PDA

View Full Version : Football Something I don't get about Denver (the pro football franchise).

Direckshun
01-13-2022, 09:18 AM
I'm listening to the MMQB podcast this morning describe the various head coaching vacancies around the NFL (including the Raiders, there's seven (https://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341832)).

They get to Denver, and they say this is actually a tricky situation for whomever the next coach ends up being.

They have signed a couple receivers who are kind of odd offensive fits to long-term contracts this past season, and few coaches are going to be able to get the most out of them. Plus the defense is fit specifically to Fangio's defensive tendencies, so you might be hamstrung to keep a lot of Fangio's defensive coaching staff, which is going to be tough especially for defensive minded coaches like Dan Quinn.

And of course, this is just me editorializing, but their QB position is a black hole -- they have no win-right-now talent and they have no real prospects to build from and their draft position is less than ideal.

And here's a couple more problems with it:
The team may be sold soon, so you don't know how long you're dealing with Bowlen and there's no guarantee the next owner will have any loyalty to you. They've been through a half-dozen coaches since Shanahan, with only John Fox getting more than two seasons because Peyton Manning fell into your lap. So you know the franchise isn't going to have patience for you to get the right pieces in place. You're in the AFC West anyway, where Mahomes and Herbert are going to rule for the next 15 years.

In other words: you're hamstrung in your coaching staff and on-field talent, you have a black hole at QB, you have no history of patience in ownership in a division that's going to be insanely difficult to win, and ownership may be changing soon anyway.

On paper, that's atrocious to me. The podcast argues it's not the worst head coaching gig out there (they say that's going to be Chicago or Miami), but it's objectively not great.

So here's what I don't understand, and I'm going to quote exactly what they say on the podcast:

I just like the job because, you know, it's Denver. I mean it's a blue blood franchise, you wanna try to win there, um, regardless of how poorly they've been run over the last few years, you know, it's a great place to be.

What on earth are they talking about? Is Denver really a primo franchise in this league? Or are they just blowing smoke so it doesn't sound like they're completely negative on the franchise?

I've heard this a few times over the years, that the Broncos franchise is a key franchise in the NFL. I just really don't understand what the basis for that argument is.

Maybe somebody else does.

notorious
01-13-2022, 09:28 AM
Denver would have been in the fight for the division if they had a QB.

Fangio kind of got fucked over by management.

That’s a shame.

DaFace
01-13-2022, 09:28 AM
They've got a pretty long track record of success. As one example, the Broncos have been to as many Super Bowls as any team not named the Patriots. Yes, they've lost a majority of them, but I can see why people would think of them among the historically best teams in the league.

Spott
01-13-2022, 09:32 AM
Fuck donk forever.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 09:33 AM
This will be a fun read I'm sure.

The franchise has 8 trips to the SB... 3 SB wins, ranking 8th overall in playoff win percentage. Rich history at QB and success overall. Since 1980, they're the 5th winningest franchise. Sure, they sucked for the first decade of their existence, but they pulled out of that in the late 70s.

Debating their overall worth and relevance right now - I'll let you guys do that, should be a fun read.

Rainbarrel
01-13-2022, 09:33 AM
Some owners are about for sure profits(cheap). That to me makes a group of owners scary.

Best22
01-13-2022, 09:36 AM

The franchise has 8 trips to the SB... 3 SB wins, ranking 8th overall in playoff win percentage. Rich history at QB and success overall. Since 1980, they're the 5th winningest franchise. Sure, they sucked for the first decade of their existence, but they pulled out of that in the late 70s.

Debating their overall worth and relevance right now - I'll let you guys do that, should be a fun read.

The NFL and media has always loved the Broncos. They probably have more home openers than any other franchise

In reality the AFCW didn’t have many franchise QBs from 1985-2005

Chiefs had nothing, Montana was a rental

Chargers had nothing, Fouts was on his last legs and then Brees wasn’t an intimidating QB and got dumped for Rivers

Raiders had Gannon, but he wasn’t a franchise QB. Too old

Now KC and LAC have some of the best QBs in the NFL. Guys who you hate to see with the ball in their hands with a minute left. The “bad QB” in this division is Derek Carr. Broncos are a plodding team with no QB, they’re the Bears west (they manage to pick up extra wins because of the altitude advantage).

In 1999, Denver was the best place to coach in the AFCW. Not the case anymore. Battling Herbert is bad enough, but Mahomes?

The Franchise
01-13-2022, 09:39 AM
They've repeatedly fucked the QB position over the last couple of years.

