss, but glad you got that last moment.

I bet that drive was emotional.

Prison Bitch
05-07-2021, 10:24 PM

Buried him yesterday.

God is good!

Amazing.

Rep to you good sir.

TLO
05-07-2021, 10:35 PM
RIP

bdj23
05-07-2021, 10:48 PM
Damn man

Bwana
05-07-2021, 11:02 PM
Sorry for your loss bud. I'm glad you made it in time.

LiveSteam
05-07-2021, 11:22 PM
Sorry for your lose Hog.

Halfcan
05-07-2021, 11:41 PM
Sorry for your loss. Best wishes to you and your family.

Chief Northman
05-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Thanks for sharing. I can only hope to be so fortunate to be present for the inevitable.
God bless.

Frazod
05-08-2021, 12:15 AM
Glad you made it. Sorry for your loss.

wazu
05-08-2021, 12:15 AM
Glad he waited and you made it. Grieving will no doubt take many forms in the coming months and years. Prayers for healing of all involved.

JakeLV
05-08-2021, 12:30 AM
Sorry for your loss... sounds like you guys had a relationship that was important to him, and I hope the happy memories help dull the sadness of him leaving.

old_geezer
05-08-2021, 06:06 AM
Prayers for you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss and yes, God is good.

Kman34
05-08-2021, 06:43 AM
So sorry for your loss.. I lost both my dad and best friend this spring. Dad had dementia and wasn’t the same easy going self he always was. My best friend died suddenly from a heart attack. I’m jealous and happy for you at the same time because I wasn’t with either at the time of there passing... Prayers sent..

MeaTy The Pimp
05-08-2021, 07:07 AM
Sorry for your loss Hog. At least you got to have that last moment with your dad.

neech
05-08-2021, 07:40 AM
I'm happy for you Hog and you're a good person. Your dads final moments were left for you praise God.

Old Dog
05-08-2021, 07:41 AM
Glad you made it but sorry for your loss. May he RIP.

Shaid
05-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Wow, sorry for you loss but glad you were able to see him that last time and say goodbye.

Meatloaf
05-08-2021, 08:33 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss, but that you were with him as per his passing is wonderful. Take care and God bless you Hog.

Dartgod
05-08-2021, 08:45 AM
Sorry for your loss and I'm glad you could be with him in his final moments.

Mile High Mania
05-08-2021, 09:04 AM
Sorry for your loss, but am glad to hear that you were able to have that final moment. #prayers

seclark
05-08-2021, 09:05 AM
Rip
Glad you could be there
lost my brother a month ago and it happened so fast I never got to say goodbye
He was my hero
Prayers for your family
sec

jallmon
05-08-2021, 09:19 AM
Glad you made it safely to see him. RIP

ClevelandBronco
05-08-2021, 09:41 AM
It’s very cool that you were there to release him. May God bless you in the time ahead—as He has already blessed you and your family.

burt
05-08-2021, 10:01 AM
Sorry for your loss, but happy he hung on for you. Just for the record, you are a good man.

Mosbonian
05-08-2021, 10:36 AM
First....condolences for your loss. Nothing can fill the gap that losing a parent leaves...

But it's great to see that he was able to hold on long enough for you both to say goodbye.

For all the years my dad and I butted heads...argued....and laughed at each other, the last 4 months of his life were tough to take, but some of the most cherished moments. I still can't think of our last day together without getting emotional.

Sounds like you 2 had a wonderful relationship....cherish those memories.

Valiant
05-08-2021, 11:26 AM
I am glad you got to say goodbye. I went through this four years ago.

cabletech94
05-08-2021, 11:50 AM
I’m glad you were there, brother. Damn it’s dusty in here. Hugs from the cabletech fam.

PHOG
05-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Glad you were able to be there for him. RIP

Al Czervik
05-08-2021, 12:06 PM
RIP to your Dad!!!

chop
05-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got to say goodbye.

Rainbarrel
05-08-2021, 12:29 PM
God bless you and yours.

Otter
05-08-2021, 12:29 PM
Sorry for your loss, brother.

Buehler445
05-08-2021, 01:06 PM
Damn. Best wishes, bud. Sorry for your loss.

BossChief
05-08-2021, 01:33 PM
I’m sorry to hear that but I’m glad that you got to spend that time with him. He’s in a better place spending g time with people he’s missed for ages.

Take care brother.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Thank You Everybody. Our relationship was special. He was a veterinarian and then a swine management consultant so he helped guide me throughout my career. He was the official zoo veterinarian at the Independence Zoo in Kansas and took care of "Miss Able" the first Monkey launched into outer space. Graduated Texas A&M and served in the Korean war.

At the funeral the pastor read off his list of accomplishments and I was like ,damn, when I die I'm just gonna have the pastor tell them I was his son and read his obit to them. LOL

REDHOTGTO
05-08-2021, 03:32 PM
so sorry old friend, ive been there with my mom its no fun
did they still live in indy ?

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-08-2021, 04:17 PM
so sorry old friend, ive been there with my mom its no fun
did they still live in indy ?

No, they moved away years ago. But his veterinary clinic and farm was there in Indy in the early years.

He had that clinic by the overpass on west Main if you remember that had the big cow on the pedestal. Dr Whittim took over his practice when he left.

