PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Difference Between 10-0 and 7-3

Bowser
11-22-2023, 07:59 PM
Lately there's been a ton of great breakdown and speculation as to why the Chiefs are where they are right now. Some of it great, some of it not so great, some of it insane......but if you look at each game, here is what has us at 7-3....

- Toney not catching a pass that hits him in the hands that leads to a Lions pick 6
- The Chiefs turning the ball over three times in the first half against the Broncos
- MVS not catching the bomb against the Eagles

That's it. You take those five plays and their disastrous results away, and we are 10-0. Literally five plays have cost us three games. And while the breakdown of the receivers, the players, the coaches, and the schemes have been productive and have merit, we aren't talking about any of this if the Chiefs hadn't shot themselves in the foot those five critical times.

In closing, and TL;DR -

We'll
Be
Fine

*yes, I understand I've employed Vermeil logic here (yeah their guy ran for 159 yards against us, but if you take away his 58 and 73 yard runs, we held him to 2.0 yards a carry!), but I feel the logic is sound in this case

carcosa
11-22-2023, 08:03 PM
WBF!!!! I SALUTE U

Bump
11-22-2023, 08:05 PM
Which is why I'm not worried, this is all just practice for us until we get to the playoffs.

Despite having the one of the worst receiving units in Chiefs history, we are still a Superbowl contender.

I think Veach prioritized protecting the franchise QB by drafting/signing big free agents on the o-line. He didn't want an Andrew Luck situation happening. Probably figured that Mahomes will still find a way with trash at WR.

Mistake free football in the playoffs = another Superbowl appearance.

smithandrew051
11-22-2023, 08:05 PM
If Carcosa’s post goes gold, the Chiefs will win the Super Bowl.

carcosa
11-22-2023, 08:07 PM

YUUUUUP

mlyonsd
11-22-2023, 08:09 PM

In

Bowser
11-22-2023, 08:10 PM
Which is why I'm not worried, this is all just practice for us until we get to the playoffs.

Despite having the one of the worst receiving units in Chiefs history, we are still a Superbowl contender.

I think Veach prioritized protecting the franchise QB by drafting/signing big free agents on the o-line. He didn't want an Andrew Luck situation happening. Probably figured that Mahomes will still find a way with trash at WR.

I definitely feel like they've overvalued the WR room due to Mahomes being Mahomes. But even that said, we're still near the top of the league in yards and offense (I believe).

Still, never thought I'd be wishing for the days of DeMarcus Robinson, Byron Pringle, and Chris Conley, but here I am.

Chief Pagan
11-22-2023, 08:11 PM
Okay, so we had four wins that were one score games (if you include an 8 point win over Jac).

What would it have taken for those teams to win?

We not be fine?

Womble
11-22-2023, 08:12 PM
https://resources.finalsite.net/images/f_auto,q_auto,t_image_size_2/v1695061669/shadyside/szce9ur3bcdcdslxkx2i/SkyyMoore-3.jpg

smithandrew051
11-22-2023, 08:14 PM
We did it boys

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-22-2023, 08:14 PM
Okay, so we had four wins that were one score games (if you include an 8 point win over Jac).

We not be fine?

a lot, they never felt in doubt negative Nancy...:shake:

Bowser
11-22-2023, 08:15 PM

We not be fine?

Well, I neither know nor care to answer that, because I wouldn't change anything in those games. ;)

Chief Pagan
11-22-2023, 08:18 PM
And no guarantee that we win even if MVS catches that.

1:50 remaining is lots of time for a game tying FG.

Although KC's D was playing great.

Chief Pagan
11-22-2023, 08:20 PM
Well, I neither know nor care to answer that, because I wouldn't change anything in those games. ;)

Yes, if only Veach drafted perfectly in hindsight, we could have the DK Metcalfs and never ever again have a bust.

So simple.

mlyonsd
11-22-2023, 08:21 PM
And no guarantee that we win even if MVS catches that.

1:50 remaining is lots of time for a game tying FG.

Although KC's D was playing great.
And? Since the organization is a failure feel free to pick another team.

Bowser
11-22-2023, 08:45 PM
Yes, if only Veach drafted perfectly in hindsight, we could have the DK Metcalfs and never ever again have a bust.

So simple.

Not so sure what DK Metcalf has to do with this since he's never been on the team, but ok.