Surtain is good but I think they'd be further along with Justin Fields at QB instead.

tmax63
01-13-2022, 09:41 AM
If I was a Denver fan or a HC looking for a job, and I am NOT, the upcoming change in ownership would scare the living bejesus out of me. I wouldn't take a job there until it's settled and you know what your getting into. Not knowing who's gonna be writing the checks is kinda like the biggest question mark you can have in a franchise, bigger than coach or QB.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-13-2022, 09:42 AM
Any coach going to Denver is signed their own career death warrant solely because of Mahomes and Herbert

Bearcat
01-13-2022, 09:49 AM
They're like every other franchise in the league... pretty damn good when they have a franchise QB and kind of a dumpster fire when they're between franchise QBs.

wazu
01-13-2022, 10:11 AM
In the NFL, good ownership is everything over the long haul. Denver is going to probably suck for the next few years, but if a good owner buys the team they can right the ship. On the other hand, if some egotistical billionaire clown buys them up it could be a comical shitshow. All hinges on that.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 10:11 AM
If I was a Denver fan or a HC looking for a job, and I am NOT, the upcoming change in ownership would scare the living bejesus out of me. I wouldn't take a job there until it's settled and you know what your getting into. Not knowing who's gonna be writing the checks is kinda like the biggest question mark you can have in a franchise, bigger than coach or QB.

The vetting process is pretty sound... sure, it would be nice to know who the ownership group is, but again... there are only 32 of these gigs. If you want one, you take it when given the shot to interview.

ptlyon
01-13-2022, 10:16 AM
**** donk forever.

This is all that needs to be said, really

DaFace
01-13-2022, 10:17 AM
I also wonder if the city itself comes into play a bit. Obviously, perceptions of the team and city aren't 100% correlated (see NYJ), but there's no question that Jacksonville, Cleveland, and Detroit have some negative associations because the cities themselves draw mixed perceptions. Denver has a bit of cultural cachet (albeit mostly because of proximity to the mountains), which probably rubs off on the team a bit.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2022, 10:23 AM
As much as I hate them, I would agree Denver is a flagship franchise. Lots of history there and a strong fan base.

PHOG
01-13-2022, 10:24 AM
**** donk forever.

Spott on.

stevieray
01-13-2022, 10:24 AM
For a long time they were the only franchise between the Midwest and the west coast.

Fills a big void in the country for the NFL.

Ocotillo
01-13-2022, 10:26 AM

The eventual head coach hire may know who the ownership group is going to be.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Broncos to make ownership announcement shortly after head coach is hired. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/9sports?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#9sports</a> <a href="https://t.co/hg0m3fYSAQ">https://t.co/hg0m3fYSAQ</a></p>&mdash; Mike Klis (@mikeklis) <a href="https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1481044778594840588?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ptlyon
01-13-2022, 10:27 AM
That "strong fan base" has mostly deserted them since the Peyton retirement

Deberg_1990
01-13-2022, 10:28 AM

You can say that about any franchise in down times

DaFace
01-13-2022, 10:29 AM

Yeah, no. They still have a wait list for season tickets that's got more people on it than the stadium's entire capacity. They may not be as obnoxious on Chiefs message boards as they were a decade ago, but the Broncos still rule this town. (I say that out of irritation as a fan of a team with championship potential this year in the Avs, and they rarely sell out a game.)

Reerun_KC
01-13-2022, 10:31 AM

I mean. The chiefs really crushed it fan base wise in the 80s and 2000s.

Amazing how so many forget that Herm Edwards was hired here to fix the defense and we had a player off himself in the parking lot.

Chiefs fanbase isn't some moral Superior to the broncos.

Direckshun
01-13-2022, 10:36 AM
I mean. The chiefs really crushed it fan base wise in the 80s and 2000s.

Amazing how so many forget that Herm Edwards was hired here to fix the defense and we had a player off himself in the parking lot.

Chiefs fanbase isn't some moral Superior to the broncos.

That was under Crennel, smart guy. Like 4 years after Herm.

DJ's left nut
01-13-2022, 10:40 AM
I'm mostly just curious what makes Sutton, Patrick and Jeudy 'bad fits' who are hard to build around.

Sutton is a big, physical possession sort. Jeudy is a nice playmaker and Patrick slots right in the middle of them. Fant and Albert O are a nice set of pass-catching TEs as well.

I don't see the problem there being weapons or fit at ALL. It's the quarterback. The OL could use some shoring up but the RB situation looks good going forward with Williams being quite a load.

