PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Kelce fine with being underpaid?

TomBarndtsTwin
06-28-2023, 11:27 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10080936-travis-kelce-my-agents-tell-me-how-underpaid-i-am-but-i-love-playing-for-chiefs

Yes, I know, I get it, it’s a BR article. Still some things said by Kelce in the article make me wonder if he really is fine being underpaid?

Particularly this quote:

"You see how much more money you could be making and, yeah, it hits you in the gut a little bit. It makes you think you're being taken advantage of," Kelce said. "I don't know if I really pressed the gas if I would get what I'm quote-unquote worth. ... But I know I enjoy coming to that building every single day."

Do the Chiefs need to add some money to his contract to keep him happy?

What say you??

tyecopeland
06-28-2023, 11:30 AM
Give the man an extension.

New World Order
06-28-2023, 11:31 AM
Keep him til he’s 50

ModSocks
06-28-2023, 11:35 AM
He's a top 3 paid TE, and the only reason he isn't #1 is because Kittle and Waller have newer contracts.

And Waller, the #1 paid TE is making a whopping $3M more this year.

TE is just a very underpaid position.

JohnnyHammersticks
06-28-2023, 11:37 AM
Hard to argue with him. He obviously should at least be the highest paid TE.

Skyy God
06-28-2023, 12:04 PM
I mean, this is the problem you risk when potentially paying the 3rd most valuable Chief (Jones) double Trav’s AAV.

T-post Tom
06-28-2023, 12:07 PM
Trav needs to block Mike Florio on email and all social media. ;)

RunKC
06-28-2023, 12:08 PM
He's a top 3 paid TE, and the only reason he isn't #1 is because Kittle and Waller have newer contracts.

And Waller, the #1 paid TE is making a whopping $3M more this year.

TE is just a very underpaid position.

It's crazy bc he has been as productive as any WR the last 5 years. He's as good as Tyreek and Adams

Bearcat
06-28-2023, 12:15 PM
Do the Chiefs need to add some money to his contract to keep him happy?

What say you??

Obviously not.

Source: Travis Kelce

"I'm like, the free market looks like fun until you go somewhere and you don't win. I love winning. I love the situation I'm in."

tredadda
06-28-2023, 12:16 PM
I imagine he makes quite a bit outside of football and if not he will when he retires for good.

ChiefsCountry
06-28-2023, 12:21 PM
Being Mahomes bottom bitch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Better than being the highest paid TE

srvy
06-28-2023, 12:45 PM
Travis could probably reset the TE market if he wanted to.

tredadda
06-28-2023, 12:50 PM
Travis could probably reset the TE market if he wanted to.

Not at his current age.

BWillie
06-28-2023, 12:55 PM
Give the man an extension.

Sir he's a 34 year old TE. I wouldn't pay him another penny. In 2026 you let him walk. Paying him more money for no reason is monumentally stupid and Dayton Mooresque.

chiefzilla1501
06-28-2023, 01:08 PM
I love kelces podcast but it makes it easy to take his comments out of context. Like the comment about chase where he laughed about the back and forth and said he loved it, then wrapped up with a sarcastic comment everyone interpreted as butthurt.

Just to clarify… with this comment he wasn’t angry. He was just being honest. He’s a absolutely right that he’s criminally underpaid and we’re lucky he’s been cool with it. I think ultimately, like Pat, he’s a team guy who isn’t going to throw a childish tantrum over this and probably feels like it helps keep his friends in kc. He absolutely knows he has it good playing with Pat and for Andy. But yeah, if he asks for more, the chiefs should oblige.

Pitt Gorilla
06-28-2023, 01:34 PM
He's got the #1 podcast and that will likely continue to make millions per year.

irafreak
06-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Underpaid, maybe. Poorly compensated? No way. He plays for a great organization with a great group of coaches. Great teammates. Loved by everyone in kc. To some people, loving your job is way more important than getting every last dollar.

