PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Just give KC an NHL team already…

CanadaKC
05-18-2023, 01:22 AM
The Arizona Coyotes are such a bad joke over how many years now? Citizens there just voted down another arena deal and now the team has to play another season in Mullet Arena… a college facility maxing out at 6 thousand in attendance. WTF Bettman? Give it up already! KC has long deserved an NHL team and would far more support an NHL team better than a city that’s so not hockey it’s ridiculous

ThyKingdomCome15
05-18-2023, 02:07 AM
I like the Chiefs personally.

FloridaMan88
05-18-2023, 02:56 AM
Coyotes and DeAndre Hopkins in exchange for CEH.

AussieChiefsFan
05-18-2023, 02:58 AM
By September would be great so I can catch a game.

Spott
05-18-2023, 04:59 AM
I envision a day where we could all gather together with our Cameros at Mullet Arena.

displacedinMN
05-18-2023, 05:37 AM
serious question.

Could the Sprint/whaterver center put things together for a hockey team in 5 months?

RedinTexas
05-18-2023, 05:52 AM
Would KC support them? It's been a very long time since I lived in KC, but I don't recall much NHL interest. Has that changed now?

loochy
05-18-2023, 06:00 AM
The Arizona Coyotes are such a bad joke over how many years now? Citizens there just voted down another arena deal and now the team has to play another season in Mullet Arena… a college facility maxing out at 6 thousand in attendance. WTF Bettman? why can't they play in the footprint center (the Suns' stadium)?

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 06:10 AM
serious question.

Could the Sprint/whaterver center put things together for a hockey team in 5 months?

They play exhibition NHL games there, so I'd think it's possible.

Hell, whatever they could come up with is probably better than a 5k seat arena in a town that has no interest in keeping them around long term.

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 06:14 AM
why can't they play in the footprint center (the Suns' stadium)?

I believed they're looking into it for next season, but not ideal long term.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footprint_Center

When the original Winnipeg Jets publicly announced their intention to relocate to Phoenix for the 1996–97 NHL season, the arena was quickly reconfigured to accommodate ice hockey. Unlike most multipurpose arenas, it was not designed with an ice hockey rink in mind. Its tight seating configuration suits basketball very well, but made it logistically difficult to fit a standard NHL rink onto the floor. The lower level had to be sheared in half to fit the rink and create retractable seating.

As it turned out, the result was completely inadequate for the Coyotes. Three entire sections at one end of the ice hung over the boards. Fans sitting in those sections could not see 1⁄4 of the ice (including one of the nets) except on the video boards.[17] The problem was so serious that after the team's first season in Phoenix, the team had to curtain off some seats in the areas where the view was particularly obstructed, cutting listed capacity from around 18,000 seats to 16,210.

The Coyotes added a second video board for an area where the view was particularly obstructed. They also put up numerous proposals to improve sight lines and boost the seating capacity back over the 17,000 mark. They also had to sell many obstructed-view tickets at a reduced price. Additionally, an unfavorable lease caused further financial troubles that impacted the team for much of the time they played at the arena. These were factors in driving them into bankruptcy in 2009. The Coyotes moved into Gila River Arena nearly midway through the 2003–04 NHL season.

Gravedigger
05-18-2023, 07:18 AM
Read on Twitter Harold Kuntz posted their director of social media's response to Patrick Mahomes' tweet about it, basically saying focus on keeping your brother out of jail and not on our hockey team.

I wanted to tweet something along the lines of "Look at that, two Kuntz in one twitter post." But I didn't want to get reported, but I would like to go on the record that their director of social media for the Coyotes sounds like a Kuntz.

Spott
05-18-2023, 07:22 AM
I don’t follow hockey, but I assumed that team just played in the same arena that the Suns do. Downtown seems like a better area for the team than playing in Tempe.

CaliforniaChief
05-18-2023, 07:24 AM
The deal is done!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">KC coyotes has a nice ring to it! <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NHL</a> what y’all think? <a href="https://twitter.com/tmobilecenter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tmobilecenter</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1658977658665938945?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 17, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KCUnited
05-18-2023, 07:24 AM
They already play at the Mullet Arena so a move to KC seems imminent

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 07:28 AM
Would KC support them? It's been a very long time since I lived in KC, but I don't recall much NHL interest. Has that changed now?

It's a fair question...I attended several Scouts games as a youngster, and I remember nothing but strong crowds. Two yrs is not enough time to assess interest in a new sport, imho, especially in 1974-75 when marketing was not nearly as savvy and there was no internet presence to give a constant outlet for fan involvement. It's cliche', but live hockey is the cat's ass and if you haven't attended a regular season NHL game, hop on a train to Stl or even better, Chicago, and check out a game, it's well worth it.

New World Order
05-18-2023, 07:32 AM
They play at Mullet Arena?

Sassy Squatch
05-18-2023, 07:37 AM
It'd be neat to catch a hockey game or two but that organization is fucking horrendous. Hope it comes with a complete overhaul if they do end up here.

