PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Wait - I can't Flip my Cyber Truck?

Pinchshot
12-13-2023, 02:25 PM
That's the only reason I put down a deposit. Damn. I want my $100 back.

(from Morning Brew)

Attention, Cybertruck owners: The only thing you’ll be able to do with your new vehicle is drive it. Tesla added a clause to its purchase contracts allowing it to sue buyers for at least $50,000 if they try to resell their Cybertruck within a year of purchase.

So what are unhappy cybertruckers supposed to do if they realize they don’t actually need a bulletproof futuristic truck? The contract requires owners to offer to sell it back to Tesla for a discounted price and to only resell the vehicle with the company’s written consent, according to ArsTechnica. If customers breach the contract, they could get banned from owning a Tesla in the future, in addition to the financial penalty.

The lawsuit threat appeared in an earlier public version of the Cybertruck contract last month, but was removed after backlash. Now it’s resurfaced in recent order agreements.
Clauses like this aren’t unprecedented for exclusive high-end vehicles, and Tesla hasn’t specified if the rules will apply to all Cybertrucks or just the initial release.
But at least trucks are finally moving: After years of delays, the EV maker finally handed over the keys to its first 10 Cybertrucks in a brief delivery event last month. CEO Elon Musk revealed some highly anticipated specs, including the Cybertruck’s ability to tow 1,000 more pounds than the Ford F-150 Lightning and outrace a Porsche 911.

DaFace
12-13-2023, 02:26 PM
Cybertruck was an interesting, albeit bizarre, concept a few years ago. These days I have no idea why you'd buy one instead of getting a Rivian or F150 Lightning (if you can find one), though. I'm just not sure what it brings to the table beyond an edgy look.

Jewish Rabbi
12-13-2023, 02:29 PM
Cybertruck was an interesting, albeit bizarre, concept a few years ago. These days I have no idea why you'd buy one instead of getting a Rivian or F150 Lightning (if you can find one), though. I'm just not sure what it brings to the table beyond an edgy look.

People hoping to find a golden ticket in their glovebox that allows them to give Elon a blumpkin

Megatron96
12-13-2023, 02:31 PM
I knew that thing was going to flop. Elon should’ve bailed on that POS about three years ago.

KCUnited
12-13-2023, 02:34 PM
Have to plasi dip it first to maximize profits

AdolfOliverBush
12-13-2023, 02:35 PM

Kinda like Steve Buscemi has an "edgy look" for an actor? LMAO

BWillie
12-13-2023, 02:42 PM

I need to know more about the Rivian cross country charging network. Appears Tesla still has them there.

Katipan
12-13-2023, 02:43 PM

https://www.businessinsider.com/rivian-buyer-car-died-in-snow-after-3-year-wait-2023-3

penguinz
12-13-2023, 02:57 PM
I need to know more about the Rivian cross country charging network. Appears Tesla still has them there.

You will be able to use the Tesla superchargers.

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/rivian-accelerates-electrification-through-adoption-of-north-american-charging-standard-and-access-to-teslas-supercharger-network

JimNasium
12-13-2023, 04:12 PM
The thing that scares the hell out of me about Rivian is the long term viability of the brand. They are so far away from running a profit that I’m not confident they make it. Then it would be like getting customer support for a Gateway computer.

UteChief
12-13-2023, 04:14 PM
I think Tesla reversed the decision on this.

scho63
12-13-2023, 05:23 PM
The Tesla Cyber Truck looks like a DeLorean if they had a truck model.

Ugly as fuck IMHO.

I see a bunch of Rivians around and they look pretty cool.

Eleazar
12-13-2023, 05:50 PM
Seems like a good idea to prevent flippers from gobbling them all up and reselling them.

KCUnited
12-13-2023, 05:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/nIBZ20G.jpg

Pablo
12-13-2023, 05:58 PM
The Tesla Cyber Truck looks like a DeLorean if they had a truck model.

Ugly as fuck IMHO.

I see a bunch of Rivians around and they look pretty cool.

It does?