Rain Man
06-28-2023, 01:39 PM
Trav needs to block Mike Florio on email and all social media. ;)

Well, sure. But everyone should be doing that anyway.

Rain Man
06-28-2023, 01:40 PM
Kelce is an all-time great, and he gets it. He's got enough money to last ten lifetimes or more, and he's an icon in Kansas City. He'll be rich for the rest of his life, and as he gets older it'll become increasingly valuable to him that he's beloved by everyone who wears red on game day.

ThaVirus
06-28-2023, 01:41 PM
It's crazy bc he has been as productive as any WR the last 5 years. He's as good as Tyreek and Adams

Without listening to wherever this quote was ripped from, it’s possible that’s what he’s referring to anyway.

Could easily be a “WRs make twice as much as I do despite me outproducing them” as opposed to a “the Chiefs aren’t paying me enough” situation.

BryanBusby
06-28-2023, 01:44 PM
I don't know if he's making a case that he's underpid so much as he's making a case that the position itself is underpaid and when you think about it, yes, yes it is.

DaFace
06-28-2023, 01:54 PM
I'll always be in the players' favor when it comes to the CBA, but within that I have no issue with players who decide they don't have to go for the bag once they've already gotten a bag that would literally change the lives of any mere mortal. Like Mahomes, Kelce knows that, in a salary cap world, every extra dollar he gets is a dollar that his teammates don't.

tyecopeland
06-28-2023, 01:55 PM
Sir he's a 34 year old TE. I wouldn't pay him another penny. In 2026 you let him walk. Paying him more money for no reason is monumentally stupid and Dayton Mooresque.

Giving him an extension doesn't necessarily mean you pay him any more. He's got no guaranteed money left on his deal with three years on it still. Give him a 2 or 3 year extension where the next two years and signing bonus are guaranteed that is equal to the amount he is scheduled to make the next 3 years anyway. Put some funny math at the end (like tyreeks deal) and voila, he's reset the te market. And the Chiefs still get out of it at the same time as his current contract is set to end.

Dunerdr
06-28-2023, 02:01 PM
If he wants it really and truly, pay him.

Bob Dole
06-28-2023, 02:09 PM
These conversations always kill me. Anyone reading this would be fine making 50% of what these guys are paid.

Jewish Rabbi
06-28-2023, 02:15 PM
I mean, this is the problem you risk when potentially paying the 3rd most valuable Chief (Jones) double Trav’s AAV.

Give Kelce a free trip to Belize

Simply Red
06-28-2023, 02:20 PM
Somebody start a Madonna thread what's going on with her? I'm driving

Quesadilla Joe
06-28-2023, 02:31 PM
Chris Harris Jr and Derek Wolfe never got over the under market deal they signed. The losing played a major role in their bitterness, but seeing players they knew they were better than sign bigger deals pissed them off.

I wonder how Mahomes will feel after Reid inevitably retires and the winning stops happening.

kevrunner
06-28-2023, 02:31 PM
I don't know if he's making a case that he's underpid so much as he's making a case that the position itself is underpaid and when you think about it, yes, yes it is.

I don’t think the TE position is underpaid. Very few TEs are the #1 passing options on their team. Kelce is extremely being underpaid for what he does, but I can’t think of another TE who is. TJ Hockenson will be leapfrogging Kelce when he gets his new contract, not that he deserves it. Here is the top paid TEs for 2023. I can’t see anyone other than Kelce who is being underpaid. To me, other than Kelce, the rest of these guys are being paid handsomely for what they have done in previous seasons.

NFL's highest paid tight ends in 2023 (average salary per year):

1. Giants TE Darren Waller: $17 million
2. 49ers TE George Kittle: $15 million
3. Chiefs TE Travis Kelce: $14.3 million
4. Eagles TE Dallas Goedert: $14.25 million
5. Ravens TE Mark Andrews: $14 million
6. Browns TE David Njoku: $13.68 million
7. Bills TE Dawson Knox: $13 million
8. Patriots TE Hunter Henry: $12.5 million
9. Jaguars TE Evan Engram: $11.3 million
10. Cardinals TE Zach Ertz: $10.6 million

srvy
06-28-2023, 02:35 PM
Not at his current age.I doubt the Chief but if he wanted to shop around there are teams that could.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

ThaVirus
06-28-2023, 02:51 PM
These conversations always kill me. Anyone reading this would be fine making 50% of what these guys are paid.

