PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Early Years Tournament: Round 1, Heat 5.

Rain Man
07-19-2023, 12:59 AM
In this heat, we have two wins that are ... well, let's just remind ourselves that they were wins, and they led us to a Super Bowl ring.

2022 - Week 15 - W 30-24 over HOU
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202212180htx.htm
Chiefs 10-3 / Texans 1-11-1

How do we describe this game? Overtime against a 1-11-1 team doesn't seem impressive, but it was still a win. Mahomes had very good stats, including 20 straight completions. McKinnon played great. Travis had 100+ yards. But penalties, a fumble, and two uncharacteristic missed kicks let the Texans hang in there until Frank Clark forced a fumble and Willie Gay became the guy you don't want to encounter at the bottom of the pile to recover it. A win is a win, and this game was proof that the Chiefs can win on their worst days.

For some reason the highlight video doesn't include overtime, so the first video shows the regulation game and the second video shows the overtime.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zctQJD_28_s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen>

</iframe> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zX4HawoHr_Y" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2022 - Week 17 - W 27-24 over DEN
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202301010kan.htm
Chiefs 12-3 / broncos 4-11

Mahomes had another 300+ yard day and completed passes to 11 different players, including a pass completion to himself. At 3:40 in the highlights, he also made one of his career-best scrambles in the pocket…so far. L'Jarius Sneed had a great interception return despite paying a price on the tackle, and this was the height of McKinnon mania as he scored two touchdowns. The broncos actually had a chance to win at the end, but Chris Jones put an end to that with a big sack.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Gwf1AQby3o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luv
07-19-2023, 08:56 AM
It's always good to beat Denver.

wazu
07-19-2023, 08:59 AM
Both were exciting games that felt like they shouldn't have been. I loved that Willie Gay jumped up with the ball and basically forced the refs to reverse their initial decision to fuck us before even seeing who had possession.

But the Denver game gets the nod. The Broncos showed some life and threatened to end the streak, then didn't. Every win that extends that crazy streak of domination is precious.

KC_Lee
07-19-2023, 09:27 AM
It's always good to beat Denver.

/thread

Chiefspants
07-19-2023, 10:07 AM
The collective outrage by my coworkers for Jones sack was something I heard about for days.

It was wonderful.

cdcox
07-19-2023, 10:35 AM
Man, the video game summary for the Houston game looked like it was edited by somebody’s 12 year old. Too many replays, too much fan and sideline reaction, and no context provided to how the ball was moved before scoring plays. Then 5 minutes left in regulation they just quit to go play video games.

I voted for the Denver game just so I wouldn’t have to watch the Houston game again in a later round. But Mckinnon’s walk off TD in overtime was sweet.

Rain Man
07-19-2023, 10:48 AM
Man, the video game summary for the Houston game looked like it was edited by somebody’s 12 year old. Too many replays, too much fan and sideline reaction, and no context provided to how the ball was moved before scoring plays. Then 5 minutes left in regulation they just quit to go play video games.

I voted for the Denver game just so I wouldn’t have to watch the Houston game again in a later round. But Mckinnon’s walk off TD in overtime was sweet.

What was up with the highlights? There were several videos on youtube that purported to be the NFL's highlight video, and this one was by far the best. It was still far below the standard. I really do think that they let some intern create it, and it was an intern who'd never done something like this before.

Rain Man
07-19-2023, 10:50 AM
Both were exciting games that felt like they shouldn't have been. I loved that Willie Gay jumped up with the ball and basically forced the refs to reverse their initial decision to **** us before even seeing who had possession.

But the Denver game gets the nod. The Broncos showed some life and threatened to end the streak, then didn't. Every win that extends that crazy streak of domination is precious.

I was laughing about Willie Gay down there pulling ball out from between that Texan's legs. Willie's got that "gonna win in the pile" attitude that you have to admire.

Rain Man
07-19-2023, 10:53 AM
I'm really impressed by the Mahomes completion streak in the Houston game, and by the Clark/Gay/McKinnon dagger to the heart. But it was hard to vote for this game because it seemed like other guys on the team were having an off day.

The same is kind of true for the broncos game, but I enjoy wins over the broncos and there were some fun plays like the sack, scramble, and interception that I mentioned. In the end, I went with the broncos game, though I doubt that it's a contender to win the tournament.