Titty Meat
11-22-2023, 08:51 PM
It's a meme on Facebook the drops are bad but we aren't talking about some of Patrick's turnovers the pick 6 against the Lions & The Red Zone pick vs Philly

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-22-2023, 08:55 PM
It's a meme on Facebook the drops are bad but we aren't talking about some of Patrick's turnovers the pick 6 against the Lions & The Red Zone pick vs Philly

Lions pick 6 was a drop, Monday's red zone pick was a horrible pass and deserves criticism.

Titty Meat
11-22-2023, 09:03 PM
Lions pick 6 was a drop, Monday's red zone pick was a horrible pass and deserves criticism.

Yeah forgot about that. Kelces fumble was huge too but MVS drop you can't do that

DrunkBassGuitar
11-22-2023, 09:52 PM
Kelces fumble was a good play by the defense, it got punched out. Not much Kelce could have done to stop it imo. Sure he could have gone down before the punch but you can't really get mad at him for fighting for extra yards.

But yes we'll be fine. Receivers are going to get the drops figured out and we're going to shit house the eagles in the game that matters

suzzer99
11-22-2023, 10:12 PM
I agree it was a great play by the defense. But Kelce could have protected the wet ball better. That ball came out with zero resistance. You can tell he was trying to get down though.

Kelce is getting slower, which gives fast young players plenty of time to try to rip or punch the rip the ball out, like the Bengals did in the AFCCG last year. He should consider just going down at first contact like Todd Christiansen always did later in his career. That ****er was so frustrating because he never even gave you a chance for a turnover.

JohnnyHammersticks
11-22-2023, 10:18 PM
Not sure if it was my rose-colored glasses or what, but it looked pretty obvious to me that we were the best team Monday night. Which kind of surprised me tbh.

How much of that was due to home field advantage is up for debate, but to me it looked like we were clearly the better team. I'm usually a nervous wreck during the game, but I was pretty calm all the way through the Eagles game. Until MVS happened, that is. Really enjoyed watching our defense. Right up until the final play I still thought we were winning that game.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2023, 10:24 PM

Let's not act like they haven't invested at receiver either. 2 second round picks and traded a 3rd for Toney. Heck make it a 3rd second round pick if you include Hardman.

xztop123
11-22-2023, 10:37 PM
I don’t understand why Hardman was getting more targets back when kc had a decent wr corps (including Tyreek hill)

And now that our WRs suck he’s getting almost no targets.

Did he decline ? He’s not old.

threebag
11-22-2023, 10:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_jQFWHXQAAfx21?format=jpg&name=large

Bump
11-22-2023, 11:00 PM
Let's not act like they haven't invested at receiver either. 2 second round picks and traded a 3rd for Toney. Heck make it a 3rd second round pick if you include Hardman.

ya that's true they just missed on most of the attempts and the MVS contract

carcosa
11-22-2023, 11:09 PM
We did it boys

Let's goo!!!!!!!

Nickhead
11-22-2023, 11:31 PM
When was the last time somebody beats the chiefs, that wasn’t the chiefs?

Redbled
11-22-2023, 11:35 PM
I don’t understand why Hardman was getting more targets back when kc had a decent wr corps (including Tyreek hill)

And now that our WRs suck he’s getting almost no targets.

Did he decline ? He’s not old.

He was hurt Monday night.

Redbled
11-22-2023, 11:37 PM
Really any of 4 things go differently and we likely win Monday night.

Either turnover
MVS drop
Watson’s 3rd drop.

We were the better team I just can’t decide if I want them again or the Lions. We will beat either.

Fishels
11-23-2023, 12:02 AM

If they can handle the drops we will repeat. I really hope they do

If they actually manage to pull this off I wouldn’t even send anyone away in the offseason (this would mean they played great in the playoffs). Back to back SB and you’re allowed an off year in my book

But I think MVS is gone no matter what

ThyKingdomCome15
11-23-2023, 12:08 AM
In other words we're a spectacular team with sloppy tendencies. That's the Mahomes era in a nut shell.

Looking at the big picture we are who we've always been.

scho63
11-23-2023, 01:05 AM
Drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop.

:thumb:

29 of 'em.

Turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover.

19 of them.

That is a total of 48 drive killing/ending plays or nearly 5 per game.

When the Average number of drives per game is 10.9 in 2022, that is almost 50% of all drives hurt.

Add in 67 penalties or 6.7 per game which is roughly a penalty on 60% of our drives.

Too costly.