Look at this ugly piece of shit.

https://www.thedrive.com/uploads/2022/10/13/2022-Rivian-R1T_KL_28.jpg?auto=webp

Megatron96
12-13-2023, 06:00 PM
It does?

It ain't pretty, but it looks like a pickup. The cybertruck doesn't. Then add in the fact that the cybertruck apparently has all sorts of fit and finish issues, and maybe worst of all, it's a total POS off-road.

Chieftain
12-13-2023, 06:01 PM
Rivian trucks look amazing, like a blend of old school and futurism. I would never buy anything from the overpriced and overhyped garbage that is Tesla.

Pablo
12-13-2023, 06:04 PM
It ain't pretty, but it looks like a pickup. The cybertruck doesn't. Then add in the fact that the cybertruck apparently has all sorts of fit and finish issues, and maybe worst of all, it's a total POS off-road.

That front end is a war crime. The rest of it is fine but what an ugly face on a 90k vehicle

Megatron96
12-13-2023, 06:06 PM
That front end is a war crime. The rest of it is fine but what an ugly face on a 90k vehicle

Lol, yah, can't argue with that. The front end is not pretty. Only positive is that it's better looking than the cybertruck's entire truck, by a mile.

Pablo
12-13-2023, 06:09 PM
Lol, yah, can't argue with that. The front end is not pretty. Only positive is that it's better looking than the cybertruck's entire truck, by a mile.

Oh yeah the cyber truck looks like you let a 7 year old draw dads truck and it made it to production

Megatron96
12-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Oh yeah the cyber truck looks like you let a 7 year old draw dads truck and it made it to production

And I think that you're insulting 7-year-olds everywhere with that statement, lol.

BWillie
12-13-2023, 06:13 PM

I think though that will appeal to a certain amount of butt fucking idiots. I kinda like the design of the Cybertruck. Cuz Im a butt fucking idiot. Its different. Its edgy. That's the point

Couch-Potato
12-13-2023, 06:17 PM
They'll end up being successful despite the hate, just watch.

If not commercially, they'll be worth a lot as collectors items.

Megatron96
12-13-2023, 06:18 PM
I think though that will appeal to a certain amount of butt fucking idiots. I kinda like the design of the Cybertruck. Cuz Im a butt fucking idiot. Its different. Its edgy. That's the point

I don't mind the idea of trying to design a futuro truck, per se. Nothing wrong with trying to "imagineer" a futuristic truck. It's the execution that sucks in this case. That, and apparently the thing isn't actually ready for production, so people are basically getting a product with all kinds of fit and finish issues for a huge amount of money. It's like having to pay $100,000 for a Yugo.

philfree
12-13-2023, 06:20 PM
Elon has whiffed on the Cyber Truck. It's fugly and I'm having a hard time seeing were to put things in the back. Where do the dog boxes go? How can I toss my sports gear over and into the bed? Where do I stack the concrete blocks? He'd been better off making it look like a '69 Chevy.

I see the Rivians around and the lines on those aren't bad.

Eureka
12-13-2023, 06:27 PM
I see them in person daily. They don't look as bad in person. Putting a wrap on the vehicle will make it even more unique.

I like the four wheel steering.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-13-2023, 06:43 PM
My neighbor has an R1S. It's an attractive vehicle in person. I've seen several around, but don't recall an R1T.

Megatron96
12-13-2023, 06:46 PM
My neighbor has an R1S. It's an attractive vehicle in person. I've seen several around, but don't recall an R1T.

There's a R1S and a R1T here in Anthem. Seen a few Ts in the Scottsdale area as well. The S looks pretty good, imo, but I've never gotten a chance to walk around one; only seen them on the road.

The T looks okay, but small.

DaFace
12-13-2023, 07:47 PM
There's a R1S and a R1T here in Anthem. Seen a few Ts in the Scottsdale area as well. The S looks pretty good, imo, but I've never gotten a chance to walk around one; only seen them on the road.

The T looks okay, but small.Both are prevalent around here. The R1T is a fantastic mountain vehicle - a friend of mine got his a year or so ago and loves it. Of course, they're still backordered on the camp kitchen expansion with no ETA, so there's that.