KC_Connection
05-18-2023, 07:40 AM
There are a lot of things about how the NHL runs their business I don't understand, but them continuing to try to make that work in Phoenix is just bizarre to me. They should have been out of there years ago.

Prison Bitch
05-18-2023, 07:42 AM
KC is a top 5 over extended sports market
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2006/02/13/daily10.html

We are also looking at two new stadium deals in the next 5-10 years as it is. We can’t handle another pro franchise. We also have a lot of fan/Corp dollars going to Lawrence during hoops season

Also Phx has 5M people and another 1M about 100 miles away in Tucson. That’s well over double what KC region has. If they can’t support it we’d have twice the difficulty

DaFace
05-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Read on Twitter Harold Kuntz posted their director of social media's response to Patrick Mahomes' tweet about it, basically saying focus on keeping your brother out of jail and not on our hockey team.

I wanted to tweet something along the lines of "Look at that, two Kuntz in one twitter post." But I didn't want to get reported, but I would like to go on the record that their director of social media for the Coyotes sounds like a Kuntz.She's the director of social media for a small sports media company called PHNX, not the Coyotes. It's frustrating that no one seems to actually look at her bio.

Kellerfox
05-18-2023, 07:44 AM
Phoenix native here…

1) There are multiple adequate and recently renovated venues in the Phoenix Metro to play Hockey in. Hell, their old arena that they left in Glendale (that was built in collaboration with Coyotes) is only 20 years old (2003). What’s happening here is an entitled team with impossible standards that doesn’t care about the community. They are trying to get as large a handout as possible and unashamedly are using the lack of a free new arena as justification to move. That’s always been their endgame.

In fairness, the community is lukewarm on them too. Relocation is probably the best outcome for all at this point.

2) I’m not a huge hockey fan, but I’ve taken in multiple games in the Mullet. It’s fucking awesome. Everyone can joke about playing in a college arena… but because of the size, every seat is up close to the action. It’s like watching an NBA team play in a high school gym. It’s a much more intimate game experience. You can hear every little sound on the ice, and even in the “nosebleeds” you can still see count the nose hairs on whichever player (whose name you can’t pronounce) is your favorite.

Sassy Squatch
05-18-2023, 07:45 AM

We are also looking at two new stadium deals in the next 5-10 years as it is. We can’t handle another pro franchise. We also have a lot of fan/Corp dollars going to Lawrence during hoops season

Also Phx has 5M people and another 1M about 100 miles away in Tucson. That’s well over double what KC region has. If they can’t support it we’d have twice the difficulty
LMAO That article is from almost 20 years ago.

Kellerfox
05-18-2023, 07:46 AM

They do! Trashy/hilarious, eh?

The mullet family was the namesake donor for Arizona State University’s new ice hockey arena, where the Coyotes are currently playing after exiting their lease at their old 20-year old stadium.

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 07:49 AM
Phoenix native here…

1) There are multiple adequate and recently renovated venues in the Phoenix Metro to play Hockey in. Hell, their old arena that they left in Glendale (that was built in collaboration with Coyotes) is only 20 years old (2003). What’s happening here is an entitled team with impossible standards that doesn’t care about the community. They are trying to get as large a handout as possible and unashamedly are using the lack of a free new arena as justification to move. That’s always been their endgame.

In fairness, the community is lukewarm on them too. Relocation is probably the best outcome for all at this point.

2) I’m not a huge hockey fan, but I’ve taken in multiple games in the Mullet. It’s fucking awesome. Everyone can joke about playing in a college arena… but because of the size, every seat is up close to the action. It’s like watching an NBA team play in a high school gym. It’s a much more intimate game experience. You can hear every little sound on the ice, and even in the “nosebleeds” you can still see count the nose hairs on whichever player (whose name you can’t pronounce) is your favorite.

Weren't they behind on payments in Glendale or something like that? Thought something came out like that and why Glendale kicked them to the curb.

And they haven't just tanked in recent years, they've even dumped some of their younger talent as well... seems like they're the A's of hockey.

Prison Bitch
05-18-2023, 07:50 AM
LMAO That article is from almost 20 years ago.

None of the underlying economics (population and regional income) have changed. If anything we’ve prob lost ground to other metros anyway

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 07:51 AM

Won't ≠ Can’t

alpha_omega
05-18-2023, 07:52 AM
What about the hockey team we already have?
It's not NHL, but how many of you in town go to those games?

KCUnited
05-18-2023, 07:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VC6HVW2.jpg

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 07:57 AM

I went a couple times several years ago and it was seriously bad... and this coming from someone who had season tickets to college hockey for years and watches the world juniors and so forth.

Hockey was almost secondary to the number of fights, and there wasn't much in terms of good hockey. I remember the Mavs taking the opening face-off down for a 2 on 0 and the completely botching the cross ice pass and not even getting a shot out of it.... and it didn't get any better after that.

And it's strange since I'm sure many of them played in college and maybe even the AHL... but wasn't for me.

