PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto How did 2023 treat you?

Rain Man
12-27-2023, 01:36 AM
Which celebrity score best matched your life in 2023?

Poll coming soon if you don't already see it.

scho63
12-27-2023, 02:37 AM
My 2023 Summary:

First Quarter - Jan, Feb, Mar: Skyy Moore
I had great potential but couldn't find my way and kept dropping the ball. Started to look a little deeper into where I was going and what I wanted to do for the rest of the year.

Second Quarter - Apr, May, Jun: Drue Tranquill
My past history of success got me back in the game. Started with a new team and things looked promising.

Third Quarter - July, Aug, Sept: Charles Omenihu
I was on a good team but was traded to a much better team with great potential. Very excited by the new opportunity. I had to sit out for a little bit and get trained and learn a brand new system. Once I got back in, things started well.

Fourth Quarter - Oct, Nov, Dec: Lamaar Jackson
Got a big raise, settled in and had incredible success. Teams MVP. The last quarter was one of the best in my life. Looking forward to 2024 as see bigger and better things. Expecting a Super Bowl.

Spott
12-27-2023, 06:25 AM
Glad it’s over. This has been a terribly shitty year that has gone steadily downhill ever since the Super Bowl. Christmas sucked ass, too. The best thing that has come out of it is I am spending all of my spare time at the gym burning off all this stress and I’m in great shape. Here’s to next year being the beginning of less kicks to the balls.

Munson
12-27-2023, 06:52 AM
I'm somewhere between Mitch McConnell and Joe Flacco.

bdj23
12-27-2023, 07:44 AM
Indifferent so Joe Flacco (who is still elite btw)

Nothing really great happened, nothing super bad happened either. I got a new roof on my house for $80 so that was kind of cool i guess.

Eleazar
12-27-2023, 07:57 AM
I'll score this year a McConnell. Pretty good overall, but didn't finish well.

Hydrae
12-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Had to go with Mitch. It was a pretty decent year for most of it (that I remember!) until I got laid off in October. But somehow Mitch is still employed. :)

Buehler445
12-27-2023, 08:15 AM
I'm probably 2023 on-the-field Travis Kelce. Working my ass off, feel like I'm getting the shit kicked out of me all year long, but ultimately ended up with a season most guys would be happy with.

Picked 5.

Rainbarrel
12-27-2023, 08:21 AM
Santos, King Charles and McConnell are all parasites to me. Swift, Kelce, Friends cast, Flacco, Ivy league can live off past success. I'm just depressed now

TLO
12-27-2023, 08:26 AM
Pretty damn good.

ThaVirus
12-27-2023, 09:13 AM
I suppose I’d settle on a 7, which is probably where I’d be most years. And I’m fine with that.

Personally, I had my first child, which has been really fun and fulfilling. My relationships with my SO, family and friends are all relatively strong. My health and fitness remains really good/great. Haven’t had any major deaths near me.

Oh, and the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. That’s pretty cool.

Well, I have been feeling a bit lonely lately, I guess, though I think that’s just a natural side effect of aging. Still, I find myself reminiscing on my younger days when I was always hanging with friends, meeting new people, etc. quite a bit more than years past.

Financially, it was sort of a rough year. I’m in a sales position and it was tough sledding in 2023 when compared to 2022. I’m a bit disillusioned with my current position/management and that has definitely taken a toll. Combine that with the current housing market being generally unaffordable and that is definitely some cause for concern.

It could be far worse, though. Bills are all still paid on time and I’ve been able to save a good bit of money despite the new family addition. Just waiting on the right time to strike.

All in all, life is pretty good.

WilliamTheIrish
12-27-2023, 09:21 AM
Not sure how to categorize this year.

I’m just …. happy. My brothers and sisters are all well. My children are doing well. My grandkids are beautiful.

Can a person ask for more? Does a person (me) need more than that?

BigBeauford
12-27-2023, 09:22 AM
9 here. Crushed over 100 Peloton rides, weighing the same as my wedding day, only debt is my mortgage, still having plenty of sex, daughter is the top scorer on her GABL team, kids are doing well in school.

