PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Super Bowl penalty/TD hypothetical

mr. tegu
03-03-2023, 02:55 PM
Perhaps it’s been discussed but if Mahomes completes the pass to JuJu for a TD, would you have wanted them to accept the holding penalty and take points off the board or keep the TD? I’m quite certain Mahomes wasn’t really trying for a completion but it’s interesting to consider. I would definitely want them to accept the penalty and take away the TD but I know a lot of people would say never take points off the board. I really don’t know what Reid would have done either. What do you think?

ptlyon
03-03-2023, 02:59 PM
You don't take points off the board especially when you left a few out there already

cmh6476
03-03-2023, 03:00 PM
this should go well

Megatron96
03-03-2023, 04:23 PM
Thought we did this already?

Lzen
03-03-2023, 04:26 PM
You keep the points. There was no guarantee that Philly would drive it down and score a TD. If memory serves, they had under 2 minutes and only 1 timeout.

Chief Pagan
03-03-2023, 05:31 PM
Thought we did this already?

Yup, it was covered at the time. If you think the RB sliding and not scoring is the correct play, and I do, then you take the points off.

Unless of course you make coaching decisions based on fear of the angry mob when even though you made the best decision things didn't work out because football.

Ming the Merciless
03-03-2023, 05:51 PM
very interesting question. i think taking the points off the board, and accepting the penalty would be the best option, considering it was a chip shot and easy clock run-out

Dante84
03-03-2023, 05:55 PM
very interesting question. i think taking the points off the board, and accepting the penalty would be the best option, considering it was a chip shot and easy clock run-out

+ it was a tied game, and not a situation where we were behind on point.

TwistedChief
03-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Yup, it was covered at the time. If you think the RB sliding and not scoring is the correct play, and I do, then you take the points off.

Unless of course you make coaching decisions based on fear of the angry mob when even though you made the best decision things didn't work out because football.

This and it’s not even close.

Those thinking you keep the TD aren’t seeing things clearly.

Bowser
03-03-2023, 06:03 PM

Different points of the game with different time left on the clock which dictate different strategies. JuJu scores and you take it, but Jet sliding down and NOT taking it AT THAT POINT IN THE GAME is absolutely the right call as it forced the Eagles to burn the timeouts and the clock, obv.

I certainly understand the call to accept the penalty and decline the TD, but at that point had you scored, I don't see how you don't take the 7 points.

Megatron96
03-03-2023, 06:06 PM
Meh. it could be argued either way. As an old school thinker, it's tough to take points off the board, especially a TD. And there's no certainty that PHI would've come back and scored a TD. Our defense had managed two stops in the 2nd half, allowing just one touchdown, and with 1:40 or whatever left on the clock and just one TO, it's not the worst idea in the world to put it on their young QB/OC to force them to be perfect. Which is situationally exactly where Spags defenses excel. And Hurts was one of the worst QBs under pressure in 2022, so why not?

But I was quite loudly yelling at McKinnon to slide at the end, so like I said, it could be argued either way.

mlyonsd
03-03-2023, 06:06 PM
I'd like to know how Andy would answer the question.

Wallcrawler
03-03-2023, 07:20 PM
You keep the ball, burn the remaining time, and kick the fg.

Defense stepped on their dicks all night. Dongs were yard sprinklers by the end of the night it was so bad. As much as this guy bitch handles Lamar Jackson, I thought for sure the d would be much better.

Spags was bummed that Jet slid and his unit didn't get the chance to close the game out.

Don't surrender 35, with massive backbreaking gaffes, and your boys might get the nod. Until then, you, and your yard sprinkler dicked defensive unit go ahead and enjoy that textbook close out to the game with Butker getting massive redemption making the kicks to win both AFCCG and Superbowl games.

No sane, rational person would trot that defense back out there and allow the Philadelphia Eagles an opportunity with 1:30 and a timeout to go down and answer for a tie or possible cheese play sneak run for the 10th time for the 2 pointer to win.

You just remove any chance for them to answer. Any other noise rattling around in your head is just pride messing with you.

Go pound your chest Steve, and tell everyone we wouldve stopped em anyway. Maybe you're right.

The important thing is that we won't ever find out you were wrong.

Megatron96
03-03-2023, 07:22 PM
I'd like to know how Andy would answer the question.

More than anything, so would I.:thumb:

Spott
03-03-2023, 08:07 PM
Probably the only time in my life I didn’t want the Chiefs to get a TD. You just know the Eagles would have went for 2 if they get a TD at the end.

