PDA

View Full Version : Life Road trip #1

displacedinMN
07-17-2021, 06:51 PM
I bought my wife a convertible beetle. But it is in Tucson. I am flying down Tuesday and driving it back to Mpls.

Coming home through Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, KC, DSM and home. All to avoid two lanes.

Any reason to go through SW KS on two lane than my route?

I wil miss Wakita, OK by a few miles. But I am not visiting the Twister Museum in a bug and not my truck. (Red four door Ram)

POND_OF_RED
07-17-2021, 08:27 PM
New Mexico is pretty cool. Check out Carlsbad Caverns and the White Sands National Park if you haven’t seen them before. Carlsbad is more out of your way but completely worth it. You can drive through Roswell and look for aliens as an added bonus to get back on your route.

Flying High D
07-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Hopefully the convertible won’t be driven within 100 miles of the Twin cities.

Bearcat
07-17-2021, 08:42 PM

Check out a thread from a few months ago -- http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338033

Starting that far south, I'm surprised Google map's fastest route is to stay on 54 through NM (had no idea it did that) and central KS.

I like going through central KS (and generally hate two lane highways), but looks like for such a long trip, you're only talking ~150 miles. No other reason to drive through there though.

I've heard Albuquerque to Santa Fe is cool, but haven't tried it... you could technically do that, but then would have to either go through central KS or drive to Denver and then across on I-80 (adding another 100 miles).

Rainbarrel
07-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Kansas is like diarrhea splatter on a chipped subway title. Under florescent lighting.

prhom
07-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Check out a thread from a few months ago -- http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338033

Starting that far south, I'm surprised Google map's fastest route is to stay on 54 through NM (had no idea it did that) and central KS.

I like going through central KS (and generally hate two lane highways), but looks like for such a long trip, you're only talking ~150 miles. No other reason to drive through there though.

I've heard Albuquerque to Santa Fe is cool, but haven't tried it... you could technically do that, but then would have to either go through central KS or drive to Denver and then across on I-80 (adding another 100 miles).

I’ve driven from ABQ to Santa Fe, but wouldn’t rank it as a particularly scenic drive, at least not one I’d go out of my way for. Santa Fe is a cool town though. There are some good restaurants I like to eat at when I visit.

displacedinMN
07-17-2021, 09:12 PM
not a lot of sight seeing. I want to get home so she can have her car.

I am dreading ABQ to KC. I have a niece there and was hoping to stop over night there. But 12 or 13 hr drive if no stops.

displacedinMN
07-17-2021, 09:26 PM
Think I am passing on the two lanes. OKC I come. But not sure if I can last ABQ to Olathe.

stanleychief
07-17-2021, 09:28 PM
We just did a long motorcycle trip, and stayed in Santa Fe, then came back via I-25 -> 412 -> 56. I've also done I-40 through Amarillo & OK City. Either way is pretty boring. The two lane highways aren't crowded in that section of the country (surprise!) so not much to worry about. Slow vehicles are easy to pass, and if you are outside of big towns, not much to worry about as far as speed traps. Just make sure that you grab gas when you can. There are some stretches where GOOD gas stations are few and far between.

R Clark
07-17-2021, 09:43 PM
Kansas is like diarrhea splatter on a chipped subway title. Under florescent lighting.

I bet you would eat it an like it

stanleychief
07-17-2021, 09:57 PM
Think I am passing on the two lanes. OKC I come. But not sure if I can last ABQ to Olathe.

If you are going that route.. then I'd suggest a stop for food at the Big Texan in Amarillo. Yes, it's a tourist trap, but their steaks are pretty damn good.

If you are able to take more time, then going through Santa Fe is a pretty cool detour. I'd go check out the historic town square, and grab a bite to eat in town. You'll be also be driving in higher altitude, so you might be able to put the top down for a bit, since the humidity will be low and temps are more moderate.