I don't personally mind the look at all, but I'm not a traditional truck guy either.

Fat Elvis
12-13-2023, 08:10 PM
https://cdn-img.scalabs.com.au/N51VAVHqB9oqT4TVpt6s-mbJGhY1Fx5v_Zh-DvueNjQ/aHR0cHM6Ly9zdy10/cmlwbGVtLXByZC5z/Y2FkaWdpdGFsLmlv/L21lZGlhLzI1MjQ2/L3RoZS1ob21lci5q/cGc_cHJlc2V0PU1h/aW5JbWFnZQ

Elon Musk:

https://grammarist.com/wp-content/uploads/Hold-My-Beer-Origin-Meaning-Usage-1-1024x478.png

Chief Pagan
12-13-2023, 08:11 PM
The contract requires owners to offer to sell it back to Tesla Ticket Master Acme Inc. for a discounted price or to only resell it with the company taking a big fat percentage just because

Welcome to the 21 century.

Pinchshot
12-13-2023, 08:28 PM
Seems like a good idea to prevent flippers from gobbling them all up and reselling them.

You got something against capitalism?

trndobrd
12-13-2023, 09:10 PM
I'm waiting for the open top version.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MphpFNJ9Uoc/T6sQBxHEJUI/AAAAAAAAMtY/l4YTewjMCus/s400/ride76.jpg

Or maybe the RV model.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jjDkHohDKeM/T6sP-5vTCwI/AAAAAAAAMtQ/F3NPBFMw6XM/s400/ride76a.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-13-2023, 09:41 PM

Dude, what other vehicle can you drive through the Bronx and yell out the window "Crypts suck" and not have to worry about getting shot

BWillie
12-13-2023, 10:42 PM
Dude, what other vehicle can you drive through the Bronx and yell out the window "Crypts suck" and not have to worry about getting shot

Right? Cheapest way to buy a tank

RedRaider56
12-13-2023, 11:23 PM
While not as drastic as Tesla's suing owners if they sell their truck, Chevrolet told owners that if they flipped their car within the first year, the warranty was voided. 2nd owner would be completely f'd.

Problem with the EV trucks is the range if towing anything drops to about 1/3 - 1/2 of the estimated range. Pull a camper with that Rivian? Recharge every 100 miles.

cdcox
12-14-2023, 12:09 AM

I can buy a hot vehicle and flip it in a year. Capitalism!

I can produce a hot vehicle and sell subscriptions to desirable capabilities and restrictions on resell. Also capitalism!

El Lobo Gordo
12-14-2023, 01:29 AM
I can buy a hot vehicle and flip it in a year. Capitalism!

I can produce a hot vehicle and sell subscriptions to desirable capabilities and restrictions on resell. Also capitalism!

"The clause" makes the truck appear hotter than it actually is. It is a marketing gimmick.

backinblack
12-14-2023, 02:30 AM
I’ll bet you I can flip a Cybertruck, hold my beer

Eleazar
12-14-2023, 07:44 AM

They can sell whatever they want, at whatever terms they want, to whomever they choose. If anyone doesn't like the terms they can buy something else. But if that person does agree to the terms in the contract, they have to abide by it.

Oh noes "capitalism" is so bad

Eleazar
12-14-2023, 07:53 AM
Something that stuck out at me in Car and Driver:

The tri-motor model has a claimed 6843-pound curb weight.

Lzen
12-14-2023, 08:06 AM

If I were looking for a electric truck, it would definitely not be the F150. And I'm not saying that as a Ford hater, I'm saying that as a happy current Ford truck owner. The F150 Lightning is way under what they say as far as mileage on a single charge. I think there might have a been a couple of other issues, as well.

Lzen
12-14-2023, 08:14 AM
https://www.businessinsider.com/rivian-buyer-car-died-in-snow-after-3-year-wait-2023-3

That would make just about anyone want to go postal. But at least they finally offered to reimburse him for the shipping. I'm going to chalk this up to new tech as well as new companies learning. Hopefully, they will get better at dealing with issues and improve their products as well as their customer service. If they don't (and the market is allowed to work), they won't be in that business long.

