PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Smith interview with Colin Cowherd

RealSNR
05-26-2021, 04:43 PM
Okay, this is actually pretty good. He's really entertaining. His thoughts on Urban Meyer as an NFL coach are interesting. If you don't really care about his recovery because you've heard the story 1000 times, go to 11:06 where he talks Andy Reid and Mahomes. It's actually worth a listen, I think.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2vFGlRm3qDc?controls=0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
05-26-2021, 04:52 PM
Also, if I may beat this drum again... very end of the interview Cowherd says, "Don't go into coaching" and Alex says, "Don't think the wife will let me."

Eat a dick! He's not going to coach!

eDave
05-26-2021, 04:52 PM
Don't sleep on the first 11 minutes.

TwistedChief
05-26-2021, 05:44 PM
The entire thing is absolutely awesome. Love that guy.

Deberg_1990
05-26-2021, 05:59 PM
Great stuff!

Proud to be an Alexsexual!

Eureka
05-26-2021, 07:12 PM
Great stuff!

Proud to be an Alexsexual!

He's already married bro.

https://i1.wp.com/3.bp.blogspot.com/-6Z_62TVL7ac/WnG9JImf6xI/AAAAAAABNUU/i85x-9p9L4IiCJprb7a8gOnyC1ub1NjtgCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/Elizabeth-Barry-Oakland-Raiders-Cheerleader.jpg

lewdog
05-26-2021, 07:48 PM
I’d listen to anything his wife would tell me.

JakeF
05-26-2021, 07:52 PM
Alex Smith is a good guy.

Rasputin
05-26-2021, 08:53 PM
I'll listen to it when I get home from work but wish I could mute Colin Cowturd when he speaks.

Willie Lanier
05-27-2021, 03:36 AM
Okay, this is actually pretty good. He's really entertaining. His thoughts on Urban Meyer as an NFL coach are interesting. If you don't really care about his recovery because you've heard the story 1000 times, go to 11:06 where he talks Andy Reid and Mahomes. It's actually worth a listen, I think.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2vFGlRm3qDc?controls=0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know how you can't like the guy,, , he's a good dude

Willie Lanier
05-27-2021, 03:51 AM

He's pretty far from mahomes, but who isn't'?

Buehler445
05-27-2021, 05:11 AM
I've always had the position that he isn't Cassel. We weren't going to win with him, but he wasn't the worst. And as a person I have a ton of respect for him. I think it's pretty genuine. Dudes can behave for a few years (see: Peters, Marcus) but if he wasn't at least mostly genuine, he'd have certainly handled his career differently. Not that much of that matters between the white lines, but since he's not a Chief anymore, it affects my view of him far more now.

RE: Interview. He's good. Goddamn he's well spoken. He was super relaxed and the dude didn't stutter not one time. And the big thing is he didn't drop a single cliche. That's amazing for a sports guy. Especially a guy who has told a story as many times as he has with his injury story.

And the Rodgers stuff he talked about was not some benign lightweight stuff. He fired some guns there. And it's

Dude is REALLY good on TV. Not sure where he's going, but goddamn he's good on TV.

wazu
05-27-2021, 06:19 AM
Great interview! The Green Bay commentary was the best, probably followed by the recovery process and how actually never believed he'd make it back onto the field. I also didn't remember that the Chiefs had prepared Alex that they were going to try to draft a QB, and he appreciated it. Cowherd did a great job of hitting him with medium-weight questions and the answers were refreshingly honest. Thanks for posting.

BigRedChief
05-27-2021, 06:46 AM

He's pretty far from mahomes, but who isn't'?Smith did the best he could with the talent he was given. He obviously has the heart of a champion, just not the god given natural physical tools to win a SB.

Bwana
05-27-2021, 06:59 AM
Great interview and as others have said, good person.

oldman
05-27-2021, 07:32 AM
I've always had the position that he isn't Cassel. We weren't going to win with him, but he wasn't the worst. And as a person I have a ton of respect for him. I think it's pretty genuine. Dudes can behave for a few years (see: Peters, Marcus) but if he wasn't at least mostly genuine, he'd have certainly handled his career differently. Not that much of that matters between the white lines, but since he's not a Chief anymore, it affects my view of him far more now.

