PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Calipari to Arkansas?!?

GabyKeepsMeWarm
04-07-2024, 09:58 PM
WTF

BryanBusby
04-07-2024, 10:00 PM
What a win for Klantucky

RealSNR
04-07-2024, 10:01 PM
That's pretty funny, actually

KC_Connection
04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Shit. UK suddenly has a chance to be a top program again.

Rams Fan
04-07-2024, 10:21 PM
Running off a coach who is the amongst the highest paid in his profession for a worse job to make less money is pretty crazy.

Stewie
04-07-2024, 10:22 PM
What a bizarre move. I guess he couldn't handle the pressure of being a non-factor over the past few years.

BWillie
04-07-2024, 10:24 PM
Well for some reason he started coaching like Fran McCaffrey this year. All offense. No defense. It was baffling.

KC_Connection
04-07-2024, 10:27 PM
Well for some reason he started coaching like Fran McCaffrey this year. All offense. No defense. It was baffling.
Any one of Scott Drew, Matt Painter, or Nate Oats would be a significant upgrade on Cal at this point. Hell, maybe even Bruce Pearl. And you’d have to think they will get one of them.

UK couldn’t be any luckier here that he’s bolted.

BWillie
04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
Any one of Scott Drew, Matt Painter, or Nate Oats would be a significant upgrade on Cal at this point. Hell, maybe even Bruce Pearl. And you’d have to think they will get one of them.

UK couldn’t be any luckier here that he’s bolted.

Don't see a reason it isn't Nate Oats.

BWillie
04-07-2024, 10:33 PM
Is Cal gonna end the gay thing they had going down there this year? Heard they had some internal issues with some gay love triangle among teammates

Rams Fan
04-07-2024, 10:33 PM
Don't see a reason it isn't Nate Oats.

He has an $18 million buyout.

Discuss Thrower
04-07-2024, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't even be a story if you transposed UK's track record under Calipari to somewhere like Washington State.

If anything, it would look like Arkansas went out of their way for a retread.

ptlyon
04-07-2024, 10:38 PM

My condolences

dlphg9
04-07-2024, 10:54 PM
Lol fuck Arkansas. Got a guy that's completely in over his head in this new atmosphere. If he couldn't win at fucking Kentucky with the changes, then he sure as shit isn't winning at Arkansas.

bdj23
04-07-2024, 11:17 PM
Lol **** Arkansas. Got a guy that's completely in over his head in this new atmosphere. If he couldn't win at ****ing Kentucky with the changes, then he sure as shit isn't winning at Arkansas.

He won at Memphis and UMass.

Edit:

Nm you meant in the NIL era

FloridaMan88
04-07-2024, 11:28 PM
Arkansas with that Walmart and Tyson Chicken NIL $$$.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 04:17 AM
NIL neutered the "blue bloods" a bit so it's funny as fuck. That paying the players under the table through the shoe companies and bag men gap has been closed. T shirt fans all over Kentucky weep.

lawrenceRaider
04-08-2024, 05:20 AM

What top coach wants to deal with that insane program?

Kentucky wandered the wilderness for a while before Cal arrived.

WhawhaWhat
04-08-2024, 05:23 AM
NIL neutered the "blue bloods" a bit so it's funny as ****. That paying the players under the table through the shoe companies and bag men gap has been closed. T shirt fans all over Kentucky weep.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Purdue coach Matt Painter with a bomb here at his NCAA title game news conference:<br><br>“Name, image, and likeness wasn’t put into place so the schools with the most money could get the best players. But if you want to be honest, that was happening before.”<br><br>🤯</p>&mdash; Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1777047013064139030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 06:26 AM
What top coach wants to deal with that insane program?

Kentucky wandered the wilderness for a while before Cal arrived.

By wilderness, do you mean 2 years?

Buehler445
04-08-2024, 06:32 AM
Is Cal gonna end the gay thing they had going down there this year? Heard they had some internal issues with some gay love triangle among teammates

LOL WUT

Buehler445
04-08-2024, 06:33 AM
This is a wild world we live in.

My guess is he was "encouraged to seek a new opportunity" or some shit.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 06:49 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Purdue coach Matt Painter with a bomb here at his NCAA title game news conference:<br><br>“Name, image, and likeness wasn’t put into place so the schools with the most money could get the best players. But if you want to be honest, that was happening before.”<br><br>��</p>&mdash; Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1777047013064139030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yup and even the ones that were caught barely got a slap on the wrist and it was swept under the rug. Fans of that other k team that always got mad Cal "cheated" shut up quickly when their hands got caught in the cookie jar

Pablo
04-08-2024, 07:21 AM
^^^

Always got KU on his mind

LMAO

TambaBerry
04-08-2024, 07:26 AM
^^^

Always got KU on his mind

LMAO

Lol his inferiority complex definitely shines through when it comes to KU. Literally every team and school was doing something for recruits and players.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 07:35 AM
Nothing I posted is untrue ROFL Bawled your eyes out for years about Cal "buying players"...until "shoe gate" happened

ROYC75
04-08-2024, 07:42 AM
Now a little Devil's advocate, watch Cal & Arkansas start whipping UK regularly and advancing farther in the big dance! :hmmm:

That would be AWESOME!

Bearcat
04-08-2024, 07:45 AM
Lol his inferiority complex definitely shines through when it comes to KU. Literally every team and school was doing something for recruits and players.