Gary Cooper
03-03-2023, 08:22 PM
Take the penalty. Screw the points.

What's more likely to happen? Butker missing a 25 yard FG or the defense holding the Eagles off the scoreboard with 1:30 to go?

Maybe Butker slips and misses, maybe he doesn't. Remember that he made every extra point in the game from longer distance. But the defense was gassed and pushed around the entire game. They weren't stopping anyone there.

This is a no brainer. The penalty basically ended the game.

digger
03-03-2023, 08:25 PM
Perhaps it’s been discussed but if Mahomes completes the pass to JuJu for a TD, would you have wanted them to accept the holding penalty and take points off the board or keep the TD? I’m quite certain Mahomes wasn’t really trying for a completion but it’s interesting to consider. I would definitely want them to accept the penalty and take away the TD but I know a lot of people would say never take points off the board. I really don’t know what Reid would have done either. What do you think?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/55/24/0755249c1c931d3e7267671eff45d730.jpg

suzzer99
03-03-2023, 10:22 PM
People saying you can't take points off the board. They literally took points off the board when McKinnon slid.

Accepting the holding penalty if JuJu scored the TD would have been the exact same situation. You can run the clock to near zero.

Can anyone remember a situation like this where a team accepted a penalty and took a TD off the board in order to burn clock? I can't.

Chiefshrink
03-03-2023, 10:30 PM
You keep the points. There was no guarantee that Philly would drive it down and score a TD. If memory serves, they had under 2 minutes and only 1 timeout.

and our defense had 2 stops already in the 2nd half.

Chief Pagan
03-03-2023, 10:53 PM
and our defense had 2 stops already in the 2nd half.

Yea, but obviously Philly is going for it on fourth and anything.

And who knows, maybe the refs suddenly feel a need to call PI again. Even if in this hypothetical KC had declined the penalty.

MahomesMagic
03-03-2023, 11:46 PM
Church mode.

cdcox
03-04-2023, 12:10 AM
I believe Jerick McKinnon already answered this question.

KC_Connection
03-04-2023, 01:01 AM
It seems counterintuitive (and I doubt Andy would have ever had the balls to do it), but the answer is clear. You absolutely take the penalty, run the time off the clock, and kick the FG. Worst case scenario, you miss the FG and go to OT. Best case scenario (and the very likely scenario) was what happened and you win the SB. If you take the TD (and don't successfully go for 2), you can still very easily lose in regulation and that was a distinct possibility the way Hurts was playing.

This distinction also makes Bradberry's hold obviously even dumber on his part. It was the worst thing he could possibly do on that play.

Wallcrawler
03-04-2023, 09:25 AM
Anyone on the fence still, just go back and watch the final minute and a half of the first half. The difference is that the Eagles had 2 timeouts instead of one, and were in a mode with being okay with just a field goal.

They literally went right down the field on us easy as shitting water after a meal at KFC.

No way you give Hurts the ball in absolute do or die mode here.

notorious
03-04-2023, 09:36 AM
Take the penalty every damn time.

No question.

Molitoth
03-04-2023, 09:39 AM
I should have more faith in Butker, but considering he had already missed a FG in the game, and has had problems with short chip-shot extra points... I would not have taken points off the board.

I just hate trusting kickers.

TwistedChief
03-04-2023, 09:40 AM
Anyone on the fence still, just go back and watch the final minute and a half of the first half. The difference is that the Eagles had 2 timeouts instead of one, and were in a mode with being okay with just a field goal.

They literally went right down the field on us easy as shitting water after a meal at KFC.

No way you give Hurts the ball in absolute do or die mode here.

Not to mention that if they score a TD, I guarantee you they’re going for 2 to end it.

The idea that you’d rather give them the ball up 7 with 1 TO and plenty of time rather than have Butker kick a short FG with almost no time left is crazy.

If the Chiefs had been down by 1 instead of tied, that changes the calculus a bit, but the answer is still likely the same.

crayzkirk
03-04-2023, 09:52 AM
Have to admit if the roles were switched, we would want Philly to score a TD and give the ball back to KC. I didn't like the squib kick which gave them the ball close to the 40. I was actually surprised when Philly punted from the 33 as they were almost automatic on the push play. Similar to the game against the 49ers, the coach got cold feet and quit doing what was working and allowed the Chiefs to gain confidence and take over the game.

Either way, doesn't make any sense to spend time on 'what if'.

Red Dawg
03-04-2023, 09:59 AM
A better question is what if Pdwg runs to the house? Their safety stopped a 50 yard td run. He was the only player in his way.