PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Remember when we used to beg for even ONE prime time game matchup?

Trivers
05-15-2023, 03:09 PM
We have arrived...in TV Media's eyes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/15/2023-nfl-schedule-release-cowboys-chiefs-jets-foster-moreau

Mile High Mania
05-15-2023, 03:10 PM
KC should max out the primetime slots annually for the next 10-12 years, easy.

Mecca
05-15-2023, 03:11 PM
Uh yea there's an interview on Rich Eisen show with Jim Nantz where he basically says they went in having to get 3 games and they were all KC games and then he says KC Is box office like Dallas etc, right up there as the most important team to TV.

Bearcat
05-15-2023, 03:17 PM
Chiefs, Cowboys on Their Own Tier When It Comes to the NFL Schedule

Next week, the spring league meeting and OTAs kick off. Until then, we have some takeaways after last week’s NFL schedule release …

The NFL people I talked to last week uniformly said the biggest change this year in the scheduling challenge was working off the blank slate that dropping conference network affiliations created. That said, those worried that they’ll be nostalgic for the NFC on Fox or the AFC on CBS in the coming years don’t have much to get worked up over.

While those networks don’t have ownership of those games anymore—creating a situation where the broadcast partners were competing for marquee games, rather than taking them away from one another—there are still minimums in place, so there’s a baseline of AFC games on CBS and NFC games on Fox. Also, the broadcast setup is still largely the same, and, when it came time to horse trade, it was obvious to everyone how CBS and Fox leaned.

“It’s really important for Fox and CBS, they are committed—We are the network of the NFC at Fox, and We’re the network of the AFC at CBS,” says NFL VP of broadcasting Onnie Bose. “And so those minimum number of games retain that identity. The plurality of Chiefs and Bills and Bengals games will appear on CBS. And the plurality of Cowboys and Bears and Rams games will appear on Fox. So that’s the building block of it. And, really, we talked about it earlier, the nature of the politicking changed for the top-end games; it’s not taking it away or keeping it. We were going to distribute those as equitably as possible.

“And then on Sunday afternoon, where most of our games are played, and most of our games are consumed by fans, it gave us the flexibility where, once you meet the minimum, once the computer knows it’s got the minimums for every team that it’s obligated to provide, it’s able to build out a Sunday afternoon on CBS or Fox making sure that we have strong windows. We always want to have interesting games and a mix of geography across Sunday at 1 and Sunday at 4:25.”

The NFL’s been coy about the minimums. But I can tell you that the minimums are set on a per-team basis—CBS is guaranteed a certain amount of games with each AFC team, and Fox is guaranteed a certain amount of games with each NFC team. And if you want to read the tea leaves here, the Chiefs and Cowboys would be on their own tier as far as desirability to the networks goes, and Kansas City has eight games on CBS, and Dallas has eight games on Fox.

While we’re there, the schedule release is also almost always a good indicator of the Q rating of every team. From that perspective, Bose and NFL VP of broadcast planning Mike North were very open with me last week in saying that, again, the Cowboys and Chiefs are in their own tier in that department. And that much is obvious in some of the between-the-lines messaging that came with the schedule release.

• NFL teams can be scheduled for a max of six prime-time games in May, with the league retaining the ability to push that number to seven if it so desires through flex scheduling later in the year. Dallas and Kansas City were, indeed, among the four teams that maxed out with six prime-time games. Buffalo and the Chargers were the other two, and it’s not a coincidence that it took being part of the Peacock exclusive game, to be streamed on Saturday night of Christmas weekend, for those two to get there.

• You may think that pins the league in a bit on the Cowboys and Chiefs. But the NFL already has those two in so many prime-time, stand-alone and 4:25 (rather than 4:05) p.m. ET windows, that it’s unlikely they’d have to flex one of those two. And even if the league tried, it’s a good bet Fox and CBS would protect those games from being flexed.

• That brings us to the other way you can see how sought after a team’s games are—who has the fewest games that aren’t in a prime-time, stand-alone or the 4:25 p.m. ET window. Dallas has two the entire year (Week 8 vs. the Rams, Week 11 at Carolina). The Chiefs have only one (Week 2 at Jacksonville). Philly is another team with a low number, coming in with just four. And Buffalo has only five, with, interestingly enough, old ratings darling New England accounting for two of those five.

