PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Early Years Tournament: Round 3, Heat 6. Sweet Sixteen.

Rain Man
01-15-2024, 04:41 PM
2018 - Week 14 - W 27-24 over BAL
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201812090kan.htm
Chiefs 10-2 / Ravens 7-5

At 4:40 of the highlights, check out the great Tyreek non-scoring play. Speed kills. And speaking of Tyreek, this game is most notable due to a 4th and 9 play with 1:20 left in the game, down 7, do or die, and you know the rest. One of the greatest regular season plays in Chiefs history took place. Damien Williams scored with 53 seconds left to tie it up, and then Justin Houston made a great strip sack and recovery with a few seconds left ... but we missed the field goal as time expired! We pushed the ball downfield on a long overtime drive, with Eric Fisher making a key fumble recovery on a fluke Mahomes fumble (13:10 of the highlights), and Butker atoned for 2 missed field goals by kicking one to take the lead. The defense then made a dramatic stand on the other team's last-gasp drive with a sack by Houston and Ford that put Lamar Jackson out of the game and a couple of great pass breakups by Orlando Scandrick and Kendall Fuller. In the end, the defense held Jackson to only 147 passing yards while Mahomes went for 377. The leading yardage guys were Tyreek (145) and Spencer Ware (129).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_nCuFICMfMw?si=QGDeCeetkAEJt83z&amp;start=20" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2018 - Week 1 - W 38-28 over LAC
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809090sdg.htm
Chiefs 0-0 / Chargers 0-0

It's not The Debut, but it's the Starter Debut. We had the Tyreek show as he produced three touchdowns and 268 all-purpose yards to take the pressure off of a new starting quarterback. This game also saw the famous "Sausage Bomb", indicating that the new quarterback was pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J1MEs_R0yJA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TLO
01-15-2024, 04:44 PM
I voted for the wrong game. :(

smithandrew051
01-15-2024, 04:44 PM
Baltimore easily. One of my favorites

ThaVirus
01-15-2024, 04:45 PM
Chargers game was the coming out party for Mahomes.

IIRC, Tyreek housed a simple slant or punt return within the first few minutes of the game. I was searching for a stream and remember following on ESPN and seeing that we were already up.

Rain Man
01-15-2024, 04:46 PM
Tough choice here. The Ravens game was a heavyweight fight marked by one of the most magical Mahomes moments in regular season history. But the Chargers game was the moment that we discovered alien quarterback life on earth.

I remember watching the Chargers game with wide eyes as that emerging rookie quarterback torched the Chargers. But I also remember being in a sports bar, the only Chiefs fan in the place, and having the nearby tables look over as I uttered a loud and spontaneous shriek of joy on the 4th down play.

This is like choosing between my children. It's really hard to pick. I might go with the Ravens game just because I was confident that Mahomes was real at that point, and I wasn't seeing a fluke. But I still loved the Chargers game.

Rain Man
01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Chargers game was the coming out party for Mahomes.

IIRC, Tyreek housed a simple slant or punt return within the first few minutes of the game. I was searching for a stream and remember following on ESPN and seeing that we were already up.

I think that was a punt return. I was at some clueless and nearly empty sports bar and they were leaving all of the TVs on the post-game stuff from the early games. I asked them twice to turn at least one TV to the Chiefs game that had already started, and they responded, "Oh, yeah, we'll do that in a minute," while they stood around doing nothing. So I missed the first score of the season and a great Tyreek play.