PDA

View Full Version : Misc People “returning their pets” after the pandemic

banyon
07-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Seriously, you guys know people like this? These were not a rental.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dogs are being returned to shelters and adoption agencies in the U.S. after restrictions were lifted and people began to go back to work <a href="https://t.co/OALJcB4hgh">https://t.co/OALJcB4hgh</a> <a href="https://t.co/PVy2A5jSzM">pic.twitter.com/PVy2A5jSzM</a></p>&mdash; Reuters (@Reuters) <a href="https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1413270420606701570?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

displacedinMN
07-09-2021, 08:14 PM
People are selfish. News at 11.

Titty Meat
07-09-2021, 08:15 PM
People are so trash

RealSNR
07-09-2021, 08:15 PM
We adopted a cat over the pandemic, and this thought never once crossed our minds.

It’s sad, because shelters need people to take these animals, but too many dipshits out there just don’t get the responsibility that comes with pet ownership.

What’s even worse is I’ll bet ten bucks the majority of these people returning their pets are families with children.

Bump
07-09-2021, 08:23 PM
that's sad and really shitty

DaneMcCloud
What kind of asshole could "return" a pet?

It's too bad those pets can't return their humans.

Deberg_1990
I guess its better than dumping them out in the woods

But yes, fuck these people.

R8RFAN
scumbags

staylor26
07-09-2021, 08:52 PM
Fuck these pieces of shit :cuss:

PHOG
07-09-2021, 08:54 PM
Sleezeballs

Rainbarrel
07-09-2021, 08:59 PM
The food pantries have less demand for peanut butter now.

kcpasco
07-09-2021, 09:03 PM
I just adopted a new pup so my other dog has a buddy as I work more. People are selfish.

Pablo
07-09-2021, 09:25 PM
scumbags

Sounds like a bunch of Raiders fans.

Buehler445
07-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Dogs are better than people in many cases.

displacedinMN
07-09-2021, 09:37 PM
Wonder if anyone that adopted a kid wants to return it.

Why Not?
07-09-2021, 10:04 PM

This. I can't believe this is a thing in the world. Some people suck.

Coochie liquor
07-09-2021, 10:13 PM

We just rescued a Great Dane from the SPCA. There was a dog there that was 8-9 years old. It’s owner had him his whole life, and the guy took in a roommate who had a cat. The guys dog didn’t get along with his new roommates cat so the guy took his dog of 8-9 years to the shelter. It was heartbreaking, and my oldest daughter was crying for the poor dog, but knew she couldn’t take it home.

stumppy
07-09-2021, 10:49 PM
We just rescued a Great Dane from the SPCA. There was a dog there that was 8-9 years old. It’s owner had him his whole life, and the guy took in a roommate who had a cat. The guys dog didn’t get along with his new roommates cat so the guy took his dog of 8-9 years to the shelter. It was heartbreaking, and my oldest daughter was crying for the poor dog, but knew she couldn’t take it home.

I never could understand how people could do that to their pet after having them for years.

My dog is family, end of fucking story.

listopencil
07-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Dogs are better than people in many cases.

I don't trust people who don't like dogs, but I'd trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Clyde Frog
07-10-2021, 12:36 AM
I don't trust people who don't like dogs, but I'd trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

This 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedChief
07-10-2021, 02:59 AM
I never could understand how people could do that to their pet after having them for years.

My dog is family, end of ****ing story.I'd risk my life to go back into the burning building to get my dogs. They are family. Period.You don't return your family to a cage and walk away.

Willie Lanier
07-10-2021, 03:47 AM

It's fucking tragic, but I know of a person who did just that...

I guess technically it was foster care but still...

Garbage individual

Jewish Rabbi
07-10-2021, 04:57 AM
I hope these people die!!!

rtmike
07-10-2021, 05:03 AM
Humans suck!

JD10367
07-10-2021, 05:19 AM
We foster for a cat rescue and we've been VERY selective adopting out during the pandemic, for this very reason. We knew this would happen, as soon as all the out-of-work assholes got tired of taking care of their new cat or dog.

