PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What does 65 toss power trap mean to you?

Shiver Me Timbers
02-03-2024, 05:49 PM
I am watching a highlight of the Chiefs Vikings
LONG LIVE HANK STRAM.

stevieray
02-03-2024, 05:53 PM
Stram coached all three phases.

TLO
02-03-2024, 05:54 PM
This might be blasphemous, but I used to hate seeing that clip. I wasn't alive during that time, (far from it.) I grew up with an 03 Chiefs team that was awesome to watch followed by Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, etc etc etc.

All I knew was pain and suffering. My best Chiefs memory was a Dante Hall punt return for a touchdown against the Broncos. So yeah.... seeing that clip, it kind made me angry.

Thank God for Patrick Mahomes.

Now it's a clip I see a few times a year and don't think much else of it.

HemiEd
02-03-2024, 05:55 PM
Pretty much my beginning on my Chiefs fan journey. It has been quite a ride. Holy shit, could have never dreamed it coming to this.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-03-2024, 05:59 PM
Pretty much my beginning on my Chiefs fan journey. It has been quite a ride. Holy shit, could have never dreamed it coming to this.

Agree. Same with me. Kid in North Central Kansas.
LD and Hank were my heros. I had a dream PM went to the line and called that play at the 3 to win the game

jerryaldini
02-03-2024, 06:09 PM
Buck

FlaChief58
02-03-2024, 06:13 PM
I was 2 when the Chiefs won their first title, so other than it being part of the Chiefs history, it doesn't mean much to me.

BigRedChief
02-03-2024, 06:17 PM
I remember seeing it live.

scho63
02-03-2024, 06:19 PM
What's rarely discussed is that after the Super Bowl win in 1970, the Chiefs struggled and all the great players and Hall of Famers careers just ended with a whimper and not a bang.

I think people would be shocked to look at the Chief's roster from 1971-1976 and see how many players hung around during horrible seasons including a few 5-9 seasons.

I always felt bad they never got back to a Super Bowl and ended their careers playing for Paul Wiggin after Stram got fired after 15 years.

Dawson retired after 1975 season, Willie Lanier in 1977 with only one more playoff appearance.

They deserved better. 1973 and 1974 saw many of the Super Bowl team retire.

1971-1989 saw just two playoff appearances and a shit load of fail.

It makes the current Mahomes success so much more enjoyable and appreciated.

Delano
02-03-2024, 06:20 PM
It’s the name of the Chiefs production company.

Shiver Me Timbers
02-03-2024, 06:21 PM
I remember seeing it live.

My man

BigRedChief
02-03-2024, 06:23 PM
My manwatching Lenny the cool throw it to Otis Taylor lured me in as a fan on that day.

Calcountry
02-03-2024, 06:26 PM
This might be blasphemous, but I used to hate seeing that clip. I wasn't alive during that time, (far from it.) I grew up with an 03 Chiefs team that was awesome to watch followed by Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Thigpen, etc etc etc.

All I knew was pain and suffering. My best Chiefs memory was a Dante Hall punt return for a touchdown against the Broncos. So yeah.... seeing that clip, it kind made me angry.

Now it's a clip I see a few times a year and don't think much else of it.I know that Dante return, i rewound that over and over again, to. Hear the exact moment 80K plus fands in unision erupted with joy at knowing that he was gonna do it again.

Calcountry
02-03-2024, 06:29 PM
What's rarely discussed is that after the Super Bowl win in 1970, the Chiefs struggled and all the great players and Hall of Famers careers just ended with a whimper and not a bang.

I think people would be shocked to look at the Chief's roster from 1971-1976 and see how many players hung around during horrible seasons including a few 5-9 seasons.

I always felt bad they never got back to a Super Bowl and ended their careers playing for Paul Wiggin after Stram got fired after 15 years.

Dawson retired after 1975 season, Willie Lanier in 1977 with only one more playoff appearance.

I think I was in high school before they even made the playoffs against the Jets, and one and done.