That's kind of how I see it, too. It was a sad few years for Kansas City football until the trio of Reid, Dorsey, and Smith arrived in 2013. When you take a 2-14 team to 11-5 in the 1st year, that deserves some respect. It wasn't all Andy and Dorsey hadn't enough time to beef up the roster. Smith had a big part in our success and he still was enough of a pro to mentor PMII even though he knew his time here was over.

chinaski
05-27-2021, 08:11 AM
Thanks for posting this!

I think it showed a different side of Alex. He has always been well spoken, but with his interviews as a player, his demeanor was somewhat subdued and towing the "company line" so to speak. Here, he was a bit more animated and not afraid to share his opinion...certainly with the Green Bay/Rodgers situation.

He totally has a career as an analyst or commentator, if he wishes to explore that. I'd love to see him and Romo call a game. That would be cool!

Chiefspants
05-27-2021, 08:14 AM
Yeah, that has a level of candor that is used to be uncommon for past players. I loved it, thanks for sharing.

DaFace
05-27-2021, 08:25 AM
Worth the listen. It's fascinating to hear how much his recovery was a lot of "well, this will never work, but what else can I do?" and how his wife pushed him to actually give it a go in the end.

Also good to hear that he feels like the Chiefs treated him right even when they were bringing in Mahomes.

Chiefspants
05-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Also good to hear that he feels like the Chiefs treated him right even when they were brining in Mahomes.

It made me remember an interview he did after the PIT playoff loss. He kind of had a random aside like, "If only I had seen Tyreek.." He was sort of mocked for it here (I gave him a real hard time for it). I wonder if he knew the Chiefs looking for a new QB was inevitable after that. Weird to think of the potential alternate history had Alex hit Tyreek on that play.

Deberg_1990
05-27-2021, 08:33 AM
Also good to hear that he feels like the Chiefs treated him right even when they were brining in Mahomes.

I loved how honest he was when discussing the Green Bay/Rodgers situation

He was basically the Packers screwed up and the Chiefs Kept me informed during the entire draft process before they drafted Mahomes.

PHOG
05-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Thanks for posting this. A really good interview, and I would agree that Alex is well spoken. Broadcasting may be a future for him, if he desires it.

Rasputin
05-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Great interview! The Green Bay commentary was the best, probably followed by the recovery process and how actually never believed he'd make it back onto the field. I also didn't remember that the Chiefs had prepared Alex that they were going to try to draft a QB, and he appreciated it. Cowherd did a great job of hitting him with medium-weight questions and the answers were refreshingly honest. Thanks for posting.

I am no where near a fan of Cowherd but I'll give credit where credit is do and he did a good job with the interview and I did enjoy listening to Alex speak.

I think I'd rather watch Alex in the booth than Tony Romo. Of course he would not have the smile of Trent Green :D pearly whites.

Rainbarrel
05-27-2021, 10:00 AM
Poor Alex. Rex Ryan would trip over his feet, fall on him nd puncture a lung.

RealSNR
05-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Say what you will about his show or the way he forms opinions only to be the "hot take" guy, but Cowherd asks the right questions. He should give a masterclass on conducting TV/radio interviews.

The guests never feel on edge, and his wording of questions stimulates topics within the answer that otherwise would not normally be brought up by the guest on their own. That's a challenge with sports broadcasting-- you're dealing with people who are either trained/coached to not say anything, or they're just not very talkative people who aren't used to being on TV. You have to really frame the conversation just right or you're probably going to get a non-answer that's awkward and boring to listen to.

Molitoth
05-27-2021, 10:39 AM
Always liked Alex as a person, father, husband, etc...

But I do not regret wanting him off the field after season 3 ish?

Watching him QB was sooooooooooooo boring.

scho63
05-27-2021, 10:42 AM
Class act all the way.

Shoes
05-27-2021, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting- great interview. Alex Smith is very articulate and enjoyable to listen to. Could see him being a great broadcaster in the future if that is what he chooses.

DaneMcCloud
05-27-2021, 11:33 AM
IMO, the most interesting aspect of the interview was the truth that every single coach, outside of Reid, tried to fit a square peg into a round hole, i.e., turn a young, smart, mobile QB into a "Pocket Passer" or "System" QB.

