PDA

View Full Version : Money Driving for Uber/Lyft

Reroka
07-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Does anyone doe this. I started just so I could pay off some bills and I did not know that I could make 1500 in 30 hours. Not bad money.

RedRaider56
07-20-2021, 09:56 AM
i don't currently, but thinking about it as a source of income when I retire at the end of the year.

DaFace
07-20-2021, 10:01 AM
I haven't done it, but be sure to factor in wear and tear on your car when evaluating how profitable it is.

Bugeater
07-20-2021, 10:02 AM
I assume that 1500 is before expenses/taxes? And probably a 1099 position?

Reroka
07-20-2021, 10:03 AM
I assume that 1500 is before expenses/taxes? And probably a 1099 position?

After expenses it comes out to about 1100.00

BWillie
07-20-2021, 10:11 AM
Do you like to get exploited? It FEELS like you are making money, but you are really depreciating the **** out of your vehicle. If you do it, get the worst possible vehicle you can possibly get when you drive for them.

Also, contact your carrier to buy insurance. They will not pay for you no matter what while you have a passenger in the vehicle. They also won't pay for your vehicle if you have the app on or are going to an appt, and Uber won't either so you will have to buy an extra insurance coverage from your insurance company for that.

Frazod
07-20-2021, 10:22 AM
Hate traffic. Hate people. I think this would not be for me.

Titty Meat
07-20-2021, 10:48 AM
I do door dash delivery as a side hustle. Make 15-20hr

Dayze
07-20-2021, 10:58 AM

LMAO

same here.

I imagine if I were to do it, I'd roll up to the place where I'd have to pick someone up...slowly approach and as they approach the car, I'd be like "....nah", and just speed off.

bricks
07-20-2021, 11:13 AM

LMAOLMAOLMAO

I would love to see you have this job just to see how often you would cuss and how many people you would tell off at the end of the day.

And then maybe we’ll really know how you truly feel.

Rain Man
07-20-2021, 11:14 AM
I haven't done it, but be sure to factor in wear and tear on your car when evaluating how profitable it is.

I'm planning to do it, but I'll maximize my profits. I'll just idle the car and put google streets projections up on the window, and then I only end up absorbing the mileage going to the pickup and not the dropoff. It'll cut my costs in half.

Frazod
07-20-2021, 11:18 AM
LMAOLMAOLMAO

I would love to see you have this job just to see how often you would cuss and how many people you would tell off at the end of the day.

And then maybe we’ll really know how you truly feel.

I think there would be a lot of "GET THE FUCK OUT" moments involved. LMAO

sedated
07-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Based on my Uber usage, it seems like it will be more profitable these days because Ubers are f-ing expensive now. I tried to go from Westport area to Waldo a couple weeks ago and the cheapest was $49. Downtown to midtown (a grand total of 10 blocks) cost $22 last weekend. I haven't gotten an estimate for under $15 in a few months and I'm just going to places nearby.

WhawhaWhat
07-20-2021, 11:33 AM
I drive for Grub Hub and Door Dash as a side job working maybe 5-8 hours per week and it's usually around $25-30 per hour. Never wanted random strangers in my car so Uber was never for me.

R8RFAN
07-20-2021, 11:48 AM
good on you for cleaning up that Debt !

Buehler445
07-20-2021, 11:58 AM
Based on my Uber usage, it seems like it will be more profitable these days because Ubers are f-ing expensive now. I tried to go from Westport area to Waldo a couple weeks ago and the cheapest was $49. Downtown to midtown (a grand total of 10 blocks) cost $22 last weekend. I haven't gotten an estimate for under $15 in a few months and I'm just going to places nearby.

:eek:

Wow. What does that compare to a cab?

stumppy
07-20-2021, 11:59 AM
I'd last long enough to cuss out every dumb, slow, stupid, ignorant, mf'n, non driving,sob who crossed my path on the first ride.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2021, 12:04 PM
In my area, some drivers have created their own business doing ride shares. I guess to get around having to share money with Uber or Lift.

Bearcat
07-20-2021, 12:06 PM

I've always found Uber to be far worse at jacking up their prices when they're busy, versus Lyft.... haven't used either in a while though, so they might both be that way now.

IIRC, there's even been shenanigans before that's basically collusion, where drivers stay unavailable until prices go up.

Titty Meat
07-20-2021, 12:08 PM

Should have used Lyft it's cheaper and doesnt charge more during peak times

Discuss Thrower
07-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Only do it if you can get a reliable, pleasant-to-be-in beater with good gas mileage.

Follow the advice posted above regarding insurance and look up driver safety tips when you're a for-hire driver.

Get a stack of business cards listing your name as it appears on the app, your vehicle /description, and a phone number you'd like to be contacted at with the window of time you prefer to drive for-hire in a day.