Discuss Thrower
05-18-2023, 08:00 AM
It makes too much sense for an NHL team to stay in Phoenix considering the amount of snowbirds.

siberian khatru
05-18-2023, 08:00 AM
2) I’m not a huge hockey fan, but I’ve taken in multiple games in the Mullet. It’s ****ing awesome. Everyone can joke about playing in a college arena… but because of the size, every seat is up close to the action. It’s like watching an NBA team play in a high school gym. It’s a much more intimate game experience. You can hear every little sound on the ice, and even in the “nosebleeds” you can still see count the nose hairs on whichever player (whose name you can’t pronounce) is your favorite.

Lightning fan here ...

On the trip to Arizona this season the Bolts' TV announcers were raving about that arena experience for the reasons you cited. They were telling TB fans that it was worth a trip out there just because it's so unique. I was thinking at the time, "That's not going to bolster the argument for a new arena!"

DaFace
05-18-2023, 08:03 AM
Lightning fan here ...

On the trip to Arizona this season the Bolts' TV announcers were raving about that arena experience for the reasons you cited. They were telling TB fans that it was worth a trip out there just because it's so unique. I was thinking at the time, "That's not going to bolster the argument for a new arena!"Sounds kinda like when the Chargers played in a soccer stadium for a couple of years. It was a lot of fun to visit as an opposing fan, but obviously not sustainable for the team.

FloridaMan88
05-18-2023, 08:07 AM

Also apparently UMKC is trying to build a new basketball arena?

Presumably that would be entirely funded with private donations to the university.

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 08:08 AM

I tend to agree with this...I wonder about NBA or NHL in T-mobile, is there an appetite for $100 tix 41 times a year? There REALLY needs to be a strong corp. presence for either, and KC isn't a huge corp. town.

Kellerfox
05-18-2023, 08:15 AM
Weren't they behind on payments in Glendale or something like that? Thought something came out like that and why Glendale kicked them to the curb.

And they haven't just tanked in recent years, they've even dumped some of their younger talent as well... seems like they're the A's of hockey.

Yeah, it was a very complicated relationship. It turned into a “she said, he said” type debate over every penny because both parties were struggling financially. Well, the city was, we obviously don’t know on the private team because they can hide behind closed books. The relationship disintegrated after the team refused to pay a couple million dollars in invoices from the city, leading to the lease being canceled. The team claimed it was because the city wouldn’t put more $ into the stadium to keep it modern.

Glendale is 30-45 minutes west of Downtown Phoenix during normal traffic. A good portion of Phoenix’s metro population (Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, etc.) is an equal distance east, making them 1+ hours from the venue. The poor proximity coupled with a general disinterest in hockey led to poor attendance.

I’d argue that the Coyotes are the #6 sports team in Phoenix. That’s a tough spot to be.

#1 Cardinals
#2 Suns
#3 Diamondbacks
#4 ASU Football
#5 ASU Basketball
#6 Coyotes

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 08:19 AM

I do, it's a great time. Very much like a T-bones experience...GREAT fan experience and fan interaction. Intimate and easy. I can't imagine what excuse people could muster not to try a game ($25 for lower bowl), but spend that just to park at the K :doh!:

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 08:22 AM
It makes too much sense for an NHL team to stay in Phoenix considering the amount of snowbirds.

Snowbirds aren't the demo the NHL is looking for!

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 08:36 AM
Yeah, it was a very complicated relationship. It turned into a “she said, he said” type debate over every penny because both parties were struggling financially. Well, the city was, we obviously don’t know on the private team because they can hide behind closed books. The relationship disintegrated after the team refused to pay a couple million dollars in invoices from the city, leading to the lease being canceled. The team claimed it was because the city wouldn’t put more $ into the stadium to keep it modern.

Glendale is 30-45 minutes west of Downtown Phoenix during normal traffic. A good portion of Phoenix’s metro population (Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, etc.) is an equal distance east, making them 1+ hours from the venue. The poor proximity coupled with a general disinterest in hockey led to poor attendance.

I’d argue that the Coyotes are the #6 sports team in Phoenix. That’s a tough spot to be.

#1 Cardinals
#2 Suns
#3 Diamondbacks
#4 ASU Football
#5 ASU Basketball
#6 Coyotes

Apparently they're doing okay, too.
https://ktar.com/story/5425882/desert-diamond-arena-former-home-of-arizona-coyotes-had-record-revenue-year-in-2022/amp/

I love the Westgate area, but yeah if I lived east of I-17, doubtful I'd go to many weeknight games. Great for our of towners or if you live in Glendale, but that's about it.

I get how shitty teams can still strong arm cities.. even bad hockey teams can bring in ~5-10k people per night and most probably wouldn't be in the area otherwise. I'm glad there's push back though... and it's that much more embarrassing when Vegas lands an expansion team and has pretty much no top tier talent most years, and competes in the playoffs every year. You have to try to be as bad as the Yotes year after year.

