PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Melvin Ingram…

BuckeyeTheDog
07-14-2021, 08:28 PM
Signing 32yo, knee surgery Melvin Ingram…

Yes or no?

What say you?

tredadda
07-14-2021, 08:31 PM
Sure, why not, especially if Clark is out for any length of time as long as he doesn't try and demand too much money. Also who is in your Avatar?

PurpleJesus28
07-14-2021, 08:33 PM
Thats gotta be Katy Perry,me thinks.

Direckshun
07-14-2021, 08:49 PM
More.

Edge.

Rushers.

Gadzooks
07-14-2021, 08:54 PM
Injury prone impact player with alligator arms.

Bowser
07-14-2021, 10:50 PM
Injury prone impact player with alligator arms.

More impactful on the field than an Uzi toting dumbass that potentially gets suspended

Titty Meat
07-14-2021, 11:02 PM
Broke dick no thanks

MahomesMagic
07-15-2021, 05:58 AM
Yes.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-15-2021, 07:39 AM
I'd rather bring in Houston to finish his career in KC, but obviously that isn't going to happen. A lot of people hate the guy but obviously playing for Sutton just wore on him to the point he lost his mojo. He's been healthy and productive in Indy the past 2 years.

Ingram is really all that's left. If Clark misses any significant time we at least need bodies to throw out there who know what they're doing.

lawrenceRaider
07-15-2021, 08:41 AM
Raiders taking a pass with Ingram's last DC being in the know might tell you if Ingram has anything left or not.

CasselGotPeedOn
07-15-2021, 08:46 AM
Yeah the Raiders are known for making really good decisions....

Chris Meck
07-15-2021, 09:02 AM
Depends entirely on whether or not he's healthy enough to go.

We could use some outside pass rush help.

Shaid
07-15-2021, 09:08 AM
Him or Houston, we do need another body there.

Red Dawg
07-15-2021, 09:30 AM
Oh, Hell yes!

TEX
07-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Yeah the Raiders are known for making really good decisions....

:doh!: Exactly!

htismaqe
07-15-2021, 10:40 AM
https://www.nfl.com/news/melvin-ingram-to-chiefs-mitchell-schwartz-to-steelers-logical-fits-for-remaining

Melvin Ingram to Chiefs? Mitchell Schwartz to Steelers? Logical fits for remaining free agents

Here's her analysis of Ingram to the Chiefs. She also talked about Houston later in the article. I'd rather have Ingram at this point - if you're taking a wild shot out of left field, might as well swing for the fences.

Last season, Kansas City pressured opposing quarterbacks on just 23.3 percent of dropbacks (23rd in NFL, per Next Gen Stats). While some of that was due to strategic decision-making, it was still uncharacteristic of a Steve Spagnuolo defense -- and definitely not a high-probability method for stopping opposing passers.

While Ingram has missed a dozen games over the past two season -- likely the biggest cause of him still being a free agent -- he didn't miss a single start from 2015 through '18. One measurement I like to study with pass rushers is burst, which is the speed someone is able to reach in the first 3 yards traveled. Not first 3 yards forward, but total yards traveled -- an NFL head coach asked me to clarify this, so it's a point well taken. Anyhow, in the games Ingram has played in over the past two seasons, his burst has ranked as high as fourth-fastest among edge rushers, but it hasn't been a consistent figure, which suggests the injuries have indeed been a factor. In Ingram's first four seasons, the consistency in his burst metric ranked in the top 10 percent among edge rushers. And his fourth-quarter drop-off (to approximate fatigue) was fifth-lowest in the league. In other words, if Ingram is right, the potential for production is strong.

I feel like many people don't realize that Houston has posted eight-plus sacks in each of the past four seasons. But not you and I -- we know it! That said, when it comes to pass-rushing effectiveness, sacks aren't the end all, be all.

If I had to use one metric to judge pass rushers, I'd go with pressures. And I've been working on two sub-metrics that I'm calling "key pressures" and "assist pressures." Key pressures are the ones that are play/drive-ending, so sacks are included. Meanwhile, assist pressures ... well, think about how Aaron Donald routinely gets triple-teamed, creating more space for teammates to generate pressure.

Now, I haven't gotten through the whole multi-year model yet -- you know your girl won't dabble in too-small sample sizes -- but I can tell you that Houston generated 23 key pressures as a Colt in 2020, which placed him in the top 30 percent of edge rushers last season. Next Gen Stats show that Houston posted an 11.7 pressure percentage on third down last season, ranking 25th among 62 players with at least 100 third-down rushes. This stuff is key when it comes to my pairing of Houston with the Falcons, who only pressured opposing QBs on 31.1 percent of third-down dropbacks in 2020 (ranking 22nd, per NGS).

mkp785
07-15-2021, 11:18 AM
I still wanna buy low on Danielle Hunter from the Vikes. He hates it there and has been unavailable for most of the off season for them. He was a MONSTER the last time he played and was healthy.

They might just wanna cut bait and will take w/e for him.

htismaqe
07-15-2021, 11:19 AM
I still wanna buy low on Danielle Hunter from the Vikes. He hates it there and has been unavailable for most of the off season for them. He was a MONSTER the last time he played and was healthy.

They might just wanna cut bait and will take w/e for him.

Maybe they'll trade him for Frank Clark.

ROFL

mkp785
07-15-2021, 11:20 AM
Maybe they'll trade him for Frank Clark.

ROFL

:hmmm:

I like your thinking lol.

frozenchief
07-15-2021, 12:33 PM
If the price is right and he’s healthy, why not take a 1 year flyer in him?

Peter Gibbons
07-15-2021, 12:39 PM
I'd rather bring in Houston to finish his career in KC, but obviously that isn't going to happen. A lot of people hate the guy but obviously playing for Sutton just wore on him to the point he lost his mojo. He's been healthy and productive in Indy the past 2 years.

Ingram is really all that's left. If Clark misses any significant time we at least need bodies to throw out there who know what they're doing.

My concern with JH is that while playing well in Indy, he was invisible for them during the playoffs (like he was for the Chiefs many times as well). I am not sure we need more regular season heroes that disappear in January.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-15-2021, 01:52 PM
My concern with JH is that while playing well in Indy, he was invisible for them during the playoffs (like he was for the Chiefs many times as well). I am not sure we need more regular season heroes that disappear in January.

That definitely seems to be his thing, but at least he can stay healthy and help us win some games in the regular season.

I'm concerned Ingram wouldn't be able to disappear in the playoffs, because he wouldn't even be active by then. He's played in 20 games the past two years and has 7 sacks total, 0 of those coming in 7 games last year.

He could be healthy now, who knows. I'll trust Veach and company if they choose to sign him. Lord knows we need someone to lineup there.

htismaqe
07-15-2021, 01:56 PM
That definitely seems to be his thing, but at least he can stay healthy and help us win some games in the regular season.