This thread is why I rooted for the virus.

Well, this thread, and Jets fans.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-10-2021, 05:58 AM

The first dog my wife and I adopted was returned as a puppy. We had her for 13 great years.

We adopted a lab/pit bull puppy in January who someone adopted, then decided he couldn't handle the responsibility of after a week.

TambaBerry
07-10-2021, 06:31 AM
I bet 95% of the people who returned their pet also posted on social media pictures of them with said pet saying things like how much they love their animal. Fucking scumbags

ChiTown
07-10-2021, 08:12 AM
Why can’t human beings be just a little more like the dogs that love them unconditionally. This makes my stomach turn.

burt
07-10-2021, 08:18 AM

Why, you lookin' for one???

MahomesMagic
07-10-2021, 08:35 AM
Animals > People.

displacedinMN
07-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Why, you lookin' for one???
Hell no.

I become an empty nester on Aug 21!!!!!!!!

Skyy God
07-10-2021, 08:41 AM
Can we return Deberg as a Chiefs fan??

Skyy God
07-10-2021, 08:44 AM
Getting a puppy in a couple weeks.

Kinda regretting not adopting, but he looks super cute and supposedly has a great personality.

stumppy
07-10-2021, 08:46 AM
I'd risk my life to go back into the burning building to get my dogs. They are family. Period.You don't return your family to a cage and walk away.

Same here.
stumppy is the name of my dog when I joined CP and my av pic is my current buddy, Dodger.

DJJasonp
07-10-2021, 08:47 AM
saw a story the other day where someone left an 8 week puppy in a mailbox for someone to find.

You have to worry about people who have such disregard for life.....

CatfishBob2
07-10-2021, 08:48 AM
Why can’t human beings be just a little more like the dogs that love them unconditionally. This makes my stomach turn.

QFT......

Why Not?
07-10-2021, 08:55 AM
I'd risk my life to go back into the burning building to get my dogs. They are family. Period.You don't return your family to a cage and walk away.

No debate about it. This is why I’ll never understand when people say shit like “I had to move and I couldn’t bring my pet with me” or “I just couldn’t afford to take care of my pet anymore”.

WTF? I get tough life/bad luck scenarios. To me (and most here it appears) whatever solution I would need to come up with to right my situation would have to include my animals. Otherwise it’s not an option. It’s not even open for discussion. My pets will pass one day with my family by their sides. I don’t give a shit if we all lived in a ditch together.

burt
07-10-2021, 09:42 AM
No debate about it. This is why I’ll never understand when people say shit like “I had to move and I couldn’t bring my pet with me” or “I just couldn’t afford to take care of my pet anymore”.

WTF? I get tough life/bad luck scenarios. To me (and most here it appears) whatever solution I would need to come up with to right my situation would have to include my animals. Otherwise it’s not an option. It’s not even open for discussion. My pets will pass one day with my family by their sides. I don’t give a shit if we all lived in a ditch together.My son is homeless, by choice. I call him a hobo because he gets around the country by hopping freight trains. They call themselves "travelers" or "dirty kids". Obviously he has a shoestring budget. His dog eats better than he does, sometimes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210710/0c621b28804d74116d8d6a48ad7b4fb7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210710/8cec0c24c89c92d37e40ad1350291a1f.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

bevischief
07-10-2021, 10:36 AM
Yes this happening I see it just about every Saturday. My part time job on Saturday is next door to a pet rescue.

Buehler445
07-10-2021, 11:55 AM

Yep.

Couple months ago I was going through a blind intersection and some a feedyard pickup ran the stop sign and TBoned me pretty bad. I was OK. Seatbelt. All the airbags. Crumple zone. All of it saved my ass. Dog was in the passenger seat and is fortunately fine too, despite being 11 years old and kind of stoved up.

Obviously their fault since they blew the stop, but normally I look a half mile out. Close calls like that really put shit in perspective, and I’m not sure if I could have lived with myself if something would have happened to the dog. He got lots of loves after that.

