PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sunday Ticket

Jimmya
07-09-2021, 02:07 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/media/apple-early-talks-stream-nfl-sunday-ticket-games-rcna1380

Would we have to be locked into the apple ecosystem?

Deberg_1990
07-09-2021, 02:12 PM
https://www.nbcnews.com/media/apple-early-talks-stream-nfl-sunday-ticket-games-rcna1380

Would we have to be locked into the apple ecosystem?

I don’t think so. AppleTV+ is on a lot of different platforms now. Including Roku and LG TVs.

Jimmya
07-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Great to hear...I don't know much about that platform...I hope we can just buy chiefs games this time around.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2021, 02:49 PM
Jimmy likes football! Jimmy wants Sunday Ticket for Jimmy!

displacedinMN
07-09-2021, 02:53 PM
how much of a delay would streaming give ? It is behind now by at least 30 sec.

The chat room can already be a spoiler

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2021, 02:56 PM
how much of a delay would streaming give ? It is behind now by at least 30 sec.

The chat room can already be a spoiler

It's about the same.

The reason for the latency vs. broadcast TV is that the signal needs to be encoded and decoded at 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It's the same for live streaming, whether your provider is AT&T, Spectrum, YouTube, Hulu Live, etc.

It's impossible to chat with someone when someone is streaming and the other person(s) are watching it live on OTA Broadcast TV, which is a drag.

displacedinMN
07-09-2021, 03:18 PM
It's about the same.

The reason for the latency vs. broadcast TV is that the signal needs to be encoded and decoded at 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It's the same for live streaming, whether your provider is AT&T, Spectrum, YouTube, Hulu Live, etc.

It's impossible to chat with someone when someone is streaming and the other person(s) are watching it live on OTA Broadcast TV, which is a drag.

I know DTV is a little behind. Streaming would be more. Yuck. Love chat on game day.

Streaming a live game makes me feel like I am seeing things in the past.
Like how we see the sun.

In58men
07-09-2021, 04:00 PM
It’s going to be a bidding war between Apple, Disney EPSN and Amazon.

DAZN expected to throw in some offers as well. We won’t know for a long time.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2021, 05:24 PM
Btw, the quality of AppleTV+ shows is quite excellent.

They have chosen they quality over quantity route unlike other streamers. And of course they have unlimited budgets.

New World Order
07-09-2021, 05:41 PM
Jimmy likes football! Jimmy wants Sunday Ticket for Jimmy!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ScaredDarlingGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

eDave
07-09-2021, 05:49 PM
It's about the same.

Does the coding time deminish as the resolution drops?

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Does the coding time deminish as the resolution drops?

From my understanding, no. The bottleneck is caused by sending out all of those different resolutions simultaneously, which is what causes the latency.

Dante84
07-09-2021, 06:28 PM
I hope Amazon gets it.

tyecopeland
07-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Great to hear...I don't know much about that platform...I hope we can just buy chiefs games this time around.

If it was: Buy a single teams season ticket for $40 per month or all teams for $60 per month... which would you do?

Chief Roundup
07-09-2021, 06:42 PM
I hope Amazon gets it.

Why Amazon?

In58men
07-09-2021, 06:53 PM
I hope whoever gets it offers individual team packages.

displacedinMN
07-09-2021, 07:25 PM
I hope whoever gets it offers individual team packages.Ditto.

BigRedChief
07-09-2021, 07:32 PM
I don’t think so. AppleTV+ is on a lot of different platforms now. Including Roku and LG TVs.and it’s still a fucking hassle to cast it to your TV unless you use Apples proprietary tools. Unless they want to allow ease of us for Bluetooth like everything else in the world, fuck em.

BigRedChief
07-09-2021, 07:33 PM
I hope whoever gets it offers individual team packages.MLB does that for their extra innings packages.

BigRedChief
07-09-2021, 07:36 PM
It's about the same.