The defense is aging a bit which in many ways kinda makes things easier for whoever takes over. It's not a team that has a slew of young players and long-term contracts dedicated to niche Fangio fits. It's a team with solid pieces in Simmons, Surtain and Jones who could really fit any system. Shelby Harris may be a bit of a Fangio product but he's also a 30 yr old with one year left on his deal - who cares?

Chubb was disappointing this year but he wasn't drafted for Fangio. AJ Johnson can play in whatever system you need him in. Most of the rest of the chaff just doesn't matter - journeyman on 1-year deals like Stephen Weatherly don't move the needle.

That podcast sounds dumb. The Dolphins are easily the best job available, IMO. The Broncos job isn't very good, IMO, but it isn't very good for entirely different reasons than those guys suggest.

Direckshun
01-13-2022, 10:45 AM
I'm mostly just curious what makes Sutton, Patrick and Jeudy 'bad fits' who are hard to build around.

Sutton is a big, physical possession sort. Jeudy is a nice playmaker and Patrick slots right in the middle of them. Fant and Albert O are a nice set of pass-catching TEs as well.

I don't see the problem there being weapons or fit at ALL. It's the quarterback. The OL could use some shoring up but the RB situation looks good going forward with Williams being quite a load.

The defense is aging a bit which in many ways kinda makes things easier for whoever takes over. It's not a team that has a slew of young players and long-term contracts dedicated to niche Fangio fits. It's a team with solid pieces in Simmons, Surtain and Jones who could really fit any system. Shelby Harris may be a bit of a Fangio product but he's also a 30 yr old with one year left on his deal - who cares?

Chubb was disappointing this year but he wasn't drafted for Fangio. AJ Johnson can play in whatever system you need him in. Most of the rest of the chaff just doesn't matter - journeyman on 1-year deals like Stephen Weatherly don't move the needle.

That podcast sounds dumb. The Dolphins are easily the best job available, IMO. The Broncos job isn't very good, IMO, but it isn't very good for entirely different reasons than those guys suggest.

How on earth is Miami the best job?

Flores was saddled with meh talent, got them to play their tails off to probably their max levels, and got fired.

There's no job security there. The ownership makes their decisions using headless chicken.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wz-PtEJEaqY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 10:47 AM

That's simply bullshit. They lost a lot of bandwagoner Manning fans, but that happens... look at the Bucs now. Look at them 3 years ago and review again once Brady leaves.

The Broncos, like most franchises, will maintain their steady foundation of fans... sure, some will go dormant, but let's not act like all of a sudden Denver is competing with the Jaguars for a fan appeal.

JohnnyHammersticks
01-13-2022, 10:52 AM
Pat Bowlen was a great owner, but man did he raise some stupid, greedy, vindictive kids.

Also, signing Patrick and Sutton to those contracts at that time made zero sense.

Keep up the good work, Donks. :thumb:

Titty Meat
01-13-2022, 10:52 AM
If Manning buys the team they'll turn things around

TRR
01-13-2022, 10:53 AM
Living in Denver, I understand the comment that it’s an “attractive franchise to coach”. One of the fastest growing cities, proximity to the mountains, good schools, great place to live. However, I agree with the thread starter in that there team is complete mess. The local radio hosts here (most not all) still believe the defense is 2014-2015 Championship level, and while they have a few decent pieces, and stats look good on paper, they are nowhere near a SB caliber defense. On offense, they’ve whiffed on too many draft choices to count, dating back to Paxton Lynch. They have no answer in sight at QB, their OL has holes, and their “supposed” weapons/recent high draft picks can’t stay on the field.

For those reasons, I don’t find their head coaching vacancy that appealing. The cupboard isn’t bare…but its not far off.

Marcellus
01-13-2022, 10:59 AM
Denver is a good QB away from being the 2nd best team in the division. :D

Seriously thank God they didn't get Herbert.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2022, 10:59 AM
Middling franchise. The only reason they aren't irrelevant is they suckered Peyton Manning into going there.

RedinTexas
01-13-2022, 11:00 AM
So the court ruled on the ownership situation for the Broncos and cleared the way for the team to be sold. Just to throw a wrench in the works, what if that decision is appealed? Unless I'm mistaken (a very real possibility) couldn't this case go on for years to come? I could see the losing party here filing an appeal and asking the court for an order prohibiting the sale of the team until the appeals process is concluded.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 11:03 AM
So the court ruled on the ownership situation for the Broncos and cleared the way for the team to be sold. Just to throw a wrench in the works, what if that decision is appealed? Unless I'm mistaken (a very real possibility) couldn't this case go on for years to come? I could see the losing party here filing an appeal and asking the court for an order prohibiting the sale of the team until the appeals process is concluded.