Bowser
07-10-2021, 11:58 AM
People can be just the worst

gblowfish
07-10-2021, 03:20 PM
The KC Pet project is slammed right now. They're looking for people who can foster for a few weeks, or outright adopt. Adoption fees have been lowered. They're desperate. Not only are there a bumper crop of puppies and kittens, but they've been bringing in animals from other "kill shelters" so these animals won't be put down just because they can't find a home. Really sad. If I were retired I'd foster for sure, but I'm not to the point where I can do that yet.

Titty Meat
07-10-2021, 03:26 PM
The KC Pet project is slammed right now. They're looking for people who can foster for a few weeks, or outright adopt. Adoption fees have been lowered. They're desperate. Not only are there a bumper crop of puppies and kittens, but they've been bringing in animals from other "kill shelters" so these animals won't be put down just because they can't find a home. Really sad. If I were retired I'd foster for sure, but I'm not to the point where I can do that yet.

Going to look into fostering. Thanks

banyon
07-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a bunch of Raiders fans.

Rep

EPodolak
07-10-2021, 07:01 PM
Looks like all the good posts have already been taken. Glad CP feels as strongly as I do.

HonestChieffan
07-10-2021, 07:46 PM
KC Shelters are over run

Hopefully the delta variant will get them some relief

alpha_omega
07-10-2021, 07:51 PM
I’m not a pet person but that’s pretty reprehensible.

Marcellus
07-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Way worse than what Frank Clark ever did. Fuck these assholes.

CoMoChief
07-11-2021, 12:23 AM
Sad.

I myself have zero empathy towards cats. I think they're some of the worst pets one could have unless it's a barn cat used for pest control. JMO.

Can't see how anyone with a soul could do that to a dog though. Dogs mostly show humans how to unconditionally love. Those who do this are simply empty and heartless.

kcpasco
07-11-2021, 02:15 AM
Sad.

I myself have zero empathy towards cats. I think they're some of the worst pets one could have unless it's a barn cat used for pest control. JMO.

Can't see how anyone with a soul could do that to a dog though. Dogs mostly show humans how to unconditionally love. Those who do this are simply empty and heartless.

I know the stigma is it’s not manly to like a cat but my cat is cool. He’s very vocal sometimes and is as friendly as my 2 dogs.

CatfishBob2
07-11-2021, 05:30 AM
No stigma to it, I despise cats. The only things my cats do are eat and redecorate the house. However one got out recently and kinda scared me more than I thought it would.

As far as the topic. I guess I have to be that guy because I must be missing something. People are returning pets to shelters to be fed and potentially re-adopted and people are vile scum? I have more disdain for those who fight dogs. Or doesn't feed them and leaves them chained or crated for 23 hours a day.

Scooter LaCanforno
07-11-2021, 07:53 AM
Anyone returning a pet should be put on a countrywide database ban list. They should never be able to adopt or purchase a pet again. My local shelter here in Florida had all pets adopted during the pandemic. It now has over a 1000 animals.

RINGLEADER
07-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Scummy.

Why Not?
07-11-2021, 03:11 PM
I know the stigma is it’s not manly to like a cat but my cat is cool. He’s very vocal sometimes and is as friendly as my 2 dogs.

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs and all 4 of them are fucking awesome!

Don't give much of a shit about the tortoise but my kids love her, so she stays.

Why Not?
07-11-2021, 03:18 PM
As far as the topic. I guess I have to be that guy because I must be missing something. People are returning pets to shelters to be fed and potentially re-adopted and people are vile scum?.

It's one thing, and there is an example of this in an earlier post, to adopt a pet and after a few days or a week realize there was more to it than you thought and return the pet. Impulsive and you should've done your research? Yes, but at least understandable and somewhat mature.

It's another thing to adopt a pet during a pandemic so you have a companion and some entertainment and then return that animal months or a year later when you go back to work. Cats and especially dogs bond emotionally with their human family. This is evidenced based. They basically fall in love and feel safe around us. To abandon them after they've formed that connection is every bit as ****ed up as the other horrors you pointed out, at least in my opinion.