Shiver Me Timbers

I continued to have hope and faith. My tipping point was Todd fucking Black Sludge. At that point I went full scorched earth. Had real heartburn up until Joe Montana. when AR was hired doc said the meds are working....just try not to watch black sludge on Saturdays

ChiefsFanatic
I was still a couple of years away from being born, but for me it now really marks the beginning what would become the revolutionary NFL Films.

I know that Stram was aware that he was mic'd up, so maybe he was extra that day, but if he had been boring, and didn't provide content people wanted to see, maybe NFL Films is much different now.

And I think football fans everywhere who enjoy all the sideline content should thank Hank Stram.

Calcountry
02-03-2024, 06:33 PM
Stram wore a business suit, always looked sharp on the sidelines. Compare that to the hoodie and the flat rimmed hat we are gonna see in the Super Bowl.

displacedinMN
02-03-2024, 08:02 PM
I am in no way a coach.

Wondering if that play would work today?

RedinTexas
02-03-2024, 08:18 PM
Bud Grant pussed out and left the field without shaking Stram's hand. They were embarrassed because they lost to the AFL and they got their asses kicked to boot. I met one of the Chiefs players from that team a few years before he died and he told me about Grant not shaking Stram's hand. He also told me that the Chiefs were virtually certain they would win the game because they were much bigger than the Vikings on both offensive and defensive lines.

srvy
02-03-2024, 08:33 PM

Just because you weren't born yet doesn't mean it didn't happen. I mean like I wasn't born yet when we entered began the D-Day landings of WWII. That doesn't mean I can't revere those folks and watch historical documentaries of their exploits.

srvy
02-03-2024, 08:37 PM
I was 13 and watched start to finish along with reruns that were ran for years after till it stopped and just went to highlights.

philfree
02-03-2024, 08:40 PM
As I listen to John Facenda do these Super Bowl highlights I'm wondering if we can't use AI to recreate his voice to do modern Super Bowl highlights. Those old highlights are awesome.

srvy
02-03-2024, 08:49 PM
65 toss power trap to me means our offensive line blew the purple people eaters off the line of scrimmage. Mike Garrett could have run it in backward for that tuddy.

GMitch
02-03-2024, 09:03 PM
watching Lenny the cool throw it to Otis Taylor lured me in as a fan on that day.

Same here. I graduated college in 1968, joined the Air Force and my first assignment was Duluth, Minnesota. I was the only one around even mildly interested in the Chiefs. I remember watching the game by myself because I didn't want to listen to all the Vikings fans. (Good people in Minnesota but they were obnoxious about their team.)

Why Not?
02-03-2024, 10:20 PM
Before my time, but I love it. Reminds me of how awesome old school, smash mouth style football can be. Plus seeing Stram walking the sideline looking like a made man is always awesome. That play and the still photo of Lenny smoking on the sideline are my favorite images or recordings of old football.

ptlyon
02-04-2024, 03:54 AM
It means FUCK YOU MINNESOTA

Warrior5
02-04-2024, 06:22 AM
It meant Piss on the Vikings.

I was 9... watched the whole game with my Dad.

Chief Pote
02-04-2024, 06:49 AM
It means that you call this play once you have matriculated down the field. Watched it live on TV as a ten year old.

Delaney37
02-04-2024, 08:10 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1oQmFPUsviE?si=H46-IiyNEpxb1w-e" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was barely 4 but sure brings back a lot of good childhood memories with my Dad and uncles.

BlackHelicopters
02-04-2024, 08:34 AM
Matriculation.

HonestChieffan
02-04-2024, 10:19 AM
Those days and getting Sports Illustrated with great photos of muddy, grass stained guys with teeth knocked out...Mike Ditka and that whole era and the Chiefs , the Packers, the Bears.

Ok so Im old but damn was good. But now is the best of the best after the suffering of the Herm/Ganz garbage years

Wallcrawler
02-04-2024, 10:32 AM
It means Stram had Grant's number at the end of that series. He didn't just suggest the play, or contemplate calling the play, he called his shot. 65 toss power trap, it's gonna pop wide open.