Only thing keeping this from being a 10, is that it's all just too easy. We are definitely on cruise control and lacking anything of challenge or struggle in life, and for me that was a really important element post military life: climbing the career and education ladder. We've both hit our goals of work life balance and earnings, and I could see it getting stale.

kc rush
12-27-2023, 09:32 AM
Better than 2022, but not great. No deaths this time around.

My sister's cancer returned, but they caught it early and were able to treat it.

My parents are nearing 80, so there is always some nagging health issue. I've had to spend more time at their place helping out than any time in the recent past.

Economy has affected my job. Took a pay cut for a stretch of the year, but avoided getting caught up in the layoff last spring. Things are moving along tenuously.

My oldest has been dealing with some mental health struggles, but we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

I've been dealing with some illnesses for the last couple months. Nothing bad, just irritating and somewhat draining. I'd have thought that a couple rounds of antibiotics and steroids would have knocked it out, but it is still nagging me.

Not all is bad though, my wife got a promotion and nice raise. My youngest has had a couple of big achievements and is figuring out his path to college. The Chiefs won the Super Bowl. The Royals look like they will field a competent team this year (at least better than bad).

Cheers to everyone here. Hoping for a good 2024 for all.

smithandrew051
12-27-2023, 09:46 AM
2023 was a dry hand job

TinyEvel
12-27-2023, 09:48 AM
Overall I’d give it a Meh.

Career was slower than expected with a bunch of clients cancelling jobs in Q4.

Hilights of my year were a 4-day camping trip with old buddies and a 7-day 520 mile bike ride for charity. Oh, also my oldest graduated college.

We didn’t take any trips because we had to put a new roof on the house and have crawlspace work and a termite tent done. But those are gold-plated problems. It means I own a home and can have repairs done. More than most have.

Stayed sober another year so that and being with friends and family is what’s important. Gonna take that perspective into 2024 and remind myself daily to be in gratitude no matter what and that’s the best thing you can have.

Rain Man
12-27-2023, 03:31 PM
I'm giving myself a 9. I had a few challenges, but my gut feel was that it was a very good year.

Starting at the top with the wins...

1. My wife has made a successful transition to retirement. She likes to keep busy so there was a non-zero risk that she would be unhappy. But she's found productive ways to channel her energy and is very happy. Happy wife, happy life.

2. We transitioned out of company ownership. It was a great ride for 20+ years and one of the best decisions I ever made, but it was time to divest and lower everyday stresses. We ended up giving the company to our senior employees and feel good about the exit as the company will keep going strong under them.

3. I was able to cut my hours last year to 65 percent time, which gave me sporadic free time, and am cutting further this year to 45 percent, which will give me consistent free time. (Four-day weekends most of the year!) My remaining work is actually really interesting, too.

4. In terms of finances, this is likely the best year I ever had. My total net worth rocketed up this year to an all-time high. About half of my gains were making up for the abysmal 2022, but the other half was all profit. It's really helping to position me for retirement.

5. This will sound minor, but it's not. I went to the library and checked out some leisure books. The back story here is that I loved going to the library as a kid and I was an avid reader. When I was 12, I had to go to work for financial reasons, and from that point on I didn't get summers or holidays. All through junior high, high school, and college, I worked on any school breaks, and then I entered the working world and we know what that's like. So I always felt like I lost several years of my youth. I decided that I would fully reclaim my lesiure time and those lost years once I made it to the library and wandered the stacks like I did in childhood.

6. My nose surgery is still healing, but at the moment it feels like a big win. I had no idea how bad my breathing had become, and even though I'm not yet 100 percent, I think it's going to have a notable positive impact and become a big win in the long term.

7. I didn't do much travel this year, but I got a nice road trip to California, which was fun, and I did a major trip to Europe in December of last year so I still had that glow. My wife and I are planning to use our free time this year for a lot of local tourism and puttering around Colorado.

8. It doesn't directly affect my life, but Chiefs Super Bowl wins are always nice.

My losses this year are ...

1. I've really fallen out of shape, and I've lost my mental and physical ability to do long runs. It's a bummer. I also gained 5 pounds this year, and I'm in the bad part of a vicious cycle where I'm too out of shape to enjoy exercise, which puts me in worse shape. I want to reverse this trend in 2024, but to some extent I think it's also natural aging.