Yeah, but that’s only because we don’t have the skillset that allows us to ask for these types of numbers.

If you were Kelce, no way in hell you’d sign a contract for $100,000k per year. (Obviously that’s not even possible given vet minimum but you get the point)

Rain Man
06-28-2023, 03:38 PM

I suspect that 80 percent of the people here make less than 1 percent of his salary. We should jump at being offered 2 percent.

BryanBusby
06-28-2023, 04:12 PM
I don’t think the TE position is underpaid. Very few TEs are the #1 passing options on their team. Kelce is extremely being underpaid for what he does, but I can’t think of another TE who is. TJ Hockenson will be leapfrogging Kelce when he gets his new contract, not that he deserves it. Here is the top paid TEs for 2023. I can’t see anyone other than Kelce who is being underpaid. To me, other than Kelce, the rest of these guys are being paid handsomely for what they have done in previous seasons.

When someone like Kelce can put up elite WR kind of numbers but they only get about 65% or what an elite WR averages, I think it's a point.

Boxer_Chief
06-28-2023, 04:25 PM
That’s why Brock bowers next year would be amazing. Get wr production at pennies on the dollar.

tyecopeland
06-28-2023, 04:52 PM

Kelce has made over 10 million in a season 3 times and never more than 12.. The upcoming 3 year average is over 14 mil a year but none of it is guaranteed. So this list you made is totally worthless.

tyecopeland
06-28-2023, 04:55 PM

The comments on what a regular person would be fine getting paid in discussions about pro athletes salaries always kill me.

Like anybody shouldn't push to get paid what they are worth just because it's a lot more than most people that don't have their skills make.

Bearcat
06-28-2023, 04:58 PM
The comments on what a regular person would be fine getting paid in discussions about pro athletes salaries always kill me.

Like anybody shouldn't push to get paid what they are worth just because it's a lot more than most people that don't have their skills make.

Yeah, if I started making that kind of money tomorrow... fuck no, I'm not complaining.

If I spent years playing football, traveling for games, and so on and so forth... and got a nice ego about me along the way, and knew how much money the NFL makes and the owners make because I'm good at football... and the guy next to me is making more...

Yeah, totally different conversation that we have very little perspective on from the couch.

Bump
06-28-2023, 05:03 PM
should the best players never sign more than a 2 year deal? because eventually someone else at his position will get a higher contract because it goes up every year.

smithandrew051
06-28-2023, 05:48 PM
I’m fine with extending him because he makes me extend

T-post Tom
06-28-2023, 06:14 PM

None of this will matter when Trav marries Gracie Hunt after he retires.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
06-28-2023, 06:32 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Travis Kelce says he’s fine with being “underpaid” because he’d rather stay in KC and keep winning!<br><br>This is why is a top 5 fan-favorite in Chiefs history. His play on the field is great, but the guy also cares about the team also. <a href="https://t.co/oGumY1KakF">pic.twitter.com/oGumY1KakF</a></p>&mdash; Farzin Vousoughian (@Farzin21) <a href="https://twitter.com/Farzin21/status/1674093162451566601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 28, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Megatron96
06-28-2023, 07:41 PM
Considering that Travis' production is up there with the top 10 WRs most years, and that he's effectively the WR1 for the Chiefs, he's underpaid. He should be getting over $20 million/year, minimum.

But he's a TE, and TEs just don't get paid on the same scale as WRs, so it is what it is.

kevrunner
06-28-2023, 07:49 PM
When someone like Kelce can put up elite WR kind of numbers but they only get about 65% or what an elite WR averages, I think it's a point.