That was exactly what happened.

65 toss power trap is right there with corndog on a coach scheming a play to score and 0 resistance is offered by the defense.

JohnnyHammersticks
02-04-2024, 10:06 PM
I know that Dante return, i rewound that over and over again, to. Hear the exact moment 80K plus fands in unision erupted with joy at knowing that he was gonna do it again.

I was at that game. One of the 3 craziest celebrations I’ve ever personally witnessed. When he turned the corner Arrowhead went absolutely ballistic. Like being ten feet from a jet engine. The energy wave was indescribable. Both teams being 4-0 at the time helped.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-05-2024, 04:05 AM
Hank Stram saying 'Keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys' in his blue blazer with a CHIEFS logo on the pocket. Lenny the cool sitting on the sidelines smoking a cigarette and drinking a bottle of Pepsi. I was just a little kid, but I knew what I liked.

Calcountry
02-05-2024, 06:36 AM
I was at that game. One of the 3 craziest celebrations I’ve ever personally witnessed. When he turned the corner Arrowhead went absolutely ballistic. Like being ten feet from a jet engine. The energy wave was indescribable. Both teams being 4-0 at the time helped.

It came through the tv, I have never seen anything like it. Y’all were all thinking the same thing, can he do it again, and y’all realized it simultaneously at the same time. Proves that Chiefs fans are all doug in, and know their football.

Calcountry
02-05-2024, 06:42 AM
It means **** YOU MINNESOTA

Who still haven’t won a super bowl, sucks to be a Viking fan.

RedinTexas
02-05-2024, 08:16 AM
Who still haven’t won a super bowl, sucks to be a Viking fan.

They were big favorites against us, though they shouldn't have been, and big underdogs in all the rest. They look at the one against KC as the one that got away which is ridiculous. The AFL beat the NFL in the Super Bowl the previous year when the Jets beat the Colts and the Colts owner was humiliated. The NFL went into the Super Bowl against the Chiefs with something to prove to the lesser league. The NFL wanted to beat Lamar Hunt and the Chiefs down and the Chiefs wanted to give a beating to the NFL as revenge for Super Bowl 1. We all know which side succeeded in that quest.

stevieray
02-05-2024, 08:20 AM

I was too...the only time I've felt the ground move under my feet at Arrowhead.

Bl00dyBizkitz
02-05-2024, 08:33 AM

Wow, I was pretty much the same.

That 03 team was what got me into football and the Chiefs. My Dad had season tickets and I got to go to every home game. Learned about the Arrowhead experience from a pretty early age. Priest Holmes was my idol, and Trent was something of gunslinger himself. I was there live for that Dante Hall return, it was something special.

I had no idea how quickly things would turn to shit after that season LMAO. I never dreamed we would be where we are now.

scho63
02-05-2024, 08:41 AM
Matriculation.

Better than mastication but not as good as masturbation. :thumb:

TinyEvel
02-05-2024, 10:39 AM
Think it's cool, and a great Chiefs fan insider phrase.

BUT

in the clip we've all seen, I feel like he/they say it way too many times. It's like "Sixty-five toss power trap. that's the ticket, sixty-five toss power trap was the right call. way to go, sixty-five toss power trap. Boy, that sixty five toss power trap was the sure bet.

It's like sixty-five toss power trap was a brand with a paid promotion in the game.

Wallcrawler
02-05-2024, 11:43 AM
Think it's cool, and a great Chiefs fan insider phrase.

BUT

in the clip we've all seen, I feel like he/they say it way too many times. It's like "Sixty-five toss power trap. that's the ticket, sixty-five toss power trap was the right call. way to go, sixty-five toss power trap. Boy, that sixty five toss power trap was the sure bet.

It's like sixty-five toss power trap was a brand with a paid promotion in the game.

This falls in line with all the micd up we've seen from Patrick. It's a statement, repeated 3-4 times every time. As for a play that wins you a superbowl, it's not odd at all that the playcall would be repeated this much.

The amount of times the same thing gets repeated is pretty insane when you watch these.