I'd say it's like a Broncos fan thinking they can hurt Chiefs fans feelings, but the Broncos won a division game last year, so... :shrug:

RaidersOftheCellar
04-08-2024, 07:47 AM

Heard that Arkansas's going to have $5 mil in NIL funds available. He's probably going to bring his entire recruiting class with him and Kentucky's going to have a brutal team next season.

It's going to be hilarious when Arkansas smokes Kentucky next year.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 08:02 AM
Heard that Arkansas's going to have $5 mil in NIL funds available. He's probably going to bring his entire recruiting class with him and Kentucky's going to have a brutal team next season.

It's going to be hilarious when Arkansas smokes Kentucky next season.

Do you really think Kentucky won’t use the portal with whatever new hire they bring in and won’t be able to lure other recruits to de-commit from wherever they initially were committed to?

Come on now.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-08-2024, 09:08 AM
Do you really think Kentucky won’t use the portal with whatever new hire they bring in and won’t be able to lure other recruits to de-commit from wherever they initially were committed to?

Come on now.

Beginning your roster construction in April (or later) isn't exactly ideal.

Of course they'll end up with some decent players, but you just lost by far your best recruiter in many years, so I wouldn't expect a wealth of talent to fall into your lap as it has the last 15 years.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 09:14 AM
Beginning your roster construction in April (or later) isn't exactly ideal.

Of course they'll end up with some decent players, but you just lost by far your best recruiter in many years, so I wouldn't expect a wealth of talent to fall into your lap as it has the last 15 years.

No shit. But I don’t expect the team to have talent equivalent to DePaul either.

Chances are most of, if not all, his commits follow him to Arkansas and any player who was going to stay will transfer. Yeah, way less than ideal to build an entire roster in April,but so what?

Yes, ideally the next coach would make it to the second weekend or better year 1 (expecting a F4 or natty is insane), but it’s not about Year 1. It’s about Year 2 and the future.

I’m not sure Cal could make the F4 at Kentucky again given he pissed off a majority of the fanbase and the boosters along the way. I think it’s possible he could at Arkansas where he won’t face as much scrutiny.

Great Expectations
04-08-2024, 09:17 AM
Did Kentucky reduce the buyout for him to go to Arkansas? I was hearing that they were giving him one more chance next year because the buyout on his contract would drop significantly.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 09:19 AM
Did Kentucky reduce the buyout for him to go to Arkansas? I was hearing that they were giving him one more chance next year because the buyout on his contract would drop significantly.

No. It would cost UK $33 million to fire him. It costs Cal nothing to leave on his own.

ThrobProng
04-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Arkansas? LOL

Squeal like a pig, Cal!

BWillie
04-08-2024, 09:50 AM
NIL neutered the "blue bloods" a bit so it's funny as fuck. That paying the players under the table through the shoe companies and bag men gap has been closed. T shirt fans all over Kentucky weep.

I think it's the opposite actually. Big name schools were always playing players. Now it's even EASIER. There is really no excuse to ever have a down year now because you can just reload in the portal. The blue bloods of the world can go out and get whoever they want. We paid HD like 1.5M this year.

BWillie
04-08-2024, 09:51 AM
No. It would cost UK $33 million to fire him. It costs Cal nothing to leave on his own.

Do you think there was some behind the scene buy out? Cal goes to them and says look I'll leave but I want you to pay me 8 million of it and I'll take the Arky job so you can save some money.

Titty Meat
04-08-2024, 09:52 AM
Rams Fan lost

BWillie
04-08-2024, 09:53 AM
LOL WUT

Google it. It's real. At least the speculation about it is.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 09:55 AM
Do you think there was some behind the scene buy out? Cal goes to them and says look I'll leave but I want you to pay me 8 million of it and I'll take the Arky job so you can save some money.

No, as it’s for an in-conference school.

Now, if he went to a place like Ohio St. or USC, where he’d be making significantly less than what he will at Arkansas (which is a bit below his UK salary), I could see where the powers that be give him some $ on the way out. But he was never getting fired or leave without collecting the majority of $ he was owed. He took a slight paycut to go to Arkansas, but not substantial.

More shocked he left to stay in the SEC after having his AD publicly back him, with both doing a sit down interview together in Lexington, last week.

ROYC75
04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
I know we are talking about UK, they have had some down years, coaches before, so think of this tidbit. Anywhere Cal has been and left, UMass, Memphis, the programs never became/regain relevance again. A 3rd time charm would be a setting most CBB fans around the world would cherish!

Just saying ..... :hmmm:

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 10:00 AM
I know we are talking about UK, they have had some down years, coaches before, so think of this tidbit. Anywhere Cal has been and left, UMass, Memphis, the programs never became/regain relevance again. A 3rd time charm would be a setting most CBB fans around the world would cherish!

Just saying ..... :hmmm:

You’re comparing a state school that had no success before Calipari and a mid-major to a Blue Blood.

TambaBerry
04-08-2024, 10:01 AM
Nothing I posted is untrue ROFL Bawled your eyes out for years about Cal "buying players"...until "shoe gate" happened

You realize we got in trouble for giving De Sousa money for an online class so he could become eligible. It wasn't the Adidas thing.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 10:13 AM
You realize we got in trouble for giving De Sousa money for an online class so he could become eligible. It wasn't the Adidas thing.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 10:14 AM
I think it's the opposite actually. Big name schools were always playing players. Now it's even EASIER. There is really no excuse to ever have a down year now because you can just reload in the portal. The blue bloods of the world can go out and get whoever they want. We paid HD like 1.5M this year.