I doubt it... if either of the two men were still alive, maybe. But, the children of the deceased that reportedly had this agreement - it's pretty clear they're SOL.

RedinTexas
01-13-2022, 11:08 AM
I doubt it... if either of the two men were still alive, maybe. But, the children of the deceased that reportedly had this agreement - it's pretty clear they're SOL.

Are you an attorney? I think what you're saying sounds like wishful fan thinking. However, if you're an attorney, I'll defer to your superior legal knowledge. Otherwise, I'd like to see an opinion from someone that is somewhat familiar with the situation and does have a legal foundation.

DaFace
01-13-2022, 11:14 AM
Are you an attorney? I think what you're saying sounds like wishful fan thinking. However, if you're an attorney, I'll defer to your superior legal knowledge. Otherwise, I'd like to see an opinion from someone that is somewhat familiar with the situation and does have a legal foundation.

Is it possible in theory? Sure. But you have to be granted the appeal, and the original ruling wasn't at all ambiguous. When a judge says you have no legal standing at all, it's tough to imagine another judge deciding that's a good use of their time.

Aside from that, I haven't heard any rumblings of an appeal at all.

Rain Man
01-13-2022, 11:47 AM
For a long time they had an owner who was willing to cheat and undermine the system to win games. That's attractive to some coaches, and apparently to Peyton Manning.

Now the ownership is a mess, and they've got elway mucking around and passing blame to the GM and head coach for his mistakes. Denver's a great place to live, but the Denver broncos are not a good football team to be a coach for. It won't change until a new owner arrives and forces elway out.

Hoover
01-13-2022, 12:04 PM
I think it was a bad decision to fire Fangio. I would have just stayed put for another year while the team gets sold. They are not awful. A decent QB and they are competitive.

Rasputin
01-13-2022, 12:12 PM
14th and 15th wins in a row next year, they are a door mat.

Elway sucking Satan's dick for their last Super Bowl really did them in :titus::evil:

tmax63
01-13-2022, 12:17 PM
The vetting process is pretty sound... sure, it would be nice to know who the ownership group is, but again... there are only 32 of these gigs. If you want one, you take it when given the shot to interview.

Pretty sound but not fool-proof. About 20-25% turnover every year in coaches and there's only 32 of them too. This is like the Supreme Court appointees, normally they're around for a long time and if you don't get along you're screwed until you move on because the ownership isn't going to change.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-13-2022, 12:18 PM
Fuck donk forever.

AND THEN PEE ON THEM

Rain Man
01-13-2022, 12:27 PM
Threads like this sometimes make me step back and realize how much I truly hate the broncos. Other than the fact that it's completely justified, my level of hatred is almost irrational.

ptlyon
01-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Threads like this sometimes make me step back and realize how much I truly hate the broncos. Other than the fact that it's completely justified, my level of hatred is almost irrational.

Not so my friend

Eureka
01-13-2022, 12:39 PM
Pat Bowlen was a great owner, but man did he raise some stupid, greedy, vindictive kids.

Also, signing Patrick and Sutton to those contracts at that time made zero sense.

Keep up the good work, Donks. :thumb:

What's the deal with Pat Bowlen's kids?

His son couldn't learn to take things over? Those daughters fighting for as much $$ as they cant get.

Molitoth
01-13-2022, 12:40 PM
If I am Aaron Rodgers, I'm not coming into the AFC west.

displacedinMN
01-13-2022, 12:40 PM
What on earth are they talking about? Is Denver really a primo franchise in this league?

It used to be. But then Elway.......

And Andy/Mahomes

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 12:45 PM

No, but I have recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I suppose that 'anything' can be appealed, but the wording was pretty specific and clear.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 12:47 PM
If I am Aaron Rodgers, I'm not coming into the AFC west.

Rodgers will retire a Packer.

