PDA

View Full Version : Life If you could have one meal cooked for you, what would it be?

TripleThreat
01-24-2024, 09:02 PM
For the game this Sunday, my close family member invited me and my family over for the game and said they will make whatever I want. This guy by the way means it, both he and his wife make some killer dishes whether it be just a cheeseburger, or beef Wellington. Because of this, it got me thinking, what should I have them make with this opportunity. My wife wanted them to make sliders again, but I’m feeling something fancy. Any suggestions?

big nasty kcnut
01-24-2024, 09:04 PM
Carne gusaida taquitos or babacoa taquitos.

Dayze
01-24-2024, 09:05 PM
Carnitas.

Jewish Rabbi
01-24-2024, 09:06 PM
Your best friend’s FG’s pussy

el borracho
01-24-2024, 09:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fAPaqqHs1gM?si=Ipy5nILKDRLggrt2" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smithandrew051
01-24-2024, 09:12 PM
Raven

Demonpenz
01-24-2024, 09:13 PM
Long John silvers chicken planks and fish and more.

Bearcat
01-24-2024, 09:14 PM
I'd ship a box of OK Joe's ZMen to their place and ask them to prepare it.

https://y.yarn.co/e8b5f260-22c3-4907-95b5-1ab41ee316c2_text.gif

Coochie liquor
01-24-2024, 09:16 PM
A meal from my childhood… shit on a shingle. Used to get it a good amount as a kid (probably cuz we were broke) but I loved that. My wife wouldn’t dream of making, or eating that lol.

Pepe Silvia
01-24-2024, 09:18 PM
Cheesesteaks.

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-24-2024, 09:21 PM

in Belize!

Rain Man
01-24-2024, 09:21 PM
You mean other than barbecue beef sandwiches? Because the right answer is always barbecue beef sandwiches.

Rainbarrel
01-24-2024, 09:22 PM
Watching Tater cook is very filling

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-24-2024, 09:22 PM
Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut pizza... perferably from Happy Joes

or really good Chilaquiles

Fish
01-24-2024, 09:26 PM
Ostrich omelet.

Raiderhater
01-24-2024, 09:29 PM

Smells like fish, tastes like chicken.

T-post Tom
01-24-2024, 09:31 PM
Raven

This X eleventybillion!

BWillie
01-24-2024, 09:33 PM
Wagyu ribeye steak, Joes Kansas City Fries, White Russian, Creme Brule

kccrow
01-24-2024, 09:34 PM
Grilled swordfish and veggie kabobs

Megatron96
01-24-2024, 09:37 PM
Shotgun shells? Armadillo eggs?

Maybe triple seared bourbon steak?
https://www.facebook.com/chefcuso/videos/2565015320331993/

scho63
01-24-2024, 09:41 PM
Large charcuterie platter for appetizer

White chicken chili with Hatch chili's

Grilled hearts of Romaine with EVOI and shaved Parmesan

Baked meatloaf using beef and Italian pork sausage with tomato sauce, green peppers, and onions

Grilled wings with olive oil, rosemary, lemon, red chili flakes

Layered vanilla sheet cake with center of strawberries, bananas and whipped cream frosting.

Sangria, rum punch and other alcohol.

Peter Gibbons
01-24-2024, 09:41 PM
Pad See-Ewe.

Titty Meat
01-24-2024, 09:49 PM
I want your gf to sit on my birthday cake

frozenchief
01-24-2024, 09:49 PM
Roast duck breast with slices of seared foie gras with a port wine/duck demi glace reduction
Spinach salad with goat cheese and spiced/candied pecans served with a vinagrette - either balsamic vinegar or bacon (which is fantastic)
Pearl couscous with broiled cherry tomatoes and mint

I'd serve it with a good pinot noir. Domain Drouhin or Argyle from Oregon are really good. Good producer of Clos St Jaques from Burgundy would likewise be good. Champagne/sparkling are always acceptable, too.
If you go with a white, I'd get something with a decent amount of acid to stand up to the richness/fattiness of the duck and foie gras. Probably a German Auslese or a French Alsatian.

However delicious that sounds, and I'm making myself hungry, I admit its not the best football menu. So maybe prime ribeye cooked on a grill and drizzled with butter. Serve with bearnaise and a big cab. That is admittedly a better football menu.

Chiefaholic
01-24-2024, 09:56 PM
Some of the best meals I ever ate, I took for granted. I couldn't tell you how many times we had Sunday dinner at my grandma's house and never realized how great her cooking was. She always cooked like she was feeding twice the number of people there, and everything was homemade. Fried chicken in the old cast iron skillet, corn bread, brown beans, yeast buns (these things were ginormous), fried potatoes and onions, and usually some sort of dessert (my favorite was homemade lemon meringue pie).

If I could find a restaurant that made food that tasted that good, I'de pay a pretty penny.