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 08:44 AM

#1 Cardinals
#2 Suns
#3 Diamondbacks
#4 ASU Football
#5 ASU Basketball
#6 Coyotes

It's difficult to sell that product to people that have never seen snow. Hockey is very much a culture that starts at a young age, even though they are succeeding in some large markets like Fla, Carolina, Dallas. Same would be true in KC

DaFace
05-18-2023, 08:54 AM
It's difficult to sell that product to people that have never seen snow. Hockey is very much a culture that starts at a young age, even though they are succeeding in some large markets like Fla, Carolina, Dallas. Same would be true in KC

Yeah, you kind of need a taste of success to hook fans, which is part of why the NHL's expansion draft process has been a hit for the Knights and Kracken even though it's annoying for the rest of the league.

That's probably the counterargument for wanting KC to take the Coyotes. It'd be harder to hook new fans with a shitty team, but a new expansion franchise in the future might have a better chance of success.

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 09:00 AM
Agree about the expansion draft vs a bad existing. I would love to get the Sabres here, as Buffalo is a dying city with a historically bad franchise and low attendance , but is loaded with young offensive talent and is just waiting for a competent FO to acquire some D talent.

KCUnited
05-18-2023, 09:01 AM

#1 Cardinals
#2 Suns
#3 Diamondbacks
#4 ASU Football
#5 ASU Basketball
#6 Coyotes

Good point on the location. I think the NFL is the only sports product that can connect a metro sprawl with a stadium location at one extreme end and I even know Cards fans that won't make the drive from the east valley.

Footprint and Chase are much more doable so I feel the Tempe location would've been ideal but I understand why it didn't get passed.

sedated
05-18-2023, 09:08 AM
Sprint Center doesn't want a pro team and never has. They make too much money with concerts/events, and don't deal with the BS that comes with having a tenant make demands.

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 09:43 AM
Sprint Center doesn't want a pro team and never has. They make too much money with concerts/events, and don't deal with the BS that comes with having a tenant make demands.

I have heard this and thought it hard to believe, but it sure seems the case. Damn you Billy Joel, Garth, and fake Journey

Gary Cooper
05-18-2023, 09:43 AM
Yes, it's basically a 4,000 seat arena. Smaller than where the KC Mavericks play. Really something for a pro team in the NHL.

Gary Cooper
05-18-2023, 09:44 AM

#1 Cardinals
#2 Suns
#3 Diamondbacks
#4 ASU Football
#5 ASU Basketball
#6 Coyotes
Do people in Arizona care much about their pro teams. I never got that impression. Doesn't help that none of these teams enjoy success.

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 09:55 AM
Do people in Arizona care much about their pro teams. I never got that impression. Doesn't help that none of these teams enjoy success.

I think it's just a different animal in warmer climates, plus transplants, and teams that haven't been around forever.

You don't have the season ticket base built over generations and you can find shit to do outside every day of the year. People don't just go to games because they grew up being taken to games or watching games as a kid.... so it gets treated far closer to any other product instead of the weirdness that comes with sports fandom and supporting shitty teams.

The Suns were suddenly good and I was hearing quite a bit about them, the arena was packed.... be good, people will buy your product. If not, there's plenty of other stuff to spend money on around town.

Titty Meat
05-18-2023, 09:59 AM
The deal is done!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">KC coyotes has a nice ring to it! <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NHL</a> what y’all think? <a href="https://twitter.com/tmobilecenter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tmobilecenter</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1658977658665938945?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 17, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lop

ChiTown
05-18-2023, 10:01 AM

This is 100% correct. They don't want to be locked down on 40+ dates per year with an anchor tenant.

Mecca
05-18-2023, 10:07 AM
Here are the issues.

1. KC is on a top 5 list for the Coyotes, problem is Houston, Atlanta and Quebec City are also on that list.

2. People will say KC won't support it, not sure I agree with that because this team supports anything that wins. The issue though is the Royals would throw a fucking fit because the money that goes to hockey would be their loss because of how bad they are.

3. AEG, this is the biggest hurdle. AEG doesn't really want a team there and the issue you are going to have with NHL or NBA is they want the owner to obviously have an ownership stake in the team...AEG already has that, they own the LA Kings.

St. Patty's Fire
05-18-2023, 10:21 AM
arizona is definitely moving. hear salt lake city is where they wanna go. they’ll probably be out of AZ by 24-25. i think the nhl wants to expand to 34 teams as well, so three chances for KC to get a team. i think theres a decent chance of it happening

Titty Meat
05-18-2023, 10:23 AM
Here are the issues.

1. KC is on a top 5 list for the Coyotes, problem is Houston, Atlanta and Quebec City are also on that list.

2. People will say KC won't support it, not sure I agree with that because this team supports anything that wins. The issue though is the Royals would throw a ****ing fit because the money that goes to hockey would be their loss because of how bad they are.

3. AEG, this is the biggest hurdle. AEG doesn't really want a team there and the issue you are going to have with NHL or NBA is they want the owner to obviously have an ownership stake in the team...AEG already has that, they own the LA Kings.