2. My big negative is my origin family, which is just a constant bombardment of negativity that has amped up over the last couple of years. I wish they would make the changes they need to make to be happy, but that's never going to happen, I guess.

WilliamTheIrish
12-27-2023, 10:40 PM
5. This will sound minor, but it's not. I went to the library and checked out some leisure books. The back story here is that I loved going to the library as a kid and I was an avid reader. When I was 12, I had to go to work for financial reasons, and from that point on I didn't get summers or holidays. All through junior high, high school, and cottage, I worked on any school breaks, and then I entered the working world and we know what that's like. So I always felt like I lost several years of my youth. I decided that I would fully reclaim my lesiure time and those lost years once I made it to the library and wandered the stacks like I did in childhood.

My reasons are slightly different, but two years ago I went into the local library and did something very similar. My reason? Lack of concentration, which I felt was a direct result of my cell phone. Prior to owning my first phone, I was an avid reader. My ability to move through a book and retain the concepts and context was first rate.

In the years after cell phones became a thing, I stopped reading altogether. Then in the last 5 years or so, when I DID actually pick up a book, I couldn’t read for more than 15 minutes or so before I became distracted.

So two years ago, I put the phone aside for days at a time and found myself again immersed and able to concentrate while reading. I find myself much more centered now and I’m certain it contributes to my overall positivity. My level of concentration is as good as ever too.

Enjoy it, (again) Kev.

BWillie
12-27-2023, 10:43 PM
9 here. Crushed over 100 Peloton rides, weighing the same as my wedding day, only debt is my mortgage, still having plenty of sex, daughter is the top scorer on her GABL team, kids are doing well in school.

Only thing keeping this from being a 10, is that it's all just too easy. We are definitely on cruise control and lacking anything of challenge or struggle in life, and for me that was a really important element post military life: climbing the career and education ladder. We've both hit our goals of work life balance and earnings, and I could see it getting stale.

Off topic, but would love to know your thoughts on a Peloton. I think a lazy fuck like me this might get me to work out if it's in the other room. I don't really need the social motivation, but the virtual rides and stuff sound cool.

Passepartout
12-27-2023, 10:43 PM
Really good as try to even make the bad days into good ones. Hopefully 2024 will be another great year.

Pepe Silvia
12-27-2023, 10:44 PM
Horrible fucking year.

Rain Man
12-27-2023, 10:50 PM
My reasons are slightly different, but two years ago I went into the local library and did something very similar. My reason? Lack of concentration, which I felt was a direct result of my cell phone. Prior to owning my first phone, I was an avid reader. My ability to move through a book and retain the concepts and context was first rate.

In the years after cell phones became a thing, I stopped reading altogether. Then in the last 5 years or so, when I DID actually pick up a book, I couldn’t read for more than 15 minutes or so before I became distracted.

So two years ago, I put the phone aside for days at a time and found myself again immersed and able to concentrate while reading. I find myself much more centered now and I’m certain it contributes to my overall positivity. My level of concentration is as good as ever too.

Enjoy it, (again) Kev.

I've had very similar challenges, though I think for different reasons. I spent so much time reading at my job, which was very slow and careful reviewing and editing for the most part, that I completely lost my reading speed and my interest in pleasure reading outside of work. Fortunately, I think it's coming back pretty quickly, but I was feeling very uncultured and illiterate for a long while.

BWillie
12-27-2023, 10:53 PM
Horrible fucking year.

Sorry to hear it bud. At least you have an awesome avatar. Hope 2024 is the best yet for you.

ThyKingdomCome15
12-27-2023, 11:07 PM
Thought that said George Soros at first.

hometeam
12-27-2023, 11:13 PM
I absolutely killed it last year.

This year, meh, im livin pretty good compared to many but certainly didnt ball out like last year.

BryanBusby
12-27-2023, 11:37 PM
It was fine.

Being in the hospital early in the year sucked, but it picked up from there.

Finally did a family trip.
Made good money.
Second daughter was born.
Billay bleached his asshole for me.
Got to watch Mizzou have a season I never would have predicted.