I'm concerned Ingram wouldn't be able to disappear in the playoffs, because he wouldn't even be active by then. He's played in 20 games the past two years and has 7 sacks total, 0 of those coming in 7 games last year.

He could be healthy now, who knows. I'll trust Veach and company if they choose to sign him. Lord knows we need someone to lineup there.

We need warm bodies that don't cost $30M.

BossChief
07-15-2021, 02:26 PM
One would have to think that Ingram coming to KC for a visit and leaving without a deal meant he either

Failed his physical

Or

Wants too much $

Imo it’s doubtful the $ was the prime reason for him leaving without a signed contract, as you’d have to assume the parameters of a deal would have to be in place for them to fly him in and go through all of the protocols for covid without a basic mutual understanding of what he wants and what we are willing to pay.

My money is on the fact that his body is broken and is not worth the risk.

-King-
07-15-2021, 03:04 PM

How was he invisible there? He had a crucial sack when they were down 3 in the 4th quarter.

Hell, he has 3.5 sacks in his last 4 playoff games. He also generates pressure and commands double teams far more than Frank Clark

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Double team rate as an edge (x) by pass rush win rate as an edge (y) for the 2020 regular season. <br><br>Plus, by request from <a href="https://twitter.com/DaneBeavers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DaneBeavers</a>, label colors indicate 2020 cap hit (red = high). <a href="https://t.co/b0msKIdttg">pic.twitter.com/b0msKIdttg</a></p>&mdash; Seth Walder (@SethWalder) <a href="https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1351998400439455745?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Peter Gibbons
07-15-2021, 05:44 PM
How was he invisible there? He had a crucial sack when they were down 3 in the 4th quarter.

Hell, he has 3.5 sacks in his last 4 playoff games. He also generates pressure and commands double teams far more than Frank Clark

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Double team rate as an edge (x) by pass rush win rate as an edge (y) for the 2020 regular season. <br><br>Plus, by request from <a href="https://twitter.com/DaneBeavers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DaneBeavers</a>, label colors indicate 2020 cap hit (red = high). <a href="https://t.co/b0msKIdttg">pic.twitter.com/b0msKIdttg</a></p>&mdash; Seth Walder (@SethWalder) <a href="https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1351998400439455745?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I surely wasn’t endorsing that Frank Clark is a good investment either.
I am not a fan of paying big money for any DE at this point in time. Admittedly, my feelings towards JH may be jaded by the fact we wasted tons of cap space in his ass for many years while getting too little in return. I would just rather make new mistakes than repeat old ones.

TwistedChief
07-15-2021, 06:01 PM
The dislike directed at Houston is dramatically misplaced.

I'd do cartwheels down that hill Clay ran up if they sign him. The guy can still play.

Easy 6
07-15-2021, 06:17 PM

I'd do cartwheels down that hill Clay ran up if they sign him. The guy can still play.

Its strictly a gut feeling on my part, but it just kinda sorta seems like theres old, and unspoken animosities between him and this franchise

Again just a hunch, but Veach is eyeing Ingram IMO

UChieffyBugger
07-15-2021, 06:30 PM
I surely wasn’t endorsing that Frank Clark is a good investment either.
I am not a fan of paying big money for any DE at this point in time. Admittedly, my feelings towards JH may be jaded by the fact we wasted tons of cap space in his ass for many years while getting too little in return. I would just rather make new mistakes than repeat old ones.

Little in return?? 22 sacks in his last 27 games for us is little return?? :evil:

Wisconsin_Chief
07-15-2021, 07:40 PM
Little in return?? 22 sacks in his last 27 games for us is little return?? :evil:

Most people remember 3 main things about Houston:

1. His 22 sack season
2. The fact that he got the largest contract in team history at the time
3. He immediately got injured after signing that contract and was never fully the same

Even though he ended up being pretty productive, that's all people probably remember about him, and it's understandable. He got paid and then never produced to that elite level again. Hence, he gets shunned.

But now, for $5 million or so, he'd be a bargain. Not going to happen, but I certainly would love to see it.

kcbubb
07-15-2021, 07:48 PM
Why not bring Alex Okafor back cheap? He’s serviceable.

Dunerdr
07-15-2021, 08:13 PM

1. His 22 sack season
3. He immediately got injured after signing that contract and was never fully the same

Even though he ended up being pretty productive, that's all people probably remember about him, and it's understandable. He got paid and then never produced to that elite level again. Hence, he gets shunned.

But now, for $5 million or so, he'd be a bargain. Not going to happen, but I certainly would love to see it.

At this point its probably safe to assume Houston is healthier. He did get injured and its unfortunate, it disrupted his rush plan and he was never really the same. He would be a serviceable guy in limited snaps. At this point i dont care who we sign i just feel like we need some bodies.

htismaqe
07-15-2021, 08:47 PM

It's a business. We always say it but we mostly only mean it when it applies to the team.

It also applies to the player.

I don't honestly care about Justin Houston one way or another - he's no longer a Chief. The simple fact is the guy wanted his money and the Chiefs didn't think we was worth it, so they parted ways. For him, it was a business. He had a bottom dollar and he was adamant about it. Of course, a lot of them time, he played like it was a business too. That doesn't mean he wasn't good, it just means he wasn't animated and outgoing. He did his job and didn't say much about it. Honestly, in this day and age, it's kind of different to have a guy that just lets his play on the field speak for itself.

htismaqe
07-15-2021, 08:50 PM
One would have to think that Ingram coming to KC for a visit and leaving without a deal meant he either

Failed his physical

Or

Wants too much $

Imo it’s doubtful the $ was the prime reason for him leaving without a signed contract, as you’d have to assume the parameters of a deal would have to be in place for them to fly him in and go through all of the protocols for covid without a basic mutual understanding of what he wants and what we are willing to pay.

My money is on the fact that his body is broken and is not worth the risk.

It's pretty well known (and was discussed here previously) that Melvin Ingram knows what Melvin Ingram is worth. At the time, the rumors were that the Chiefs were giving out 1-year deals and Ingram wanted 2. If he would have failed a physical, we would have heard about it, guaranteed. Stuff like that doesn't stay secret in the age of social media.

TEX
07-16-2021, 09:27 AM

1. His 22 sack season

I remember one more thing, which is once paid, he (and his buddy EB) did not show for mini-camp when he was supposed to be one of the leaders of the team. I know it was "voluntary, " but leaders, lead in every situation. They don't sit...

Personally, I DO NOT want any part of Houston on this team, for that reason. Sorry, just can't get over shit like that. (But that's just me) But, I do think he could improve the team in certain situations. So, I'd be cool with it.

Titty Meat
07-16-2021, 09:33 AM
Wasnt Houstons fault the team waited until after his 22 sack season to resign him also that injury was pretty severe and a freak thing. I dont see how any of that was his fault.