Yeah there's no ownership group in KC anyway

Titty Meat
05-18-2023, 10:23 AM
Only thing I want from AZ is Lewdog

FloridaMan88
05-18-2023, 10:26 AM
Here are the issues.

2. People will say KC won't support it, not sure I agree with that because this team supports anything that wins. The issue though is the Royals would throw a ****ing fit because the money that goes to hockey would be their loss because of how bad they are.

Corporate support/local Fortune 500 companies are key for NHL and NBA teams to buy luxury suites, bulk ticket sales, etc.

Houston and Atlanta are terrible sports cities in terms of fan engagement/support and of course Atlanta has recently lost an NHL team due to poor fan support, but those cities are #2 and #3 behind NYC with having the most headquartered Fortune 500 companies.

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 10:27 AM
Here are the issues.

Atlanta has already lost the Flames and the Thrashers, and have no hockey culture...but are still probably in front of KC :banghead:

Mecca
05-18-2023, 10:36 AM
Atlanta has already lost the Flames and the Thrashers, and have no hockey culture...but are still probably in front of KC :banghead:

Most likely just due to city size and corporate structure...Houston though seems to be the city they want the NHL in.

Rams Fan
05-18-2023, 10:45 AM

I'm not familiar with why the Flames left, but the Thrashers left because their ownership group bought them in conjunction with the Hawks and the arena in Atlanta.

Right after they bought the Thrashers, they wanted to sell them for years.

They moved to Winnipeg because the Thrashers owners owned the arena and there was no other suitable place for them to play in the area. Additionally, the owners didn't want them to become a tenant as they valued the dates made available from there not being 41 home games for concerts, etc.

Ownership failed Atlanta the second time, not the support or fanbase.

Mecca
05-18-2023, 10:46 AM
It's kind of mind numbing how these arena owners don't want tenants because hey we can just book shitty concerts all year.

New World Order
05-18-2023, 10:54 AM
They do! Trashy/hilarious, eh?

The mullet family was the namesake donor for Arizona State University’s new ice hockey arena, where the Coyotes are currently playing after exiting their lease at their old 20-year old stadium.

It would only be a natural transition for them if they currently play in Mullet Arena

Boxer_Chief
05-18-2023, 11:07 AM
Hypothetical question I’d like to pose, would you trade the royals for an nhl team? Allocate the money they want and build a state of the art arena for an nhl team instead of the new stadium?

Prison Bitch
05-18-2023, 11:14 AM
It's kind of mind numbing how these arena owners don't want tenants because hey we can just book shitty concerts all year.

But they keep all the revenue. Most arenas have a 50/50 revenue split with pro teams. Why share?

Mecca
05-18-2023, 11:15 AM
But they keep all the revenue. Most arenas have a 50/50 revenue split with pro teams. Why share?

It's honestly amazing how they duped people into voting for that arena by telling them we'd get a team for it when that was never the plan...rich people lie shocking eh?

irafreak
05-18-2023, 11:31 AM
Phoenix native here…

2) I’m not a huge hockey fan, but I’ve taken in multiple games in the Mullet. It’s ****ing awesome. Everyone can joke about playing in a college arena… but because of the size, every seat is up close to the action. It’s like watching an NBA team play in a high school gym. It’s a much more intimate game experience. You can hear every little sound on the ice, and even in the “nosebleeds” you can still see count the nose hairs on whichever player (whose name you can’t pronounce) is your favorite.

Never take it in the mullet

tredadda
05-18-2023, 11:51 AM
Here are the issues.

2. People will say KC won't support it, not sure I agree with that because this team supports anything that wins. The issue though is the Royals would throw a fucking fit because the money that goes to hockey would be their loss because of how bad they are.

1. Atlanta couldn't keep the Thrashers. Not sure if there was more to the story regarding that. Why give that city another team?

2. Didn't KC have the Scouts once and lost it? Was there a reason for that as well?

Mecca
05-18-2023, 11:57 AM
1. Atlanta couldn't keep the Thrashers. Not sure if there was more to the story regarding that. Why give that city another team?

2. Didn't KC have the Scouts once and lost it? Was there a reason for that as well?

When the Scouts left I was like 4 years old, I doubt many people remember that.

Kiimo
05-18-2023, 12:00 PM
I like the Chiefs personally.

I got you

https://www.brostrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Slap-Shot-Hanson-Brothers.jpg

ChiefsCountry
05-18-2023, 12:12 PM
Hypothetical question I’d like to pose, would you trade the royals for an nhl team? Allocate the money they want and build a state of the art arena for an nhl team instead of the new stadium?

Fuck no. MLB is the clear number two sports league behind the NFL.

Mecca
05-18-2023, 12:12 PM

I'd meet this question with a question...are the Royals going to be a garbage franchise for the next 30 years?