UConn is what you think the beakers are?

BWillie
04-08-2024, 10:20 AM
UConn is what you think the beakers are?

I am almost 40. Kansas has never been bad in my entire life. Never, ever, ever. Maybe in 1989 when they were on probation but I was too young to remember it. No team has a run of greatness like that where they've never been bad. Not Duke. Not UNC. Not UK and definitely not UConn.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 10:24 AM
I am almost 40. Kansas has never been bad in my entire life. Never, ever, ever. Maybe in 1989 when they were on probation but I was too young to remember it. No team has a run of greatness like that where they've never been bad. Not Duke. Not UNC. Not UK and definitely not UConn.

In your lifetime, sure.

My Dad was at Kansas in the early 70s. They had 2 seasons at or below .500.

Bearcat
04-08-2024, 10:26 AM
In your lifetime, sure.

My Dad was at Kansas in the early 70s. They had 2 seasons at or below .500.

Well, time to turn in our tshirts.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/OTrcaFr7P5RIs" width="480" height="314" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 10:29 AM
Well, time to turn in our tshirts.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/OTrcaFr7P5RIs" width="480" height="314" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

News at 11: No team has 100 consecutive seasons with winning records.

Bearcat
04-08-2024, 10:32 AM
News at 11: No team has 100 consecutive seasons with winning records.

https://y.yarn.co/83364d16-e3b3-40da-bf53-9a2e5a8a268b_text.gif

ROYC75
04-08-2024, 11:10 AM
You’re comparing a state school that had no success before Calipari and a mid-major to a Blue Blood.

I said I know it's UK, BTA I also said it's Cal and ....... ? :doh!:

MarkDavis'Haircut
04-08-2024, 11:13 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Purdue coach Matt Painter with a bomb here at his NCAA title game news conference:<br><br>“Name, image, and likeness wasn’t put into place so the schools with the most money could get the best players. But if you want to be honest, that was happening before.”<br><br>🤯</p>&mdash; Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1777047013064139030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It was put in place because people thought student athletes were no better than galley slaves.

This was the natural outcome of NIL. Anyone with a brain knew it.

DJJasonp
04-08-2024, 11:19 AM

and you're a simpleton if you think only a handful of schools did it/do it.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 11:20 AM
and you're a simpleton if you think only a handful of schools did it/do it.

Never said that but there were posters here that thought Cal did things that Burrito did not until he was caught grabbing Xtra queso

bdj23
04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
Never said that but there were posters here that thought Cal did things that Burrito did not until he was caught grabbing Xtra queso

Maybe you guys should have tried cheating?

Bearcat
04-08-2024, 11:29 AM

We're all super jealous of Calipari's one NC to KU's two during his time at UK. :spock:

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 11:31 AM
We're all super jealous of Calipari's one NC to KU's two during his time at UK. :spock:

Didn’t realize they gave out a banner for 2020.

Only collectible wine bottles.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-08-2024, 11:40 AM
No shit. But I don’t expect the team to have talent equivalent to DePaul either.

Chances are most of, if not all, his commits follow him to Arkansas and any player who was going to stay will transfer. Yeah, way less than ideal to build an entire roster in April,but so what?

Yes, ideally the next coach would make it to the second weekend or better year 1 (expecting a F4 or natty is insane), but it’s not about Year 1. It’s about Year 2 and the future.

I’m not sure Cal could make the F4 at Kentucky again given he pissed off a majority of the fanbase and the boosters along the way. I think it’s possible he could at Arkansas where he won’t face as much scrutiny.

By "brutal," I didn't mean Depaul brutal (even though Calipari somehow managed to pull that off a few years ago). Keep in mind, many of your fans consider the last five years rock bottom. It can get a loooot worse than extremely talented teams choking in the tourney.

After the last five years, I doubt that fans are going to be patient with a really mediocre, NIT type season next year. Especially if they have to settle for someone who isn't one of their top choices.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-08-2024, 11:40 AM
Didn’t realize they gave out a banner for 2020.

Only collectible wine bottles.

Only Ken pom connection and Lil Willie are pathetic enough to claim that

RaidersOftheCellar
04-08-2024, 11:45 AM

If we're being technical, Adidas was caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Sworn testimony said that Bill knew nothing about it.

Don't get me wrong...I don't have my head buried. But if people are going to hide behind the "facts," then they have to stick to the facts. No one's proven a thing about Self's role in that stuff.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
By "brutal," I didn't mean Depaul brutal (even though Calipari somehow managed to pull that off a few years ago). Keep in mind, many of your fans consider the last five years rock bottom. It can get a loooot worse than extremely talented teams choking in the tourney.

After the last five years, I doubt that fans are going to be patient with a really mediocre, NIT type season next year. Especially if they have to settle for someone who isn't one of their top choices.

I don’t disagree, but the chances of Kentucky being atrociously awful for a sustainable period of time, while possible, is unlikely. There’s too much of a support system and infrastructure to be bad (I’m talking actual bad. Like 2020-2021 bad) a long time.

Sure, there might be a few years where it’s bad (like Doherty at UNC), but not an entire decade plus of darkness.