There is absolutely no doubt that had he been chosen #1 overall in 2018 instead of 2005, his skills would have translated to today's game almost immediately.

95% of these head coaches are buttfucking morons that only know how to do something one way and one way only, yet buttfucks like Adam Gase and Rex Ryan and Pat Shurmur and Eric Mangini and so many other morons are hired over and over and over again, despite the fact they end up with the same exact results time after time after time.

I'd almost pay money to hear Alex's experiences with people like Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary and the like, who had absolutely no business as NFL head coaches.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-27-2021, 07:02 PM
Big article on Alex in this month's SI. How he came back and played on that horrific-looking, patchwork "leg" is truly amazing. The pictures in the article almost made me throw up - and they're current pics. His leg looks like something you'd expect to see on Frankenstein.

lcarus
05-27-2021, 08:45 PM
IMO, the most interesting aspect of the interview was the truth that every single coach, outside of Reid, tried to fit a square peg into a round hole, i.e., turn a young, smart, mobile QB into a "Pocket Passer" or "System" QB.

There is absolutely no doubt that had he been chosen #1 overall in 2018 instead of 2005, his skills would have translated to today's game almost immediately.

95% of these head coaches are buttfucking morons that only know how to do something one way and one way only, yet buttfucks like Adam Gase and Rex Ryan and Pat Shurmur and Eric Mangini and so many other morons are hired over and over and over again, despite the fact they end up with the same exact results time after time after time.

I'd almost pay money to hear Alex's experiences with people like Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary and the like, who had absolutely no business as NFL head coaches.

Mike Singletary is the worst type of idiot. The type that thinks he knows it all and his way is the only way. "Because back in my day blah blah blah" I could see that trainwreck coming from a mile away. Felt bad for Alex in that situation.

lcarus
05-27-2021, 08:47 PM
Also, I know he's done, but I think Alex could still play and would be a great backup for Mahomes. Say Mahomes gets a high ankle sprain in week 17 and we're the #1 seed. Alex would be a good backup to come in and give us a shot still.

Titty Meat
05-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Alex can do anything and be really good at it. Dude made alot of money in the league and will make even more out of football

Buehler445
05-27-2021, 09:03 PM
Mike Singletary is the worst type of idiot. The type that thinks he knows it all and his way is the only way. "Because back in my day blah blah blah" I could see that trainwreck coming from a mile away. Felt bad for Alex in that situation.

He was exactly like Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards.

GloryDayz
05-27-2021, 09:10 PM
One of Colin's best interviews ever. Mainly because he let somebody like Alex do the talking. Wow, that was awesome...

dlphg9
05-27-2021, 11:39 PM
Also, I know he's done, but I think Alex could still play and would be a great backup for Mahomes. Say Mahomes gets a high ankle sprain in week 17 and we're the #1 seed. Alex would be a good backup to come in and give us a shot still.

The fuck would anyone want ASS11 starting another playoff game he would just lose.

God damn this place likes sucking some Alex dick ever since he left.

eDave
05-27-2021, 11:42 PM
The **** would anyone want ASS11 starting another playoff game he would just lose.

Relax, man. Nobody is elevating his level of play. Just recognizing the man he is. We lose Mahomes for the playoffs, we are likely done anyway.

He's done with being in the game.

Titty Meat
05-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Relax, man. Nobody is elevating his level of play. Just recognizing the man he is.

He's done with being in the game.

It is weird how much the dude won. The last few years in SF, every year here, and I'm pretty sure he had a winning record in Washington. At times he looked pretty damn good but would have stretches where he disappeared.

Frazod
05-28-2021, 06:00 AM
The fuck would anyone want ASS11 starting another playoff game he would just lose.

Years ago I prepared a will for one of my firm's more, shall we say, vindictive clients. He had a provision added that if his ex-wife survived him, once a year his executor had to write her a letter telling her what a fucking bitch she was. Reminds me of the people who still hate on Smith.

Nobody was happier than me to see him go. But he's gone. During his final season, he knew he was training his replacement. He could have been a prick like Favre was to Rodgers, but instead he was gracious and helpful. Everybody involved talks about how instrumental he was in Pat's development. And to this day he has never said an unkind word about the organization that traded up 17 spots to kick him to the curb.