Use both Uber and Lyft for a while, screening riders with the highest ratings. If they're not toolbags / buttfucking morons, give them your card and say you'll accept a cheaper ride for cash / direct venmo than what Uber/Lyft charges them if they text you ahead / beginning of your time window. Make it clear that this will apply to surge prices too.

Profit.

notorious
07-20-2021, 01:02 PM

ROFL

sedated
07-20-2021, 01:10 PM
Should have used Lyft it's cheaper and doesnt charge more during peak times

Lyft is dead to me unless there is no other option. Over a long stretch they were almost as expensive but had 20-30 minute waits to get picked up. Then I waited 40 minutes for one (finishing a drop off nearby), and the f'er cancelled the trip when they were only a few blocks away.

KCUnited
07-20-2021, 01:14 PM
LMAO

same here.

I imagine if I were to do it, I'd roll up to the place where I'd have to pick someone up...slowly approach and as they approach the car, I'd be like "....nah", and just speed off.

I've actually had this happen. Going to the airport. Guessing he saw my luggage and just drove right past me. My understanding is they don't know the drop off location until after pickup to prevent it from happening.

Spott
07-20-2021, 01:20 PM
I use the heck out of the service and have found Lyft to be a little more reliable and cheaper than Uber. Driving for them would be a different story. I’ve heard a few of them tell me that they’ve been doing very well because of the rental car shortage in a lot of areas. One even told me he was making 2-3 trips to Miami (from Orlando) a week because customers were booking rides from city to city. I can’t imagine taking an Uber for 200 miles, but apparently people are doing it.

Jewish Rabbi
07-20-2021, 01:20 PM
I do door dash delivery as a side hustle. Make 15-20hr

Bill have you ever delivered Jack in the Box to a hot guy and sucked him off

Reroka
07-20-2021, 01:35 PM
I have 3 cars,
i use my oldest car a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 97k miles on it and in perfect cond. This car is paid off. I have the insurance to cover it with Allstate .

Only do it if you can get a reliable, pleasant-to-be-in beater with good gas mileage.

Follow the advice posted above regarding insurance and look up driver safety tips when you're a for-hire driver.

Get a stack of business cards listing your name as it appears on the app, your vehicle /description, and a phone number you'd like to be contacted at with the window of time you prefer to drive for-hire in a day.

Use both Uber and Lyft for a while, screening riders with the highest ratings. If they're not toolbags / butt****ing morons, give them your card and say you'll accept a cheaper ride for cash / direct venmo than what Uber/Lyft charges them if they text you ahead / beginning of your time window. Make it clear that this will apply to surge prices too.

Profit.

Saulbadguy
07-20-2021, 03:02 PM
Both Uber and Lyft have become more expensive and harder to find. From what i've heard (and seen examples of) from drivers is that the companies are intentionally giving fares to drivers that are further away than other drivers to keep them from operating efficiently (and thus decreasing the amount of fares drivers can get).

Example:

Driver A is dropping off Passenger A on the west side of town.
Driver B is dropping off Passenger B on the east side of town.
Passenger C is on the west side of town (very close to Driver A), but Uber/Lyft will give the fare to Driver B (very far away from Passenger C) so that Driver A can't immediately get a new fare in the area, thus increasing his efficiency/fares per hour.

unlurking
07-20-2021, 03:38 PM
This seems really stupid and can't imagine how it would benefit Uber's profits. I imagine they screw their "gig workers" over every chance they get when there are $$$ at stake, but this wouldn't benefit Uber in any way. In fact, it would probably cause losses as customers check the Lyft app and see closer drivers and switch. Most of the people I know use both apps, and check fare/waittime before selecting.

Katipan
07-20-2021, 06:29 PM
Both Uber and Lyft have become more expensive and harder to find. From what i've heard (and seen examples of) from drivers is that the companies are intentionally giving fares to drivers that are further away than other drivers to keep them from operating efficiently (and thus decreasing the amount of fares drivers can get).

Example:

Driver A is dropping off Passenger A on the west side of town.
Driver B is dropping off Passenger B on the east side of town.
Passenger C is on the west side of town (very close to Driver A), but Uber/Lyft will give the fare to Driver B (very far away from Passenger C) so that Driver A can't immediately get a new fare in the area, thus increasing his efficiency/fares per hour.

Sometimes it's by time of request. If the passenger wants a pickup at a certain time, they're picking the driver that will arrive at the almost perfect time. In theory, keeping the geographically close drivers moving.

The driver coming from a distance is getting paid for the long pick up.

Jenson71
07-20-2021, 07:44 PM
I have 3 cars,
i use my oldest car a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 97k miles on it and in perfect cond. This car is paid off. I have the insurance to cover it with Allstate .

I had a relative drive for Uber. He got in a car accident with a passenger and it was his fault. I was under the impression that his own insurance would have to be involved, but I was told by this relative that Uber's insurer took over entirely.

I would assume there's a minimal amount of coverage you need to maintain. If you're driving around with $20k or $25k liability, it might not be sufficient for Uber's requirements and you may have to up it.