With that said it really speaks volumes about out DE position were talking about 2 broke dicks tho

Rausch
07-16-2021, 09:55 AM
Personally, I DO NOT want any part of Houston on this team, for that reason. Sorry, just can't get over shit like that. (Bit that's just me) But, I do think he could improve the team in certain situations. So, I'd be cool with it.

I don't know what he is now but Houston was a closer. He absolutely owned the Chargers and until his last year to year and a half he was dependable in the last two minutes to make a play.

No, he wasn't DT but he was the closest thing we've had since DT...

TRR
07-16-2021, 12:27 PM
I don't know what he is now but Houston was a closer. He absolutely owned the Chargers and until his last year to year and a half he was dependable in the last two minutes to make a play.

No, he wasn't DT but he was the closest thing we've had since DT...

I certainly never thought of Houston as a closer; especially after his extension.

Thinking back, I always felt like he was a fake tough guy that disappeared in big moments. I remember him completely disappearing in the playoffs in 2015 and 2016, and played mediocre in the 2017 playoffs.

I think most of us are just a little jaded about the teams he was on during his time in KC. Just some soul-crushing losses that he was a part of. And to others points about Houston, it just felt that Houston’s number one priority was always Justin Houston…And maybe that’s worked out well for him.

TRR
07-16-2021, 12:34 PM
Why not bring Alex Okafor back cheap? He’s serviceable.

Too much time in the tub over the 2 years Okafor was in KC. Now with 17 games to be played…I don’t see KC re-signing him. Would he give us more than what Mike Danna offers? Probably not.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-16-2021, 12:52 PM
And to others points about Houston, it just felt that Houston’s number one priority was always Justin Houston…

This is absolutely true. He definitely was not a leader in any way shape or form, and definitely never seemed like he cared one way or another whether we won or lost. Some guys are just like that, though. It's just a job to them, and that's how they approach it.

That being said, he has still been a very productive player literally every single full season he's played, including the last two years. The problem is we wanted him to be more than he was. That wouldn't be the case now. He could just put up his 8-10 sacks and defend the run well (which he always did) and that would be more than enough to earn his keep now.

-King-
07-16-2021, 01:13 PM
This is absolutely true. He definitely was not a leader in any way shape or form, and definitely never seemed like he cared one way or another whether we won or lost. Some guys are just like that, though. It's just a job to them, and that's how they approach it.

That being said, he has still been a very productive player literally every single full season he's played, including the last two years. The problem is we wanted him to be more than he was. That wouldn't be the case now. He could just put up his 8-10 sacks and defend the run well (which he always did) and that would be more than enough to earn his keep now.
What about all the teammates and coached who said he was a great teammate and leader?

“He’s one of the best players I’ve ever had an opportunity to coach, and he’s a great guy,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “He was one of my leaders here, and he was a leader before I got here.”

You probably know better than Reid though.

ModSocks
07-16-2021, 01:17 PM
What about all the teammates and coached who said he was a great teammate and leader?

“He’s one of the best players I’ve ever had an opportunity to coach, and he’s a great guy,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “He was one of my leaders here, and he was a leader before I got here.”

Yeah that statement he made there made no sense. He was HIGHLY regarded as the leader of this defense along with Berry. We've seen the mic'd up, we've seen the pre-game speeches and rallies, we've heard and read the quotes from players and coaches.

That was a made up complaint.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-16-2021, 01:58 PM

Who said I knew better than Reid? Certainly never made that claim or even remotely implied it. I'm just saying from an outsiders perspective, he was never really a "rah-rah" kind of guy and he didn't seem to have a lot of visible fire. For a guy making $101 million, that's what a lot of fans expect, and I don't really blame them. That's all I was saying. So I guess I phrased it poorly. From my perspective, he didn't seem to be a leader. Obviously, that means jack.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a really good player. I certainly have no clue what anyone in the locker room had to say about him or his leadership. Being a leader consists of very different traits for coaches as compared to fans. I would consider Mathieu a leader because he's out there bringing energy and intensity and motivation. Behind closed doors the guy could be acting like Marcus Peters for all I know. I just watch the games and go by what I see on the field.

As I've said several times now, I've always liked the guy and would love to have him back on this team. No beef here.

Wallcrawler
07-16-2021, 02:08 PM
Houston was simply the companion piece along with Eric Berry as to why you just dont sink that much money on one player not named Patrick Mahomes. Two of the absolute worst investments KC has ever made.

That motherfucker got paid HUGE, he didnt earn it, and when time came to take less to stay, he wanted even more money.

He took his ball and went home, and we won the fucking superbowl.

Don't miss him in the slightest.

BossChief
07-16-2021, 02:18 PM
I’ll never forget that SD game when Houston and Hali both got hurt before halftime snd we’re never the same. Rivers brought them back from a huge deficit and won it on a long pass to that WR with a weird name in the final seconds.

Huge bummer.

Then Houston finally seemed to get healthy a couple years later and was dismantling Denver in the first half of a big game before hurting his knee before halftime and that was the beginning of the end.

htismaqe
07-16-2021, 02:19 PM
Yeah that statement he made there made no sense. He was HIGHLY regarded as the leader of this defense along with Berry. We've seen the mic'd up, we've seen the pre-game speeches and rallies, we've heard and read the quotes from players and coaches.

That was a made up complaint.

The complaint about him not being a rah rah guy really isn't made up though.

IMHO, that was part of the problem. You had a defense built around guys like Houston, Berry, Ford, DJ, Tamba - none of those guys were the demonstrative, swagger types like HB or Clark.

Not to say they weren't good, they were just...business-like. This team never really had any attitude when Houston was part of the core.

BossChief
07-16-2021, 02:21 PM
It's pretty well known (and was discussed here previously) that Melvin Ingram knows what Melvin Ingram is worth. At the time, the rumors were that the Chiefs were giving out 1-year deals and Ingram wanted 2. If he would have failed a physical, we would have heard about it, guaranteed. Stuff like that doesn't stay secret in the age of social media.

Melvin Ingram obviously THINKS he knows his worth, but that value is obviously inflated over the value the league has for him.

As to the “if he failed a physical we would know about it” …this front office is air tight. You almost never hear about internal stuff until it’s finalized.

htismaqe
07-16-2021, 02:22 PM
Melvin Ingram obviously THINKS he knows his worth, but that value is obviously inflated over the value the league has for him.

Of course, but you speculated that it couldn't be the reason he doesn't have a contract when it fact, it's highly likely it's the biggest reason he doesn't have a contract.

As to the “if he failed a physical we would know about it” …this front office is air tight. You almost never hear about internal stuff until it’s finalized.

Failed physicals get reported to the league. Everybody would know about it in a couple of days if not sooner.