Can't complain.

cdcox
12-28-2023, 12:43 AM
I've had very similar challenges, though I think for different reasons. I spent so much time reading at my job, which was very slow and careful reviewing and editing for the most part, that I completely lost my reading speed and my interest in pleasure reading outside of work. Fortunately, I think it's coming back pretty quickly, but I was feeling very uncultured and illiterate for a long while.

I picked up audiobooks two years ago. Not sure I’d do as well with print books, but audiobooks on the daily commute and on long drives have been a notable improvement in my life.

Bearcat
12-28-2023, 07:24 AM
I've had to take down monthly ratings the past couple years, and at times damn well could have been weekly, because they were roller coaster rides of highs and lows... family issues and drama, financial shit, more family issues. It was a ~2 year exercise in compartmentalizing, to let go of the stress of the bad in order to enjoy the good.

This year was far better overall, in the realm of Taylor Swift, comparatively... a much needed job change, some travel, family that's doing far better.

Far fewer irons in the (dumpster) fire, plus at a good point career-wise to have more time dedicated to friends and family.

(relevant Office gif)

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="25065048" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="1.77778" data-width="60%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/andy-bernard-the-office-ending-good-old-days-gif-25065048">Andy Bernard The Office GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/andy+bernard-gifs">Andy Bernard GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Pinchshot
12-28-2023, 08:02 AM
As bad as 2023 was, I'm scared for 2024.

lewdog
12-28-2023, 08:35 AM
8 for me.

Wish it was 69 though.

Stewie
12-28-2023, 02:57 PM
It was an 8 for me.

Retired now, so did a lot around the house. Some projects still in the works.

Had cataract surgery in September. That's a Godsend. My vision was failing fast due to the type of cataracts I had. Another year and I wouldn't have passed the eye exam at the DMV. Now I'm 20/20. Forty years ago I would have been screwed since surgery didn't exist.

Nice Thanksgiving with family in the Rocky Mountains. First time doing that and will definitely do it again.

Hoping for another 8 or 9 in 2024

duncan_idaho
12-28-2023, 06:41 PM
I'm looking forward to closing the chapter on 2023.

My dad died. My wife broke her leg and couldn't walk for 16 weeks and couldn't drive for 6 more after that. My mom is an insane, delusional, toxic mess, and if I don't deal with her, family I care for deeply has to (grandma, uncle and aunt, sister). My parents had just moved when dad died, and I spent an exhausting month this summer going down to basically fill dumpsters with stuff they've hoarded (poorly) since the 80s, making it trash I have to pay to get rid of.

Looking forward to 2024.

There were some good bits in there, too, though. Mrs. Idaho and the spuds are awesome. Wife and I went on an awesome trip in August. Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

I gave it a zero, overall, because the lows were about as low as it could get.

notorious
12-28-2023, 07:23 PM
As bad as 2023 was, I'm scared for 2024.

Just remember the dumpster fire 2020 and 21 was and it will be hard to complain.

scho63
12-28-2023, 07:37 PM
8 for me.

Wish it was 69 though.

Lets be honest. You're still trying to master missionary.

Leave the more complex stuff for us more experienced fellows. ROFL

Buehler445
12-29-2023, 12:03 AM

My dad died. My wife broke her leg and couldn't walk for 16 weeks and couldn't drive for 6 more after that. My mom is an insane, delusional, toxic mess, and if I don't deal with her, family I care for deeply has to (grandma, uncle and aunt, sister). My parents had just moved when dad died, and I spent an exhausting month this summer going down to basically fill dumpsters with stuff they've hoarded (poorly) since the 80s, making it trash I have to pay to get rid of.

Looking forward to 2024.

There were some good bits in there, too, though. Mrs. Idaho and the spuds are awesome. Wife and I went on an awesome trip in August. Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

Sorry for your troubles my man. Things will look up.

My parents moved to town in 2014, and I helped clean out what I thought was a cramped house and made it into what seemed like an enormous cavernous domicile.

I had 3 burn barrels blazing for 3 days straight, and they still moved entirely too much shit to their house in town.

I feel your pain. :D

duncan_idaho
12-29-2023, 10:00 AM
Sorry for your troubles my man. Things will look up.

My parents moved to town in 2014, and I helped clean out what I thought was a cramped house and made it into what seemed like an enormous cavernous domicile.

