PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some Things About Today's Game Week 4: KC 42, Iggles 30

gblowfish
10-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Some Things About Today’s Game Week 4: KC 42 Iggles 30

I love winning.
Like Nuke LaLoosh once said: “It's like…..better than losing!”
It’s a relief to even our record on the road against a poor NFC team. There’s a lot of good and bad today. I have some angst for next week, and a lot to say after this one.

The good is, we scored 42 points today. Seven Drives, Six TDs and one pick. No punts. The bad is, we gave up 30 again and the defense forced NO punts. Another bad thing: Buffalo also scored 40 points. And gave up ZERO against another poor NFL team, the Texans. Guess who we play on Sunday Night Football next week? Another team that sees their game against us as their personal Super Bowl. Angst. Angst. Angst.

Now, the last TD was in garbage time, really should have been 42 to 23. Eagles boy scout coach Nicky with the magic markers stuck in his head forgot my father’s mantra that still rings true in the 2021 NFL: “THREES DON’T BEAT SEVENS!”

Let’s talk defense. Another week where the defense was God Awful. We have no play makers. We forced NO turnovers on Hurts. Hurts threw the ball 48 times and had two TD passes. He threw for just shy of 400 yards. For another week, our three leading tacklers were all defensive backs: Sorensen, Hughes and Baker/Honey Badger tied. We couldn’t stop a slant or a pass to the flat all day long. Chiefs had three sacks: Two by Mike Danna -who ought to be given Frank Clark’s paycheck this week, and Sneed on a blitz. Chris Jones doesn’t even show up on the stat sheet. He had no tackles, no sacks, and failed to fall on a fumble before the half. He was ass today against a Philly O-line missing four of their five starters. Reed, same thing. No tackles, no sacks, nothing. Okafor had one tackle in bounds and one out of bounds. Dirty Dan and Alfred E Niemann missed seemingly a half dozen tackles each. I’ll have to go back and get a count when I re-watch the game. At least Alfred E. did force the fumble that Andy failed to challenge. Boodle has a better stat line than Chris Jones today. Jones, Reed and Frank “Eric Berry” Clark are stealing their paychecks this season. Stealing them. This defense was every bit as bad as anything under Grandpa Sutton. They couldn’t stop a Pop Warner team today. Just abysmal.

For every bit as bad as the Defense was, the Offense finally showed up and showed out. Patrick with five TD passes. Not his best day ever, but close. His one pick was another third and long desperation pass at Kelce. Philly picked Kelce to concentrate on shut down. He had only 23 yards, and was being mugged the entire game. There was an unbelievable hold on our old pal Steven Nelson right in front of a ref in the second half that set Kelce off. So instead of Kelce, the poison the Eagles picked was Tyreek Hill. 11 catches for 186 yards and three TDs. That’s a fantasy football day!

CEH is trying to make up for his game losing fumble against Baltimore. He ran well, got 102 on the ground, 2 catches for 12 yards and a TD on a shuttle pass. And he didn’t turn the ball over. Darrell Williams was very good with 42 yards and another TD. And props to Fortson who had the only TD by a tight end today.

O Line gave up only one sack against a good Philly line. Fletcher Cox did absolutely nothing in this game. Hargrave is a dirty player. He did a Hi-Low hit on Mahomes’ knees that drew a flag. It was cheap and Patrick was pissed off about it. Niang got beat a couple times but the rest of the line did well. All the snaps from Creed were good this week. Buttkicker 6 for 6 on PATs. That’s all good.

I hope they forced Andy to take a few water breaks on the sideline. He sits next to Mahomes for long periods while Spags attempts to play what now passes for defense. He still looks kind of lethargic on the sideline. I hope he’s not having underlying health issues that the Chiefs are masking. There’s a lot of season left to go. Andy was slow on the draw challenging an Eagles fumble in the first quarter that led to their first TD. Why not challenge? It’s the first half, not a big deal even if it’s not overturned. Time management and knowing when to challenge is not Andy’s strong suit. Still today’s 100th Chiefs win -and his 140 wins as Philly head coach- will be the stat that seals the HOF for him. Nobody’s ever done that before, and may not again.