I have no idea, but it's something to look into if you haven't already.

My relative liked driving for Uber. He also did Lyft as well. If I recall, he may have preferred Lyft, but I can't remember why.

BWillie
07-20-2021, 08:39 PM
I have 3 cars,
i use my oldest car a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 97k miles on it and in perfect cond. This car is paid off. I have the insurance to cover it with Allstate.

I doubt it..but its a 2011 Hyundai so no big deal.

Reroka
07-21-2021, 09:09 AM
I gave Bubba starling a ride to dick's sporting goods last night Here in Cary North Carolina. He is with USA baseball this year. i was able to get a pic with him.

BWillie
07-21-2021, 10:39 AM
I gave Bubba starling a ride to dick's sporting goods last night Here in Cary North Carolina. He is with USA baseball this year. i was able to get a pic with him.

I don't think the USA baseball team is going to be very good.

Reroka
07-22-2021, 01:12 PM
In the 6 weeks of doing urber/lyft I have made 7500.00 I have been able to pay off my credit cards, and now working on my 2019 chevy equinox that I just bought 3 months ago. I only paid 17,100 for it At the time it had 18k miles on it. Should have it paid off in about 13 weeks.

Deberg_1990
07-22-2021, 01:25 PM
In the 6 weeks of doing urber/lyft I have made 7500.00 I have been able to pay off my credit cards, and now working on my 2019 chevy equinox that I just bought 3 months ago. I only paid 17,100 for it At the time it had 18k miles on it. Should have it paid off in about 13 weeks.

That’s awesome!

Do you live in a tourist city like Orlando or Vegas? Seems like it would be easier to make money in cities like that.

Reroka
07-22-2021, 01:32 PM
That’s awesome!

Do you live in a tourist city like Orlando or Vegas? Seems like it would be easier to make money in cities like that.

Raleigh/Durham North Carolina.

OnTheWarpath15
07-22-2021, 02:24 PM
I used to drive in the summers when I was teaching several years back. It's ok as a part time thing, but don't think you can make a living doing it.

You don't get paid as much as you think, getting stuck in traffic is a shift killer, people don't give a fuck about your car, you need separate rideshare insurance through your carrier, and gas/maintenance/depreciation sucks ass.

On top of it all, people suck.

Rausch
07-22-2021, 04:11 PM
I used to drive in the summers when I was teaching several years back. It's ok as a part time thing, but don't think you can make a living doing it.

You don't get paid as much as you think, getting stuck in traffic is a shift killer, people don't give a **** about your car, you need separate rideshare insurance through your carrier, and gas/maintenance/depreciation sucks ass.

On top of it all, people suck.

You also have to possess the right personality. Like being a bar tender...

burt
07-23-2021, 07:49 AM
I believe I would enjoy driving for uber/lyft. I have the personality and patience. BUT my car, although borderline perfect, would never be allowed. it's 29 years old.

burt
07-23-2021, 07:51 AM
Maybe uber eats???https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210723/62e78505238f6ccd9d37f87742e90ef8.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

ptlyon
07-23-2021, 07:54 AM
You ain't seen nothin till your baby drives a Buick

Reroka
07-23-2021, 09:24 AM
You also have to possess the right personality. Like being a bar tender...

This is key,

I have 700 rides under my belt right now and I have 700 5 star reviews. People say I am a friendly driver, safe driver, I go above and beyond and a clean car.

Plus I offer cold bottles of water for my passengers

Wisconsin_Chief
07-23-2021, 09:35 AM
I think it really depends on the area you're living in. Around here, GrubHub and all the other food delivery services are the way to go.

We have trouble filling the $15-20 dollar an hour office jobs (which is a pretty good wage in this part of the country for the work expected of you) because all those people are just doing GrubHub and making more money. One guy who recently quit here that I've stayed in touch with claims he's making $1,000 a week working fewer than 40 hours. Obviously not taking into account he'll have to pay taxes on that at the end of the year but still pretty solid.

I think that's probably a big reason there's such a workforce shortage on these lower wage traditional jobs. Why work in an office pushing papers or packing cases on pallets when you can drive around and listen to music all day while choosing your own hours? I don't blame the people doing it one bit. Especially the young people who don't care about health insurance and things like that.

ptlyon
07-23-2021, 09:50 AM

Not vodka?

BWillie
07-23-2021, 01:59 PM
This is key,

I have 700 rides under my belt right now and I have 700 5 star reviews. People say I am a friendly driver, safe driver, I go above and beyond and a clean car.

I would pay uber drivers more to not talk to me.

I really don't think many passengers care if the driver talks to them. Maybe i'm in the minority.

Jewish Rabbi
07-23-2021, 06:02 PM
I would pay uber drivers more to not talk to me.

I really don't think many passengers care if the driver talks to them. Maybe i'm in the minority.

Most people on here would pay you not to talk as well.