Bearcat
04-08-2024, 11:52 AM
But if people are going to hide behind the "facts," then they have to stick to the facts.

It's a thread about a Kentucky coach going to Arkansas where a Missouri fan is scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to troll Kansas fans... in terms of facts, we're like 5 head first dives into folding tables beyond saying Josh Allen is superior to Mahomes.

tredadda
04-08-2024, 12:02 PM
Good move for Cal. He's no longer able to compete in this era where he can't just get by on one and dones. He can now go to Arkansas where standards are far lower than UK.

Mile High Mania
04-08-2024, 12:10 PM
Good move for Cal. He's no longer able to compete in this era where he can't just get by on one and dones. He can now go to Arkansas where standards are far lower than UK.

The fan base is definitely strong. Good history recently in EM’s early years. Let’s see what JC can bring with him. Razorback basketball can compete in the SEC, will be a good fit.

tredadda
04-08-2024, 01:25 PM
The fan base is definitely strong. Good history recently in EM’s early years. Let’s see what JC can bring with him. Razorback basketball can compete in the SEC, will be a good fit.

No doubts. He just won't have a championship every year standard to live up to.

RedinTexas
04-08-2024, 01:33 PM
I don’t disagree, but the chances of Kentucky being atrociously awful for a sustainable period of time, while possible, is unlikely. There’s too much of a support system and infrastructure to be bad (I’m talking actual bad. Like 2020-2021 bad) a long time.

Sure, there might be a few years where it’s bad (like Doherty at UNC), but not an entire decade plus of darkness.

The last 5 years have been pretty awful by UK standards. How likely would you have thought those results would be 6 years ago?

ChiliConCarnage
04-08-2024, 01:49 PM
Pretty wild. I guess he was at Memphis before so sort of in the area.

Rams Fan
04-08-2024, 05:20 PM
https://x.com/gmannvols/status/1777464449982681320?s=46&t=q5-oMlCgjn8lyJwT7tGMSQ

Cant embed on my phone but there’s rumors he’s trying to stay.

Let’s go.

KC_Connection
04-08-2024, 05:47 PM
https://x.com/gmannvols/status/1777464449982681320?s=46&t=q5-oMlCgjn8lyJwT7tGMSQ

Let’s go.

Amazing. We can't let UK have any chance of being a powerhouse program again. Scott Drew or Nate Oats could do that.

Great Expectations
04-08-2024, 06:25 PM

It cost him nothing to quite, but if he is going to coach next year that team normally has to pay the same $33 million dollar buyout to the school he is leaving.

Pablo
04-08-2024, 06:44 PM

Arkansas basketball fans are 90% as delusional as Sucky fans with like 10% of the success.

They are going to have unreasonable expectations as well.

BWillie
04-08-2024, 07:10 PM
Amazing. We can't let UK have any chance of being a powerhouse program again. Scott Drew or Nate Oats could do that.

Calipari is a good coach.

Mile High Mania
04-08-2024, 07:28 PM

Let’s go.

That would be a hell of a buzzkill.

Pablo
04-08-2024, 07:31 PM
That would be a hell of a buzzkill.

The meltdown on Rupp Rafters would be amazing.

They're having a 'Goodbye CCC' party over there.

KC_Connection
04-08-2024, 10:52 PM
Calipari is a good coach.
Was a good coach. Now he's just a good recruiter.

Pitt Gorilla
04-08-2024, 10:59 PM

Let’s go.

Shades of Dana Altman. LMAO

KC_Connection
04-09-2024, 12:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A message to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBN?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BBN</a>: <a href="https://t.co/TG344ipTfZ">pic.twitter.com/TG344ipTfZ</a></p>&mdash; John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari) <a href="https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/1777761913964843518?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 9, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Damn. UK is (potentially) back.

Rams Fan
04-09-2024, 12:25 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A message to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBN?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BBN</a>: <a href="https://t.co/TG344ipTfZ">pic.twitter.com/TG344ipTfZ</a></p>&mdash; John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari) <a href="https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/1777761913964843518?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 9, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wanted Cal to go out on a higher note as a final **** you to everyone, but it was time.

He did a lot of good stuff. But if he came back next year it would toxic as hell.

Now, as long as Barnhart doesn’t hire Gillispie 2.0, we can move forward.

Mr. Plow
04-09-2024, 12:27 PM

Let’s go.

Correct me if I'm wrong..... but he's the one that said he was leaving (or at least that was the thought); and UK can't fire him without a huge payout. So couldn't he, in theory, just say "I'm staying" and that's the end of it?

Mr. Plow
04-09-2024, 12:29 PM

Damnit!

RaidersOftheCellar
04-09-2024, 02:59 PM

Hurley would be the one to worry about and that's not happening.

Appears that Oats is out too. Drew has to be the favorite, and I don't think that's anything to be terrified of.

sedated
04-09-2024, 03:04 PM

Appears that Oats is out too. Drew has to be the favorite, and I don't think that's anything to be terrified of.

Scott Drew seems like the most anti-Kentucky coach that could ever exist. Pitino coming back would be perfect.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-09-2024, 03:06 PM
It's literally all Kentucky/Bengal fans have is that Blue Blood(dumbest fucking phrase I've seen in sports) status

Kiimo
04-09-2024, 03:11 PM
In my opinion Kentucky should hire the coach that has the pedigree and values that UK fans hold dearest.

https://i.imgur.com/oXwTRCv.jpeg

BWillie
04-09-2024, 04:52 PM
Scott Drew seems like the most anti-Kentucky coach that could ever exist. Pitino coming back would be perfect.