It's impossible to chat with someone when someone is streaming and the other person(s) are watching it live on OTA Broadcast TV, which is a drag.Correct. No amount of tech or adapters can overcome the delay.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2021, 07:43 PM
and it’s still a ****ing hassle to cast it to your TV unless you use Apples proprietary tools. Unless they want to allow ease of us for Bluetooth like everything else in the world, **** em.

Yea true. But If you cast to a device with the built in AppleTV app, then it’s pretty easy. I have an LG tv that has it. I’m not sure about other brands?

Chief Pagan
07-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Why Amazon?

Probably because he already has Prime like I do.

If Apple had exclusive that would suck.

Even Disney getting exclusive would probably suck because you would probably have to effectively pay for a big bundle that would include a bunch of Disney+ stuff that I would never watch.

At least with the current Direct TV setup I find it fairly easy to find a student so I can get a standalone streaming. And they aren't trying very hard to prevent it. Not even requiring an university email.

Dante84
07-10-2021, 01:20 AM
Amazon just does shit right. Super dialed in to customer wants and needs, super innovative, great support. I just think it would be light years ahead of DirecTV (the bar is low).

ESPN+ craps out a lot during Big12 streaming and pisses me off. Apple’s support sucks.

Google/YouTube TV would be the other I would root for, if not Amazon.

bevischief
07-10-2021, 12:03 PM
I hope Amazon gets it.

It better be part of Prime.

In58men
07-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Amazon just does shit right. Super dialed in to customer wants and needs, super innovative, great support. I just think it would be light years ahead of DirecTV (the bar is low).

ESPN+ craps out a lot during Big12 streaming and pisses me off. Apple’s support sucks.

It’s pretty annoying how many movies Amazon charges though.

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2021, 01:28 PM
We have the Apple TV+ app on six Roku TV's and it works flawlessly.

No reason to Cast.

displacedinMN
07-10-2021, 02:15 PM
Great. How much will a game eat up data and hit streaming caps?

banyon
07-10-2021, 04:57 PM
I used to do Sunday ticket to watch the :Chiefs: but now that the chiefs score so much, much easier to get YoutubeTV with Redzone for extra $10

Chief Pagan
07-10-2021, 08:03 PM

YouTube TV has been pretty good except they've jacked the price up to point where there's no saving in my case over doing a Comcast bundle.

Amazon had a couple of Thursday night games and I checked one out at one point rather late and was annoyed to find out it was only offered live so I could no longer watch it.

So I hope Amazon doesn't get an exclusive on Thursday or they change their business model. But I haven't been able to delay watch Sunday Ticket with Direct and I don't suppose that's going to change when somebody else gets the contract.

But it would be nice to watch a game in around sixty minutes instead of spending 3+ hours...

EPodolak
07-11-2021, 07:44 AM
YouTube TV has been pretty good except they've jacked the price up to point where there's no saving in my case over doing a Comcast bundle.

Amazon had a couple of Thursday night games and I checked one out at one point rather late and was annoyed to find out it was only offered live so I could no longer watch it.

So I hope Amazon doesn't get an exclusive on Thursday or they change their business model. But I haven't been able to delay watch Sunday Ticket with Direct and I don't suppose that's going to change when somebody else gets the contract.

But it would be nice to watch a game in around sixty minutes instead of spending 3+ hours...

Rarely watch live Chiefs games, record it on the DTV genie and skip through the downtime.

Stryker
07-11-2021, 03:52 PM
I don’t think so. AppleTV+ is on a lot of different platforms now. Including Roku and LG TVs.

Sweet! I have both.

cdcox
07-11-2021, 07:28 PM
I watch most Chiefs games over DirecTV and participate in the CP game thread. I don't have any noticeable lag.

displacedinMN
07-11-2021, 07:58 PM
I watch most Chiefs games over DirecTV and participate in the CP game thread. I don't have any noticeable lag.

I never had over DTV.

Last year, most games were on locally, DTV was a waste. Necessary Evil.