BossChief
07-16-2021, 02:25 PM

IMHO, that was part of the problem. You had a defense built around guys like Houston, Berry, Ford, DJ, Tamba - none of those guys were the demonstrative, swagger types like HB or Clark.

Not to say they weren't good, they were just...business-like. This team never really had any attitude when Houston was part of the core.

I can’t remember what player it was, but there was a video of a little known player having to lift Houston up and motivate him during a big playoff game the year before he was cut…he never was a guy that was a leader. He was just a good player himself and that’s where it ended.

That said, I’d LOVE to have him back on a 1-2 year deal, but it’s doubtful that happens. Veach identified him as a guy that needed to go to re-build the defense…but maybe that was just a cost issue and they revisit the situation under different cost factored in.

BossChief
07-16-2021, 02:29 PM
Of course, but you speculated that it couldn't be the reason he doesn't have a contract when it fact, it's highly likely it's the biggest reason he doesn't have a contract.

Failed physicals get reported to the league. Everybody would know about it in a couple of days if not sooner.

Actually I speculated that it’s one of the 2 most likely reasons he’s still looking for a new deal…but I digress.

Due to hippa laws, failed physicals are not always reported but are typically well known in league circles. He didn’t look the same last year and had minimal production due to such. It’s possible he’s still not healthy.

Easy 6
07-16-2021, 03:00 PM

Perfectly stated

Wisconsin_Chief
07-16-2021, 03:23 PM

Exactly, thank you. Like I said, it was a job to him and it showed. When it comes to defense, you just have to be a little nasty and have some intensity, like Badger and Chris Jones. Houston simply never had that. If I'm paying a guy $101 million, I expect leadership by example and the swagger.

That's all I meant.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-16-2021, 03:28 PM
I can’t remember what player it was, but there was a video of a little known player having to lift Houston up and motivate him during a big playoff game the year before he was cut…he never was a guy that was a leader. He was just a good player himself and that’s where it ended.

That said, I’d LOVE to have him back on a 1-2 year deal, but it’s doubtful that happens. Veach identified him as a guy that needed to go to re-build the defense…but maybe that was just a cost issue and they revisit the situation under different cost factored in.

I was going to bring this up as well but couldn't remember the player. It was some backup d-lineman. Houston actually acknowledged after the game during the media session that the guy had to motivate him. Now in his defense, it had to get old playing for Bob Sutton. Still, if you're a leader, backup d-lineman shouldn't have to be motivating you.

Again though, I'd love to have the guy back. The role he would have here now would be absolutely perfect for him.

Easy 6
07-16-2021, 03:30 PM

That doesn't sway me in the least, Andy always blows smoke about former players because he's a nice guy

That said, I'm kinda coming around to the idea of bringing him back... he wouldn't need to be a leader on this team, he could just go out there, do his job, and leave the leading to Mathieu and co

-King-
07-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Exactly, thank you. Like I said, it was a job to him and it showed. When it comes to defense, you just have to be a little nasty and have some intensity, like Badger and Chris Jones. Houston simply never had that. If I'm paying a guy $101 million, I expect leadership by example and the swagger.

That's all I meant.

This is just pure fucking bullshit. There are several different types of leaders. According to coaches and players, Houston was a GREAT leader in his own way. People having different personalities doesn't make one better than the other when it comes to leading. Houston was great when it came to work ethic, when it comes to game study, and when it came to pre game hype shit.

What's funny is that literally no one questioned his leadership skills when he was here. But suddenly now that he's gone, you expected something else from him as a leader lmao.

Easy 6
07-16-2021, 03:35 PM
What's funny is that literally no one questioned his leadership skills when he was here. But suddenly now that he's gone, you expected something else from him as a leader lmao.

That isn't true, people here were souring on him long before he was let go... mostly due to his penchant for disappearing in crucial moments/games

Wisconsin_Chief
07-16-2021, 03:39 PM
This is just pure ****ing bullshit. There are several different types of leaders. According to coaches and players, Houston was a GREAT leader in his own way. People having different personalities doesn't make one better than the other when it comes to leading. Houston was great when it came to work ethic, when it comes to game study, and when it came to pre game hype shit.

That's fine. Once again, this is just my opinion and actually always was. I never saw him as much of a leader and seeing guys like Jones and Mathieu now make me realize even more that my feelings were justified. Maybe he was an off the field leader like you said, that's cool. When our defense came out flat as hell week after week it would have been nice to see him jack a few guys up and get some blood flowing. He never did. That's a fact. It's worth noting because it does indeed reflect on his overall level of leadership, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Is the guy your cousin or something? Jeesh, relax. :D

-King-
07-16-2021, 03:42 PM
That isn't true, people here were souring on him long before he was let go... mostly due to his penchant for disappearing in crucial moments/games

Imagine if Sutton didn't have him doing stupid shit like covering WRs in those moments.

RustShack
07-16-2021, 03:44 PM
Any word on if Clark gets suspended or goes to prison?

Hell sign them both. Houston and Ingram. Rotate often.

-King-
07-16-2021, 03:44 PM
Any word on if Clark gets suspended or goes to prison?

Execution scheduled for next week.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Imagine if Sutton didn't have him doing stupid shit like covering WRs in those moments.

This is also a big factor. I can imagine it had to be so tiring playing for Sutton. That's why I partially give guys like him and Berry a pass for not showing a little more intensity. It must have been very hard knowing you were always going to be put in awful positions by your coordinator.

That's another reason I'd love to see him back now that we have one of the best defensive staffs in the league and a few more alphas on defense. He'd fit in perfectly now in a lesser role.

Bowser
07-16-2021, 06:12 PM

Watching Justin Houston run down Antonio Brown 50 yards downfield after getting burned trying to cover him one-on-one will forever be burned into my memory.

Not sure which is worse - that, or losing to a Steelers team in the playoffs at home after holding them to six field goals. Just......fuck.

ThyKingdomCome15
07-16-2021, 08:23 PM
Watching Justin Houston run down Antonio Brown 50 yards downfield after getting burned trying to cover him one-on-one will forever be burned into my memory.

Not sure which is worse - that, or losing to a Steelers team in the playoffs at home after holding them to six field goals. Just......****.

The holding penalty on Fisher is forever engrained in my memory. :eek:

Bowser
07-17-2021, 12:29 AM

Yeah, that too. World class soccer flop by Harrison.

lcarus
07-17-2021, 06:19 AM

I like to think that we would have been unlikely to win that game even if we did tie it with that 2 point conversion. There was still 2:43 left, the Steelers had all 3 timeouts and a 2 minute warning, and stopping them from getting at minimum another field goal would've been tough.

It makes that bitter pill a bit easier going down lol

Also I'd rather have Houston than Ingram. I still have my Justin Houston jersey!