St. Patty's Fire
01-13-2022, 12:53 PM

“Rich history at QB” yea, sure. They had elway for a good chunk then two good years out of Peyton. What about in between? That’s like saying the Chiefs have a rich history at QB bc of Mahomes and Dawson

ForeverIowan
01-13-2022, 12:55 PM
Pretty simple...if Denver doesnt land an elite QB and fast they are F'ed for the next 15 years. Mahomes and Herbert arent going anywhere.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2022, 12:57 PM
“Rich history at QB” yea, sure. They had elway for a good chunk then two good years out of Peyton. What about in between? That’s like saying the Chiefs have a rich history at QB bc of Mahomes and Dawson

Ah sorry. Between the two of them - they covered 20 seasons from 1984-2015 and there were 7 trips to the SB with 3 wins. Lots of winning in that span, so yeah - I'd call it rich.

Rain Man
01-13-2022, 01:06 PM

His son couldn't learn to take things over? Those daughters fighting for as much $$ as they cant get.

I don't know much about them, but didn't the son get arrested a few years back in some drug-fueled domestic violence incident? I could be wrong, but I have some vague memory of that. My hunch is that he's not the right material to own a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't know what the deal is with the daughters. I don't know if they really hate each other that much and are both that incompetent, or if the Joe Ellis team is actively undermining both of them for reasons of their own.

I have a hunch that there's a lot of Machiavellian stuff going on right now.

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-13-2022, 01:49 PM
Ah sorry. Between the two of them - they covered 20 seasons from 1984-2015 and there were 7 trips to the SB with 3 wins. Lots of winning in that span, so yeah - I'd call it rich.

Are you a Nebraska Cornhusker fan also... You sound a lot alike...;)

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2022, 02:08 PM
I'm listening to the MMQB podcast this morning describe the various head coaching vacancies around the NFL (including the Raiders, there's seven (https://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341832)).

They get to Denver, and they say this is actually a tricky situation for whomever the next coach ends up being.

They have signed a couple receivers who are kind of odd offensive fits to long-term contracts this past season, and few coaches are going to be able to get the most out of them. Plus the defense is fit specifically to Fangio's defensive tendencies, so you might be hamstrung to keep a lot of Fangio's defensive coaching staff, which is going to be tough especially for defensive minded coaches like Dan Quinn.

And of course, this is just me editorializing, but their QB position is a black hole -- they have no win-right-now talent and they have no real prospects to build from and their draft position is less than ideal.

And here's a couple more problems with it:
The team may be sold soon, so you don't know how long you're dealing with Bowlen and there's no guarantee the next owner will have any loyalty to you. They've been through a half-dozen coaches since Shanahan, with only John Fox getting more than two seasons because Peyton Manning fell into your lap. So you know the franchise isn't going to have patience for you to get the right pieces in place. You're in the AFC West anyway, where Mahomes and Herbert are going to rule for the next 15 years.

In other words: you're hamstrung in your coaching staff and on-field talent, you have a black hole at QB, you have no history of patience in ownership in a division that's going to be insanely difficult to win, and ownership may be changing soon anyway.

On paper, that's atrocious to me. The podcast argues it's not the worst head coaching gig out there (they say that's going to be Chicago or Miami), but it's objectively not great.

So here's what I don't understand, and I'm going to quote exactly what they say on the podcast:

What on earth are they talking about? Is Denver really a primo franchise in this league? Or are they just blowing smoke so it doesn't sound like they're completely negative on the franchise?

I've heard this a few times over the years, that the Broncos franchise is a key franchise in the NFL. I just really don't understand what the basis for that argument is.

Maybe somebody else does.

I promise you that as bad as you think it is, it's so much worse, but anyway

Bowlen is gone, no Bowlen runs the team at present. Unless something changes, no Bowlen will ever run the team again. It is run by Joe Ellis...not Elway. Joe Ellis is also 1 of the 3 people that are supposed to decide on which Bowlen kid gets the team or sell the team. The "Trust" won't name a kid, so they've opt'ed for option 2...sell the team. Something he and the Trust hasn't solved for going on 7 years. See the problem with that? Take Elway's name out of your mouth (all)...he's retiring...and he's made the Broncos franchise into one of the best ever despite the current woes. Don't believe that...think about it from 1983 until now. The team is about to be sold because Bowlen changed his trust agreement and the kids won't agree that Bethany ( the youngest daughter from the second marriage) should run the team as the designated owner. This has been the problem since 2015. No throat's are getting choked in the FO, Ellis sits on high and won't choose the person that will shit-can his ass, which has led to coaching/on-field performance issues.

As far as the Denver area, it's one of the best places to live on the planet. We just don't have an ocean. Players that play here tend to live here after their playing days are done or maintain property here. It's a huge draw for many, including pro athletes.