Bump
01-24-2024, 09:59 PM
chicken nuggies with some honey mussy

threebag
01-24-2024, 10:09 PM

Just a taste

threebag
01-24-2024, 10:12 PM
Opt for a boil… shrimp, sausage, crab and crawfish

TinyEvel
01-24-2024, 10:14 PM
A double cheeseburger with two Monte Cristo sandwiches as the bun.

Stewie
01-24-2024, 10:59 PM
Porterhouse - Medium rare
Garlic mashed potatoes
Asparagus

philfree
01-24-2024, 11:46 PM
I had a big diner tonight so it's hard to say. If I was cooking it though I've been craving a BBQ pizza with pulled pork I smoked, some sausage and bacon cooked up by the wife and some jalapenos.

I'm also overdue for some ham and beans along with some salmon patties and round cut fried potatoes. Toss in some sour kraut if you want.

Fishpicker
01-25-2024, 02:36 AM
Daeji Bulgogi (Korean pork bbq) over white rice. Green beans for the vegetable. A side of clear noodles. More bulgogi for dessert

deegs
01-25-2024, 03:39 AM
Cheeseburger, but instead of a bun a lettuce leaf. Onion, tomato and pickles. Sweet potato fries as a side. I did this one night last week and want to again already. I prefer the taste and crunch of lettuce over a bun, though a bun lightly fried in butter is pretty damn good too

deegs
01-25-2024, 03:40 AM
A meal from my childhood… shit on a shingle. Used to get it a good amount as a kid (probably cuz we were broke) but I loved that. My wife wouldn’t dream of making, or eating that lol.

Hung out with my brother over the weekend and he made us this. It was one of my father’s favorites, also due to his growing up very poor.

LoneWolf
01-25-2024, 04:00 AM
Turducken.

Buehler445
01-25-2024, 04:58 AM
It would depend on the mood a fair bit. Today, it would be brisket and burnt ends from Q 39 and smoked sausage from Jack Stack. I'd probably do blanched field fresh sweet corn, roasted green beans and properly executed french fries. If I'm feeling like an appetizer, candied bacon is probably on the list.

Desert is tough because I like it all. It's hard to beat a good chocolate cheesecake, and that would probably fit best with the meal listed above. But I can be talked into about anyone's specialty. I recently made these Rated R cookies (https://youtu.be/DPMUZAeI7no?si=-y3MSzSBx0x9N5sS), and hell, I could probably go for that.

Other options that I just get tremendous joy out of (I presume that's the objective here). A good fire grilled ribeye, street tacos from this one outfit, and a smothered burrito from the burrito lady in town. Depending on the mood I'm in, especially if I'm ill and feeling like hell, there is little more comforting than a smashburger with grilled onion and roasted pablano and french fries.

I've had some higher end food, and while it was definitely good, and I enjoyed it, I get more joy out of a properly executed simple hearty meal. Also, I can be talked into some stuff if it is a specialty. Like weird stuff like a really fucking good Italian Beef sandwich - shouldn't be on anybody's last meal, but if it's a good one I'm probably down. Same with like a really excellent club sandwich or something. Food can hit in ways that little else can.

Interestingly, there is a series on a YouTube channel called Mythical Kitchen, where the guy prepares an interviewees last meal and then they have an interview while they eat. It's surprisingly good content, and some of the choices dudes make are really interesting. And some of the answers are really profound. If you're going to check it out, the best one I watched was Andrew Rae (https://youtu.be/eKVkQqFeTsQ?si=LaD2F3djwvsCbVDi). The Gordon Ramsey (https://youtu.be/ENhfIeZF_AY?si=Bo5hqSxYwlbklLFq) one was pretty good and so was Jason Kelce. (https://youtu.be/c--KcqojdrU?si=vzPb4q54EyKEIhWY)

Raiderhater
01-25-2024, 05:18 AM
I’m feeling chili cheese dogs are in order for the game this week.

stevieray
01-25-2024, 06:24 AM
BBQ!

Spott
01-25-2024, 07:30 AM
Lamb Vindaloo.

kepp
01-25-2024, 09:59 AM
Roast duck breast with slices of seared foie gras with a port wine/duck demi glace reduction
Spinach salad with goat cheese and spiced/candied pecans served with a vinagrette - either balsamic vinegar or bacon (which is fantastic)
Pearl couscous with broiled cherry tomatoes and mint

I'd serve it with a good pinot noir. Domain Drouhin or Argyle from Oregon are really good. Good producer of Clos St Jaques from Burgundy would likewise be good. Champagne/sparkling are always acceptable, too.
If you go with a white, I'd get something with a decent amount of acid to stand up to the richness/fattiness of the duck and foie gras. Probably a German Auslese or a French Alsatian.