Meatloaf
07-17-2021, 08:42 AM
I really don’t want to see Houston on this team. I’ve only seen a few Indy games of late, and in every game I’ve seen Houston avoiding “the pile.” On one particularly memorable play the opponent was near the end zone and ran the back right up the middle. Houston did not even move in an effort to help stand the guy up. It gets messy in “the pile” and Justin was having none of it. Do not want this guy.

I’m unsure about Ingram, but aging vets too often don’t want to get down and dirty. I think I’d much rather go with a hungry young buck (Tim Ward?) than a vet looking for $$$ instead of tackles.

HARD pass on Houston.

Lukewarm pass on Ingram.

GayFrogs
07-18-2021, 03:53 AM
I like to think that we would have been unlikely to win that game even if we did tie it with that 2 point conversion. There was still 2:43 left, the Steelers had all 3 timeouts and a 2 minute warning, and stopping them from getting at minimum another field goal would've been tough.

It makes that bitter pill a bit easier going down lol

Also I'd rather have Houston than Ingram. I still have my Justin Houston jersey!

I know it's rough to bring up, but they lost that game because of smith's poor vision then drafted mahomes.

GayFrogs
07-18-2021, 03:57 AM
I really don’t want to see Houston on this team. I’ve only seen a few Indy games of late, and in every game I’ve seen Houston avoiding “the pile.” On one particularly memorable play the opponent was near the end zone and ran the back right up the middle. Houston did not even move in an effort to help stand the guy up. It gets messy in “the pile” and Justin was having none of it. Do not want this guy.

I’m unsure about Ingram, but aging vets too often don’t want to get down and dirty. I think I’d much rather go with a hungry young buck (Tim Ward?) than a vet looking for $$$ instead of tackles.

HARD pass on Houston.

Lukewarm pass on Ingram.

Houston and the rest of the defense was complacent as hell in '17 and '18, I doubt his attitude will change.

TEX
07-18-2021, 05:34 AM
This is just pure ****ing bullshit. There are several different types of leaders. According to coaches and players, Houston was a GREAT leader in his own way. People having different personalities doesn't make one better than the other when it comes to leading. Houston was great when it came to work ethic, when it comes to game study, and when it came to pre game hype shit.

Yes. Many different types... Houston was the type of leader that joins his buddy and does not report to mini camp after signing his huge contract the prior season....Hard pass on that kind of leader. **** him.

Flying High D
07-18-2021, 05:51 AM
These two need to do the Sherman door drill. Then we can properly assess which one would be best. if a door needed breached.

OKchiefs
07-18-2021, 07:12 PM
He’s visiting Pittsburgh now

-King-
07-18-2021, 07:54 PM
Yes. Many different types... Houston was the type of leader that joins his buddy and does not report to mini camp after signing his huge contract the prior season....Hard pass on that kind of leader. **** him.

That one thing really hurt you huh? Btw, they missed OTAs, and showed up at Minicamp and training camp. And that was in 2017, 2 years after signing his contract. And they had communicated this with Reid and got his approval.

But yeah, keep carrying that OTA grudge.

Titty Meat
07-18-2021, 08:11 PM
If only we sign this guy who had 0 sacks last year and Rishard Matthew's we will win it all

TEX
07-19-2021, 09:25 AM
That one thing really hurt you huh? Btw, they missed OTAs, and showed up at Minicamp and training camp. And that was in 2017, 2 years after signing his contract. And they had communicated this with Reid and got his approval.

But yeah, keep carrying that OTA grudge.

It wasn't 2 years after. I believe it was the beginning of the 2nd season after he signed the contract... It's not just one thing in the sense that it's only one thing. It is THE ONE thing any leader worth a shit is NOT supposed to do. But, as usual you missed the point...Regarding Reid, what do you think he preferred? Them being absent, or showing? He chose the path that would cause the least amount of controversy...Houston is a "ME" guy. You can make all the excuses in the world for the him if you wish.

-King-
07-19-2021, 09:43 AM
It wasn't 2 years after. I believe it was the beginning of the 2nd season after he signed the contract... It's not just one thing in the sense that it's only one thing. It is THE ONE thing any leader worth a shit is NOT supposed to do. But, as usual you missed the point...Regarding Reid, what do you think he preferred? Them being absent, or showing? He chose the path that would cause the least amount of controversy...Houston is a "ME" guy. You can make all the excuses in the world for the him if you wish.

He signed his contract in 2015. He missed OTAs in 2017.

And if Reid didn't want them to skip out, he could have said nothing at all. Instead he said it was fine for them to work out at home and that he trusted them and their work ethics.

And why do the players and coaches respect him as a player and leader so much if he's a "me" guy? Once again, are they all lying?

Titty Meat
07-19-2021, 09:59 AM

And if Reid didn't want them to skip out, he could have said nothing at all. Instead he said it was fine for them to work out at home and that he trusted them and their work ethics.

And why do the players and coaches respect him as a player and leader so much if he's a "me" guy? Once again, are they all lying?

CP has a very weird hatred for Houston and Berry

O.city
07-19-2021, 10:08 AM
Apparently the Chiefs are interested in Houston coming back? According to someone at Fox?

TEX
07-19-2021, 10:18 AM

OK - You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on those dates, and I said I thought it was the beginning of his second year after signing, so I'll defer to you on that one and acknowledge my mistake with the timeline.

Regarding Reid, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I know what he said, I also have my opinion as to why - and that is different from yours.

My main point was the Chiefs were coming off a season where they were one game away from the AFCC Game. Leaders show up. Houston didn't. Something changed in he and Berry and IMO, that was the starting point of the change. I want no part of that Justin Houston. I also said if he could help the team, then I'd just have to get over it. Not much more for me to say on the matter.

BossChief
07-19-2021, 10:52 AM
Apparently the Chiefs are interested in Houston coming back? According to someone at Fox?

That would be best case scenario for the upcoming season.

Dante84
07-19-2021, 10:53 AM

Dude, this.

New World Order
07-19-2021, 10:54 AM

That would be such a sick d-line, even without Clark.

BossChief
07-19-2021, 10:56 AM

Both of them got the biggest contracts in history for their positions snd never gave the team any ROI.

When you pay that kind of money in a cap league, you expect the results for that kind of investment…so I can understand the disappointment.

Sassy Squatch
07-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Because once they bent the team over for ridiculous contracts they became massive wastes of space, and they were the faces of that 2018 defense that cost us a Super Bowl. Fuck the both of them then, now, and forever.

New World Order
07-19-2021, 11:08 AM
I don't know how we would pay Houston though.

Guess they could offset most his cap hit to next year, but I'm not sure he would want that.

Maybe we have more cap magic?

TEX
07-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Both of them got the biggest contracts in history for their positions snd never gave the team any ROI.

When you pay that kind of money in a cap league, you expect the results for that kind of investment…so I can understand the disappointment.