I had 3 burn barrels blazing for 3 days straight, and they still moved entirely too much shit to their house in town.

I feel your pain. :D

There’s more to go.

We’ve got the:
2-car garage/woodworking shop that’s 1/2 full with old computer and electronic stuff and other more ancient trash

Old tractor/work truck garage (4-car) that’s 1/2 full of thankfully random non-electronic trash

Old grain bin (20-ft diameter) that’s full of old computer and electronic stuff

And the coup de grace… the machine shop, which is large enough to store the big Allis Chalmers tractor AND the combine, and still be only 2/3 full…

Which you can’t even pull a car into right now because it’s filled with old computer/electronic stuff and as many file cabinets as a person could ever want.

Sacrifice a goat for m, eh?

smithandrew051
12-29-2023, 10:24 AM

Looking forward to 2024.

Sorry to hear all that man.

That bolded section might seem minor, but that’s a huge pain in the ass. Until you go through that, I don’t think most people realize how time consuming it is. I’ve helped with something similar and it fucking sucked. It seems like it’s never going to end.

Titty Meat
12-29-2023, 10:25 AM
Pretty dope. I know New Years resolutions are lame but I made one to hit the gym with consistency and I did that. The Chiefs won the super bowl, Went to the Parade, The Draft, Went to the NCAA Sweet 16, Saw some great UFC fights in person, Lost my job but got a new one now I'm making more money than I ever have, Had some good times with friends, Health is good, Family is good.

BigBeauford
12-29-2023, 10:39 AM
Off topic, but would love to know your thoughts on a Peloton. I think a lazy fuck like me this might get me to work out if it's in the other room. I don't really need the social motivation, but the virtual rides and stuff sound cool.

When you get to a certain age, I think you become familiar with what works and what doesn't. I knew buying an expensive piece of cardio equipment that relied on me to self motivate and design workouts would fail.

What's great about the Peloton is the live leader boards for both live and recorded workouts. I've never done a live workout, but any recently recorded ride will have at least 100 riders with you if not more, and I find that motivational to try and beat people that started around when you did.

There's seemingly dozens of instructors. I've found a couple I really jive with, and you know what kind of soundtrack each ride will be before you start. I can easily burn 550 cals in 30 minutes, and I've hit 700 cals burned in 45 mins. I've got almost a 20 week streak of hitting 2 workouts weekly, usually doing 3 which is unheard of for me and cardio (I fucking hate cardio, especially running).

The last point is that I've never felt close to being injured at all this last year, which isn't something I could say for any of my running routines. If you can afford the $45 monthly charge, I really can't say enough good things.

BlackHelicopters
12-29-2023, 01:40 PM
Like a hot poker to the anus.

Buehler445
12-29-2023, 02:01 PM
There’s more to go.

We’ve got the:
2-car garage/woodworking shop that’s 1/2 full with old computer and electronic stuff and other more ancient trash

Old tractor/work truck garage (4-car) that’s 1/2 full of thankfully random non-electronic trash

Old grain bin (20-ft diameter) that’s full of old computer and electronic stuff

And the coup de grace… the machine shop, which is large enough to store the big Allis Chalmers tractor AND the combine, and still be only 2/3 full…

Which you can’t even pull a car into right now because it’s filled with old computer/electronic stuff and as many file cabinets as a person could ever want.

Sacrifice a goat for m, eh?

Heh. If I run across a goat, that thing is as good as dead...:D

It's remarkable isn't it? Dad told me when I was in high school at prime slave labor age that it was different for grandpa. He grew up in the depression with nothing and had to build anything if he was going to have it so he kept junk around. Plus he was basically running a really huge garden and dad was trying to run a business yada yada yada.

Fast forward.

I'm trying to lean up the farm substantially and keep workspaces clean and all the proper things I should be doing. So the conversation goes like this:

"Dad we haven't used that in a decade. Time to go?"

"Well, If you ever needed to ...."

"Whatever"

If you ever needed to is my least favorite thing he says. LOL

I just hope I don't do the same thing to my family.