REDHOTGTO
07-18-2021, 06:29 PM
hope its an old beetle conv and not a new one, you may never make it back.
those cars are horrible electric nightmares, sold one to my cousin once was so embarrased but it was what thy wanted, till they got it. good luck sir

Buehler445
07-18-2021, 06:45 PM
I bought my wife a convertible beetle. But it is in Tucson. I am flying down Tuesday and driving it back to Mpls.

Coming home through Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, KC, DSM and home. All to avoid two lanes.

I wil miss Wakita, OK by a few miles. But I am not visiting the Twister Museum in a bug and not my truck. (Red four door Ram)

Well, me. :D But no.

displacedinMN
07-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Well, me. :D But no.

Thought about it, but I want to get to KC and rest.

cosmo20002
07-18-2021, 08:10 PM
Why did I get a convertible?

/most people who bought a convertible a month after getting a convertible

displacedinMN
07-19-2021, 07:08 AM

https://y.yarn.co/0a9bac0b-1365-479f-b57f-02ba593ae1a8_text.gif

burt
07-19-2021, 08:13 AM

Wrong. I have had 3 convertible's. Wish I had one now. I WILL have another.

cosmo20002
07-19-2021, 08:43 AM
Wrong. I have had 3 convertible's. Wish I had one now. I WILL have another.

I said most people. There's always an exception.
They look good, but most regret it or end up never actually taking the top down, which is the reason they bought it in the first place.

stumppy
07-19-2021, 09:04 AM
I said most people. There's always an exception.
They look good, but most regret it or end up never actually taking the top down, which is the reason they bought it in the first place.

:spock:

That's a twisted little world your mind lives in.

Most people who buy a convertible never take the top down? ROFL

cosmo20002
07-19-2021, 09:25 AM
:spock:

That's a twisted little world your mind lives in.

Most people who buy a convertible never take the top down? ROFL

After a while, yes. It's either a pain in the ass, or they realize it's too hot or too cold or too windy...

Just going off of the 20 or so people I've known who have bought one. But there is a chance that they are the only ones on earth who had any regret.

Rain Man
07-19-2021, 12:15 PM
After a while, yes. It's either a pain in the ass, or they realize it's too hot or too cold or too windy...

Just going off of the 20 or so people I've known who have bought one. But there is a chance that they are the only ones on earth who had any regret.

We convertible owners are swarming you like killer bees.

I don't have a car now, but I've owned four different convertibles among the six cars that have been my daily drivers over the years. Convertibles are awesome.

The only time they're not awesome is on long highway trips, because the road noise is too loud. But I seldom did that, or if we did it usually happened in my wife's car. And the last convertible I owned was a retractable hardtop, which gave me the best of both worlds.

lawrenceRaider
07-19-2021, 12:38 PM

We drove out that way last summer from Wichita to Kenton, OK. Which is about a mile from NM and stayed at a cabin for the Dark Skies star viewing.

The traffic is non-existent and plenty of places to pass. It's damn pretty down around there and into NM.

displacedinMN
07-21-2021, 10:05 PM
update-
First flight into Tuscon cancelled.
Got in late Tuesday.
Bought car Wednesday. It looks good. Minor body issue. Typical for a 7 year old car.
Good price. Runs well.

Headed out. Decided to go through Las Crusas and White Sands. I do like the fact that 2 lane roads in NM are 65!!

I am in Santa Rosa, NM. Ready to get some sleep. KC tomorrow.

ptlyon
07-22-2021, 06:47 AM
Have a safe trip

displacedinMN
07-24-2021, 09:02 AM
Texas has big rest stops on 40/66
I 35 from KC to Emporia sucks. Too rough.
Miss being in KC
I had three slow downs in 1800 miles. Two in Minneapolis.

all safe at home. Happy wife. Tired me.

This heat sucks.

lewdog
07-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Takes a real man to drive a Bug across the country.

displacedinMN
07-24-2021, 02:57 PM
Takes a real man to drive a Bug across the country.

I felt a little funny in Tex and Ok when a big truck drove by. Got out of Ariz and NM in time. Sounds like rain there. But they need it.