Well said.

TEX
07-19-2021, 11:11 AM
Because once they bent the team over for ridiculous contracts they became massive wastes of space, and they were the faces of that 2018 defense that cost us a Super Bowl. **** the both of them then, now, and forever.

Now this is more along the lines of how I'd say it.

Dante84
07-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Because once they bent the team over for ridiculous contracts they became massive wastes of space, and they were the faces of that 2018 defense that cost us a Super Bowl. **** the both of them then, now, and forever.

Not to get crazy into it or argue, just wanting to share my perspective on it:

Contracts - Dorsey's fault
They got ****ed around with by Dorsey, who by most accounts, was kind of a egotistical POS with negotiating. We negotiated a year later than we should have, justifiably pissing the all-pro players off. Dorsey even tried to put in a weird cancer clause in Berry's contract. All that, and then Dorsey's "**** you" power move to Reid by cutting Maclin via voicemail... it leads me to believe Dorsey was the original dirtbag who created the environment and terrible contracts.

2018 Defense - Sutton's fault (and possibly Reid's, and possibly Dorsey's)
Sutton was terrible - that's on Sutton. Player development was terrible - that's also on Sutton. Sutton should have been taken out to pasture a year or two before 2018 - that's on Reid. Outside of a few core stars, the talent on defense was lacking - that's on Dorsey (yes I know it was Veach's first year). It's not Houston's fault that Sutton had him dropping into coverage.

Injuries
Injuries suck, man. But, if in the same situation, what would you do? Risk your future money (millions and millions) by tapping out? No person in their right mind would concede that amount of money. It sucked how we were strung along and led to believe Berry was "day-to-day," but that's on Chiefs PR, Med staff, and Reid. Was there disagreement between the med-staff, coaching staff, and the player about whether Berry could have played? We'll never know - and it seems like a lot of people made assumptions.

TEX
07-19-2021, 11:18 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-may-steal-melvin-ingram-away-from-chiefs/ar-AAMkq1t?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

Skyy God
07-19-2021, 11:20 AM

Houston is whatever.

I hope HoboSpirit contracts Hep D dumpster diving.

htismaqe
07-19-2021, 11:40 AM

They got ****ed around with by Dorsey, who by most accounts, was kind of a egotistical POS with negotiating. We negotiated a year later than we should have, justifiably pissing the all-pro players off. Dorsey even tried to put in a weird cancer clause in Berry's contract. All that, and then Dorsey's "**** you" power move to Reid by cutting Maclin via voicemail... it leads me to believe Dorsey was the original dirtbag who created the environment and terrible contracts.

Sutton was terrible - that's on Sutton. Player development was terrible - that's also on Sutton. Sutton should have been taken out to pasture a year or two before 2018 - that's on Reid. Outside of a few core stars, the talent on defense was lacking - that's on Dorsey (yes I know it was Veach's first year). It's not Houston's fault that Sutton had him dropping into coverage.

Injuries
Injuries suck, man. But, if in the same situation, what would you do? Risk your future money (millions and millions) by tapping out? No person in their right mind would concede that amount of money. It sucked how we were strung along and led to believe Berry was "day-to-day," but that's on Chiefs PR, Med staff, and Reid. Was there disagreement between the med-staff, coaching staff, and the player about whether Berry could have played? We'll never know - and it seems like a lot of people made assumptions.

I hate the "Sutton's fault" argument.

The same defense, with largely the same cast of characters - including Justin Houston - finished 5th, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th in scoring defense from 2013-2017.

Obviously, Sutton is not without blame but it's also readily apparent that he wasn't the only issue.

UChieffyBugger
07-19-2021, 11:49 AM

Where did you hear this?? And yes it's time for Justin to come home now.

Sassy Squatch
07-19-2021, 12:00 PM

Injuries
Yeah, those were all factors, especially Sutton being an absolutely useless sack of shit, but those two still fucked this team over both cap wise and on the field wise and were significant contributors to this team not winning a Super Bowl in 2018 so, once again, fuck the both of them then, now, and forever.

-King-
07-19-2021, 12:02 PM
Because once they bent the team over for ridiculous contracts they became massive wastes of space, and they were the faces of that 2018 defense that cost us a Super Bowl. Fuck the both of them then, now, and forever.

Houston had 2 sacks the playoff game against the colts and if not for Dee Ford, they would have been the defense that allowed only 24 points by Tom Brady.

Btw, is it fuck Chris Jones too? He was a face of that 2018 defense too.

Sassy Squatch
07-19-2021, 12:04 PM
Jones made up for his uselessness during the Super Bowl 54 run.

-King-
07-19-2021, 12:05 PM

The same defense, with largely the same cast of characters - including Justin Houston - finished 5th, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th in scoring defense from 2013-2017.

Obviously, Sutton is not without blame but it's also readily apparent that he wasn't the only issue.

2018 post season was on Dee Ford and dee Ford only. Without him the chiefs finish that game allowing only 24 points and forcing 3 Tom Brady interceptions.

-King-
07-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Jones made up for his uselessness during the Super Bowl 54 run.

I guess Houston will make up for it in his Superbowl 56 run.

Dante84
07-19-2021, 12:07 PM

Totally fair. The "bend don't break" approach worked when we had Alex at the helm, relied on the running game a bit more and needed to rely on our defense to win. After the switch to Patrick, perhaps they got complacent and stopped trying as hard since they had a plethora of points coming their way. It's clear they didn't adapt, and it's likely a mix of Sutton and a lack of veteran leadership.

To be fair, Houston was never the most vocal leader, he was more about proving it on the field. Berry was the vocal type, but his absence (again due to injury) hurt us here.

Sassy Squatch
07-19-2021, 12:07 PM
If he does then good for him. Wouldn't exactly hold my breath on it though.

TRR
07-19-2021, 12:12 PM
I wouldn’t be opposed to signing either Houston or Ingram. The more rotational pass rushers the better. Especially with Clark’s situation an unknown, and Jones transition to more DE snaps.

However…how many late signings (before/during camp) work out or produce? I get all pumped about the McCoy signing, or the Bell signing, or adding Mo Clairborne/Orlando Scandrick late. Not many produce.

Titty Meat
07-19-2021, 12:55 PM

Always love the contract argument. Who the fuck isnt going to try to make as much money as they can in their profession? They both got injured I'm pretty sure not intentionally.

ModSocks
07-19-2021, 01:12 PM
I wouldn’t be opposed to signing either Houston or Ingram. The more rotational pass rushers the better. Especially with Clark’s situation an unknown, and Jones transition to more DE snaps.

However…how many late signings (before/during camp) work out or produce? I get all pumped about the McCoy signing, or the Bell signing, or adding Mo Clairborne/Orlando Scandrick late. Not many produce.