Klantucky would eat Scott Drew alive.

Pablo
04-09-2024, 04:53 PM
Isn't Scott Drew a big time bible thumper?

That doesn't really jive with what Sucky is. They need a scummy con-man at the helm. They are going to get Chris Beard. And they'll like it.

Mr. Plow
04-09-2024, 04:56 PM
It's literally all Kentucky/Bengal fans have is that Blue Blood(dumbest fucking phrase I've seen in sports) status

LMAO

You're really angry at good basketball teams today. Go outside for a bit.

Rams Fan
04-09-2024, 04:59 PM
Apparently Kentucky is beginning its offer for Hurley at $11 million/year.

Kramerica
04-09-2024, 06:00 PM
Hurley would be stupid to leave UConn for UK.

KC_Connection
04-09-2024, 06:08 PM
Hurley would be stupid to leave UConn for UK.

He'd also be stupid not to get UConn to match any offer UK makes, which I assume he will do.

Mr. Plow
04-09-2024, 08:35 PM
Edit version 2.0.....

It was a parody account.

Edit....

I'm guessing this is bullshit, not seeing anywhere else.

No idea on how accurate this is, but....

threebag
04-10-2024, 04:21 AM
Hopefully both programs continue to suck

rfaulk34
04-10-2024, 08:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong..... but he's the one that said he was leaving (or at least that was the thought); and UK can't fire him without a huge payout. So couldn't he, in theory, just say "I'm staying" and that's the end of it?

Breach of contract. He's supposed to inform the Uni if he's in talks with anyone from another school.

ChiTown
04-10-2024, 08:23 AM
Edit....

I'm guessing this is bullshit, not seeing anywhere else.

No idea on how accurate this is, but....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Scott Drew has began to notify staff and players that he is taking the Kentucky job (Per sources in Waco). <br><br>Scott Drew will be named the new Head Coach at Kentucky within the next 24 hours. <a href="https://t.co/M0lzt9k06e">pic.twitter.com/M0lzt9k06e</a></p>&mdash; Chris Renkin (@247ChrisHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/247ChrisHoops/status/1777853983790424094?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 10, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, that's a parody account, FYI

Rams Fan
04-10-2024, 08:41 AM

Care to explain? He completed the largest rebuild in college basketball history with a title.

I get he has been to the second once since 2020-2021 (which is when they won the title), but so has Kansas.

He's in arguably the toughest conference in college basketball, has less to work with than he would at Kentucky, and performs at a high level, both on the court and in terms of recruiting.

The only thing that would give me some pause is I'm not sure his temperament would be the best fit here given his personality. He's not the larger than life guy that Cal and Pitino are. He's more like Tubby, which he still did great here, but I think he'd get eaten alive if he wasn't putting up results within 3 seasons?

Drew, IMO, should be the second call behind Hurley. I'd rather have him than Donovan due to Donovan being older and not having coached college in almost a decade. Anything other than Hurley, Drew, or Donovan would be a disappointment.

That doesn't really jive with what Sucky is. They need a scummy con-man at the helm. They are going to get Chris Beard. And they'll like it.

I'm not sure the point you're making?

The AD is also devoutly Christian as well, like Drew. The President of UK is Jewish.

KC_Connection
04-10-2024, 08:45 AM
Drew is a really good coach and massive improvement on Calipari.

Rams Fan
04-10-2024, 08:49 AM
Drew is a really good coach and massive improvement on Calipari.

Drew in 2024 is better than Calipari in 2024, yes.

I don't think a majority of people realize what he's done at Baylor was nothing short of a miracle. He inherited a program that was on probation for his first 7 years as HC, which also included the loss of scholarships for multiple seasons and the inability to play non-conference games for a season.

He recruits at a high level. Not as high as Calipari, who is probably the greatest recruiter of all time, but still very, very well. His teams also are very good offensively and defensively.

I get the criticism that he hasn't made the second weekend that often, but it's ****ing Baylor, and he has been there multiple times and likely would have been in contention for another second weekend or Final Four appearance in 2020.

The only reservation I have is his personality. It's a fishbowl in Lexington with the scrutiny he'd be under. I'm not sure how he'd handle that.

He isn't Dan Hurley, but he's a pretty damn good coach in his own right.

Buehler445
04-10-2024, 09:01 AM

He was there for 15 years and only 30 of his guys fucking graduated? WOW. I don't even.

Man, Chris Beard would be an annoyingly good hire. Unless he's just all the way off the wagon now.

KC_Connection
04-10-2024, 09:55 AM
Drew in 2024 is better than Calipari in 2024, yes.

I don't think a majority of people realize what he's done at Baylor was nothing short of a miracle. He inherited a program that was on probation for his first 7 years as HC, which also included the loss of scholarships for multiple seasons and the inability to play non-conference games for a season.

He recruits at a high level. Not as high as Calipari, who is probably the greatest recruiter of all time, but still very, very well. His teams also are very good offensively and defensively.

I get the criticism that he hasn't made the second weekend that often, but it's ****ing Baylor, and he has been there multiple times and likely would have been in contention for another second weekend or Final Four appearance in 2020.

