PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Anyone have any knowledge/experience on Stem Cell Injections for Arthitis

Buehler445
09-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Backstory.

39. Had arthritis awhile. This spring MRI showed I had no cartilage on the back of my kneecap.

I went back to my GP today and asked him about stem cells (again). He's very much an FDA type approach to things. It has to perform as expected for 2 standard deviations of a statistically significant sample size or it has no value.

I explained to him I'm 39, and at this point I'm probably willing to risk some capital on something that may or may not work because fuck, man, I'm 39.

He kind of agreed that I should at least entertain it. I was hoping to get out of him some background information on the different types, practitioners, and what questions I need to ask. All I could get out of him was a group in Manhattan has done quite a few and I need to ask about the results on a cohort of my age group, because I'm probably not the standard patient here.

/backstory

Google hasn't been particularly helpful in terms of nailing down the details of this stuff. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or whatever.

It appears there are some different types out there. And no clue about whether or not it will work on fully degraded cartilage.

Any information/experiences would be helpful here.

Iowanian
09-02-2022, 01:01 PM
I saw a couple of podcasts about the types of stem cell treatments in Panama. you might look into that.

We had a family friend that went to Minnesota I think to have stem cell treatments/shots in his degenerating ankles that had good success.
I think they took fat from his midline, spun it down and grew it into the good stuff.

Chiefnj2
09-02-2022, 01:04 PM
If you find any studies that show x-ray or MRI proof of cartilage regrowth I’d love to read it.

The theory sounds good but I haven’t seen any study showing it works.

Buehler445
09-02-2022, 01:17 PM
If you find any studies that show x-ray or MRI proof of cartilage regrowth I’d love to read it.

I do not. However, Dad had bilateral knee replacements. One guy that was in PT with him did stem cells in lieu of knee replacements. That one off experience is enough for me to even take a look, but I don't want to go off all half cocked.

BIG_DADDY
09-02-2022, 02:02 PM
I saw a couple of podcasts about the types of stem cell treatments in Panama. you might look into that.

We had a family friend that went to Minnesota I think to have stem cell treatments/shots in his degenerating ankles that had good success.
I think they took fat from his midline, spun it down and grew it into the good stuff.

There are plenty of places to do it in this country. FYI I am about to do some due diligence in this area. I am meeting with different doctors over the next couple months as I am in no rush. Most people I have met who have done stem cells have had improvement, some significantly.

Dr. Arthur Ting is my orthopedic surgeon, one of the best in the world. My understanding is there is still no way to produce cartilage regrowth.

I do not. However, Dad had bilateral knee replacements. One guy that was in PT with him did stem cells in lieu of knee replacements. That one off experience is enough for me to even take a look, but I don't want to go off all half cocked.

Technology in this area is about to change. There is a company out of Austin 3-D printing your exact joint. I don't know all the details but I know the orthopedic community is pretty excited about the potential. Personally I will wait as long as possible to see if this is all they are making it out to be. I need knee and shoulder replacement at some point. I tore this body up but had a good time doing it.

Perineum Ripper
09-02-2022, 02:54 PM
I gave the wife a stem cell injection, don’t know if that helps.

https://i.giphy.com/media/sgZdwNkOH43wZOEUJ2/giphy.webp

ModSocks
09-02-2022, 03:07 PM
Depends on the quality of the fetuses TBH.

lewdog
09-02-2022, 09:10 PM
My dad was dealing with terrible Achilles pain. Only thing that eventually worked was stem cell injections. Well worth the money if you're living with pain.

Kman34
09-02-2022, 09:51 PM
Worked on my shoulder not on my knee. Success is very limited on knees. Can't regrow cartilage..

Jewish Rabbi
09-02-2022, 09:54 PM
They perform this kinda operation in Belize?

Buehler445
09-02-2022, 11:09 PM
Worked on my shoulder not on my knee. Success is very limited on knees. Can't regrow cartilage..

That’s what I was afraid of. I’ll probably still look into it. The cartilage in my joint is still there. Just not on the patella

R Clark
09-03-2022, 07:29 AM

Rogan had someone on that went to Panama with great results,I’ve talked to several older men who went to manhattan Ks and had it done and it seemed hit or miss.

BigRedChief
09-03-2022, 07:34 AM
I worked for a medical science research facility for awhile a couple of years ago. Tech stuff not medical. What I was told by the actual research scientists and doctors....

There is no way to regrow cartilage in a knee. Period. Full stop. Don't fall for that quackery that says its possible.

Yes, 3D printing is promising for all our body parts but its still at least 10 years away from mainstream FDA approval.

Stem cell injections help some but not all. Knee replacement works for everyone but it feels different and some hate it after replacement.

We are about 20 years from routine 3D replacement of bad parts on our body,

tmax63
09-03-2022, 02:42 PM
Mandy Connell on 850 KOA AM radio advertises, has had it done, and swears by it. Don't know if you can get on their (KOA's) website and look up her blog or past shows when she had the Dr's who did hers on the program and talked about it.

DCTwister
09-03-2022, 07:09 PM
I had stem cell injection + PRP in my shoulder a year and a half ago. Was 50 years old with lingering effects from sports, untreated torn labrum and torn rotator cuff from 30 years ago. 1 1/2 years later, the labrum is 100%, and the rotator cuff is is probably 75% better. Getting back to benching sort of heavy for an old guy that couldn’t bench for 10 years. I’d say yeah, while the rotator cuff isn’t 100%, it’s been effective. While surgery may be covered by insurance, getting cut open doesn’t always fix it either. I’m happy. Cost me $5K to do both spots in the shoulder and also drain a cyst. Not covered by insurance. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I think someone else said for the knees, you can’t just regrow cartilage, which makes sense to me. But I think in terms of muscle tears, you can help the tissue heal.