• My sense, talking to those guys, was the Monday Night Football window for Aaron Rodgers’s debut as a Jet, at home against Buffalo, was appealing in large part because of the engine that ESPN has to keep the conversation on the game, and Rodgers, going all day long coming out of the first Sunday of games. Five of the Jets’ first 11 games will be stand-alone, national broadcasts, which will satiate the public’s desire to see where that story goes. The Jets then start December with four consecutive 1 p.m. kickoffs, meaning, if they’re as good as some expect, they’ll be a prime flex candidate.

• I figured the league would want to hold back the Bengals and Bills games, and not schedule what could be pivotal AFC showdowns in the kickoff slot, and the league went further than just that—positioning all three games between the conference’s top contenders on the back end of the schedule. The Bengals and Bills face off Nov. 5 on Sunday Night Football, while the Chiefs get both in December (Buffalo on the 10th, and Cincinnati on New Year’s Eve).

And, as is always the case, a bunch of things will probably look differently in November than they do now, so we’ll see how much of this applies. That is, other than the Cowboys drawing ratings—I’m convinced at this point they could put their practice squad out there, and, as long as they were in those uniforms, it’d draw a number.

MatriculatingHank
05-15-2023, 03:18 PM
Just more opportunities for Prescott to be exposed for the overhyped player he is

ModSocks
05-15-2023, 03:21 PM
When i was younger i really wanted primetime games.

But being on the West coast, i've really learned to love the early games.

10am Chiefs games are awesome. No waiting around.

notorious
05-15-2023, 03:24 PM
How Dallas is still a draw is mind-boggling.

They haven't done shit for 30 years.

Mecca
05-15-2023, 03:26 PM

Texas has a massive population and the viewing audience skews older, alot of kids that were into the Cowboys still are as adults.

DJJasonp
05-15-2023, 03:27 PM

they have a really, REALLY big scoreboard!

suzzer99
05-15-2023, 03:32 PM
All those years we thought it was coastal bias. Turns out it was just because we didn't have a generational QB.

AdolfOliverBush
05-15-2023, 03:34 PM

Mexicans and rednecks. There are a lot of both.

Zebedee DuBois
05-15-2023, 04:44 PM
Part of me misses the Sunday noon games. You don't miss the start of a game due to a prior game going to overtime

Bowser
05-15-2023, 04:46 PM
Now other teams are begging for at least one primetime matchup involving them that does NOT involve the Chiefs.

Zebedee DuBois
05-15-2023, 04:47 PM
Also, the people of Texas are unconstrained by the so-called realities of win-loss records, head-to-head outcomes, or factual logic of any kind.

CaliforniaChief
05-15-2023, 05:12 PM
I'm glad there's a way to know we're in the good old days before we left them.

RedinTexas
05-15-2023, 05:22 PM
Also, the people of Texas are unconstrained by the so-called realities of win-loss records, head-to-head outcomes, or factual logic of any kind.

Living in Texas during football season became a lot more bearable with the decline of the Cowboys. Even more so with the ascendance of the greatest team in the history of any sport ever.

ku_jhawk23
05-15-2023, 05:27 PM
We have arrived...in TV Media's eyes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/15/2023-nfl-schedule-release-cowboys-chiefs-jets-foster-moreau

We have never played a season without a primetime game. When did we beg?

ThyKingdomCome15
05-15-2023, 05:41 PM
Almost every game is prime time, really. Every 3:25 game will be shown almost nationally. KC is must see TV, especially with KC going undefeated this year.

smithandrew051
05-15-2023, 05:44 PM
My favorite team is the Chiefs

notorious
05-15-2023, 05:44 PM
Texas has a massive population and the viewing audience skews older, alot of kids that were into the Cowboys still are as adults.

Sounds like a lot of butt-****ing morons.

ChiefsCountry
05-15-2023, 05:56 PM
The 3:25 games are my favorite

BigRedChief
05-15-2023, 06:24 PM
The 3:25 games are my favorite

They are the worst for our chapters. Parking, seating is a bitch.

DRM08
05-15-2023, 06:24 PM

The entire state of Texas is forced to see the Dallas Cowboy games whether they want to watch or not. That's not necessarily the case for the Houston Texans, who are not guaranteed airtime in Texas outside the Houston market.

Megatron96
05-15-2023, 06:34 PM
Lol, yeah I remember. When I was living in CA 22-25 years ago I was lucky if I saw a Chiefs game in a season, because they didn't get many PT games.

Really great that they're now so big a draw that I can watch them nearly any week without leaving my living room.