MMXcalibur
12-29-2023, 02:26 PM
Chiefs won the Super Bowl.
Retired 20 years Active Duty Air Force.
Moved to Denver.
Bought an awesome house on the outskirts of town with a great view.
Built a back patio for said view.
Nailed a great paying remote-only job.
Won Employee of the Quarter first time.
Was given a $10K bonus early for great work.
Ruled to be 100% disabled thru the VA.
Chiefs still making the playoffs for another (albeit ill-looking) Lombardi run.

Sad to see 2023 go!

Rain Man
12-29-2023, 03:10 PM
Heh. If I run across a goat, that thing is as good as dead...:D

It's remarkable isn't it? Dad told me when I was in high school at prime slave labor age that it was different for grandpa. He grew up in the depression with nothing and had to build anything if he was going to have it so he kept junk around. Plus he was basically running a really huge garden and dad was trying to run a business yada yada yada.

Fast forward.

I'm trying to lean up the farm substantially and keep workspaces clean and all the proper things I should be doing. So the conversation goes like this:

"Dad we haven't used that in a decade. Time to go?"

"Well, If you ever needed to ...."

"Whatever"

If you ever needed to is my least favorite thing he says. LOL

I just hope I don't do the same thing to my family.

As the child of hoarders, I'm determined to not leave a mess behind. The only challenge is that I don't have an expiration date stamped on me. I've tried to be organized with things like having a will (which my parents refuse to do), but over 60 years I've acquired enough stuff to suitably furnish a relatively large and non-cluttered home. Even without clutter, there's a lot of stuff.

Now, the other issue is that I don't have kids, and my nearest living relative is 500 miles away. I've never lived within 500 miles of a younger relative, so none of them really even know us. So at some point when an escaped zoo chimpanzee rips us limb from limb, they won't really want to come out west to go through our stuff.

I've been reading a few things recently about how to handle this. There's definitely a downsizing that should happen as we age, and that's actually hard to think about. Logically, my inventory probably should get 3 percent smaller every year, but unless I downsize my living space that's just going to mean empty rooms, which isn't good for me while I'm alive. And it doesn't make sense to downsize into a smaller home over time, because I've run the numbers on that. I should stay in my current house until my wheels fall off, and at that point the downsizing will be challenging if I'm no longer healthy and energetic.

It seems like there's not a great answer to this problem, which is why it gets kicked down to the kids so often. And I don't have kids.

I've joked in the past that when I get old I'll adopt a woman from some third world country to take care of us, and then get the house when we die. But you know, for someone in my position, that may not be a joke. I read about that billionaire who adopted his gardener recently to give him an inheritance because the gardener looked after him, and in a world with more and more childless seniors, that actually could be a model that works.

seclark
12-29-2023, 04:18 PM

I’ve loved to read my whole life. As a kid, teenager and all my adult life. I always go to bed early and read until I fall asleep.
It’s one thing that I think that’s kept my brain going since I had the radiation remove the tumors in my brain. Constant reading. I don’t remember a lot of it, but it keeps my melon working as good as it can.
I go to the library every two weeks. And everyone gives me books to read. Some of them I just shitcan, but you never know what you might find interesting. And again, I’m gonna forget it anyway.
sec

Buehler445
12-29-2023, 04:29 PM
As the child of hoarders, I'm determined to not leave a mess behind. The only challenge is that I don't have an expiration date stamped on me. I've tried to be organized with things like having a will (which my parents refuse to do), but over 60 years I've acquired enough stuff to suitably furnish a relatively large and non-cluttered home. Even without clutter, there's a lot of stuff.

Now, the other issue is that I don't have kids, and my nearest living relative is 500 miles away. I've never lived within 500 miles of a younger relative, so none of them really even know us. So at some point when an escaped zoo chimpanzee rips us limb from limb, they won't really want to come out west to go through our stuff.

I've been reading a few things recently about how to handle this. There's definitely a downsizing that should happen as we age, and that's actually hard to think about. Logically, my inventory probably should get 3 percent smaller every year, but unless I downsize my living space that's just going to mean empty rooms, which isn't good for me while I'm alive. And it doesn't make sense to downsize into a smaller home over time, because I've run the numbers on that. I should stay in my current house until my wheels fall off, and at that point the downsizing will be challenging if I'm no longer healthy and energetic.