The Broncos are a "primo franchise" in the NFL. No doubt about it. That's why it's always an attractive job. When the franchise sells in the next year...it will sell for more money than any franchise in any sport on the planet ever at anywhere from 4 to 5 billion.

I do agree with the challenges (most if not all) you list about the current coaching gig, but it's not impossible overcome either compared to Chicago or Miami, etc.

Chief Pagan
01-13-2022, 02:16 PM
How on earth is Miami the best job?

Flores was saddled with meh talent, got them to play their tails off to probably their max levels, and got fired.

There's no job security there. The ownership makes their decisions using headless chicken.

I sure wouldn't describe Miami as the best job. But at the moment, if I was taking a HC job, I would take it over Denver.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2022, 02:22 PM

Spot on.

Chubb has been a bust when you think about it.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2022, 02:24 PM
If Manning buys the team they'll turn things around

Manning doesn't have enough money to "buy" the team. HE could be the designated owner of the team, but it would take the rest of his life to slowly buy up shares of the team until the point he was the sole owner.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2022, 02:27 PM

He's right, meaning MHM.

The Trust, which was changed after Bowlen was diagnosed with dementia, says the 3 person Trust will pick Bowlen child to be the designated owner. If no child fits the criteria, then the team is to be sold. Different, but just as shitty as what Jack Kent-Cooke did..../that's how the league got Dan Snyder.

Pitt Gorilla
01-13-2022, 02:29 PM
Spot on.

Meh, I'm just glad they took him over Josh Allen.

ptlyon
01-13-2022, 02:31 PM
Manning doesn't have enough money to "buy" the team. HE could be the designated owner of the team, but it would take the rest of his life to slowly buy up shares of the team until the point he was the sole owner.

Shouldn't have wasted all that money on performance enhancing drugs I guess

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2022, 02:32 PM

The son is douche on an Irsay level

The two daughters..Beth (from the first marriage) and Brittney (I called her Bethany earlier, whoops) are at odds, but only because Beth thinks she's qualified and Brittney is supposedly not ready yet (at least this was the story a few years ago.) The Trust favored Brittney...which caused all kinds of challenges to the Trust.

DJ's left nut
01-13-2022, 02:34 PM
Spot on.

You don't even have to think very hard.

And somehow most people will still tell you the Browns were stupid for taking Ward over him. Even though Ward's become one of the better CBs in football.

Chubbs coming up on his 5th year option deal and has all of 20 career sacks to this point. In the last 3 years he's played a total of 25 games and has 8 sacks in that time, with little in the way of pressures or hits to goose his productivity.

He's really been a complete non-factor apart from a good stretch during his rookie year. I haven't really thought about him since. He alternates injury with ineffectiveness at this stage of his career.

htismaqe
01-13-2022, 02:34 PM

Yeah, we're talking about potential price tag of $5B dollars. Manning would never be more than a minority owner. Even with his net worth, he's not of the "ownership" class.

htismaqe
01-13-2022, 02:36 PM
I sure wouldn't describe Miami as the best job. But at the moment, if I was taking a HC job, I would take it over Denver.

Sun, surf girls, and lots of blow. Miami is a paradise.

displacedinMN
01-13-2022, 03:56 PM

I dont think any former player has enough money to buy majority ownership in any team. Not even Shaq.

A-rod bought into the Timberwolves. But is not close to majority. Same with Mahomes/Royals.

Not bashing them. But If you want real money, go into business. Not Sports.

At one time Warren Buffet was making 34 million a day.

Eureka
01-13-2022, 04:06 PM

The two daughters..Beth (from the first marriage) and Brittney (I called her Bethany earlier, whoops) are at odds, but only because Beth thinks she's qualified and Brittney is supposedly not ready yet (at least this was the story a few years ago.) The Trust favored Brittney...which caused all kinds of challenges to the Trust.

The best thing for the family is to keep the team in their name and let one of them run it. It is a Cash cow for the family. It would seem each kid would get X amount of $ each year. Millions I'm guessing.

I'm thinking the others don't want Brittney getting that prestige of being the CEO.

EPodolak
01-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Another Broncos thread...

Gross.

eDave
01-13-2022, 04:09 PM
The best thing that team could do is to move on from Elway.

Spott
01-13-2022, 04:09 PM

Gross.

They should be posting all of this over on the orangmange for all of their die-hard faithful fans.

Rain Man
01-13-2022, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

Who is the three-person trust? I'd be really suspicious of them if any of them is participating in an ownership bid. Regardless of what happens, I bet some lawyers end up with vacation homes in Aruba.