Gary Cooper
05-15-2023, 06:37 PM
I wish every game started at 12:00, but not if that means we don't have Mahomes. I guess you can't have both.

Let's just say 12:00 pm starts is what I miss the most about the pre-Mahomes era.

Quesadilla Joe
05-15-2023, 06:56 PM
Can’t relate

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Broncos are 1-of-6 teams set to appear on primetime this season on Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football and NFL Network.<br><br>Denver&#39;s 141 primetime appearances over the last 40 years are the 2nd most of any NFL team in that time (Dallas, 158). <a href="https://t.co/eZZ9xeuJwf">https://t.co/eZZ9xeuJwf</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Smyth (@psmyth12) <a href="https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/1657081246391095296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 12, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chief Pagan
05-15-2023, 07:02 PM

Are the Cowboys or Chargers winning the SB this offseason?

notorious
05-15-2023, 07:03 PM
The entire state of Texas is forced to see the Dallas Cowboy games whether they want to watch or not. That's not necessarily the case for the Houston Texans, who are not guaranteed airtime in Texas outside the Houston market.

Steers, queers, and butt-fucking morons.

Chieftain
05-15-2023, 07:03 PM
Can you relate to 17 straight Ls?

notorious
05-15-2023, 07:04 PM
Can you relate to 17 straight Ls?

Maybe he will relate to 19.

IowaHawkeyeChief
05-15-2023, 07:51 PM
Can’t relate

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Broncos are 1-of-6 teams set to appear on primetime this season on Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football and NFL Network.<br><br>Denver&#39;s 141 primetime appearances over the last 40 years are the 2nd most of any NFL team in that time (Dallas, 158). <a href="https://t.co/eZZ9xeuJwf">https://t.co/eZZ9xeuJwf</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Smyth (@psmyth12) <a href="https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/1657081246391095296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 12, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
My god, it's because who you are playing this year... Once Sean Payton flames out, you will be still be in some primetime games because you play the Chiefs twice... LMAO

FloridaMan88
05-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Jim Nantz thinks he and Romo will announce potentially up to nine Chiefs games this season…

Link: https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/jim-nantz-tony-romo-nine-kansas-city-chiefs-games-season.html

According to Jim Nantz, the broadcasting duo has the potential to call as many as nine Kansas City Chiefs games next season.

“The first one I see is Kansas City vs. Minnesota, Week 5,” Nantz said to Rich Eisen on Friday when asked how many Chiefs games he expects to cover this year. “KC is arguably the biggest catch in the entire schedule for anybody. We know about the Dallas history, everybody wants the Cowboys, but KC is on that level now as the champs with Mahomes.

“Two weeks later, Week 7 to be exact, I anticipate we’ll be doing Chargers at KC… And then we’ll see them again Weeks 14, 16, and 17…in the month of December, [I’m] basically gonna live in KC. I’ve got Buffalo at KC Week 14, Vegas at KC on Christmas Day, Cincinnati at KC on New Year’s Eve, so those are blockbuster games. Buffalo and Cincinnati, especially.

Eisen then added that “You may have, who knows, obviously, back-to-back-to-back Chiefs games when the playoffs begin.”

Nantz said that it’s hard to predict how things will play out, but “there’s a really strong chance we’d see them Divisional Weekend and AFC Championship Week, and maybe even in Las Vegas [for Super Bowl LVIII]. So, you add it up, if they were to make that kind of run all the way to the Super Bowl, I think it adds up to nine games that we would see… Eight or nine games of the Chiefs.”

The longtime broadcaster added that it’s not uncommon for him to follow a notable team for a large portion of an NFL season.

“This is what it used to be like…back in the Brady-Belichick days,” Nantz said. “Phil [Simms] and I would do 8 or 9 Patriots games a year, riding them through the playoffs and the regular season. They were the flagship team of the network at that time and rightfully so, and KC is in this era.”

big nasty kcnut
05-15-2023, 08:44 PM
How does denver still get prime time games? Also Dallas jerry jones got blackmail stuff on goodell and the league.

RedinTexas
05-16-2023, 06:09 AM
How does denver still get prime time games? Also Dallas jerry jones got blackmail stuff on goodell and the league.

If Jerry Jones had blackmail stuff on Goodell, he'd use it. He hates Goodell almost as much as I do.

ReynardMuldrake
05-16-2023, 07:34 AM

What kinda name is Onnie Bose? You know that guy has to look like a cartoon character.