The only reservation I have is his personality. It's a fishbowl in Lexington with the scrutiny he'd be under. I'm not sure how he'd handle that.

He isn't Dan Hurley, but he's a pretty damn good coach in his own right.

Tournament is a complete crapshoot, it doesn't matter. He's been a top 5 coach now for at least the past 5 years. Realistically, I don't know that they could do much better (after Hurley says no).

Rams Fan
04-10-2024, 10:03 AM
Tournament is a complete crapshoot, it doesn't matter. He's been a top 5 coach now for at least the past 5 years. Realistically, I don't know that they could do much better (after Hurley says no).

The tournament is a crapshoot, yes, but it's also largest part in evaluating the season.

Cal wouldn't have had the fanbase turn on him if he won or made the natty in 2022. Instead, he hadn't made the second weekend since 2019, had arguably the worst season in program history, 1 tournament win, and losses to a 14 and 15 seed in the first seed, including with a 2022 team that by all accounts was a top 8 team based off of seeding and the regular season.

If Drew only makes the second weekend once in 5 years in Lexington, with no Final Fours or titles, he's going to be ran out of town. Just like Cal. Just like Tubby, who had weaker regular season teams at the end of his tenure but still made it to the second weekend 6 out of 10 seasons.

And I'm in agreement with you. Hurley is clearly the best candidate they could logically go after and he will likely say no. Drew is the next best and is still a very good coach.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-10-2024, 10:07 AM
He'd also be stupid not to get UConn to match any offer UK makes, which I assume he will do.

Will they give him a raise from 3 mil to 11+?

ChiTown
04-10-2024, 10:50 AM
Will they give him a raise from 3 mil to 11+?

Hurley is making (with incentives) close to $6MM/YR right now. They'd be crazy not to bump him to around $7.5-8MM. Cal was making around $9MM+

RaidersOftheCellar
04-10-2024, 12:03 PM
Hurley is making (with incentives) close to $6MM/YR right now. They'd be crazy not to bump him to around $7.5-8MM. Cal was making around $9MM+

But Kentucky's allegedly starting their offer at 11.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Care to explain? He completed the largest rebuild in college basketball history with a title.

I get he has been to the second once since 2020-2021 (which is when they won the title), but so has Kansas.

He's in arguably the toughest conference in college basketball, has less to work with than he would at Kentucky, and performs at a high level, both on the court and in terms of recruiting.

The only thing that would give me some pause is I'm not sure his temperament would be the best fit here given his personality. He's not the larger than life guy that Cal and Pitino are. He's more like Tubby, which he still did great here, but I think he'd get eaten alive if he wasn't putting up results within 3 seasons?

Drew, IMO, should be the second call behind Hurley. I'd rather have him than Donovan due to Donovan being older and not having coached college in almost a decade. Anything other than Hurley, Drew, or Donovan would be a disappointment.

I'm not sure the point you're making?

The AD is also devoutly Christian as well, like Drew. The President of UK is Jewish.

I didn't say that Drew isn't a solid coach. I said I don't think he's something to be terrified of (Hurley or Wright at Kentucky would be scary). I'm sure his results would be better on average than Calipari's over the last several years, but it's far from a guarantee that he's going to pile up final fours. Or land classes that are close to the average Calipari class.

And yeah, it was a nice rebuild, but it also took him 20 years to reach his first and only final four. Baylor was basically a middling program until 2020.

Pitt Gorilla
04-10-2024, 12:14 PM

How does an average margin of victory of over 23 points per game and back-to-back Championships suggest a "complete crapshoot?"

Bearcat
04-10-2024, 12:25 PM
How does an average margin of victory of over 23 points per game and back-to-back Championships suggest a "complete crapshoot?"

I don't think it's a complete crapshoot, but Purdue did play an 11 seed in the Final Four.

Since 2000, 35 out of 96 one seeds made the Final Four... what other sport exists where a top 4 team routinely wins 85-90%+ of their games yet only has a 36% chance to make the semifinal?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2024, 12:45 PM

beaker Homer garbage

FloridaMan88
04-10-2024, 12:57 PM
Kentucky fans eagerly tracking a Waco to Lexington flight…

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GK0KTqSWkAAiZL2?format=jpg&name=large

lawrenceRaider
04-10-2024, 03:29 PM

3 UConn championships are of the crapshoot variety.

KUs last one definitely was.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2024, 05:16 PM
3 UConn championships are of the crapshoot variety.

KUs last one definitely was.

Missed Free Throws and Mario's Flukeacle are more "crapshoot" than anything UConn has had happened

bdj23
04-10-2024, 05:23 PM

It's a fallback that KU (I'm a KU fan) and now UK fans use to cope with their perceived lack of success in the NCAA tournament. KU should have more championships as a blue blood program and UK should have more with the excess of talent Cal has brought it through the years.

So therefore the tournament is a completely random series of events.

Bearcat
04-10-2024, 07:18 PM
It's a fallback that KU (I'm a KU fan) and now UK fans use to cope with their perceived lack of success in the NCAA tournament. KU should have more championships as a blue blood program and UK should have more with the excess of talent Cal has brought it through the years.

So therefore the tournament is a completely random series of events.