Bwana
07-11-2021, 03:41 PM
This is something I really can't understand. Dropping a dog off at a shelter is something I could never do, my dogs are part of my family. To do something like that to something that gives you unconditional love, is beyond shitty.

chiefzilla1501
07-11-2021, 03:54 PM
No stigma to it, I despise cats. The only things my cats do are eat and redecorate the house. However one got out recently and kinda scared me more than I thought it would.

As far as the topic. I guess I have to be that guy because I must be missing something. People are returning pets to shelters to be fed and potentially re-adopted and people are vile scum? I have more disdain for those who fight dogs. Or doesn't feed them and leaves them chained or crated for 23 hours a day.

It's not like returning a toaster. Toasters don't get attached to their owners and emotionally ****ed up. There are reasons to return a dog. But most of these returns are people who just won't accept the responsibility and that's unacceptable and if it's not a fit, act quickly before it gets attached. You should know going in if you can't handle it. A dog is a responsibility not a hobby.

Rain Man
07-11-2021, 04:13 PM
Sad.

Cats are awesome. They're basically dogs that are self-reliant.

EPodolak
07-11-2021, 04:48 PM

Used to be a dog person only. Being around other peoples' cats came to realize they have most of the best qualities of dogs, and a few of their own. Eventually I adopted my own Himalayan and had her for 12 years, was devastated when Pablo died. The wife is currently getting allergy shots so we can get another.

ThaVirus
07-11-2021, 04:59 PM

I think there's a bit of a heirarchy here:

1. Normal people who realize adopting/buying a pet is for (the animal's) life

2. People who buy a pet and then find it a new home with a friend, family member, acquaintance, etc.

3. People who buy a pet only to bring it to a shelter some time later

4. People who abuse pets

It's subjective but I'd consider anyone in the 3 or 4 camps as sort of scummy.

Lzen
07-11-2021, 07:06 PM
Some people just suck. I can't fathom doing something like this. My dogs are like my kids. Hell, instead of giving away, I'm adding a 4th next week. Poor guy had a rough life from what were told. He's around 8 so I figure he only has maybe 2-4 years. But hey, at least I will give him a loving home. I have a soft spot for dogs but especially boxers.

R Clark
07-11-2021, 08:07 PM
I think there's a bit of a heirarchy here:

1. Normal people who realize adopting/buying a pet is for (the animal's) life

2. People who buy a pet and then find it a new home with a friend, family member, acquaintance, etc.

3. People who buy a pet only to bring it to a shelter some time later

4. People who abuse pets

It's subjective but I'd consider anyone in the 3 or 4 camps as sort of scummy.

Sort of scummy ?

Buehler445
07-11-2021, 10:22 PM
This is something I really can't understand. Dropping a dog off at a shelter is something I could never do, my dogs are part of my family. To do something like that to something that gives you unconditional love, is beyond shitty.

Agreed.

I will caveat though that there are cases in which it doesn’t work out. Aggression/kids/can’t provide stimulation kind of reasons to return a dog. But that’s typically sorted out early on. Very early on. Definitely not a year in.

RealSNR
07-11-2021, 11:32 PM
Sad.

Show us on the doll where the cat touched you.

Titty Meat
07-12-2021, 03:27 AM
Some people just suck. I can't fathom doing something like this. My dogs are like my kids. Hell, instead of giving away, I'm adding a 4th next week. Poor guy had a rough life from what were told. He's around 8 so I figure he only has maybe 2-4 years. But hey, at least I will give him a loving home. I have a soft spot for dogs but especially boxers.

Hes a cutie congrats on the newest member of your fam

Mosbonian
07-12-2021, 04:01 AM
It's ****ing tragic, but I know of a person who did just that...

I guess technically it was foster care but still...

Garbage individual

Adoptive parents "returning " kids occurs more than you might think.

morphius
07-12-2021, 06:19 AM
I could see it, get a high energy dog that you are home with all the time, then start "abandoning" (cause that is how the dog suddenly feels) for 9 hours a day and they start to reek havoc throughout the house while you are gone. Crap and piss all over themselves if you put them in kennels cause they don't have the bladder control to wait all day for you to come home. You get overwhelmed, feel what you are doing to the animal is almost abuse, etc, etc.