It seems like there's not a great answer to this problem, which is why it gets kicked down to the kids so often. And I don't have kids.

I've joked in the past that when I get old I'll adopt a woman from some third world country to take care of us, and then get the house when we die. But you know, for someone in my position, that may not be a joke. I read about that billionaire who adopted his gardener recently to give him an inheritance because the gardener looked after him, and in a world with more and more childless seniors, that actually could be a model that works.

LOL It's not practicable to die with nothing.

The fact of the matter is that unless it's trash, most estate auction outfits will go through your shit.

Get your finances in line. Any heirloom shit you have, get it to the appropriate family members, then keep enough cash for your heirs to hire an auction company to have an estate sale. You can do some legwork and contact some outfits and things.

The hardest part is:
1. Finances - especially if nobody is on any of the accounts. Also probate sucks 13 kinds of ass.

2. Trash.

The rest is fairly easy. Especially if probate is avoided and nobody wants anything.

BWillie
12-29-2023, 04:52 PM

It would kind of be nice to know when you are gonna go so you know how much more money you need to make.

Katipan
12-29-2023, 06:52 PM

I'm Filipino and an excellent source of comfort.

Rain Man
12-29-2023, 07:43 PM
I picked up audiobooks two years ago. Not sure I’d do as well with print books, but audiobooks on the daily commute and on long drives have been a notable improvement in my life.

I’ve loved to read my whole life. As a kid, teenager and all my adult life. I always go to bed early and read until I fall asleep.
It’s one thing that I think that’s kept my brain going since I had the radiation remove the tumors in my brain. Constant reading. I don’t remember a lot of it, but it keeps my melon working as good as it can.
I go to the library every two weeks. And everyone gives me books to read. Some of them I just shitcan, but you never know what you might find interesting. And again, I’m gonna forget it anyway.
sec

It's really nice. I think I've also felt guilty about reading for a long time because I felt that I should always be producing stuff. It's nice to open up the pipeline again to gain vocabulary and imagination and knowledge.

New World Order
12-29-2023, 07:50 PM
Stockton Rush had a better 2023 than me

Rain Man
12-29-2023, 07:51 PM
LOL It's not practicable to die with nothing.

The fact of the matter is that unless it's trash, most estate auction outfits will go through your shit.

Get your finances in line. Any heirloom shit you have, get it to the appropriate family members, then keep enough cash for your heirs to hire an auction company to have an estate sale. You can do some legwork and contact some outfits and things.

The hardest part is:
1. Finances - especially if nobody is on any of the accounts. Also probate sucks 13 kinds of ass.

2. Trash.

The rest is fairly easy. Especially if probate is avoided and nobody wants anything.

I have no idea how it would go down. I suspect that it would all go in an estate auction and I'll fly in from my new life as a dragonfly and be horrified at the low prices for my great stuff.

My father in law pretty much nailed it in his later life, though. He downsized from a house to an apartment to independent living to assisted living to memory care, and at each step he divested himself of stuff. At the end he basically had a TV and a chair and some clothes, and that was all he needed. He had signed over all of his finances to his kids, who paid his bills, so when he passed away it took about a day to deal with all of the stuff other than the things like taxes and death certificates. He was the type of guy who ran a tight ship, and I mean that in a positive way.

It would kind of be nice to know when you are gonna go so you know how much more money you need to make.

I know, right?

I guess I could assign myself a date, but that's something where you really don't want to undershoot, and overshooting makes it irrelevant.

I'm Filipino and an excellent source of comfort.

Hmm. I'll definitely let you know when I start accepting applications. Can you carry me up a flight of stairs if necessary?

Katipan
12-29-2023, 08:03 PM
Hmm. I'll definitely let you know when I start accepting applications. Can you carry me up a flight of stairs if necessary?

Without a doubt. I'd be happy to provide recent references and/or carry you up some stairs as a try out.

Zebedee DuBois
12-29-2023, 08:04 PM
I guess I'm an optimist. I would like to say I've had a 10-Taylor Swift year, because I'm pretty content with my existence. I worked for Fortune 500 (really 250) companies for 38 years and had excellent benefits. Thusly, I saved well, invested fairly well, and have more money than I expect to spend, given the lifestyle I've grown comfortable with. I don't know if I qualify as a philanthropist, but I donate pretty freely, and expect to do even more in the future, and still leave quite a bit for my kids 25-30 years down the line.

