PDA

View Full Version : Life Anybody toured the Grand Canyon?

ROYC75
05-20-2021, 03:04 PM
It's been 50 yrs ago I last saw it in person, even then we just saw one place and I do not recall, some place at the South Rim.

So what are some of the many things I can do if I stayed for 3-4 days ?

UPDATED.

OK, I'll be driving, I'm taking off for 2 months on my own. Not set Schedule except what I want to do.

Leaving KY ( stops in order )
Brandon ,Ms
Afton,Ok
Kerrville,Tx
Grand Canyon,Az
Las Vegas,Nv
Moab,Ut
Badlands,SD
KC
then back home to Ky.

Sofa King
05-20-2021, 03:06 PM
Jump in.

Kellerfox
05-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Some general Northern Arizona recommendations... (Some language tailored to kids, I copied/pasted this from a post I made on another website for someone with kids)

Grand Canyon: The south rim is more developed and has better / more options for lodging and vantage points. It also has the main park station and museum. The south is best accessed from Flagstaff, likely flying into Phoenix. However, the North side has the glass sky bridge with is also a cool experience. It's best accessed from Las Vegas.

If you're mobile, things to do beyond the Grand Canyon:

Hike the underground Lava Tube Cave (this one is a must IMO - get there early so that you're the only ones there - take a flash light or two, or be committed to burning your cell battery for it's flashlight)

Williams, AZ / Route 66

Sedona / Jerome / Tuzigut / Verde Canyon Railroad / Montezuma's Castle (same general region, but could spend multiple days to do all the cool shit)

Meteor Crater (a bit underwhelming, but could be cool for your kids)

Canyon De Chelly National Monument (think it may be temporarily closed... But check)

Antelope Canyon / Horseshoe Bend (again... Think both are temporarily closed, but check)

Hoover Dam (a bit further, but if your kids haven't been could be done via a long day trip)

Lowell Observatory - I haven’t been, but have friends with kids in Phoenix who go up a couple times per year for their children’s programming. I’ve heard they will actually let kids stargaze with the premium equipment.

Hiking / Trails - we’ve never had a bad experience pulling up the All Trails App and picking a trail throughout the state

Kellerfox
05-20-2021, 03:15 PM
Building on that post - you can definitely fill a 3-4 day vacation in Flagstaff!

ModSocks
05-20-2021, 03:17 PM
I've flown over it. It looks like a giant crack in the earth.

That's all i have to contribute.

mr. tegu
05-20-2021, 03:19 PM
It’s not as much a do something place as it is strictly sight seeing from the rim place, especially if physical fitness isn’t someone’s strong suit. That said Bright Angel trail is a popular though long and strenuous hike down to the river. Horseshoe bend is a good spot to visit as well. I think it would be a good idea to consider other nearby spots if you are committed to 3-4 days in the region. Places such as Antelope Canyon or Canyon X for those smooth colorful canyon rock walls is a good option.

lewdog
05-20-2021, 03:23 PM
Some general Northern Arizona recommendations...

Grand Canyon: The south rim is more developed and has better / more options for lodging and vantage points. It also has the main park station and museum. The south is best accessed from Flagstaff, likely flying into Phoenix. However, the North side has the glass sky bridge with is also a cool experience. It's best accessed from Las Vegas.

If you're mobile, things to do beyond the Grand Canyon:

Hike the underground Lava Tube Cave (this one is a must IMO - get there early so that you're the only ones there - take a flash light or two, or be committed to burning your cell battery for it's flashlight)

Williams, AZ / Route 66

Sedona / Jerome / Tuzigut / Verde Canyon Railroad / Montezuma's Castle (same general region, but could spend multiple days to do all the cool shit)

Meteor Crater (a bit underwhelming, but could be cool for your kids)

Canyon De Chelly National Monument (think it may be temporarily closed... But check)

Antelope Canyon / Horseshoe Bend (again... Think both are temporarily closed, but check)

Hoover Dam (a bit further, but if your kids haven't been could be done via a long day trip)

Lowell Observatory - I haven’t been, but have friends with kids in Phoenix who go up a couple times per year for their children’s programming. I’ve heard they will actually let kids stargaze with the premium equipment.

Hiking / Trails - we’ve never had a bad experience pulling up the All Trails App and picking a trail throughout the state

Who the fuck are you?!

ROYC75
05-20-2021, 03:29 PM
I've flown over it. It looks like a giant crack in the earth.

That's all i have to contribute.

I've thought about this!

Train ride, hiking, mule ride down , back up, etc.

Kellerfox
05-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Who the fuck are you?!