The Tits just lost in OT to the Jets, so it goes to show, any given Sunday…

So we’re in prime time SNF again this coming week. At least we’ll be at Arrowhead. If the defense plays in that game like they played today, we might get embarrassed in front of the whole country. Bills spent all their draft capital on defense -especially pass rush- especially to stop KC’s offense. Josh Allen is a year older and wiser, and since we kept them out of the Super Bowl last year, they’ll be gunning for us. As Andy would say “We’ll have a challenge playing the Buffalo Bills this week. They’re a good football team.”

Finally, kind of an announcement this week. I’m taking a month long sabbatical from “Some Things.” I’ve got some personal stuff coming up (nothing bad, nothing health related) and I need to step away for awhile. But never fear, I’ve made arrangements with some terrific CP members to take the next four weeks for me. All the “guest hosts” are fantastic, and I’m looking forward to reading their takes in stepping in for “Some Things.” I plan to be back to write up the Chiefs-Packers game.

So I leave the “Some Things” in the hands of my guest writers with a 2-2 record. Hope to take it back with a 6-2 record in November.

Chiefer89
10-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Bills defense is good. But they haven't really played anyone.

This should be a good game.

Not must win. But certainly important.

Halfcan
10-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Nice write-up!

Marcellus
10-03-2021, 03:16 PM
Good always George, enjoy the break if you can.

Chiefer89
10-03-2021, 03:17 PM
And definitely a great write up!!!

Amazing

PHOG
10-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the write up. And enjoy your time away if you can. O/U 100 for the Bills game? :hmmm:

Buehler445
10-03-2021, 03:29 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Fortson, He picked up a couple really difficult blocks. My buddy said he was playing for his spot now that Gordon is on the roster, it's not just effort plays, technically difficult blocks.

That's awesome. I figured he'd be a gadget guy only.

gblowfish
10-03-2021, 03:31 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Fortson, He picked up a couple really difficult blocks. My buddy said he was playing for his spot now that Gordon is on the roster, it's not just effort plays, technically difficult blocks.

That's awesome. I figured he'd be a gadget guy only.

If Gordon makes the roster for next week's game, I think one of the CBs that is hurt may get cut. Or maybe Marcus Kemp gets cut again? Last scuttlebutt I read was that the Chiefs think Gordon is good to go.

Bwana
10-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Well done George, thanks!

MMXcalibur
10-03-2021, 03:37 PM
That defense is an absolute joke.

This is the 2nd game this year where the opponent's offensive line was patchworked together the week leading up to the game and for the most part, the Chiefs made them look like a group of All-Pros.

Blown coverage after blown coverage as well. If you can't roll your eyes and laugh at the ineptness on display, then you'll be dead from high blood pressure by Week 7.

They'll be the fuel behind Patrick Mahomes setting single season records this year.

EDIT: Thanks again, George!

gblowfish
10-03-2021, 03:39 PM
I should have said "At least we'll be at GEEEEEE HAW Field" instead of "Arrowhead." My bad.

Al Czervik
10-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Very well written GB....

Take care of yourself and look forward to your return!!!

InChiefsHeaven
10-03-2021, 03:57 PM
You do you George. Appreciate the effort as always...now go to the spa or whatever the hell you are doing for the next 4 weeks...

Halfcan
10-03-2021, 04:01 PM
I should have said "At least we'll be at GEEEEEE HAW Field" instead of "Arrowhead." My bad.

LMAO

We will miss you the next month! Good luck with that penis reduction surgery. I bet you were tired of tucking that elephant trunk in your sock all these years. :thumb:

Oh shit...sorry I leaked the news.

gblowfish
10-03-2021, 04:05 PM
Last night Mrs. B said "Hey, I'll write one for you. How hard can it be?"
She's not one of the four this time around, but maybe a playoff game???