I could take a more pessimistic view. My wife has stage 4 cancer and she tells me she only expects to live 5 or 6 more years. We've lived 40 years in an older 2 story house that is 3 hours from the closest child. I think we should probably move to a one level house, but the wife doesn't want to move. And if her time frame is right, there is no reason she should have to move from the home she (we) loves. My health is not excellent, but good. All these health things keep us from extensively traveling - though we do get some trips in. Went to Iceland this year before it started shaking apart. Saw some northern lights.

But even with the challenges, we've been blessed. Life is good. We get along with all our family, immediate and extended. We have community we enjoy being with.

How can that be anything less than a 10?

Zebedee DuBois
12-29-2023, 08:11 PM
Without a doubt. I'd be happy to provide recent references and/or carry you up some stairs as a try out.

I would have Mr. Rainman pegged for a guy who would have one of those chairs that go up the stairs. Don't get a back injury because he's too chintzy for chair lift.

InChiefsHeaven
12-29-2023, 09:48 PM
It was a weird year to be sure. Had a couple of injuries, (old man working out stuff) and a surgery to fix hammer toes. Ended up gaining like 15 pounds. That sucked.

At work, my organization was taken over by a bigger one, which in turn handed us ( I.T.) over to another organization. Lots of stuff changed and it's caused me busy work that I'm not used to. BUT...it may end up being a boon. Time will tell.

Wife and I got the raised bed garden installed and had a helluva crop this year.

I had to buy a truck 2 years earlier than I wanted to (my old vehicle going tits up before its time), but it's the first vehicle I've owned that I actually friggin' LOVE. (2020 Ford Ranger Lariat edition).

I'd say it's been a 7-8 kind of year for me. But 2024 looks right now to be a get back on track kind of year.

J Diddy
12-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last year I didn't know that i was going to last til this year. The new pacemaker not only increased my heart ejection rate but improved everything. I quit drinking, exercise daily and lost about 50 pounds.

This year has been an 11.

BWillie
12-29-2023, 11:01 PM
Still making $125-$150 an hour working 15 hours a week. Can't complain.

Smed1065
12-30-2023, 03:38 AM
This year? Dad died on Christmas last year is why I ask. Exactly and 1 reason I showed back up. It takes much guts even as a drunk to step up and watch mom die from cancer that you thought you could always save but too dumb to realize and then NM. I will call it rough.

493rd
12-30-2023, 08:23 AM
Well, I got rammed in my ass a bunch, did tons of blow, fucked beautiful women, and bought a Porsche so it went kinda good.

Pablo
12-30-2023, 09:56 AM
Well, I got rammed in my ass a bunch, did tons of blow, fucked beautiful women, and bought a Porsche so it went kinda good.

Told one truth and three lies!

seclark
12-30-2023, 01:31 PM
It was a weird year to be sure. Had a couple of injuries, (old man working out stuff) and a surgery to fix hammer toes. Ended up gaining like 15 pounds. That sucked.

At work, my organization was taken over by a bigger one, which in turn handed us ( I.T.) over to another organization. Lots of stuff changed and it's caused me busy work that I'm not used to. BUT...it may end up being a boon. Time will tell.

Wife and I got the raised bed garden installed and had a helluva crop this year.

I had to buy a truck 2 years earlier than I wanted to (my old vehicle going tits up before its time), but it's the first vehicle I've owned that I actually friggin' LOVE. (2020 Ford Ranger Lariat edition).

I'd say it's been a 7-8 kind of year for me. But 2024 looks right now to be a get back on track kind of year.

I’ve had relatives with hammer toes. Definitely sucks.
Hope you’re better.
sec

493rd
12-30-2023, 02:48 PM
Told one truth and three lies!

Well played bro

BWillie
12-30-2023, 10:36 PM

How do you pronounce Porsche?

stevieray
01-01-2024, 08:32 AM
Lost & buried my good friend Joe Tracy.

Hope this year is better for those who had a rough year.

Thankful for all blessings.

Happy New Year!