I agree Kelce is way underpaid, he’s a freak of nature, but the majority of TEs aren’t in the same conversation and they don’t deserve to be getting anywhere near what Kelce deserves. I 100% agree Kelce should be paid more like a WR #1. He has elected to take less $$$. I just don’t see the argument the TEs overall are not being compensated fairly.

Titty Meat
06-28-2023, 08:07 PM

I like this post because it made me extend so we should extend Kelce

Sure-Oz
06-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Kelce is an all-time great, and he gets it. He's got enough money to last ten lifetimes or more, and he's an icon in Kansas City. He'll be rich for the rest of his life, and as he gets older it'll become increasingly valuable to him that he's beloved by everyone who wears red on game day.He will make money after football too.

dlphg9
06-28-2023, 11:20 PM
I don't think there is a more valuable contract out there in terms of what Kelce has provided for the amount of money that he's been paid.

Tyreek turned his play from his rookie year until 2021 into the biggest WR contract in NFL history at $30 mil/yr. Fom the time Tyreek was drafted in 2016 to the time he was traded after the 2021 season guess who leads the NFL in receiving yards? Travis Kelce. Travis Kelce is getting paid an average of $14.3 mil/yr. To say he's underpaid is one of the understatements of the century. This year is the first time he will be paid over $11.2 million in a season. He's made just shy of $65 mil over 10 years. He has the 75th highest cap hit in the league this year and is the 135th highest in cash ranking for the year.

He's been a top 3 WR since he's been drafted and he plays TE. The guy should be making $25-$30 mil/yr and we've gotten him for $6.5 mil/yr over his career. He's gonna make $12.25 mil this year. It's insane.

ThyKingdomCome15
06-29-2023, 03:04 AM
Yeah, Tyreek is so happy he's slapping employees at a boat dock. Nobody wants to be a miserable person like Tyreek. Money isn't everything.

dlphg9
06-29-2023, 03:23 AM
Yeah, Tyreek is so happy he's slapping employees at a boat dock. Nobody wants to be a miserable person like Tyreek. Money isn't everything.

What does this have to do with anything? Tyreek is definitely not a miserable person. What a really stupid thing to say.

chiefzilla1501
06-29-2023, 06:07 AM
I don't think there is a more valuable contract out there in terms of what Kelce has provided for the amount of money that he's been paid.

Tyreek turned his play from his rookie year until 2021 into the biggest WR contract in NFL history at $30 mil/yr. Fom the time Tyreek was drafted in 2016 to the time he was traded after the 2021 season guess who leads the NFL in receiving yards? Travis Kelce. Travis Kelce is getting paid an average of $14.3 mil/yr. To say he's underpaid is one of the understatements of the century. This year is the first time he will be paid over $11.2 million in a season. He's made just shy of $65 mil over 10 years. He has the 75th highest cap hit in the league this year and is the 135th highest in cash ranking for the year.

He's been a top 3 WR since he's been drafted and he plays TE. The guy should be making $25-$30 mil/yr and we've gotten him for $6.5 mil/yr over his career. He's gonna make $12.25 mil this year. It's insane.

Thing is, we also got tyreek for a steal too. His contract came out when he was under scrutiny again. Brooke Pryor did one thing useful after all.

RealSNR
06-29-2023, 06:27 AM
What does this have to do with anything? Tyreek is definitely not a miserable person. What a really stupid thing to say.

Yeah but he's still a big ol' bitch!

FlaChief58
06-29-2023, 07:00 AM
He's definitely underpaid based on what he brings to the table, but it's not like he's broke. Plus, he has the personality that will translate great into tv. He'll be fine

chiefzilla1501
06-29-2023, 07:16 AM

Even a billionaire would be bummed about not getting what they’re fully worth. Never understood the complaint about players being underpaid. Players are worth what someone is willing to pay him. And without a doubt travis could make more if he legit made a play in free agency years ago and if there wasn’t a salary cap. That being said, I’m glad he plays on a discount and him not hesitating for a second to stay with us (no complaints until now, no holdouts) speaks to how much this guy appreciates coach Reid and how much this guy values his team.