Let it go.

eDave
05-28-2021, 06:14 AM
the organization that traded up 17 spots to kick him to the curb.

Let it go.

LOL. Ouch.

jettio
05-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Say what you will about his show or the way he forms opinions only to be the "hot take" guy, but Cowherd asks the right questions. He should give a masterclass on conducting TV/radio interviews.

The guests never feel on edge, and his wording of questions stimulates topics within the answer that otherwise would not normally be brought up by the guest on their own. That's a challenge with sports broadcasting-- you're dealing with people who are either trained/coached to not say anything, or they're just not very talkative people who aren't used to being on TV. You have to really frame the conversation just right or you're probably going to get a non-answer that's awkward and boring to listen to.

Agree, Cowherd does a good interview even if he can come up with silly takes when he has the mike and minutes to fill.

I think Alex Smith describing Andy Reid may be the most sincere and candid praise of a professional coach that I have ever heard. Reminds me of Bill Walton talking about John Wooden. Which reminds me that Alex Smith and Bill Walton went to same high school.

Graystoke
05-28-2021, 12:34 PM
Finally got time to watch this.
Alex Smith is a class act. Loved him speaking about Reid, Mahomes and the Chiefs organization.
But lets face the facts. Easier to really like Alex and respect him after we won a Super Bowl with Mahomes.
Winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate cleaner of previous years failures

eDave
05-28-2021, 12:38 PM
Finally got time to watch this.
Alex Smith is a class act. Loved him speaking about Reid, Mahomes and the Chiefs organization.
But lets face the facts. Easier to really like Alex and respect him after we won a Super Bowl with Mahomes.
Winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate cleaner of previous years failures

This is a good take. Had we replaced him with another retread or bad pick for a QB, he'd be just another in a long line of mediocrity. Kinda hard to lay that on him now, IMO. He transitioned us out of that nicely whether he wanted to or not. He certainly holds no animosity and likes that he had time and a roll in Mahomes early development.

I don't think he was listening to Andy's coaching to keep the ball down. Shit, probably why he copped out so much and threw behind the line or well before the sticks.

crazycoffey
05-29-2021, 12:36 AM
It made me remember an interview he did after the PIT playoff loss. He kind of had a random aside like, "If only I had seen Tyreek.." He was sort of mocked for it here (I gave him a real hard time for it). I wonder if he knew the Chiefs looking for a new QB was inevitable after that. Weird to think of the potential alternate history had Alex hit Tyreek on that play.

Right?

I’ve never been a fan of the Alex hate. I’ve always understood it.

This interview when Alex was talking about Rodgers, I was sure it was coming from “personal experience”. But was quickly resolved when he talked about the chiefs drafting PMII

Good stuff

crazycoffey
05-29-2021, 12:41 AM
Years ago I prepared a will for one of my firm's more, shall we say, vindictive clients. He had a provision added that if his ex-wife survived him, once a year his executor had to write her a letter telling her what a fucking bitch she was. Reminds me of the people who still hate on Smith.

Nobody was happier than me to see him go. But he's gone. During his final season, he knew he was training his replacement. He could have been a prick like Favre was to Rodgers, but instead he was gracious and helpful. Everybody involved talks about how instrumental he was in Pat's development. And to this day he has never said an unkind word about the organization that traded up 17 spots to kick him to the curb.

Let it go.

This. A thousand times; this!!! Alex haters; let it go................

Rasputin
05-29-2021, 01:10 AM
He was exactly like Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards.

I really didn't know you felt this way about Herm Edwards can you elaborate and articulate even more about your feelings to our ex coach that ran the wild cat against the Raiders and I think we were the only team to lose to Jamarcus Russell?

Let it all out Bueler445

Buehler445
05-29-2021, 12:50 PM
I really didn't know you felt this way about Herm Edwards can you elaborate and articulate even more about your feelings to our ex coach that ran the wild cat against the Raiders and I think we were the only team to lose to Jamarcus Russell?

Let it all out Bueler445

Years ago Reerun and I think TimBone mailed me a framed picture of Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards, which I lit a giant fire and burned it in.

That was cathartic.

Buehler445
05-29-2021, 12:55 PM
It was Reerun and TimBone.

I forgot the fucker insured it ROFL.

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315305&highlight=Package