Rasputin
01-13-2022, 06:17 PM

They need to quit letting Elway graze on the grass in the field he leaves horse manure and makes it slippery for the game and gross. That's why the field was in so bad condition.

displacedinMN
01-13-2022, 06:24 PM
They should be posting all of this over on the orangmange for all of their die-hard faithful fans.

wasnt that the board that failed too?

TEX
01-13-2022, 06:30 PM
wasnt that the board that failed too?

Yes. Now the DonkTards go to the Orange Huddle.

TEX
01-13-2022, 06:32 PM

Gross.

Yep. They suck. End of discussion / thread.

srvy
01-13-2022, 06:51 PM
Way too much thinking about the donkeys. We will play them next season we can ponder them then.

stumppy
01-13-2022, 07:50 PM
Yes. Now the DonkTards go to the Orange Huddle.

And they're all talking themselves into winning the Kirk Cousins lottery.LMAO

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2022, 07:55 PM

They did...over a year ago.

displacedinMN
01-13-2022, 08:28 PM
And they're all talking themselves into winning the Kirk Cousins lottery.LMAO

no way

the only one that wins is the one that loses him

Halfcan
01-13-2022, 09:22 PM

* Currently owning a 13 game losing streak to the KC Chiefs!

Chief Pagan
01-13-2022, 09:33 PM
Yeah, we're talking about potential price tag of $5B dollars. Manning would never be more than a minority owner. Even with his net worth, he's not of the "ownership" class.

He better start selling a lot more pizzas!

mnchiefsguy
01-14-2022, 12:23 AM
Primo franchise....first franchise ever to miss the playoffs six straight years after winning a Super Bowl.

Plus, if they were such a fucking Primo franchise.....they could at least take care of the fucking field in that piece of shit stadium they have. :)

Wisconsin_Chief
01-14-2022, 06:28 AM
The only way they have a chance is if they somehow land Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers.

Otherwise, they'll go through 3 more head coaches minimum the next 15 years while Mahomes and Herbert dominate the West. They're really pretty screwed, it's not often you get two young generational talents at QB in the same division. Pretty much makes the other 2 teams pretty obsolete.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2022, 09:11 AM
The only way they have a chance is if they somehow land Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers.

Otherwise, they'll go through 3 more head coaches minimum the next 15 years while Mahomes and Herbert dominate the West. They're really pretty screwed, it's not often you get two young generational talents at QB in the same division. Pretty much makes the other 2 teams pretty obsolete.

Just means you have to go find that 3rd generational QB to compete within the division. Sounds pretty easy, let's see how it goes.

DaFace
01-14-2022, 09:57 AM
Just means you have to go find that 3rd generational QB to compete within the division. Sounds pretty easy, let's see how it goes.

You at least have to try for that to work. Right now the Broncos are getting to see what the Chiefs dealt with for...well...most of my lifetime prior to 2018.

If I were a GM, I think I'd have a pace of drafting a QB in the first round once every three years until you hit on a keeper. Nothing else matters until that's in place.

Wisconsin_Chief
01-14-2022, 10:00 AM

You are actually right (except the part about it being easy :D).

This will at the very least prevent Denver from sticking with guys like Bridgewater for the next 15 years. You may as well keep swinging on prospects when you're dealing with Mahomes and Herbert. So in a way it will be beneficial for you as a fan. They won't be able to settle on rehashed QBs.

scho63
01-14-2022, 10:00 AM
All I know is Knowmo is a no-go

TimBone
01-14-2022, 02:37 PM
You at least have to try for that to work. Right now the Broncos are getting to see what the Chiefs dealt with for...well...most of my lifetime prior to 2018.

If I were a GM, I think I'd have a pace of drafting a QB in the first round once every three years until you hit on a keeper. Nothing else matters until that's in place.

I was just telling somebody I'd draft a QB in one of the first three rounds every year until I hit on the right one. Every year may be a bit much, but at least every other year.

Like you said, without the QB, what's the point of the rest of the team anyways?

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2022, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Who is the three-person trust? I'd be really suspicious of them if any of them is participating in an ownership bid. Regardless of what happens, I bet some lawyers end up with vacation homes in Aruba.

Exactly.

Team President Joe Ellis,
Broncos general counsel Rich Slivka,
Local attorney Mary Kelly

RedinTexas
01-14-2022, 02:44 PM

Just what do the words "generational quarterback" mean to you?