REDHOTGTO
05-08-2021, 04:19 PM
cool, again sorry for your loss, glad he hung on till ya got there

IowaHawkeyeChief
05-08-2021, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear Hog... It's amazing what a person's "spirit" may do...

My brother died of Brain Cancer a few years back... My brother who died, myself, and another brother were all extremely close. Daily phone calls, annual trips with our spouses, etc. He was in hospice and he was near the end, we thought a couple of days out. So my brother and I, and our sons, drove my mother back to her house as she needed some medication and she lived an hour or so away. We dropped Mom and then proceeded to my lake house another hour or so. We were going to head back fairly early the next morning, pick up Mom, and go back to hospice for the duration. We stopped along the way and bought some whiskey, beer and other items and had decided we were going to tie one on a bit. Well, we got to the lake, ate a late dinner, and then proceeded to not tie one on, we don't know why, but we just sat around the fire and told story after story about my brother, memories from our youth and throughout our lives. All of a sudden we realized it was nearly 4:30 in the morning. Thank god we weren't wasted because we had to wake up early and head back. Everyone went to their bedrooms and I was the last to turn off the lights and head to bed. I got into bed and 2 minutes later, my Sister-in-law called and said that they had woken her up and that the monitor had went off and my brother had passed a few minutes previously. We talked the next day to his kids and other family and all had went to bed early after a few long days... We were the only ones up and it was like he was waiting for us to go to bed as he listened to our stories...

My prayers our with you and your family Hog.

Lzen
05-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Good to hear you had the last moments. My dad struggled so much I had to leave the hospital room. He was so hopped up on morphine it was hard to see him like that. But before that he did say he was glad all his kids were there with him.

scho63
05-08-2021, 06:06 PM
Great that you see the positive in this and that you are thankful.

Sorry about the passing of your Dad but so happy you got that last moment of bonding.

My father passed away in the hospital a few hours before my Mom, my sister and I got back from the prior day.

Me, my sister and my Aunt all were with my Mom holding her hands as she took her last breaths.

jjchieffan
05-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Glad that you got to be there. I haven't buried a parent, but we lost my sister to cancer in 2019. My daughter had an appointment with a doctor right down the road from the hospital the morning she passed. We were at that appointment when I got the call that she had gone. It was devastating that I was that close and missed those final moments with her. That's awesome that you got to be there.

ROYC75
05-09-2021, 10:04 AM
May he RIP knowing that the 2 of you were able to share that last bonding moment with unconditional love.

Thanks for sharing your treasured memory for life.

eDave
05-09-2021, 10:06 AM
May he RIP knowing that the 2 of you were able to share that last bonding moment with unconditional love.

Thanks for sharing your treasured memory for life.

How are YOU doing?

ROYC75
05-09-2021, 11:31 AM
How are YOU doing?

Fair to be honest with ya. If you ask anybody around me you would here I'm doing GREAT, GOOD . All of the stuff except that living in a great deal of pain daily.

I got released from therapy at 83 degrees flexibility on my right knee and now I'm up to 95 on my own workout regime.

But with that there's still a lot of pain if I try to move it any more than that cuz it just does not want to move since it's scar tissue. Long-term knee issues has caused my back to have greater issues and now they want to do surgery on it. I've already pushed off the idea of ever getting both rotator cuff issues repaired, I'm tired of surgeries.

As a last-ditch effort to ease the pain, the doc has ordered me to therapy on my back hoping that I can get the inflammation to calm down in the L4 L5 area hoping to get the core muscles to strengthen up enough to support myself.

I'm planning a 1.5, maybe 2 month long trip around August to the western part of the states to see family, friends and do some sightseeing.

Most of all I'm just happy to be alive after that ordeal of nearly losing my life and not being mobile anymore. Just so thankful to be alive.

Thanks for asking and how are you doing?

Easy 6
05-09-2021, 01:14 PM
The older I get, the more clear it becomes that we have to cherish every minute we get with loved ones

If I may, I'd like to share a quick story

Between the time I was born in 71, up until he died in 2007, the amount of time I was able tp spend with dad could be contained in a month, tops.. he was just filled with wanderlust I guess, moving between Florida, Colorado, Nevada and all points in between during my life, being in Illinois just made it basically impossible to see him

And he never made any real effort to bring me to where he was on summer vacations etc

As those who've been in similar situations can attest, its definitely leaves a deep void in you... doesn't dad love or care about me? No Christmas, no birthday cards, won't come see me, nothing?

But jump to 2007 and he's starting to get older at age 64, so he decides to move back to my old hometown, the town where he met my mother and had run a business back in the late 60s - early 70s

I was living 30 miles away in the state capital of Springfield at the time, but I quickly decided to move back to this boring ass little town, that I'd long ago SWORE I'd never come back to, for that one reason alone... finally, here's my chance to spend real time with dad and have a real relationship!

So we reconnected here in June of 2007, and started spending time with each other whenever possible... but it wasn't meant to last, he died exactly one month after I'd come back here, we had all of 30 days to reconnect

It was maybe the worst kick in the nuts I've ever taken... WE WERE JUST GETTING STARTED :mad: :deevee:

So yeah, if there is a parent, or any loved one, you've fallen away from... just remember that nothing is promised to us, it could all end tomorrow, so please don't wait to put the past aside and reconnect