Not something I would do, we are on our 4th rescued/shelter pet, she is ours and we are hers now, and not something we would ever give up.

morphius
07-12-2021, 06:38 AM

Maybe he hates that "your" dog will love you no matter what you do while you have to earn a cats trust, and even then they still have the ability to choose to love you or not. We have had a couple cats that will follow you around like a dog, always want to be by your side. Leaving a large thing of food and some water and being gone for a few days is nothing for our cat. We used to have to kennel our dog, and she hated it, it was awful and she would whine till she lost her voice. She just couldn't stand to not be near her people, didn't matter which kennel.

ThaVirus
07-12-2021, 07:23 AM
Sort of scummy ?

People are pretty complex. I don't want to say someone is a scumbag just because they brought an animal back to the shelter, but it's definitely borderline scummy behavior. It just shows a complete lack of foresight and compassion for a living thing.

stevieray
07-12-2021, 08:13 AM
oh look, a thread where pets hold more value than people.

IowaHawkeyeChief
07-12-2021, 08:20 AM

or a thread that talks about shitty selfish people who care only about their own wants and needs...

stevieray
07-12-2021, 08:32 AM
or a thread that talks about shitty selfish people who care only about their own wants and needs...

that too...

Current culture is chock full of people dying to out noble each other.

ThaVirus
07-12-2021, 09:12 AM

What are you crying about, you big baby?

stevieray
07-12-2021, 09:13 AM
What are you crying about, you big baby?

try harder.

burt
07-12-2021, 03:09 PM
that too...

Current culture is chock full of people dying to out noble each other.

1) I wouldn't do too good at that contest.

2) "dying ain't much of a way to make a living"

Rausch
07-12-2021, 04:01 PM
It fucking amazes me how selfish people have become.

Gen X really was the worst generation of parents in the last 80 years...

Rausch
07-12-2021, 04:02 PM

Pets value people more than people do...

CatfishBob2
07-12-2021, 04:19 PM
Pets value people more than people do...

Point proven with this thread

BWillie
07-12-2021, 04:47 PM

If pets were as powerful as humans, and humans were as powerful as pets they would have ate us already.

Humans are one of the most benevolent creatures on this planet, if not the most benevolent ones. It's odd to me how much we always like to say how bad humans are, how evil we are. 99.9% of us co-exist peacefully. Same cannot be said in the animal kingdom.

If my cat was the size of me, It would eat me when I turn around.

alanm
07-12-2021, 05:14 PM
My dogs are my kids. I could never EVER abandon them. Under any circumstance. I'd make sure they would go to family or friends before the pound any day. One a Shih Tzu we got from the pound the day right before he was to be put down. He was a big mass of matted hair and the day I brought him home he was so scared he would not come out of the bedroom. I spent the weekend in the bedroom making him feel at ease and at home. Had him groomed the following Monday and that transformed him into a totally different dog. He was supposedly only a yr and a half old when we got him and we've had him now for 10 yrs. The other one a Wire haired terrier mix the wife took from a friend who was moving and couldn't take him with her. He was 4 1/2 at the time and he's now 20. :eek: He's still kicking pretty good. He's developed a cough recently, his heart, and now on medication. But he's doing ok. The 3rd the old lady spotted at a garage sale who was in a hamster cage and she could not leave her there. A terrier/chihuahua mix. She was no bigger than your fist at the time and 8 wks old. She's turned into a Alpha female mouthy little thing who back talks her Daddy all the time. But she's Daddy's girl and she knows it. I don't know what I would do without them. I know I could never put them back in a pound. :shake:

Lzen
07-13-2021, 07:35 AM

C'mon, Steve. You know I like you and most times agree with your takes. But don't you think this is a bit over the top?