As long as you completely ignore everything that points to how difficult it is to win the tournament as a top 4 team compared to every other league anywhere.... then yeah? :shrug:

I've always seen rival fans around here cry about KU's NC count, not so much KU fans (not saying they don't exist)... my question has always been if they should have more, how greedy should we be? I'd think maybe they should have won one more in all these years... not really a big enough deal to just make believe the difficulty of the tournament.

The funniest part about using UConn as an argument that it's not a crapshoot is they were a 4 seed last year and a 7th seed the time before that, and a 3 seed before that.

I think the biggest hang up is this black and white world where people see "crapshoot" and make believe it's "a completely random series of events," when nobody is saying that at all.

I don't think there are any other leagues where someone would just shrug if the 15th best team won the NC while no team better than that even played in the semifinals. :shrug:

Mr. Plow
04-10-2024, 09:08 PM
Missed Free Throws and Mario's Flukeacle are more "crapshoot" than anything UConn has had happened

Jesus. Let it go. That was one of the best teams ever, playing in one of the greatest final fours ever. Go hate fuck your stuffed Jayhawk.

KC_Connection
04-10-2024, 10:23 PM

So therefore the tournament is a completely random series of events. The 2022 KU draw was just about the luckiest thing I’ve seen in the tournament (and as a team it likely wouldn’t even rank among the top 5 of Self’s best), but sure, definitely not a crapshoot.

FloridaMan88
04-11-2024, 09:09 AM
Big blow to Kentucky’s HC search.

All of their top choices have rejected them… Hurley, Oats, Billy Donovan and now Scott Drew.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Scott Drew turns down Kentucky and will remain at Baylor. Good for Scott, he’s got a great life in Waco, doesn’t need the Kentucky job. Big miss for Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart. Who’s next on the Wildcat list?</p>&mdash; Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1778439128406753720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KC_Connection
04-11-2024, 09:10 AM
Drew turned down UK, amazing LMAO

Rams Fan
04-11-2024, 09:17 AM

All of their top choices have rejected them… Hurley, Oats, Billy Donovan and now Scott Drew.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Scott Drew turns down Kentucky and will remain at Baylor. Good for Scott, he’s got a great life in Waco, doesn’t need the Kentucky job. Big miss for Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart. Who’s next on the Wildcat list?</p>&mdash; Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1778439128406753720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hurley hasn’t rejected them yet (officially) as he’s 100% probably using them for contract leverage and they haven’t talked to Donovan yet.

If they both say no, fuck it, bring Pitino home.

Mr. Plow
04-11-2024, 09:29 AM

Ouch.

Mile High Mania
04-11-2024, 09:31 AM
It will be interesting to see how he builds the team from scratch.

Pablo
04-11-2024, 09:44 AM
LMAO

Nobody wants to go suffer thru that klanbase.

chiefzilla1501
04-11-2024, 09:53 AM
Gonna be Bruce pearl, isnt it

ROYC75
04-11-2024, 09:56 AM
Jesus. Let it go. That was one of the best teams ever, playing in one of the greatest final fours ever. Go hate **** your stuffed Jayhawk.

ROFL

ROYC75
04-11-2024, 09:58 AM
LMAO

Nobody wants to go suffer thru that klanbase.

This, the idiots here in Ky where I am at are appalled that nobody wants to come here to coach!

Imon Yourside
04-11-2024, 10:01 AM
Hurley hasn’t rejected them yet (officially) as he’s 100% probably using them for contract leverage and they haven’t talked to Donovan yet.

If they both say no, fuck it, bring Pitino home.

Guy is like 100 years old man, You could go get Billy Gillespie tho ;)

Pablo
04-11-2024, 10:05 AM
Kentucky always gets their (5th option) man!

Imon Yourside
04-11-2024, 10:07 AM
Kentucky always gets their (5th option) man!

Fran Fraschilla is still available!

KC_Connection
04-11-2024, 05:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kentucky fans: “We want Dan Hurley, Scott Drew or Billy Donovan!”<br><br>Mitch Barnhart: <a href="https://t.co/9WjGzItxGq">pic.twitter.com/9WjGzItxGq</a></p>&mdash; Matt McGavic (@Matt_McGavic) <a href="https://twitter.com/Matt_McGavic/status/1778524791437484133?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pablo
04-11-2024, 05:22 PM
Who the fuck is Mark Pope?

Titty Meat
04-11-2024, 06:03 PM
LOL Rams Fan lost

Pablo
04-11-2024, 06:17 PM
They seem pumped for pope lololol

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240412/330d0bf24cc1f287751920a7a9083a7a.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
04-11-2024, 07:09 PM
Lulz most of their fanbase is Bengals fans...and one oddball Ramfan

KC_Connection
04-11-2024, 08:05 PM
And the Pope hire has been reported with a deal expected by the end of the night LMAO

Time to head to RR.

Pablo
04-11-2024, 08:09 PM
Omg they’re really gonna hire a guy out of the dumpster????

It’s beautiful

New World Order
04-11-2024, 08:10 PM
Who’s Mike Pop?

rfaulk34
04-11-2024, 08:11 PM
lulz

This is comical.

Pablo
04-11-2024, 08:14 PM
lulz

This is comical.

Can you smell the NIT berths from here?

Pablo
04-11-2024, 08:15 PM
I’m just happy the all time wins record is coming back home where it belongs with this hire

rfaulk34
04-11-2024, 08:15 PM
Can you smell the NIT berths from here?

I'm smellin something alright.

