PDA

View Full Version : Football How effective are motivational pre-game/halftime speeches for you?

Rain Man
09-07-2023, 01:21 PM
The thread about the Lions' meathead coach got me thinking about all those videos of football captains or coaches with their players gathered around before games, exhorting them to victory and glory and having a gleam and stuff.

I never played organized football since my parents were committed to making me as unpopular as possible, so I never ate an orange in the locker room while hearing a halftime speech, or gathered into a pre-game mass to stand entranced by the motivational speaking powers of our local football standout.

I'll ask the question in a poll, and when the poll starts I WANT YOU TO GO OUT THERE AND VOTE! KILL THAT POLL! WE'RE IN THIS TO GET A THOUSAND RESPONSES AND YOU'RE GOING TO HELP US WIN! THIS IS YOUR DESTINY! YOU CAN DO THIS! GET IT DONE!

Sofa King
09-07-2023, 01:22 PM
No

Spott
09-07-2023, 01:24 PM
I always get fired up when I think about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

redfan
09-07-2023, 01:26 PM
They turn my piss to vinegar and boil my blood. Also cause me to breathe fire.
All in all, thumbs up.

Eleazar
09-07-2023, 01:26 PM
I'VE BEEN READY FOR THIS MY WHOLE LIFE

Easy 6
09-07-2023, 01:27 PM
My 7th and 8th grade coach could enthrall us and definitely get us to elevate our play, whereas my high school coach was Mr Magoo who didn't know shit from apple butter

ptlyon
09-07-2023, 01:27 PM
That time with Cameron Diaz comes to mind

Wallcrawler
09-07-2023, 01:32 PM
Exhibit A: Marty Schottenheimer.

Maybe if someone gave him a motivational speech he would have been able to select the proper quarterbacks to start the 95 and 97 Superbowl Caliber Chiefs playoff games.

Bearcat
09-07-2023, 01:33 PM
I WANT YOU TO GO OUT THERE AND VOTE! KILL THAT POLL! WE'RE IN THIS TO GET A THOUSAND RESPONSES AND YOU'RE GOING TO HELP US WIN! THIS IS YOUR DESTINY! YOU CAN DO THIS! GET IT DONE!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/t8Q03Zun1DJ1dxEfrC" width="480" height="400" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/OKX-t8Q03Zun1DJ1dxEfrC">via GIPHY</a></p>

Megatron96
09-07-2023, 01:40 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V8lT1o0sDwI" title="Animal House: Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rainbarrel
09-07-2023, 01:40 PM
I only pretended to watch Rihanna, coach is a twit

Cheater5
09-07-2023, 01:47 PM
My only experience with something like this of any importance was playing in the Missouri State H.S. Class 5A Football Championship at Arrowhead my senior year.

I still remember our coaches halftime speech. So, I do think it made a difference.

tredadda
09-07-2023, 01:49 PM
At half time Reid said anyone going out to watch Rhianna would not play the rest of the SB and the Chiefs won. I guess it must have been pretty effective.

Rain Man
09-07-2023, 01:51 PM
My only experience with something like this of any importance was playing in the Missouri State H.S. Class 5A Football Championship at Arrowhead my senior year.

I still remember our coaches halftime speech. So, I do think it made a difference.

Independent of the halftime speech, did you win or lose?

Old Dog
09-07-2023, 01:52 PM
The in game adjustments, sure.....the rah, rah, BS....nah

Why Not?
09-07-2023, 01:55 PM
I mean, they are fun and part of the experience. Do they really matter? Let me put it to you like this....I bet many a coach has given an impassioned speech while losing or leading the Chiefs by a few points or before a playoff game or Super Bowl, only to see Mahomes use the sheet the speech was written on as a shot rag.

ptlyon
09-07-2023, 01:56 PM
They should bring Al pachino in and recreate the scent of a woman court scene

scho63
09-07-2023, 01:58 PM
I was really motivated pre-thread when I read the title but lost all motivation at the halfway point going through all the choices.

BWillie
09-07-2023, 02:34 PM
Next to zero. But some guys need em

ThaVirus
09-07-2023, 03:00 PM
I’m not a rah rah kind of guy so they never did anything for me.

I know it’s effective for others, though, so more power to ‘em.

Bearcat
09-07-2023, 03:01 PM
I said minorly.

I've had rah-rah yelling bosses and it just doesn't do it for me at all... if anything, I'll probably laugh at the outburst.

I'd be at least somewhat motivated by stuff that went beyond cliches.... mentioning we can take advantage of a weakness or little reminders to get everyone focused.

And I have no idea how coaches do it, game after game and year after year, especially on a team that's been there and done that. Of course, there are always new faces and young kids to coach up, but keeping the energy high during the dog days of the regular season (well, September through late December) would be tough.

poolboy
09-07-2023, 03:02 PM
just play some Phil Collins instead

KC_Lee
09-07-2023, 03:06 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H35SFt5vT0A?si=uNCrqzWiU1ts9hrU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loochy
09-07-2023, 04:53 PM
Not effective. It's tired, made up shit. If I'm not already motivated for real reasons, some words from a jackass won't help

Cheater5
09-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Independent of the halftime speech, did you win or lose?

We won, 13 - 10 on a literal last second 37 yard field goal.

It was really more about the man giving the speech than what he said— we respected him that much. He pulled the seniors into a corner of the locker room, and reminded us that this is likely the last 24 minutes of organized football we’re ever going to play, and just make the most of our opportunities. Yeah, rah-rah kid stuff. But it was true. And we won.

Rain Man
09-07-2023, 05:12 PM
We won, 13 - 10 on a literal last second 37 yard field goal.

It was really more about the man giving the speech than what he said— we respected him that much. He pulled the seniors into a corner of the locker room, and reminded us that this is likely the last 24 minutes of organized football we’re ever going to play, and just make the most of our opportunities. Yeah, rah-rah kid stuff. But it was true. And we won.

If they make a movie of that, I'll watch it. I'll offer a belated congratulations.

I wonder if that's the highlight of your kicker's life, whether he'll admit that to his family or not.