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2022, 02:45 PM

The challenge with Wilson is it requires a specialized offense that probably goes near out the window if the back-up has to play. Not impossible to overcome, but Rodgers would be better, and I don't think he's leaving GB at all.

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2022, 02:46 PM
It's also worth mentioning that Elway and Ellis are not a part of the coach selection. It's all on the GM and his process.

Bearcat
01-14-2022, 02:49 PM
Something I don't get about the title is why doesn't it simply say "Something I don't get about the Denver Broncos" or "Something I don't get about the Broncos".

Even though the latter could be confused for Ford Broncos or Boise State or Western Michigan.

Rain Man
01-14-2022, 03:08 PM
Something I don't get about the title is why doesn't it simply say "Something I don't get about the Denver Broncos" or "Something I don't get about the Broncos".

Even though the latter could be confused for Ford Broncos or Boise State or Western Michigan.

I'm assuming that actual bronco horses don't want to be affiliated with the football team, and he's respecting their wishes.

Buehler445
01-14-2022, 03:45 PM
A Donko Fan I know (she's OK I don't hold it against her) said that she had heard there was a time limit on how long they could drag out the... whatever shit is going on with the kids fighting. At least that's what Donk talk radio is saying.

It would be profoundly interesting if the new ownership moved ROFL

May they stay in mediocrity forever.

Fuck Donk Forever

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2022, 03:56 PM
A Donko Fan I know (she's OK I don't hold it against her) said that she had heard there was a time limit on how long they could drag out the... whatever shit is going on with the kids fighting. At least that's what Donk talk radio is saying.

It would be profoundly interesting if the new ownership moved ROFL

May they stay in mediocrity forever.

**** Donk Forever

That's correct. The league demands there be an owner. The league gave the Broncos a 5 year extension until 2023...and oh look...it's almost 2023. Strange how that works out. I would have given them 6 months. Time boxes work wonders.

Buehler445
01-14-2022, 04:05 PM
That's correct. The league demands there be an owner. The league gave the Broncos a 5 year extension until 2023...and oh look...it's almost 2023. Strange how that works out. I would have given them 6 months. Time boxes work wonders.

I didn't know that.

She made it sound like it was something regarding the trust. IDK

I'm not following the Donk fiasco, but it sounds like I should have....I love a good soap opera.

KChiefs1
01-14-2022, 04:07 PM
They sucked in the AFL days. Really weren’t relevant until the Orange Crush defense got them into relevance. I actually rooted for them when they had that going. Playing the Raiders & Cowboys helped too. Their success can be said in a couple of names…Elway & Manning. Without those 2 guys they are the Carolina Panthers or Tennessee Titans or Chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyHammersticks
01-14-2022, 04:14 PM
I don't know much about them, but didn't the son get arrested a few years back in some drug-fueled domestic violence incident? I could be wrong, but I have some vague memory of that. My hunch is that he's not the right material to own a multi-billion dollar company.

I don't know what the deal is with the daughters. I don't know if they really hate each other that much and are both that incompetent, or if the Joe Ellis team is actively undermining both of them for reasons of their own.

I have a hunch that there's a lot of Machiavellian stuff going on right now.

His son is a total bro d-bag. Got some chick up into his place in one of the towers next to Denver Country Club and - according to her - wouldn't let her leave, or something like that. Got physical with her, lied to the cops, etc etc. And I think you're right, cops found some drugs. Might've just been weed, I can't remember. But he came off as a entitled idiot who didn't think laws applied to him. Blew any chance he had at taking over - which is probably best for their franchise. Seemed like a young Dan Snyder in the making.

Then I think the daughters and the son basically formed two opposing factions, both trying to get control of the ownership and it turned ugly and neither side got control. Now they're selling and family members hate each other. A real shame...

https://media.giphy.com/media/PEtL0mS2JXMBi/giphy.gif

RealSNR
01-14-2022, 04:15 PM

Your GM is scared of pulling the trigger on one.

TimBone
01-14-2022, 04:58 PM

Even though the latter could be confused for Ford Broncos or Boise State or Western Michigan.Until he added the bit in parentheses, I thought he was referring to the last dinosaur.

Rainbarrel
01-14-2022, 09:20 PM
Steelers need a QB, Saints need a QB, Colts, Dolphins, Browns... Why go to Denver

Chief Pagan
01-14-2022, 09:41 PM
Just what do the words "generational quarterback" mean to you?

It means they should give up multiple first, second, and third round picks to go get their guy.