Lzen
12-14-2023, 08:19 AM
It does?

That is ugly. Reminds me of when Honda first built their truck. I've since gotten used to seeing those Honda trucks so they don't look so unusual any more. Plus, they have some pretty well thought out features.

This one is not pretty but it's nowhere near as bad as the Tesla truck.

Pinchshot
12-14-2023, 08:20 AM
For the record, all electric vehicles are scams especially a truck. I seriously was only interested in buying one to flip it.

Lzen
12-14-2023, 08:21 AM
I think though that will appeal to a certain amount of butt ****ing idiots. I kinda like the design of the Cybertruck. Cuz Im a butt ****ing idiot. Its different. Its edgy. That's the point

ROFL

Why am I not surprised by this?

Lzen
12-14-2023, 08:24 AM

????

Did you mean Crips?

Lzen
12-14-2023, 08:26 AM
They can sell whatever they want, at whatever terms they want, to whomever they choose. If anyone doesn't like the terms they can buy something else. But if that person does agree to the terms in the contract, they have to abide by it.

Right? I don't know that I would ever sign on to a contract like that. But hey, if someone wants to agree to do then that is perfectly fine and legal.

penguinz
12-14-2023, 09:17 AM
That is ugly. Reminds me of when Honda first built their truck. I've since gotten used to seeing those Honda trucks so they don't look so unusual any more. Plus, they have some pretty well thought out features.

Honda doesn;t sell a truck. They sell a car with a truck bed on it.

No unibody vehicle is a real truck.

Lzen
12-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Honda doesn;t sell a truck. They sell a car with a truck bed on it.

No unibody vehicle is a real truck.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="25128054" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1" data-width="30%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/thumbs-up-nod-okay-gif-25128054">Thumbs Up Nod GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/thumbs+up-gifs">Thumbs Up GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Eleazar
12-14-2023, 02:14 PM

I think what Honda is doing with the Ridgeline makes sense, because it is what the majority of truck buyers actually need.

But most people buy vehicles using a decision making process that isn't entirely practical and so in that sense I'm a little surprised it's lasted as long as it has.

JohnnyHammersticks
12-14-2023, 08:08 PM

Your amazing streak of being wrong about everything remains INTACT! :thumb:

Chief Pagan
12-14-2023, 10:54 PM

And if you don't like Ticket Master, you can buy your ticket from...

Or say industries where there are three or four players that offer basically the same take them or leave them terms.

Certainly you can [still so far] buy a car that doesn't have Telsa's contract attached. But there are more and more things that consumers are finding out they don't own despite 'buying' and in fact all they got was a revocable license.

When the whole industry switches, the option to buy somewhere else doesn't exist.

BWillie
12-14-2023, 11:48 PM
When I get my Cybertruck I'm gonna make a thread about eating $100 olive garden lunches in the back seat while fucking strippers from the outhouse i made up in belize. Im going to do it on one of you fucks laptops I stole after I lured them to the truck with my pick up artist techniques

backinblack
12-15-2023, 12:01 AM
When I get my Cybertruck I'm gonna make a thread about eating $100 olive garden lunches in the back seat while fucking strippers from the outhouse i made up in belize. Im going to do it on one of you fucks laptops I stole after I lured them to the truck with my pick up artist techniques

and nobody will care because this isn’t high school

BWillie
12-15-2023, 12:04 AM
and nobody will care because this isn’t high school

Hey shithead how many Saltwater Hot Tubs do you own? Clown

backinblack
12-15-2023, 01:25 AM
the fuck does that even mean

saltwater hot tubs isn't that a band

ChiliConCarnage
12-15-2023, 06:28 AM
the fuck does that even mean

saltwater hot tubs isn't that a band

This is CP. We measure peens by amount of Air fryers and saltwater hot tubs

J Diddy
12-15-2023, 07:08 AM
This is CP. We measure peens by amount of Air fryers and saltwater hot tubs

2 air fryers but sadly no saltwater hot tub here.

Always coming in an inch short.

Katipan
12-15-2023, 07:15 AM
No lie, the 2 air fryers are hot.