Dartgod
06-29-2023, 08:32 AM
I wonder how Mahomes will feel after Reid inevitably retires and the winning stops happening.

How is this post not thumbs downed into oblivion?

Mahomes will just fine and will continue owning the Donkeys after Reid is gone.

DJ's left nut
06-29-2023, 09:00 AM

If I were the best in the world - arguably ever - in an industry making billions every year, I'm not gonna be content making some small fraction of what I could be making.

Now Travis making 80% of his 'worth' on the market - I'd be fine with that. But this idea that since he could live on $1 million with ease, he should be just fine taking that - it just doesn't wash.

The NFL has a revenue split and Kelce, as much as anyone in the league, has set the standard at what he does. No, he should be content taking whatever he's offered. And none of us would be either.

RealSNR
06-29-2023, 09:02 AM

Let the boy dream. He thinks it's going to be like when Jimmy left the Cowboys, and he's going to get reeeally depressed when it's more like Walsh leaving the Niners.

tredadda
06-29-2023, 09:05 AM
Chris Harris Jr and Derek Wolfe never got over the under market deal they signed. The losing played a major role in their bitterness, but seeing players they knew they were better than sign bigger deals pissed them off.

No one cares but you troll. Go back to your thread and stay there while filling it full of tweets about field replacements, uniform color combos while ignoring ones that show the Broncos having a bottom 5 roster.

Hoover
06-29-2023, 09:06 AM
Start building the statue to this man. Like a bronze statue of him catching a pass, so when its Pat's turn he can be across from him passing the ball.

This dude is a huge part of why the Chiefs are who they are.

tredadda
06-29-2023, 09:10 AM
Start building the statue to this man. Like a bronze statue of him catching a pass, so when its Pat's turn he can be across from him passing the ball.

No lie, but that would be really cool to see.

DJ's left nut
06-29-2023, 09:14 AM

As far as I'm concerned, it's already Pat's turn.

Let him pass the thing on his way into the lockerroom for the next decade, I don't care.

Dude's fundamentally altered this franchise in a way that nobody, not Len or DT, have ever done before him. He's the 2nd most important figure figure in Chiefs history - Lamar being the only guy ahead of him.

FlaChief58
06-29-2023, 09:19 AM

Let him pass the thing on his way into the lockerroom for the next decade, I don't care.

Dude's fundamentally altered this franchise in a way that nobody, not Len or DT, have ever done before him. He's the 2nd most important figure figure in Chiefs history - Lamar being the only guy ahead of him.

Yep, start casting Pat's, travis' and Andy's statues. They'll forever be legendary in KC

DRM08
06-29-2023, 10:02 AM
The tight end market is definitely messed up. Patriots took advantage of this with Gronkowski and the Chiefs are doing the same with Kelce. I hope Travis is able to get into some of the same investment deals as Mahomes. That would help offset some of his lost income from the NFL.

Pablo
06-29-2023, 10:04 AM
I'm fine with Kelce being underpaid as well.

ghak99
06-29-2023, 10:21 AM
What we've managed to get out of him considering the financial restraints of his position does seem criminal.

I can't help buy love the guy. We've watched him go from what many people felt was an immature clown to one of the most respected players in the locker room, and the NFL as a TE. We basically watched a kid become a man right on the field and he has been a massive piece in developing the best QB in the NFL.

When he talks about how his brother is basically responsible for getting him back on the football field after being kicked off you can't help but wonder how that has played into his humbleness. It also feels like a city like KC was the perfect fit for him. Some other organizations and cities might have chewed him up and spit him out. When we pay him while everyone else is saying the wheels are falling off, I'm not going to complain. He's earned it. Get the damn statue built already!

The odds of this organization and locker room developing into what it is has to be astronomical. There's so many stories and pieces you can't even keep track of them.