Fishels
11-23-2023, 03:00 AM
In other words we're a spectacular team with sloppy tendencies. That's the Mahomes era in a nut shell.

Pretty much

Bump
11-23-2023, 03:05 AM

In a way, Chris Jones now truly knows how Mahomes felt during his first couple of seasons here.

Chris Jones is the only one that was here playing on defense when they had to put up 40+ to win games. Now the defense is amazing while they watch the offense not putting up points.

Wisconsin_Chief
11-23-2023, 07:35 AM
Drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop, drop.

:thumb:

29 of 'em.

Turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover, turnover.

19 of them.

That is a total of 48 drive killing/ending plays or nearly 5 per game.

When the Average number of drives per game is 10.9 in 2022, that is almost 50% of all drives hurt.

Add in 67 penalties or 6.7 per game which is roughly a penalty on 60% of our drives.

Too costly.

That’s mind boggling when you lay it all out like that. It’s amazing that we’re still 7-3.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-23-2023, 08:20 AM
First time? *insert noose gif*

(Watching the nfl)

Pasta Little Brioni
11-23-2023, 08:25 AM
You can't just write this stuff off though when it happens this much.

You can't just write off 3 turnovers and just be like TAKE CARE OF THE BALL and we winz!!! When they've done it all year. You can't point to a drop, a penalty, or whatever when they've done it all year.

The reality is it's an absolute dog shit WR group that basement YouTube clip "film watchers" were begging to put 4 of these clowns on the field at the same time because they were "so talented " at the beginning of the season. The reality is that group just suck balls....

Pasta Little Brioni
11-23-2023, 08:27 AM
On the flip side....

It's not like we haven't benefited from opposing team gaffes like that to win either

crispystl
11-23-2023, 08:38 AM
When was the last time somebody beats the chiefs, that wasn’t the chiefs?

Probably a couple years ago when Mahomes had the bum ankle and the Titans took us behind the woodshed.

BigRock
11-23-2023, 08:56 AM
- Toney not catching a pass that hits him in the hands that leads to a Lions pick 6
Even with the pick 6, he dropped an easy pass late that would have put us in FG range down by 1.

Bearcat
11-23-2023, 09:24 AM
You can't just write this stuff off though when it happens this much.

You can't just write off 3 turnovers and just be like TAKE CARE OF THE BALL and we winz!!! When they've done it all year. You can't point to a drop, a penalty, or whatever when they've done it all year.

Even with the pick 6, he dropped an easy pass late that would have put us in FG range down by 1.

I don't disagree at all, because it's that much more important in the playoffs and you won't get away with 10 drops or 3 turnovers... at the same time, it's at least a little comforting knowing the offense in all of its struggles has a decent amount of leeway since the defense is so damn good, and Mahomes doing Mahomes things.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
I don't disagree at all, because it's that much more important in the playoffs and you won't get away with 10 drops or 3 turnovers... at the same time, it's at least a little comforting knowing the offense in all of its struggles has a decent amount of leeway since the defense is so damn good, and Mahomes doing Mahomes things.

We know this is an elite, talented team. It's just this has not happened to this offense for this long of a time frame.

These WRs? All we have is Lil Chiefy level hope they learn how to catch the ball when they haven't all season.

The defense? Legit as fuck though

Sure-Oz
11-23-2023, 10:14 AM
https://twitter.com/lexiosborne/status/1727432814738714776?t=kltFmlGsjkyDX3bWuzuQtw&s=19

From new heights. Def can tell Kelce is bothered

DJJasonp
11-23-2023, 10:25 AM
we've scored less points than the Browns.

The Browns.

with a chunk of the season having their no-name backup at QB

Let that sink in.....

There's more than just WR problems.

mr. tegu
11-23-2023, 10:30 AM
The only game I’m willing to say was one easy play away from a victory is against the Lions. If Toney catches that first down pass we run out the clock and kick a pretty easy field goal to win. The others we had plenty of work to do in order to win besides one play. And of course we have victories where we benefited from other teams mistakes as well so it’s probably a wash. We can’t honestly say a team that scores 5 points per second half should or could be 10-0.

FloridaMan88
11-23-2023, 11:30 AM
The Chiefs are 10-0, or at worst 9-1… if DeAndre Hopkins was their WR1.

Change my mind.

scho63
11-23-2023, 11:36 AM
That’s mind boggling when you lay it all out like that. It’s amazing that we’re still 7-3.

That shows you how incredibly impressive our defense has been.