Bearcat
07-13-2021, 09:30 AM
Don't dump your kid's goldfish into a lake or else it'll grow and take over the world and destroy us all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2021/07/11/minnesota-goldfish-invasive/

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/7E2G5JUNBBAH7LP2CQIBCRQ3OE.jpeg

Titty Meat
07-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Animals > Steve ray

RaiderH8r
07-13-2021, 12:48 PM
As the old saw goes. Put your dog and your wife in the trunk then drove around for 30 minutes. Open the trunk and see who still loves you.

Mennonite
07-13-2021, 01:02 PM
It ****ing amazes me how selfish people have become.

Gen X really was the worst generation of parents in the last 80 years...

Do you think pets, in general, are treated more humanly now, or say, 50 years ago?

Lzen
07-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Don't dump your kid's goldfish into a lake or else it'll grow and take over the world and destroy us all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2021/07/11/minnesota-goldfish-invasive/

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/7E2G5JUNBBAH7LP2CQIBCRQ3OE.jpeg

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Had no idea. I wonder how they taste. :hmmm:

Mennonite
07-13-2021, 01:21 PM

Google days that they are a type of carp.

Lzen
07-13-2021, 01:47 PM
Google days that they are a type of carp.

Oh, that makes sense. They look like a carp. I've never had carp but I hear it doesn't taste so good.

Rausch
07-13-2021, 02:07 PM
Do you think pets, in general, are treated more humanly now, or say, 50 years ago?

That's a good question...

Demonpenz
07-13-2021, 02:54 PM
I got couple work dogs to help me at my job. Some of the dogs need to be culled to have the best chance of being Lab of the year

ModSocks
07-13-2021, 03:18 PM
This thread is fucking hilarious.

So none of you can imagine a situation in which someone, in full faith adopted a pet with the best interest of the pet in mind, and their situation changed to where they can no longer provide a stable home and the attention the dog needs?

Some of ya'll act like these people just dropped these animals with no remorse, no care, no fucks given.

I'm willing to bet a good majority of them wouldn't have taken them back if they could help it, and that most of them didn't want to give the animal up, and i'd wager there were a lot of tears involved when the pets were dropped off too.

Ya'll in here acting like all people are wreckless animal abusers and shit.

And the line about, "you wouldn't do this to a human" or some shit is hilarious. I mean, did we forget foster homes exist? Group homes? Yeah, sorry, but Humans dump off other humans all the fucking time. Hell, the people who dropped off their pets probably shed more tears over their animals than some of these foster parents (and real parents for that matter) ever did.

Lzen
07-14-2021, 10:02 AM
This thread is ****ing hilarious.

So none of you can imagine a situation in which someone, in full faith adopted a pet with the best interest of the pet in mind, and their situation changed to where they can no longer provide a stable home and the attention the dog needs?

Some of ya'll act like these people just dropped these animals with no remorse, no care, no ****s given.

I'm willing to bet a good majority of them wouldn't have taken them back if they could help it, and that most of them didn't want to give the animal up, and i'd wager there were a lot of tears involved when the pets were dropped off too.

And the line about, "you wouldn't do this to a human" or some shit is hilarious. I mean, did we forget foster homes exist? Group homes? Yeah, sorry, but Humans dump off other humans all the ****ing time. Hell, the people who dropped off their pets probably shed more tears over their animals than some of these foster parents (and real parents for that matter) ever did.

Oh sure, there probably is a percentage of those people in that situation. And you're right, it doesn't necessarily make them bad people. But this piece makes it sound as though many of these people adopted pets because they were stuck home during the pandemic and wanted/needed a companion. But now that they are allowed to go out in public and/or back to work, they don't want the pets or can no longer give them the time. To that I would say they should have thought of that before adopting a pet.

ThaVirus
07-14-2021, 10:27 AM
This thread is fucking hilarious.

Some of ya'll act like these people just dropped these animals with no remorse, no care, no fucks given.

And the line about, "you wouldn't do this to a human" or some shit is hilarious. I mean, did we forget foster homes exist? Group homes? Yeah, sorry, but Humans dump off other humans all the fucking time. Hell, the people who dropped off their pets probably shed more tears over their animals than some of these foster parents (and real parents for that matter) ever did.

I'm sure there is a portion of people who actually fell on hard times, but for the majority, it's likely poor planning.