Why Not?
05-18-2023, 12:21 PM
The Coyotes old ownership group and the city of Glendale really screwed the pooch (pun intended) years ago. Had the Coyotes moved into the old Los Arcos mall area in South Scottsdale, I bet this would never have been an issue. As it sits, the team sucks and nobody (at least not most people) give a shit enough about them to care. They will move, I wish to KC but I doubt it, and I will have to become a Blues fan I guess. Lame. Although I still have a Thrashers jersey from when I lived in Atlanta in the late 90's early 2000's so maybe they will move there?

Sassy Squatch
05-18-2023, 12:23 PM
With this current ownership that won't shut their fucking mouths about the new stadium while the team is one of the worst in baseball? Absolutely, get the fuck on.

Woogieman
05-18-2023, 12:37 PM

Ths Scouts lasted 2 seasons here, which is not enough time to build a following. The NHL didn't have a very strong brand at the time, weren't on TV, there was no Sportscenter etc. Hockey at that time was basically the Borad Street Bullies, Bobby Orr's Bruins, and the Montreal Candiens. The product now has a much broader (brodeur?) appeal, but will never have the individual star power of the NBA.

sedated
05-18-2023, 12:43 PM
It's honestly amazing how they duped people into voting for that arena by telling them we'd get a team for it when that was never the plan...rich people lie shocking eh?

Its not like Sprint Center has been a bad thing, it kept the Big 12 tournament in KC and draws big events - many artists who come to town now weren't coming because Kemper was a shithole.

Kellerfox
05-18-2023, 12:45 PM
The Coyotes old ownership group and the city of Glendale really screwed the pooch (pun intended) years ago. Had the Coyotes moved into the old Los Arcos mall area in South Scottsdale, I bet this would never have been an issue. As it sits, the team sucks and nobody (at least not most people) give a shit enough about them to care. They will move, I wish to KC but I doubt it, and I will have to become a Blues fan I guess. Lame. Although I still have a Thrashers jersey from when I lived in Atlanta in the late 90's early 2000's so maybe they will move there?

Is that basically where SkySong is today? I don't think that would have been a good Arena site. IMO it's to far removed from the highway with too much regular day to day arterial traffic. But I agree with your thoughts on general geography.

Honestly, I think the correct answer for the Cardinals or Coyotes would have been the once proposed site just north of the 202 along Priest. Basically where this recent failed Coyote Arena was, but in the Phoenix side. The north location would connect to the light rail station and bus rapid station at Priest and Washington. It would have easy highway access to the 202, 101, and 143. It's also centrally located.

Similarly, the old Phoenix Rising site north of the Tempe Marketplace feels like it could be successful to me.

srvy
05-18-2023, 12:57 PM
When the Scouts left I was like 4 years old, I doubt many people remember that.

in a nutshell this is why.

https://theathletic.com/2326351/2021/01/21/new-jersey-devils-kansas-city-scouts-nhl-expansion/?access_token=2892111&redirected=1

Megatron96
05-18-2023, 01:02 PM
take them. Please.

chiefs1111
05-18-2023, 01:02 PM
If they were to move it would likely be to Quebec. The NHL has been wanting a team back there for quite sometime now.

Old Dog
05-18-2023, 01:14 PM

https://theathletic.com/2326351/2021/01/21/new-jersey-devils-kansas-city-scouts-nhl-expansion/?access_token=2892111&redirected=1

Thank you....rep

Pitt Gorilla
05-18-2023, 01:15 PM
I'd love an NHL team in KC, but not that one.

Of course, an NBA team would've been even better, but that ship appears to have sailed.

Maybe change the Sprint Center to Zubaz arena?!?

srvy
05-18-2023, 01:19 PM
I was a Junior in HS when the Scouts came to KC. I went to a lot of games with my friends and had a great time. But at first, attendance was good but people soured on a losing team and decided it wasn't worth the hassle of going down into the stockyard area to Kemper and stayed away. Ownership made no bones about wanting out and off to greener pastures. They forced the issue by signing old-washed players and sprinkling in minor players. We had the #1 pick and took Wlif Wilf Paiement didn't put a team around him and he didn't really develop here till the team moved on to become the Colorado Rockies and now New Jersey Devils.

Mecca
05-18-2023, 01:20 PM
I'd love an NHL team in KC, but not that one.

Of course, an NBA team would've been even better, but that ship appears to have sailed.

Maybe change the Sprint Center to Zubaz arena?!?

Generally speaking if a team moves it's gonna be a shitty team.

-King-
05-18-2023, 01:20 PM

I'd trade them for an NBA team in a second. Not for NHL though. Even though I think an NHL game would be a much more exciting game to go to over baseball.

tredadda
05-18-2023, 01:24 PM
Ths Scouts lasted 2 seasons here, which is not enough time to build a following. The NHL didn't have a very strong brand at the time, weren't on TV, there was no Sportscenter etc. Hockey at that time was basically the Borad Street Bullies, Bobby Orr's Bruins, and the Montreal Candiens. The product now has a much broader (brodeur?) appeal, but will never have the individual star power of the NBA.

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense.