AdolfOliverBush
05-16-2023, 12:01 PM
Meh, I prefer late afternoon games.

scho63
05-16-2023, 12:03 PM
Growing up a Chiefs fan in New Jersey, I would be lucky to see the Chiefs on TV 1-2 times a year MAX; always a Raiders/Chiefs game late from Oakland and other times against the Broncos if lucky.

We rarely played the Giants, Jets or Eagles so no NY or Philly channels to watch.

I think we may have been on MNF about 3-4 times over 25 years.

From 1970 until the late 80's/early 90's when sports bars started to pop up all over with ALL the games on did I start seeing them every week.

Even early on then, many times I would go to a bar and they wouldn't put the Chiefs game on any TV. It sucked! Imagine walking into a bar to see the Chiefs and seeing the Jets vs the Browns on 11 of the 28 TV's?

Chiefs4TheWin
05-16-2023, 12:55 PM
Growing up a Chiefs fan in New Jersey, I would be lucky to see the Chiefs on TV 1-2 times a year MAX; always a Raiders/Chiefs game late from Oakland and other times against the Broncos if lucky.

We rarely played the Giants, Jets or Eagles so no NY or Philly channels to watch.

I think we may have been on MNF about 3-4 times over 25 years.

From 1970 until the late 80's/early 90's when sports bars started to pop up all over with ALL the games on did I start seeing them every week.

Even early on then, many times I would go to a bar and they wouldn't put the Chiefs game on any TV. It sucked! Imagine walking into a bar to see the Chiefs and seeing the Jets vs the Browns on 11 of the 28 TV's?

They got a lot of games in the Pittsburgh area shown in the late 80s early 90s when I became a fan. As we got worse I had to struggle to watch games for the longest time.

Now I don't care whether we get primetime or not I watch all the games. Streaming has saved being an out of state fan.

FlaChief58
05-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Before I left the workforce, I absolutely hated prime time games since I live on the east coast. Now I don't mind them at all. I have all day to do what I need to around the house, take a nap before game time, and don't have to worry about drinking too much so as not to be hung over the next day. I still prefer 1pm Sunday games, but if not it's no big deal

philfree
05-16-2023, 01:18 PM
This schedule makes it difficult to go to a game if you live out of town. Between the Monday Night games, Thursday Night games, Christmas Day game and New Years Eve game there's not many options. Used to be that we could buy tickets to noon game, drive up in the morning, tailgate for a little while, go watch the game and be south of KC headed home to Springfield by 5:00. We'd get home and be able to watch Sunday Night football. That isn't possible with this years schedule. Except for the Christmas Day game there are no nooners and that sucks. That said if we win another SB this year I can deal with it and be very happy.

loochy
05-16-2023, 01:29 PM
Can’t relate

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 503px; height: 780px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW5 0X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI 6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ 0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21 peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVudCIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29 va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3Nob3dfYmlyZHdhdGNoX3Bpdm9 0c19lbmFibGVkIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19kdXBsaWNhdGVfc2NyaWJlc190b19zZXR0aW5 ncyI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdXNlX3Byb2ZpbGVfaW1hZ2Vfc2hhcGVfZW5hYmxlZCI6eyJ idWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdmlkZW9faGxzX2R5bmFtaWNfbWFuaWZlc3RzXzE1MDgyIjp7ImJ1Y2t ldCI6InRydWVfYml0cmF0ZSIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfbGVnYWN5X3RpbWVsaW5lX3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnR ydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx 9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1657081246391095296&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com%2FBB%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26p%3D16946065&sessionId=e12001dd807fa3920c533772ce2af3cd52f559e8&theme=light&widgetsVersion=aaf4084522e3a%3A1674595607486&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1657081246391095296" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, look at that schedule! I predict:

L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
L
<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2b2d73daf636805223fb11d48f3e94f7.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

redfan
05-16-2023, 01:30 PM
I never heard anybody beg. Who begged?

loochy
05-16-2023, 01:37 PM

Your mom

scho63
05-16-2023, 03:36 PM

You made that too easy.

Just like your Mom. ROFL

Bearcat
05-16-2023, 03:40 PM

There was quite a bit of butthurt around here for years because the Chiefs weren't on prime time, plus a lot of people who generally thought the Chiefs deserved respect they never actually earned.

And it makes some sense when you look at the number of prime time games the Cowboys get, or the Broncos the past couple seasons.

But yeah, a lot of shouting at clouds because the mediocre Chiefs weren't closer to the center of the NFL universe.