Apparently this sort of thing happens frequently. People have an experience that makes them want a new pet (COVID stay-at-home, blockbuster movie, holiday), they get a pet, and shortly after, once they find that said pet is more work than originally anticipated, they return them in droves.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/harry-potter-fans-abandoned-owls-england_n_1537056

Animal sanctuaries in England are caring for hundreds of pet owls that were abandoned by their owners in the past year, a disturbing trend rescuers believe is linked to the end of the “Harry Potter” series.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/14/us/after-movies-unwanted-dalmatians.html

Animal shelters around the country have reported sharp increases in the number of unwanted Dalmatian dogs this year, many of them given to children as gifts last Christmas after the release of Disney's remake of the movie ''101 Dalmatians.'' Although nationwide figures are not available, some shelters say they have seen the number of abandoned dogs more than double and that they fear the problem will only grow worse with the new ''101 Dalmatians'' television program on ABC.

In South Florida, where animal control officers in Dade and Broward Counties say they have seen up to a 35 percent increase in Dalmatian returns

eDave
07-14-2021, 10:27 AM
A lot of turds still getting new pets from breeders and such, knowing full well that shelters are full up.

HayWire
07-19-2021, 12:22 PM
I hate to admit it.... I've had to give up a pet due to circumstances out of my control. It sucks but it happens.

That said, I love animals...had a bunch of dogs and cats all my life but I've always been torn. Why in the hell would you intentionally get an animal that will die before you and break your heart? I don't understand but I keep doing it.

Been a while but this thread got me thinking. My new pup is a rescue. He's 10 months and never been out of a kennel.

Very well behaved but awkward because of his past.

Poor guy doesn't know what to think when he gets to sleep in bed with us.
https://i.ibb.co/6w9QKD7/IMG-20210718-163934.jpg (https://ibb.co/V9n6FMc)

RealSNR
07-19-2021, 05:21 PM
Again, this isn't about people forced to give up their pets due to falling on hard times.

A huge percentage of these animals were acquired during the pandemic. When times were tough. For most of the people returning their pets, they haven't fallen on tough times or had to decide between feeding their dog or paying for their rent that month.

It's talking about the buttfucking morons who got an animal when it was convenient, and now that they're busy and out of the house, they find caring for the animal to be an inconvenience. As if going back to work just sort of suddenly happened and they had no way of seeing it coming.

Bob Dole
07-19-2021, 05:45 PM
Again, this isn't about people forced to give up their pets due to falling on hard times.

A huge percentage of these animals were acquired during the pandemic. When times were tough. For most of the people returning their pets, they haven't fallen on tough times or had to decide between feeding their dog or paying for their rent that month.

It's talking about the butt****ing morons who got an animal when it was convenient, and now that they're busy and out of the house, they find caring for the animal to be an inconvenience. As if going back to work just sort of suddenly happened and they had no way of seeing it coming.

I can't even imagine giving up my dog. These people have no soul.

Bob Dole
07-19-2021, 05:50 PM

I imagine they taste like carp.

There was one at least that big in a pond near our house when I was a kid. We tried for years to catch the damned thing and failed.

vailpass
07-19-2021, 08:42 PM
I hate to admit it.... I've had to give up a pet due to circumstances out of my control. It sucks but it happens.

That said, I love animals...had a bunch of dogs and cats all my life but I've always been torn. Why in the hell would you intentionally get an animal that will die before you and break your heart? I don't understand but I keep doing it.

Been a while but this thread got me thinking. My new pup is a rescue. He's 10 months and never been out of a kennel.

Very well behaved but awkward because of his past.

Poor guy doesn't know what to think when he gets to sleep in bed with us.
https://i.ibb.co/6w9QKD7/IMG-20210718-163934.jpg (https://ibb.co/V9n6FMc)
Yep, that absolutely happens. I got a Malinois 5 months ago and was on the brink of not being able to keep him even though I’d engaged a trainer. He’s so high energy. But I love him too much, he’s my boy and not going anywhere. And he’s a bad ass good boy.