However delicious that sounds, and I'm making myself hungry, I admit its not the best football menu. So maybe prime ribeye cooked on a grill and drizzled with butter. Serve with bearnaise and a big cab. That is admittedly a better football menu.

Now I'm hungry...10am on a Thursday and I want a fancy meal

DJ's left nut
01-25-2024, 10:04 AM
Butter poached lobster tails (6-8 oz; anything bigger isn't sweet enough), a bone-in ribeye, Jalapeno/Cheddar twice-baked taters and Brussel sprouts roasted in bacon grease. Probably a small salad with some house-made ranch (bottled stuff sucks) to break up some of the heaviness of the rest of the meal.

Gimme 3 fingers of Glenfiddich 15 (nothing too fancy, i just really like it) over ice with a splash of water and a 9 oz pour of good Cab to go with a glass of water.

And then I'll need 30 minutes alone with my thoughts in the john the next morning...

bdj23
01-25-2024, 10:11 AM
Lobster stuffed with tacos

TripleThreat
01-25-2024, 10:16 AM
Lobster stuffed with tacos

Always felt lobster to be overrated except this one experience where I had lobster escargot.

So it looks like me and the wife have decided on some sliders they made us a couple months back. As in some of those videos you see, they use the Hawaiian roles and cut those in a block and then add all the toppings and you just pull the sliders apart. They also make a killer home made bruschetta sauce.

After that, we are going to do tacos for dinner and the night game

KCUnited
01-25-2024, 10:17 AM
Tonkotsu ramen

I'm talking the whole 48 hour broth process, handmade noodles, pork belly, soft boilded egg, bamboo shoots, black wood ear mushrooms, umami flavor boost, the whole 9 yards

Go ahead and add on some pork belly buns too

Basically something I have no desire, skill, or proper equipment to make myself

Shiver Me Timbers
01-25-2024, 10:31 AM
Austrian/Hungarian Goulash mit Spaetzle

This is by far my favorite meal. Make it every month or so.
Have had it at Spago in LA, Pepe's restaurant in Vail and a few dozen spots in Austria and Germany. Stuff is even better after it has been in the refrigerator for a day. Highly recommended

Wolfgang Puck recipe-

https://www.ihavenet.com/recipes/Beef-Goulash-With-Spaetzle-Wolfgang-Puck-Recipes.html

DJ's left nut
01-25-2024, 11:20 AM
Always felt lobster to be overrated except this one experience where I had lobster escargot.

So it looks like me and the wife have decided on some sliders they made us a couple months back. As in some of those videos you see, they use the Hawaiian roles and cut those in a block and then add all the toppings and you just pull the sliders apart. They also make a killer home made bruschetta sauce.

After that, we are going to do tacos for dinner and the night game

Try a butter poached tail.

The French Laundry does it and there are ways to steal the technique pretty easily. Beurre Monté is the easiest sauce in the world to make; it's essentially a room temperature butter emulsion. It makes liquified butter instead of melted butter.

You cook the lobster in it and it's fantastic.

Now what I do is sous vide the lobster in the beurre bonté -- about 125 degrees for an hour. I put a little taragon and granulated garlic in there with a little big of oregano. Then after the hour, you quench it in an ice bath to stop the cook.

Let it chill then cook it on a grill until it gets warm on the inside (it's already cooked so just cook it to warmth; 120 is fine). Its tender, it stays juicy, it's extremely flavorful.

I was never a huge lobster fan until I stumbled onto that technique and it's just fantastic. Best lobster you'll ever have.

Gary Cooper
01-25-2024, 11:28 AM
Borscht

HonestChieffan
01-25-2024, 11:31 AM
Octopus, Portugese Pork sandwiches, raw oysters from the May River

Megatron96
01-25-2024, 11:41 AM
Try a butter poached tail.

The French Laundry does it and there are ways to steal the technique pretty easily. Beurre Monté is the easiest sauce in the world to make; it's essentially a room temperature butter emulsion. It makes liquified butter instead of melted butter.

You cook the lobster in it and it's fantastic.

Now what I do is sous vide the lobster in the beurre bonté -- about 125 degrees for an hour. I put a little taragon and granulated garlic in there with a little big of oregano. Then after the hour, you quench it in an ice bath to stop the cook.

Let it chill then cook it on a grill until it gets warm on the inside (it's already cooked so just cook it to warmth; 120 is fine). Its tender, it stays juicy, it's extremely flavorful.

I was never a huge lobster fan until I stumbled onto that technique and it's just fantastic. Best lobster you'll ever have.

Sounds awesome. Will try the next time I get some tails. Thx.:thumb:

Pepe Silvia
01-25-2024, 11:44 AM
I would love for someone to make me Gyros right now.

DJ's left nut
01-25-2024, 11:50 AM
I would love for someone to make me Gyros right now.

oooohhhhhh

Excellent choice.