Why Not?
05-18-2023, 01:36 PM
Is that basically where SkySong is today? I don't think that would have been a good Arena site. IMO it's to far removed from the highway with too much regular day to day arterial traffic. But I agree with your thoughts on general geography.

Honestly, I think the correct answer for the Cardinals or Coyotes would have been the once proposed site just north of the 202 along Priest. Basically where this recent failed Coyote Arena was, but in the Phoenix side. The north location would connect to the light rail station and bus rapid station at Priest and Washington. It would have easy highway access to the 202, 101, and 143. It's also centrally located.

Similarly, the old Phoenix Rising site north of the Tempe Marketplace feels like it could be successful to me.

I honestly don't know what is located there today. It had been years prior to us moving in 2020 since I had been in that area. The spot I am thinking of was basically Rural/Scottsdale Rd and McDowell. So not to far from the 202. But I think both of your areas would've worked as well. Basically they did the one thing they couldn't do. Take a niche, wealthy person's sport and move it basically as far away from the majority of the money in the metro (East Valley/Scottsdale) area as possible. Bankrupted the team and damn near the city of Glendale. Just a Titanic like business decision.

Why Not?
05-18-2023, 01:46 PM
AZ Republic is reporting that the Coyotes have reached out to the city of Mesa about the old Fiesta Mall site. This would also be an excellent site for the Coyotes. Too early to tell if it will even get to a vote but initial indication is that they do want to stay in Arizona.

Boxer_Chief
05-18-2023, 02:03 PM
I'd trade them for an NBA team in a second. Not for NHL though. Even though I think an NHL game would be a much more exciting game to go to over baseball.

Yeah it’s a tough choice. I may be wrong but seems like more parity in the nhl. It’s just frustrating to be playing behind the 8 ball year after year with the royals (sans 2 years out of 30)

Mecca
05-18-2023, 02:05 PM
Yeah it’s a tough choice. I may be wrong but seems like more parity in the nhl. It’s just frustrating to be playing behind the 8 ball year after year with the royals (sans 2 years out of 30)

Eh depends what you mean by parity, I'm a Red Wings fan and we haven't mattered in like a decade.

ChiefsCountry
05-18-2023, 02:17 PM

Since 2015 - 7 different World Series champions, 6 different Stanley Cup Champions and 6 different Super Bowl champions.

jerryaldini
05-18-2023, 02:46 PM

Great quote from that article: "But of course, we get him, and he could only see out of one eye. So he had to play on one wing.”

Imagine only winning 12 out of 80 games and just one of your last 44. Cool unis though. Hated seeing them go, but losing the Kings was much worse.

Gary Cooper
05-18-2023, 04:25 PM
Yes. They've made two playoff appearances in 40 years. No other team in North American sports can boast of such ineptitude. Them wanting a new stadium downtown instead of paying money for better players is infuriating.

I'm not a baseball fan, though. Maybe someone actually enjoys the Royals..........God only knows why.

srvy
05-18-2023, 05:52 PM
Really as teens going to Kemper Arena to watch the Scouts was mainly to hone our driving skills as freshly licensed drivers. Also, watch other teams' great players we had seen only on TV. Then home up through the 12th Street viaduct and through the seedy red light district that started 10th through 12th street between Broadway to about Wyandotte. All the streetwalkers and their pimps along with the rundown titty bars and private clubs. Was an experience for HS kids.

TLO
05-18-2023, 06:01 PM
I know nothing about hockey but I'd be willing to watch and learn if KC had a professional team.

Kiimo
05-18-2023, 06:08 PM
My friends are absolutely nuts about hockey and the playoffs are super intense.

I wish I played, I'm built for it. I would also understand it a lot better if I did. Alas it costs a lot of money since it has to be indoors in KC

Megatron96
05-18-2023, 06:08 PM
I know nothing about hockey but I'd be willing to watch and learn if KC had a professional team.

It's a great game. Usually the best playoffs to watch among the major sports in the US. And probably the most watchable game in-person, as soon as you learn to follow the puck.

though, you may not see that watching the Coyotes, ever.

Brody Wa
05-18-2023, 06:27 PM
Hockey is really boring on tv and too expensive in my opinion in person. 100-200$ a ticket is too much money for a game I’m not interested in.

BWillie
05-18-2023, 06:43 PM
I would never watch unless playoffs. Nba would be way better

KCUnited
05-18-2023, 07:02 PM
Problem with the NBA is that the season is so long, stars will sit out for something as simple as a disappointing bowel movement.

I’ve lived in 2 NBA cities and you never know who’s playing until before the game. So it’s great for spur of the moment ticket buyers but more challenging for circling a game on the calendar and dropping coin on it.

Bearcat
05-18-2023, 07:12 PM
Problem with the NBA is that the season is so long, stars will sit out for something as simple as a disappointing bowel movement.

I’ve lived in 2 NBA cities and you never know who’s playing until before the game. So it’s great for spur of the moment ticket buyers but more challenging for circling a game on the calendar and dropping coin on it.

https://i.imgur.com/SXAhgd7.png

Megatron96
05-18-2023, 07:23 PM

Yeah, NBA players are kind of soft these days. The slightest boo-boo and they're out for a week.