I'd give Houston a go. People loved the Suggs signing and he had a lot less gas in the tank.

Hoover
07-19-2021, 01:14 PM
I'm cool with signing one or both of these guys. Can't hurt.

I think Houston has to be looking at KC or Indy. Who knows what Ingrham is thinking.

Houston needs to be thinking ring at this point.

lcarus
07-19-2021, 01:38 PM
I'd give Houston a go. People loved the Suggs signing and he had a lot less gas in the tank.

The guys I worked with didn't believe me that Suggs played for the Chiefs when they won the Super Bowl. I had to prove it to them lol. It's one of those things that people have already forgotten about. Kind of like Patrick Ewing playing for the Orlando Magic.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4f/09/73/4f097341da69e003ff87b0e3492fa6f8.jpg

penchief
07-19-2021, 01:42 PM
It sucked how we were strung along and led to believe Berry was "day-to-day," but that's on Chiefs PR, Med staff, and Reid. Was there disagreement between the med-staff, coaching staff, and the player about whether Berry could have played? We'll never know - and it seems like a lot of people made assumptions.

Berry didn’t do us an favors, either. Yeah, injuries suck. But Berry also milked the situation. The chiefs paid Berry his full contract the entire time he battled cancer. And then they gave him a blockbuster deal. And how did he show his appreciation? By not showing up for voluntary off season workouts. That told me all I needed to know.

The chiefs organization and Eric Berry both disrespected the fans during that entire sordid episode. One has to think Berry somehow had the team over a barrel. I felt it was uncharacteristic for Reid and Clark to be that mum about a distraction that so obviously needed to be addressed.

Dorsey and Berry are no longer with the team and probably for good reason. My guess is that they were both assholes. I liked Dorsey’s knack for finding good football players. And I always considered Berry a favorite up until that point. But he had an obligation to be forthright with the team and the fans. Being silent was not an act of good faith.

wazu
07-19-2021, 02:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a> are signing FA pass-rusher Melvin Ingram to a 1-year contract to beef up the edge. The former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chargers</a> star lands in PIT before camp begins.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1417211871556407303?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kiimo
07-19-2021, 02:03 PM
Welp

smithandrew051
07-19-2021, 02:05 PM
I would have been fine with the Chiefs signing him, but he’s broken and unproductive anymore. No big loss.

Houston has been much better the last 2 years.

Kiimo
07-19-2021, 02:06 PM
Houston isn’t coming.

We’re going to roll with who we got and it sucks

rabblerouser
07-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Did not want

RustShack
07-19-2021, 02:23 PM
It’s time for Houston to come home.

wazu
07-19-2021, 02:26 PM
Houston isn’t coming.

It's fine. With our upgraded o-line Mahomes and company will be dropping 50 points per week anyway.

smithandrew051
07-19-2021, 02:29 PM
Houston isn’t coming.

Not with that attitude

BossChief
07-19-2021, 02:33 PM
It's fine. With our upgraded o-line Mahomes and company will be dropping 50 points per week anyway.

We still need another WR and a DE to round out this roster.

srvy
07-19-2021, 02:35 PM
I had just a smidgen of interest in Ingram. Hell no to Houston IMO.

-King-
07-19-2021, 02:37 PM
I had just a smidgen of interest in Ingram. Hell no to Houston IMO.
Yeah me too. I prefer players who had 0 sacks over players who had 8 sacks last year too (7 sacks for Ingram and 19 sacks for Houston over the past 2 years). Because logic.

srvy
07-19-2021, 02:45 PM
Still don't want him. He is a cancerous tumor. If he was still all that why is he available and wasn't retained?

Sassy Squatch
07-19-2021, 02:52 PM
Really curious to see the numbers here.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Yeah me too. I prefer players who had 0 sacks over players who had 8 sacks last year too (7 sacks for Ingram and 19 sacks for Houston over the past 2 years). Because logic.

Yeah, I'm really not getting the lingering grudge people are holding.

I've made it pretty clear I wasn't thrilled with a lot of things about Houston's time here after he got paid, but quite frankly if the Chiefs could convince him to come back we as fans should welcome him with open arms.

Houston would instantly be the best defensive end on this roster, and I don't even think that's up for debate. That's with or without Frank Clark's presence. When you have a chance for an addition like that this late in the offseason at a position seriously lacking depth, you jump at it.

Of course, none of us know what the Chiefs opinion is on the young guys they have coming up. Clearly they must think pretty highly of them because they haven't really made the position much of a priority. They obviously are planning on Jones playing a big part there as well. Man, it all seems risky though.

I'll continue to trust this front office as they've given us very little reason to doubt them, but I sure as heck wouldn't mind seeing JH back here right now.

Skyy God
07-19-2021, 03:42 PM
Really curious to see the numbers here.

$3.50

Easy 6
07-19-2021, 04:22 PM
Fine, go play for the Pittsburgh Losers

They're gonna be third in that division this year

ThyKingdomCome15
07-19-2021, 05:30 PM
Man, Chiefs getting spurned is a reoccurring theme this offseason.

Bowser
07-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Fine, go play for the Pittsburgh Losers

They're gonna be third in that division this yearI guess the $tealers think Ingram will take pressure off of TJ Watt?

But yeah, that division is Cleveland's to lose. Baltimore might have something to say about that as well, and Ben is getting fucking old.

Man, Chiefs getting spurned is a reoccurring theme this offseason.

No lie. I guess the agents of these players don't see a huge payday for their guys with everyone we have in place now.

O.city
07-19-2021, 06:41 PM
1 year 4 million

In58men
07-19-2021, 06:54 PM
That’s a win

Sassy Squatch
07-19-2021, 06:54 PM
So in other words we weren't that interested.

Easy 6
07-19-2021, 06:55 PM
I guess the $tealers think Ingram will take pressure off of TJ Watt?

But yeah, that division is Cleveland's to lose. Baltimore might have something to say about that as well, and Ben is getting fucking old.

Don't discount the Bengals, either... they're sleeper sexy

Burrow looks primed to put old Ben out of his misery, Pittsburgh doesn't even seem close to what it used to be... they're slipping hard, I'd put money on it

-King-
07-19-2021, 07:14 PM
I just flat out don't understand what we're doing with our pass rush. The pressure that's going to put on our young CBs is insane.

Bowser
07-19-2021, 07:24 PM
I just flat out don't understand what we're doing with our pass rush. The pressure that's going to put on our young CBs is insane.

You can't force guys to sign here. And I assume they think they see something in these younger guys they like? Or else we're going to blitz way more than any other team, I don't know.

Kiimo
07-19-2021, 07:45 PM
Force guys to sign here? The Chiefs never even made an offer

I mean Juju yes but afaik the Chiefs never sent an offer to Melvin

staylor26
07-19-2021, 07:52 PM

Our pass rush is going to be fine.