Best meal of my life was in Vegas. We were drunk, as one is in Vegas, and decided to wander out to the Vegas sign and back. So we did. By the time we get back it's 3-4 in the morning (we didn't even start that direction until after they closed the irish bar we were at; probably around 2a) and we're walking around...somewhere. And then suddenly there's a damn Gyro stand.

So yeah, we're getting 4am Gyro's from a random stand in Vegas. It was amazing. Coke from a cooler of ice to wash it down. Drunk me eventually found the hotel when the sun came up and fell asleep happy.

Next morning we go out to the same area and the Magic Gyro Stand was nowhere to be found.

I think it was ephemeral; spiritual even. A ghost gyro stand that appears at random in Vegas to sate the drunken appetites of lost bachelor parties.

Damn I do love a good Gyro. And I can't make one as well as the pros can (not the case with steak and lobster).

Shit, I may have to change my vote. It wouldn't be my gas chamber meal or anything, but to just have someone show up with one that I had nothing to do with making, it's hard to go wrong there.

Pepe Silvia
01-25-2024, 12:01 PM
oooohhhhhh

Excellent choice.

Best meal of my life was in Vegas. We were drunk, as one is in Vegas, and decided to wander out to the Vegas sign and back. So we did. By the time we get back it's 3-4 in the morning (we didn't even start that direction until after they closed the irish bar we were at; probably around 2a) and we're walking around...somewhere. And then suddenly there's a damn Gyro stand.

So yeah, we're getting 4am Gyro's from a random stand in Vegas. It was amazing. Coke from a cooler of ice to wash it down. Drunk me eventually found the hotel when the sun came up and fell asleep happy.

Next morning we go out to the same area and the Magic Gyro Stand was nowhere to be found.

I think it was ephemeral; spiritual even. A ghost gyro stand that appears at random in Vegas to sate the drunken appetites of lost bachelor parties.

Damn I do love a good Gyro. And I can't make one as well as the pros can (not the case with steak and lobster).

Shit, I may have to change my vote. It wouldn't be my gas chamber meal or anything, but to just have someone show up with one that I had nothing to do with making, it's hard to go wrong there.

Anywhere I get one I have always gotten an extra cup of tzatsiki sauce, absolutely love the stuff. The combination of the Lamb/Beef, Pita Bread and sauce is just chefs kiss.

I used to visit my sister in Santa Monica back in the day. There was this place called the falafel king. They served Shawarmas, they were a Gyro on steroids. They used to load them up with Lamb/Beef, salad mix and Tzatsiki sauce. They had these deep fried potato crisps that were dipped in tempura batter, dude these things were the greatest gift from God ever, they would put them in the sandwich and give them to you as a side, man I want one NOW.

big nasty kcnut
01-25-2024, 02:31 PM
God I would also kill for some French bread with butter garlic and cheese.

ptlyon
01-25-2024, 02:54 PM
Meatloaf would be nice, mashed potatoes, gravy, okra, and maybe some of that fine corn bread your misses make

Mr. Wizard
01-25-2024, 03:55 PM
Tits on a stick medium rare !

lewdog
01-25-2024, 08:35 PM
Anything a Mexican woman would make me.

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-25-2024, 08:48 PM
Some of the best meals I ever ate, I took for granted. I couldn't tell you how many times we had Sunday dinner at my grandma's house and never realized how great her cooking was. She always cooked like she was feeding twice the number of people there, and everything was homemade. Fried chicken in the old cast iron skillet, corn bread, brown beans, yeast buns (these things were ginormous), fried potatoes and onions, and usually some sort of dessert (my favorite was homemade lemon meringue pie).

If I could find a restaurant that made food that tasted that good, I'de pay a pretty penny.

Yep, I long for my Grandma's homemade Chicken and Noodles over real mashed potatoes...

Buehler445
01-26-2024, 10:31 AM
Anything a Mexican woman would make me.

Ah, yeah. Thanks for reminding me to look at what the burrito lady has today.

Graystoke
01-26-2024, 02:12 PM
Dam thread making me hungry

Pitt Gorilla
01-26-2024, 03:13 PM

Sounds incredible.

Frazod
01-26-2024, 03:51 PM

What I wouldn't give for one more meal cooked by grandma. Either one of them.

Easy 6
01-26-2024, 03:57 PM
Its impossible for me to pin it down to just one specific thing

But I'd be more than happy to have an Asian or Mexican granny prepare me one of their traditional holiday feasts

srvy
01-26-2024, 06:50 PM
Aside from July 4th potluck dinners with relatives at Grandparents farm and mom's Sunday dinners. I suppose I wouldn't mind baked glazed ham sweet mashed potatoes green rice and an apple fritter at Stephenson's Apple Restaurant. Oh also that potato soup at the apple farm.