NHL players take a slash to the head, get 70 stitches under their eye and they're back on the ice in ten minutes.

Basically, you have to hope and pray and sometimes beg for an NBA star to play after an injury, meanwhile NHL stars have to be physically restrained from playing after being torn open by a 100-mph puck to the face.

KCUnited
05-18-2023, 07:27 PM

Pretty much. I love the NBA but it’s just a different mindset.

I tried to see Memphis vs PHX this season, bought day of tix, and Booker was a scratch for like a hurtful tweet or something.

It’s all playoffs but even then a star will sit and mostly concede a game on the road.

I’m sure that would go over great in Big 12 lunch pail, the right way everyday country.

BWillie
05-18-2023, 07:35 PM

Why would you try to harm your body by continuing to skate with a broken tibia? I don't understand. Why would that be a sense of pride?

Fish
05-18-2023, 10:06 PM
EDIT: Oops wrong thread...

Monticore
05-18-2023, 10:19 PM
Why would you try to harm your body by continuing to skate with a broken tibia? I don't understand. Why would that be a sense of pride?

The pain threshold of hockey players Is just different and probably didn’t think it was broken being hurt vs injured is a big difference, most guys play hurt all the time and even minor injuries or they would never be on the ice

Fish
05-18-2023, 10:26 PM
The pain threshold of hockey players Is just different and probably didn’t think it was broken being hurt vs injured is a big difference, most guys play hurt all the time and even minor injuries or they would never be on the ice

Yup. It's likely he never thought it was actually a fracture. Hockey players are just so used to playing through pain...

Megatron96
05-18-2023, 10:30 PM
It's because they're fucking men.

Fish
05-18-2023, 10:32 PM
Fans falling asleep in the stands.... LMAO....

|Zach|
05-18-2023, 11:16 PM
Would be fun and interesting to see how much the city would embrace the team. I would probably go to 2 or 3 games a year though the arena is so close maybe more. Don't love the name Coyotes and would prefer a rebrand.

TMobile center would probably need some improvements to have an anchor tenant like that.

I always think KC is just being used for leverage and will believe that until we actually get a damn team.

Would make for sports dollars being spread out amongst a whole lot of teams in the area.

BWillie
05-18-2023, 11:32 PM
Would be fun and interesting to see how much the city would embrace the team. I would probably go to 2 or 3 games a year though the arena is so close maybe more. Don't love the name Coyotes and would prefer a rebrand.

TMobile center would probably need some improvements to have an anchor tenant like that.

I always think KC is just being used for leverage and will believe that until we actually get a damn team.

Would make for sports dollars being spread out amongst a whole lot of teams in the area.

How about the Kansas City Opossums? That would really highlight the culture and wonderful wildlife we have around this area.

|Zach|
05-18-2023, 11:37 PM
How about the Kansas City Opossums? That would really highlight the culture and wonderful wildlife we have around this area.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3oEduPlMkw4LZE7624" width="480" height="300" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

jerryaldini
05-19-2023, 12:05 AM
Then home up through the 12th Street viaduct and through the seedy red light district that started 10th through 12th street between Broadway to about Wyandotte. All the streetwalkers and their pimps along with the rundown titty bars and private clubs. Was an experience for HS kids.

I remember that during my HS years. They used to circle those blocks in cars. Pull up next to you and proposition. There was also a street walker area off Troost iirc, a little farther south. Or maybe it was Main. They were pretty aggressive. I remember the cops posing as hookers over there. They were easy to spot. It's tough to pull that off authentically.

|Zach|
05-19-2023, 02:18 AM
I remember that during my HS years. They used to circle those blocks in cars. Pull up next to you and proposition. There was also a street walker area off Troost iirc, a little farther south. Or maybe it was Main. They were pretty aggressive. I remember the cops posing as hookers over there. They were easy to spot. It's tough to pull that off authentically.

Street crimes units are always funny. Obv a police department is a pretty cut and clean place and then you have these cops coming in looking like they came right off of Sons of Anarchy. But you are right they do a pretty great job of blending in to be able to do undercover drug stuff however the prostitution? That is a little bit different and harder to make look authentic. LMAO

Bearcat
05-19-2023, 05:13 AM
I don't understand.

We know.

Otter
05-19-2023, 05:37 AM

I'd go with the KC Racoons. A little better but the drool gets the point across:

Spott
05-19-2023, 06:53 AM

If they look good, it either means they’re either a cop or a dude.

Monticore
05-19-2023, 11:40 PM
Yup. It's likely he never thought it was actually a fracture. Hockey players are just so used to playing through pain...

Moe Mantha said he played a few games with a broken leg before they noticed , but when he came back to practice first thing he told his teammates to do was take a run at him in practice so he can get over the mental aspect of the injury , he has some pretty good stories of the playboy mansion and few of the guys in the league , playing against him in oldtimers you notice how these NYLers are just built different and they have dad strength x 100