Fuck, now I'm jacking off to a grown man, again.

bdj23
06-29-2023, 10:28 AM
Kelce is one of those dudes with enough personality to keep earning millions long past his NFL career if he wants to

dlphg9
06-29-2023, 10:45 AM
Thing is, we also got tyreek for a steal too. His contract came out when he was under scrutiny again. Brooke Pryor did one thing useful after all.

Still nowhere close to as good as Kelce's contract. Tyreek got 3 yrs for $54 mil, so $18 mil/yr. Kelce has only made $65 mil his entire career and has been just as, if not more productive. It's highway robbery just because his name is under TE in the depth chart and not WR.

mr. tegu
06-29-2023, 10:46 AM

Not just this franchise. Every franchise, especially in the AFC, that has any hope of winning is being altered the last few years and as we speak, very often with desperation moves. Bills overpay Miller, Raiders 10 year deal for Gruden, etc.

DRM08
06-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Still nowhere close to as good as Kelce's contract. Tyreek got 3 yrs for $54 mil, so $18 mil/yr. Kelce has only made $65 mil his entire career and has been just as, if not more productive. It's highway robbery just because his name is under TE in the depth chart and not WR.

The funny thing is you have fans of other teams who try to criticize Kelce by saying he's not a "real" tight end. "He's just a big receiver." And yet he gets paid like a tight end despite producing like an elite receiver. Pretty messed up.

T-post Tom
06-29-2023, 11:03 AM

I’m guessing CP figures “Why kick a man when he’s down.” Losing 15 straight games to a division rival is unheard of. It must be absolutely soul-crushing to be a donk fan. Hard to fathom over 7 seasons of losing to a rival with no hope in sight. Very sad indeed.

BossChief
06-29-2023, 03:08 PM
The league needs to stop using the label “tight end” to
on players that are lined up as a WR the majority of the time. It’s the exact same conversation we had with Tony Gonzalez. Travis is a huge WR, not a TE.

Trav was lined up as a WR for 660 snaps last year and was only lined up as a TE for 400.

If the NFL wants to lure the athletic big guys that can move that way (Gonzalez, Gates, Travis, etc) then they need to start paying those talents more similarly to WRs.

I think a similar shift in pay needs to happen for TEs in relation to WRs as what has happened over the last 8-10 years with IOL and OTs. That gap has narrowed quite a bit.

A guy like Travis should be getting 20m aav minimum.

DRM08
06-29-2023, 05:24 PM
The league needs to stop using the label “tight end” to
on players that are lined up as a WR the majority of the time. It’s the exact same conversation we had with Tony Gonzalez. Travis is a huge WR, not a TE.

Trav was lined up as a WR for 660 snaps last year and was only lined up as a TE for 400.

If the NFL wants to lure the athletic big guys that can move that way (Gonzalez, Gates, Travis, etc) then they need to start paying those talents more similarly to WRs.

I think a similar shift in pay needs to happen for TEs in relation to WRs as what has happened over the last 8-10 years with IOL and OTs. That gap has narrowed quite a bit.

A guy like Travis should be getting 20m aav minimum.

Should be paid based on production, not the label of the position. Would be nice if all the contracts had this kind of thing...Ahem, Frank Clark.

kcbubb
06-29-2023, 11:07 PM
Mahomes is bigger than either of those views. He’s Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

Not just this franchise. Every franchise, especially in the AFC, that has any hope of winning is being altered the last few years and as we speak, very often with desperation moves. Bills overpay Miller, Raiders 10 year deal for Gruden, etc.

IowaHawkeyeChief
06-30-2023, 11:27 AM

I get it... You have to have some delusional expectation and hope that Mahomes isn't going to kick your ass for another 12 years.

kysirsoze
07-08-2023, 09:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HThEOBdJ-fU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Make your money Trav! Hope we see more of these. Keep the man happy.

FlaChief58
07-08-2023, 09:58 AM
May as well take their money while they still have some

crispystl
07-08-2023, 09:59 AM

I agree, I'm sorta surprised there is no talk about it. Erect the damn thing tomorrow.
What pose do we want? Superman incomplete pass from the superbowl?