Bowser
11-23-2023, 11:55 AM

No lie

Pinchshot
11-23-2023, 12:01 PM
I told this to a non believer the other day.

Gary Cooper
11-23-2023, 12:40 PM
On the flip side....

It's not like we haven't benefited from opposing team gaffes like that to win either
Exactly. Those are the bounces game to game. This team has NO business being 10-0. They're scoring less points in the second half than the Palko/Bono offenses.

7-3 is about right. They've even won two games in the last month despite scoring a combined 7 second half points in those games (Chargers/Dolphins). So it could be worse or better.

Rausch
11-23-2023, 12:46 PM
THis team is still winning the SB they'll just have to do it a whole lot more like those early Patriots teams and not scoring twice in the last 4 minutes. Every possession, turnover, and 3rd down conversion count now.
Leaning heavy on what is likely the best defense in the league...

Coochie liquor
11-23-2023, 01:49 PM
Really any of 4 things go differently and we likely win Monday night.

Either turnover
MVS drop
Watson’s 3rd drop.

We were the better team I just can’t decide if I want them again or the Lions. We will beat either.

It is tough, but I’d rather have the Eagles. I want to hear all those Philly fans crying like bitches again. I few like Detroit fans would be happy just to be there. Philly deserves back to back SB losses to Mahomes!

BWillie
11-23-2023, 02:47 PM

Change my mind.

Easily.

jerryaldini
11-23-2023, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/lexiosborne/status/1727432814738714776?t=kltFmlGsjkyDX3bWuzuQtw&s=19

From new heights. Def can tell Kelce is bothered

Thanks for posting that. Always good to see how much certain players care. Hopefully most of the team feels this urgency.

ThyKingdomCome15
11-23-2023, 06:43 PM
We're right there as dismal as the sloppy play has been. It's truly a shame the story of our messy offensive players is overshadowing the story of the best defense KC has had in roughly 30 years. We have time to tie up the loose ends.

Football season starts after Thanksgiving.-Bill Belichick

threebag
11-23-2023, 08:39 PM
Taking CEH at 32 has really sucked.

scho63
11-23-2023, 08:55 PM
"Chiefs The Difference Between 10-0 and 7-3"

About 3 loses

MagicHef
11-23-2023, 10:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_jQFWHXQAAfx21?format=jpg&name=large

Skyy Moore’s drop would have been worth 16 points? Wow

Bump
11-24-2023, 01:29 AM
Skyy Moore’s drop would have been worth 16 points? Wow

that Skyy Moore drop was on like 4th and 2 as well. Ended the drive

King_Chief_Fan
11-24-2023, 09:56 AM
Thanks for posting that. Always good to see how much certain players care. Hopefully most of the team feels this urgency.

fumbles, Interceptions and penalties.....things pros should be able to correct.

Let's see if they are good/smart enough to turn it around

TEX
11-24-2023, 10:02 AM

Change my mind.

Will not even try.

TEX
11-24-2023, 10:09 AM
It is tough, but I’d rather have the Eagles. I want to hear all those Philly fans crying like bitches again. I few like Detroit fans would be happy just to be there. Philly deserves back to back SB losses to Mahomes!

This is exactly where Im at also.

MagicHef
11-24-2023, 10:22 AM
that Skyy Moore drop was on like 4th and 2 as well. Ended the drive

Again, must have been an awesome drive to have the potential to end in 16 points.

Chris Meck
11-24-2023, 11:06 AM
Just catch the fucking ball, man.

What the fuck?

RunKC
11-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Again, must have been an awesome drive to have the potential to end in 16 points.

The real decider of that game was the Hardman fumbled punt

Wallcrawler
11-24-2023, 07:43 PM
The real decider of that game was the Hardman fumbled punt

This.

Absolutely ZERO reason to even attempt to field that punt. That was 100% going to be a touchback.

Stupid hero ball move and completely pink socked us.

I'm not sure if it's hero ball with Hardman, or Dave Toub just being so stupid to allow punts that sail over the 10 yard line to be fielded by his returners.

I'm not sure what anyone expected, we saw this from Hardman when he originally lost punt return duties. Then we trade to bring him back, just to put him back there doing the same dumb shit that cost him the job the first time.

And where are the Jet sweeps and jet motion plays that this dude is supposedly so good at that gets everyone open and was this sorely missed offensive spark?

This guy ain't shit. He can't even do what he used to be good at for us.