PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Early Years Tournament: Round 1, Heat 8.

Rain Man
07-26-2023, 06:28 PM
We have a barnburner over an NFC North opponent versus another victory over an AFC West opponent. And for probably the only time in this entire tournament, Mahomes didn't throw a touchdown pass in either game.

Who ya got?

2019 - Week 4 - W 34-30 over DET
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201909290det.htm
Chiefs 3-0 / Lions 2-0-1

Is it possible to enjoy a game where Mahomes doesn't throw a touchdown pass? Where our leading yards from scrimmage guy was Lesean McCoy? Where the Chiefs had four fumbles and lost three of them? I contend yes, when you get to see Bashaud Breeland dig a fumble out of the pile and return it 100 yards for a touchdown while everyone else looks confused and also get a Mahomes two-minute drill to win the game. Four sacks by the defense (Jones with a guard-embarrassing sack, Okafar, Matthews, and Nnadi) and 300+ Mahomes yards (aided by a great Kelce lateral to McCoy) knocked the wind out of touted Lions' sails and completely destroyed their season going forward. This game was also notable by Mahomes' patented glance back to the ref before running for a long gain.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FsuRDWN9Hrg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2021 - Week 13 - W 22-9 over DEN
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202112050kan.htm
Chiefs 7-4 / Broncos 6-5

The most notable play here was Dan Sorensen doing the Deion dance on his way to the end zone during a 75-yard pick-six. The broncos actually slowed Mahomes to one of his least spectacular performances, under 200 yards with no touchdowns. Our main offensive weapons were CEH and Darrel Williams, along with 3 field goals by Butker (including a 56-yarder). The broncos actually outgained us, but the defense pummeled Teddy Bridgewater with 8 QB hits and 2 interceptions, one of which involved Hitchens killing the broncos' center on a block. The defense also forced and recovered a fumble to throttle the bad guys.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kgad9TXZEYw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
07-26-2023, 06:34 PM
I enjoy good defense even though I love watching Mahomes more. These games both involved big-time defensive plays.

I love the Dan Sorensen play, and was delighted to see him make yet another big play for us. But the broncos game was just grinding the opponent down one more time, and they'll never win against us.

The Lions game got some hype, and they were supposedly a strong team. When the Chiefs beat them, it destroyed that team. They came into the game 2-0-1, and they ended the season at 3-12-1. That Breeland fumble return remains one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen. That pile went on forever, and then Breeland trotted in, dropped to his knees to dig the ball out, and 100 yards later pulled a 14-point swing in a very close game. I'm a big fan of Breeland.

I'm going with the Lions game.

raybec 4
07-26-2023, 07:40 PM
Oh man those Chiefs defenses were bad. I picked Denver, because it's Denver.

Rain Man
07-26-2023, 08:15 PM
Oh man those Chiefs defenses were bad. I picked Denver, because it's Denver.

You can really see the difference between last year's defense and those past defenses. Veach is a sorcerer.

smithandrew051
07-26-2023, 08:16 PM
Fuck the Donkeys

cdcox
07-26-2023, 09:19 PM
That Broncos game wasn’t very entertaining. Just a grind of a game. I voted Lions.

Zebedee DuBois
07-27-2023, 08:47 PM
That Broncos game wasn’t very entertaining. Just a grind of a game. I voted Lions.

Me too.

Dartgod
07-27-2023, 09:06 PM
How in the hell did that Golladay TD with 2:30 left not get overturned? His left foot was clearly OB.

Direckshun
07-27-2023, 09:25 PM
That Lions game wins because it gave us that great Mahomes motivational sideline speech.

I’ve been looking for that for a while now. Does anybody have that video clip?