Stryker
10-03-2021, 04:06 PM
Defense is a joke we will NOT beat a team that just shut out the Texans 40 - 0. Welcome 2 - 3 with this D it isn't happening. Sorry! We have a shitty D they have a serious O.

dannybcaitlyn
10-03-2021, 04:07 PM
Thanks George. Always looking forward to your write up!

jettio
10-03-2021, 04:09 PM
Chiefs defense played okay considering they were missing 3 starters and a key backup.

Neimann forced a fumble that ended up being worth seven points since the official ruled down by contact and Chiefs did not challenge.

They are going to end up changing the replay rule someday. If it is called a fumble, then it would get reversed on the automatic turnover review, if it actually was not a fumble.

Considering it was 1st half. Chiefs bench should have called timeout without the challenge and then challenge if their replay guy says it should be.

First half timeouts are not so valuable. Losing a challenge in the first half is worse than calling a first half timeout to see if a challenge is worth it.

Halfcan
10-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Defense is a joke we will NOT beat a team that just shut out the Texans 40 - 0. Welcome 2 - 3 with this D it isn't happening. Sorry! We have a shitty D they have a serious O.

Wrong thread. Put the doom and gloom in the Bills thread.

Our QB threw 5 TD's today and our running game gutted them. We will have something for those bitch-ass Bills!

petegz28
10-03-2021, 04:13 PM
We won today in spite of a shit defense and special teams. Twice today the ST tried to help the Eagles. The team is a complete cluster fuck save the offense which overall isn't as polished as we would like but getting better.

crayzkirk
10-03-2021, 04:13 PM
Nice to have an unbiased eye when looking at the team...

I've realized that I just need to lower my expectations on the defense. Get a stop and force a field goal is all they are good for. I just don't know how to not get upset when there are multiple receivers with 15-20 yards of cushion; there were players open for the Iggles where no one was on the screen.

Trying to just enjoy the offense and hope that the defense will put it together at some point. They've paid for the player, so they need to earn their keep.

Halfcan
10-03-2021, 04:17 PM
Nice to have an unbiased eye when looking at the team...

I've realized that I just need to lower my expectations on the defense. Get a stop and force a field goal is all they are good for. I just don't know how to not get upset when there are multiple receivers with 15-20 yards of cushion; there were players open for the Iggles where no one was on the screen.

Trying to just enjoy the offense and hope that the defense will put it together at some point. They've paid for the player, so they need to earn their keep.

It is a new Spags strategy of leaving guys wide-open on every play. They will get so nervous from being out on an island by themselves, they will drop the pass.

It has not worked yet- but the Law of Averages say we are ready to dominate! ;)

Easy 6
10-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Good stuff today, gb

If I had to pick just one thing to keep harping on, is what you say about Jones and Reed

My goodness, wasn't entirely sure what to expect from Reed but Jones has been a severe disappointment so far... theres just like, NO production or sizzle from him lately and no one seen it coming

With Reed, yeah that dude isn't worth a wet fart... he hasn't done damn thing at all, a complete non-factor through four games

Veach should get straight up in his ass, not the coaches... Veach

"Why did I pay you!?"

rabblerouser
10-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Always love reading these after a win.

Hope things are well for you and the Mrs!

Stryker
10-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Wrong thread. Put the doom and gloom in the Bills thread.

Our QB threw 5 TD's today and our running game gutted them. We will have something for those bitch-ass Bills!

So you are saying that the offense and defense you are SEEING THIS SEASON IS not DIFFERENT than the last 2 seasons? Really? Yes, he threw for 5 TD's against a BULLSHIT NFC team! This is NOT the Bills! Wake up already. Love it now because next Sunday we are going to get a serious wake up call a little too late. I of course hope we win but, I am a realist and see the trash they are trotting out on the field. We need to invest heavily on defense next season - this D is God awful.