Bearcat
04-11-2024, 08:20 PM
I'm smellin something alright.

https://y.yarn.co/c3c3c050-684f-4ee9-bdc2-7df9908eae8e_text.gif

ROYC75
04-11-2024, 08:21 PM
This is going to be GOLDEN, almost like Brad Daugherty at North Carolina!

KC_Connection
04-11-2024, 08:27 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mark Pope -- from back-to-back fifth-place finishes in the WCC to the Kentucky job in 12 months!<a href="https://t.co/l3RqkU9088">https://t.co/l3RqkU9088</a></p>&mdash; Jeff Eisenberg (@JeffEisenberg) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffEisenberg/status/1778604243974504884?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rfaulk34
04-11-2024, 08:30 PM
24k people on Matt Jones Twitter space listing to him right now.

KC_Connection
04-11-2024, 08:31 PM
24k people on Matt Jones Twitter space listing to him right now.

Me included

rfaulk34
04-11-2024, 08:31 PM
https://y.yarn.co/c3c3c050-684f-4ee9-bdc2-7df9908eae8e_text.gif

Roses by comparison. LMAO

rfaulk34
04-11-2024, 08:33 PM
Let's take a live look into Mitch Barnhart's office right now...

https://media.tenor.com/images/d18d3b176e82a98030191cb6ebde5a81/tenor.gif

Rams Fan
04-11-2024, 08:38 PM
I don’t think Pope is a bad coach, but not the hire I’d have made now.

He’s someone I’d go after in 5 years if he has more success.

New World Order
04-11-2024, 09:16 PM
Bring back Billie Gillespie

Rams Fan
04-11-2024, 09:22 PM
Spin zone:

Kentucky hired a head coach, who in his first year in the Big 12 won at and had the same record as Kansas.

TEX
04-12-2024, 06:07 AM
Spin zone:

Kentucky hired a head coach, who in his first year in the Big 12 won at and had the same record as Kansas.

True, but big picture wise, this is underwhelming. You're probably just dizzy from spinning this so hard.

Seriously, Kentucky is one of the best college basketball programs in the country. They could have and should have done better. This guy is not going to restore them to prominence.

Rams Fan
04-12-2024, 06:26 AM
True, but big picture wise, this is underwhelming. You're probably just dizzy from spinning this so hard.

Seriously, Kentucky is one of the best college basketball programs in the country. They could have and should have done better. This guy is not going to restore them to prominence.

I don’t have a problem going with a coach is unproven, but would like to have seen at least some tournament success (at least one second weekend appearance).

His teams 3 of the last 5 years finished with a higher KenPom than Kentucky, so make of that as you will.

My main concern is his recruiting, which I know at BYU he is under restrictions as to who he can get. I think he’s a good coach scheme wise and will know how to deal with community, boosters, and fanbase.

But Barnhart (the AD) put him in a shit situation where if he doesn’t win immediately (second weekend by year 2), he’s going to face a lot of pressure. I think Pope can be successful in Lexington but he’ll need more time than someone like Pearl would.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-12-2024, 11:59 AM
Let's take a live look into Mitch Barnhart's office right now...

https://media.tenor.com/images/d18d3b176e82a98030191cb6ebde5a81/tenor.gif

Barnhart's from Kansas City KS and went to a college near Lawrence. He's a planted saboteur....mwahahahahaha....

KC_Connection
04-12-2024, 12:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mitch Barnhart on a phone call with Kentucky Sports Radio, the thought there was a massive pool of candidates: &quot;It&#39;s really more like a puddle of names.&quot; He says that&#39;s a product of the pressure that comes with UK. Also mentions egos and personalities are part of the process.</p>&mdash; Tyler Greever (@Tyler_Greever) <a href="https://twitter.com/Tyler_Greever/status/1778802718422749683?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

More like a puddle.

Pablo
04-12-2024, 05:10 PM
Puddle full of urine

Pablo
04-12-2024, 05:20 PM
Puddle of Bluebluud

rfaulk34
04-14-2024, 06:23 PM
Full house for a presser. Hundreds turned away.

EDIT: *thousands

https://i.ibb.co/K5gdXCC/IMG-3320.jpg

Pablo
04-14-2024, 06:53 PM
Look how much they love this guy!

Let’s all check back in December and see how much they still love him

displacedinMN
04-14-2024, 07:00 PM
He could have had the NWMO job

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TEX
04-15-2024, 02:16 PM
I don’t have a problem going with a coach is unproven, but would like to have seen at least some tournament success (at least one second weekend appearance).

His teams 3 of the last 5 years finished with a higher KenPom than Kentucky, so make of that as you will.

My main concern is his recruiting, which I know at BYU he is under restrictions as to who he can get. I think he’s a good coach scheme wise and will know how to deal with community, boosters, and fanbase.

But Barnhart (the AD) put him in a shit situation where if he doesn’t win immediately (second weekend by year 2), he’s going to face a lot of pressure. I think Pope can be successful in Lexington but he’ll need more time than someone like Pearl would.

Good points. Will be interesting for sure.

Titty Meat
04-15-2024, 02:22 PM

NIT season incoming

Mr. Plow
04-15-2024, 02:25 PM

Was the Orange Julius open after the presser?

WilliamTheIrish
04-15-2024, 02:29 PM
This is what happens when you lose two in a row in the tournament to the real Wildcats.