Someone who lives next door to you. I haven't made it to any of the Phoenix area CP gatherings yet. I live/work in the Tempe Town Lake / Papago Park area.

sd4chiefs
05-20-2021, 03:42 PM
<iframe width="956" height="538" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AqNwo2NpmGY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EPodolak
05-20-2021, 03:51 PM
Afton OK....

(?)

scho63
05-20-2021, 03:52 PM
Someone who lives next door to you. I haven't made it to any of the Phoenix area CP gatherings yet. I live/work in the Tempe Town Lake / Papago Park area.

You need an invite first so you better be nice to Lewdog......:p

Indian Chief
05-20-2021, 03:56 PM
When I was in Vegas, I took the tour where they pick you up and drive to the G.C. You then take a helicopter over and into the canyon and then take a pontoon boat down the river. It was a really great experience. Obviously if you have your own wheels you don't need the whole package, but flying over and boating through provided some unique vantage points.

RedinTexas
05-20-2021, 04:06 PM
I did the tour where you fly the length of the canyon in an Air Force training aircraft. It didn't take 4 days and it's only available to certain people, but pretty spectacular.

DanT
05-20-2021, 04:36 PM
I've not toured the Grand Canyon yet, but I am hoping to do so in the next year or three. I'm also thinking about going to see the nearby Vermilion Cliffs. Anyone have any advice about that place?

Bearcat
05-20-2021, 05:42 PM

Seconded. Bought these head lamps and they worked great...
https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Headlamp-Lightweight-Emergency-Batteries/dp/B08WC2VYMS

There's a point in the cave where you go left or right, and IIRC, the left side goes further into the cave than going right.

Williams, AZ / Route 66

Between the south rim and Williams (~25 miles south of Grand Canyon Village), there's an old Flintstones park (https://raptor-ranch.com/attractions/bedrock-city/). They charge $8 to get in and wander around. The location was bought a couple years ago and it's now apparently "Raptor Ranch", but you can still wander around the ruins of an old amusement park.

Personally not a fan of Sedona due to it being a crowded tourist trap (but, driving through there is nice), but of course it's hugely popular. I enjoy the lesser-known Jerome, and if you go there, stop by Haunted Hamburger for a bourbon caramel bacon shake and a burger. There's also a "haunted" hotel that has a great view of the town.

In Sedona, you can do fancy wine tastings and meander shops all day. In Jerome, you can eat a hamburger and try to land a coin in a toilet of an old jail cell from ~50 yards. Different strokes.

I still need to make it here... there's also "The Wave", but no idea if that's open, and I'm sure it's reservation only and far out in advance.

T-post Tom
05-20-2021, 05:46 PM
Night sky is unlike any I’ve seen on land. Lack of light pollution makes for an incredible view. More stars than black between them when I was there.

Bearcat
05-20-2021, 05:48 PM
I take it there's a reason you're going to San Antonio/I-10 area as opposed to staying on I-40 from Oklahoma into Flagstaff... and if you're in no hurry, there's always the south half of Arizona to enjoy off I-10 before going north.

Bisbee, Tucson, driving up through Tonto National Park.

And something else around the Flagstaff area is Grand Falls.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sNvBzQ4I-IA/maxresdefault.jpg

ROYC75
05-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Afton OK....

(?)

My best friend lives on Grand Lake of the Cherokee's I'm going to spend two weeks with him and do some fishing.

Why Not?
05-21-2021, 04:17 AM
My only add is that if you do some hiking at/in the GC, please bring much more water than you think you need. People who visit AZ and who aren’t used to the climate get themselves in deep shit hiking around without enough water and proper sun shade. Otherwise, the GC is awesome. You’ll have Elk practically walking up to you and you’d be hard pressed to find a prettier sunset.

ROYC75
05-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Been doing some thinking of taking a few extra days to do a Route 66 Az run.

IA_Chiefs_fan
05-22-2021, 10:08 PM
I hope you have a great time!

Rain Man
05-22-2021, 11:44 PM
The Grand Canyon stone cold rocks. I really like visiting that area.

My suggestions of places within an hour of your route.

Fredericksburg, TX
Old town Santa Fe
Sedona (great corn bread there)
Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Palisade, CO
Vail, CO
Devils Tower

It would be a shame if you couldn't cut south from Moab to Telluride and up through Leadville to Vail. Then continue your journey.

suzzer99
05-23-2021, 01:05 AM
I've visited over half the US national parks - Bright Angel Trail down into the canyon is one of the most jaw-droppingly scenic hikes I've ever done. Unless it's 100 degrees, the hike down Indian Camp should be doable. Just don't push it and try to get down to the river. Leave early if it's hot.

JimBaker48.8
05-23-2021, 07:30 AM
Grand Canyon is way overrated IMO.
If time permits be sure and check out CanyonLands NP in Utah, not too far north of GC, for a more interesting view of southwestern canyon type geology.