Halfcan
10-03-2021, 04:37 PM
So you are saying that the offense and defense you are SEEING THIS SEASON IS not DIFFERENT than the last 2 seasons? Really? Yes, he threw for 5 TD's against a BULLSHIT NFC team! This is NOT the Bills! Wake up already. Love it now because next Sunday we are going to get a serious wake up call a little too late. I of course hope we win but, I am a realist and see the trash they are trotting out on the field. We need to invest heavily on defense next season - this D is God awful.

You could be right- but I just like to enjoy a big win for at least an hour afterward before I start worrying about losing the following week.

We heard about how the Big Bad Bills were going to roll us last year too...oh and in the playoffs.

Until they do it- I won't be worrying about them.

ROYC75
10-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Chiefs defense played okay considering they were missing 3 starters and a key backup.

Neimann forced a fumble that ended up being worth seven points since the official ruled down by contact and Chiefs did not challenge.

They are going to end up changing the replay rule someday. If it is called a fumble, then it would get reversed on the automatic turnover review, if it actually was not a fumble.

Considering it was 1st half. Chiefs bench should have called timeout without the challenge and then challenge if their replay guy says it should be.

First half timeouts are not so valuable. Losing a challenge in the first half is worse than calling a first half timeout to see if a challenge is worth it.

THIS!

Bearcat
10-03-2021, 05:12 PM

That's what Bills fans said last year when they were putting up 50+ against the Dolphins and other shit teams.

Speaking to the "might get embarrassed" in the OP, that's only happened once with Mahomes as a starter and it was mostly due to 4th/5th string offensive linemen.... no idea why anyone would ever assume a loss with him at QB, it's pretty mind boggling at this point, really.

alpha_omega
10-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Bills, meh. “Rookie QB throws 4 INTs” is the headline on that game, right?

oldman
10-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Good job as usual, George. We'll miss your takes over the next month.

You can bitch all you want about missed tackles, but the truth is when your front 4+ had a COMBINED total of 7 tackles and 1 assist, that's not getting the job done. Take away Danna's contribution of 3 tackles and assist, that leaves 4 tackles and 2 of those belonged to Wharton. Jones and Reed were shut out. That's $14+ M of cap space for nothing. Add to the waste of cap space, Clark and his Haglund's hammy eats up another almost $26M.
I don't give a rat's ass that Jones "wants to play DE", it's clearly not working. He needs to go back inside. Eat some BBQ and mac 'n cheese. We can sign a DE off the street, put Kaindoh in, or elevate Edwards or Harris. Tell Clark he can either go on IR and get cut at the end of the season or get better now. He's probably not going to get a big contract from someone else after they see his "injury" history.

WhawhaWhat
10-03-2021, 05:34 PM
I’m taking a month long sabbatical from “Some Things.” I’ve got some personal stuff coming up (nothing bad, nothing health related) and I need to step away for awhile.

If any Pizza Hut managers come up missing over the next month then we'll know what happened to them.

TwistedChief
10-03-2021, 05:37 PM

This offense is remarkably efficient and balanced, more so than we've ever seen.

And pretty sure the Chiefs at 2-2 aren't looking past the Bills in need of a wake-up call. I'm sure the national pundits will be picking against KC as a trendy thing and pretty sure a bunch of chicken littles like you will agree.

In other news, great write-up as always, George. Excited for the guest writers. Enjoy your "Things" "vacation," buddy!

Shiver Me Timbers
10-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Great summary George.
Pizza on me...........

LongSufferingToady
10-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Thank you George! Whatever is happening in your personal life, I wish the best for you.

Infidel Goat
10-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Still today’s 100th Chiefs win -and his 140 wins as Philly head coach- will be the stat that seals the HOF for him. Nobody’s ever done that before, and may not again.

Loved your write-up overall, but can't help but stress that Reid was already headed to the HOF. He's #6 all-time in wins and already has a Super Bowl win.

Health permitting, he'll pass Lambeau for #5 within weeks and then win me a six-pack off of a Cowboys fan when he passes Tom Landry for #4 in 2-3 years.