We now have the best interior pass rush duo in the NFL.

The most efficient way of getting to the QB in today’s NFL is up the middle.

Yes, our edge rushers are lacking, but Reed and Jones will make their jobs much easier. Hell, if Wharton continues to get better, we legitimately have 3 guys that can wreck havoc inside.

The Chiefs also don’t seem too concerned about Clark being out, so that tells me they aren’t expecting a significant suspension.

staylor26
07-19-2021, 08:05 PM
And for all the noise about our edge rushers, there’s absolutely talent there.

Mike Danna was fantastic in a rotational role as a rookie. Taco was really good and had a very nice pressure rate last year. Ward flashed in week 17, and has all the tools and measurables that Spags loves. Kaindoh has legitimate upside and could surprise early on like Danna did.

I also think people are really sleeping on Willie Gay’s ability to blitz. He’s so explosive and fast, and I have no doubt that they’re going to take advantage of hit blitzing ability now that he will be on the field more.

Pass rush is a unit thing, not just an edge rusher thing. We have a great staff and they should get the most out of this defense.

Rainbarrel
07-19-2021, 08:13 PM
His name starts with Me. He has what it takes to be a Steeler.

Dunerdr
07-19-2021, 11:09 PM
Would have been nice, but far from the end of the world.

O.city
07-20-2021, 07:38 AM
And for all the noise about our edge rushers, there’s absolutely talent there.

Mike Danna was fantastic in a rotational role as a rookie. Taco was really good and had a very nice pressure rate last year. Ward flashed in week 17, and has all the tools and measurables that Spags loves. Kaindoh has legitimate upside and could surprise early on like Danna did.

I also think people are really sleeping on Willie Gay’s ability to blitz. He’s so explosive and fast, and I have no doubt that they’re going to take advantage of hit blitzing ability now that he will be on the field more.

Pass rush is a unit thing, not just an edge rusher thing. We have a great staff and they should get the most out of this defense.

It's just alot of "hopefuls". Ideally a few of them hit and they potentially can, but I wouldn't mind a backup plan of a vet if possible.

Dayze
07-20-2021, 07:47 AM
Ingram should arrive just in time for the Steelers pre-training camp Helmet to Helmet Tackling clinic

htismaqe
07-20-2021, 01:53 PM

The pass rush wasn't good last year, they put a TON of pressure on our young CB's, and guess what those young CB's did? Sneed emerged as a dark horse DROY candidate.

It isn't ideal but it isn't the end of the world either.

htismaqe
07-20-2021, 01:56 PM
Force guys to sign here? The Chiefs never even made an offer

I mean Juju yes but afaik the Chiefs never sent an offer to Melvin

They met with him and obviously walked away thinking it wasn't worth it. Given that he's signing right before TC, I'm guessing he signed with the Steelers because his asking price was too high and he ran out of options.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Add this thread to the list of Chiefs who could have been...

Corey Dillon
Hugh Douglas
Baushad Breeland (the first time)

Who am I forgetting?

Bowser
07-20-2021, 03:22 PM

Corey Dillon
Hugh Douglas

Who am I forgetting?

Emmanuel Sanders
Peyton Manning (maybe)

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2021, 03:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Alex Okafor played one more regular-season game than Melvin Ingram over the last two years and has one more sack.</p>&mdash; Joshua Brisco (@jbbrisco) <a href="https://twitter.com/jbbrisco/status/1417553752190509056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TEX
07-20-2021, 03:39 PM

Corey Dillon
Hugh Douglas

Who am I forgetting?

Kendrell Bell
Ty Law
Wait / Nevermind...

Wisconsin_Chief
07-20-2021, 03:48 PM
Kendrell Bell
Ty Law
Wait / Nevermind...

Carlton Gray... :hmmm:

TEX
07-20-2021, 03:51 PM
Carlton Gray... :hmmm:

LMAO Exactly!

Mecca
07-20-2021, 03:57 PM

Injuries

John Dorsey didn't want to keep Berry, that entire saga was Clark Hunt deciding they couldn't let him go, probably for PR reasons. Berry player up that aspect repeatedly too.

mkp785
07-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Emmanuel Sanders
Peyton Manning (maybe)

I remember 5 head. There was like a 2k post thread for him, maybe more.

TEX
07-20-2021, 04:25 PM
John Dorsey didn't want to keep Berry, that entire saga was Clark Hunt deciding they couldn't let him go, probably for PR reasons. Berry player up that aspect repeatedly too.

Yep. I got into it several times with SAUTO over that fact. In all of our disagreements, that might have been the only one where I was actually right! LMAO

Tribal Warfare
07-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Yep. I got into it several times with SAUTO over that fact. In all of our disagreements, that might have been the only one where I was actually right! LMAO

Nah, he was argumentative just because he thought it was cool trying to emulate others and burnt out because he couldn't compartmentalize his emotions in the end.

-King-
07-20-2021, 05:31 PM
The pass rush wasn't good last year, they put a TON of pressure on our young CB's, and guess what those young CB's did? Sneed emerged as a dark horse DROY candidate.

It isn't ideal but it isn't the end of the world either.

Yeah? We also had Breeland who is a very reliable vet on the other side. This year we don't have that. It's just the young corners on islands.

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2021, 05:56 PM

Hunt really understands how to do stupid things. Fortunately, he also does some smarter things.

Mecca
07-20-2021, 06:43 PM
Hunt really understands how to do stupid things. Fortunately, he also does some smarter things.

Berry and his agent played it perfectly too, basically painting the Chiefs as assholes that didn't want to support a cancer survivor.

It made football/money sense to walk away but they played it where if the Chiefs walked away it was a bad PR hit to a ton of people.

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2021, 06:57 PM
Berry and his agent played it perfectly too, basically painting the Chiefs as assholes that didn't want to support a cancer survivor.

It made football/money sense to walk away but they played it where if the Chiefs walked away it was a bad PR hit to a ton of people.

Who gives a flying **** about PR? It's the NFL. Win games.

Don't sign safeties to dumb deals that your coaches/GM don't want. It's literally that easy.

staylor26
07-20-2021, 07:26 PM
Yeah? We also had Breeland who is a very reliable vet on the other side. This year we don't have that. It's just the young corners on islands.

Ward is going into year 4 now, and Sneed is sliding into Breeland’s spot like he did last year as a rookie while Breeland was suspended, but now with experience.

poolboy
07-20-2021, 07:49 PM
Don't discount the Bengals, either... they're sleeper sexy

Burrow looks primed to put old Ben out of his misery, Pittsburgh doesn't even seem close to what it used to be... they're slipping hard, I'd put money on it

Especially with Joes old buddy Ja'Marr Chase in the fold

Halfcan
07-20-2021, 08:59 PM
4 Million for a 0 sack season- nice work Steelers!!

Glad we passed on this guy.