He trails #3 Belicek by 59 wins but is closing and is six years younger.

I hope his health allows him the chance to run at the #1 spot.

KChiefs1
10-03-2021, 07:40 PM
Great read George.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bevischief
10-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Thanks, good read like always.

Boiled Chicken
10-04-2021, 03:18 AM
We were at the game yesterday, so a couple of things to add to ‘some things’.

1. Philly fans rep is a little over-rated. They were teddy bears. Maybe it’s because their team stinks, but we didn’t encounter anything awful.

2. Philly announcer, it’s Butker (Butt-curr), not Byou-tker. Hearing that all game…nails on chalkboard!

morphius
10-04-2021, 06:22 AM
I think we should add that Phillys WR Smith (I believe he was the one) had some amazing push offs yesterday for most everyone one of his big plays. It is a personal pet peeve of mine. Even on that big TD that got called back he had the defenders jersey pulled up in the air right in from of the ref and he didn't call that foul, just the out of bounds.

As many have said, our DL even looks terrible against patchwork offensive lines. So far multiple games against backup OL and it is obvious that nobody on our DL is winning one on one battles. I think 5 paper cut outs of Urkel could block these guys from getting to a QB.

Which is great because when we blitz to get pressure, we like leave a guy wide open 15 yards down field, smack dab in the middle of the field, so that the QB has an easy out.

Thornhill showed enough to see why he isn't getting more playing time. I was beginning to worry that if him and Dirty Dan tried to make a play on the same player that they'd have a better chance of tackling each other than the player with the ball.

Right now I have trouble seeing this team making a Superbowl, but the offense makes them fun to watch.

Abba-Dabba
10-04-2021, 06:40 AM
Still pissed about the fumble non-fumble at the goal line. Chiefs should have been all over a challenge on that one but were sleeping at the wheel. In my mind it should have been 42-16.

Boiled Chicken
10-04-2021, 06:46 AM
Still pissed about the fumble non-fumble at the goal line. Chiefs should have been all over a challenge on that one but were sleeping at the wheel. In my mind it should have been 42-16.

45-16…Chris just lands on the ball and we get a free three!

Abba-Dabba
10-04-2021, 07:02 AM
45-16…Chris just lands on the ball and we get a free three!

Not that comedy of errors. Running it back for a TD was the only way to get points off that. IIRC that play was the end of the first half.

The play I am talking about happened in the 1st with about 2:30 left in the quarter. Philly receiver fumbles the ball near the goal line, Nieman recovered.

ptlyon
10-04-2021, 07:21 AM
Thanks George and take care

Otter
10-04-2021, 07:23 AM
CEH with the offensive line starting to gel is looking like it may be a much needed check valve for Patrick and the rest of the offense. Hoping to see the continued development and improvement. A first rounder is a terrible thing to waste!

Thanks GB!

big nasty kcnut
10-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Great read george.

RedRaider56
10-04-2021, 07:38 AM
Great read as always George. Will miss the write-ups while you are taking a sabbatical.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2021, 08:24 AM
losing to a todd haley pissboy would have been unbearable, eh george?

rabblerouser
10-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Not that comedy of errors. Running it back for a TD was the only way to get points off that. IIRC that play was the end of the first half.

Already in FG range. Just have to fall on it.

The play I am talking about happened in the 1st with about 2:30 left in the quarter. Philly receiver fumbles the ball near the goal line, Nieman recovered.

Andy has never been particularly good at challenging, but that was particularly maddening, simply because the game was close at that point.

Papi
10-04-2021, 08:32 AM
Some Things About Today’s Game Week 4: KC 42 Iggles 30

Let’s talk defense. Another week where the defense was God Awful. We have no play makers. We forced NO turnovers on Hurts. Hurts threw the ball 48 times and had two TD passes. He threw for just shy of 400 yards. For another week, our three leading tacklers were all defensive backs: Sorensen, Hughes and Baker/Honey Badger tied. We couldn’t stop a slant or a pass to the flat all day long. Chiefs had three sacks: Two by Mike Danna -who ought to be given Frank Clark’s paycheck this week, and Sneed on a blitz. Chris Jones doesn’t even show up on the stat sheet. He had no tackles, no sacks, and failed to fall on a fumble before the half. He was ass today against a Philly O-line missing four of their five starters. Reed, same thing. No tackles, no sacks, nothing. Okafor had one tackle in bounds and one out of bounds. Dirty Dan and Alfred E Niemann missed seemingly a half dozen tackles each. I’ll have to go back and get a count when I re-watch the game. At least Alfred E. did force the fumble that Andy failed to challenge. Boodle has a better stat line than Chris Jones today. Jones, Reed and Frank “Eric Berry” Clark are stealing their paychecks this season. Stealing them. This defense was every bit as bad as anything under Grandpa Sutton. They couldn’t stop a Pop Warner team today. Just abysmal.

While depressingly true, this section was a joy to read lol.

gblowfish
10-04-2021, 09:19 AM
A couple follow up things here on the day after.

As far as Andy's HOF resume, I was simply saying that getting 100 plus wins with two NFL teams is the frosting on the cake. Yes, I believe he'll be a first ballot guy. Stats like this one is the kind of stuff they put in your HOF "reasons" list. That nobody else has done it, or is likely to do it for a long time, is the lock.

Forgot to mention my favorite offensive play was the Kelce fake out on Fortson's TD. Kelce wins best supporting actor on that play, and damn he's fun to watch. Don't know if you guys saw the picture of him hugging his brother after the game, but that transcends everything we bitch and complain about in the aftermath. That's the kind of stuff they'll talk about with their great grand kids someday. Wonderful life stuff.

I think Jones and Reed's problem is they're both out of game shape. They both look pudgy and slow. I think cutting down to three pre-season games; not playing much in those games to avoid injury, and the new Union Agreement between players and the NFL to limit the duration of practice is coming home to roost. I noticed in the Chargers game both of those guys were pulled off the field for long periods of time because they were gassed. That's why you're seeing Wharton and Saunders out there so much. While some rotation is OK, Jones is missing a LOT of snaps while he's sucking air on the sidelines.

Trey Smith, the guard we got from Tennessee in the later rounds, pancakes people in the running game. He may be the steal of this years draft. Be interesting to see who wins the Mack Lee Hill Award this year.

oldman
10-04-2021, 09:31 AM
The Neiman fumble recovery should have been challenged. Philly knew that if the staff got a 2nd look at it it would have been, that's why they ran that next play so fast.

Tribesman
10-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Am I the only 1 concerned about Niang? It seems like opponents are teeing up on him a lot. It looks like Patrick is taking a fair amount of hits, and some of which are late which don't get called. ��

suzzer99
10-04-2021, 11:10 AM
The Neiman fumble recovery should have been challenged. Philly knew that if the staff got a 2nd look at it it would have been, that's why they ran that next play so fast.

If Reid is off talking to Mahomes on the bench, then Spags really needs the authority to just throw the challenge flag there. You could easily argue we needed a TO purely just because our defense wasn't set.

I get that the upstairs coaches didn't have a replay. But the whole coaching staff needs to have input and take into account the situation.

JPH83
10-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Am I the only 1 concerned about Niang? It seems like opponents are teeing up on him a lot. It looks like Patrick is taking a fair amount of hits, and some of which are late which don't get called. ��

I'm probably as worried about Brown. I think they've been OK and I'm not too worried, but they're both downgrades at this point. There is no way I want this version of Brown on a mega contract.

gblowfish
10-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Guy on the radio had a good point about Chris Jones. During the off season, when they decided to move him to DE, he lost about 15 or 20 lbs to give him more speed off the edge. All it's done is made him weaker. So now, that they've moved him back inside, he's not as big as he used to be, so he can't bull rush guys like he used to. Kind of worst of both worlds. Might be why he's gassed too. He's having to fight harder to get past O Linemen now.